Details about Colorado shooter emerge as ABC apologizes for false Tea Party reporting Update: 71 shot Update: Obama and Romney video added

posted at 2:05 pm on July 20, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

The last post was getting heavy with updates and comments, so here’s a new thread to deal with what, unfortunately, is an inevitable part of every major national tragedy these days— the political scapegoating, usually of the Tea Party.

But first, we have some more information about the alleged shooter, James Holmes, 24. This is reportedly a photo of the suspect:

Aurora theater shooter James Holmes
The AP reported that The University of Colorado Medical School said Holmes had withdrawn from school there, but did not know why. He may have been pursuing a Ph.D. in neuropsychology until recently. Other reports state that Holmes’ apartment, which police searched, was booby-trapped with explosives and flammable material.

Meanwhile, ABC’s Brian Ross was focused this morning, not on the man who perpetrated the shooting, but on the first Jim Holmes he could find in the Denver area with a Tea Party connection. His reporting is so bad as to suggest he simply Googled “Jim Holmes + Tea Party + Denver,” and George Stephanopoulos accepted his report credulously. Nate Silver, a statistics specialist who writes on politics at the New York Times, estimated there are may be 25 Jim Holmeses in the Denver area.

Here’s the original report, via Mediaite:

Later, ABC News included a clarification of sorts buried in this online story, but flagged by Dylan Byers. The original clarification, without an apology, has since been moved to the top of the story and turned into an apology:

Editor’s Note: An earlier ABC News broadcast report suggested that a Jim Holmes of a Colorado Tea Party organization might be the suspect, but that report was incorrect. ABC News and Brian Ross apologize for the mistake, and for disseminating that information before it was properly vetted.

Stephanopoulos and Ross owe an on-air apology to the Mr. Jim Holmes they smeared and the Colorado Tea Party, and Ross should be disciplined or fired (I’m sure we could have a whole thread for that discussion). The Jim Holmes they referenced is a 52-year-old man understandably shaken by the unwarranted national attention.

“It was freaky,” said Holmes, describing his reaction when ABC News speculated that he was the culprit who entered a crowded theater and opened fire on dozens of innocent men, women, and children. He disconnected his telephone and says that he is worried about members of his family who might be contacted by the media.

Regina Thompson, of the Colorado Tea Party Patriots:

Regina Thomson, the president of the Colorado Tea Party Patriots, said in a statement, “The member of the Colorado Tea Party Patriots, Jim Holmes, age 52 is not the same person who has been identified as the shooter.”

“The attempts of some media organizations to characterize the shooter as a Tea Party member without having made any effort to contact our organization are shameless and reprehensible,” she said.

Matt Welch of Reason is doing the work that, sadly, must be done— tracking “half-assed media speculation.” (Including, unfortunately, Republican Rep. Louis Gohmert’s dumb speculation about “attacks on Judeo-Christian values” as a possible root.)

There’s not much verified information on many of the victims, yet, and won’t be for a little while, as relatives are notified. But I loathe giving the alleged shooters so much press in these stories without touching on the victims, so I’ll give you what we have— the story of Jessica Ghawi, an aspiring sportscaster who narrowly missed a mall shooting in Toronto last month only to be killed in a theater in Aurora:

Ghawi, who wrote under the name Jessica Redfield, worked for sports website Busted Coverage and a now-poignant final post on her personal blog describes her near miss at the Eaton Center mall shooting in Toronto June 2 — where seven were injured and one died.

“I can’t get this odd feeling out of my chest. This empty, almost sickening feeling won’t go away,” Ghawi wrote. “I noticed this feeling when I was in the Eaton Center in Toronto just seconds before someone opened fire in the food court.

Read her whole blog post, here.

As I said in the previous post, I hope she lived the hell out of life from June to July. Her Twitter description suggests she’s the kind of woman who didn’t have any problem with that: “You can find me in the TV studio, NHL arena/ locker room, on a plane, or writing. Southern. Sarcastic. Sass.Class.Crass. Grammar snob.” A woman after my own heart. God bless her and her family and friends, and all the rest we don’t know yet.

Jessica Ghawi

Update: Police in Colorado say the number of people shot in an Aurora theater is up to 71:

“There were bullet (casings) just falling on my head. They were burning my forehead,” Jennifer Seeger said, adding that the gunman, dressed like a SWAT team member, fired steadily except when he stopped to reload.
“Every few seconds it was just: Boom, boom, boom,” she said. “He would reload and shoot and anyone who would try to leave would just get killed.”

The alleged shooter had an assault rifle, a shotgun, and two pistols, according to police.

Update: Police radio audio of response to the massacre, via Fox News.

Update: Obama and Romney respond.

This video of Obama is not embeddable, but I’ll look for one that is.

Mr. Obama called the shooting “senseless” and “beyond reason,” adding, “We may never understand what leads anybody to terrorize their fellow human beings… If there’s anything to take away from this tragedy it’s the reminder that life is very fragile… Our time here is limited and it is precious.”

“I stand before you today not as a man running for office, but as a father, a grandfather, a husband — an American…our hearts break for the victims and their families. We pray that the wounded will recover, and we pray that those who are grieving will know the nearness of God….What we do know is how evil is overcome, and we’re seeing that greater power today, in the goodness and compassion of a wounded community.”

Update: Flags will be at half-staff until Wednesday.

Update: Four armed service members among those shot, but not killed: “Buckley Air Force Base is in Aurora, and defense officials told NBC News that two Air Force reservists and two Navy service members were among those shot.”

Update: Gabby Giffords and husband Mark Kelly respond to shooting via Twitter.

Update: The gun-control talk begins at the White House. To be fair, this is boilerplate, with no indication of action they’d like to take, and going after guns in an election year won’t serve them well in swing-state Colorado, no matter what James Holmes did. Via Daily Caller‘s Jeff Poor, Michael Bloomberg has been booked for Sunday’s “Face the Nation.” I bet he ain’t talking trans fats.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8

(And truth be known, Bishop wasn’t all that hot at painting the side of a ship to start with)

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Bishop was a bubblehead, he’s never been on a ship.

Oldnuke on July 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

And you know what? It wouldn’t surprise me one whit if DoucheCuckoo was the type to throw a fit when someone points out their misuse of “magazine” or “clip”.

MadisonConservative on July 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Exactly.

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Dan_Yul

Daikokuco

Anyone seen these before today?

BallisticBob on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The ayes have it.

The M-14 could be converted to fully auto. Not that I would want to, but it could.

After training with the M-14 I can never pick up a M-16 without feeling like I’m handling a kid’s toy gun.

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

ll for CCW, and believe it saves lives…

But this jackwad was in full body armor.

wolly4321 on July 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM

The theater had a no guns policy. That means it was an unarmed victim zone.

Body armor doesn’t stop head shots. And, as others have observed, a solid hit from a .45ACP is going to have a powerful effect, if not take you off your feet, body armor or no.

novaculus on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I own a Norinco SKS with a 30 round magazine and it happens all the time.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM

That would be surprising, Sharrukin, especially nowadays with movies and video games being so prevalent.

I have had people call it a machine gun.

You would be surprised how ignorant some people are about firearms.

OTOH if you had something seriously bad ass…like a flamethrower….lmao

BlaxPac on July 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I have always wanted one. The closest we ever got was making a tiny black powder cannon.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I was a bubblehead for long enough to start sub classes and take a tour of an attack boat, and that was the end of that plan. “One ticket to the surface fleet, please, I’m unvolunteering.”

Bishop on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

It’s folks like you I should be thanking for your support all those years.

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Hey, nothing to it. It goes with the territory of being a free born American, as far as I am concerned.

As for Bishop, I bet that bunker of his looks a lot like a Liberty Ship boiler room down inside. Maybe a taxidermy mounted squid for the proper atmosphere. :)

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

The Christians are getting awfully defensive here since it came to light he was involved in a church. Clearly he thought he would be able to do this deed and ask for forgiveness and still get to heaven. That’s how it works, right? Love the sinner hate the sin.

Dan_Yul on July 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Yeah, like I posted earlier, God can be played like a fool. I wouldn’t build on that.

I don’t know why Christians would be defensive. Maybe Levi’s should be defensive. He was wearing pants wasn’t he? Were they jeans? Did he have pockets to carry all that ammo in? Maybe we should ban pockets. Where did he eat his last meal? McDonalds? Did he use the drive thru? We should ban them. If he had to wait in line maybe he wouldn’t have made it to the theater. Did he eat meat? Those meat eaters are always killing things. Yeah.. guilt by association. It’s a great way to run an investigation.

JellyToast on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I never had the chance to fire an M-14, you lucky devil. But I find comfort in being able to send a round through a foot-wide tree to kill the commie behind it before he got at my buddies.

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Bishop on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

:-) I was just yankin’ yer chain, Bishop.

Oldnuke on July 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

JellyToast, I’m off to work here but I didn’t know you liked to shoot. Next time in town, we should head out to my Sister’s property and put up some targets.

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

There is no scripture that supports the premise that a sinner/trespasser must seek forgiveness from those he/she has trespassed against, before seeking forgiveness from the Lord.
The only “sin unto death”, is the rejection of Jesus as Lord.

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Really? I think I need to take some scissors to my bible, here is just one of many references…when the 10 commandants were handed down, you don’t think that was the law? Really?

“If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.” (Matthew 18:15-17)

How many more do you want?

right2bright on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Dan_Yul

Daikokuco

Anyone seen these before today?

BallisticBob on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Daikokuco unfortunately yes.
Dan_Yul no.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

OTOH if you had something seriously bad ass…like a flamethrower….lmao

BlaxPac on July 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Try a Bic lighter and a can of hairspray.

If it doesn’t explode, you’ve got a pocket flamethrower.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Dan_Yul
Daikokuco
Anyone seen these before today?
BallisticBob on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Good for live fire exercise.

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I love it when TV reporters will show video of a pump action 12 gauge shotgun and call it a rifle. Or, a semi-auto AR15 and call it a machine gun.

So many of them are such idiots.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

They also like to call any warship that is not obviously an aircraft carrier or a submarine a “battleship”.

farsighted on July 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Obama and Romney video added.

Honestly…which appeared most sincere? Which spoke from the heart? Which spoke with real conviction?

Would love to see a Frank Lutz focus group “treatment” done on both with that moving graph.

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

lol, I’m surprised he didn’t weigh in on the weapons. He could school all of us. He knows his stuff.

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

“One ticket to the surface fleet, please, I’m unvolunteering.”

Bishop on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

A little claustrophobic?

Can’t say I blame ya there.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

That’s how it works, right? Love the sinner hate the sin.

Dan_Yul on July 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Just another bigot.

CW on July 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Try a Bic lighter and a can of hairspray.

If it doesn’t explode, you’ve got a pocket flamethrower.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Heh. I think I will pass on that one.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

farsighted on July 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I saw that not too long ago, over video of an Aegis cruiser the moron really called it a “battleship”.

I’ve seen Nimitz carriers called battleships on TV too.

Not to mention how the fighter jets always get mixed up.

Talking about F-16s, they’ll show stock footage of Hornets, Eagles, Harriers, whatever. Drives me nuts, but it is funny.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I always wondered though, if I had had to tramp through the boonies would I have preferred the lighter weight of the M-16. Dunno. I always thought of the M-14 as a superior weapon though.

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Aerosol can, not one of those pump things. Makes a huge difference. :-)

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Honestly, I haven’t (yet) handled either, but I’m certainly familiar with the cartridges each uses.
And it seems like a logical “no-brainer”.
Give a WWII veteran an M16 for combat, and he’ll want to trade it for his old M1 rifle.

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

When we started asking the Ignoramus about HIS expertise on weapons, suddenly, mom calls him for dinner.

AllahsNippleHair on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You’re welcome. Hope it helped.

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

My only experience is with the original M-16.. first issue, the US Air Force actually made the first buy, as General Curtis LeMay badly wanted to goose the government into buying the nweapon. Ours was different than the standard Army Marine issue, as it had no forward bolt assist. Fully automatic, some with the original design high strength bore.. can’t remember the name exactly but it had a shiny stainless steel like finish in the bore, unlike later versions.. our NCO’s and Officers were issued the chopped version, our designation was the GAU. Barrel was about ten inches shorter, and it had round hand grips rather than the original triangle ones, and the old tri-prong flash suppressor, I carried that, but mostly the M203 vairent, or the M-60.

Our instructers joked about the forward bolt assist, calling it the idiot assist,..as it was better in action to simply jack another round than risk jamming one in the chamber so hard, it wouldn’t extract.

anyway..

My compliments sir..

You always conduct yourself as the best officers I knew did, with dignity, and control.. never loosing the proper conduct expected of an officer.I’ve known both fine officers, and not so fine ones..

It would have been an honor to serve with you.

It’s just,.. when foolish, childish insults are so easily deflected by your professionalism.. that someone should say thanks.

I’m glad you’re on our side.

mark81150 on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Dan_Yul on July 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Curious as to how we’ve never seen your posts here on Hot Gas until today.

Sleeper Cell?

Del Dolemonte on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I believe that.

I recall that when the Apocalypse arrives, half of Hot Air’s commenter’s are gonna be google-earthing for his bunker-fortress complex. There will be lots of ammo, spam and cold beer, I think.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I have a few long guns but I love pistols. The 45 is my closest friend. Just something about knowing it was invented to stop a horse at 50 feet, and yet it fits so nicely into the palm of ones hand.

JellyToast on July 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM

LOL. Thats always been my belief. Stick to large heavy calibers and you will get positive results every time.

Still have my dad Colt, older 1911 and his most expensive (at the time) Python…which i “inherited”.

Used those until i could save for a SIG 220 in .45. I don’t trust 9mm enough (yeah there’s a thread right there) to put a idiot down *hard* enough.

(Or was that a Bradley Fighting Vehicle I got for him?)

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Hawk, my birthdays in a few months…and if you got a spare IFV lying around…just sayin…lol

BlaxPac on July 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Btw, there’s a Doomburg gun co trol thread written by Tina.

AllahsNippleHair on July 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Aerosol can, not one of those pump things. Makes a huge difference. :-)

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Of course.

The proper type may be outlawed now, not sure. Don’t use the stuff on my head, just threw flames when I was a kid.

Probably lucky I didn’t get a face full of Aquanet napalm.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

You’re so full of crap. There is no forgiveness for child-killers. Not in this world, nor the next. Bloviating on how you think Jesus views this spineless monster is neither prudent or appreciated. He is nothing. And will end up nothing. No amount of suffering on his part will bring him any amount of redemption.

Rusty Allen on July 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Do not call me an ignoramous.

Daikokuco on July 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Ok you are not an ignoramous; however, you are an ignoramus.

Bishop on July 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Stradavarius Ignoramus, to be exact.

Del Dolemonte on July 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

mark81150 on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Ditto.

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

hawkdriver on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Sounds like fun to me!

JellyToast on July 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I’d pay for the hassle of the extra weight because, if the doo hit the fan in the brush, a -14 round can cut through to kill the target and maybe also the guy behind him.

It’s a trade-off. I’d be better off than the guy carrying the M-60. That thing weighs what–30lbs empty?

Plus, if you buttstroke a guy with the -16 you might break the stock as well as his jaw. But with a -14 you break his whole face and that’s where it ends. Then you bring the M-6 bayonet into play.

Just my preference. I would rather not go hand-to-hand holding an M-16.

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

The weight differences between the three are significant.

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Dan_Yul

Daikokuco

Anyone seen these before today?

BallisticBob on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The second was added to my “troll – ignore” list at least a couple of months ago. Don’t recall seeing the first before.

farsighted on July 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Do not call me an ignoramous.

Daikokuco on July 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

How about industrial-strength asinine?

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Daily kos kuckoo on July 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Breathtaking.

F–

Del Dolemonte on July 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Try a Bic lighter and a can of hairspray.

If it doesn’t explode, you’ve got a pocket flamethrower.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Hairspray?

What about the environment?

Eco-Fascist! /s

Not hairspray, but some of the older indoor/outdoor bug spray formula would, when lit, a rather impressive blue/green flame of about 4 feet long when full.

Me and my other demented, destructive brother, used to run our own little spycraft lab in the house and did the whole flamethrower in a can bit.

BlaxPac on July 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Agreed. To every one of your points especially the hand to hand stuff.

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

How many more do you want?

right2bright
on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

If obedience to the Ten Commandments were the basis of receiving God’s mercy, then Jesus’ sacrifice has no relevance.
If you turn away from your stubborn/defiant brother (or sister) as as you would a sinner or a tax collector, that does not make him/her unable to be saved.
It may end up defining him/her as someone who will suffer “being delivered up to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so their Spirit will be saved on the day of the Lord Jesus”.

That would be a distinct possibility.

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Dan_Yul

Daikokuco

Anyone seen these before today?

BallisticBob on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

See my 6:06 PM post re. Door #1

As for Door #2, it’s been amusing us since the last Open Reg.

Del Dolemonte on July 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

And a dream: A 30-round clip. Or even a 25.

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Gee… these guys are guilty of doing that a lot. And I call bull sh*t, apology not accepted because they’ll do it again first chance.
Breitbart said this was WAR… He was right.

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

BlaxPac on July 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM
sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Try a Bic lighter and a can of hairspray.

If it doesn’t explode, you’ve got a pocket flamethrower.

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I always preferred WD-40, or “ether in a can” for cold-starting engines.

: )

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Just my preference. I would rather not go hand-to-hand holding an M-16.

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

23.17lbs. plus the spare barrel another 17 pounds, 700 round issue, two ammo cans 35lbs each.. your second.. the assistant gunner carried the second can.So the combat load for just the 60 was about 75lbs… not counting your pack..

It was a beast to carry.. but it could savage a light column.

We were trained never to butt stroke with the M-16.. too fragile.. a straight in jab had a better chance of not breaking the stock.. and mostly.. um.. we carried some ad hock back ups.. the local sporting goods store had some inexpensive machetes.. and well you get the idea.

mark81150 on July 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I was actually proud of a certain Browning A-Bolt until this bloody conversation. I could have sworn it was a nice little rifle. Now I just want to hang out in the kitchen until the game’s over.

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Such irresponsible reporting by ABC is despicable…to call out someone who had nothing to do with this tragedy without checking their facts first should be grounds for an immediate dismissal. I doubt that’s forthcoming, though, they do this kind of crap all the time and nothing ever happens. Smear first, apologize later. End of story, there are never any consequences for these blathering idiots.

scalleywag on July 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Breitbart said this was WAR… He was right.

RalphyBoy on July 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Ralph’, you get a nomination from me for thread-winner with that.

That is exactly right.

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Rusty Allen on July 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

listens2glenn is not full of crap and doesn’t bloviate. You want to try disagreeing in some civil way?

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

mark81150 on July 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Plus the guys covering the gunner and all the after-market weapons they packed, including belts of ammo for the -60.

Never leave home without all the extras that can be carried, I say.

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Do not call me an ignoramous.

Daikokuco on July 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

How about boring.

batterup on July 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM

My second choice of firepower: a BAR.

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM

BlaxPac on July 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

That Aquanet burned like a blowtorch!

Looking back on it, it seems a bit risky though. :)

Brian1972 on July 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The question we should be asking today is how many people were killed because of gun restriction laws!

dom89031 on July 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

There will be another Obama arena Tucson/Columbine Memorial II for the victims, Obama 2012 t-shirts hanging on the back of each chair, awaiting their occupant. Obama will relate, “I just came back from the hospital where I visited with Selma, a critically injured girl in a coma, when suddenly she opened her eyes for the first time. (roaring applause and Obama pausing to prolong the effect) Yes, she opened her eyes for the first time! And then she said, with great effort, ‘Don’t let them sell guns Mr. President.’ Well, I’m here to say to little Selma, SELMA, I WON”T FAIL YOU! SELMA, WE WON’T FAIL YOU! WE WON’T FAIL YOU!”

Crowd chants….”WE WON’T FAIL YOU! WE WON’T FAIL YOU! WE WON’T FAIL YOU! FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!”

Obama lifts chin to the heavens and beams.

RasThavas on July 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Late to the thread, and have no idea if this was posted yet, but guy was a member of some Anarchist, Occupy Denver protest group. Surprised?

1984 in real life on July 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Anyone can fly a helicopter but it takes real skill to paint the side of a ship.

Anchors aweigh.

Bishop on July 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Oh, a deck ape. Being a bilge-diving hole snipe takes a bit of talent as well. :)

Moose Drool on July 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

A free tip to little brian….

Until you have the actual facts….you might want to assume that everyone is either a Democrat or an OWS’er.

Two reasons for this:

1. You’ll clam up until you’re sure your right.

2. 9 out of 10 times you’ll actually be correct.

Just sayin’…

Tim_CA on July 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

mark81150 on July 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I never understood why they swapped the M-14 for the 16. It’s disadvantages seemed to me to outweigh its advantages.

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Do not call me an ignoramous.

Daikokuco on July 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I thinks somebody’s panty is in a bunch.

CW on July 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Cleombrotus on July 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Outweigh?

Bingo!

The M-14 was taller and probably heavier (with all the accessories, like ammo, bipod, and such than the average Lao, Viet or Montenyard we are covertly supplying before we started our major troop commitment in Southeast Asia. Was also essentially a throw away weapon…if damaged or jammed, was cheap enough to simply discard.

If LeMay hadn’t procured a ton of the new M-16′s for the Air Force, the 16 would have ended up as merely one of those things we exported to the Third World…or maybe used once in a while by Special Ops types.

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM

You’re an ignoramus. And that is the best thing that can be said about you.

AK-47s are fully automatic, very scarce and expensive in the civilian market, and require an FBI background check prior to transfer. They are assault rifles.

You appear to refer to the semi-auto civilian variations, of which there are many, generically known as AKS rifles. They are not assault rifles.

Much of the confusion stems from the campaign by Josh Sugarmann of the so-called Violence Policy Center to intentionally confuse semi-auto look alike rifles with machine guns. Andrew Traver, BATFE Special Agent and Obama pick to head the agency assisted in the fraud by taking reporters to a range, letting them shoot AK-47s, and then telling the idiot reporters they could get machine guns in any gun shop.

novaculus on July 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You are confusing the AR-15/M16 dichotomy with the AK47. Most AK47s are former-full autos that have been deseared and converted to meet batf regulations. They are NOT expensive and the Romanian ones are incredibly cheap. They are still AK47s! Whereas an AR15 is a gun manufactured as semi-auto. It is not a military surplus M16 that has been converted. Do not call me an ignoramous.

Daikokuco on July 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I am certainly not confusing terms. You are an ignoramus and apparently associate with other ignoramuses if you and your associates refer to generic AKS rifles as AK-47s. As hawkdriver notes, that practice immediately identifies ignoramuses to knowledgeable shooters, who refer to the semi-auto rifles as AKs or AKSs, or by the manufacturer’s designation, such as WASR for some Romanian built rifles.

The BATFE long ago prohibited importation of original AK-47 receivers, even with semi-auto trigger groups. AKS receivers are required to be sufficiently different from AK-47 receivers as to prevent the simple conversion to full auto or select-fire, and virtually all receivers are of new manufacture, as it is easier and cheaper to stamp out a new conforming receiver than to weld up and do machine work on an original AK-47 receiver. For a time after the so-called “Assault Weapons Ban” took effect, there were a lot of “parts sets” sold, which included everything except the receiver and the full-auto capable trigger group. Century Arms made a deal with Romanian arsenals to produce 922r compliant semi-auto rifles, which used new receivers that could not accept hi-cap mags and parts that did not meet military standards and would otherwise have been scrapped. Final assembly and stamping was done in the US to get around the ban. It wasn’t long before other former Soviet-bloc countries and the Chinese military followed similar practices. Current law permits receivers that accept hi-cap mags, and final assembly and stamping is done by the original manufacturer, as the ban on importation is no longer in effect.

The AR-15 was designed by Armalite as a select-fire assault rifle, adopted for service use designated as the M-16. Colt bought the rights and introduced a semi-auto version it designated the AR-15. Somewhere along the way, Colt re-designed the AR-15 receiver so that it was not possible to simply drop in an auto sear and related parts and convert an AR-15 to M-16 specs. There are some M-16 receivers and auto sears on the civilian market, all on the NFA registration list. Many other manufacturers now build AR type rifles that more or less copy the original semi-auto design.

If you don’t want folks to call you an ignoramus, perhaps you should at least learn to spell ignoramus.

novaculus on July 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

novaculus on July 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

+10000000000000

Very good informative post.

tom daschle concerned on July 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM

1984 in real life on July 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

So looks like the killer was not only not Tea Party but may well have been/be OWS (Nancy Pelosi, and maybe Obama too, praised them)

RasThavas on July 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

novaculus on July 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

That was a written beatdown unlike no other.

Well done Sir, well done.

Spliff Menendez on July 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Come on folks, let’s not go there on the whole “Blame the other side” deal. I know people are doing it. But come on really? Do we really need to be latest group of ghouls trying to score political points over the tragedy? It’s not right when they do it, so let’s not do it on our side. Can’t America just acknowledge without blaming Politics/weapons/etc (and thus making excuses for the actions of the killer), just simply acknowledge the blunt honest truth.

Some evil people do this simply because they can and want to. The scum bag murderer who did this, clearly decided, in a cold calculated fashion that he wanted to satisfy his narcissistic ego with the blood of others. Let the family’s of the victims who died grieve for their loved ones, and help the ones who survived recover. Let’s just leave the politics out of this from all sides, and punish the Criminal with the harshest penalties possible.

Razgriez on July 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

1984 in real life on July 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

You seem to have a very low standard of proof. I wouldn’t touch “info” like this with a bargepole. “He said, she said, a friend of a friend was told….”

Sharke on July 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Rusty Allen on July 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

The “suffering” has already been done, by an innocent man who was without sin. More pure than any wind-driven snow any of us have ever experienced.

Do you know this man, Rusty’ ?

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Razgriez on July 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

It’d be nice if it were that simple.

But, as the sun rose on the East Coast this morning, a major news network did a number on a lot of Americans at large, and one in particular, and if it were not for those bloggers who paid attention, and got on that aspect of the story, sending emails and such, that news network would never had been forced to issue a retraction and an apology from one of the two news-celebrities would not have been forthcoming.

Secondly…which well-known politicians have been trying to make political hay on this atrocity since it first crossed the news wires?

Which politicians have been hasty, too hasty, to tie this horrible incident to their favorite meme?

coldwarrior on July 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

If you don’t want folks to call you an ignoramus, perhaps you should at least learn to spell ignoramus stop being one.

novaculus on July 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

That about covers it, far as I’m concerned.

Liam on July 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Rusty Allen on July 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Axe on July 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Just caught your comment, Axe. : )

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM

novaculus on July 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

That about covers it, far as I’m concerned.

Liam
on July 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM

They both work. : )

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I like how Ham throws that out there without bothering to explain why that statement was dumb. So if Ham declares it’s dumb it must be dumb? That’s pretty weak. There’s more truth in Gohmert’s statement then liberal America want’s to admit. You turn a society that never would have dreamed of consuming the violent entertainment we have today to one that craves it and what do you think is going to happen? If you don’t think our entertainment industry isn’t waging a constant attack on Judeo-Christian values, I got a bridge to sell you.

lowandslow on July 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Who cares what kind of cult, group, politics, etc. the murderer belonged to or what he believed in. He’s a cold blooded killer and they caught him. May he rot in hell.

scalleywag on July 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM

scalleywag on July 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Indeed.

Rusty Allen on July 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

1984 in real life on July 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Seems Marc Chamot at The Examiner agrees with you.

“Occupy Black Bloc Member James E. Holmes Shoots Up Aurora Co Movie Theater”

The left’s habit of immediately assigning blame to the right wing (tea party or otherwise) for every murderous rampage one of their own commits continues unabated. The tactic on display here is to get the misinformation out as quickly as possible before public consciousness of the event begins to set, before people have formed any opinions, good or bad. They do not care if they have to print a retraction or even an apology later. Nothing ever comes of it. But the seed is still be planted in the public consciousness, ie. that “right wing extremists” are the real threats and hence are automatic, de facto suspects.

ariel on July 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Dan_Yul on July 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Curious as to how we’ve never seen your posts here on Hot Gas until today.

Sleeper Cell?

Del Dolemonte on July 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I don’t live on here like some of you.

Dan_Yul on July 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I’m waiting form metal detectors to get into movie theaters.
Like at the courthouse.
Which means I’ll just stay home.
For good.

You know there are people out there who WILL ruin everything bcs of this, eventually.
SIGH

Badger40 on July 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Mel Gibson?

Rusty Allen on July 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I’ve had more of this kind of slander from the left and ABC than I can stand. I’m not prepared to simply take it anymore.

Midas on July 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Mel Gibson?

Rusty Allen on July 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Ka – BLAMMMMMMM.
I go through more sarcasm meters that way . . . .

listens2glenn on July 20, 2012 at 8:37 PM

O’Reilly just said babies were killed because the parents were too cheap to pay a babysitter. Dang.

kg598301 on July 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Coming soon: TSA searches at movie theaters movie theaters showing conservative-leaning films.

petefrt on July 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM

How did the killer get in the emergency exit? Side exits ONLY OPEN FROM THE INSIDE. Is this a case of the lone gunman story taking hold, irrespective the eye-witness account?

fatlibertarianinokc on July 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Here are some interesting stats. The following table is homicides per 100,000 people.

Australia: 1.16
United Kingdom: 1.23
Germany: 0.84
Canada: 1.62
United States: 4.8

All the other countries have strict gun laws while the United States does not. If guns aren’t responsible for the increase homicide rate, then what is?

Ric on July 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on July 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I read that he had propped it open after attending the previous showing.

Missy on July 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on July 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I read that he had propped it open after attending the previous showing.

Missy on July 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

No, he entered as a regular guy, sat in the first row, left after the movie started out a side exit, somehow fixed the door, went to his car, suited up and came back in and started shooting.

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Gotcha, thanks. At any rate he somehow managed to arrange it so he could come back in the door.

Missy on July 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I am pleased to announce that, after a hiatus, Yeastie Noyz has returned to the ebony screen of PHUP and is now starring in:

Broad Brushes Paint Wide Swaths

M2RB: Louis XIV

“You like me! You really, really like me!”

- Yeastie Noyz, accepting his “Squirrel!!!” for Best Hypocrite from the Academy of Progressive Blamers, Shifters, Frauds, Liars, “Move along, folks, there’s nothing to see here” Automatons, and Dolts. He was presented his award by last year’s winner, Lucky Pierre, who won for Dances With Dunces.

Resist We Much on July 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM

At this point all the msm hack head ducks have had a “meet up”.
At this point any thing they say will be bent to help the commie Democrat party.
This nut will now be , right wing, racist, not right in the head, yet as time goes by there will be no facts to back up what they say other than another member of the msm.

When some one comes forward with any other story line they will be shut out, called names and side lined.

There is to much power at risk, to near the gun grabbing they lust for to take a chance on the truth.

So they will lie to the end.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Ric on July 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Because scientifically, rationally, and logically, in every way, in all things, culturally and politically, by every current and historical statistical measure and criteria, the US is exactly like Australia, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, except for “strict gun laws”, right?

Moron.

farsighted on July 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

If every one of U.S. had a gun, who would pull one first and figure the rest of U.S. would just sit in a movie seat at 12:00 at night and take one in the scull without pulling out our guns?

Mr. Holmes would be out numbered like 350 to one.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Seems Marc Chamot at The Examiner agrees with you.

“Occupy Black Bloc Member James E. Holmes Shoots Up Aurora Co Movie Theater”

ariel on July 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I really am at a loss for words, that some of you are breathlessly posting the link to this “Bill Warner PI” page (and pages that link to it) which merely speculates that the shooter was an OWS member. There is not one single shred of evidence whatsoever that this is the case, and yet I’ve seen multiple people both on this site and others frantically report as “breaking news” that he was a “Black Bloc” member. I bet some of these same idiots were furious when ABC so stupidly called him a Tea Party member. And yet here we are, doing exactly the same thing. I’m really flabbergasted.

Sharke on July 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

farsighted on July 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I don’t debate people who engage in petty name calling. Have a good night.

Ric on July 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM