Why Palin should speak at the Republican convention

posted at 8:41 am on July 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve certainly generated a lot of commentary over the last two days over what may be a nothingburger — the fact that Sarah Palin has yet to be invited to speak at the Republican National Convention in Tampa.  As Rick Santorum told Jonathan Karl this week, no one has been invited to speak at the convention — at least not yet.  There’s almost no doubt that Santorum will get a slot, having run second in delegates in the nomination race, and since he hasn’t received his slot yet, it’s fair to assume that those decisions haven’t quite been made yet.

Dustin took a lot of heat yesterday for suggesting that having Palin off the schedule might not be a bad idea:

I decided to keep an open mind prior to her 2008 GOP Convention speech, but afterwards was the only person in a roomful of conservative interns who thought it was merely decent. Everyone else was ecstatic about what she had said. I also watched part of her much-maligned Couric interview, but heard from my friend Adam Brickley — who as a college student helped launch Palin to the national spotlight — that I should not put much weight into what I saw there. I then spent the next two years reading her op-eds, watching her speak, and discussing the excitement many other young conservatives had for Palin and her future within the GOP, and realized I just didn’t think Palin added much to the conservative movement. Yes, she has her positive attributes, both personally and with regards to public policy. But between her unpopularity with the general public (yes, partially created and exacerbated by utterly dishonest media portrayals of Palin and her family, as well as completely hateful attacks on her by Paul Krugman and others after the Giffords shooting) and her lack of knowledge on issues outside of anti-corruption and energy policy, I think inviting her to speak at the convention would be a poor decision for the GOP.

Based on the reaction, one might have thought Dustin had called Ronald Reagan a Communist.  No one in politics is above criticism (just as no writers on politics are above criticism for their criticism), and when we treat people like they are, we get … Barack Obama, for one. A wise manual on life instructs us to put not our trust in princes, a handy axiom to keep in mind while working in politics.  Nothing Dustin wrote was mean-spirited or dishonest.

As it happens, I disagree with Dustin, but not exactly for the same reasons I saw in the comments yesterday.  I think the RNC needs to invite Sarah Palin to speak at the convention — and moreover, I think it would be bad manners to not invite her.  Four years ago, she took the slings and arrows for the party as John McCain’s running mate.  That should at least earn her the respect of her party, even from those who may not want to back her as a candidate for office now or in the future.  What does it say about the party if we can’t fit the previous #2 banner-carrier somewhere in four evenings of speeches?

The convention isn’t exactly an exclusive club, after all — and neither is the Republican Party.  This isn’t the Tea Party Convention, nor the Moderates Convention, nor the Establishment Convention, nor the Paleo-Cons Convention.  It’s the Republican National Convention, and it is supposed to unite all of the various factions and philosophies within the Big Tent of the GOP as we head into a tough fight for the White House, Congress, and all of the state races.  Palin’s obvious influence and appeal to grassroots voters makes her (separately from the above argument) a must-have for the four-day event.  By the same token, we also need to have Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, and Santorum in prime speaking slots, as they put their lives on hold and garnered significant support for their candidacies, and their supporters need to be united under the same Republican banner, too.

Herman Cain should speak … mostly because Herman Cain is one of the best orators in the conservative movement.  In fact, can we get him two speaking slots?

Nor should those be the only featured speakers.  Let’s hear from Chris Christie and Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio and Sam Brownback, Kay Bailey Hutchison and Brian Sandoval, and Susan Collins and John McCain, too.  I don’t agree with any of these people 100% of the time — well, maybe DeMint and Rubio — but I agree with them enough for their contribution to matter.  They each speak to constituencies we need to reach in this election, even when we don’t see eye to eye.

Conventions are about unity, and they’re also long enough to fit practically everyone who wants to appear.  I’m looking forward to hearing Palin and Cain fire up the grassroots, DeMint and Paul remind us of the need to limit government power, Gingrich to hammer critics of the party, and Mitt Romney to unite everyone under one banner for the final ten weeks of the campaign.  Let’s start working on that unity now.

Update: My old friend John Ziegler agrees with Dustin and disagrees with me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

My view is sarah should form a New Conservative Party. After a four year cycle the rino’s will roll into the democrat party and the New conservative party will be the opposing party in the US. Further, some candidates will win House/senate/Gove seats and further other already elected GOP pols will defect to us.

In 8 years we will have the presidency.

We NEED to shake this up. The rino’s have destroyed conservatism, look what they have done to Sarah. You can make a case that republicans in the last 4 years have been WORSE to sarah than democrats.

Starting with Mccains staft, to elites in the beltway, to elected GOP snobs, to commenters at this site etc.

Further, after Sarah endorses candidates to victory, Bachmann, nikki haley etc. they treat her like a leper.

I SAY BLOW THIS REPUBLICAN PARTY UP!!! I’VE HAD IT, HIT SARAH YOU HIT ME!

Danielvito on July 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Lastly Ed, I’m starting to question who you call friends. First it was Tommy Christopher and then Ziegler and both are real whiners. What’s up with that?

multiuseless on July 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He also counts EJ Dionne among his friends. Ed must be an exceptionally tolerant guy to put up with that peanut gallery.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Now watch this drive.

HerneTheHunter on July 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I wonder if that will include Orin Hatch?

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Endorsement of a seated Republican senator is reason to question a person’s conservatism…

…but signing the legislation that would pave the way for ObamaCare is “severely conservative”.

Give it up, pal.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

He’s been on his clueless streak since yesterday, all the time claiming he’s “conservative”. Just like his progressive liberal idol, obviously.

riddick on July 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

If we win, but sell our souls, does it matter?

njrob on July 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Which is exactly why I’ve been anti-Romney.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Why is Sarah Palin inserting herself into another thread? She is just trying to make this thread all about her. Its what she does.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Nor should those be the only featured speakers. Let’s hear from Chris Christie and Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio and Sam Brownback, Kay Bailey Hutchison and Brian Sandoval, and Susan Collins and John McCain, too.

Typical Ed non-sense.

Why not add Scott McClellan and Lincoln Chafee to the list while we’re at it??

Of course Palin should get a prime time speaking slot at the convention. But that doesn’t mean every RINO under the sun should get equal time.

Norwegian on July 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Ok, Im going to try this again. Sarah Palin does not have a divine right to speak at the convention. Shes upset she hasn’t been invited to speak yet, yet won’t do the one thing it will take to get a speaking spot: enthusiastically endorse the nominee. Sarah Palin can do whatever she wants, she can endorse, not endorse, right a book, whatever. But if she wants to be invited to speak at the convention she needs to endorse him. Thats it. People speak at the pleasure of the nominee, he sets the speaking slots, its always been this way. So if she wants to be invited, she needs to make a choice, endorse Romney or be content to not speak. The end.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I think we all know that Mr. John Ziegler has personal issues. I can’t quite put my finger on why but he reminds me of that U.N. weapons inspector, Scott Ritter that did the about face.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

If she did speak at the convention who doesn’t think the networks would be running split screens with her in the Couric interview?

Maybe be unfair and partisan but it is more likely than not.

Christie will light the convention up just fine

Bradky on July 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

It’s a GOP convention, not a Romney convention…that comes after he is actually accepted as the nominee…get it?
Until then, the GOP platform is created, refined, stated…and that means a variety of people get to express their opinions…you didn’t know that?

[right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM]

You’re kind of naive, aren’t you?

You also tend to ignore the point of a comment a lot. The point wasn’t about attending the convention or helping to write the platform, or being prevented from expressing opinions there but being invited to speak, qualified by prime-time slot.

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Strawman some more.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM

What I’d like to know is will GOP present an “Honorary Handkerchief” to Boehner at the convention while he proclaims once again that he is going to get, tough, I tell you, in the next term as Speaker.

riddick on July 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I love how you parse just one sentence from what I wrote to make your own “straw man” argument.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Bradky on July 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Why would they do that? It isn’t current or relevant and would insinuate some kind of bias. I’m sure the snark from the color commentators will suffice. And who cares about the media anyway. Better to worry about what they are going to do to Gov. Romney and his named running mate instead of four years ago.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Yes. That Zeigler guy is a bit touched in the head.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Christie will light the convention up just fine

Bradky on July 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The word “light” and Christy shouldn’t be used in the same sentence…:)

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Maybe because no one has been invited to speak yet and the “fact” that she is miffed is scant at best.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

you are right – the networks are paragons of objectivity. never mind.

Bradky on July 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Well then, f**k Mitt Romney. How about that for a choice!

HerneTheHunter on July 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

She will be invited and will give a great speech.

rjoco1 on July 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

RedCrow on July 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.

maverick muse on July 18, 2012 at 10:08 AM

What’s the message here – deal with a person you find to be abusive/extremely unpleasant whenever he says something interesting to you, otherwise you’re acting unwisely?

Do you know what “codependence” means? Do you deny that it exists? How about, “peace of mind” – how much do you value it, anyway?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I like your line up, Ed. I agree that it is foolish not to cover all the bases. It is a small thing to do and it gets a lot of bang for the buck. I bet Gov. Christie would bring down the house.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

You addressed some “divine right” of Palin. Nobody here has expressed that or anything like it. When you address an argument from the opposition that nobody has made, that’s a straw man. Do your homework, then come on back.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Willard does not have a divine right to get my vote.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The word “light” and Christy shouldn’t be used in the same sentence…:)

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Maybe his QOTD will be “Get in this conservative belly”

Bradky on July 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Bradky on July 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

LOL! Oddly enough there are a more than a few who believe they are. They can’t afford to let the cat out of the bag. Their numbers already stink.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Update: My old friend John Ziegler agrees with Dustin and disagrees with me.

Shocking.

portlandon on July 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Its not about whether or not shes mad about it, although when you read the story and her quotes its clear shes not happy, its about whether or not she has a “right” to speak. My argument is, until she endorses the nominee, then no she doesn’t. Would it be gracious and generous of the the Romney camp to give her a speaking slot without and endorsement? Absolutely. If I were running the campaign would I allow it without an endorsement? No way.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I bet Gov. Christie would bring down the house.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

In more ways than one…:)

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Until such time as Palin endorses Romney, this talk of her speaking at the convention is premature.

Basilsbest on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Anyway, this is as tiresome as it was four years ago, and somehow has only gotten worse. Then it was wise_man attacking McCain critics, now it’s changer/bluegill/Buy Danish attacking Romney critics. You people are attacking Palin only because you hope it will deflect from your inability to defend Romney in any way other than “he’s not Obama”. I’ll give you one thing — your transparency is the complete opposite of Obama’s.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

People speak at the pleasure of Republican Party. Its a REPUBLICAN PARTY CONVENTION last time I checked, not just another King Lite Coronation as you seem to think.

We’re not even at January 21 yet and you idiots, err, RomneyBots, already reveal your liberal roots, at least have some decency to hide your true intentions of pushing this progressive liberal squish until some later time.

Its not a coronation, its a PARTY CONVENTION. Palin, as are others, are members of.

Seems Romney is doung a fine job uniting people /s

riddick on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM

No one used the phrase, but the implication of many of the comments were clear, which was why I commented in the first place when I normally don’t.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Oh, it’s like the same law of gravity. Whatever Palin does or does not do will be criticized. Period.

[ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 11:20 AM]

Do you criticize her in the manner you suggest? If not, then your comparison is invalid, thus the knee-jerkiness of your complaint about me.

BTW, have you ever criticized something Palin did or didn’t do?

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

“If I were running the campaign would I allow it without an endorsement? No way.”

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

And that’s why you post anonymously on a comment thread from your mother’s basement.

HerneTheHunter on July 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

No one used the phrase…

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Thanks for admitting your strawman. Attempting to weasel out of it, sadly, nullified whatever credit you deserved.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

riddick on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

No, you are wrong, the presumptive nominee chooses who speaks and who does not. It has always been done this way.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

And now I can’t stop laughing, internet tough guy.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM

We already said that, you illiterate cretin. Of course we’re playing the long game. Everyone should. Unfortunately, mental midgets such as yourself are limited only to “ANYBODY BUT OBAMA BECAUSE THE COUNTRY IS FINISHED WITHOUT ROMNEY!!!111″

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m the internet tough guy??? Come on, MadCon, throw a f*ck in there, you know you want to.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

You’re kind of naive, aren’t you?

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Usually when one speaks, they are expressing an opinion, just say’in. And in expressing the opinion, they define the platform.
And since Palin understands the platform of the GOP, limited government, expansion of energy, strong defense, etc., she is one of the more qualified to speak, which is expressing her opinion, which is confirming the platform…see how that works? I know that sounds naive to a person of your intellect.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Using Ziegler’s logic, Ronald Reagan should not have spoke at the 1964 or 1976 Conventions.

portlandon on July 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

HerneTheHunter on July 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Anonymously? See the fact my name is blue?? That means its a link, to my twitter page. First and last name, picture. From my moms basement? Im a small business owner a wife and a mom. If you are going for insults rather then addressing the comment, maybe choose a less intellectually lazy way to go about it.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Many stupid people still haven’t learned how Obama got to the White House.

It’s called a Sarah Palin. Probably not wise to give Obama a whole bunch of video clip soundbites he can hand out to his media pals.

They will let her talk. Then watch her cult cry in here about her not getting the spotlight position in the evening. Or something, they will whine about something.

Moesart on July 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Bet

Palin primetime speech at GOP convention equals all time TV ratings

No palin at the GOP convention, worst ratings in recent history!

Danielvito on July 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

BTW, have you ever criticized something Palin did or didn’t do?

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I’ve had a lot of criticisms of Palin. But you see, I don’t say she’s a polarizing unelectable stupid hick moron drama queen money grubber sell books reality TV show, and so I’m a “worshiper”.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM

False, Romney campaigned across the country for candidates in 2010 and gave quite a bit of money. So your premise is totally wrong.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Considering the time I spent working at the grass roots level in 2010 I may have missed that. Do you, or could you supply links proving your assertion? I ask because I can find nothing.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Bet

Palin primetime speech at GOP convention equals all time TV ratings

No palin at the GOP convention, worst ratings in recent history!

Bet

You’re a kos kid troll.

Moesart on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Anonymously? See the fact my name is blue??

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I’ve never met anyone whose name was blue. I had a friend, we called him Red because he had red hair. You don’t have blue hair do you?

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I love idiots who think profanity is used only to assert aggression, rather than emphasis. Helps me be more efficient in singling out commenters for zero-respect responses.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Maybe be unfair and partisan but it is more likely than not.

Christie will light the convention up just fine

Bradky on July 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Maybe they can do the split screen thingie with Christie yucking it up with the Chinese.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

There are many other stories and many grateful candidates which is one reason why Nikki Haley endorsed Romney so early, same with Christine O’Donnell

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Many stupid people still haven’t learned how Obama got to the White House.

Moesart on July 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Actually, most thinking people who can read polling don’t believe that.

But then, you were speaking for yourself, after all.

victor82 on July 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Yeah I got your link before I posted my comment. Wasn’t going for an insult. Just wanted highlight the stupidity, childishness, and ridiculousness of your comment which is why, I posted your quote first. Got it or do you need further explanation?

HerneTheHunter on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

She has always made it abundantly clear that she would support and work for the chosen nominee. I think you will find that Gov. Palin has a lot of respect for the will of the people and they chose Gov. Romney. As you know, since she is not universally respected, she may be holding back for the candidate to give her some instruction on how best she can help. No one but Gov. Romney has a “right” to speak at the convention but I agree with Ed, why not unite the party? It would be a novel approach.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You must be a heck of a lot of fun in more formal social settings.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Bet

you have your hand up your azz, trying to scratch your itch!

Danielvito on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

The lineup of Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, Sarah Palin, Rudy G, Scott Walker, Rubio…that alone would rock the world, conservatives, moderates, all covered, red meat, squishy tofu, you got it all and all great speakers and have great momentum…throw in a few others of your liking and the GOP rocks America.
Take one of of the first three or four out, and it begins to look like a contrived, controlled, message…it emulates the personality of Mitt.
You need a couple of lose canons, a couple of “hell raisers” for the MSM to bash and talk about…who does not remember the line “the difference between a pit bull and a….”, she rocked the convention…Rudy is an icon, Ryan concise in describing technical details, the only politician to make budgets interesting, Christie a warrior, Walker, a hero…these are the faces of the GOP, politicians, ex politician’s, journalists. All with a huge following and loyal supporters, and all Republicans.
Why would you want to exclude any of them?

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Moesart on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Bet

you have your hand up your azz, trying to scratch your itch!

Danielvito on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

wrote twice so you’ll understand it Mittbot scum!

Danielvito on July 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

To clarify, for those who are confused, my name is IN blue in the comment box below this statement. It is also not nswider, that is an abbreviation of my name. No my hair is not blue, one Halloween it was, but no time sense, lol.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Speaking of the much maligned Christine O’Donnell, one of the things that Gov. Romney has done that was probably hard and that I respected was that he not only donated to Ms. O’Donnell’s run but actually went to campaign for her. THAT was smart politics in my book. No matter what you thought of her, the people of Delaware had spoken and he respected it. He could do the same thing by having a meeting with Gov. Palin or letting her have a speaking slot. Such a no brainer.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I keep stating Paul Ryan, I mean Rand Paul…sheesh…

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

You must be a heck of a lot of fun in more formal social settings.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

The guy who, with almost every post, orders people to do something that he has already concluded they agree with…is judging my social attitude based on the fact that I use profanity.

Gold.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

MadCon is smart enough to adjust accordingly. His emphasis is okay with me, he is among friends.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Obama is floundering, Romney is in a good position.

What to do now? Bring Palin, the biggest disaster of recent political times back into the picture.

GREAT PLAN.

Moesart on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

HerneTheHunter on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

If you wanted to highlight the “stupidity” of the comment, why not then, address the actual comment? Hmm.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Listen, I don’t disagree with you. I don’t dislike Sarah Palin, I like her quite a bit actually. I respect her a great deal. But I think uniting the party needs to go both ways, Romney needs to reach out to her, but she has to reach out too if she wants the platform.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

You must be a heck of a lot of fun in more formal social settings.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

You should learn to embrace your adversaries, grasshopper…

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

We’ve certainly generated a lot of commentary over the last two days over what may be a nothingburger — the fact that Sarah Palin has yet to be invited to speak at the Republican National Convention in Tampa. As Rick Santorum told Jonathan Karl this week, no one has been invited to speak at the convention — at least not yet. – Ed

Thank you. What’s the next alleged slight du jour?
For Palin to even comment on this demonstrates her lack of savvy.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on July 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Moesart on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

No a great plan is to have you waterboarded!

Danielvito on July 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Gold.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM

So you’ll be voting for Romney then, whether he gives Palin a speaking slot or not?

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

And she hasn’t? You know this how?
She has already stated she would work with, and support whomever the nominee was…she already stated that she supports Romney…what other information do you have to the contrary?

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

[2nd. attempt at reply] As I was busy working as a grass roots volunteer during the Historic 2010 TEAnami I could have missed reports of that, so perhaps you would be kind enough to post links showing those efforts? You see, I tried and found nothing.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

You missed the point. He used profanity with me, not I with him, yet calls me an internet tough guy.

Profanity doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’m just making a point.

And I’ve always been respectful towards you, Cindy, despite the fact that we are not friends.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Thank you! I’ll get back to you after I’m done readint it.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ed, I wonder why you felt the need to post twice on this story, which is post-worthy, but didn’t see the need to post a story about Palin’s speech in Michigan, which by any standard was also post-worthy.

NoNails on July 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

[right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM]

As John Sununu would say, “Right2bright, you’re stuggling.”

The is a plethora of venues by which you can “speak” at the convention — speaking to that which brung ya; speaking to your state delegates at meetings, speaking to the platform committee members on what is important to you, speaking to media in interviews, booing and cheering from the cheap seats ….

That is different from the “speaking at the convention” we’ve been talking about for three threads now. J,M&J why can’t you stay on subject?

And no, just because you have an opinion and speak it out loud somewhere in the convention hall, it does not make it the “platform” or even a plank in the “platform”.

I agree with you that Palin, by her positions, represents the traditional GOP platform better than a lot of others in the Party and that she would be well qualified to speak. Also, by my first comment here, I (agreeing with Ed) think she should be given a slot, even a PT slot.

But none of that relates to my response to your comment, or for that matter, changes the fact that nswider’s point was sound and apt, a matter you conveniently, but obviously, ignore, by flying off on tangents.

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Now I remember, you’re the poster who gives the “Are you still beating your wives?” questions, as if anyone needs to answer your ridiculous question.

What was it? Something like this…I have asked this question for several days and cannot get the answer I need:

Do you believe in everything and do whatever Palin says, or are you an independent thinker that develops their own opinion and thinks Palin is stupid…take you time, choose one or the other.

Good grief…

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

You missed the point. He used profanity with me…

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Please point to the post where I used profanity with you. The post you quoted was not directed at anyone, but at a mindset in general. If you actually do have a mindset that is based on a blistering double standard, then yes, f**k you.

Meanwhile, you go right back to saying “Do this. Come on. You know you want to.” at the end of every post while whining about profanity.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Just a simple statement saying she endorses Romney would suffice for me, she still has not done it. Sarah Palin is a powerful person for a segment of the base that Romney struggles with and an enthusiastic endorsement from her would be a huge boost for him and she won’t do it. Why?? Listen she doesn’t have to, she can keep saying generic statements like “Obama must go” while not propping up Romney, its her right, but if I’m Romney I don’t reward that tepidness with a prime time address to the Country, I just don’t. Look I’m just giving my opinion here, Palin may very well speak at the convention, I’m just giving you my view for why the Romney folks are hesitant.

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I’m sure it isn’t as cut and dry as I make it seem but than it probably doesn’t have to be as hard as it appears either. But it is a great discussion and always fun.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I cannot compensate for stupidity, am sorry.

HerneTheHunter on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ok :)

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM

OK! Now I know why I missed that. You see, that story was reported on Nov. 2 and I was hip deep in obligations to get our candidates elected.

I like this:

As for his potential rivals for the 2012 nomination, Romney admits he does keep one eye on the likes of Sarah Palin. “I am always intrigued by the passion and energy of my fellow Republicans. You watch Sarah Palin, she brings such enthusiasm and excitement to a race,” Romney said.

He wasn’t fanning the air with a strainer with that comment as the results from 2010 prove.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I’ll be possibly voting for him if he doesn’t say anything further that is monumentally stupid. It will probably require the firing of Eric Fehrnstrom to make this happen.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Are you sure? Can you cite where you got that information, I think the RNC decides, with input from the presumptive nominee.
No doubt Mitt has a huge say, but I think the final is the RNC.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Agreed Cindy, its always fun to talk to you. Alright, enough procrastinating, back to work for me:)

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Tx. Didn’t know that.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

You answered a post directed at Cindy, but not the one directed at you.

I’ll try again.

Will you vote for Romney if Palin is denied a slot at the convention?

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

But we are not not friends either! I’m just point out that MadCon always cusses here. It’s his way of adding spice. Obviously not to everyone’s taste but I don’t think it is personal.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

enough procrastinating, back to work for me:)

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Ahhhh, working….. those were the days!

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

[ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM]

Well, neither have I, and my criticism here was that she shouldn’t have taken Newsweek’s bait and that her complaint, which was about what they were looking for.

And that’s why objected to your characterization of my position on Palin and my propensity for criticizing her. You didn’t know and jumped to conclusions.

Dusty on July 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

You answered a post directed at Cindy, but not the one directed at you.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Yes, because within that post, you falsely accused me of something. Deal with it, sweetheart.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Ah. I see there’s some dosagreement. I’ll wait to see where the dust settles. It seemed strange to me on the surface that Romney would be the one deciding since it’s at the convention that he’s actually given the official “mantle”, isn’t it?

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I’d settle with changing his duties to no camera face time. Oh, and not being a famous unnamed source for Politico. You know, “Shut Up”, she said.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

It isn’t. I take very little personally here. There have been a rare few that have speculated on my relationships and loved ones to a near-criminal extent, but apart from that, this is all blather.

You, however, have always been a person who deserves respect.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I’m sure she’ll endorse him by convention time. I can see it now, “I’m officially endorsing coughchoughMittcoughRomneycoughcough.”

Dongemaharu on July 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

nswider on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Your second sentence tells you all you need to know…he is the one struggling with conservatives, he is the one that needs to reach out to the conservatives, and he would receive her and others support.
But his refusal should tell you volumes about Mitt and his proposed policies.
How can she come outright and support a candidate that does not have conservative principles, until he endorses those policies?
You should be calling on him to adopt conservative policies, rather than for a conservative to adopt liberal/moderate policies….right?
Isn’t he the one that needs, as you say, the segment she represents or is a part of?
She doesn’t need him, it’s the other way around…I will say it again, Mitt has to realize at some time, that he works for us, not the other way around.
And Mitt supporters don’t get that.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Pops head in, avoids having it chopped off, looks around. Nice to see the team gelling. It will take us all to drag Mitts arse over the finish line. But drag we must. Hi Sarah; ) Bye. Go Team!!!

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I’d doubt if Palin would either sit at home or vote for Barky even if she doesn’t speak at the convention.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Honestly, I’d just rather see him eliminated from the team. Seriously, what has been going on this primary? Bachmann had Ed Rollins, Herman Cain had Mark Block, Romney has this idiot…it’s like a bad sitcom.

MadisonConservative on July 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Update: My old friend John Ziegler agrees with Dustin and disagrees with me.

Laughed pretty hard at that, not gonna lie.

Ziegler. Oy vey. He comes off as a jilted prom date. Junior high prom at that.

tdpwells on July 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM