Free speech in Russia? Ask these punk rock girls.

posted at 5:01 pm on July 21, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

As far as Russia goes, we “tore down that wall.” And the Russians have been occasionally putting on public entertainment spectacles which, on the surface, bear some resemblance to elections. So is freedom ringing in the home of our old cold war nemesis? Freedom of speech doesn’t seem to be, particularly if you’re a member of a certain punk rock band, the name of which I won’t type in here myself.

Three members of female punk group Pussy Riot who derided President Vladimir Putin in a protest in Moscow’s main cathedral had their spell in jail extended by six months on Friday in what their lawyers called a show trial dictated by the Kremlin.

The women, who have been held in pre-trial custody for almost five months, face up to seven years in jail on charges of hooliganism for storming the altar in multi-coloured masks to sing a “punk prayer” to the Virgin Mary to “Throw Putin Out!”

For the time being, I’m just going to assume they really like cats. Who doesn’t like cats?

The original actions of the band members were undoubtedly offensive to some of the Russians in the cathedral – and obviously to the government as well – but the resulting punishment should come as a shock to most Americans. They’ve already spent more time behind bars before even getting a full trial than anyone in the US would get as full punishment for something like this. And I have a feeling that Putin’s folks are far less upset about the sacrilegious nature of the protest than the message they were putting out.

Putin is still holding Russia in an iron grip, either directly or through his puppets. And while they put on a pretty good show for the international media, not much has changed in terms of day to day life for regular Russian citizens. (Though for the well heeled and politically well connected, there are some millionaires being made these days.) But freedom of speech? I’m afraid that’s still a fantasy for Russians.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

But freedom of speech? I’m afraid that’s still a fantasy for Russians.

And soon, Americans

Joe Mama on July 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Russian chicks are sooooooool hot!

KMC1 on July 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Putin is visited by the Ghost of Stalin and he asks how can I keep control when the people want democracy.

“Well” says Stalin “you must do two things: First shoot everyone who speak or acts in favor of democracy. Second you must paint the Kremlin blue.”

“Why blue” interupts Putin

“Ah good good” says Stalin, “I knew you would not have a problem with the first one.”

KW64 on July 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Like AllahPundit and his cats?
Punk rock had always been a vehicle for a loud and raucous way of saying the government sucks. Most just can’t understand what they are saying or they are getting their azzes handed to them in the mosh pit.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Furies

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

…we’ve lost “free speech” in this country…it’s called political correctness!

KOOLAID2 on July 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Dude.

Key West Reader on July 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

This is real Punk music!! Now they have instant credibility – too bad MTV doesn’t play music anymore.

Mangofish26 on July 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM

P*ssy Riot Member Talks about Detention Conditions
April 24 2012

******************************************

P*ssy Riot-Punk Prayer.mp4
Mar 10, 2012
*************

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You are leaving much out, Jazz.

Russian police raid opposition leaders’ homes ahead of anti-Putin rally

There is no freedom in Russia and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Putin is KGB to the core. Once KGB, always KGB.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

=====================

*Puts hand up*,…..yes,I too have 3 Kitteh`s!!

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Pussy Riot’s brazen act was part of a protest movement against Putin’s 12-year dominance of Russia that at its peak saw 100,000 people take part in winter demonstrations in Moscow.

What about the other 100,000 people who demonstrated? I imagine the anti-Putin message they were pushing doesn’t help their case, but if that was the primary reason for their trouble wouldn’t we be seeing thousands in jail rather than three?

They did this in a cathedral and Putin is using the understandable outrage to his own political advantage. Russia is not a free country, but 100,000 were allowed to protest and so could these three.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Putty Riot’s brazen act was part of a protest movement against Putin’s 12-year dominance of Russia that at its peak saw 100,000 people take part in winter demonstrations in Moscow.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

=====================

*Puts hand up*,…..yes,I too have 3 Kitteh`s!!

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Me too.
Two eat cat food. :P

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Russian police raid opposition leaders’ homes ahead of anti-Putin rally

There is no freedom in Russia and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Putin is KGB to the core. Once KGB, always KGB.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

JPeterman:Gawd,I hope,Pelosi isn`t taking any notes,from Putin!:)
(sarc).

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM

More outrage that never got covered here.

US Ambassador Mike McFaul vents on Twitter about Russian media

The U.S. ambassador to Russia was back at it again Thursday on Twitter with questions about how Russian media gets hold of his schedule, raising broader concerns about surveillance during a time of tension between Washington and Moscow.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Me too.
Two eat cat food. :P

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM

AllahsNippleHair:Cat food eh!:)

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yeah just look at Green Day same type of stupid message.

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Yeah just look at Green Day same type of stupid message.

Green Day is not really considered punk. Esp. in that horrendous broadway musical with a orchestra and pretentious young folks singing their songs. Bad Religion and NOFX =punk! Green Day=sold out!

Mangofish26 on July 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Comrade, you are only hearing bits and pieces of these stories.

Russian Police Arrest Anti-Putin Protesters

300 arrested per that one article/demonstration…..that we know of.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yeah just look at Green Day same type of stupid message.

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Green Day is not punk rock, it’s studio hotness wrapped in vag cream.
I’m talking Bad Brains, Black Flag, Fear.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Mangofish26 on July 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Alt Rock suites Green Day better than Punk.

lester on July 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM

*suits

lester on July 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Green Day is not punk rock, it’s studio hotness wrapped in vag cream.
I’m talking Bad Brains, Black Flag, Fear.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

LOL.

Big punk rock fan are ya?

Never heard of those guys. I do like alot of stuff… Godsmack and STP are a few of my favorites.

Actually been listening to country the last couple of years too — it’s good to listen to something where they don’t hate America or aren’t a bunch of liberal dbags.

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Comrade, you are only hearing bits and pieces of these stories.

Russian Police Arrest Anti-Putin Protesters

300 arrested per that one article/demonstration…..that we know of.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I am not a comrade, and as I said Russia isn’t a free country.

I just don’t see attacking a cathedral as an expression of free speech.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Green Day is not punk rock, it’s studio hotness wrapped in vag cream.
I’m talking Bad Brains, Black Flag, Fear.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

LOL.

Big punk rock fan are ya?

Godsmack and STP are alternative music. Good music but not punk. Black Flag is a hardcore punk band fronted by Henry Rollins.

I could care less what political ideaology someone has as long as their music is good. Everyone has a right to their opinion even if it’s wrong. That’s how I can listen to the Dixie Chicks while rolling my eyes at their politics.

Mangofish26 on July 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Green Day is not punk rock, it’s studio hotness wrapped in vag cream.
I’m talking Bad Brains, Black Flag, Fear.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

LOL.

Big punk rock fan are ya?

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Godsmack? STP? Oh dear. That’s not punk.
Do some research. 80′s SoCal scene.
I’m talking punk, not, I’m gonna say some bad words and play some scary notes and call it punk.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Meanwhile….back at the KGB Ranch……

Russia officially joins World Trade Organization
21 July, 2012, 20:15
*********************

Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed the bill ratifying the country’s accession into the World Trade Organization after 18 years of complicated negotiations.(More…)

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quick someone get the word out to “Code Pink” that there is an urgent need for them to protest in Russia!

Momma on July 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

So, does Tom Jones now sing “What’s new Putty Cat?”

rgranger on July 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

LOL Godsmack. An Alice in Chains cover band.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Godsmack? STP? Oh dear. That’s not punk.
Do some research. 80′s SoCal scene.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Settle down buddy….

Guess I should’ve clarified… not saying Godsmack and STP are punk… just saying that’s the kind of stuff I like.

And Notorious GOP: Godsmack is much better than Alice in Chains ever thought of being! :)

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Russia has freedom. They’re free to do what they’re told.

squint on July 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Here you go.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Mangofish26 on July 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Green Day *was* Alt-Rock, no where NEAR Punk. But even as a Alt Band, that was in their WAY early days, before they hit big studio time.

Now, they’re just another bunch of whiny “Look at me, I matter!” singers that are as edgy as a baby rattle.

BlaxPac on July 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Godsmack? STP? Oh dear. That’s not punk.
Do some research. 80′s SoCal scene.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Settle down buddy….

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Oh, you just did not say Godsmack is better than Alice in Chains.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You have to love the USA…news from mother Russia says they continue to be under the boot of the KGB and we’re discussing who’s music is punkier.
I love my country!

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Oh, you just did not say Godsmack is better than Alice in Chains.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Yeah I did…. you heard that right!

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Momma on July 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Well, they *do* have experience protesting in St. Pats Cathedral in NYC, so they would be a shoo-in in Russia!

Of course, we didn’t lock them up in a Russian style prison…BUT they will be out of way for the rest of us!

Brilliant trade!

BlaxPac on July 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I love my country!

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I hear ya!

Punk rock though?? Do you seriously like that garbage? LOL

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM

There’s free speech and then there’s just making a nuisance of yourself.

Cleombrotus on July 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Who is thinking something to the effect of “Hitler finally takes Moscow”?

Count to 10 on July 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Oh, you just did not say Godsmack is better than Alice in Chains.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Yeah I did…. you heard that right!

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Alice in Chains came on the scene 20+ years ago and they are still played. Godsmack, what, early 2000, and crickets

I love my country!

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I hear ya!

Punk rock though?? Do you seriously like that garbage? LOL

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yep. My first concert, Circle Jerks.
I like all music except cRap and only limited country.
My iPod is a schizo mix of classical and punk, grunge, early 70′s, big 80′s.
And, yeah, I like Godsmack, but it’s not punk and I like Alice in Chains better.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Momma on July 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Brilliant trade!

BlaxPac on July 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Somehow, I think those nuts would love Russian prison.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

No wonder the Russians hate us. We’re exporting our very best, aren’t we?

Cleombrotus on July 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Mangofish26 on July 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Some would even argue with NOFX being punk. I agree that Green Day is not. Whenever I hear that “I Walk Alone” song I have to lol. As for female punk bands, nothing beat Red Aunts.

Go RBNY on July 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

There’s free speech and then there’s just making a nuisance of yourself.

Cleombrotus on July 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

If it’s too loud, we’re too old.
Yes, I call the cops if the music is too loud after midnight. And, earlier if it’s cRap.
I also tell kids to get of mah lawn.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

But freedom of speech? I’m afraid that’s still a fantasy for Russians.

I’m not sure disrupting and mocking services at the nation’s biggest church would quite be considered “freedom of speech” here either.

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Yep. My first concert, Circle Jerks.
I like all music except cRap and only limited country.
My iPod is a schizo mix of classical and punk, grunge, early 70′s, big 80′s.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The Exploited > Circle Jerks

Oh and punks don’t use ipods…

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM

But freedom of speech? I’m afraid that’s still a fantasy for Russians.

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You remember that spectacle at that San Fran Cathedral a couple of years ago. Pride costumes and insanity disrupting services.
No jail time.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM

No jail time.
AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM

If no charges are pressed, crimes usually are not prosecuted.

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Pussy Riot

What kind of riot gear is used for this?

faraway on July 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

P*ssy Riot

What kind of riot gear is used to fight this?

faraway on July 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Yep. My first concert, Circle Jerks.
I like all music except cRap and only limited country.
My iPod is a schizo mix of classical and punk, grunge, early 70′s, big 80′s.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The Exploited > Circle Jerks

Oh and punks don’t use ipods…

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Are you calling me a poseur?
I like the Exploited, DK, etc. whatever.
My rock wheel and razor set up doesn’t work anymore, I have to use the iPod.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

No jail time.
AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM

If no charges are pressed, crimes usually are not prosecuted.

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Not saying it’s right, but if you were smoking or spouting conservative speak, you might get arrested.
Just saying they didn’t get 6 months in jail.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Are you calling me a poseur?
I like the Exploited, DK, etc. whatever.
My rock wheel and razor set up doesn’t work anymore, I have to use the iPod.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I am calling you a poseur…but in total jest. I am the same way…just glad that there is someone on here that doesn’t listen to Lee Greenwood 24/7.

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Punk died in the 70′s.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Just saying they didn’t get 6 months in jail.
AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Would have made sense if they did this protest at a political meeting instead of disrupting a church service. Bad PR, if nothing else.

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Russia remains as the biggest showcase of stupidity after American victory in the history of the nation.

Speakup on July 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

This it what pisses me off about these twits…they protest Putin by trashing a Christian church service? How brave.

For once I wish you Christians would get pissed off and fight back for once.

No one respects you guys anymore.

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM

My band was invited to play Skate Fest last year in Moscow but it fell through. I was kind of relieved to be honest.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Oh I like this conversation! These girls make pretty terrible music. But hey, that IS kinda punk. Although I prefer mine with some semblance of actually musical ability. But here you go.

Real punk rock:
Bad Religion – Them and Us

Boomer_Sooner on July 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Okay, so I was kind of hoping the judge was Anna Chapman.

So shoot me.

Seth Halpern on July 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

For once I wish you Christians would get pissed off and fight back for once.

No one respects you guys anymore.

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Respect isn’t what most Christians care about … let alone in Russia.

Mangofish26 on July 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Just saying they didn’t get 6 months in jail.
AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

No doubt. But, doing it in a church, they knew they wouldn’t be shot in the head. Christians are good people, they won’t accidently slip you an isotope in your tea.
I don’t like it, but they knew they would be safe.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Nofx – The idiots have taken over.

Boomer_Sooner on July 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Boomer_Sooner on July 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

It’s more something like “performance art” than music. For something touching on punk girl’s music you’d have to look elsewhere, e.g. “Snatch-IRT”.

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Are you calling me a poseur?
I like the Exploited, DK, etc. whatever.
My rock wheel and razor set up doesn’t work anymore, I have to use the iPod.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I’m giving you the two finger salute. Lmao!
There’s a lot of us running around here.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Punk died in the 70′s.
Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I beg to differ.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Meh, if your fav band ever got paid for a gig, then they aren’t punk.

The phrase “sell-out” means something right? And if you are going to use that metric you should be fully on board with BHO’s income tax plans.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Are you calling me a poseur?
I like the Exploited, DK, etc. whatever.
My rock wheel and razor set up doesn’t work anymore, I have to use the iPod.
AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM
ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

High Five!

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Nofx – The idiots have taken over.

Boomer_Sooner on July 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

If it weird that I am a conservative but The War on Errorism is my favorite NOFX record?

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Punk died in the 70′s.
Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I beg to differ.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Music to my ears.
My hair covered nipples are hard.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Meh, if your fav band ever got paid for a gig, then they aren’t punk.
Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Not necessarily. Punks gotta eat too.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Meh, if your fav band ever got paid for a gig, then they aren’t punk.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, yeah, you gotta pay for the glue in your hair and all those safety pins.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Meh, if your fav band ever got paid for a gig, then they aren’t punk.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

What about GG Allin? I’d say he (was) legitimately punk.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

The dudes are Canadian and total leftist vegan whinnies but they sure now how to rock. Best punk band in my opinion.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Finally, a thread on Hotair that intertwines my two favorite topics. Conservatism and punk rock.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Meh, if your fav band ever got paid for a gig, then they aren’t punk.
The phrase “sell-out” means something right?
Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Reminds me of a Frontline episode from about 2001 titled “Merchants Of Cool”.

whatcat on July 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

You missed nothing, the Russian mafia prey on American’s and all other tourists too. Don’t believe the hype and pretty pictures you see of the place.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

You need to stick around for a QoTD. People post music, relax, pinch trolls. It’s like a carnival.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Best punk rock album ever. For a conservative, if you can get past and ignore the substance(again, they’re Canadian leftists) this record will rock your socks off if you’re into rock with a lot of energy.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I felt that after the collapse of the soviet union, we should have put a boot heel on the ashes. But, like those losers that whistfully praise Che, we didn’t realize a money grubbing Russia could be just as dangerous.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Hey man, greatest knows no allegiance! It’s a well produced, energetic, and highly contagious album.

I’m right there with you. But I listen to everything. I might jump from Nofx, to the temptations, back to Taylor Swift, then on to muddy waters. In every genre, there’s a handful of people who do it great, artists, and then a ton of crap. I try to ignore the rest when possible. Authenticity is always the key.

Boomer_Sooner on July 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That’s what I was afraid of. It seemed kinda sketchy from the get go. Was pretty happy, in a weird way, that it didn’t work out.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Boomer_Sooner on July 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I’m the same way. Though punk rock will always be my number one love and the music I like to create I thoroughly enjoy Bjork, Billy Holiday, Radiohead, Saves the Day etc.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Nofx – The idiots have taken over.

Boomer_Sooner on July 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Poseur skate punk trash…

Real punk:

Minor Threat

ok end of my tongue-in-cheek punk legitimacy battle.

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I want to like Russia, I really do. But they’re making it rather difficult.

O/T:

As far as Russia goes, we “tore down that wall.”

That’s OK, because they didn’t build that! :P

Mr. Prodigy on July 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM

My brother and I hitched a freighter from Estonia to St.Petersburg and planned to stay there and hike around the country for at least a week. We left after a day and a half and hitched a ride with truck driver back into Finland.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Godsmack first came out with “Whatever” in 1996 – so 16 years of going strong… 4-5 big selling cd’s and they are touring right now.

16 years is pretty impressive for a rock band — and their lead cd did not OD like Alice in Chains!

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

ClassicCon on July 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

…out of step with the world!

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

They are a Riot.

Put in.

profitsbeard on July 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM

LevinFan on July 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Yeah? And?
I heard the Rooster this past Monday. Godsmack, nope.
So, if you OD, you’re no good, huh?
Janis, Jimmi, and Jim might disagree.

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Good on Putin.

This scum stormed a sacred site and they’re getting what they deserve.

It seems that Russia is re-awakening to Conservative values just as the US turns away.

sartana on July 21, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I beg to differ.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Then you’d be wrong.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Wow, now I am really happy it didn’t work out. Ha, we did a mainland Europe and UK tour last Sept. It was a blast. Spain was by far the best place to play. We opened for a punk band on Fat Wreck Chords called the Flatliners at some bar in Barcelona. For never having played in Spain before, it was awesome that people new us and actually came out to the shows. Some of the best shows we have had. Even better than many here in the US.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Then you’d be wrong.
Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Hardly.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Comrade, you are only hearing bits and pieces of these stories.

Russian Police Arrest Anti-Putin Protesters

300 arrested per that one article/demonstration…..that we know of.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I am not a comrade, and as I said Russia isn’t a free country.

I just don’t see attacking a cathedral as an expression of free speech.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Sometimes JPeterman says “comrade” to indicate that he is from that part of the world. He’s — he’s — one of them. :)

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I beg to differ.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Then you’d be wrong.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I’m gonna MOON you!

AllahsNippleHair on July 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Hardly.

jawkneemusic on July 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Do you understand what punk is?

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM