San Francisco eyes outdoor smoking ban… except for pot, of course

posted at 3:31 pm on July 21, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

No matter what your personal feelings may be about smoking, it still may be worth your time to keep an eye on how, where and when the government regulates that particular activity. There are any number of public buildings, offices and general access facilities where even I will agree that the local government can put a ban on lighting up. When it comes to the great outdoors, however, their reach seems to exceed their grasp, in my never very humble opinion. But San Francisco appears poised to try just that.

Supervisor Eric Mar said he introduced the proposal because of the health impacts of secondhand smoke when people light up in public.

“It’s widely known that secondhand smoke is responsible for as many as 73,000 deaths among non-smokers each year in the United States, and there is no safe level of exposure,” he said.

Like Alameda and several other Bay Area cities, San Francisco already restricts smoking in outdoor seating areas of cafes and restaurants, as well as near building entrances and vents. San Jose has similar smoking restrictions.

But even if they do it, they won’t ban all smoking it seems. The exception?

“It’s carefully crafted also to exclude smaller neighborhood organized events such as block parties. And also, importantly, it does not prohibit the use of medical cannabis,” Mar said.

Well, obviously you’d make the important exemption for people smoking pot. I mean, we’ll tell you not to light up a Lucky Strike or open a beer, but we’re not going to get between you and your weed. We’re not animals for God’s sake.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

For once, I’d love one of these liberal morons to actually provide, ONE, JUST ONE, medical study that proves second hand smoke does anything. Lies, more lies and nothing but lies…

riddick on July 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Oy vey!

rbj on July 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

so what will they do about people smoking blunts???? This is why i moved out of my home town sold all my property there and moved north . You will get no tax revenues from me nut jobs.

mojack on July 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

San Francisco is just like any other typical American city — minus the reason and sanity.

Mutnodjmet on July 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM

riddick on July 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

whbates on July 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

O_o

Seven Percent Solution on July 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM

That’s “Medication”, baby.

Would you even think of getting between me and my antibiotics?

I thought not.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

To quote The Diceman: “You can’t light a Marlboro in SF but you can’t smoke the baloney pony all day long”.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Is it? 73k deaths?

Can anyone show me one verifiable autopsy or coroner’s report that actually lists “second-hand” smoke as a primary or secondary cause of death?

This is right up there with the myth of settled science regarding global warming or cooling, climate change, man-made climate change…

No argument…smoking in and of itself is unhealthy. But, adults do unhealthy things all the time. Adults should pay for their own mistakes and choices.

What next, banning soft drinks or table salt?

If second-hand smoke is sooo dangerous…why the exception for “medical marijuana?”

Second-hand smoke is second-hand smoke, right?

Did you know there are companies that will terminate your employment if they find out that you smoked on your own patio last week? Tobacco. Not illegal regular (non-medical) grass. Tobacco

But…this is San Francisco, once was a truly wonderful place to visit, to work, to live in…but not so much anymore, unless you’ve “progressive” indelibly tattooed on your forehead.

Can’t be “exposed” to second-hand smoke…but if you decide that the Castro Street Fair is not your cup of tea, you will be identified and labeled forever as some sort of intolerant rube…probably a member of the Tea Party or worse.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Heh.

notropis on July 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I do so hope SF is in the earthquake fault? Is there any chance ‘the big one’ will haul it into the Pacific anytime soon? Is there ONE thing good about that town that it should still be around?
L

letget on July 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

“Dave’s not here.”

albill on July 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

My favorite player is Peyton Manning and I wanted him to go the the SF 49ers b/c I though they gave him the best chance to win, that they could be a dynasty.

Now in hindsight, I’m glad Peyton didn’t go to that liberal cesspool, they don’t deserve him!!

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

“Don’t answer the phone!”

“Hey, is that you, man?”

BuckeyeSam on July 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

We weren’t expecting reason orfairness or respect for the rights of others from the SF crowd were we? After all… they’re progressives… moving FORWARD !

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

riddick on July 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I would also be curious to see a medical study on the effects of second hand marijuana smoke.

But there is research showing that second hand tobacco smoke is very bad for you. And second hand cigar smoke is quite possibly the worst.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Sgt. Stadanko sees nothing.

BuckeyeSam on July 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

L

letget on July 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Yes, SF is on the fault.

SF is beautiful, if you can simply ignore many of the people there. One of the most interesting climates in the world, and some beautiful geography.

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

It’s like… duuuude.
I mean, like, this is better than “total absorption” and “roof hits” it’s like good for you, and stuff. That other smoke gets total down twinkies.

Hill60 on July 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

What in the he11 is taking the San Andreas fault so long??

Eren on July 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I’ve been around the stuff since my late teens and can honestly say that uh…effect none on me… it has uh ever……um…..got any twinkies?

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

And, I have to wonder how many Cigar Clubs are up and running in the City on the bay?

Dozens and dozens, catering to local one-percenters, of course.

Cigar smoking is tres chic. Marijuana smoking is cool, far out, totally awesome.

But working class cigarette smoking…just plain evil, apparently.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Puff… puff.

petefrt on July 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I support letting “experiments” play out in states. Seems that the state of California has kicked the can down to the city level for “experiments”. I say, let it play out.

RushBaby on July 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM

ADC: i’d like to make a collect call.
Operator: is this person to person?
ADC: NO! BIGFOOT TO E.T.!

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Cigar smoking is tres chic.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

lol….I’m begging you……. convince my wife of this.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

OMG that is so funny. Cheech and Chong was on my TV today.

I will forever wonder how the woman who snorted an entire canister of Ajax lived.

/Curious about the filming of it.. How did they do that?

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I was hoping you’d linked to a study, rather than an assertion.

Common sense tells me that breathing smoke is bad, and the more you breathe, the worse, but something that quantifies the risk helps make better decisions.

This is just a recitation of all the bad stuff that’s in cigar smoke, and I don’t think there’s any disagreement about that.

The question is, how much does my inhaling my cigar-smoking buddy’s second-hand smoke increase my risk of emphysema, or lung cancer, or whatever, and for how long and in what concentrations is it actually dangerous? And to answer these questions, it’s useful to have actual studies.

notropis on July 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

If I could have figured out sooner there is a major difference between Andrew Dice Clay and Andrew Lloyd Weber, I might still be married today. :-)

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I also still have the album, intact, with the Big Bamboo rolling paper.

Seriously, I do.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Meh, banning smoking is one case where I’m ok with statism. Excessive consumption of big gulps is harmful for only the individuals who make that decision, but putting cigarette smoke in the air is harmful to both smokers and any nonsmokers who happen to be nearby.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

riddick on July 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Liberals never have proof, only faith. Global warming, Socialism, second-hand smoke…they can’t even provide PROOF of a direct link between tobacco and cancer. There is absolutely NO proof that second-hand smoke causes anything. I believe the WHO released (not publicized widely of course because the results ran contrary to their agenda) a longitudinal study a few years back that found NO effects from second-hand smoke. Liberals are limp-wristed dictators.

jan3 on July 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I also still have the album, intact, with the Big Bamboo rolling paper.

Seriously, I do.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

LMAO.

Everyone I knew rolled a giant fake spliff out of socks or lawn clippings with that thing.

Too funny.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

notropis on July 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

You’re funny. Dry, but funny nonetheless.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Show us the proof that cigarette smoking is harmful to nonsmokers. Did you find that in the same old wives-tale book that said masturbation causes blindness?

jan3 on July 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Eh, let’s ban fat women in spandex. Starting with Janet Napolitano.

Sorry for that visual.

/Not

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I also still have the album, intact, with the Big Bamboo rolling paper.

Seriously, I do.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I rolled mine and smoked it. I also had Up in Smoke on this am. And as to how they did it; it was the ’70′s

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Herbie and Ralph…

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I guess Obama better not make a campaign stop in SF.

Winebabe on July 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Too funny.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

3 lids

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Eh, let’s ban fat women in spandex. Starting with Janet Napolitano.

Sorry for that visual.

/Not

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I fail to see what relevance this has to a discussion of smoking bans. Fat women in spandex are not threats to my health or yours.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Sounds like San Francisco needs the ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM to CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

There is now little that city does that surprises or shocks me these days.

pilamaye on July 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Booze can lead to car accidents, murders, domestic violence and child abuse. Better ban that while we’re at it.

jan3 on July 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

The truly pathetic part is that marijuana smoke is much heavier than cigarette smoke and cigarette smokers don’t hold the smoke in as long as they can. The idea that tobacco causes cancer but weed doesn’t is laughable, but that is what the despicable, lying scumbag left love to claim.

Cigarettes also have the advantage of actually being … legal.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

That paper was friggin’ huge….you must still be working on that bad boy….lol.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

We’re not animals for God’s sake.

Or, as I’m sure San Franciscans would put it, “We’re not Bible-toting, gun-clining, flyover country hicks, for God’s sake.”

KS Rex on July 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

What next, banning soft drinks or table salt?

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Er… yes. Stop by New York City sometime.

Shump on July 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

That paper was friggin’ huge….you must still be working on that bad boy….lol.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

That was almost 40 years ago and I had help.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

“It’s widely known that secondhand smoke is responsible for as many as 73,000 deaths among non-smokers each year in the United States [...]

Oh, yeah?

Name one.

Socratease on July 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

that’s a threat to my eyeballs. and i want it stopped!

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I strongly disagree.

They can produce either spontaneous hilarity or revulsion (depending on the horizontal extent of their body mass, in direct proportion to flab spillage).

This can quickly elevate the blood pressure, causing a heart attack in those afflicted with a host of various cardio and cardiovascular issues.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I’m only quoting you so that you feel special. Everyone deserves to feel special. Once a day.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

that’s a threat to my eyeballs. and i want it stopped!

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Let me know when they give you cancer, and I’ll be happy to join this cause of yours. In the meantime, if you’d stop mocking attempts to protect people from carcinogens, that would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

That paper was friggin’ huge….you must still be working on that bad boy….lol.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM
That was almost 40 years ago and I had help.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

The Big Bamboo is still intact.

I might take it to Pawn Stars. The album is pristine.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Fat women in spandex tend to vote Democrat. That’s a real threat to our health.

jan3 on July 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Fat women in spandex are not threats to my health or yours.

One failed stitch away from a wardrobe malfunction of biblical proportions is indeed a threat to my health, and that of others as well.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Spit my spanish rice right out onto my keyboard
/grumble

RushBaby on July 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Well, of course.

BigGator5 on July 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Neh, I think the Fedrul Gubmint should put a weight limit on Spandex. Then we won’t have to watch Michelle Obama on the tee vee anymore.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM

KWR…nitpicking, again of course…but it is Big Bambu

Big Bamboo is where the Pandas live out in China.

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I didn’t think there was anything worse. They’re all secretly planning to shoot as many innocent liberals people as possible, didn’t you know? Everyone knows they’re worse than Hitler, who at least liked dogs and children. Tea Party members want to take children’s health care away so they’ll die, and they only keep dogs to hunt helpless animals.

Socratease on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

don’t hold your breath. i think it’s silly, just like global warming. you and nanny bloomberg would make QUITE the pair!

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I support this legislation except for the smoking ban

Slade73 on July 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Anxiety and stress are thought to cause cancer. From a BBC report:

In this latest study, scientists from the University of Bergen followed up 62,591 people who had taken part in a medical survey between 1995 and 1997.

The survey was originally used to draw up a national cancer register in Norway to identify those who had developed cancer or abnormal cells that could turn into cancer.

Those involved in the study also took a test to determine if they suffered from anxiety.

According to New Scientist magazine, researchers found that those who scored highly in this test were 25% more likely to have abnormal cells.

Leftists cause anxiety and stress among normal people, therefore leftists ought to be banned as cancer agents.

Your comments are carcinogenic.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

“Dave’s not here.”

albill on July 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

“Ve are killing ze girl tonight, old man…”

yubley on July 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I give as much credibility to that statement as I do to anything relating to “Man-Made Global Warming”.

oldleprechaun on July 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

See my earlier post:

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

If that distinction truly doesn’t mean anything to you, then I think you ought to get your head checked. The government’s job isn’t to protect people from their own bad decisions–on that, we agree. But it IS a valid use of government to protect people from OTHER PEOPLE’s bad decisions.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

L

letget on July 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

:-) I’m pretty sure that San Francisco is in an earthquake prone area. Just a hunch.

Oldnuke on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

coldwarrior on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Don’t mock me, big boy. I misspelled it for a reason.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I support this legislation except for the smoking ban

Slade73 on July 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

But (like San Francisco) you’re OK with pot right?…..you wouldn’t cut off my meds.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

That American Cancer Society Link says the following:

Secondhand smoke includes both the smoke from the end of the burning cigar and the smoke exhaled by the smoker.

Seems to me that if you’re getting the smoke from the end of the burning cigar, that’s the real stuff, baby. Secondhand is what comes out of the smoker.

I have to admit being torn on this one as well. As much as I hate the state telling bar owners what they can allow in their pubs, I always hated coming out smelling like cigarette smoke. But the smokers only have to step outside to imbibe, something they won’t even be able to do in Frisco if this law passes.

JamesS on July 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Is there ONE thing good about that town that it should still be around?
L

letget on July 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM

The Giants

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Prove it, a**wipe. Provide evidence for every single one of those 73,000 deaths.

Dack Thrombosis on July 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

nicotine dulls my raw nerve pain (not many it does this for) from hypersensitive nerves in lower 2 discs. allows me to stand.
swisher sweet little cigars work best.
smell of pot (any amount) makes me puke.
so they going to deny me my medicine?
progressives are really cruel people.

dmacleo on July 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

We can certainly guess what is the drug of choice among SF politicians. (Maybe its regionalism.– “They grow tobacco in the hated South while they grow marijuana in the God(less)’s paradise of California.”)I suppose it is OK if their second hand MJ smoke triggers my son’s asthma “greater medical need Har Har”.

KW64 on July 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

beer and cigarettes cause a lot of damage, they’re far more addictive than cannabis

Slade73 on July 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Wait! I think I see you in this video! One of the parents!

Change Your Pants

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

absolutely. pot is God’s weed

Slade73 on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

JamesS on July 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Then go to non-smoking bars. Of course, the non-smoking places were generally failures so governments decided that they had to overstep their bounds, trample private property rights (the founts of individual liberty, itself) and stop everyone from allowing smoking.

Tyrants and America-haters. That’s all this is about. People who don’t like smoke can hang with others who don’t like smoke. They have no “right” to work in any bar they want and then complain about its smoking policy and patrons have no such right, either.

Funny how people can work in coal mines but smoky bars are too dangerous for anyone to work in. How does that happen?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

MY MOTHER SMOKED IN THE HOUSE WHEN I WAS A YOUNG CHILD AND WELL INTO MY TEENS. I CAN VIVIDLY REMEMBER TALKING TO HER MANY TIMES ACROSS THE KITCHEN TABLE WHILE SHE SMOKED. I AM 40 YEARS AND HEALTHY AS A HORSE. SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE.

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Sometimes I wonder if those second hand smoke deaths are really stealth smokers who say they don’t smoke (a la Obama), but really do on the sly (on the golf course).
I know there are blood tests for nicotine, but how does the doctor know how it got there?

marybel on July 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Nope, I’m a conservative. Nice try, though. And thanks for the reminder as to why conservatives dislike libertarians.

Now, don’t you have some important business to attend to? People to see, tricorns to wear, Gadsden flags to wave?

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Do you claim that weed smoke doesn’t cause cancer? Just wondering …

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

absolutely. pot is God’s weed

Slade73 on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

lol…..go in peace.

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

You may want to see someone skilled in computer repairs. It seems there’s a problem with your capslock key.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

This, plus I smoked for 30 years and do not have cancer.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM

KW64 on July 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It’s not regional, it’s generational. Lots of young pot smokers hate cigarette smokers because they remind them of their hated parents.

Lefties always have problems with their parents and their parents are always correctly disappointed in them.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

No, I don’t. Sorry if it seemed like that’s what I was implying.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM

LOL just realized while reading this I was watching south park smug episode where they slam the hippies of San Fran.

dmacleo on July 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Well, you’re certainly fortunate then. However, an anecdote does not constitute proof.

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

california could be a greatest state in The Union.

We just need to get rid of San Francisco, LA/Hollywood, Sacramento, and the communes on the Oregon border. And then, move the state capital to right-thinking San Diego.

VastRightWingConspirator on July 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Los Angeles air is worse than smoking. Far worse. LA needs to be evacuated and shut down. It’s too hazardous to live in.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Your humor is dry.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

notropis and Del Dolemonte… Here is a link to one of the biggest, and most cited, second hand smoke studies which was published in one of the most respected Journals in the world.

The whole thing is an interesting read, but the Abstract is all you really need to know regarding the 73k deaths per year hysteria…

Abstract

Objective
To measure the relation between environmental tobacco smoke, as estimated by smoking in spouses, and long term mortality from tobacco related disease.

Design
Prospective cohort study covering 39 years.

Setting
Adult population of California, United States.

Participants
118 094 adults enrolled in late 1959 in the American Cancer Society cancer prevention study (CPS I), who were followed until 1998. Particular focus is on the 35 561 never smokers who had a spouse in the study with known smoking habits.

Main outcome measures
Relative risks and 95% confidence intervals for deaths from coronary heart disease, lung cancer, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease related to smoking in spouses and active cigarette smoking.

Results
For participants followed from 1960 until 1998 the age adjusted relative risk (95% confidence interval) for never smokers married to ever smokers compared with never smokers married to never smokers was 0.94 (0.85 to 1.05) for coronary heart disease, 0.75 (0.42 to 1.35) for lung cancer, and 1.27 (0.78 to 2.08) for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among 9619 men, and 1.01 (0.94 to 1.08), 0.99 (0.72 to 1.37), and 1.13 (0.80 to 1.58), respectively, among 25 942 women. No significant associations were found for current or former exposure to environmental tobacco smoke before or after adjusting for seven confounders and before or after excluding participants with pre-existing disease. No significant associations were found during the shorter follow up periods of 1960-5, 1966-72, 1973-85, and 1973-98.

Conclusions:
The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.

Scarbarian on July 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

So SECOND HAND pot smoke is healthy?

GarandFan on July 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Can I get a coca cola?

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM

and you might want to see someone that specializes in removing heads from backsides. it’s people like you that i have a probem with. you want everything to be rainbows and butterflies and oh God forbid something is unhealthy or someone offends your delicate pansy, candy-ass sensibilities. no normal AMERICAN thinks, or wants to be associated with people like you.

eat me.

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

So SECOND HAND pot smoke is healthy?

GarandFan on July 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Errr, that depends on your perspective.

Personally, I think that it should be MANDATORY, but I’m just a freak.

Can you imagine a traffic jam where everyone is mandated to smoke a joint?

Not bad.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

GhoulAid on July 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

You, me and probably a majority of “boomers” were around smokers regularly – in the home, in the office, in cars (the ashtrays weren’t for pocket change then), on the bus, in restraunts and bars, in clubs even on friggin’ airplanes….

Shouldn’t the streets be littered with our corpses by now?

Tim_CA on July 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Can I get a coca cola?

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM

12 ozs …. if you have a Cola Carry Permit :)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM