White House: No, really, we’re focused like a laser on jobs

posted at 6:41 pm on July 19, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Well, Obama’s jobs council is sure getting plenty of attention now.

Politico reported Obama had been neglecting his all-star panel of CEOs for six months, which led to reporting on the political downsides of meeting with business leaders accused of outsourcing while he’s lambasting Romney for allegedly outsourcing, and reporting on how Obama’s job council agrees with Romney’s tax plan, and Jay Carney’s stuttering 2-minutes of nothing, which led to today’s RNC ad on the subject, which highlights stats even Politifact had to green-light without contorting itself into a dubious “Half-True” certification. Oh, awkward turtle.

The White House insisted again Thursday that it thinks the jobs council is pretty keen. When asked about the issue, Carney responded that the president’s “extremely appreciative” of the group.

“This president is focused on job creation and economic growth and he is using every tool in his tool box to advance economic growth.”

Sure, he just uses a tool box like a sophomore in college in her first apartment. How does a crescent wrench work again?

Obama told a Florida audience today that he spends “every waking hour” thinking about them and “fighting as hard” as he knows how for them.

If you listen between the lines, you’ll hear this: “I would wake up every single day, every single day and spend every waking hour thinking about you…because I see myself in you.” Now, that I buy.

The Miami Herald sets the scene down south, illustrating the, ahem, change from HopenChange’s first go-round with a telling header: “Has the Florida thrill faded for President Barack Obama?”

In 2008, a packed and enthusiastic crowd of 9,000 greeted Obama at Veteran’s Arena. This year, the number of supporters was estimated at 3,000 on the first of a two-day swing through the nation’s largest battleground state.

Obama has sunk as much as $17 million in Florida ads — mostly negative — but he remains statistically tied with Romney in the Sunshine State and the rest of the nation, according to a batch of state and national polls.

Maybe the phaser is accidentally set to kill.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

That triggered a memory itch. I scratched it.

Guess who said this.

When we meet here, do we not feel the wonder of it all? Not every one of you can see me, and I cannot see every one of you. But I feel you, and you feel me. It is faith in our nation that has made small people great, that has made anxious people courageous, and has joined us together.

farsighted on July 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM

No. We need to give him another CHANCE to CHANGE

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

peace out. ya’ll be rowdy.

ted c on July 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM

A sort of intermittent, fuzzy, dispersed LASER that bounces between golf courses, beer gardens, and fast food joints.

crosspatch on July 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I’ve known how to use a a crescent wrench on nuts for years. I’d be more than happy to give you a demonstration. ;-)

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Blast. Half a dozen responses and half a dozen scuttles. Too bawdy, too disrespectful, too fraught — and it doesn’t help having the hamster peeking in …

In an irony I am certain the Universe will enjoy, I am forced to do the only gentlemanly thing available to me — concede.

Florida 1, Axe 0. :)

Bloody morals. Snark yearns to be free!

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I’d truly love to see Obama, a few years from now, on Maxwell Street, hawking Treyvon hoodies from a card table…

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Let me quote Joe Wilson:

“You Lie!”

Truer words have never been spoken about 0bama.

ProfShadow on July 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Painting goo-goo smiles on turds and calling them baby dolls rarely fools anyone.

Pork-Chop on July 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

ted c on July 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

From the same movie, here in Dorothy’s (Zellweger’s) words about Jerry Maguire is how Obama got elected in the first place and how some in that crowd today probably thought:

I love him! I love him for the man he wants to be. And I love him for the man he almost is.

TXUS on July 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I am forced to do the only gentlemanly thing available to me — concede.

Florida 1, Axe 0. :)

Bloody morals. Snark yearns to be free!

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I always did think you were a wise man. ;-)

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

His laser doesn’t appear to be working to well, maybe he needs to go nuclear.

DDay on July 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I always did think you were a wise man. ;-)

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

MY KINGDOM FOR A SOCK PUPPET

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

His laser doesn’t appear to be working to well, maybe he needs to go nuclear.

DDay on July 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Let’s not forget that the laser was made in China.

Happy Nomad on July 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I’m thinking he’ll be standing next to Michelle’s Tamale Stand. In the rain. Next to a sewer. And Jesse Jackson, Jr., if he ever shows up again.

Where in the world is JJ Jr?

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Good Times!

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Kind of comparable to Dingy Harry today not being able to answer why the Dims didn’t do something when they controlled all the branches. His answer was “next question”.

Dingbat63 on July 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

White House: No, really, we’re focused like a laser on jobs

“And, if we can’t shoot enough of them down that way, we’ll break out the photon torpedoes!”

Benedict Nelson on July 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM

It’s hard to play your best golf when your focused on how to put people back to work and not on your game….I really feel for this guy.

DWoDiego on July 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM

His rhetoric really is devolving into sophomoric mush yet there they sit, the dwindling adorers gazing longingly at their master. How very sad to be one of those remaining ignorant dupes who willingly swallows his drivel. They are nothing more to him than political cannon fodder — expendable and and contemptible at the same time.

natasha333 on July 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

MY KINGDOM FOR A SOCK PUPPET

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I seem to be good at collecting them. They cling a bit. Be glad to cut you a deal on one. Of course most of them in my collection are left.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Where in the world is JJ Jr?

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Last seen in the “projects” in South Chicago…auditioning to replace JJ Walker?

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I think they meant to say they’re focused like uh lazily on jobs. And just what kinda tools are in that toolbox anyway?

MKH, love your paragraph-long opening sentence–I do that often and intentionally and especially in comment posts.

stukinIL4now on July 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

As much as I’d like to joke about this, it is a serious question. He was the one that bought Obama’s seat through Blago. His last known words were, “I thought I was going to be a Senator”.

Where is he?

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

0 always forgets to take his finger off the trigger when holstering his sidearm. Dante won’t understand this.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I thought I was going to be a Senator

And while we’re at it, where is Jesse Jackson, Sr.?

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Apparently being treated for a “mood disorder” last time I heard.

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Apparently being treated for a “mood disorder” last time I heard.

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

As a sitting member of Congress, I think We The People need to know where this kid is.

His father has also been notably absent.

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Does he know he looks like a clown yet? Bouncing all over the place now he’s fighting everyday, private sector doing fine? You didn’t earn it, now he back to fighting for you and laser like focus on jobs. Totally unhinged wait till it gets worst for him.

Conservative4ev on July 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Here we go. Nation of Islam called in to quell Chicago violence

Who’s to stop it?

Key West Reader on July 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

This President is now officially unreelectable. Time to head for Intrade and buy me some Mittens.

SomeCallMeJohn on July 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

SomeCallMeJohn on July 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I’m with ya

Conservative4ev on July 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Apparently being treated for a “mood disorder” last time I heard.

coldwarrior on July 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Night sweats too I bet :D

burrata on July 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

You keep using that word “laser”. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

smellthecoffee on July 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Laser…lazy…close enough for government work.

CitizenEgg on July 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Heh. Isn’t that the one with a roll of duct tape and an oil can? The instructions read: if it moves and it’s not supposed to, tape it. And if it doesn’t move and it’s supposed to, oil it.

CitizenEgg on July 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Oh Lord, he’s calling himself a promise keeper now?

How about cutting that debt in half?

Wagthatdog on July 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

When all you’ve got is a hammer (and a sickle)…

Oh…and focused like a laser?

Left Coast Right Mind on July 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, he’s focused on jobs: Caddies, greens-keepers, the people that keep the golf carts charged…

RoadRunner on July 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

CitizenEgg on July 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Hey….that always worked for me… :)

SubmarineDoc on July 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Whatever.

MT on July 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Every sleeping hour.

Hey Choomboy, close that window!

AshleyTKing on July 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM

White House: No, really, we’re focused like a laser on jobs

You mean like a laser pointed at a disco ball?

Yeah. lots of light, but no focus.

oooh, oooh.

Disco Inferno.

dissent555 on July 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM

This is gratuitously OT, but it’s late,
so whatever:
Contestant: “I’d like to buy an O.”
Pat Sajak: “No.”

EricW on July 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM

A driver, a putter, a mashie, a sand wedge…

JimC on July 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Yessir, I’m focused like a laser….did you see that shot?

bluesdoc70 on July 20, 2012 at 1:05 AM

He sees us as a composite of typical White people.

Bulletchaser on July 20, 2012 at 1:22 AM

he is using every tool in his tool box to advance economic growth.”

that would be this tool box no doubt:

he and his doo-bee don’t bees will say absolutely anything- and it’s only going to get worse. absolute filth. they are just filth.

mittens on July 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Someone stated the other day to me how much they loathed the Greek people. Many retire at 50, fully paid and cared for with generous benefits, etc.

My retort to stunned silence was- “I actually feel sorry for them.” They have been fooled by a government and representatives who were afraid to speak the truth. Which is- such benefits and other cradle to grave handouts were fiscally irresposible, economically ruinous, destroy individual initative and are ultimately ununsustainable.

And yet here we have the same pack of fallacious lies from Mr. Obama. That the is the rich, businesses, banks and productive members of society would only give their “their fair share”, whatever that might be, America would be a utopian paradise.

Nonsense. Not only are these Socialist, Collective ideas proven to be patently false and anti-capitalist, but they are destructive to the principles and ideals of a free people.

This President knows nothing about job creation or running a capitalist society- the last four years and a trail of excuses have proven that. And now in desperation he peddles the same divisive rhetoric and siren song that destroyed every one else yielding to it.

What he labeled “change” four years ago was really transformation into into something foreign, destructive, divisive that threatens the very core of our republic.

This long nightmare will hopefully end in November and we can start to rebuild- together.

Marcus Traianus on July 20, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Marcus Traianus on July 20, 2012 at 7:21 AM

And if it doesn’t…?

Extrafishy on July 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM

And if it doesn’t…?

Extrafishy on July 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM

There’s a reason I’m trying to get permission to visit my old gradeschool (the church sold the property) with a camera…for just one last time. PTL I don’t need the same to go visit my old neighborhood.

MelonCollie on July 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM

These are the jobs he thinks about every waking hour: caddies and grounds keepers.

sadatoni on July 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Lasers generally don’t need to be focused because they are coherent – something obama isn’t.

Old Country Boy on July 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Old Country Boy on July 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I feel like such a nerd for understanding that.

But then, I AM a nerd, so big deal!

MelonCollie on July 20, 2012 at 8:29 AM

One of the jobs that Obama has created is on the US Olympic team…Javlin Catcher!!!

logicman_1998 on July 20, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Obviously, Obama has no clue as to what a “laser” is!!!!!

phoebe1 on July 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM

And if it doesn’t…?

Extrafishy on July 20, 2012 at 7:43 AM

It’s becoming fairly inconceivable to most honest people that it won’t end. I believe that is also becoming patently clear to Mr. Obama as well.

To wit, why all the authoritarian, imperial president actions vis a vis Executive Order and government agencies- some of it arguably legal? It can’t possibly be only to please or rally his base.

I believe it possible Mr. Obama is trying to further move the goalposts so when he does lose, it makes it that much harder for any predecessor, without using the same types of actions, which he is betting they won’t, to roll back these “changes”.

Every day this country is moving further and further towards complete destruction. Our economic news is bad for the foreseeable future, job prospects grim, businesses, apparently the new enemies of state (along with financial employees, coal miners, oil companies, the rich and I could go on ad infinitum).

Other than the very small and shrinking pool of the president’s hard core supporters- who does that serve? Rhetorically, not a majority of the voters who own this government.

Marcus Traianus on July 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Sure they’re concerned about jobs. They’re concerned about Barack’s job, Valerie’s job, Michelle’s job, Joe Biden’s job, that’s why they haven’t met with the jobs council in 6 months and they’re out on the campaign trail all the time.

bflat879 on July 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM