Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on July 20, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

An eager audience forgoing sleep to take in the midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” instead were witnesses Friday to a bloody mass shooting at a suburban Denver movie theater. Police said a man clad in black threw a canister that spewed smoke before he opened fire. Witnesses said that at first, they thought it was a prank or a stunt. Then the gunman shot steadily at the audience, not speaking.

***

The man suspected in the mass shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater screening of the new Batman film early Friday had colored his hair red and told police he was “the Joker,” according to a federal law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

At least 12 people were killed in the rampage and 59 were wounded.

…Witnesses to the shooting described him as wearing a gas mask that concealed much of his face and head. But the federal law enforcement source’s information about the suspect’s appearance fits with a statement from New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, who was briefed by Colorado authorities Friday. …

Police say Holmes, 24, dressed head-to-toe in protective tactical gear, set off two devices of some kind before spraying the theater with bullets from an AR-15 rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and at least one of two .40-caliber handguns police recovered at the scene.

***

Jordan told the paper that one girl was struck in cheek, others in stomach including a girl who looked to be around 9-years-old. …

“Like little explosions going on and shortly after that we heard people screaming,” he told the station. …

The youngest victim reported was a 6-year-old being treated at Children’s Hospital Colorado, where a total of six victims were taken. Their condition wasn’t known.

***

Now, even as we learn how this happened and who’s responsible, we may never understand what leads anybody to terrorize their fellow human beings like this. Such violence, such evil is senseless. It’s beyond reason. But while we will never know fully what causes somebody to take the life of another, we do know what makes life worth living. The people we lost in Aurora loved, and they were loved. They were mothers and fathers; they were husbands and wives; sisters and brothers; sons and daughters, friends and neighbors. They had hopes for the future, and they had dreams that were not yet fulfilled.

And if there’s anything to take away from this tragedy, it’s the reminder that life is very fragile. Our time here is limited, and it is precious. And what matters at the end of the day is not the small things, it’s not the trivial things, which so often consume us and our daily lives. Ultimately, it’s how we choose to treat one another and how we love one another.

***

“Our hearts break with the sadness of this unspeakable tragedy,” Romney said, according to a rush transcript. “Ann and I join the president and first lady and all Americans in offering our deepest condolences for those whose lives were shattered in a few moments, a few moments of evil, in Colorado. I stand before you today not as a man running for office but as a father and grandfather, a husband, an American. This is a time for each of us to look into our hearts and remember how much we love one another and how much we love and how much we care for our great country. There’s so much love and goodness in the heart of America.”

***

The telegenic schoolmarms we call pundits are all denouncing the politicization of the tragedy in Aurora, calling out the crass opportunists who would dare to use human suffering to advance their preferred public policy choices. I feel terrible about what happened in that movie theater, and I’m agnostic about gun control, but there is nothing wrong with politicizing tragedy.

The talking heads don’t like it, because they think of politics as a silly game about who sang out of tune and whose words can be used against them and whose surrogate undercut whose message, but politics is about life and death and human suffering. At least that’s what it should be about. …

…But politics matters, because policies matter. “Obamacare” and “gay marriage” are not just issues that might play badly with swing voters or turn the tide in Virginia; they’re issues that affect people’s lives. Gun control and the Second Amendment are issues, too, and now seems like a pretty good time to talk about them.

***

***

“Soothing words are nice,” Bloomberg said during a regularly scheduled appearance on WOR 710 AM in New York. “But maybe it’s time the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they’re going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country. And everybody always says, ‘Isn’t it tragic?’”

“I mean, there’s so many murders with guns every day,” Bloomberg continued. “It’s just gotta stop. And instead of these two people, President [Barack] Obama and Governor [Mitt] Romney talking in broad things about, they want to make the world a better place. OK, tell us how. And this is a problem. No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them, concretely, not just in generalities, specifically, what are they going to do about guns?”

***

The only fitting response to a terrible crime like this is silence or prayer. The idea that acts of mass murder reflect Hollywood violence is absurd; you can’t get more violent than King Lear. It’s true that guns are more convenient than hatchets as mass-murder weapons; they are also more convenient for self-defense. Defense and attack are generally on par in the long blood-stain of human history, and this is the wrong moment for political agitation for or against gun control. (If such laws really did “control” guns it might be different. But as matters stand, if we outlaw guns, we had better outlaw crime also.) A whole generation has been reared, in many parts of society, without the moral compass of biblical religion. Does that make any difference to the rate of violent crime? I don’t know and, again, this is the wrong moment to argue about it. In human life, savagery is a given. God knows we all wish it weren’t.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Legends!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Anyway… there.. that’s my confession. I hope no one is disappointed.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:16 AM

*in my best Elaine B. voice* Get.OUT!! LOLOL

No, no disappointment at all. Funny you mentioned it, but I believe it IS your writing style that made me assume. Well, that & the whole “jack” thing.

I’m still laughing. That’s way cool….jack. :)

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Just A Little Lovin’

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM

It has nothing to do with returning to some Golden Age, or Eden. They’re not that deep.

Liberals are narcissists. They believe every fart that comes out of their brain smells like roses. Therefore, you should do everything they say.

If only you’d listen and obey!!1!

John the Libertarian on July 21, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Here’s a lullaby for those of you going to sleep. Do not click if you plan to stay awake beyond the next 5 minutes.

DarkCurrent on July 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Yes, that applies in my case also. I understand what you are saying, I truly do. Again, I will pray for you.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Thanks!

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 2:23 AM</blockquote

I assure you… its nothing like THAT! I'm all woman, have been all my life!

Although, having to actually SAY it feels a lot like 'coming out'!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:29 AM

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Hahahaa

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:32 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Thanks, Grace. That’s a relief! I’ve been looking for a way to say it… but it never seemed right… so I just took the plunge!

I guess my writing style is a reflection of working in a male dominated career field. If you want to be competitive, you adapt.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:32 AM

All Mama’s Children

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I assure you… its nothing like THAT! I’m all woman, have been all my life!

Although, having to actually SAY it feels a lot like ‘coming out’!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Wasn’t sure if you would even get that. I am used to my niece staring at me like I am speaking Swahili sometimes.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 2:33 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Oh… I got you! LOL!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM

jack, I wouldn’t worry about it. I think all anyone cares about around here is that you’re words reveal a good and decent person.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM

John the Libertarian on July 21, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Good evening, John. How’s it going?

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:36 AM

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Can’t wait for the other late nighters to wake up & read that. LOL.

As you said, I’m sure we’ve all referred to you as Dude, Man, Sir, etc. Sorry, I’m still laughing.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:37 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Thanks, Nova, I appreciate it. We’re all sort of disembodied here. Intellect and character take center stage.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:38 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I’m sure it will come as a shock to some people. Its one of the reasons I sort of picked my company to bring it up.

As for laughing, go ahead.. I’m laughing, too. You have no idea how awkwardthis has been at times!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Deep River Blues

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:41 AM

jrsrigmvr on July 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Just wait until Bmore asks for a pic of you wearing go go boots.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Absolutely! I guess I’m laughing so much b/c I am usually the last one to assume a commenter’s gender, but I am definitely guilty this time. :)

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM

DON’T think so! LOL! I have to retain SOME mystery!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:45 AM

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:39 AM

I can imagine re: awkward. Please understand that I am laughing at myself…for making assumptions. It makes me want to go back & read all the threads. But, I won’t.

So…welcome again, jack. :)

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM

jrsrigmvr on July 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Great tune.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Just wait until Bmore asks for a pic of you wearing go go boots.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM

ROFLMAO

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:48 AM

How’s it going?

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:36 AM

It’s going splendidly, and I owe you a note. :)

John the Libertarian on July 21, 2012 at 2:50 AM

jrsrigmvr on July 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Ahhh. That was my senior class’ song. Great one.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:50 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Thank you, Grace! Its good to have that sorted out!

If you did read those threads, you’d likely find that I just don’t generally mention anything that can be construed as a tell. It comes from years of wanting my work to stand on its own.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:51 AM

The ultimate tragedy is that the murderer was the only one armed.

Dollayo on July 21, 2012 at 2:52 AM

John the Libertarian on July 21, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Splendidly…. that sounds… splendid! You know where to find me.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:52 AM

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 2:51 AM

That’s a brilliant strategy in your line of work. Did you always write in that style, or did you adopt it over the years?

If I were going to go back to old threads, it would be to see how many times I (and others) replied with a “Thank you, kind sir,” or some such. lol

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:57 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Wow, haven’t heard or played any Ry Cooder in AGES. Cool.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Had the blues the other day. Couldn’t figure out why. Then Barry told me it wasn’t my doing, someone else built those blues.

If I ever find the sob, I’m gonna kill ‘em.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM

With extra Flaco!

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I think Barry is responsible for The U.S. Blues.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 3:04 AM

New Lee Highway Blues

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 3:06 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Good question. I write in that style unless I’m working. If I’m working, I write in the point of view, the voice, of my character or narrator.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 3:07 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Made me laugh!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 3:08 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Man… slide and all! Too cool.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Must.Go.To.Bed.

Goodnight guys and gals. ;)

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 3:14 AM

A lullaby for you, Grace. You know I had something special for you.

I Think It’s Going To Work Out Fine

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 3:17 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Good night, Grace. I’m out, too. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 3:17 AM

enjoy I’m off

throw the bums out
Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 21, 2012 at 3:23 AM

jrsrigmvr on July 21, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Good one.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I’m out too.

Dreams I’ll Never See

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Users of bath salts have experienced health issues including hallucinations, paranoia, violent behaviour, heart attack, kidney failure, liver failure, suicide, and an increased tolerance for pain.

I guess there is no end to how stupid some people are.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Shirley, you jest, my dear, Sharrukin!!! Millions of Obamabots, who are worse off today than they were 4 years ago, will flock to the polls in November to pull the lever for OOOBOMMMMAAAAA,OOOBOMMMMAAAAA,OOOBOMMMMAAAAA!

Yes, we can … be unemployed, braindead members of the Cult of OOOBOMMMMAAAAA for FOUR MORE YEARS! YES, WE CAN! YES, WE CAN!

Have you ever seen this?

HowObamaGotElected.com

Resist We Much on July 21, 2012 at 3:58 AM

An armed citizenry definitely would have done much to reduce the scale of carnage in this horrible situation. Even with the body armor, they could have shot him in the face, that gas mask wouldn’t have stopped it. Also, depending on the level of the armor, a 500 magnum, for example, could have at least knocked him off his feet which could have given people a chance to get on top of him and/or get through follow up shots to areas where there was no armor. Also, (and I don’t mean to sound like a nut here, but I mean this in all seriousness) if we allowed open carry of, for example, higher power weapons like AR-15s, those could do a lot to render the body armor useless. In Israel, you see civilians in restaurants rocking AR-15s. That’s the way it should be here. The faster and more efficiently these inevitably arising scum can be put down, the safer we’ll all be.

WhatSlushfund on July 21, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Resist We Much on July 21, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Thats exactly what I am afraid of and I am not confident that Romney or the GOP will pull the rabbit out of the hat. Obama’s June fund-raising numbers were not less than Romney’s as so many were predicting, it was more. The congressional Democrats also out-raised the Republicans. We shall see.

And don’t call me Shirley!

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Mornin’!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Good Morning! Shhh! Don’t wake up the baby!

Naturally Curly on July 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Naturally Curly on July 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM

My ‘baby’ is 18. No worries here…and Sheldon,-leave the blanket ALONE! *Sheldon’s a totally useless tabby.*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM

**whispers** Mornin’. Here’s my take on the Colorado Massacre.

kingsjester on July 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I’m of the belief that, in psychology, liberals need a whole new classification. They aren’t crazy, they don’t fit into any known, acknowledged, or accepted category of the science.

There is something very seriously wrong with liberals, but no one knows what. I bet if you ask a liberal, “Why are you liberal?” they can’t give you a solid answer. But if you ask a serial killer why he did his thing, he’ll tell you some kind of reason, demented though it might be.

Liberals can’t do that much.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

The reason you can’t identify what it is that underlies Liberal’s motivations is the same reason THEY can’t identify it and that is that you no longer have a coherent frame of reference for doing so.

We overlook the significance of a couple of seemingly innocuous pieces of legislation from the years 1962- 63 and their consequent effects on the national psyche, and that is the Supreme Court decisions in the Engle v. Vitale case which ended officially sanctioned prayer in school, and its offspring in 1963.

That case was immediately followed by and amplified by the Supreme Court decision in 1963 to disallow the reading of the Bible in schools.

Why were these cases so significant? Because they removed a transcendent frame of reference that is critical for the formation of moral reasoning in the subconcious of the growing minds of the nation’s young at a time when their minds are most capable of developing that attribute.

It gives a coherent context for all subsequent reasoning patterns touching every aspect of a person’s life, whether that be in the secular realm or the philosophical. And it gives society a frame of reference for identifying pathologies in the culture so as to be able to resist, discourage, or eliminate them before they can do their social or psychic harm.

Since those rulings, social pathologies have only increased in the West and where before they were explainable and able to be diagnosed for what they are, today’s sociologists are at a loss to explain them and will therefore, almost certainly, misdiagnose the problem and will recommend correctives that will do nothing to address the underlying causes and more than likely will increase the negative unintended consequences of their misdiagnoses.

We are adrift.

Cleombrotus on July 21, 2012 at 7:45 AM

It is not enough to fire Ross, or Snuffaluffagus.

That is meaningless and it will result in nothing changing.

There are more than enough liberal hacks that would be more than happy to projectile vomit the same nonsense for a smaller salary given the opportunity.

The problem is ABC and all of the other alphabet networks that have utterly abandoned any pretense of objectivity in journalism.

They are advocates for the progressive cause, and all that that implies.

Think of what Disney has done with its broadcasting empire. The Disney Channel (having young daughters, I got to see this first hand) features programming that flies in the face of traditional familial structures, norms and mores.

Rare is the program where a nuclear family is featured, and even when an intact family is on the screen, the parental units are usually portrayed in a negative light. Some shows have situations where the parents are absent entirely.

This is no mistake, this is no accident. This is most definitely deliberate. They wish to advance a message based upon their own worldview.

And that world view is utterly in conflict with the traditional Judeo-Christian morals that underpin our society.

Unplug your cable box, take it back to your cable provider and proclaim I WILL NO LONGER BE LIED TO.

RasThavas on July 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The least you could have done is given me credit for my words, instead of posting them verbatim as your own.

Don’t believe me? Click on my nom de cyber.

turfmann on July 21, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Don’t believe me? Click on my nom de cyber.

turfmann on July 21, 2012 at 7:51 AM

My mistake – click here instead.

Damn it, that makes me mad.

turfmann on July 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM

And that world view is utterly in conflict with the traditional Judeo-Christian morals that used to underpin our society.

RasThavas on July 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

FIFY

Cleombrotus on July 21, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Two things I’m not getting here
1. they say this punk bought 4 guns 6000 rounds of ammo a hundred round magazine plus all the booby trap stuff, where did this money come from???..
2. They say only one person involved, yet he came in though LOCKED exit doors…….

angrymike on July 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM

angrymike on July 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I heard it reported that he bought a ticket and entered the theater, then left through the exit door leaving it propped open. He then retrieved the weapons from his car parked right near the exit and re-entered through the propped door.

No idea where he got the money for the weapons.

Naturally Curly on July 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Naturally Curly on July 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

There is a whole lot more to this story that has not been discovered, yet…or reported, anyway.

kingsjester on July 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM

kingsjester on July 21, 2012 at 8:43 AM

No doubt. Your take on this is a good read, KJ. As usual.

Naturally Curly on July 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Naturally Curly on July 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Thanks!

kingsjester on July 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM

You’re welcome!

Naturally Curly on July 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Flora Duh on July 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM

It doesn’t get much better than waking and seeing a smile on your face. Makes me happy. : )

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

canopfor

This morning I saw your post on how Ed helped inform the folks of Canada that is the coolest thing ever.

Cindy Munford on July 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM

“No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them, concretely, not just in generalities, specifically, what are they going to do about guns?” – Bloomers

Take them away from the punks that infest New Yawk and I might come back, Mikey.
~(Ä)~