San Francisco eyes outdoor smoking ban… except for pot, of course

posted at 3:31 pm on July 21, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

No matter what your personal feelings may be about smoking, it still may be worth your time to keep an eye on how, where and when the government regulates that particular activity. There are any number of public buildings, offices and general access facilities where even I will agree that the local government can put a ban on lighting up. When it comes to the great outdoors, however, their reach seems to exceed their grasp, in my never very humble opinion. But San Francisco appears poised to try just that.

Supervisor Eric Mar said he introduced the proposal because of the health impacts of secondhand smoke when people light up in public.

“It’s widely known that secondhand smoke is responsible for as many as 73,000 deaths among non-smokers each year in the United States, and there is no safe level of exposure,” he said.

Like Alameda and several other Bay Area cities, San Francisco already restricts smoking in outdoor seating areas of cafes and restaurants, as well as near building entrances and vents. San Jose has similar smoking restrictions.

But even if they do it, they won’t ban all smoking it seems. The exception?

“It’s carefully crafted also to exclude smaller neighborhood organized events such as block parties. And also, importantly, it does not prohibit the use of medical cannabis,” Mar said.

Well, obviously you’d make the important exemption for people smoking pot. I mean, we’ll tell you not to light up a Lucky Strike or open a beer, but we’re not going to get between you and your weed. We’re not animals for God’s sake.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m thinking I’m going to be banned before today is over.

If I am, love to all.

If I’m not… Woo hoo!

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Can you imagine a traffic jam where everyone is mandated to smoke a joint?

Not bad.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Could very well be the answer to Hostess Brands impending bankruptcy.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

LOL just realized while reading this I was watching south park smug episode where they slam the hippies of San Fran.

dmacleo on July 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

That’s a great one, love the quotes of Clooney from an award ceremony too!

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Shouldn’t the streets be littered with our corpses by now?

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Let’s not give the Progressives any encouragement, shall we?

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I’m a 32 ouncer when I’m on the road to Orlando.

By golly by gosh, if Mikael Bloomers gets his way I’d be lucky to have.. a big giant glass of government.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

See, that kind of comment is exactly what makes you so unpleasant.

For the third time:

Excessive consumption of big gulps is harmful for only the individuals who make that decision, but putting cigarette smoke in the air is harmful to both smokers and any nonsmokers who happen to be nearby.

I don’t particularly care if someone endangers their own well-being through foolish decisions, but if MY well-being is endangered by someone else’s stupidity, then I DO care. As for not wanting to be associated with “someone like me,” I can assure you the sentiment is mutual.

It’s clear, though, that I won’t be making a dent in your willful ignorance, so I’ll be leaving this thread now. Congratulations, that means you win this internet argument by default. Go have a smoke to celebrate… and invite a few people who share your lifestyle, perhaps Obama.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Well, hey, they got a water bar in NYC, why not a Choom bar in San FranSkyhigh?

stukinIL4now on July 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Nope, I’m a conservative. Nice try, though. And thanks for the reminder as to why conservatives dislike libertarians.

Now, don’t you have some important business to attend to? People to see, tricorns to wear, Gadsden flags to wave?

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

My great-grandmother lived to the ripe old age of 94 and I can’t remember a time she didn’t have a cigarette in her mouth.
YOU, however, might want to get checked for cervical cancer or a yeast infection.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Could very well be the answer to Hostess Brands impending bankruptcy.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Really? Really?

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM

So if someone gets high on second hand marijuana smoke and has an auto accident, can they blame the smoker?

Does the smoker get the ticket for a second hand inhaler driving erratically?

Just trying to clarify the fine points..

KenInIL on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

San Francisco, one of the true bastions of “my body, my choice” rights theology, proves itself to once again be a complete and utter fraud.

I am against most smoking bans, as I use “my body” to make “my choice” to shop, dine, be entertained elsewhere, where cigarette (or any other) smoke isn’t present.

I’m very much a follow-your-own-bliss libertarian when it comes to such matters.

That being said, anyone that decries the lack of hardcore physio-scientific research on the hazards of cigarette smoke (or, again, any other smoke, including that from weed/ganja/whatever), be it first or secondhand, is just being silly.

I don’t need some doctor or lab geek in a white coat to tell me that ingesting smoke into my lungs is a pretty retarded thing to do — any more than I need anyone to tell me that climbing up an industrial smokestack and hanging my face over its blowhole is harmless.

THEY’RE. YOUR. LUNGS. Chuh!

But for any others that find ingesting smoke into their main breathing organs to be pleasurable, sensible, or harmless… have at it. (Seriously. No snark.) Your body, your choice.

Dion on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

awwww…someone hurt the poser’s wittle feewings.

Are you mad sweetie?

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I am quite irritated that the “conservative” sites are harping on the fact that they are not trying to apply the ban to medicinal cannibas, as if they included medicinal cannibas into the ban that would make it right. Neither should be banned. Cannibas shouldn’t require a medicinal permit, one should be able to buy it just like Liquor or Tobacco. The garbage that comes out of a car exhaust is much worse than what is coming off a cigarette or joint, yet nobody wants to ban that either (well at least not yet in NYC and SF). Stick with the concept of individual liberty, many of the younger conservatives don’t want to frame the cannibas question in the Hippies vs Crew Cuts of the 60s and the culture wars that they fought. Leave that debate to an ignorant and gullible generation that was raised on a total of three TV broadcasting channels that pigeonholed the national debate into such a thin spectrum that it is no wonder we have ended up in the political and economic situation that the younger generations have reluctantly inherited.

LevStrauss on July 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Does the smoker get the ticket for a second hand inhaler driving erratically?

Just trying to clarify the fine points..

KenInIL on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

No. Liability follows the owner of the vehicle.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM

know what’s cool on weed? robot boxing

Slade73 on July 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Dion on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Very well said.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Today was the day that I buried my Daughter.

Courtney Everett Smith

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Smoking in public — BAD.

A city-sanctioned “fair”
featuring homosexual acts in public, on public streets, on a Sunday afternoon, every year, sponsored by a BEER company (Miller) – GOOD.

This SNL Pelosi sketch was funny, only because it was all true, although note the nervous laughs from liberal audience.

Pelosi: “This office is non smoking”

Leather guy: “It’s just pot.”

Pelosi” “OK.”

San Francisco used to be the pearl of American cities. Now it’s just a cesspool.

fred5678 on July 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM

You, me and probably a majority of “boomers” were around smokers regularly – in the home, in the office, in cars (the ashtrays weren’t for pocket change then), on the bus, in restraunts and bars, in clubs even on friggin’ airplanes….

Shouldn’t the streets be littered with our corpses by now?

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

When we were kids and car pooled to parochial school all the moms smoked in the car, after church in fellowship everyone smoked. In the doctors office all the expecting mothers smoked, on the supermarkets everyone smoked. Hospital lobbies had cigarette vending machines, on and on…

OmahaConservative on July 21, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Does the smoker get the ticket for a second hand inhaler driving erratically?

Just trying to clarify the fine points..

KenInIL on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I’d venture to say that to get “high” on second-hand marijuana smoke would take an effort tantamount to being a willing participant….i.e. you’re sitting in a small unventilated room where a fair amout is being smoked.

The casual inhalation of cannabis is going to give you a THC buzz about as often as the casual inhalation of tobbaco is likely to give you a Nicotine buzz.

But hey, whatever.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

What in the he11 is taking the San Andreas fault so long??

Eren on July 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Getting close to time. Locked at the ‘kink’, a seismic gap, just north of San Fran and has been storing up stress since 1906.

Now, not saying anyone should, but if a few million knuckle-draggers from the mid-west went on vacation to SF, and stood on the east side of the fault zone, and jumped up and down in unison…

Yoop on July 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I was hoping you’d linked to a study, rather than an assertion.

notropis on July 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

lol, how much detail do you need? That link I provided was quite specific about many angles of the cigar thing, including the increased output of nasty stuff caused by the cigar wrapper itself.

But if you want more detailed scientific mumbo-jumbo, there have been studies done in other countries, not just here, including studies done in China and South Korea.

Also, 2009 study here in the states measured one specific carcinogen (Cotinine). http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091118154619.htm

And this study proves that another spcific compound in second hand smoke, reactive oxygen species (ROS), is also a cancer-causing agent.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Today was the day that I buried my Daughter.

Courtney Everett Smith

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

So very sorry for the loss of your daughter, KWR. A prayer sent your way for you and yours.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

NYC, LA and San Fransisco should have a mandatory bath salts ingestion day. After the zombies are put down, we can move people with common sense into the empty cities. Problem solved.

Cyhort on July 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Cyhort on July 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

You’re gonna need this:

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Legal, American-grown tobacco that messes up your lungs: evil
Illegal, cartel-grown marijuana that messes up your lungs and mind: awesome

Strange folks, those Californians

Stoic Patriot on July 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Scarbarian on July 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

That study ended 14 years ago. A few minutes ago I posted links to a couple of far more recent studies.

Likewise, that study began in 1960. When that study began, technology, especially medical technology, was no where near as advanced as it was when that study ended, so the early results may or may not be accurate.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

KenInIL on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM

You obviously never attended a Grateful Dead concert!

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

And politically correct driven science has blossomed in the past decades so the more recent study is much more likely to be tainted by that, than the earlier one.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You obviously never attended a Grateful Dead concert!

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

lol….au contrair….I was a willing participant….!!

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Nothing worse than losing a child. Hold on to the memories…

If you have other children, give them hugs and love every day.

Barred on July 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM

You obviously never attended a Grateful Dead concert!

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

What did one Dead-head say to the other when they ran out of pot?

A: THis music sucks!

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

If I could have figured out sooner there is a major difference between Andrew Dice Clay and Andrew Lloyd Weber, I might still be married today. :-)

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Then again, sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Heh.

Solaratov on July 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

lol….Hilarious.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Prayers ascending for you…

OmahaConservative on July 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Thank God I still live in the Free State of Missouri. After work tonight I’m going to walk into my local bar, drink a beer, and smoke to my heart’s content. F*** California, and their fascist politicians.

As a young Marine I loved liberty in San Diego. I will never enter the state of California again if my life depends on it. They will never again receive another dime of my tourism money.

quikstrike98 on July 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

KWR – I can’t imagine the anguish of losing a child. So sorry to learn of your loss. Thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter.

Andrew

Hill60 on July 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Addendum–this is why I’m no longer most closely defined as a Republican, Libertarian, or whatever. I’m a secessionist. I don’t want these people in the same country as me, sending legislatures to cram their totalitarian sh!t down my throat, and having a say in who will be my chief executive. If they want to live as caged pets, begging for whatever crumbs of liberty their politicians choose to drop for them, good for them. Just do it without inflicting it on me, and they can’t seem to do that.

quikstrike98 on July 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

You’re rather humorless, aren’t you?

That’s not gonna serve you well when you get old and need someone to change those Depends.

Solaratov on July 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

God Bless you and yours KWR…

BlaxPac on July 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

…and they only keep dogs to hunt helpless animals.

Socratease on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

…..and in case lil barry obama drops by for dinner.

Solaratov on July 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Isn’t this just like San Francisco! Tobacco will only kill you (and make you smell bad). Weed will make you stupid and lazy and then kill you (and still make you smell bad). But Duuuuude! It makes me feel so groovy, so it can’t be all that bad!

Benedict Nelson on July 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Shouldn’t the streets be littered with our corpses by now?

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Remember when airlines gave away free mini-packs of cigarettes?
And every C-ration and LRRP-rats meal came with a pack of cigarettes and book of matches?

Solaratov on July 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Benedict Nelson on July 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

oh good….

Another amateur psycho-pharmacologist citing hard facts and studies to validate a hyperbolic, stereotypical and nonsensical view.

you go sweetie!

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Today was the day that I buried my Daughter.

Courtney Everett Smith

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I’m really sorry to hear that, KWR.
My condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Solaratov on July 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Remember when airlines gave away free mini-packs of cigarettes?

Solaratov on July 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Was just discussing this very issue with my buddy’s dad (Korean war Vet).

He started smoking in the army……then quit in the mid-sixties (way before quitting was “fashionable”)

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

awwww…someone hurt the poser’s wittle feewings.

Are you mad sweetie?

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

…nooooo…I think it’s called a menstruation cycle!

I’d help…but you can post links…not pads!

KOOLAID2 on July 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Today was the day that I buried my Daughter.

Courtney Everett Smith

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

…I’m sorry to hear that Key West Reader…you have had a lot on your plate lately.
My condolences and prayers are with you. You are a strong woman.

KOOLAID2 on July 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

“Jerry Brown’s suede denim secret police
Have come for your uncool niece.”

ConservativeLA on July 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Courtney Everett Smith

RIP with the angels.

So sorry KW.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

OMG. Bwaaahhh. Dave is not here.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Bless you KWR.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Don’t drink Coke on a hot day. Drink home made Iced Tea. Its way more refreshing and will keep you cool. Lemon Ice is good too to keep you cool.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Can’t wait till Dire and Munford see this thread Pic.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

A good cigar is medicinal. It keeps me calm enough not to smash some hippy dippy chemically brain damaged nanny state fascist’s skull into his bong.

locomotivebreath1901 on July 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Fire up the Choomwagon. The Bay Area never ceases to amaze me. But then again, they built a very large civilization on one of the world’s biggest and most active fault lines. That’s pure genius.

No end to the madness. They think they are soooo smart, those Silicon Valley folk.

Philly on July 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I’m sorry for your loss, KW.

Philly on July 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Today was the day that I buried my Daughter.

Courtney Everett Smith

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

How awful for you. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

lexhamfox on July 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Dion on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I’m not disagreeing with you as such, but I want to point out that your argument doesn’t work against their “second-hand smoke is a danger to others” logic.

listens2glenn on July 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

2nd hand pot smoke has no effect.

Dollayo on July 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I’d help…but you can post links…not pads!

KOOLAID2
on July 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Or Midol.

listens2glenn on July 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Today was the day that I buried my Daughter.

Courtney Everett Smith

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Nothing I say will make any difference, but I am sorry for you and everyone who loved her.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I live in the heart of SF, in the Mission. Eric Mar is the supe who took the happy out of Happy Meals because he found a bunch of McDonalds toys belonging to his daughter in some drawer. A bunch of the progressive supes are up for reelection soon and hopefully this city will get its head out of its ass and send these carpetbaggers back from whence they came. I’m not holding my breath.
There is lots and lots of new money rolling into the city these days; hopefully the folks attached to those bank accounts will say “enough” of this liberal BS but I doubt it. BTW I believe you can smoke in bars here if you’re the sole proprietor and the only employee and you either smoke or don’t care if your customers do. I know there’s one bar in Oakland like that but none in the city I’m aware of. However there is a good chance the gubment put a stop to that too and I didn’t catch it. And of course no CCW for us common folk.
Key West Reader I’m sorry for your loss. That is unimaginable to me.

Helen A Handbasquet on July 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Helen A Handbasquet on July 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

That city needs to get a LOT of things “out” . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on July 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Christ, at a 1996 concert in Atlanta, the ushers were kicking people out for smoking Tobacco, while helping (and “intercepting”) pass joints.

I had to crawl under my seat and cup it to take a puff of 100% LEGAL TOBACCO.

100% ILLEGAL Marijuana, visible everywhere.

“A Republic, if you can Keep It”.

Who is John Galt on July 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

“1. Nicotine improves attention in a wide variety of tasks in healthy volunteers. 2. Nicotine improves immediate and longer-term memory in healthy volunteers. 3. Nicotine improves attention in patients with probable Alzheimer’s Disease,” [Warburton D M, "Nicotine as a cognitive enhancer," Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, 16(2): 181-91, Mar l992]

davidk on July 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

“Improvement in attention, learning, reaction time, and problem solving have been reported…. Different processes, including attention, stimulus evaluation, and response selection, appear to be involved in the effect of nicotine on human information processing.” [Le Houezec J, Benowitz N L, "Basic and clinical psychopharmacology of nicotine," Clinics in Chest Medicine, 12(4):681-99, Dec l991].

davidk on July 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Well, obviously you’d make the important exemption for people smoking pot.

That isn’t what the article said at all. Why the mischaracterization?

Dante on July 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM

That’s funny. Dave’s not here.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I’m sorry for this sad anniversary but I hope you know that we are thinking of you and praying with you.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM

That’s funny. Dave’s not here.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Whatever you do, don’t answer the phone.

davidk on July 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Eh, let’s ban fat women in spandex. Starting with Janet Napolitano.

Sorry for that visual.

/Not

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I fail to see what relevance this has to a discussion of smoking bans. Fat women in spandex are not threats to my health or yours.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

THAT fat woman is.

Barnestormer on July 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM

LMAO WHAT?

Ronnie on July 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

San Francisco eyes outdoor smoking ban… except for pot, of course

Yes. Yes, indeed. As well as crank (crystal meth) and crack. Those are mere recreational, ignitable drugs, that may or may not have “second-hand” effects on innocent bystanders (the sick, the old, the very young, the unwary).

minnesoter on July 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Neither is someone else’s smoking.

Dante on July 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM

In Iowa you can’t even smoke outside at their rest stops. We have a tendency to think that the nanny states are all on the Left Coast and the northeast.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Anywhere with dems in office

Ronnie on July 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

If I recall correctly, Dennis Prager has said numerous times that many tests have proven number of second hand smoke deaths has been vastly inflated.

My mother, who lived over 30 years with a lifelong smoker, developed a lung disease that many medical people said was caused by my father’s second hand smoke. There was quite a business in therapy to help people like my mom. Well, the businesses eventually failed. Later I learned that she’d caught the flu in the 1918 epidemic and her lungs, in particular the alveolar region of the lungs (which is where oxygen and carbon dioxide are passively exchanged by diffusion) never fully developed. In other words, her lungs never functioned to their capacity to exchange the gases her entire life. Eventually (over age 75) this inability caught up with her. She passed on at age 81, mostly without diagnosed lung problems – a couple of doctors, upon learning about her poor lung development, concluded it wasn’t 2nd hand smoke that caused her problems.

We need to watch these power hungry people who want to control us – their data is often wrong but letting go of the possible power and control would be very difficult for them.

MN J on July 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

davidk on July 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Have seen positive studies using a variety of stimulants….from caffeine to methamphetamine.

Strange.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Hey, it’s not funny. Second-hand smoke killed my hamster. It is that lethal, my friends. And not only that, in terms of what we know from international statistics provided by the United Nations council on human rights, second-hand smoke kills more people, per annum, than are killed by smoking 2 packs of Kools (or Newports) per day. I am not kidding.

Big Tobacco, in affiliation with Big Pharma and the drug cartels of Mexico and Latin America, are in it for the quick, easy buck. Trust me on this. My Uncle Tim worked for ATF. He’s retired now and living in Boca Raton. But anyway, this is serious business. I gotta go now.

minnesoter on July 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hey, it’s not funny. Second-hand smoke killed my hamster.

minnesoter on July 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM

lol…..now that’s friggin’ hilarious!

Only here would you see those two sentences together.

(I’m loving this place tonite)

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

KWR:
Prayers for you and yours.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM

KWR, prayers and hugs to you.

INC on July 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar

LMAO WHAT?

Ronnie on July 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Yeah I think we all had that reaction, Ron’.

Overwhelming incredulity. How do you NOT laugh ?

listens2glenn on July 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM

davidk on July 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Strange.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Cigarettes conjure up images of those cool white men in 1950s movies, TV shows and ads smoking…oh, and they drank liquor, too. Seems the Left feels that everything associated with 1950s America MUST BE DESTROYED)!

All that prosperity, and the HUAC, FBI and Tailgunner Joe stomping all over Commies and making them crawl back under the woodwork…bad times for the Reds.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM

davidk on July 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

What is utterly unique about nicotine is that it enhances alertness and calms at the same time. All other drugs known do one or the other, along with an inverse relationship between the two. Only nicotine enhances both simultaneously.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 22, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Outlier.

aengus on July 22, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I do not smoke – but, to paraphrase Martin Niemöller – before they come for me – I will defend the rights of those who do.

There is not one credible, peer reviewed study that has shown second hand cigarette or cigar smoke is any significant danger to anyone. And it certainly would not be a risk to a casual passer by who happened to smell some smoke.

ArthurMachado on July 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Second hand weed smoke can get you fired if your company drug test but cigarette smoke won’t.

docflash on July 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

“It’s widely known that secondhand smoke is responsible for as many as 73,000 deaths among non-smokers each year in the United States, and there is no safe level of exposure,” Supervisor Eric Mar

I spent a lot of time in The City beginning in the late 60s and this is just a natural progression of its downward spiral, the examples are legion. Hell, by 1970 The Haight (Haigh / Ashbury) was all heroin addicts crashed in doorways, etc. and Market St. downtown was littered with wall-to-wall panhandlers – who made a damn good haul every day.
So now, the laggards who panhandle downtown can just chill out with some herb while they stick out their tambourines for contributions to the “homeless” – so they in turn can buy more herb from a “dispensary” where they’ve been diagnosed with “depression”.
Scam City, the freeloaders capitol. Ya gotta love it.
By the way … A product of the Mission District, Carlos Santana, just celebrated another birthday.
Rock on, Carlos!
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on July 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

dobedobedo

mkenorthshore on July 22, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Does the smoker get the ticket for a second hand inhaler driving erratically?

Just trying to clarify the fine points..

KenInIL on July 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM

One can’t get high from second hand marijuana smoke. I once had an OUIN arrest. The female tried to make the claim she was “high” because she inhaled second hand marijuana smoke. The Michigan State Poilice lab sent an expert to support our case that the female was under the influence on her own inhaling. The expert testified that they had performed numerous studies with individuals in a small room where then ventilated marijuana smoke into the room. They had tested these individuals before, during, and after being exposed to this smoke. In short the conclusion was a person could not get high enough to be under the influence to effect their driving under Michigan Law.

Conservative4Ever on July 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 22, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Had never heard this, always assumed it was just a low-grade stimulant….confirmed your statement via a quick google check of nicotine’s pharmacodynamics.

lol….No friggin’ wonder it’s so hard to kick.

Tim_CA on July 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

The combination of improvement in alertness and calm contributed to the explosion in cigarette consumption by military members during WWII. Today we would call it a “force multiplier with unacceptable long term hazards”.

jimd3 on July 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM