Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on July 20, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

An eager audience forgoing sleep to take in the midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” instead were witnesses Friday to a bloody mass shooting at a suburban Denver movie theater. Police said a man clad in black threw a canister that spewed smoke before he opened fire. Witnesses said that at first, they thought it was a prank or a stunt. Then the gunman shot steadily at the audience, not speaking.

***

The man suspected in the mass shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater screening of the new Batman film early Friday had colored his hair red and told police he was “the Joker,” according to a federal law enforcement source with detailed knowledge of the investigation.

At least 12 people were killed in the rampage and 59 were wounded.

…Witnesses to the shooting described him as wearing a gas mask that concealed much of his face and head. But the federal law enforcement source’s information about the suspect’s appearance fits with a statement from New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, who was briefed by Colorado authorities Friday. …

Police say Holmes, 24, dressed head-to-toe in protective tactical gear, set off two devices of some kind before spraying the theater with bullets from an AR-15 rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and at least one of two .40-caliber handguns police recovered at the scene.

***

Jordan told the paper that one girl was struck in cheek, others in stomach including a girl who looked to be around 9-years-old. …

“Like little explosions going on and shortly after that we heard people screaming,” he told the station. …

The youngest victim reported was a 6-year-old being treated at Children’s Hospital Colorado, where a total of six victims were taken. Their condition wasn’t known.

***

Now, even as we learn how this happened and who’s responsible, we may never understand what leads anybody to terrorize their fellow human beings like this. Such violence, such evil is senseless. It’s beyond reason. But while we will never know fully what causes somebody to take the life of another, we do know what makes life worth living. The people we lost in Aurora loved, and they were loved. They were mothers and fathers; they were husbands and wives; sisters and brothers; sons and daughters, friends and neighbors. They had hopes for the future, and they had dreams that were not yet fulfilled.

And if there’s anything to take away from this tragedy, it’s the reminder that life is very fragile. Our time here is limited, and it is precious. And what matters at the end of the day is not the small things, it’s not the trivial things, which so often consume us and our daily lives. Ultimately, it’s how we choose to treat one another and how we love one another.

***

“Our hearts break with the sadness of this unspeakable tragedy,” Romney said, according to a rush transcript. “Ann and I join the president and first lady and all Americans in offering our deepest condolences for those whose lives were shattered in a few moments, a few moments of evil, in Colorado. I stand before you today not as a man running for office but as a father and grandfather, a husband, an American. This is a time for each of us to look into our hearts and remember how much we love one another and how much we love and how much we care for our great country. There’s so much love and goodness in the heart of America.”

***

The telegenic schoolmarms we call pundits are all denouncing the politicization of the tragedy in Aurora, calling out the crass opportunists who would dare to use human suffering to advance their preferred public policy choices. I feel terrible about what happened in that movie theater, and I’m agnostic about gun control, but there is nothing wrong with politicizing tragedy.

The talking heads don’t like it, because they think of politics as a silly game about who sang out of tune and whose words can be used against them and whose surrogate undercut whose message, but politics is about life and death and human suffering. At least that’s what it should be about. …

…But politics matters, because policies matter. “Obamacare” and “gay marriage” are not just issues that might play badly with swing voters or turn the tide in Virginia; they’re issues that affect people’s lives. Gun control and the Second Amendment are issues, too, and now seems like a pretty good time to talk about them.

***

***

“Soothing words are nice,” Bloomberg said during a regularly scheduled appearance on WOR 710 AM in New York. “But maybe it’s time the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they’re going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country. And everybody always says, ‘Isn’t it tragic?’”

“I mean, there’s so many murders with guns every day,” Bloomberg continued. “It’s just gotta stop. And instead of these two people, President [Barack] Obama and Governor [Mitt] Romney talking in broad things about, they want to make the world a better place. OK, tell us how. And this is a problem. No matter where you stand on the Second Amendment, no matter where you stand on guns, we have a right to hear from both of them, concretely, not just in generalities, specifically, what are they going to do about guns?”

***

The only fitting response to a terrible crime like this is silence or prayer. The idea that acts of mass murder reflect Hollywood violence is absurd; you can’t get more violent than King Lear. It’s true that guns are more convenient than hatchets as mass-murder weapons; they are also more convenient for self-defense. Defense and attack are generally on par in the long blood-stain of human history, and this is the wrong moment for political agitation for or against gun control. (If such laws really did “control” guns it might be different. But as matters stand, if we outlaw guns, we had better outlaw crime also.) A whole generation has been reared, in many parts of society, without the moral compass of biblical religion. Does that make any difference to the rate of violent crime? I don’t know and, again, this is the wrong moment to argue about it. In human life, savagery is a given. God knows we all wish it weren’t.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7 9

Benny Goodman, Moonglow

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Warner Bros.: Due to events in Aurora, Colo., previously scheduled appearances by cast of ‘Dark Knight Rises’ in Mexico, Japan are cancelled – @CNBC

Submitted 1 hour ago by editor

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I read something earlier today about this guy’s mother’s reaction when she heard. She was not at all surprised that it was her son. What’s up with that? How many people are out there, whose family knows they are a threat, but can’t or won’t do anything about it?

Night Owl on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Bath salts? I thought that was some sort of joke. Are there really bath salt drugs?

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Bath salts are real: Bath Salts Drugs

Here in GA, the state is moving to make them illegal, but then the designers can just tweak the formula and start selling all over again. Ditto the synthetic marijuana.

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Prayer vigil led by local religious leaders across street from theater #theatershooting pic.twitter.com/ajeVpc8E

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Man On The Moon.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

thank you. my favorite rem song.
after today i think maybe floyd is appropriate.

how the bums out
Fre

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Flora Duh on July 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Why is it that the biggest rudest blowhards are so “sensitive”? They can dish it but they sure can’t take it.

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Electrongod @ 10:00
I’ve had that scenario going through my head all day. I, like you, would like to think I would wait till the right moment, and spring an attack. I think if he was right in front of me I would, but I really don’t know if I would wade through ppl trying get away, just for my chance at this fool. But I probably would, I’ve faced fear before, I like to think I can deal with it better them most. I just hope I never have to protect anyone from this craziness ……

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Eclipse/ Dark Side Of The Moon

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Was waiting. :) Seemed obvious.

You know, I have that concert T. It’s properly worn and ripped, and washed and placed in the hall of “I did too live”.

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Patsy Cline, Blue Moon of Kentucky

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

That concludes tonight’s broadcast of the Moon. I hope you enjoyed.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Looks like another informed Lefty!!

Larry King ‏@kingsthings

We remain one of the few countries in the world where anyone in the world can get a gun.

in this case a machine gun.

This is absurd

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Internalize this, if you care about the 2nd Amendment, as you interpret it, not as Holder does.

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

how the bums out
Fre

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

should be
throw the bums out
Fred

high dollar laptop not worth a plug nickle (lol)
Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

thatsafactjack will be continuing the broadcast. My next scheduled broadcast, Stars.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Maybe we could start this conversation with democrats telling us where their strict gun laws have been successful in reducing crime.

………..so let’s start with ….Chicago.

Chicago reaches 250 homicides for 2012

By Tracy Swartz posted June 27, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

….and of course…if we take those dam# guns away….then this senseless violence stops:

Fatal stabbings reach 2011 levels

By Tracy Swartz posted July 11, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

….uhh…looks like we’re going to have to ban knives to.

Looks like democrats are going to have to follow in Obama’s footsteps and just lie or make up sh!t to push their agenda.

Baxter Greene on July 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I need to correct you here. Schizophrenia can manifest itself as Psychosis. As a matter of fact, that’s what a Schizophrenic episode is. My brother was Schizophrenic, so I know.

We don’t know anything about this guy, but we do know that this was well-planned by someone who put a lot of attention into details. The body armor was not just a ‘costume’ and that he used gas to impair the senses of others while shielding his own senses from it, indicates that he knew that what he was doing was hurting others.

The cannibal cases are different. Those people appear like zombies, there is no functioning intellect when they’ve gone on their rampages.

Corporal Tunnel on July 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I was making a distinction between what the average person thinks of as schizophrenia versus the narrower definition of psychosis. From the reports that I have read, it seems likely to me that the shooter was under the influence of a delusional psychotic episode. He also apparently told law enforcement that he was the Joker, Batman’s nemesis.
The cannibal cases are all most certainly the result of drug-induced psychosis. It is well known that ketamine, methamphetamine and even cannabis can trigger psychosis — including catatonia like you’ve described. They may appear to be in a manic state while at the same time not interacting at all with the world around him.

I’m not trying to in any way excuse this man’s heinous actions, I’m just trying to point out that he is most likely seriously and criminally insane. Sane people break the law and commit crimes for reasonable reasons — money, revenge, etc. There is no such motive (at least not that I’ve seen any indication of) in this case.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

OT – Floating Rock might be onto something – how to disallow Obama to win NM, NV and CO.

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Looks like another informed Lefty!!

Larry King ‏@kingsthings

in this case a machine gun.

This is absurd

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Tell his wife to change his diaper and put him to bed.

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Oops.

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Same here..faced danger…

Just not in a confined area where people are dropping….

I have anger just thinking about it…

Electrongod on July 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

That concludes tonight’s broadcast of the Moon. I hope you enjoyed.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

*polite applause*

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Patsy Cline, Blue Moon of Kentucky

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I’ve always loved this performance not just for the vocal quality but for the confidence and gleam in her eye. She really seems like she’s having fun. Notice the long bangs to cover the scar on her forehead.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Bath salts are real: Bath Salts Drugs

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Users of bath salts have experienced health issues including hallucinations, paranoia, violent behaviour, heart attack, kidney failure, liver failure, suicide, and an increased tolerance for pain.

I guess there is no end to how stupid some people are.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Trust me, I was angry about it.

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Yeah, point by point, inch by inch, then an hour later or the next day, the very same thing will be brought up. At first I thought they didn’t understand what I’d written, then I realized they had no desire to understand what I’d written, they perceived winning as incessant verbal bludgeoning.

INC on July 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Senseless.

Not senseless, wrong, terrible, but not senseless.

Holmes was failing in his Phd program, its easy to believe he wasn’t used to rejection and was used to praise for his efforts regardless.

No one perpetrates the kind of detailed, sadly successful attack this person has with no sense of why or the result.

I believe he was going to be famous and in his mind adored, and if he wasn’t going to achieve it academically, in the real world, he would demonically, in a fictional world.

To him, his life would carry meaning, whatever harm he caused, and in his mind acting out a scene from a Batman episode, made perfect sense.

IMHO

Speakup on July 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Eclipse/ Dark Side Of The Moon

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Wow. just. wow! What a totally sublime amalgamation of talent. superlative in every way. Otherworldly. remarkable. transcendent.

and stuff!

tom daschle concerned on July 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Larry King ‏@kingsthings

in this case a machine gun.

This is absurd

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

…what the he!! does Larry know…..his bodyguards and security are carrying all the weapons.
…he wouldn’t know a “Machine Gun” from a “Glue Gun”……

When Bloomberg and Larry here can figure out a way that all of us could have armed security following us around…then they can gain a little bit of credibility on this issue.

Baxter Greene on July 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

how the bums out
Fre

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

should be
throw the bums out
Fred

high dollar laptop not worth a plug nickle (lol)
Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Laughing with you, not at you LOL!!!

JPeterman on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

What part of Ga if you don’t mind me asking? If you do I understand. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

That concludes tonight’s broadcast of the Moon. I hope you enjoyed.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

LOL Very nice! Did you play this one?

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Hm

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

LOL! You should try HA on an ipad thingy. It sucks!

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Laughing with you, not at you LOL!!!

JPeterman on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

If you’re going to let Fred comment here, you should at least get him a decent computer.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Obama Signs Federal Ban on ‘Bath Salt’ Drugs

Flora Duh on July 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Is our long zombie cannibal bath salt apocalypse finally over?

And you wonder why I thought it was a joke?

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

LOL Very nice! Did you play this one?

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I did not, though I should have. You knows I love me some Billie.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Spread the message:

To the innocent Tea Party member James Holmes, falsely accused by ABC,

SUE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!!!!

Pass it on everywhere.

Wombat on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Canopfor
1.Thank you for being up all night, getting breaking news.

2. That wasn’t me talking about you, it was axe………..

3.Sorry axe……………….;-D

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Dancin’ in the Moonlight

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Tell his wife to change his diaper and put him to bed.

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

slickwillie2001:You got that right,and talk about a long day,i
watched this unfold last night,and its still
unreal,or surreal!:)

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

That concludes tonight’s broadcast of the Moon. I hope you enjoyed.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

You didn’t play..

Once in a blue moon

Electrongod on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

throw the bums out
Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

………..so let’s start with ….Chicago.

Crimes committed with ‘legal’ guns are reduced to almost zero.

‘Crimes’ committed with illegal guns aren’t counted in the survey, so you can’t prove liberals are somehow wrong. Also, since they aren’t counted, you aren’t allowed to somehow claim they are crimes. You have no proof either way, but we know they can’t possibly be crimes because illegal guns simply don’t exist.

Unless you’re white. Then ‘legal’ use of your guns is illegal, so those guns are illegal.

See how easy that is?

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

My next scheduled broadcast, Stars.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Bath salts effects are similar to meth.

I have ADD and I can take a big hit of meth and go to sleep. I wonder what bath salts would do.

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

That concludes tonight’s broadcast of the Moon. I hope you enjoyed.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

For good measure watch David Bowie’s son’s (Duncan Jones) movie Moon. You won’t regret it if you like sci fi. Has Kevin Spacey as the voice to the moon base’s computer, and Sam Rockwell as the protagonist/antagonist :)

tom daschle concerned on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

and stuff!

tom daschle concerned on July 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Lol! ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Well there went Floating Rocks claim that Johnson was on every state ballot.

The Miami Herald reports that Romney’s camp was successful in removing Johnson from Michigan’s November ballot. The Libertarian campaign is currently looking to exploit a loophole to get Johnson put back on the ballot.

JPeterman on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Speaking of links. Has anyone posted this: “Colorado Movie Theater Shooting: Suspect Bought 4 Guns, 6,000 Rounds of Ammunition in Past 60 Days”

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Does ATF do a better job with regulating sale of Tobacco? When will it reach the level of competency of TSA?

bayview on July 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Canopfor
1.Thank you for being up all night, getting breaking news.

2. That wasn’t me talking about you, it was axe………..

3.Sorry axe……………….;-D

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Canada, that’s all a lie. Mike is angry — you know how he gets.

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Crescent Moon

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:42 PM

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

If you get the munchies, stay the hell out of my neighborhood.

:-)

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Nice. I hope the moon always outweighs the other events of this day in history.

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

: )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Bath salts effects are similar to meth.

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I hope you’re just joking, but if you’re not, cut it out! Ewwwww.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Nice. I hope the moon always outweighs the other events of this day in history.

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Its a very small moon tonight, yet it weighs heavy.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Hello all – Happy Friday!

gophergirl on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I have heard that Meth isn’t good for you.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Clair de Lune,

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

What part of Ga if you don’t mind me asking? If you do I understand. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Forsyth.

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

If you get the munchies, stay the hell out of my neighborhood.

:-)

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

You can all say, “He was a nice guy. Just a litle odd. Always going off topic.”

But do tell them I was a wacked out lib.

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Hello all – Happy Friday!

gophergirl on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

GG!

Electrongod on July 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Canopfor
1.Thank you for being up all night, getting breaking news.

2. That wasn’t me talking about you, it was axe………..

3.Sorry axe……………….;-D

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

angrymike:

I was up,sending in links to tips around 3:00AM,looking at
Reuters,and in red,scrolling was the Denver shooting…stunned,
I had Breaking News up,as I always do,when online,and it had the
report,and then quickly,a LIVE Coverage!!

On the Links,anytime,I must laugh though,Flora Duh on twitter
was covering the bases nicely too!:)

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Axe
he’s disappeared, he’s looking up thread……..Me thinks Canada’s gonna get ya……….hehe

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Thanks Axe. You read a lot don’t you?

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

The Killing Moon.

[Echo & The Bunnymen. A solid although much underated Brit band from the 80′s.]

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Hello all – Happy Friday!

gophergirl on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Hey, isn’t today that special day? :D

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

If you get the munchies, stay the hell out of my neighborhood.

:-)

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM

coldwarrior:

Lol,hey,I just heard Bishops echo…….get the F*** off my
lake,haha!:)

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I can’t afford it. His apple and carrot snacks are killing me.

JPeterman on July 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Washington D.C., though not a state, has the strictest laws of all. They have an outright ban on handguns. You can have shotguns or rifles, but they have to be kept locked in a safe, without ammo. Also, they can’t be semi-automatic.

….and how has that worked out:

Last year on 20/20, ABC’s John Stossel made the case that gun bans lead to more crime, and argued that D.C.’s crime rate increased after its city’s gun ban was instituted. Stossel: “Since Washington’s gun law passed, the murder rate actually increased, even while America’s murder rate dropped. It’s because guns can also save lives, says [plaintiff Tom] Palmer, as one saved his years ago in California.”

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brad-wilmouth/2008/06/27/abc-cbs-note-dc-crime-high-after-32-year-handgun-ban#ixzz21E1nEq8g

….and Chicago’s gun laws almost mirror DC’s……
………this is winning like Charlie Sheen…..
………….except it’s not “Tiger blood” that is running in the streets….it the blood of citizens not allowed to protect themselves while criminals pick them off like shooting fish in a barrel……

Only and uniformed fool or blind political activist would call stricter gun laws a “success.”

Baxter Greene on July 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I have heard that Meth isn’t good for you.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Yeah, just maybe.

MelonCollie on July 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I tried to start a fire Brian Ross and George Stephanopolus twitter hashtag today, but apparently nobody in the twitterverse gave a damned about holding Brian and George accountable for their actions. No wonder the liberals kill us at the polls every 4 years.

SWalker on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Btw,on a side-note,this past month alone,has netted two Lefty Mayors,
and another eight or so Democrats,in Campaign Fraud,and questionable spending!!!

Didn’t hear a peep did you…..jus say’n!!!

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Trust me, I was angry about it…

INC on July 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Liberals browbeat. They change the rules, move the goalpost, dodge the subject, mention Nixon when you speak of Obama, and do everything else they can to beat you into the ground. The idea for them is to win, like 3-year-olds in a sandbox.

And when you get fed up, and maybe yell even though they have been screaming in your face all weekend, they’ll suddenly act calm and quietly ask, “Why are you yelling? I’m right here.”

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I have heard that Meth isn’t good for you.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Well…if by “isn’t good for you” you mean this, then yeah.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I just don’t get it..

I was out of a job a couple years ago…

Even talked to a bankruptcy attorney…

But I never had the desire to gun down people….

Electrongod on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Canopfor
yes, I woke around six, as I started hearing, I looked up thread. I was informed in minutes, because of you and Flora duh, others, not so informed, especially ABC………..

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

The Killing Moon.

[Echo & The Bunnymen. A solid although much underated Brit band from the 80's.]

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Most excellent.

tom daschle concerned on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

gophergirl on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Hello Gopher Girl! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Twitter blows!

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Your just jealous, its okay to be tweetless.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I am NOT tweetless! I guess. I don’t know what it means, but — if other people have tweet, I have tweet. :)

I think.

Hmm … I probably shouldn’t have saved this one …

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Moonlight desires

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

SWalker on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Let’s hope that Mr. Holmes gets them where it will really hurt. The wallet.

Cindy Munford on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Chicago reaches 250 homicides for 2012
By Tracy Swartz posted June 27, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

Fatal stabbings reach 2011 levels
By Tracy Swartz posted July 11, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

….uhh…looks like we’re going to have to ban knives to.

Baxter Greene on July 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Baxter Greene:Its great to see you posting,and yes,its been a
very violent year in Chicago!:)

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

JPeterman on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I’m surprised that little Bammie’s legal team hasn’t gone hard at Johnson. Isn’t it a given that he would take more from dems than Reps?

I’m sure both sides are spending money on private polling to figure that out.

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

See how easy that is?

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I should have had a shot before reading that.

Baxter Greene on July 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

The Killing Moon.

[Echo & The Bunnymen. A solid although much underated Brit band from the 80's.]

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Most excellent.

tom daschle concerned on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Reminds me of the beginning of Donnie Darko :)

tom daschle concerned on July 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

You do understand that on the official universal Manly scale…real men do not text, twitter nor tweet. :-)

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Well…if by “isn’t good for you” you mean this, then yeah.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I am wondering which one of those is Davie boy?

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Thousands gather at vigils for victims of Aurora, Colorado, movie theater shooting – @AP

Submitted 16 mins ago from http://www.cbsnews.com by editor
_________________________________________________________

July 20, 2012 11:29 PM
Hundreds attend vigils for Colo. shooting victims
*************************************************

(AP) AURORA, Colo. – Hundreds of mourners are gathering at vigils for the victims of the shootings at a suburban Denver theater showing the latest Batman movie.

At the Queen of Peace Roman Catholic church in Aurora, a few miles from the shooting, more than 1,000 mourners gathered Friday evening for a memorial Mass. Newly installed Denver Archbishop Samuel Aquila told mourners dabbing their eyes, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”

30 still hospitalized in Colo. shooting; 12 dead
Family members look for Colo. shooting victims
Colo. suspect “smart,” “quiet,” say neighbors

He said, “The heart of our Father is stronger than the bullets that killed 12 people.”

Near the entrance to the theater’s parking lot, a makeshift memorial of 12 candles sat in a row near piles of flowers. Up the hill, about 20 pastors led an emotional vigil for about 350 people, some hugging and crying.
================================

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I can’t afford it. His apple and carrot snacks are killing me.

JPeterman on July 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Better have him start a blog then….

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Cyber space ate my post.

No I’m not doing bath salts.

I do have ADD and meth would not effect me like it does normal people.

davidk on July 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Hello Gopher Girl! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Thank you :) I had an awesome day!

gophergirl on July 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Real men do whatever they damned well please and don’t worry about their masculinity.

SWalker on July 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

SWalker
I emailed ABC, I told them to hold their ppl accountable, probably didn’t do much good…….;(

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

“mother do you think they’ll try to break my balls?”

one of my favs but O’bama is begging for help that he’s not likely to get from this redneck from WY. check it out.

throw the bums out
Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Baxter Greene:Its great to see you posting,and yes,its been a
very violent year in Chicago!:)

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Great job last night…….
…………..also looks like Canada is busting our butts down here since OBama took over…..
……………………Canadians are now making more money per person than we are.

How’s that for “Hope and Change”…..

Baxter Greene on July 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Well…if by “isn’t good for you” you mean this, then yeah.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM

cynccook:Good Gawd,it sucks your soul,out of ya,by looking at
those mug-shots!:)

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Hello all – Happy Friday!

gophergirl on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Hi Gopher Girl! … if that is your real species.

I have doubts.