Priebus: No one’s been invited to speak at the GOP convention yet

posted at 12:01 pm on July 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Has Sarah Palin been snubbed by the RNC?  Did Chris Christie get inked into the keynote slot to start the Republican convention?  Hold your horses, GOP chair Reince Priebus told Chris Stigall on CBS radio in Philadelphia this morning.  As of right now, no one’s been invited to do anything — and the schedule won’t even begin to be addressed for another two or three weeks:

STIGALL: How much of that convention are you involved with, and who calls the shots?  And the reason I ask is, there’s this big deal right now about whether Sarah Palin’s been invited by Mitt Romney to speak, that Chris Christie — we haven’t talked about that yet this morning — has been named keynote on Tuesday to speak.  Can you talk about people speaking, who’s invited, who’s not, who’s in charge?  How’s that work?

PRIEBUS: [laughs] Well, I can tell you how that works.  I mean, it’s generally a very cooperative effort between the RNC and Mitt Romney. So, between their campaign and us, most things are like a 50/50 marriage.  I mean, that’s how I would describe decisions at the convention.  There’s also another component, which is the host committee in Tampa.  So both conventions have a group of people who are charged with the responsibility of raising all the money in a 501(c)3 charitable organization that actually raises the money so that the conventions can be put on.  We actually are charged with spending the money, and then we put on the program and all of the other things that you see  at the convention.  Those decisions of programming and putting all of these things together — they’re generally made by both entities.

And so, to your question now, there is no program set by us or the Romney team.  So most of these things you hear — although these are great people you’re referring to — all these things are just rumors.  I mean, there’s just no truth to the fact that people are getting phone calls and being invited to speak right now, because the program isn’t set.  So, when you guys hear things like that, you can generally assume that it’s just talk, and there still is time for –

STIGALL: So you cannot — so you’re saying that it is not confirmed that Chris Christie is the keynote speaker of this convention?

PRIEBUS: No, I don’t think anything’s confirmed right now.  I think that’s just rumor.  Now, I mean, Chris Christie is a key guy, but I can’t tell you that there’s a confirmation that he’s speaking on Tuesday night.  I think these are decisions that, you know, us and Team Romney are going to be making over the next few weeks.

STIGALL: On that, then there’s also no truth to “Sarah Palin is not welcome at the convention”?

PRIEBUS: Of course not!

STIGALL: Okay. Do you anticipate she’ll be there, if you were to guess?

PRIEBUS: You know, I have no idea.  I have no idea based on the schedule, based on what’s going on on programming.  I just don’t know what to tell you about it, other than it’s pretty early.  I mean, these are not — these are things that people will start making final decisions on probably, you know, in the second week of August.

In other words, if your favorite politico hasn’t received a speaking slot yet … relax.

Update: Also, as a reminder, Rick Santorum — who will certainly be given a speaking slot — told ABC this week that he hadn’t received his invitation, either.  Consider that another data point in the argument that nothing has yet been decided.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

The purpose of the convention is to “officially” nominate a candidate, and send him or her into the main campaign season with the wind at his or her back. That nominee is Mitt Romney. Has Palin endorsed him? No. Will she endorse him? Who knows. If she does, will it be enthusiastic or luke warm? Because if it’s luke warm, THAT will be the news coming out of the convention if she is given a speaking slot. Good, maybe, for Palin’s schtick, but bad for the prospects of sending barack obama packing. YOU may be perfectly happy having Sarah Palin lick her wounds backstage at the convention after stabbing Romney in the back while obama cruises to victory, but I am not. If she is 100% on board with getting Romney elected, she’ll get a spot. If she isn’t, she won’t. And she’s going to have to show her cards to the folks running that convention.

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I think you are dead wrong. Palin has done more to send Obama
packing than Mitt could ever do. Palin has called out Obama
on a consistent basis. Articles were printed about her points
of view in WSJ and IBD, along with her posted articles on facebook.
While Mitt was testing the waters with his forefinger in the air,
Palin was tackling the big jobs. With two words, “death panels” she started the ball rolling on repealing Obamacare.

Every republican, rino or conservative, owes Palin a debt of
gratitude. And payback is her place of honor at the convention.

This isn’t about Palin’s “schtick” as you put it, it is about
honor and decency. Something the rino repubs, Mittbotts and
Romney himself have yet to show us.

Amjean on July 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Hey RT, I’m waiting for that list of notable Heartland COnservatives involved in the COnvention or the upper echelons of the Romney Campaign.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hmmmmm…how will they know? Call in the Grand Inquisitor? Truth serum?

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Sure. So why not make all sides happy. You want that wind at your back but you are clipping a wing of the party. Good luck flying.

Is it more about destroying Palin then beating Obmna with these people? It’s personal. They really do hate her more then Obama.

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM

She’s a decent stand-in for the TEA Party as a whole and they fear the TEA Party much more than they do the Dems. The Dems can beat them in an election or two, but the TEA Party and Conservatives can completely replace the GOP. This is a war of survival for them and the TEA Party is the real competition.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM

LOL…if you don’t make auricular confession that Mitt is the Prophet destined to lead us to the Promised Land, you are anathema and probably an O-bot Moby too!!! Filthy commie!!!

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Yeah. I think the speakers at the Republican National Convention should be enthusiastically endorsing the Republican nominee being named at the convention, and if they don’t intend to, if they perhaps intend to take a swipe at him and make THAT the news story of the convention, I think they should not be invited to speak, and that makes me…a Moby. Sure thing, fella.

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

So how do yo know that Christie isn’t secretly only 72% on board?

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

At his size, 72% is a whole lot. LOL.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

It all got dropped when it failed to catch on, just like the whole Romney=Reagan thing.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

That was just pathetic. The Democrats tried to run with that as well claiming that Obama was sorta like Reagan and it was just as laughable. The Mittbots still try to push that on occasion but it rarely goes anywhere.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Oh come on now, be fair. Even McCain hasn’t “Enthusiastically” endorsed Mittens. No one has. Most of the speeches at the Convention probably won’t spend much time on him anyway, what is there to say? Vote for Mr. Lib, cause he’s not Mr. Super-Lib? At best they’ll all try to work in his name once or twice, then say conservative a lot. And after the polite golf-clapping dies down, they’ll move on to their actual topic. No one is voting in November because their enthusiastic about Romney, their all ABO. That’s it.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM

At his size, 72% is a whole lot. LOL.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

LOL, true, but Rational here says one must believe with one’s whole being. I think Bachmann is probably only a 63%er myself, but I’ll bet she speaks.

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I’d definitely argue that any Mittbot making the claim that the GOP base is a bunch of anti-Mormon bigots or that Romney is the New Reagan, is absolutely a paid shill for the Romney Campaign.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

If he really does pick Jindal, then his own Veep won’t even be a 50%, maybe 20% at best. He’s a Perry guy, after all.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Okay so I was curious as to when speakers’ lists are usually confirmed and released. I did find that the 2008 list was released on August 20th and the convention started on Sept.1. As I recall it was about the same for 2004.
This year’s convention starts Aug.27 so I guess the list will come out about 10 days ahead of that. So we still have…hmm..at least 3 maybe more weeks before the list, based on last convention, would be released. Seems like we are wasting our time with speculation and falling for media spin.

Deanna on July 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Deanna on July 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

The lists aren’t compiled the day they are released. That’s what everyone else is talking about. The only spin here is coming from the GOP, trying to cover for their snubbing of Palin and conservatives everywhere.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Amjean on July 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Those are great points, and I agree.

I also think that although no one may have officially been invited to speak at the RNC, it’s ridiculous to think that planning isn’t well along, including major speakers.

I’ve helped to plan church retreats and not only was the main speaker invited well in advance, but topics and speakers for small afternoon groups were planned well in advance. This convention happens once every four years.

I don’t believe for a minute that things haven’t been mapped out.

INC on July 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

This is a war of survival for them and the TEA Party is the real competition.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM

It would be a disaster for the Republican party to freeze out the TEA party. I never attended a political meet up in my post college life until the TEA party. Most of the excitement of 2010 was generated from TEA party activism.

But they will get Demint as the TEA party stand in. I think the antipathy to Palin is something deeper. It doesn’t seem tactical to me. It’s emotional.

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Yeah, they can. Make a few phone calls and hop on a plane on a moment’s notice, we all do that If the job requires it or a short vacay opportunity presents itself.

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I guess they write the convention speech they are going to give on the plane as well? Do you honestly believe that you can organize thousands of people, hundreds of assistants, secretaries, spokesmen, family members can all be magically ready with a few phone calls? They all have to have hotel rooms, food, speeches, time slots, make up artists, etc.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM

You’d be surprised… I worked in PR, marketing, communication and special events organizing (large scale events, business conventions, intl medical congresses, etc) and the answer is yes, you can organize big events on large scale in a short amount of time, and most of the tiime you don’t have a choice, I am talking from an organize ‘s perspective….just for your info, most of it it’s work in progress until the last moment, people, speakers, attendees cancel or change their minds about time slots or attendance/participation, or about presentations (change pp slides, etc) , speeches, all the time, a lot of them are big shots or prominent personalities in their field and it’s assumed that some would act like prima donas and divas, and that there would be drama, but it’s something that you can work around most of the time, and make sure everybody’s happy…bottom line you are always prepared to re-work the schedule,, change, improvise, on a moment’s notice, put in place plan B…you just have to have contingency plans in this line of work, the rest you can work it out as you go, till the day/s of the big event…

As for the convention speeches, come on, they recycle old speeches, it’s not like you are going to hear anything new or groudbreaking from any of them, so yeah, it can be prolly done on the plane by some of their staff :)…but aside this all, you are a bit disingenuous there, I was responding to a post that made an entirely different argument, yours makes sense anyways…The other post was implying that all these politicians, con artists etc need to ask their ‘bosses’ for time off to be present a the convention, that is hilarious to boot…or that hey have to arrange for baby sitting, seriously, they would have a problem with that?? :) suffice to calculate the average of the republican politcian’s age and you’d see hat the baby sitting is not really an issue :)..Also nowadays they don’t need to take all heir staff with them, the staff can stay behind and feed them via email, teleconference, etc, all the info and materials they need…Strangely none of the posts have mentioned how rich some of these people are, and that they can get on or arrange to get on private jets and get to the convention in the last moment if the case, so yesh, somehow I am not too worried rhat they would not manage to make the arrangements to be there, even on short notice :)… And Palin can do it too…

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

You, me and everyone else on this planet knows the real reason why Palin will never get a speaking spot…….1976.

There’s no way in heck that Mitt and the gope will ever have the delegates thinking they nominated the wrong person.

tencole on July 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

And you know all this how exactly? Did it ever occur to you that Palin may have been clever enough not to confirm, since she knew from past experience the lists weren’t released this early? She did joke about it by referring to Sadie Hawkins and I didn’t see her being angry as some imply here. And has Christie confirmed that rumor?
I sill say it’s media spin because they hate Palin and want to start something…which from these threads it looks like they were successful.

Deanna on July 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM

tencole on July 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Ha! I was thinking of 1976 yesterday.

INC on July 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Are we going to have a daily Palin thread from now until the convention?

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Palin will be invited to speak if she is willing to espouse certain parts of the party line, and of course to endorse the nominee. If she can’t endorse Romney, she won’t get a slot.

I would argue that Palin has also lost some of her star power for the very reason that she is not in govt – she holds no elected office. The tea party realizes they now need to get bodies inside the GOP to carry their message. Palin will never be that. She will always be a favorite, and will be good on the stump, but she chose the celebrity route and hass done quite well by it. Her usefulness to the Tea Party has faded somewhat.

Zomcon JEM on July 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Yeah, they’re coming on a little bit, over personalizing Palin criticisms, the usual. Whatever. I like Sarah Palin. I’ve seen her speak several times, have traveled some pretty long distances to do so. But I’m no cultist — and Palin is no longer a candidate seeking my vote. She’s an entertainer — a conservative entertainer, to be sure — but an entertainer nonetheless. And she’s good at it. And the before-the-camera role she has claimed for herself rather consistently since 2008 is as the aggrieved, out-spoken conservative who “challenges” the establishment. Fine. But this isn’t about Palin anymore. We’ve got a candidate, and by God I want him to kick barack senseless in November. If Palin can’t get on board with that, then she doesn’t belong at the convention.

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Looks like I am reduced to entirely agreeing with you there :)…you got the perfectly adequate handle, btw :)…

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Well, she is a woman. That might really explain a lot of it. Also, she has a history of attacking corrupt Repubs in Alaska, that might very well have angered the GOP establishment.

But really, at least for the past few years now, the GOP Rinos have been just awful towards Female Republicans, especially those that had strong conservative support. First Palin, then Bachmann, there were attacks against Malkin, O’Donnell, Angle, and numerous other women during the 2010 mid-terms; maybe it really is mostly about gender with these people?

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

tencole on July 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

+1000

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I think that it’s more their policies, opinions and their speaking ability (I haven’t heard O’Donnell or Angle speak, and I’ll exclude them) than their sex. As a woman, I can say that!! :-)

INC on July 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

tencole on July 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

On that note, if she doesn’t get a slot at the rino-con, Palin should definitely give her own speech at her real convention, and show what a real conservative nominee would sound like.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Oh, yeahm he’s well on the road of doing just that. When he stated that “Papa John built Papa John’s pizza…”, between the 2 morons its clear both can only survive with Teleprompters.

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Amjean on July 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I, admittedly, don’t watch FoxNews much, anymore. But, when I did, it seemed to me that both Palin and Bachmann were the only Republicans on television, with the testicular fortitude to call Zero and his ilk, Socialists.

Kinda ironic, huh?

OhEssYouCowboys on July 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM

They don’t even need to ‘write’ it :), I mean their staff do, but they recycle old speeces normally ..besides, in this day and age they can get it all spelled out in their ear (via ear phones) by a staff member, in real time, and they can just ‘recite’ it all at he convention :)…Kinda like the Teleprompter, only directly into their ear :)… the upside is nobody will have to know :), unless there’s a malfunction in the ear phones :).. just kidding, of course…

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

She’ll be there, obviously, but I don’t think she’ll do anything that would be seen as competition or trying to split the GOP. She wants Obama gone.

INC on July 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM

INC on July 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

And it may also be that this only looks like a bias against women, when it really is just about policy/opinions, because lately it has been the women in the party that have been shown to have any real passion for fighting the dems and pushing for reduced spending/government cuts. Maybe if more men were actually fighting back, they’d be getting attacked too.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

This may be the way to go, anyway. Its tiring to hear GOP tell conservatives, “Next time…”, election after election. We either make a clear brake or face same old, same old, until the next election, and then next one, an don and on and on…

I am sure Adelson and Co. will happily sponsor the effort leaving RNC/GOP with little money support and face extinction.

It doesn’t matter if Romney wins in November, HusseinCare will stand, trillion dollar deficits will continue (numbers genius Ryan will cut a “huge” $400B out leaving us only with a measly TRILLION dollar deficit per year), government subsidies and programs will stay, etc, etc, etc.

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

There is that element. Men who aren’t sure of themselves and catty women do seem to get easily upset over Palin. And you have a point, she was the first ever female GOP VP candidate; historical to say the least. Cutting her out of the convention would be quite a trick.

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM

We should have a poll on this: Who really believes that Priebus doesn’t already know who will be speaking at the rino Convention?

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It is emotional.

First, who do we despise more, Benedict Arnold or King George III? Obama’s the enemy, but Palin (and by extension the whole Tea party) is a “filthy traitor” in the eyes of the elites.

Second, Ace a few months ago wrote a great essay on the American aristocracy. Palin’s a stand-in for everything the people described in Ace’s post dislike – the accent, the large family, the common-sense middle class values, the unabashed Christianity (this is the reason the Tea party is often falsely smeared as a so-con conspiracy), and of course the economic conservatism.

Essentially, she’s a “hate icon” for the entire Tea Party movement. The Democrats are their political opponents, but are at least part of the elite class the so-called “mainstream” Republican leadership comes from. If Palin wasn’t available to hate, it would be someone else.

Doomberg on July 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

He’s lying through his teeth. Put me down on record.

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:13 PM

The problem is we’re nearing the end of that road, and the conservative base is figuring that out too. If Romney fails to deliver after winning in November (and it’s virtually a certainty he will), I think the Republican Party will probably collapse.

Doomberg on July 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Kinda like the attacks by the ‘trie cons’ against ‘RINO’ women such as Ann Coulter, Carly Fiorina, Meg Whitman, Condy RIce, Peggy Noonan, Jennifer Rubin, Kathleen Parker, yes, maybe it is indeed about gender with these people :)…

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM

It definitely opens Mittens up to more attacks by the Dems, even if they don’t attack him directly. Just an endless barrage of news stories about how the GOP won’t let the most notable female republican speak at their convention. And really, if Obama wants to win in November, he’d be much better off pointing out the growing rift between Romney and the Rino contingent, and the conservative base. A Romney snubs Palin story would do that pretty easily.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

True cons that is…

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Here is the guys that should be speaking at the convention, I am glad to hear invitations haven’t gone out yet, still hoping he gets that invite. Nick is AWESOME, always clear and straight from the heart. Have a look:

JusDreamin on July 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

At the moment I’d love to know what scrambling is going on behind the scenes about handling this.

INC on July 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I’m not sure what a Trie Con is, but whatever. Trixie?

Anyway, those women are all liberals, and have been pointed out as such. No one conservative has attacked them for defending themselves from claims of being a mass murderer, and god knows Rice as been called that more than once by the dems. The Rinos have actively tried to undermine the election of O’donnell and Angle, and other women supported by conservatives. The conservatives never tried to destroy Fiorina or Whitman, after they had won their primaries. So you don’t really have a point.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Noonan endorsed Obama.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM

They don’t even need to ‘write’ it

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Sorry, not buying it.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

True cons that is…

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. I was thinking some sort of weird, anti-Dixie thing. :)

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I’m proud to be a TrueCon™, considering that the opposite of true is false.

INC on July 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

INC on July 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I’m sure there will be a book all about it. And probably another made-for-cable movie about how it was all secretly Palin’s fault. Written by one of Romney’s campaign staff. And an anonymous source who likes trees way too much.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Noonan endorsed Obama.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Didn’t Rice vote for him too?

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM

jimver on July 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

You shouldn’t put RINO in quotes when you list the names above. They ARE RINO, by every definition of the word. Hope you didn’t buy a bridge from any. They are what they are. Coulter and Rice, in particular. Former for flip flopping on Romney and doing all she can to force this squichy, self admitted progressive liberal with record to prove it as “the only conservative” candidate GOP has, big time, latter for “…I am voting for CHANGE…” in the 2008 General. McCain wasn’t the CHANGE last time I checked. She is as racist as they get (not that Powell was far behind).

And be clear as well on the form of the attacks. Can you remind me how vicious were attacks on Palin and family when compared to “attacks” on the RINOs? Truly insane to even attempt to put them on same level.

RINOs never seem to understand that it is not what they think they should be called, its how and what they DO that matters. Thanks for playing…

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Here is a dose of rationality for you:

Palin is loathed and feared by the Romney and the Republican establishment for the same reasons she is loved by her supporters. They know they are but one step above Democrats on the Tea Party shit list. They know Tea Party principles put into action will derail the gravy train they all hope to climb aboard come November. Romney clearly viewed her as the biggest threat to his nomination this time around, and he has brought on staff a bevy of Palin haters. And Romney rightly fears she will completely overshadow him at his own coronation. (see tencole on July 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM).

Palin knows perfectly well these people are not her friends. But she has consistently said she will support the nominee and do whatever she can to help defeat Obama. No reason to go further at this point and relinquish any leverage she may have to influence the platform by speaking out for conservative principles at the convention.

If Romney and the establishment Republicans at the RNC cut her out they will alienate the most motivated segment of the base. Do you honestly believe Palin and her supporters won’t notice being slapped in the face? It would be a very stupid move in what may be a very close election. Needless to say, I don’t for a second put that degree of stupidity past them.

I’ll vote for Romney even if he and the RNC spit on the conservative wing of the party ONLY because the alternative is a barely-closeted Marxist fraud that has done a tremendous amount of damage to our country already. But it is very likely that many others will sit on their hands come November if these idiots are stupid enough to do what it appears they intend to do. The consequences could be disastrous.

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Didn’t Rice vote for him too?

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Absolutely YES. As she stated at the time, I am voting for change.

Boggles the mind that not only GOP decided to field a progressive liberal flip flopper, but then had the balls to even discuss another liberal and racist in hiding as a possible VP choice.

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I’m proud to be a TrueCon™, considering that the opposite of true is false.

INC on July 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM

It still seems odd to me, how the people that attack conservatism are always Romney supporters.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM

She’s the VP candidate from the last election. Not inviting her is sending a message and making waves. Inviting her would be a no drama, normal decisions.

BoxHead1 on July 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Never mind that she’s the one and only Female GOP VP nominee. The dems would make hay over her not getting invited. It just plays right back into that “War on Women” meme they’ve been building.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Don’t know if that’s just a given. If it is, it means that Johnnny Mac gets a big slot too, and who here wants that?

She should get a slot, but I don’t think it means that much. There are several days and plenty of prime slots to go around. A hearty endorsement for Governor Romney helps.

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Why? A progressive liberal can only lead like minded people, no?

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

If I had a real reason to trust that the GOP congress and Romney would actually try to shrink the government or cut spending or repeal Obamacare, I’d be willing to vote for them, but at this point doing so just seems like rewarding the GOP for continuing to enable the liberals.

2008 was the last straw; things need to start changing in the Republican Party and Romney/Boehner/McConnell are all just a step in the wrong direction.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Why should Palin be more enthusiastic than anyone else? Even most of the Rinos wanted Christie instead. Or Daniels. Most still do, quite frankly.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM

The Quick Response Team at work. Barely getting it done.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

More Bonding? Go Team!!!

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Of course he knows who will be speaking but why should he unveil it now just because there has been speculation on the part of some? This convention has to be in stark contrast to the DNC’s. Since Pelosi has all but told her group not to attend their convention, the Republican convention should be filled with enthusiasm. Disclosing the speakers and agenda this soon only serves to throw red meat at the media and lessen any kind of hype.

sherry on July 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Sis Boom Bah.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

the Republican convention should be filled with enthusiasm.

sherry on July 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I thought Romney was going to be there?

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Say, sherry, do you think Romney is the new Reagan, by any chance?

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Sherry…if he knew…then, why did he lie?

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM

They shouldn’t invite the incompetent, divisive Quitter Queen Sarah Palin. That woman is a laughing stock and cares about her own brand more than helping Romney or defeating Obama. Conservatives, like everyone else, have had it with Paris “I want attention” Palin’s constant efforts to extend her 15 minutes of fame. One of the most unpopular and universally mocked figures in the nation whose most memorable act during her public career was to resign in disgrace as governor before even finishing a single term, she’s the absolute worst person to hold up as the face of conservatism and the Republican Party.

Palin is more trouble than she is worth! It’s no wonder that the Obama supporters are the people most interested in Sarah Palin appearing at the convention.

We should be looking forward, not backwards at the 2008 disaster. For the good of the country and good of the party, Palin should announce that she isn’t planning to attend the convention and is instead going to use that time to fundraise for one of the anti-Obama super PAC’s, for example. Sadly, though, Queen Quitter Sarah Palin feeds off a divided Republican Party and loves any chance to play the victim. Too bad for her the people have moved on and don’t her seriously anymore.

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!! I just new you’d show up eventually! How are things in RomneyHQ right now? Peachy? Lots of AC I hope, it’s broiling here in Missouri, though it has finally started to rain so it might get better soon.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Anyone who can get that worked up over him should investigate getting a life.

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Well, it was fun and all, but alas, I have to get to work. See ya all later, hopefully there will be another Palin thread tomorrow.

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Amjean on July 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

A+ post.

SparkPlug on July 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Stench of rotting fish getting you down. No problem. Wolly World perfume might be your answer. “So sexy for you”, at about four bucks a bottle, guaranteed to cover up that stench of rotting fish. Buy a bottle for someone you know today! HeIIfire buy a case! Cause if that stench don’t go away, You’ll use that whole case, you’ll thank me later. Trust me.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Bluegill is a FalseCon

I’m a TruCon.

SparkPlug on July 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 4:11 PM

*clink*

SparkPlug on July 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM

*clink!*

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Priebus seems like a nice guy, but I don’t know that that’s what we need right now.

J.E. Dyer on July 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Relax folks.

I think this was a story intentionally planted by Democrats in an attempt to turn the conservative base against Romney.

It would be stupid and suicidal to snub Sarah Palin and thereby piss off a large portion of the base.

TarheelBen on July 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Anyone who can get that worked up over him should investigate getting a life.

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hey, bitter Katherine, sorry you’re still upset about the primary season and how you were so wrong and out-of-step with conservatives who now solidly and enthusiastically support Romney. Maybe you should get a hobby other than attacking people who are fired up about this election!

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

What Priebus says here is a pack of lies.

It’s has in fact been confirmed that Mitt Romney will be speaking at the convention!

Gingotts on July 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Fancy that. The GOP candidate for President will speak at the GOP convention. Thank Christ we have you to remove the wool that Priebus so deftly pulled over our eyes!

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Hey, Gilchrist from the ad released today is on Cavuto NOW.

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Rational Thought on July 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Anyone who can get that worked up over him should investigate getting a life.
katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Anyone who refuses to endorse a party’s candidate and who still expects an invitation to the party’s convention, much less a prime speaking spot, is going to be mighty disappointed.

whatcat on July 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Quitter Queen Sarah Palin.

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Yet another commenter on a conservative website resorting to liberal attacks.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Lives are now on sale at Walmart. Internet only, store pickup is dree.

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

TarheelBen on July 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I doubt it. I think you overestimate Palin’s popularity among conservatives. She squandered a lot of support since 2008, with her disgraceful resignation from office and the embarrassing way she conducted herself during the “will she? won’t she?” lead up to the primary season. These days conservatives support her and will usually try to be polite when speaking about her in public, but only up to a point. We are sick of having to make excuses for her continued incompetence, though. I think A LOT of conservatives would privately applaud a move to focus on other, more impressive conservative speakers at the convention… and to leave the incompetent, self-promoting, and unpopular Palin to do whatever she does on Facebook (where others apparently write her posts) and on cable news where she “analyzes” the news but never says anything intelligent or worthwhile.

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

k

aty the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM

ZING!

Yet another commenter on a conservative website resorting to liberal attacks.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Par for the course with this one.

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Interesting fact of the day: bluegill is an anagram of gullible.

steebo77 on July 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

whatcat on July 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Looks like I’ll have to give ComaFest 2012 a pass.

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM

her disgraceful resignation from office

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

There was no disgrace about it, muppet. All of the investigations that put her in such a position that she was unable to carry out her duties as governor came out in her favor after her resignation.

You’re nothing more than another slime-slinging elitist that knows nothing more about Sarah Palin than what Chris Matthews has told you.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM

bluegill, just because you say it, doesn’t make it a fact.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM

steebo77 on July 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

There are many synonyms that decorum demands remain unlisted.

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Quitter Queen Sarah Palin.

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Yet another commenter on a conservative website resorting to liberal attacks.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

It’s not a “conservative” thing to blindly defend a quitter and to engage in a kneejerk tendency to make excuses for incompetence. Anyone with two eyes and ears can see that Palin isn’t exactly one of our brightest conservative lights. Give me a Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio or Michele Bachmann any day over the attention-seeking incompetent Queen Quitter Palin!

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Interesting fact of the day: bluegill is an anagram of gullible.

steebo77 on July 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Very smart of you. I wish I had figured that out.

SparkPlug on July 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Kid, if you are a conservative, I am Joan of Arc.

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM

It’s not a “conservative” thing to blindly defend a quitter…

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Neither is it conservative to blindly attack a conservative icon with liberal talking points, like the one above I already debunked. What’s next? Tell us she didn’t know Africa was a continent.

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Palin has not endorsed Romney. She is shrills ‘ABO’, and I’ve heard her grudging say his name once.

Why remind Independents why they voted for Obama?

This woman is loathed by a huge majority of Independents. Despised by all Democrats and is not especially loved by Republicans

Other words..Palin is poison. And again she gets attention by her remarks in Newsweek. Why doesn’t she spend the 24 million she made when RNC tapped her 08?

Redford on July 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Perfume anyone?

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM

katy the mean old lady on July 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Good to see you back (and in fine form).

wolfsDad on July 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I think it is YOU that are in the minority here. You sound like a Daily Kos poster.

TarheelBen on July 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Only $20 bucks a bottle. Supplies limited.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Redford on July 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM

No fair Bluegill, if I can’t have two accounts, neither should you!

Buckshot Bill on July 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM

It’s not a “conservative” thing to blindly defend a quitter…
bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM

MadisonConservative on July 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM

The problem with that comparison is one assertion is an objective historical fact – i.e. she did quit her job.

whatcat on July 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM