Quotes of the day

posted at 10:01 pm on July 19, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

***

The Mitt Romney who spoke in Bowling Green, Ohio, on Wednesday wasn’t robotic or stilted. Speaking without a teleprompter, he paced the stage, jabbing at the air with an index finger, shirtsleeves rolled up, surrounded on all sides by an amped-up crowd. There seemed to be a new fire in his belly, an unaccustomed passion. For Romney’s stumbling campaign, an adrenaline injection may have come from the most unexpected precinct: the famously uninspiring candidate himself. …

“What he’s saying,” Romney told the crowd in Bowling Green, “is that if someone has succeeded, if they built something, he’s saying they didn’t really build it — no, it was the government, it was the government that takes responsibility. So for the student in school that works hard to get on the honor roll, that’s not really them — it was their teacher that did that, and the government that paid for it. And if somebody came here across the border legally and brought their family seeking a better life, their success is not due to them — no, no, they didn’t build it; the government gets credit for that. And if a person in their job says, ‘You know what, I’m going to work hard an get more skills, and I got a promotion’ — that promotion, oh by the way, that’s not yours, that’s thanks to government. That’s where this leads.”

It was the vehemence with which Romney delivered these lines that was surprising — a forcefulness usually absent from his bland recitation of a stump speech calculated first and foremost to offend as few people as possible. By (arguably) dissing free enterprise, Obama, it seems, struck at the core of Romney’s being, arousing at long last the passion beneath his buttoned-up exterior.

***

Mitt Romney made an impromptu swing by a Massachusetts body shop Thursday afternoon to again hammer President Obama over the president’s suggestion last week that the success of private enterprises in the United States were dependent on public infrastructure and programs. …

It wasn’t a gaffe. It was instead his ideology,” Romney said. …

“The president does, in fact, believe that people who build enterprises like this really aren’t responsible for it,” Romney said. “But in fact it’s a collective success of the whole society that somehow builds enterprises like this. My view, we have to celebrate people who started enterprises and employ other people.” …

“If you attack success, you’ll continue to see what we’ve seen over these past three and a half years, and that’s less success … I don’t think the president by his comments suggests an understanding of what makes America such a great nation,” Romney said.

***

I think Obama has made the gaffe of the year when he said if you created a business, you didn’t build it. That phrase, ‘you didn’t build it’ should be hung around Obama until the end of his presidency.

I read the totality of the statement and it’s worse if you read it all. Essentially, he has a view that is antithetical to view that the majority of the Americans have, which is that enterprise, initiative of the markets are what drive American wealth and excellence and achievements. Government is parasitic on that and lives off the excess wealth in the form of taxation.

Obama has view at the heart of American excellence and achievement is government. not enterprise. And I think what Romney ought to do is take the headline in today’s lead editorial in the Wall Street Journal, ‘Solyndra versus Staples.’ And he has to have a simple slogan, Romney, which is, ‘Obama and his administration gave you Solyndra, using your money incidentally. I and my colleagues in the free enterprise system gave you Staples with all the jobs and all the wealth and all the accrued wealth it gave to the foundations with the pension and the universities that invested with us in those enterprises.’

***

***

These defining moments take hold most devastatingly when they confirm what a large portion of the electorate already believes. Taken alone, it seems unfair that a single moment, an unguarded remark or a slip of the tongue can carry such weight. They’re often dismissed as “gotcha” moments, but when voters are able to nod and say, “I knew it,” these moments stick and do terrible damage. We have witnessed such a moment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM

cpaulus on July 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I think we will know early on election night how it will go.

If Pennsylvania goes for Romney it will be a disaster for Obama. If Virginia goes for Obama, Romney is done for. Ohio and New Hampshire for Romney would be a bad sign for Obama. Florida for Obama is also a Romney disaster.

We have a long way to go yet to be counting any chickens.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Austria.

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Don’t they speak Australian there?

Gohawgs on July 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Schadenfreude
thanks for the ‘You didn’t built that’ link, I saved some to pass around……….;-)

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Don’t they speak Australian there?

Gohawgs on July 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM

“No, they speak Austrian” — Obama, the ‘eclectic’ oaf

Bmore and angrymike, you’re welcome.

Only Shostakovich piece I like.

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Sharrukin
I really don’t see Ohio going Obie’s way, I know of two ppl voting for him and I still have time change one of their minds……….oh, I know lots of ppl………

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Not lived unless experienced Seiji Osawa, live.

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM

He did a very nice rendition of Fortune Plango Vulnera and O Fortuna. One of my favorites.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Not lived unless experienced Seiji Osawa, live.

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Here is my favorite Strauss waltz, the Emperor Waltz. The cello part is heartbreakingly beautiful.

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM

We have a long way to go yet to be counting any chickens.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I’m largely in agreement with you ther. The anecdotal evidence I have been enjoying keeps my sails filled with a promising breeze. I won’t believe any of it until he is removed. My confidence is quite high that he will be unseated. It will be ugly. That said I think you make a good assessment about Va and Pa. I feel good about it even with Romney.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM

We have a long way to go yet to be counting any chickens.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I don’t think we’re going to know early outside of NH (because it’s small) and VA (because if its close that’s a good sign for Obama), but I agree with your sentiment. There are going to be states where once they are called we’ll know. Though I actually expect we’ll with polling in the days before unless it’s at 48-48 or something, which I don’t expect it to be.

I actually think Obama’s campaign might have peaked and has nowhere to go but down now without a scandal from Romney. I think they know that and that is why they’re making a play for the tax records. I think Romney knows that too, which is why he’s not giving it to them despite not having anything wrong with them. They’ve basically said as much. I expect Romney to be up 55-44 after the convention and then to fall to 52 by election day.

However, this is all based on him not picking Portman or Pawlenty. I think he’s deciding between Ryan, Jindal, and Condi. (I don’t think Rubio was ever in the mix, too inexperienced.)

cpaulus on July 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM

ther= there, ipad

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Austria.

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Don’t they speak Australian there?

Gohawgs on July 20, 2012 at 1:43 AM

No, they speak Austrian, although they didn’t know that until Obama told them.

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 1:53 AM

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Perhaps not, but we have a long road ahead and miles to go before we sleep.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Austria.

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Very nice. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Indeed

Sat in that room, with dignitaries from all over the world. Talk about breathtaking to live through one of those concerts. All of history descends upon you, and art and beauty envelope you.

Then, when it’s over you have to walk outside…

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Virginia is one state I am somewhat concerned about. Mainly because of the large numbers of Fed employees. Still the state has seemed to reject many of 0′s plans for them. I think it will be close, but I think it manages to go red.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:57 AM

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Thank you. He has left Boston a long time ago, and went back to Vienna, where he studied under the best of the best. He’s a riot, fully engaged in his art, with soul and body, and loves to cook as a hobby. Many conductors are arrogant. He is their antithesis.

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I wish we had more folks who enjoyed Sypmphany. I love Opera, I’m generally the only one here who does. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM

My confidence isn’t as high as yours. Not yet. Obama should be in serious trouble given the national mood and the economy and he’s neck and neck with Romney. The congressional republicans were out-raised by the Democrats and that tells me that there is a lack of trust in the GOP with the base. This thing with Palin is amateur hour and bluntly, rather petty. Obama is frankly doing rather well for having such a crappy hand to play.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM

cpaulus on July 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM

I think Pawlenty is going to be the one, but it may be Rubio, or (shudder) Jeb Bush. I would be surprised if it was Ryan, but pleasantly so.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Well, I’m out, good night fellow conservatives……….. Have a wonderful night…………;-)

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I’m generally the only one here who does. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Not the only one, but you are special :)

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Indeed

Then, when it’s over you have to walk outside…

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Yes, it must be a wonderful experience. I know the Musikverein, but I never attended a New Year’s Concert. Was it difficult to get tickets?

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Night.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:05 AM

There you go angrymike, sorry it took me a minute, I was up on three.

The Feral Irishman.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Was it difficult to get tickets?

Gelsomina on July 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Incredibly difficult for the outside, like the lottery, no kidding; literally it is a draw from the hat, every year. However, I had an acquaintance who was a life-long member, and who received a couple every year. After a while even that gets old…gave the tickets away, gratis. The person passed away in the meanwhile.

Schadenfreude on July 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Good Night angrymike Sleep Well.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Seeli Toivio Liebestraum

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

This is one I like.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Not any more.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Obama is frankly doing rather well for having such a crappy hand to play.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I don’t think he is. I think he is in a bad way and its starting to really show. Folks are being not compliant, the polls are skewed horrifically, his campaign is a mess. All economic factors suggest historically he is baked. He is polling behind where an incumbent should be. The polls are weighted in his favor a remarkable amount. Families are struggling and nervous. HeII regular folks and wealthier folks all are nervous. They watch many of their investments get clobbered on to have 0 print so much money that even gold is worth less than it should be. Inflation has started to grab hold at the grocery, gas is not coming down. The worth of so many things folks own is down or gone. I have faith folks will vote with their pocketbooks. Either we start to correct now or we don’t. I think people are starting to get that. They just aren’t buying what 0 is trying so hard to sell them. Its hurt. People just want to make the hurt stop.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Callas, Casta Diva, Norma, Bellini

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:17 AM

B
I know I’m a pain but, you think tomorrow evening earlier in QOTD you could repost so everyone here early can get a good chuckle………. I’ll talk at ya during the day……..good night bud…….:-)

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Seeli Toivio Liebestraum

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Beautiful.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Has always made me wonder….How can you not like that? The movement of it. It is inside of you , filling ones mind with dimension.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM

angrymike on July 20, 2012 at 2:18 AM

You my friend are never to be confused with a pain. I had planned on double posting. HeIIfire I may triple post it. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I don’t disagree with your list at all. What I am saying is that the long list of problems he is facing should have him down in the polls and he just isn’t. Everything you have listed is breaking Romney’s way and he is still treading water far more than he should be. I don’t believe that things will continue to go Romney’s way because that is asking too much of fortune. Obama will, sooner or later catch some breaks.

I am disappointed that Obama isn’t doing much worse.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Renee Fleming , Ave Maria, Othello

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:24 AM

This is one I like.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Lovely.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:24 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Good evening. I’m glad you like it. Seeli and her brother are amazing.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:19 A

Good Evening. I know what you mean. It sweeps me away.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I am disappointed that Obama isn’t doing much worse.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I might be if 0 was up 60 40 in an honest poll. Breaking even in weighted polls does not bode well for him. His “you didn’t build this moment” I believe is the straw. Shall he prove me wrong I will be very surprised. I’m not sure if you were around in the late 70′s or interested if you were. There was a vibe. It was palpable. Its here again. Its turned away from him. I think his time is too short to recover. Romney needs to have a b game, hopefully he will surprise us with a b+. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Good Evening. I know what you mean. It sweeps me away.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I have a love of all things musical. Its a tic. Something I have never been able to nor wanted to correct. I’m not an well educated fellow. Certainly not well read. But I know what touches me. Rock brings out my less controlled energy, some might say anger as opposed to passion. Opera is passion. Jazz is happy mischief and so on. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM

That’s actually one of the more encouraging things I have heard. The next month in polling will tell a story, as will the numbers released tomorrow on his fundraising.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Beautiful.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:19 AM

LOL! Lurking?

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Chopin, Nocturne in E flat Major Opus 9 no.2

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Well you know the old saying, Time will tell, or we will all have to go Galt. ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Or flee to Russia where capitalism seems to be on the rise.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Music, like mathematics, is a universal language. It plays across the senses and it ‘takes you places’.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Chopin, Nocturne in E flat Major Opus 9 no.2

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM

A very nice selection for me to fall off to sleep with. I’ll leave you with my grave side music. ; )

Good Night All.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Love Physics, suck at math. LOL! ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Night.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:40 AM

LOL! Lurking?

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I woke up and couldn’t go back to sleep. I figured the chit chat here would do the trick. :)

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Good night, Bmore. Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I had to run earlier unexpectedly.

If I didnt reply to someone..I apologize.

Flora..Thank you! I will have a drink for u. Have a great weekend.

CMShere is a re-post from today I promised..via Bmore. Not just for you but everyone..go viral.

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Or flee to Russia where capitalism seems to be on the rise.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM

You don’t have to worry about me fleeing. I’ll be back against the mountain until I’m gone. Besides I promised Schadenfreude I’d help with the barricades. LOL! Night sharrukin . ; )

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

thatsafactjack

Hey, are you a newbie? You dont seem to be but I dont recall.

Just curious Jack..No offense.

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Or flee to Russia where capitalism seems to be on the rise.

sharrukin on July 20, 2012 at 2:37 AM

LOL Well since you were all linking classical (I think?) and all my favorite composers happen to be Russian anyway, why not?

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Good Night bazil9. xo

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

No offense taken! I’ve been around. I’ve enjoyed your posts a great deal. Good evening, Bazil9. Nice to meet you.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Goodnight B. Have a good day tomorrow doing…er, whatever it is that you do when you aren’t here! :)

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:46 AM

cpaulus on July 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM

To start, I agree with your logic on Rubio. Assuming reelection to the Senate, I’d look for him to be running for the Presidency in either 2020 or 2024 – especially the latter. I see Rubio not to be the type to run while serving in the Senate. Two full terms in the Senate (which would end in 2023) basically sets him up for the 2024 election.

I’m fairly optimistic also about Romney’s chances. Factoring in how the electorate changed from 2008 to 2010, the electorate in probably verging closer to the 2004 electoral map, but trading out New Mexico for New Hampshire. Iowa’s the new bellwether that Missouri used to be.

The electoral maps always looks bad for Republicans because the Democrats are expected to win the big electoral states of California, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Michigan. Keep in mind since 2000, West Virginia flipped to the Republicans. Obama and the Democrats are going very, very poorly among white working class voters throughout the Upper Midwest. If Indiana, Ohio, and a third state, either Wisconsin, Michigan, or Pennsylvania to go Romney, its quite likely they all do, especially if Iowa falls the same way. Despite the talk about Virginia, the real key to the election is going to be decided in the Rust Belt.

The Rust Belt used to be a leaning-Republican region, and Obama is the type of candidate that drives working class voters back to the Republican party.

Jurisprudence on July 20, 2012 at 2:46 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I’m playing it now. Outstanding. Has the Old Russia flavor. Love that coronet!

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Good Night bazil9. xo

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

You leaving? :(

I need to get some rest to- hitting the road by noon. So, been a little bad tonight.
One of my best friends called..had to drop HA. :)

I would take ya with me if I could..you would enjoy it I am thinking.;)
Night buddy.

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I’m with Bmore. It’s palpable. Obama has been at it since April– $100 million worth of negative ads, outspending Romney 3 to 1– to take Romney out before he gets into the race. Really, it’s the only sort of campaign Obama could have run, given that he’s the incumbent, the election will be a referendum on him and his presidency, and he can’t run on his record.

Yet despite his huge, 10-to-1 campaign cash advantage over Romney from the beginning, with Romney not even allowed to spend funds raised for the general election until August 27th, the best Obama can do is hold onto a statistical tie in the polls?

He needed to have done a LOT better by this point, because after the Olympics the campaign belongs to Romney. He’ll have reversed Obama’s campaign cash advantage and will outspend him 2 or more to 1 in advertising, when voters are actually listening. Obama’s campaign is taking on water already. He’s into deficit spending to keep it afloat. (Can’t run a campaign any better than the economy.) His attacks failed to do what they needed to do, appear to be backfiring now, and he just might have set Romney’s hair on fire.

This article sums up where I think Obama’s campaign finances are headed. And this one, where I think Obama stands now, at his high-water mark. Starting with the latest revelations of his campaign finance disaster in the making in his FEC filing tomorrow, it’s all downhill for the Won.

Nothing’s a given, and the race isn’t always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but right now I’d take Romney’s odds over Obama’s. My two cents before bedtime.

de rigueur on July 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM

You didnt answer me though..
I can assume then..assuming isnt always best. :p
We met-member Cali?

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 2:52 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

My favorite Russian procession, and now I really gotta turn in.

de rigueur on July 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I’m playing it now. Outstanding. Has the Old Russia flavor. Love that coronet!

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Oh, no! That’s just a goofy version. It’s just funny because someone has set it to pictures from NKorea. This is much better.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 2:52 AM

YES! LOL! But I didn’t want to suggest that you didn’t! I still feel like a lost dog, too.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM

My favorite Russian procession, and now I really gotta turn in.

de rigueur on July 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I love that, too….so thrilling! :) Goodnight!

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:57 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM

You’re right…. MUCH better… I thought that video was a little peculiar… :)

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM

LOL! Sure but do you live in a hole, holler or hollow?

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

For Bmore, it’s no Karajan, but I think it’s funny!

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Dramatic.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Thanks Cyndy, I do the same thing I’ve done since nearly losing my life back in 79. I live my life. I do as I wish. I know that sounds strange to some. Consider this, life is fleeting. It could be gone in an instant. So get some living done while you can. It’s fun!

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM

lol B..I never knew. We must part ways then. ;) No opera for Little B..I will take anything else.
I told you..your the renaissance man.

CMS..if you are on morning shift..I posted the video for you. See above. Rock the Valley of the Sun. We miss ya here.

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM

If I don’t get to talk to you before you leave. You and yours have a lovely time my dear. xo

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 3:03 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM

How do you feel about Russian literature?

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I’d better go toss and turn for a while. Maybe this will help. A little obvious, but what can I do?

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:05 AM

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Are we speaking Cali code?
Hmmmm. :)
I feel a sock. Crew or argle..I haven’t figured it out yet. :p

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:05 AM

How do you feel about Russian literature?

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I’ve read most of the West’s idea of the classics, I suppose…Crime and Punishment, Anna Karenina, Brothers Karamzov, etc. Dense and hard to get through, although I do actually enjoy Turgenev and Chekov. And the playwrights, of course.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM

What happened to you in 1979? And I agree, living is fun. Especially in retrospect! :)

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Bmore on July 20, 2012 at 3:03 AM

TY my man. Just me.
But thx. I will. I will eat drink and be merry. ~~~~
I will send ya some pics via email.
My great grandfather has a cool boat in his honor there..he built it for diving but gave it to the Gov for WW2 help in the Fl panhandle. A historical little thingy now.
I know u like history..I will share..maybe forest worthy. :)
I’ll mail u in the AM.

Nights. xo

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:05 AM

LOL! You’re delightful.

I was referring to what I was saying the other day about how the California that I loved is gone forever… and it leaves me unable to ‘go home’… so I guess I must feel a lot like a lost dog feels.

I was also thinking of the ‘rain dog’ image. Where a dog goes running, exploring, and as he goes he leaves a scent trail…so he can find his way home again… but then it rains while he’s out there… and washes his scent trail away…. and so he can’t find his way home again.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I’ll look up a book I have of the old pre-soviet folk tales and short stories. I’ll dig it out later and I’ll post the title when we’re on again. I’d give it to you now… but its in a box in the attic somewhere. It fascinating and an excellent portrait of the people, too.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Changes things, I know…that moment changes everything. Why I am serious..and not so serious. paradox.
Been there. Glad your here B. 79..I was 6.
Accident? ..doing the math..you were then 19ish. Young and reckless?

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM

This is truly awesome.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Bmore….you were born @1960?

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:17 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:17 AM

This is astonishing. I had to check to be sure I was seeing what I was hearing… after that other video:)….amazing.. this is so powerful.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM

The full chorus starts around 6:53.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

lol..you have some charm dude. No one has said I am delightful in a while. I shall show this to my better half…chuckle.

I am with you. I miss my home..My fam was career military..why I was even born there. They are from Fl and SC originally.
Cali is/was an amazing place.

Now Bmore doesn’t believe me..but back in the day- our peaches beat the hell out of GA peaches. Like beautiful softballs. Artichokes as big as foot balls. As Palin said..gone to save some bait fish. :(

So, I have my many good memories. Even of San Fran. Loved it. Watching something awesome die..just sucks. (understatement-sorry not a writer like u) Whats the old saying..you cant go back home?
I have a tender spot for the Cali peeps here.

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Just hit it! I took the precaution of setting up my desk top and my laptop tonight! My desk top has MUCH better speaker system.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:27 AM

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM

I was trying to remember the name of book that I read a few years ago about the descendant of a Russian family who returned after perestroika to find out what had happened to the family estate. All his life he had seen old photographs of his family there before the revolution and dreamt of going there himself. It was a fascinating story.

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:28 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I mourn the loss too, trust me. And it does suck. I too have a soft spot for us California refugees.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM

If you find it let me know. It sounds fascinating. This choir is unbelievable.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM

If you find it let me know. It sounds fascinating. This choir is unbelievable.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

huh? Mis-comment error?

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

bazil9 on July 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM
If you find it let me know. It sounds fascinating. This choir is unbelievable.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Hmmmm?

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Sorry about that misfire! I’m very tired. I’ve been working all day and I worked until after daylight last night. I got inspired. I guess I need a couple of hours of sleep!

Cynccook, always a pleasure. Let me know about that book and I’ll try to find the book of short stories, too.

Bazil9, its great to find a new friend and fellow refugee.

Good night to you both, I’m off to sleep… “perchance to dream”.

thatsafactjack on July 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Goodnight, Jack, goodnight Bazil! It’s too early for me to get up (or at least to stay up), too!

cynccook on July 20, 2012 at 3:46 AM

BREAKING,Carnage at Batman Movie in Denver!!

Ten killed in Denver movie shooting: local radio
DENVER, Colorado | Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:32am EDT
************************************************

(Reuters) – A masked gunman shot dead 10 people and wounded 30 to 40 others at a showing of new Batman movie “The Dark Knight Rises” at a movie theater in the U.S. city of Denver, local radio station KOA reported on Friday, citing witnesses.

The radio station said a figure in a gas mask had opened fire at the showing in a mall in the suburb of Aurora and set off a smoke or tear gas bomb. It said initial police estimates were of 30-40 injured.

====================

For UpDates:

canopfor on July 20, 2012 at 4:53 AM

UPDATE:

Live video coverage of Aurora, Colorado mass shooting from @9News (KUSA) -Story metadata:
Submitted 4 mins ago from http://www.9news.com by editor