Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on July 22, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Israel has bolstered its security presence for the London Olympics amid fears that an Iranian terror squad in Europe may be planning an attack on its athletes, according to a press report Sunday.

Scotland Yard and Britain’s domestic intelligence service MI5 are believed to have raised their assessment of the threat against the Israeli delegation following last week’s suicide attack on an Israeli tourist bus in Bulgaria, the Sunday Times reported.

The Israeli government has reportedly dispatched agents from its internal security service Shin Bet to protect its team of athletes.

***

Agents from Israel’s elite intelligence organisation, Mossad, are hunting Iranian-backed terrorists in Europe, who are allegedly planning an “anniversary” attack 40 years after the Munich massacre, Britain’s The Sunday Times reports.

The fears come as tensions rise over the International Olympic Committee refusal to commemorate the killing of 11 Israeli athletes and coaches by Palestinian terrorists on September 5, 1972.

In preparation for an Olympic terror assault, panic rooms for VIPs and spectators have been set up beneath London’s Olympic Stadium to protect them from being taken hostage or killed, according to The Sunday Times.

***

Taking into account the possibility of an Israeli attack on Iran during the 2012 Summer Games, the Olympic committee in charge of the London event has formed a special team to prepare for the contingency. …

England is thought to be within the range of Iranian missiles and UK officials believe that a military confrontation between Jerusalem and Tehran could involve the country against its will.

The special team listed a number of steps that would need to be taken in the event of such a conflict, among them: opening a special command center, providing secret safe houses for foreign leaders wishing to meet for diplomatic purposes, and preparing for emergency evacuations of dignitaries.

***

International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge won’t budge: There will be no minute’s silence for the Israeli victims of the 1972 Munich massacre at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.

Rogge rejected the latest calls Saturday for a special observance to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the murder of 11 Israeli athletes and coaches by Palestinian gunmen at the Munich Games.

“We feel that the opening ceremony is an atmosphere that is not fit to remember such a tragic incident,” Rogge said.

***

Organisers of the Olympics hit back on Sunday at cynics after weeks of negative headlines, saying criticism over planning mistakes and costs were being outweighed by a surge in public excitement as the gala opening ceremony nears.

Britain’s famously caustic media, which have highlighted security and transport problems before the July 27-Aug. 12 Games, also seemed to adopt a more positive stance as thousands turned out to cheer the Olympic torch relay through London.

“I think possibly what we’re going through as a nation, as a city is that necessary, pre-curtain-up moment of psychological self-depression before the excitement begins on Friday when the curtain goes up,” London Mayor Boris Johnson told the BBC.

“The mood is perceptibly changing. People are starting to get really excited here in London about the arrival of the torch …. The last remaining clouds of dampness and Olympo-scepticism are going to be banished,” he later told Sky News.

***

The athletes and the Olympic torch have arrived in London – and so has the party.

For those keener on celebrity-spotting or dancing the night away than medal counting, the British host city has plenty of action to offer during games time.

Away from the track and field, Hollywood royalty such as Brangelina and Nicole Kidman will be rubbing shoulders with diplomats and businessmen at the city’s glitziest clubs and grandest historic buildings.

Meanwhile, Dizzy Rascal, Snow Patrol and other musicians will keep crowds entertained at outdoor concerts across the capital…

***

Olympic athletes are giving up their personal physical data in exchange for the latest gadgets that record sleep, diet and exercise patterns as they try to boost their performance in this year’s games.

Several health technology companies plan to use the athletes’ data to help re-engineer the tracking devices and later reposition the products for the amateur sports performance market or the $61bn weight loss market.

“These are early-phase trials to see how it works,” said Kevin Sayer, president of DexCom, which has donated its continuous glucose monitors to several US athletes. “We’re open to learn.”

Many of the technologies have been developed since the last Olympics and executives at a number of health-tracking companies are looking to the London games to increase their exposure.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

See, nothing in there can be honestly construed as meaning “I’m angry at you because you said you’re going to stay home on election day”. No, I’m frustrated at the notion that he could even WANT, or claim to want, to stay home

Are you deliberately playing stupid? OC **doesn’t** WANT to stay home on election day. Everybody who has read this blog for a week knows that. The comment he made wasn’t about Romney, it was about the effect your little hero Bluegill and her garbage has on people. I initially gave you the benefit of the doubt of not being here long enough to know where either Bluegill or OC was coming from but DarkCurrent pointed out you have in fact been here at least several months. Long enough to know what you’re doing. You’re not fooling us anymore, you’re a troll. FO.

shaloma on July 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You know nothing about my parents so maybe you should base your opinion of me on what I’ve posted on these boards since joining in October, 2011.

It is interesting though that you haven’t done a little digging to learn more about the person you’re so staunchly defending.

Good day sir/ma’am.

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Are you familiar with the term “Moby” as it relates to internet forums?

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I didn’t read the lastest salvos before I commented a few minutes ago. I would say from this point on CanofCrap is a waste of time engaging. You regularly offer pearls on this blog, I’m not sure pigs are worthy of them.

I’m off to work.

shaloma on July 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM

CanofSand, you don’t happen to be clutching at your peals too tightly are ya?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

peals=pearls

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM

shaloma on July 23, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Are you even following along? He posted that he in fact DID want to. I don’t even care if he was being facetious, because it wasn’t in a “haha, just kidding” manner. It was the sort of manner I was talking about, the “I don’t like Romney so people like you make me not want to vote for him” way. Which is disgusting. bluegill could have been 100 times more despicable than however despicable he’s been and I’d still not condone such a post. There’s no logical reason there to WANT or even SAY you want to stay home.

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Ah, and here comes the good old “I got here first” elitism. I don’t have to know your parents to know what the prevailing attitude of good parents wanting to raise their kids right has been for centuries now. I apologize if I offended you by assuming your parents were at least half decent.

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Truth be told, my digging consisted of looking to see whether I’d run into bluegill before in my previous posts, as I posted about this anti-Romney attitude before during the primaries. I found I hadn’t run into him, but I did run into certain others.

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM

CanofSand, you don’t happen to be clutching at your peals too tightly are ya?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I’d say so. The hysterical moralizing is kind of a new tactic, don’t you think? This might just be a new specimen, heretofore not seen at Hot Air.

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM

The hysterical moralizing is kind of a new tactic, don’t you think?

Reminds me of CSDeven actually.

Eren on July 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Hey, next time you could call me a “goodie-two-shoes”. That one’s a classic for people who know they’re doing the wrong thing but would rather attack others as “holier than thou” than do any self-reflection.

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Ah, and here comes the good old “I got here first” elitism.

Uh no, actually I was giving you a reference of when I joined HA so you could know how far back in HA’s archives to start looking for my comments here.

And I suggest you do check my previous comments before making that hole you’re digging any deeper.

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Oh, lookie a new Hall Monitor and I didn’t even know there was an opening!

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Eren on July 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM

You came into this thread decrying what you interpreted as “rudeness.”

Please point out to me what I have said to you that would warrant such rudeness as this toward someone you’ve never had any dealings with before and hour ago?

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Reminds me of CSDeven actually.

Eren on July 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM

This one seems to be just as relentless! I said I wasn’t going to respond to him anymore, so I am just going to say, I have not yet seen the error of my ways, so my time for self reflection is not at hand. As for the goodie-two-shoes part, I knew he reminded me of someone. My older sister was an awful tattletale, and she made it worse by informing me she was doing it for my own good.

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Who was it that was calling you passive-agressive?

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Very cranky, must not be a morning person. ; )

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

It just reminded me of all the nasty charges that were flung around, so to speak, at anyone disagreeing with him. Taking people completely out of context. Resistant to any sort of logical argument.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Cindy, sorry, I should have waited till everyone had begun to digest their breakfast.

Eren on July 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

The term “passive aggressive” is currently interchangeable with “STOP DISAGREEING WITH ME!” by several commenters. If you can’t make your point the go to is pop psychology. Insulting parents is a new twist, very classy.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM

You came into this thread decrying what you interpreted as “rudeness.”

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Since you haven’t provided a response I guess we can assume your comments against rudeness were hypocritical.

Which would explain why you feel the need to defend another proven hypocrite.

CanofSand Go pound it! And if you think that’s rude, good for you, you’re catching on.

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM

O f course, I’m not a morning person, but I’m also not cranky. Well in the morning at least. ; )

CanofSand, what kind of music do you like, its still QOTD. You could cue up a tune.

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I already admitted I’m a hypocrite. At least it was a slow buildup egged on by people I’m ashamed to admit should be my political allies instead of instantly piling on someone who didn’t even say anything rude in the thread. But hey, forget about that; the thing that really bothers me is the “I won’t vote for Romney” attitude and anything that hints at it, even from those who elsewhere say they’re going to do so anyway. There’s too much riding on the election to put up with that crap. I don’t usually comment here since it’s largely a waste of time, but that’s what put me over the line.

Anyway, you practically asked for that one. Surely you of all people can appreciate this given your “anything goes” “standard” for those who bother you enough; it’s not like I went *that* far. You took offense at “I’m not sure what you think you’re gaining by continuing to defend an attitude that is clearly against the ideals of your parents (most likely) tried to instill upon you.” (And don’t pretend you didn’t. Actually, I wasn’t even assuming anything about yours parents – but you did reply with “You know nothing about my parents”, as if I claimed to.) I completely stand by that statement: Such ideals are right, and those make trollish sport poking at others for attempting to, shall we say, bitterly cling to such ideals are a drag on society.

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Well now I have seen it all…someone actually defending bluegill.

This is a first, bluegill, or whatever name they are posting under now, since she/he has been banned prior. Actually found some doofus to defend him/her…amazing.

I guess the old adage of their is someone one for everyone holds true, even with bluegill. But then, we have people who adore Obama, so finding someone to defend bluegill is just a step lower…

right2bright on July 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

So, you won’t be cuing up a tune?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Fine, no tunes, I’m out of here. Never trust someone who won’t cue up a tune.

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Here’s the last song for this QOTD

(I hope no one’s offended by a little under-hanbok)

DarkCurrent on July 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

DarkCurrent on July 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I had no idea he could sing! Nice.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

So, you won’t be cuing up a tune?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I will do it for him in honor of Key West Reader. It’s one of her favorites!

Night Owl on July 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM

You do like to parse words, don’t you? Even your own.

What you did by bringing my parents into the discussion is try to create a strawman argument to divert from the topic of what we were discussing.

I will have no further interaction with you because you’ve already proven that you will twist other people’s words, as well as your own, to fit whatever narrative you’re trying to establish.

Oh and those “ideals” you mentioned. I’ve taught them to my 6 children who are now teaching them to my 12 grandchildren.

I won’t be presumptuous enough to suggest your parents never taught them to you.

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I had no idea he could sing! Nice.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Only the Chinese parts. My costar Kim Hee-sun sang the Korean parts ;)

DarkCurrent on July 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Key words you’re ignoring: “most likely”. The statement was about common ideals held by most Americans (especially parents), and thus most likely held by whoever raised you – though not necessarily. It wasn’t meant to bring your parents into this in any way. That should have been obvious. It seems you’re rather sensitive on that topic, so sorry if you were offended, but I’m not going to apologize for posting that bit about common ideals in the first place as there’s nothing wrong with it.

Too bad you don’t follow them. Seriously – “he deserves whatever harassment he gets” (paraphrased) is what you said earlier. Do I really have to spend even more time pointing out what’s wrong with that attitude? Yet you still pretend it is justified, and your trollish buddies cheer you on and join in.

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

DarkCurrent on July 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Darlin, I’m just a hick Redneck ‘Merican, I can’t tell the difference. The tone and notes were good though.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Darlin, give it up. You have jumped into something that has a history, making your rules of etiquette unusable and very one sided.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Reminds me of those yankees who move to FL then expect businesses to change their long-standing practices because, “that’s not how we do it up north.”

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM

The male parts are Chinese, the female parts are Korean. The charm arises in the interaction :)

DarkCurrent on July 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Just like in my dealings with progressives, none of you have yet to even attempt to actually counter my argument (and no, the word game red herrings don’t count). “History” my rear end. Two wrongs don’t make a right, no matter the “history”. We’re not talking about a necessary evil needed to win a war, or something. It’s all just a big ol’ cop out with you.

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Flora Duh on July 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I have never understood that, I guess all they were fleeing was the weather. I assume they would think state taxes would be swell!

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Okay, let’s play it this way. No one needs you to go on a blog and promote your set of rules. Why don’t you mind your own business? Anonymous people being rude to anonymous people is for the most part harmless and if the Hosts of the site have a problem, trust me, they know how to reach the offenders. It’s not your job.

Cindy Munford on July 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Since I don’t see a thread up yet on this, thot I’d post it here. Not to promote the website and articles, but the auto refresh feature.

This page will automatically update every 90 seconds On Off

Is this something that HA could do? Give commenters a choice on this automatic refreshing?

bluefox on July 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

CanofSand on July 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Not sure what your argument even is. You just seem cranky. Perhaps if you had a tune to go with the crankiness it might shed some light on what you want?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM

bluefox on July 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

You can turn the auto refresh off you know?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

bluefox on July 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM

You can turn the auto refresh off you know?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I’ve tried a couple of suggestions, but they don’t seem to work. I know about the auto/ads etc, but not the auto refresh.

Please share your secret:-) Thanks,

bluefox on July 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Please share your secret:-) Thanks,

bluefox on July 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Which browser?

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Here is a start. I may be in, but mostly out today.

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Bmore on July 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Thank you, I’ll check it out!!

bluefox on July 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Is the ugly fat Mooch still leading the American delegation to the Olympics?

jqc1970 on July 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM