Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on July 20, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

An eager audience forgoing sleep to take in the midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” instead were witnesses Friday to a bloody mass shooting at a suburban Denver movie theater. Police said a man clad in black threw a canister that spewed smoke before he opened fire. Witnesses said that at first, they thought it was a prank or a stunt. Then the gunman shot steadily at the audience, not speaking.

***

The man suspected in the mass shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater screening of the new Batman film early Friday had colored his hair red and told police he was “the Joker,” according to a federal law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

At least 12 people were killed in the rampage and 59 were wounded.

…Witnesses to the shooting described him as wearing a gas mask that concealed much of his face and head. But the federal law enforcement source’s information about the suspect’s appearance fits with a statement from New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, who was briefed by Colorado authorities Friday. …

Police say Holmes, 24, dressed head-to-toe in protective tactical gear, set off two devices of some kind before spraying the theater with bullets from an AR-15 rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and at least one of two .40-caliber handguns police recovered at the scene.

***

Jordan told the paper that one girl was struck in cheek, others in stomach including a girl who looked to be around 9-years-old. …

“Like little explosions going on and shortly after that we heard people screaming,” he told the station. …

The youngest victim reported was a 6-year-old being treated at Children’s Hospital Colorado, where a total of six victims were taken. Their condition wasn’t known.

***

Now, even as we learn how this happened and who’s responsible, we may never understand what leads anybody to terrorize their fellow human beings like this. Such violence, such evil is senseless. It’s beyond reason. But while we will never know fully what causes somebody to take the life of another, we do know what makes life worth living. The people we lost in Aurora loved, and they were loved. They were mothers and fathers; they were husbands and wives; sisters and brothers; sons and daughters, friends and neighbors. They had hopes for the future, and they had dreams that were not yet fulfilled.

And if there’s anything to take away from this tragedy, it’s the reminder that life is very fragile. Our time here is limited, and it is precious. And what matters at the end of the day is not the small things, it’s not the trivial things, which so often consume us and our daily lives. Ultimately, it’s how we choose to treat one another and how we love one another.

***

“Our hearts break with the sadness of this unspeakable tragedy,” Romney said, according to a rush transcript. “Ann and I join the president and first lady and all Americans in offering our deepest condolences for those whose lives were shattered in a few moments, a few moments of evil, in Colorado. I stand before you today not as a man running for office but as a father and grandfather, a husband, an American. This is a time for each of us to look into our hearts and remember how much we love one another and how much we love and how much we care for our great country. There’s so much love and goodness in the heart of America.”

***

The telegenic schoolmarms we call pundits are all denouncing the politicization of the tragedy in Aurora, calling out the crass opportunists who would dare to use human suffering to advance their preferred public policy choices. I feel terrible about what happened in that movie theater, and I’m agnostic about gun control, but there is nothing wrong with politicizing tragedy.

The talking heads don’t like it, because they think of politics as a silly game about who sang out of tune and whose words can be used against them and whose surrogate undercut whose message, but politics is about life and death and human suffering. At least that’s what it should be about. …

…But politics matters, because policies matter. “Obamacare” and “gay marriage” are not just issues that might play badly with swing voters or turn the tide in Virginia; they’re issues that affect people’s lives. Gun control and the Second Amendment are issues, too, and now seems like a pretty good time to talk about them.

***

***

“Soothing words are nice,” Bloomberg said during a regularly scheduled appearance on WOR 710 AM in New York. “But maybe it’s time the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they’re going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country. And everybody always says, ‘Isn’t it tragic?’”

“I mean, there’s so many murders with guns every day,” Bloomberg continued. “It’s just gotta stop. And instead of these two people, President [Barack] Obama and Governor [Mitt] Romney talking in broad things about, they want to make the world a better place. OK, tell us how. And this is a problem. No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them, concretely, not just in generalities, specifically, what are they going to do about guns?”

***

The only fitting response to a terrible crime like this is silence or prayer. The idea that acts of mass murder reflect Hollywood violence is absurd; you can’t get more violent than King Lear. It’s true that guns are more convenient than hatchets as mass-murder weapons; they are also more convenient for self-defense. Defense and attack are generally on par in the long blood-stain of human history, and this is the wrong moment for political agitation for or against gun control. (If such laws really did “control” guns it might be different. But as matters stand, if we outlaw guns, we had better outlaw crime also.) A whole generation has been reared, in many parts of society, without the moral compass of biblical religion. Does that make any difference to the rate of violent crime? I don’t know and, again, this is the wrong moment to argue about it. In human life, savagery is a given. God knows we all wish it weren’t.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8 9

Baxter Greene on July 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Someone can lie in a minute, but it might take five to dig out the truth. It’s one of their nastier tricks. I’m still trying to teach myself to learn to say something like, I doubt it, or that’s not true.

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Was he “the adults are in charge”?

Who is it that’s been collecting famous troll phrases and hauling them out as needed?

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I can’t remember, but I do remember him/her calling conservatives “cons”.

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Are you eating cake?

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I was going to try and temp gg with some peach cobbler fresh out of the oven. She ran off too fast.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Alrighty,I’m bailing out,nite EG,party-on GG,

Everyone,have a great night,considering,what this past 24 hours have been,

Nite All————————————————-:)

Oh,speaking of more MadNess,someone alert,the
Bleed’n Heart-Holier Than Thou Liberals,Canada
also must have gun-control!!
============================

3 people are hospitalized after 2 separate shootings in Toronto – @CP24

Submitted 48 secs ago from http://www.cp24.com by editor

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I only saw an article that stated that he has $97.5 Million in the bank…at the end of June’s spending on attack ads.

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Thanks.

Are you eating cake?

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Nope too full. Cake is really rich – Carrot Cake w/cream cheese frosting.

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Baxter Greene on July 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Liberals need to be right, like a 4-year-old who thinks all his siblings’ toy are his.

That infantile view has never been altered among liberals, they never grew up.

And, in my experience, when someone started smoking pot, his/her development stopped at that age. If someone started getting high at age 12, his/her brain is basically that of a preteen though he/she is now 40.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Glad you liked the toast, but this one’s just between you and me:

Salud, amor, y pesetas, y tiempo para gozarlos.

Which means, apply liberally to affected areas. ;-)

TXUS on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Good evening 4Grace. : )

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Hey there, B! I hope you’re still on that Union Break. You deserve it. Well played. :)

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Good evening, 4Grace!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

1. Don’t use absolutes.
2. Form it into a question?
3. Keep your own clock.
4. Use “I’m not sure that … “

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Her expression, and even her posture suddenly changed, and she looked me in the eye and said, “You know, maybe I should get a gun.” And I told her, she absolutely should.

Harbingeing on July 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Why I will always love Penn Jillette. Skip forward to 4:15 for the best part (My pink Glock) but if you haven’t watched the whole show before you will love it. All the parts of the Gun Control show are on Youtube.

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Well I must get some sleep, good night everyone, lets hope we wake to better news……..;-)

PS, howdy Grace, gotta go I’m beat…………..;-)

angrymike on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Found it:

His first accomplishment was saving the economy. His budget will give us long term growth.

We are headed in the right direction.

You can go back to talking about teleprompters.

Adults are in charge.

getalife on March 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM

That was only a couple of months after the inauguration. Think of the havoc that has since been wreaked.

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Hello and Goodnight, canopfor.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

canopfor on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Night Canada!

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

angrymike on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Night Mike!

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Want to mess with a liberal? Just say, “I reject your silly premise,” and walk away. Don’t give the liberal chance to defend itself. Forget the conversation even happened, and never let the lib discuss it with you again.

Liberals can’t handle that.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I thought Dire would make it back tonight, no such luck, maybe tomorrow. Thanks.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Nope too full. Cake is really rich – Carrot Cake w/cream cheese frosting.

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Caaaaaaaake….*thunk* head hits desk

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Nope too full. Cake is really rich – Carrot Cake w/cream cheese frosting.

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting????? I’m melting.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

OK. Who squealed?

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM

novaculus, nice job on the Kos kid today. ; )

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM

The Kos Kid is an archetype, an ignoramus who thinks he is knowledgeable. Unwilling to admit that he was wrong, and that several of us knew way more than he did about firearms generally and assault rifles in particular, he just kept digging.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Nope too full. Cake is really rich – Carrot Cake w/cream cheese frosting.

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Carrot cake … with cream cheese frosting?

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Good Night angrymike, Sleep Well Brother.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Thanks! I’ll take note.

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting????? I’m melting.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Cripes. Let’s hope there is no food fight cause I don’t know yet how to get that off a keyboard.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

And a good evening to you, kind sir. :)

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

lol … er

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

One of my favorites.

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

PS, howdy Grace, gotta go I’m beat…………..;-)

angrymike on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Night, sweet mike. Get some rest.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

That is my favorite. But I like it cold with a hot coffee.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting????? I’m melting.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

It’s yummy but really dense and sweet. I have 3/4 the cake left.

Wish I could send you some via cyberspace.

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Remember last night when I posted about the attacks Chik-Fil-A was receiving from the left because they operate their business on biblical principals and support traditional marriage?

You should see the crap they’re getting now from the “caring and tolerant party” because of this.

Chick-fil-A provides free meals to Aurora police working shooting case

Flora Duh on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I enjoyed it, and the fact that he kept misspelling ignoramus. Sounds like something I would have done. I had to laugh. Nice to se hawk driver in there too. ; )

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Liberals cannot handle being dismissed, being denied chance to argue. If you dismiss their premises, they really don’t know what to do except call you names.

But, as adults, we stopped doing that sandbox thing long ago.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Which means, apply liberally to affected areas. ;-)

TXUS on July 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

:D

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM

PS, howdy Grace, gotta go I’m beat…………..;-)

angrymike on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Sleep well, Mike!

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM

One of my favorites.

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Spice cake is my favorite but this is a close second.

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM

That’s OK. It’s one of the very few that I could handle on my own.
(Basically, screw the keyboard, save every crumb of cake.)

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Happy Birthday, GG!

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

That is my favorite. But I like it cold with a hot coffee.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Nothing wrong with that, I’ll put a piece in the fridge for ya. I’m having fresh out of the oven with ice cream. Yum.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

lol … er

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Well, I don’t know about you, but I never get any darn cake. And if I ate as much pie as Bmore, I’d be as big as a house!

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

se=see

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM

We are headed in the right direction.

You can go back to talking about teleprompters.

Adults are in charge.

getalife on March 25, 2009 at 10:54 AM

INC on July 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Well the troll was obviously wrong about King Obama’s budget LOL

JPeterman on July 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Spice cake is my favorite but this is a close second.

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I forgot about spice cake. I loved spice cake.

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Spice cake is my favorite…

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM

You are such a tease…

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

My “er” was a weak, last minute edit. It started as “GET HER!” — but, you know. :)

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Chick-fil-A provides free meals to Aurora police working shooting case

Flora Duh on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I don’t see liberals as people who can be respected, or as people that you can live with in peace. They are so hate filled and vicious its hard to grasp sometimes.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

You are such a tease…

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Definitely not a gopher.

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM

LOL! But where’s the gopher state again? Isn’t it Minnesota? :( Like I said the other night….100 places that will bring you a pizza in this stupid town, but not a single one will bring you cake. What a world.

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

After my last post I doubt that fool will ever spout off about firearms again.

I have to admit I finally lost it with upyerbackside’s schtick. I have never called for anyone to be banned before, but I have had a bellyful of that ones lying and smearing. Confronted it with irrefutable facts, just ignores reality and spouts vile smears without a shred of evidence to back them up. I think I’m just going to start abusing it every time it sticks its pointy little head up.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

My experience with lib co-workers and friends is that they operate too often on feelings. Not rational thought, but feelings.

Drives me crazy.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

The odd thing is I can’t put on weight. She likes that about me. She likes to bake. It’s her therapy. I like pies and such it works out well. She makes nice cakes also. I’ll have to post a shot of her ovens sometime. Real workhorses.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Was thinking about what to get you for your birthday, but I’m sure your parents got you that cool bicycle. What about a skateboard or maybe a butterfly tattoo or something?

TXUS on July 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I don’t see liberals as people at all. They are liberals first, and ‘people’ somewhere else down their line of credentials. And for the reasons you said.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Flora Duh on July 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM

And they don’t grow up, somehow. The interpersonal dynamic is like junior high school. They really think they are an “in crowd” or something. The right opinions, etc., just like really young children and peer pressure.

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Thanks again for all the sweet birthday wishes.

This one year older girl is going to bed – I’m tired out.

Until tomorrow…

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

That’s probably a good thing! My husband was never able to gain weight until he hit his 30′s. Not to be a bummer but that could be a sign of a medical thing, you know. But you’re healthy, right? :D

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM

No sleep lost over abusing that one, he’s an azzhat. I ran across a surprise on a thread earlier. One named riddick. Give him a tumble if you get the chance. Good times!

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I meant to ask you — who’s the photographer? The pics are uncommonly good.

Like spice cake.

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Thanks again for all the sweet birthday wishes.

This one year older girl is going to bed – I’m tired out.

Until tomorrow…

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Sweet dreams! :D I’m glad you had a nice day!

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Johnny winter Boot Hill</a

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Night!

Happy birthday!

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Night, GG!

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

You mean physically, if so, yes. Very. Surprisingly. I just have one issue. Manageable most of the time.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Drives me crazy.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM

My sister to a tee. Doesn’t matter what proof you put on the table she just blithely goes on as if it wasn’t staring her in the face.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Ask a liberal at what age he/she started smoking pot or drinking. That will tell you what age group you’re dealing with of that liberal even if he/she is 30.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I’m off, too, but I feel a very stronge urge to hear a snappy little number sung by a sexually-confused Zoroastrian British Parsi guy. :D Choreography!

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Good night , Gopher Girl!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM

GoodNight gg, Pleasant Dreams. Glad to hear you had a lovely birthday. ; )

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Why ruin a good delusion with reality?

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM

This time of night, B? You must be one fat bastard or someone who should sell exercise equipment on overnight TV. If the latter, I got dubs on Christie Brinkley.

TXUS on July 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM

That’s true as well. They seem to move with whatever is currently in vogue rather than with any real set of beliefs.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Night, Cyndy.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Well, if you’re diabetic, maybe lay off the pies! :D Seriously, it’s not paranoid schizophrenia, right? <:-S (that emoticon is meant to convey concern.)

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I meant to ask you — who’s the photographer? The pics are uncommonly good.

Like spice cake.

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Of what? At the place in the forest? Various folks. Friends, family, the better half, me etc. I like spice cake too.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Why ruin a good delusion with reality?

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM

It drives me crazy as much as 4Grace. There is no logic to what they believe at all but there is a great deal of outrage and sanctimonious nonsense.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Wizard

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM

“..before spraying the theater with bullets from an AR-15 rifle..”

..oh dear!

The War Planner on July 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Harbingeing on July 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM

There is more than a little truth to the saying that a conservative is a liberal who got mugged. Some of them get lucky and learn from observation of events that don’t impact them directly. Sounds like this one has learned from experience with you that not all people who choose to arm themselves for defense are bloodthirsty maniacs. Then the tragic events in Aurora made her realize that it could happen to her.

I was lucky. My dad liked to hunt and fish and was a hobby gunsmith. I still have a .220 Swift on a Mauser action that he built. Turned the barrel down from a Ford truck axle. I got a single shot Winchester .22 for my 7th birthday, and by age 12 I was allowed to hunt small game on my own.

While I grew up in small town on the edge of farm country, only a few miles to the north was one of the most crime ridden cities in the country, so I wasn’t naive about what bad people were capable of doing. I’ve been licensed to carry for over thirty years.

novaculus on July 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM

It’s the same reason they like to throw around the word “fair.” We must be fair, or it just isn’t fair! Fair, equality, compassion…

The libs have hijacked and corrupted those words.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM

No, no health issues like that at all. Still recovering from an injury. It’s how I came to HA. I had some downtime. No, I as healthy as you’ll find. No medical issue of any type outside the injury. Skiing, kayak related. That and very hard work. ; ) I’ m good, I promise.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Night cynccook!

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Good Night Cyndy, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Dear Dire,

You are supposed to help us beat up some trolls.

But you aren’t here.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Wizard

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Excellent!! I’ve played one or two by them here. I wore that album out. Seriously.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I’m of the belief that, in psychology, liberals need a whole new classification. They aren’t crazy, they don’t fit into any known, acknowledged, or accepted category of the science.

There is something very seriously wrong with liberals, but no one knows what. I bet if you ask a liberal, “Why are you liberal?” they can’t give you a solid answer. But if you ask a serial killer why he did his thing, he’ll tell you some kind of reason, demented though it might be.

Liberals can’t do that much.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I live maybe a mile from one of the local theatres. It’s a Cinemark. I’ve been thinking of going to see a flick-’Rock of Ages’ if it’s still playing-but after this…I am definitively going. Maybe I’ll hit Batman instead.
Life is not meant to be lived in fear.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Thanks again for all the sweet birthday wishes.

This one year older girl is going to bed – I’m tired out.

Until tomorrow…

gophergirl on July 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Night night, sleep tight, sweet dreams in the starlight.

TXUS on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Good! :D

cynccook on July 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Good night, Cynccook!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I=I’m

Bmore on July 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Please don’t walk too far in the heat.

SparkPlug on July 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

The libs have hijacked and corrupted those words.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Except they don’t really care about fairness at all. Its just a cover for pushing an agenda. Some of them aren’t actually aware of that intent given that they let others do most of their thinking for them. They want an escape from responsibility and from the consequences of life, both physical and moral. Moral consequences upset them the most because they are threatened by the idea that they might be judged on who they are.

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

ME TOO!

thatsafactjack on July 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM

O wow! I’ve tried to make this argument. I get smacked down. It’s a cliche in AA — I’ve heard — that an alcoholic picks up more or less where they left off when they sober up, and that has the effects you’d expect on family life, marriages, etc. I noticed the strange peter-pan thing on the left, but when you bring it up, you have to be ready to deal with the person that talks about “responsible, recreational use” and so on, and the occasional person that has actually matured over time. I have no facts to point to, only anecdotal arguments, and those are worthless in an adversarial discussion.

But I feel great now that I know someone else notices this. :)

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Police said he had an AR-15 assault rifle, a shotgun, and two .40-caliber Glock handguns. Holmes is also believed to have hurled a gas canister into the theater before opening fire.

OK, given that the theater was a “gun-free zone” /hah, and that theaters are absolutely paranoid about people carrying their own snacks in, let alone an arsenal, the question must be asked how he managed to get an AR-15, a shotgun, two handguns, gas canisters, and spare ammunition as well as body armor into the theater. Something doesn’t smell right here.

I’d be a whole lot less cynical about all of this if the presstitutes had given equivalent press time to the 71 year old CCW holder to possibly averted a tragedy in Florida last week.

/Still on vacation, popping in for the evening on the way back home.

AZfederalist on July 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM

The libs have hijacked and corrupted those words.

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM

You’re onto something. Liberals change the common long-accepted meanings of words to create new definitions, to validate and justify themselves.

Liam on July 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Night night, sleep tight, sweet dreams in the starlight.

TXUS on July 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Aw. That’s pretty. I’m using that “starlight” thing from now on.

Axe on July 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

sharrukin on July 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Agreed, but I think the moral consequences often upset them because they see so few absolutes in the world. No absolute right/wrong. No absolute good/evil. Talk about your 50 Shades of Gray!

4Grace on July 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM