Priebus: No one’s been invited to speak at the GOP convention yet

posted at 12:01 pm on July 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Has Sarah Palin been snubbed by the RNC?  Did Chris Christie get inked into the keynote slot to start the Republican convention?  Hold your horses, GOP chair Reince Priebus told Chris Stigall on CBS radio in Philadelphia this morning.  As of right now, no one’s been invited to do anything — and the schedule won’t even begin to be addressed for another two or three weeks:

STIGALL: How much of that convention are you involved with, and who calls the shots?  And the reason I ask is, there’s this big deal right now about whether Sarah Palin’s been invited by Mitt Romney to speak, that Chris Christie — we haven’t talked about that yet this morning — has been named keynote on Tuesday to speak.  Can you talk about people speaking, who’s invited, who’s not, who’s in charge?  How’s that work?

PRIEBUS: [laughs] Well, I can tell you how that works.  I mean, it’s generally a very cooperative effort between the RNC and Mitt Romney. So, between their campaign and us, most things are like a 50/50 marriage.  I mean, that’s how I would describe decisions at the convention.  There’s also another component, which is the host committee in Tampa.  So both conventions have a group of people who are charged with the responsibility of raising all the money in a 501(c)3 charitable organization that actually raises the money so that the conventions can be put on.  We actually are charged with spending the money, and then we put on the program and all of the other things that you see  at the convention.  Those decisions of programming and putting all of these things together — they’re generally made by both entities.

And so, to your question now, there is no program set by us or the Romney team.  So most of these things you hear — although these are great people you’re referring to — all these things are just rumors.  I mean, there’s just no truth to the fact that people are getting phone calls and being invited to speak right now, because the program isn’t set.  So, when you guys hear things like that, you can generally assume that it’s just talk, and there still is time for –

STIGALL: So you cannot — so you’re saying that it is not confirmed that Chris Christie is the keynote speaker of this convention?

PRIEBUS: No, I don’t think anything’s confirmed right now.  I think that’s just rumor.  Now, I mean, Chris Christie is a key guy, but I can’t tell you that there’s a confirmation that he’s speaking on Tuesday night.  I think these are decisions that, you know, us and Team Romney are going to be making over the next few weeks.

STIGALL: On that, then there’s also no truth to “Sarah Palin is not welcome at the convention”?

PRIEBUS: Of course not!

STIGALL: Okay. Do you anticipate she’ll be there, if you were to guess?

PRIEBUS: You know, I have no idea.  I have no idea based on the schedule, based on what’s going on on programming.  I just don’t know what to tell you about it, other than it’s pretty early.  I mean, these are not — these are things that people will start making final decisions on probably, you know, in the second week of August.

In other words, if your favorite politico hasn’t received a speaking slot yet … relax.

Update: Also, as a reminder, Rick Santorum — who will certainly be given a speaking slot — told ABC this week that he hadn’t received his invitation, either.  Consider that another data point in the argument that nothing has yet been decided.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Palin…

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Then why is all this information about Palin, and about Christie, being floated around like it was Gospel?

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Media trying to stir up dissension within Republican ranks. What a surprise!!

rockmom on July 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Oh, so it was just something to rile up everyone, get the trolls all worked up, get the catty and jealous involved and up the hit count.

Okay, fair enough.

kim roy on July 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

OK, maybe this is crazy, but I think they should invite Barack Obama’s cousin, Dr. Milton Wolf.

22044 on July 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!…now you tell me!

KOOLAID2 on July 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

kim roy on July 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Yeah, I think I saw AP walking around a few days ago with a big bag with a huge $ sign painted on it. Big grin on his face.

22044 on July 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Because there is nothing much going on at the moment and nature abhors a vacuum, hence the endless speculation and indignation.

Rufus on July 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Well that explains why I haven’t gotten called yet.

CurtZHP on July 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

There is now way at this point that people have not at least been asked to keep their schedules clear for that week. It’s far too late for that to not have happened.

Party hacks from both sides think we are quite dumb, and wait breathless for their pronouncements from on high.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Sesame Street soundtrack: “One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is not the same…”

Ed, you’re a stand-up guy. But, if you believe folks aren’t reaching out, having preliminary conversations about who’s speaking, what order, etc. but are waiting until 2-3 weeks before the gavel falls on Aug. 27 to start making those decisions…

Could I interest you in a lovely bridge? It’s on sale, this week only…

cs89 on July 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Other than me?

Bishop on July 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Will they invite Michelle Bachman?
Maybe they’ll avoid her the way Ed & HA are avoiding the Bachmann/Huma Abedin story…and John McCain’s and Ed Rollins’ take-down of the congresswoman.

verbaluce on July 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Because more people than the agenda setters have an agenda.

Mr. D on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The original story about Palin came from Newsweek. My take? Planted to cause chaos and divide within the Republican party. Judging by the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday Palin threads and what I’ve seen on Twitter, it worked.

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Well, HA sure has reaped the traffic benefits of this BS this week that’s for sure.

Palin rumors and made up stories will do that you know. Been going on for 4 years….

Thanks for the update Ed.

davek70 on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Rufus on July 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Or, maybe there’s been too much blowback, and the Northeast Republican’s Club is ducking and covering.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

So the Palin articles here have been nothing but shameless hit-whoring using HA’s least favorite politician? Imagine that.

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

This sounds more like an excuse for a do-over than the actual truth.

Norwegian on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

OK then. So the liberal media teed up the same old football and the Charlie Browns fell on their bitter butts again.

rhombus on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Pretty much…

davek70 on July 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’m 53, and I’ve never watched a convention. It means about as much to me as bowling, on ESPN.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Well, that and giving a young kid a chance to post…not that there’s anything wrong with that:)

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

That should put an end to the high school gossip about speakers… for about fifteen minutes.

lexhamfox on July 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

22044 on July 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Or Obama’s brother that lives in a shack.

faraway on July 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Sounds like a leak and gauge reaction approach to me.

Dash on July 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Lying sack of sh*t!!!! Of course, they know who is speaking
for the most part, what about the fat cat, Christie? They know,
they might not have finalized the order, etc., however, they know.

One has to be pretty dumb to fall for his CYA.

Jim Demint said on Greta last evening that he would love
for Sarah Palin to have a speaking slot at the convention as
she is the one who brings the most energy, etc.

They ignored Palin; they thought if they ignored her she would
just go away. Not going to happen folks.

I dare say that Palin may have outfoxed them! She will be there.
For many of us she would be the only reason to even watch.

Amjean on July 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

And if we hadn’t written about it, we would have been flooded with e-mails accusing us of ignoring the RNC’s supposed snub to Palin because we were covering up for the Establishment, and had off-topic comments in other threads demanding we address it.

I suggest you go back and read my first post about this — when I wrote that this was probably a nothingburger and that invitations probably hadn’t yet gone out. Looks like I was right.

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Man, these guys really are in no rush to organize this thing. I mean I like a laid back attitude, but….

Dongemaharu on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

22044 on July 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Was that who that was?? ;)

Actually, AP has been off for a while. It was Ed and a new guy.

kim roy on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Oh, Lord!
(The conspiracy has a conspiracy!)

RedCrow on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Hilarious. Does anyone doubt these remarks by Priebus are in response to the blowtorch hot reaction to the suggestion that Romney’s crew of establishment Republicans, including many Palin haters, was going to try to cut her out of the convention?

I’m sure they will do everything in their power to minimize her role, but they just got a little taste of what will happen if they openly disrespect her and try to sideline her.

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on July 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Someone posting on a political website has never watched a convention? I’m amazed. Did you just come out of a comma?

rhombus on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Or Obama’s brother that lives in a shack.

faraway on July 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

It would be cheaper to bring BO’s illegal, resident aliens like Auntie Z or the drunk uncle who works in a liquor store. They’re right here!

Cody1991 on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Will they invite Michelle Bachman?

verbaluce on July 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Hadn’t heard about that. What happened?

changer1701 on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

So?

Dongemaharu on July 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Hmmmmm……I cry male bovine excrement……

Polarbearpapa on July 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Man O Man you got that right, Ed.

rhombus on July 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

The ultimate in catch-22.

RedCrow on July 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

PRIEBUS: You know, I have no idea. I have no idea based on the schedule, based on what’s going on on programming. I just don’t know what to tell you about it, other than it’s pretty early. I mean, these are not — these are things that people will start making final decisions on probably, you know, in the second week of August.

I highlighted the relevant relevance, Morrissey.

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Planted story or self promotion is there really a difference?

meci on July 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Boo-hoo, I’m tearing up.

faraway on July 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This. ANd I’ve no doubt thay have all kinds of stuff waiting in the wings to “be leaked”.

BettyRuth on July 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

or the drunk uncle who works in a liquor store. They’re right here!

Cody1991 on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

The uncle could drive his car right into the convention since Massachusetts just gave him his drivers license back.

rhombus on July 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Damned if ya do, and damned if ya don’t. Just keep on doing what you’re doing, Ed. If folks don’t like the Palin posts, they can ignore them. Or go elsewhere. The massive comment counts mean members are interested, and that is good. And I say that as someone who generally stays out of the comments to those articles, which are at this point pretty repetitive and throw a lot more heat than light on the subject.

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I do seem to remember the word nothingburger.

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

A phone call to Priebus back then could have cleared that up and made some actual news.

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Oh, Lord!
(The conspiracy has a conspiracy!)

RedCrow on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Alert the media…oh wait

workingclass artist on July 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Palin was mistreated by her own in the McCain campaign, no doubt. She was brutalized by the media (and the entire left, in general), no doubt.

Honestly, I don’t see this hatred for her on the right that all you guys have been going on and on about all week.

Honestly–I don’t see it.

RedCrow on July 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

BettyRuth on July 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Slo Joe Biteme has plugs.

VegasRick on July 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hadn’t heard about that. What happened?

changer1701 on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Google ‘Bachmann, Huma Abedin’

verbaluce on July 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

When I was a kid, I learned that when you got a free meal from someone, you didn’t complain about the cooking.

CurtZHP on July 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Why did it take him all week to say this?

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Lolz! All that hysteria in the Palin threads this week for naught…

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Well, I can tell you all that I won’t be speaking at the Convention.

The applause and cheering may now commence.

trigon on July 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

CurtZHP on July 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Touche.

RedCrow on July 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

RELAX? RELAX?

This only shows how incompetent RNC really is!

It’s already past mid July AND NO ONE HAS BEEN INVITED YET?

Of course, INNER CIRCLES OF THE GOP-E AND ROMNEY DON’T NEED INVITATION!

Good job on spinning, Mr. Prebius! And Poor job for not reading between the lines, Mr. Ed Morrissey!

How I miss the wisdom of Michelle M. here at HA!

TheAlamos on July 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

rhombus on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Better a comma than a colon.

Mr. D on July 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Because the MSM would rather talk about anything else besides Obama’s dismal record of failure?

cthulhu on July 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

True.
But at least you don’t have to worry about too many folks upset by HA avoiding the Bachmann ‘Muslim infiltrators’ story.

verbaluce on July 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Why did it take him all week to say this?

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I guess nobody asked him.

Dongemaharu on July 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

rhombus on July 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yes, that’s it, I’ve been in a coma.

I should, indeed, watch a bunch of political pigs in perpetuity vomiting up their platitudes and lies about freedom, independence and the power of The People, all while those very same political pigs in perpetuity are complicit in the expansion of the State.

I’ve missed so much.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Ed Morrissey on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I like you, Ed, and I like Preibus (MUCH better at his job than his predecessor, it appears). However, for anybody who knows anything about PR, leadership, organizational damage control…

Let’s just say I’m skeptical that the “official narrative” being pushed about “no invitations have gone out,” etc. (implying that no one has any idea who will or will not be speaking just over a month from now) is an exact representation of reality…

cs89 on July 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Why did it take him all week to say this?

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

hmmmmm

The GOP sux?

faraway on July 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Dongemaharu on July 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

o_O

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Kudos to all you goofnuts who spent 3 days arguing amongst yourselves for absolutely nothing.

Well done/

JPeterman on July 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

CurtZHP on July 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

*uptwinkles*

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

In other words, if a $2 media business says your favorite pol has been slighted, there’s a reason it’s a $2 media business.

Dusty on July 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Spot on Flora.

WisRich on July 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Was that who that was?? ;)

Actually, AP has been off for a while. It was Ed and a new guy.

kim roy on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Ha – I sit corrected now. Maybe I need new specs!

22044 on July 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Yep. It sure did work…

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Dusty on July 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I can’t let this lie go unchallenged. Newsweek sold for $1.

faraway on July 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM

The GOP employs a team of people who began starting work on planning this convention nearly 4 years ago.

Obviously, they haven’t published the schedule yet, and until it’s public it’s not final, per se.

However, they’ve obviously started developing a schedule and have made preliminary speaking assignments. They’ve also reached out and given a heads-up to folks they would like to speak. A lot of preparation goes into contemporary national political convention speeches.

Robert_Paulson on July 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Cause chaos, or just shine a light on the rift that’s been there for years?

Dongemaharu on July 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Cause chaos, or just shine a light on the rift that’s been there for years?

Dongemaharu on July 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

The Dem party has been taken over by radical leftists. There are very few Blue Dogs left.

The GOP is being taken over (slowly) by the Tea Party.

So, big changes are afoot. Expect fireworks.

faraway on July 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

PRIEBUS: You know, I have no idea.  I have no idea based on the schedule, based on what’s going on on programming. -

very contradicting – you just said that there was no schedule

journeymike on July 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Well I thought the Palin threads were fun. Nothing wrong with keeping it lively.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Yes, that’s it, I’ve been in a coma.

I’ve missed so much.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Great entertainment. Try it and see how close your guesses come. Zell Miller’s speech in ’04 about defending the country with spit balls was great. Meanwhile, when Kerry “reported for dootie”, I nearly split a gut laughing.

rhombus on July 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Sarah, Inc.

Our motto? Bring it.

wolfsDad on July 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

CurtZHP on July 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Especially in their house! What is the world coming to? It’s like we’ve all been raised in a barn.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

reminds me of that Crystal Gayle tune; “Your Nobody Called Today”

ted c on July 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Or, we’re all in a bad mooood. :)

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I had no problem with Ed’s Palin posts.

Dustin Siggin’s post however was just ridiculous.

portlandon on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I can’t let this lie go unchallenged. Newsweek sold for $1.

[faraway on July 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM]

Yeah, but it merged with The Daily Beast and I’m feeling generous today.

Dusty on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Well it is hot and I know I get cranky when it’s too hot.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

portlandon on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Well it is hot and I know I get cranky when it’s too hot.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

It is obscenely, filthy miserable here…

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

We’re under a Heat Advisory.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

journeymike on July 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

of course there is a schedule of timeslots for speeches, but there isnt a schedule of who will be in what spot. not contradicting at all.

chasdal on July 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

PRIEBUS: You know, I have no idea. I have no idea based on the schedule, based on what’s going on on programming. -

very contradicting – you just said that there was no schedule

journeymike on July 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM

This is what I’m saying. I’m shrugging and holding up my hands. Head tilting is involved. No swearing or anything. Just saying.

lol — It would be terrible if my beloved SP gets her slot and then bakes it entirely. :)

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

This I’m also just saying. And how often do we get to use “nothingburger,” anyway?

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Yup.

the_nile on July 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Palin, West, Bachmann or I won’t watch! Christie? Not all that interested. Just my humble opinion……..

Vntnrse on July 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I stand by my first post in the original Palin piece:

This is pot stirring by the Media.

Palin/Romney better not get drawn into it.

portlandon on July 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

portlandon on July 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Flora, any ideas on who did the planting?

novaculus on July 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

We are suppose to get a break this weekend. It’s been hotter in VA than Florida. That’s just not right. I hope you get some relief soon.

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM

GLOBAL WARMING!! Or Summer.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Y’know, Bubba’s Administraton used to float stuff all the time, to see what the blowback would be, if they went ahead with it.

I’m just saying…

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

So true, it’s the little things in life.

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

93° here and it isn’t even noon yet…

OmahaConservative on July 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Cindy Munford on July 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yep. The Globe warms. The Globe cools. Isn’t God’s creation amazing?

kingsjester on July 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM

[OhEssYouCowboys on July 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM]

They’re not as good as they used to be.

Dusty on July 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM