Why Palin should speak at the Republican convention

posted at 8:41 am on July 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve certainly generated a lot of commentary over the last two days over what may be a nothingburger — the fact that Sarah Palin has yet to be invited to speak at the Republican National Convention in Tampa.  As Rick Santorum told Jonathan Karl this week, no one has been invited to speak at the convention — at least not yet.  There’s almost no doubt that Santorum will get a slot, having run second in delegates in the nomination race, and since he hasn’t received his slot yet, it’s fair to assume that those decisions haven’t quite been made yet.

Dustin took a lot of heat yesterday for suggesting that having Palin off the schedule might not be a bad idea:

I decided to keep an open mind prior to her 2008 GOP Convention speech, but afterwards was the only person in a roomful of conservative interns who thought it was merely decent. Everyone else was ecstatic about what she had said. I also watched part of her much-maligned Couric interview, but heard from my friend Adam Brickley — who as a college student helped launch Palin to the national spotlight — that I should not put much weight into what I saw there. I then spent the next two years reading her op-eds, watching her speak, and discussing the excitement many other young conservatives had for Palin and her future within the GOP, and realized I just didn’t think Palin added much to the conservative movement. Yes, she has her positive attributes, both personally and with regards to public policy. But between her unpopularity with the general public (yes, partially created and exacerbated by utterly dishonest media portrayals of Palin and her family, as well as completely hateful attacks on her by Paul Krugman and others after the Giffords shooting) and her lack of knowledge on issues outside of anti-corruption and energy policy, I think inviting her to speak at the convention would be a poor decision for the GOP.

Based on the reaction, one might have thought Dustin had called Ronald Reagan a Communist.  No one in politics is above criticism (just as no writers on politics are above criticism for their criticism), and when we treat people like they are, we get … Barack Obama, for one. A wise manual on life instructs us to put not our trust in princes, a handy axiom to keep in mind while working in politics.  Nothing Dustin wrote was mean-spirited or dishonest.

As it happens, I disagree with Dustin, but not exactly for the same reasons I saw in the comments yesterday.  I think the RNC needs to invite Sarah Palin to speak at the convention — and moreover, I think it would be bad manners to not invite her.  Four years ago, she took the slings and arrows for the party as John McCain’s running mate.  That should at least earn her the respect of her party, even from those who may not want to back her as a candidate for office now or in the future.  What does it say about the party if we can’t fit the previous #2 banner-carrier somewhere in four evenings of speeches?

The convention isn’t exactly an exclusive club, after all — and neither is the Republican Party.  This isn’t the Tea Party Convention, nor the Moderates Convention, nor the Establishment Convention, nor the Paleo-Cons Convention.  It’s the Republican National Convention, and it is supposed to unite all of the various factions and philosophies within the Big Tent of the GOP as we head into a tough fight for the White House, Congress, and all of the state races.  Palin’s obvious influence and appeal to grassroots voters makes her (separately from the above argument) a must-have for the four-day event.  By the same token, we also need to have Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, and Santorum in prime speaking slots, as they put their lives on hold and garnered significant support for their candidacies, and their supporters need to be united under the same Republican banner, too.

Herman Cain should speak … mostly because Herman Cain is one of the best orators in the conservative movement.  In fact, can we get him two speaking slots?

Nor should those be the only featured speakers.  Let’s hear from Chris Christie and Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio and Sam Brownback, Kay Bailey Hutchison and Brian Sandoval, and Susan Collins and John McCain, too.  I don’t agree with any of these people 100% of the time — well, maybe DeMint and Rubio — but I agree with them enough for their contribution to matter.  They each speak to constituencies we need to reach in this election, even when we don’t see eye to eye.

Conventions are about unity, and they’re also long enough to fit practically everyone who wants to appear.  I’m looking forward to hearing Palin and Cain fire up the grassroots, DeMint and Paul remind us of the need to limit government power, Gingrich to hammer critics of the party, and Mitt Romney to unite everyone under one banner for the final ten weeks of the campaign.  Let’s start working on that unity now.

Update: My old friend John Ziegler agrees with Dustin and disagrees with me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

You, however, have always been a person who deserves respect.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Hey, how about me @sshole? Don’t I deserve some of your f’in respect?

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

And she hasn’t? You know this how?
She has already stated she would work with, and support whomever the nominee was…she already stated that she supports Romney…what other information do you have to the contrary?

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

This you might find this to be interesting. Wish I could post more of the article though:

The Romney camp will not comment on Palin, or on plans for the convention, but one adviser associated with the campaign suggested that Palin would be prohibited from speaking at the Republican convention by her contract with Fox News. “It’s true I’m prohibited from doing some things,” Palin says, “but this is the first I’ve heard anyone suggest that as an excuse, er, reason to stay away from engaging in the presidential race. I’m quite confident Fox’s top brass would never strip anyone of their First Amendment rights in this regard.” (Fox says her contract would not prohibit speaking at the convention if she sought permission.)

If this is true it would be a major mistake by Team Romney.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

But we are not not friends either! I’m just point out that MadCon always cusses here. It’s his way of adding spice. Obviously not to everyone’s taste but I don’t think it is personal.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I don’t take it personally at all. I’m not offended by MadCon, nor am I upset by him. He has a definite point of view, and a unique way of expressing it.

He does, however, have a habit of obfuscating the issue when directly challenged. I’m asking him a simple question. I’d like to have it answered.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Hey, how about me @sshole? Don’t I deserve some of your f’in respect?

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

If that’s not intentionally ironic, then let me clarify: no. You throw out bulls**t claims with no citation to back your side of an argument, then demand that others cite them instead of back them up yourself.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Fox somewhere commented that her contract would not prohibit her from speaking…kind of obvious, you can’t buy that kind of PR.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Herman Cain should speak … mostly because Herman Cain is one of the best orators in the conservative movement. In fact, can we get him two speaking slots?

Herman Cain needs to get the VP nod as well. We need more business men in Washington and less bureaucrats.

nazo311 on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Again, you’re a liar. I already answered your question. You, however, have a habit of ignoring responses that don’t jive with your pathetic narrative.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Exactly right, and you cause me to wonder why Romney wants the bad press he will keep on getting if Sarah doesn’t appear on stage.

The RomBots should be kissing her derierre since their beloved liberal is in dire straites and he desperately needs her help if he wants to get elected.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yeah, even after I cite, give links, you still use the same argument. I can’t help it if you don’t look at the links, read the citation given to you.
But maybe if you could give a specific example instead of blah, blah, blah…it would have some credibility.
Nice try to deflect though…how ironic you accuse someone of this, and provide no link or citation to back up what you say…oh the irony of this post…good grief, it couldn’t have been better.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

nazo311 on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I personally think he will. He’s got charisma, Tea Party/conservative appeal, but is inexperienced enough in political office that the VP chair would allow him to learn a great deal.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

He can stuff some mean envelopes!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

All right, 500+ posts already!

Here’s some more sardines. On to 1,000!

Del Dolemonte on July 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Here you go. Now piss off.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

She only responds to the continued digs from the romney goon squad.

If they just focused on Obama this wouldn’t happen.

the_nile on July 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Ah, so Romney’s “goon squad” forced her to make negative comments about Republicans. Got it. I’d like her to focus on Obama – she’s brilliant when she does, but she also has a seemingly uncontrollable impulse to engage in friendly fire. There’s nothing constructive or helpful about what she says at this point in time as we approach the convention and Election Day, she merely impugns Republicans in very general terms with unsubstantiated charges of “crony capitalism”,,, and more. Then we’re told those who aren’t pleased with this distraction have a “tin ear” for (allegedly) not rolling out the red carpet.

Buy Danish on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

The problem is…she would upstage him, and what she wants to talk about makes him nervous, limiting government, but more than anything, cronyism in politics…Mitt cannot survive without that, and it is his weakest (luckily as well as Obama’s) link.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I can only speak for myself but I’m crazy about both of you.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Anybody who maintains your level of patience on a site like this has to be a little crazy.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Based on what has been floated by the Romney camp, Palin probably has low expectations of being invited to speak at the convention. Seems to me like the GOP has made it fairly clear that they consider her to be an uneducated, low class bimbo who refuses to accept her station – which is firing up the riff raff to vote for Romney because he has gravitas. How dare she not bow at Mitt’s feet and accept whatever crumbs his blandness offers. /s

katiejane on July 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Here you go. Now piss off.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

A coroner in the UK claimed Maisey died of cannabis overdose, which was reviewed by the Federal Health Ministry of Switzerland and found to be full of s**t, just like you.

MadisonConservative on July 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

As I stated, I gave you a citation, a valid citation, you can take it or reject it. I noticed I gave a link, but you provided none by your claim. Irony again.

Besides, it is one agency,if yours is accurate, not agreeing with another…I can’t control that. Only answer your challenge that I don’t give citations…and you proved you were wrong, thanks for posting that, it must have been difficult to admit you falsely accused me.
I will accept an apology…

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I can only speak for myself but I’m crazy about both of you.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Your the Yin to our Yang…no, that’s wrong, you are the Yang to our Yin.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

More than a little and a very odd sense of humor.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Well, neither have I, and my criticism here was that she shouldn’t have taken Newsweek’s bait and that her complaint, which was about what they were looking for.

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

“Took the bait”. Please. If she speaks, she’s taking the bait. If she doesn’t speak and doesn’t lavish praise on Romney, she’s not a team player. It could be that she’s simply telling the truth.

Buy Danish on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It’s not as if Republicans never ever sniped at her over the past 4 years, is it?

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Buy Danish on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Palin has been attacked by “friendly fire” since 2008, she just shows generosity giving some back.
Romney goons have no reason at all attacking her , and when they continue she have all reasons to firing back.

the_nile on July 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, I’m probably one of those.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I’m not a big believer of not speaking ill of the party, there is much room for improvement and it doesn’t hurt people to know that.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Obama is floundering, Romney is in a good position.

Moesart on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Yeah, Mr Electable has been looking at Obama’s backside in the polls for months now. Great position.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I noticed I gave a link…

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I notice you’re a liar. I’m the only one who provided a link in our exchanged, pointing out the lack of credibility of the Australian story. You still dodge the first two names you provided, which yield ZERO results in a specific search for marijuana-related stories. Own up, or shut up. Otherwise, this off-topic crap is done.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

More than a little and a very odd sense of humor.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Odd though it may be, it strikes a chord with some of us.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

If Palin doesn’t speak I think I really would consider going 3rd party. Is this the most insane I’ve ever heard?

anotherJoe on July 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Buy Danish on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Unsubstantiated? There’s a book by one of her advisors documenting the participation in crony capitalism by members of both parties. Denny Hastert and a land deal in Plano, Il., is on the list, if memory serves.

wolfsDad on July 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Agreed, but they don’t have to let her speak during prime time as they will with keynote speaker Chris Christie, who supports gun control, amnesty, 0bamacare and climate legislation.

If this goes three days they can put her on the first day. If Mitt cannot compete with that he should bow out of the campaign NOW.

BTW, I wonder if the Sketchy supporters also support gun control, amnesty, 0bamacare and climate legislation. HMM!

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Remember what your quitter queen say about polls?

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

anotherJoe on July 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Personally, I hope she doesn’t speak. Let Romney and his squish myrmidons sink or swim on their own.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

anotherJoe on July 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

[willard supporter tweak]

Gary Johnson 2012: The only Conservative running for POTUS today

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Really?

And, while “official” announcements haven’t gone out, I’ve seen reports that both Santorum & Jeb Bush will be speaking in some capacity/time slot.

Santorum, Bush, Christie etc. are certainly viable speakers, and I have no qualms about them being on the agenda. As you note, Palin as the immediate past VP candidate should be on the line-up as well.

But all these “no invitations have gone out…” rationalizations smell more than a little fishy- and below the level of “professionalism” conservative voters have a right to expect from “Mr. Businessman,” Mitt Romney, who should know his way around politics, diplomacy, scheduling etc.

There’s something rotten in Denmark, as they say…

cs89 on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Remember what your quitter queen say about polls?

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yeah, and I always remember that you ‘bots live and die by them.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

If Romney “Goes It Alone” He Will Lose

“From snubbing Sarah Palin and other conservative leaders at the Republican National Convention, to floating names like Condoleeza Rice, Rob Portman and Chris Christie for Vice President, to surrounding himself with Bush family acolytes to run his campaign, Governor Romney seems to be on the verge of adopting the same attitude Vice President George H.W. Bush had when he was reported to have said “screw ‘em” after some conservative leaders questioned his commitment to the conservative agenda.”

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Compete with what?

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yes (use both hands), depends on the individual situation, no, no.

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Remember what your quitter queen….

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Remember what your ObamaCare engineer…
Remember what your Assault Weapons Ban supporter…
Remember what your self-identified Progressive…

You can’t win this through deflection, numbnuts.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Really?

There’s something rotten in Denmark, as they say…

cs89 on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Yup , ed is pushing talking points.

the_nile on July 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM

[ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM]

What does that have to do with your assertion I would criticize no matter what? Nothing. Your worse than I am in criticizing her since you admit to having criticized her a lot. You’ll be hard pressed to find three times where I have criticized her and many more times where I have fully supported her.

Bottom line you are who you are complaining about and just rote commenting the opposite, which is just lame.

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Update: My old friend John Ziegler agrees with Dustin and disagrees with me.

I just went to look – really, the sun rose in the East. I also checked and most H2O is wet.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yes (use both hands), depends on the individual situation, no, no.

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Depends on what Gallup says, doesn’t it, ‘bot?

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Well how did Romney and his squish myrmidons fare when Queen Quitter endorsed his opponent in the primary? Not so bad.

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

If you had done so your name would be mud around here, so color me skeptical on that one.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Oh, I dunno. Little Lord Fauntleroy seemed to struggle to get above 25% most of the time. And that was against a bunch of 3rd stringers.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM

depends on the individual situation

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Depends on what Gallup says, doesn’t it, ‘bot?

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No, it depends on the individual situation.

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Buy Danish on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I don’t even like Palin, as is well known around here.

Still, to hell with all of you who try to shut people up for telling the truth.

The right is as culpable, often more culpable for what ails the land.

The right is often creepier than the left in their deceipt and quest for power. I resent DC in almost its entirety and have not hear Mitt fight against it. I resent Boehner and McConnell and all the creeps like them. That includes McCain and Ms. Lindsey, Lugar and the others.

Mitt has not proven to have a couple, not to speak of steely ones.

You and yours can go on all you want. There is more to fixing the land than getting Obama out, which is TOP priority.

Multi-thread – is is a god-given possibility for the right, alas.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Palin never endorsed anyone in the primary…:)

After she voted in the Alaska primary, She was asked who she voted for and she answered.

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The lineup of Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Sarah Palin, Rudy G, Scott Walker, Rubio…that alone would rock the world, conservatives, moderates, all covered, red meat, squishy tofu, you got it all and all great speakers and have great momentum…throw in a few others of your liking and the GOP rocks America.
Take one of of the first three or four out, and it begins to look like a contrived, controlled, message…it emulates the personality of Mitt.
You need a couple of lose canons, a couple of “hell raisers” for the MSM to bash and talk about…who does not remember the line “the difference between a pit bull and a….”, she rocked the convention…Rudy is an icon, Ryan concise in describing technical details, the only politician to make budgets interesting, Christie a warrior, Walker, a hero…these are the faces of the GOP, politicians, ex politician’s, journalists. All with a huge following and loyal supporters, and all Republicans.
Why would you want to exclude any of them?

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I think a couple of Texans would be nice as well…

The Governor could speak up on Reaganomics and how that works in Texas creating over 60% of jobs in this country, and Federal Over-reach & Atty. Gen. Abbott could speak up on the corrupt EPA,DHS & DOJ

That would be cool

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

deceipt = deceit

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Gary Johnson 2012: The only Conservative running for POTUS today

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Lean Forward

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Why would you want to exclude any of them?

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

1. Because Mitt was pushed over in 2004, for Palin. The primadonna will never forget that.

2. The conservatives, TEA partiers and such are taken for granted.

3. If you criticize the Rs you must be pro-Obama.

4. RINOs know best and go it alone. May they all go the way of Obama, really.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’ll be possibly voting for him if he doesn’t say anything further that is monumentally stupid. It will probably require the firing of Eric Fehrnstrom to make this happen.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Not a liar, just busy at work and didn’t catch your answer.

Or non-answer, I should say, given that Romney firing Fehrnstrom is highly unlikely, and that Romney is bound to say something you consider stupid in the next couple of days.

If Romney doesn’t fire Fehrnstrom, or says something stupid, will you stay home on election day, or hope that Palin runs third party, so you have someone to vote for?

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Many of you would do well to follow Palin’s advice –
and be accepting of consequences.
All this raging against RNC, RINOs, Mittbots, etc. – and now tears because no invite yet to their party?
You need to start a 3rd party…and a fourth and a fifth. No more more big tent, just a whole bunch of little ones.
I sure as heck hope the invite comes through – it’ll be a heck of a show.

verbaluce on July 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

depends on the individual situation

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Depends on what Gallup says, doesn’t it, ‘bot?

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No, it depends on the individual situation.

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

“Situational ethics”. The hallmark of the squish.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I have never said I would stay home on election day. All I have said is that I might not check the box next to Romney’s name. A number of other elections will be important on the ballot. If Romney continues to show total unreliability and incompetence, then I might write in Palin, West, or someone else. I suppose I should note that I’d never vote for Obama, lest one of the many who dislike me claim otherwise(which they will, anyway).

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Yes (use both hands), depends on the individual situation, no, no.

Go RBNY on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Thank you! I’ve been stating that Romney supporters support 0bamacare. Now you’ve given me proof!

Lean Forward

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Liberal AND a pervert? Figures.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Well, yes, because you see, if you vote for someone other than Romney or Obama — and even though Obama’s vote total remains the same, regardless of your non-vote — you still have voted for Obama, ya filthy O-bot Moby troll commie bastard.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I looked again, didn’t catch that link, but you did admit that I gave you a link to a valid U.K. story, and you seemed to have “skimmed” over that, must have been just an oversight.
Like I said, I linked, I will accept your apology that I don’t link…HAHAHAHA!, you crack me up. Good try though…..

Anyway, back to the post at hand.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Unfortunately, all valid points from Mitts perspective.

What I was proposing was not to diss Mitt, but to make one heck of a night of great speeches…imagine, Paul, Rudy, Palin, Christy, Rubio, Walker, my goodness, what a night of speeches, like a hot summer night under a Baptist tent…

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Haha. Ziegler doesn’t want Palin to speak at the convention?

(Gomer Pyle voice) “Suhprize, suhprize, suhprize…(sic)”

cs89 on July 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Now *THAT’S* a compliment! ;)

kim roy on July 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

CUDA

Metro on July 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

That would be cool

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Anyone that can fire up the base…I am for it, forget about the school yard fights, we need the voters to be stirred, riled, waving flags, destroying liberals ideas. We want the people to be heard, and represented…the real people of America, all the people, not just “super conservatives” or moderates, but all the people who embrace conservative ideals of smaller government, less government, better energy, more production/manufacturing, stable defense, protected borders, better education for all people, a stronger more vibrant America…and that is delivered by a variety of speakers.
Not just one highlighter, it has to be a cross section where every night someone says, “That’s my man/woman speaking”.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Are we going to do this every day?

alwaysfiredup on July 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

If we could think strategically for a moment.

Let’s forget how one of us or the other feel personally about Governor Palin. Is that possible? [There sure is a lot of dust stirred up for someone the MSM continues to label as "irrelevant" don't you think?]

We talk a lot in politics about optics. Or throw in message, theme, driving the meme, whatever you want to call it. So, putting aside all the love/hate for a second, let’s look at the optics of this race.

Isn’t the B story (or maybe the A story, depends on whom you ask) of this campaign that the American public screwed up last time? For whatever reason, getting caught up in the ether, drinking the kool-aid being poured by the pitcher on every news show, magazine cover and almost every newspaper in the country, cleansing some liberal guilt, whatever the cause, that’s the point. We/They made a mistake! A HUGE mistake, in the last election.

It’s not only an underlying theme of this campaign, it happens to be the straight up truth. How convenient. It does happen now and then.

Bottom Line: This country would be in far better hands today if John McCain and Sarah Palin had been elected to office.

Argue all you want about anything else, that’s indisputable. Unless you’re a Democrat (particularly a Democrat in denial).

If that’s the case, which it is, what are the optics at play here?

If the Romney campaign can get over itself for a quick minute and think, be as smart as they suggest their candidate is, how hard is it to figure out that the best way to show the nation that it made a mistake, that they passed over the better plan for the nation and the better team for the nation, is to put that team back on center stage at the Republican National Convention and let them tear the place up.

Now, I know, that’s mostly John smiling and Sarah ripping the skin from Barack Obama’s backside (which he so richly deserves), but that’s the campaign as it was and it’s a powerful image. Which makes a statement that needs to be made: You screwed up, America – and it’s time to make it Right!

Come on. How hard is that to figure out.

Folks, look, Ed’s right again in this respect. Putting Sarah Palin on the dais at the convention would not be doing her any favors. She doesn’t need it (for you political junkies, have you not noticed the groundwork she has been doing and continues to do out in the states – she does not need the RNC’s permission to do anything – nor has she ever sought it).

The truth is, she would be doing you a favor. And she should bring John with her. That’s also how the campaign was. If she’d been running the damn thing instead of Steve (cover my a**) Schmidt, they probably would have won it, but that’s another subject for another day.

So, if they don’t put her up there, I don’t think it’s going to matter to Sarah Palin one way or the other. But, it could certainly matter to the Romney campaign for President. After all, I thought that was what this was all about.

IndieDogg on July 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

My God!! Why would anyone listen to screwball Ziegler? He wanted to be part of Sarah’s inner circle and when Todd Palin told him to beat it – he became scornful and spiteful against Sarah ever since.

journeymike on July 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Thank you for your answer. It is one I respect. And I would never assume or claim that you would vote for Obama, which is why I did not include that option in my post.

Talk to you on the next Palin thread. You know it’s coming.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Talk to you on the next Palin thread. You know it’s coming.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

It’s really odd. My guess is the site needs hits or something, three days of this story is a tad much. Haven’t we all said pretty much all there is to say?

alwaysfiredup on July 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Let’s forget how one of us or the other feel personally about Governor Palin.

Truth be told, the libs might very well be right if they claimed the GOP and the right diss Palin because of male chauvanism (and a wee bit of jealousy?)

I have yet to hear one serious reason why she’s not a top GOP leader, other than the fact that the GOP as a party has turned to the left and is no longer your father’s GOP.

Don L on July 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I have to say, I’m okay with Palin not being invited to the Convention, so long as Romney isn’t invited either. Let him hold his own mini-Convention like Palin is doing, and we’ll see who gets the biggest crowds.

Buckshot Bill on July 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Lean Forward

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Liberal AND a pervert? Figures.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Every time you drop your drawers for Gary Johnson…I’ll respond in Obamaspeak

Chooooom

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

That would be cool

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

A Unified Message that states the Fact that Obama has delared War on Americans and Our way of life across this country

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Got you

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM

…(for you political junkies, have you not noticed the groundwork she has been doing and continues to do out in the states – she does not need the RNC’s permission to do anything – nor has she ever sought it).
IndieDogg on July 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Good to see someone is paying attention. Excellent post.

wolfsDad on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I can only speak for myself but I’m crazy about both of you.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Crazy in general? Or can I make that list too? Cause I love me some Cindy. ; )

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Good post Schad. Bring the passion and the truth.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

The Willard goon squad continues to vent their spleens over Palin.

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Oh, and while I’m feeling the love. I’d just like to say how lovely it is to come to this thread and see that we are all on the same team. Together we can unseat 0 . That is a compromise I am more than willing to make with each of you. Team work. We will unseat him! Go team!

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Oh and Cindy, Eds show is up. He says he has been ill. You might want to wish him well on that thread. I did.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hey are you trying to form some secret society or something. I want to be on the list too.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

SparkPlug, oh your on the list alright. -_-……………..; )

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Sorry, I must have missed something… Who the #%@* is Dustin Suggins? Google says he doesn’t exist.

TitularHead on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Sheesh…the pebble doesn’t like gossip clubs :)

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Also, SparkPlug, like Groucho Marx, never join a club that would have you. I skip the most ‘prominent’ of them, to their chagrin.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Bmore, with all the love I can muster for you, dude…you are like a good grandma.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM

workingclass artist on July 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

How is your mancrush on Willard coming?

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I agree, Ed. Well said.

J.E. Dyer on July 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

You’re damn right she should be invited to speak at the convention. At the very least, as you said Ed, she was the #2 person on the last ticket. The most important reasons are because she is a real conservative and will not only excite the base, but everyone in the whole country. Good, bad, or indifferent, she will get people excited.

Mirimichi on July 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM

[2nd. attempt at reply] As I was busy working as a grass roots volunteer during the Historic 2010 TEAnami I could have missed reports of that, so perhaps you would be kind enough to post links showing those efforts? You see, I tried and found nothing.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Its amazing how useful idiots keep making claims they have no idea about. Same as Manchurian and Manchurian Lite, throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

riddick on July 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Not about Palin, but: Washington, DC –Tea Party Express Chairman Amy Kremer announced today the results of the nationwide survey of Tea Party Express supporters that showed Florida U.S. Senator Marco Rubio the favorite vice-presidential candidate.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM

It’s cute how Mittbots turn this to Palin. It’s also cute that HA won’t link to John Mccain’s statement that he chose Palin because she was a better candidate than Romney. That’s what it comes down to. Palin is not being invited because Palin beat Romney to the veepstakes in 2008. Ever since, Mittens has been using his surrogates to diminish her standing. He seems to be obsessed that Palin got the nod not him.

What was the biggest talking point this year? Palin was a bad veep candidate. Where did it originate from? Ed Gillespie. Who is he? Romney campaign higher up official. See? Romney’s team attacked Palin more than Obama this year and it all seems to point to 2008 veep selection.

As soon as they locked in nomination, this campaign seems to go all out on the meme on how Palin was not vetted( not true), how Palin brought Mccain down( not true) and how Romney is going to choose an anti-Palin to be his veep. It’s as if he has an inner demon which won’t let him go. This is frankly juvenile and immature.

Even if Palin has to be kept away, there’s no point in rehashing 2008 is there? The Mittbots claim that they don’t want Palin because they don’t want voters to be reminded of 2008 and yet they can’t help bringing themselves to remind themselves of 2008.

And now, when Romney should be the leader of the party and unite various factions, he’s alienating the biggest block of voters there is in the party.

promachus on July 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

By the way even liberals like Roger Ebert are chiding Romney. You know how weak Romney looks with this stunt when even people like Ebert taunt him over it.

promachus on July 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

IndieDogg on July 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

That’s what I think.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Endorsement of a seated Republican Senator isn’t enough to save Palin from being accused of “not being a team player”…

…but the guy who, 10 years ago, self-identified as “progressive” is the GOP nominee, deserving only of unquestioning support.

F**k anyone who has this logic.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Of course she is a team player. Only 4 years ago, she passionately endorsed all ideas of Super RINO McCain, although she didn’t believe in any of them, as we know now.

Gelsomina on July 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

We all know that Mitt Romney is gonna lose in November and the RINO etablishment will blame it on Sarah Palin…That’s a GIVEN.

Get ready for an Obama second term where he will accomplish NOTHING because Republican will control the house and the Senate will be split.Mitt Romney will disappear from politics (DONE as Al Gore) and the Tea Party will finally take over the Republican Party with Sarah leadership.

Rush wanted Obama to fail… I now want Romney to fail.

jules on July 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Out of 8,000 ballots, here is top 12 list that Tea Party Express voted for VP choices:

Marco Rubio 66.0%
Paul Ryan 49.9%
Allen West 46.8%
Rick Santorum 44.0%
Sarah Palin 41.0%
Michele Bachmann 40.9%
Scott Walker 39.8%
Mike Huckabee 39.1%
Chris Christie 37.9%
Newt Gingrich 34.7%
Herman Cain 34.5%
Rand Paul 31.9%

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

The left leaning Tea Party Express?

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I love you too. ; )

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM

riddick on July 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I’m sorry! Did you say that you would be working at the grass roots level to get Romney elected? If not I guess that would make you a useless idiot, right? /smug

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 4:26 PM