ABC: No, Ann Romney didn’t say ‘you people’

posted at 9:21 pm on July 19, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Audio of an interview with Ann Romney on “Good Morning America” appears to exonerate her from a mini-scandal gleefully flogged by the Left today.

Asked on GMA about the Romneys’ tax returns, Romney replied, as reported by ABC:

“There are so many things that will be open again for more attack,” Ann Romney told ABC’s Robin Roberts on “Good Morning America” when asked about releasing tax returns. “And you just want to give more material for more attack. And that’s really — that’s just the answer.”

She added, “And we’ve given all our people need to know and understand about our financial situation and about how — you know, how we live our life.”

To some, it sounded like Romney said “And we’ve given all you people need to know and understand about our financial situation and about how — you know, how we live our life.”

As this was bubbling up online, I thought before watching the tape that it was a clumsy construction and one that would lend itself perfectly to the portrayal of the Romneys as out of touch. It didn’t sound in keeping with Ann Romney’s reputation for a good political ear and skill on the trail, but I figured she could have been just a little ticked about this and letting it show, referring to Democrats and the press as “you people” in a moment of pique. That moment was, of course, interpreted gladly as a reference to the American people by political adversaries.

ABC takes up the mini-scandal of the day and delivers its verdict:

Our ruling after reviewing the original audio is that she did not include the “you.”

New York Magazine rules for Ann Romney, too:

Sounds more like “We’ve given all [stumble] people need to know,” if you ask us. The letter y definitely makes an appearance in there, but the word you does not. Maybe Romney was going to say, “We’ve given all you need to know,” and decided at the last moment to replace “you” with “people.”

There is a pause and possibly a consonant in there before “people,” but it’s a stretch to call it “you” (certainly more debatable than this quote). You’d think if she were going to use “you people,” her body language and tone would be more annoyed.

Here’s the video. The sentence comes a little after two minutes:

Ultimately, when a moment is garbled like this, it’s an aural Rorschach. Those who think ill of Ann Romney will believe she said “you people” and those who don’t will give her the benefit of the doubt. The unclear pronoun “that” in Obama’s “you didn’t build that” is another example— those inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt think it refers to “roads” while those who aren’t think “business.” But Obama’s in-context remarks offer plenty of support for his doubters (that’s why the Romney campaign gladly used his remarks in context).

The Ann Romney audio’s damning content pretty much consists of a possibly partially uttered “y.” Liberals are welcome to take issue with her argument on the tax returns, but absent more compelling audio, it’s nice to see the “you people” accusation being debunked by media before it becomes part of political lore.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

thank g^d some brave blogger posted on this

james23 on July 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Huh?

rob verdi on July 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Is this real?

Is this all they got?

Run on your record Obama!!!

If you think it is so great..

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Well, the horse crapped on their heads, so they had to find something.

AllahsNippleHair on July 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Huh?

rob verdi on July 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

THIS^^^

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

They are scrutinizing this bit of film like the Zapruder film.

Yet the Fast & Furious scandal…..

Crickets

portlandon on July 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

MKH…..wow you sure are flexible!

All Hail YOUR Messiah.

dmann on July 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’m almost certain she said “crab people.”

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 9:27 PM

NAAYP

davidk on July 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

VP CHOICE AND TAX RETURNS

I don’t watch TV…
Is this Exclusive Media right now?

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM

ABC takes up the mini-scandal of the day and delivers its verdict:

Our ruling after reviewing the original audio is that she did not include the “you”. we got caught lying again

VorDaj on July 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Every time the left tries something like this, I hear that noise the Millenium Falcon made whenever it wouldn’t make the jump to light speed.

AubieJon on July 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Well at least we are not talking about the 40K more unemployment claims under this stellar 0bama recovery. Or the $6 trillion in new debt under the smartest president yet.

0bama is the destroyer.

jukin3 on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Sounds to me like she said ‘you people’, what I can’t understand is why anyone cares? I would assume that ‘you people’ mean the press and the Democrats. What do they think that might mean?

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thank goodness. Now maybe my Twitter stream will go back to just the everyday outrageous outrage the left usually demonstrates, instead of the outrageously outrageous outrage they have demonstrated today.

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t one of the symptoms of MS difficulty speaking.

terryannonline on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Is this real life?

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

AubieJon on July 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

“It’s not my fault!…” – Barrack “Han The Man” Obama

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

terryannonline on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Ask Neil Cavuto, he seems to be just great.

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Exactly. And the lying MSM “press” deserves to be called a whole lot worse than “you people” anyway.

VorDaj on July 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I am so FREAKIN’ Glad she didn’t say “you p**ple”! That would have been it! Game over!!!
WTF??

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You people are too sensitive.

Honestly, what’s up with saying “you people?” “You folks,” “You morons,” “you meatheads,” all are OK, but “you people” is somehow a slur? WTF?

iurockhead on July 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

“It’s not my fault!…” – Barrack “Han The Man” Obama

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Moochelle reminds me of “Chewy”.

VegasRick on July 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The legacy media really does think it is very important..

d1carter on July 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Moochelle reminds me of Patrick Ewing.

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The Left sure is touchy. Even if she said “you people,” what’s the big deal? Own your superiority Liberalz!

conservative pilgrim on July 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I think she said lizard people. Is David Icke secretly running the Romney campaign?

Mark1971 on July 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

VegasRick on July 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

That didn’t take long. Hanging curveball? :)

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Really? This is a thing? Who in the hell cares if she did in fact say you people?

I really despise the Left.

changer1701 on July 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I’m almost certain she said “crab people.”

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 9:27 PM

*snort*

iurockhead on July 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

They are scrutinizing this bit of film like the Zapruder film.

Yet the Fast & Furious scandal…..

Crickets

portlandon on July 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

WHAT?!?!?! Ann Romney was on the grassy knoll?

AllahsNippleHair on July 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Just curious what are the ratings for these morning shows compared to what they were 20/30 years ago?

NO ONE, seriously no one that I know watches these shows. Everyone I know is here in the office working by 8am and we get our news from the news or phones, etc. And I’m not talking about Righties either. I’m talking Libs as well.

Non-story, next.

Not the Communist 2012 !!

PappyD61 on July 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM

“It’s not my fault!…” – Barrack “Han The Man” Obama

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Moochelle reminds me of “Chewy”.

VegasRick on July 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I have to correct my last post..

Han Solo is no long politically correct.
To be replaced with..

Han Someone else did it…

Chewy…

Grasshopper…crunchy..

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Michelle Obama: “For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I’m Really Proud of My Country”

farsighted on July 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM

They`ll make an ad of it anyway.

ThePrez on July 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I’m glad ABC is right on top of the hard issues of the day.

GarandFan on July 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM

0bama is the destroyer.
jukin3 on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Product of our political culture…..when things aren’t going well, squirrel!

conservative pilgrim on July 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Is this real life?

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I wonder if everything has been changed during the night? Let me think. Was everything the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if things are not the same, the next question is ‘Where in the world are we?’ Ah, that’s the great puzzle!

Cheshire Cat on July 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Agreed, but at the same time this might be an appropriate place to apply the “Palin Standard”: “The very fact that people are saying this about her is damaging.” I actually saw that rationale at the time that the Game Change thing appeared.

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I’m literally laughing my a$$ off at this daily outrage of the day the libtards are trying to come up with. Let me check…yup, my a$$ is almost gone. It’s only July, then what am I gonna do. This $hit is pathetic.

msupertas on July 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Run with it Dems, sounds like a sure thing to me, oh and if you can squeeze it in. Call her a racist.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM

“For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I’m Really Proud of My Country”

farsighted is misquoting FLOTUS. Below is the full transcript:

“For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I’m Really Proud of My Country”

See..wait..uh..

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Ask Neil Cavuto, he seems to be just great.

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Yes, because everybody reacts the same way, regardless of age, etc, to an illness.
Pull your head out.

AllahsNippleHair on July 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I coulda swore I heard ‘Boy’ in there somewhere.
Maureen Plowed.

BigWyo on July 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Oh, they will.

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Moochelle reminds me of Patrick Ewing.

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

With thunder thighs.

msupertas on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Their latest outrageous outrage? Chik-Fil-A who said they run their business on biblical principals, and other 23 other businesses that donate to Republican PACS.

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

And our new Fox News / Murdoch waterboy of the RINO led gop (DRUDGE) is busy carrying the hit on Bachmann, and ANYONE that might oppose the Muslim Brotherhood.

Ann Romney want to be demonized? Criticize the possibility that someone in the Administration might be letting Muslim brotherhood officials into the White House for meetings with the NSC.

THEN you’ll be a bit more worried about the media. Pffftttt on ABC and the “you people” scandal.

Nice going Drudge, you going to highlight Ann and her slip of the tongue scandal?

PappyD61 on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Moochelle reminds me of Patrick Ewing.

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM

With thunder thighs.

msupertas on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Oh my bad, that’s where she stores her veggies.

msupertas on July 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That didn’t take long. Hanging curveball? :)

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

“Somebody else did that”

VegasRick on July 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I am not a Romney fan, but I seriously hope they don’t start that nonsense again.

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, there stupidity knows no bounds. One can only hope that this time around the Rino’s will try their best not to stick a knife into her back the way they did with Palin.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

+$16 Trillion in debt and Obowma is adding Mexico to the food stamp roles…

… and this is an issue?

Seven Percent Solution on July 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

To be honest I’m having a hard time making out what she’s saying in that clip. I’m not even sure she said “you people”…..so I’m sure not going to get upset about.

terryannonline on July 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

+$16 Trillion in debt and Obowma is adding Mexico to the food stamp roles…

… and this is an issue?

Seven Percent Solution on July 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

THIS^^^

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM

PappyD61 on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

What is that saying…”the GOP will betray you” or “the GOP will screw you”…or..? I can’t remember.

d1carter on July 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

+$16 Trillion in debt and Obowma is adding Mexico to the food stamp roles…

… and this is an issue?

Seven Percent Solution on July 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Obama has run his entire life on false racism. Why stop now?

tetriskid on July 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Lefties cannot stand the fact that Barry cannot pull it together and get traction. You’d think after Zero and Co. spent $100 million over 2 months running vicious attack ads and spewed lies that he’d at least gain 1 point in the polls.

Har.

Start packing the sock drawer, Ochoomba.

Philly on July 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

MKH–are you really defending Obama on his statement? Why? Warren reiterates and clarifies what Obama meant. “That” was quite clear to everyone including the audience except, suddenly, the Obama diehards (not saying you are at all, but puzzled that you’d include an appeal for Obama’s revision).

conservative pilgrim on July 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Oh, they won’t do that. “Moderates” don’t eat their own. Those knives are only for conservative backs.

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I have misplaced my decoder ring…could someone tell me what ‘you people’ is supposed to mean in Liberalspeak?

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

ddrintn on July 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Leave it to HotAir’s jilted Palin groupie-turned-Obama supporter ddrintn to bring up Sarah Palin in yet another thread.

I seriously doubt this clip will be at all effective in damaging Ann beyond the rabid Obama supporters and MSNBC audience who are already disinclined to vote for Romney.

Besides, Ann isn’t even the one running for office, and the nasty response to this perfectly straightforward answer of hers will likely backfire and energize Republicans even more.

Sorry, ddrintn, as much as you want Obama to be reelected, it isn’t going to happen.

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Is this real life?

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yes, and no.

You are doubtless thinking that the “real” in “real life” is a quality of soundness and orderliness that allows social life, society, to be observed and predicted and adapted to. But confronted with the insanity of society’s current behavior — society operating as a single minded herd or flock — you probably have an impression of “dreaminess” or unreality as you find it impossible to predict or adapt.

It is possible you also feel a vaguely anxious insecurity, since you are being asked to adapt blindly — adapt to a constant flux — which is difficult since it requires you to find any reference point in the storm and cling to that.

(I try to work things out to keep from leaping from elevations higher than one would presuppose commensurate to safe leaping.)

All the foregoing could be wrong, except for the bit about leaping. It may be instead that the Matrix has you. In that case, the answer is no, and you should take the red pill.

If it’s me that’s dreaming, disregard all of this and bring back Jennifer Love Hewitt — the pouty dark brown version with the regular nose, not the new wheat-colored one, and get on with the chariot races.

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

bluegill on July 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM

THIS^^^

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

“It shouldn’t be a Democrat/Republican issue,” Obama said. “America is not just about you people doing well. America is about everybody doing well.” Source

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I had not realized that the words “YOU” and “PEOPLE” were now taboo – OOPS – I won’t get in trouble for typing those words, will I? Oh my – this PC stuff is difficult – I think I need more practice.

Pork-Chop on July 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

LIBERAL: Well, the bottom line is that she was “thinking” YOU PEOPLE. She “wanted” to say it! //

TarheelBen on July 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

The noun-phrase “you people” has a vexed history in that it is credited with ending the political career of some guy named Ross Perot when he used it to address his audience in remarks to an NAACP event way back before the surface of the Earth had fully cooled. After that the only person who ever took Perot seriously was Al Gore in a televised debate about NAFTA or something.

casuist on July 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

It’s nice when Progressives make shopping lists for us.

batterup on July 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

PC killed the victims at Fort Hood.

the new aesthetic on July 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Any member of the “Protected Classes.” Black, Latinos, Asians, Gays, etc.

ThePrez on July 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Source

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

How do you do that??

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I keep hearing Greta VA Susteren refer to someone called “Preznibomma”.

Maybe she’s trying to say something else….

IronDioPriest on July 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM

People must be really desperate for something to complain about if this is actually an issue.

Terrye on July 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Oh my god. Who the hell cares?

Optimus Prime on July 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Any member of the “Protected Classes.” Black, Latinos, Asians, Gays, etc.

ThePrez on July 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I had to go back and check. Unfortunately for Ann Romney the reporter looks to be one of ‘The Untouchables’.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM

It’s nice when Progressives make shopping lists for us.

batterup on July 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Yes, I’ll be sure to spend my money with those who are on that list.

How do you do that??

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Most of the information and links I share I get from that “silly” social media tool that many still deride as nothing but a stupid waste of time called, Twitter.

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

casuist on July 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Only by sniveling, finger sniffing pc types like yourself, who are looking to be outrageously outraged.

AllahsNippleHair on July 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Even if she said “you people”, she would have been talking about the media, not regular people.

Still, they need a better answer. Flip the question: “what specifically are you looking for in the tax returns? When Obama extended the Bush tax cuts, we continued to pay those rates. If Obama wanted us to pay more than the capital gains rate, why did he extend the tax cuts?” also, humor would help….” Obama’s plan to halve the deficit isn’t in there!”

peachaeo on July 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Well I do appreciate both the info you give and the always present references.

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

“you people” is offensive to blacks. I found that out the hard way when I, a Yankee, used the term in a presentation where blacks were present. (This was in a southern state.) My black boss took me aside immediately afterward and told me that it was insulting. I was so gobsmacked by the ridiculousness of the statement that I forgot to ask why. You’d have thought that I had addressed the group (which by the way was 60% white) as “you turds” or something.

natasha333 on July 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

She said “Jiew” people–I heard it!! She’s an anti-Semite!! Just like, um, oh darn, Jimmuh, and Sharpton, and uh, never mind. /

smellthecoffee on July 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

conservative pilgrim on July 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Nah, just acknowledging that when there’s a sliver of doubt, people who like him will exonerate him. I actually think, and have said all week on TV, that I think he meant businesses and that the sentiment tracks exactly with Warren’s comments. Also, even if you concede the point about “that” meaning something different, the rest of the quote, about hard work and smarts, is arguably MORE problematic, and supports the that-as-business argument..

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

It’s nice when Progressives make shopping lists for us.

batterup on July 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I love the Clik-Fil-A thing. I lived on them in college. Before I dropped out and started building my billion dollar software empire … still in progress, mind. To actually get a favorite on a “should” list for a change is kinda nice.

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Twitter blows!

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

KCB on July 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Thank you. I’m glad you find it helpful.

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

In Marxspeak it means the people who should eat cake because they have no bread.

Liberalspeak and Marxspeak are different dialects of the same language.

farsighted on July 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I keep hearing Greta VA Susteren refer to someone called “Preznibomma”.

IronDioPriest on July 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM

lol

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Liberalspeak and Marxspeak are different dialects of the same language.

farsighted on July 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I have never really understood either one.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM

“You People” is just not as bad as a lot of things you hear on tv, it’s not grammatically correct, I believe “People” is redundant because it means the same thing as “You,” in the sentence, but you could also say just “people” without the You.

I think she said STOOPID People.

Fleuries on July 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I say to all lefties, please kick the shiit out of Ann Rombo on a daily basis, that is sure to win you plenty of accolades and heaps of indie votes. No really.

Bishop on July 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Twitter blows!

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Tell it to Michelle Malkin

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM

THIS^^^

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Looks like you’ll be needing some of that $10 perfume. It covers fish stench 90% of the time. For a limited time pick up two for the price of one.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Tell it to Michelle Malkin

Flora Duh on July 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Michelle Malkin! (I love you!) And Twitter blows!

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Twitter blows!

Axe on July 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Your just jealous, its okay to be tweetless.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Your=You’re

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I recall Ross Perot addressed a black group once and used the phrase “you people”, and though he quickly corrected it to “your people”, the damage was done. Like farting at a state dinner. A faux pas, I guess.

If Obama and/or the Democrats bring up a single substantive issue in this campaign, I’ll fall out of my chair.

Paul-Cincy on July 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

So Mrs. Romney has confirmed that no more returns will be released because:

“There are so many things that will be open again for more attack”

Really? What kind of things, Ann?

“What is Mitt Romney hiding?”

chumpThreads on July 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

???

Oh…

Bluegill…

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Electrongod on July 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Or as I like to refer to her. The stench of rotting fish or the gilled one. You’re choice. ; ) So, two bottles?

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM