Why Palin should speak at the Republican convention

posted at 8:41 am on July 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

We’ve certainly generated a lot of commentary over the last two days over what may be a nothingburger — the fact that Sarah Palin has yet to be invited to speak at the Republican National Convention in Tampa.  As Rick Santorum told Jonathan Karl this week, no one has been invited to speak at the convention — at least not yet.  There’s almost no doubt that Santorum will get a slot, having run second in delegates in the nomination race, and since he hasn’t received his slot yet, it’s fair to assume that those decisions haven’t quite been made yet.

Dustin took a lot of heat yesterday for suggesting that having Palin off the schedule might not be a bad idea:

I decided to keep an open mind prior to her 2008 GOP Convention speech, but afterwards was the only person in a roomful of conservative interns who thought it was merely decent. Everyone else was ecstatic about what she had said. I also watched part of her much-maligned Couric interview, but heard from my friend Adam Brickley — who as a college student helped launch Palin to the national spotlight — that I should not put much weight into what I saw there. I then spent the next two years reading her op-eds, watching her speak, and discussing the excitement many other young conservatives had for Palin and her future within the GOP, and realized I just didn’t think Palin added much to the conservative movement. Yes, she has her positive attributes, both personally and with regards to public policy. But between her unpopularity with the general public (yes, partially created and exacerbated by utterly dishonest media portrayals of Palin and her family, as well as completely hateful attacks on her by Paul Krugman and others after the Giffords shooting) and her lack of knowledge on issues outside of anti-corruption and energy policy, I think inviting her to speak at the convention would be a poor decision for the GOP.

Based on the reaction, one might have thought Dustin had called Ronald Reagan a Communist.  No one in politics is above criticism (just as no writers on politics are above criticism for their criticism), and when we treat people like they are, we get … Barack Obama, for one. A wise manual on life instructs us to put not our trust in princes, a handy axiom to keep in mind while working in politics.  Nothing Dustin wrote was mean-spirited or dishonest.

As it happens, I disagree with Dustin, but not exactly for the same reasons I saw in the comments yesterday.  I think the RNC needs to invite Sarah Palin to speak at the convention — and moreover, I think it would be bad manners to not invite her.  Four years ago, she took the slings and arrows for the party as John McCain’s running mate.  That should at least earn her the respect of her party, even from those who may not want to back her as a candidate for office now or in the future.  What does it say about the party if we can’t fit the previous #2 banner-carrier somewhere in four evenings of speeches?

The convention isn’t exactly an exclusive club, after all — and neither is the Republican Party.  This isn’t the Tea Party Convention, nor the Moderates Convention, nor the Establishment Convention, nor the Paleo-Cons Convention.  It’s the Republican National Convention, and it is supposed to unite all of the various factions and philosophies within the Big Tent of the GOP as we head into a tough fight for the White House, Congress, and all of the state races.  Palin’s obvious influence and appeal to grassroots voters makes her (separately from the above argument) a must-have for the four-day event.  By the same token, we also need to have Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, and Santorum in prime speaking slots, as they put their lives on hold and garnered significant support for their candidacies, and their supporters need to be united under the same Republican banner, too.

Herman Cain should speak … mostly because Herman Cain is one of the best orators in the conservative movement.  In fact, can we get him two speaking slots?

Nor should those be the only featured speakers.  Let’s hear from Chris Christie and Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio and Sam Brownback, Kay Bailey Hutchison and Brian Sandoval, and Susan Collins and John McCain, too.  I don’t agree with any of these people 100% of the time — well, maybe DeMint and Rubio — but I agree with them enough for their contribution to matter.  They each speak to constituencies we need to reach in this election, even when we don’t see eye to eye.

Conventions are about unity, and they’re also long enough to fit practically everyone who wants to appear.  I’m looking forward to hearing Palin and Cain fire up the grassroots, DeMint and Paul remind us of the need to limit government power, Gingrich to hammer critics of the party, and Mitt Romney to unite everyone under one banner for the final ten weeks of the campaign.  Let’s start working on that unity now.

Update: My old friend John Ziegler agrees with Dustin and disagrees with me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

My old friend John Ziegler agrees with Dustin and disagrees with me.

I’ll stick with you on this Ed. The other two are leftists.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 4:27 PM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

They’re misinformed if they think Rubio should be #2. I’m from FL. More and more I do not like the guy.

Just this week I think he was not on the list of the senators who oppose LOST. IMO he’s a political opportunist who dresses up his oratory in conservative appeals, but he doesn’t walk it.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Dustin is just kind of young.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM

By the way even liberals like Roger Ebert are chiding Romney. You know how weak Romney looks with this stunt when even people like Ebert taunt him over it.

promachus

Interesting. Have you gotten Nancy Pelosi’s perspective on this yet? Because we all know if anyone has our best interests in mind, it’s liberals.

xblade on July 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The left leaning Tea Party Express?

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Sure looks like it.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

promachus on July 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

What? A nobody liberal is chiding Romney? Actually chiding him?
Is that even legal?
OMG, a liberal chiding our Republican candidate, never heard of such a thing…quick, call Mitt tell him Roger Ebert is chiding him.
HAHAHAHAHA!!! That was a funny sarcastic post you made, it has to be sarcastic because nobody is that stupid to post something like you did seriously….next time use the /s tag, so people won’t think you are really that stupid.

right2bright on July 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Just this week I think he was not on the list of the senators who oppose LOST.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM

For realz? He opposes LOST? I’m going to have to check that one.

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I don’t think he was on the list DeMint had. I’d like to be wrong on this.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM

For realz? He opposes LOST? I’m going to have to check that one.

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

No, I believe he was not on the list of those who do oppose LOST. He should have been.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I like Pawlenty. I think he’s got what it takes, he’s quick, personable, and he’s very talented as an executive and a campaigner.

Romney/Pawlenty 2012 Has a nice ring to it.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Not to anybody outside the Northeast.

kingsjester on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I don’t know why my previous post didn’t show up about Sarah Palin, so here goes again:

SARAH PALIN HAS NOT ENDORSED ROMNEY, right?

She endorsed Gingrich in the primary as did her husband.

Since then, Palin has refused to endorse Mitt Romney.

Why then should she get a speaking spot at the NOMINATING CONVENTION FOR ROMNEY?

Both Gingrich and Santorum have endorsed Romney.

As far as I know, Ron Paul has not; he doesn’t deserve a speaking spot either then.

You see, this is ROMNEY’s NOMINATION.

It’s not about Palin’s agenda, or personal appeal. It’s not about Ron Paul’s policy positions. It’s about NOMINATING MITT ROMNEY as the GOP candidate for President. He won. It’s HIS CONVENTION, not Palin’s. Not Paul’s.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Pawlenty’s from the midwest you moron.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Pawlenty’s from the midwest you moron.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

And Schwarzenegger is from California, but he mostly appeals to Northeast Rino’s and Democrats.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 5:06 PM

She endorsed Gingrich in the primary

She did no such thing. ‘Bots and libs both have truth problems, it appears.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I agree. Let him win on his own.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I know, Moby. My comment stands as stated. People in the Heartland don’t know Pawlenty…and if they have listened to him, they thank him for the nap.

kingsjester on July 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Romney/Pawlenty 2012 Has a nice ring to it.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM

So does “Methaqualone”.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I am wrong on this one. That’s a relief

INC on July 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

That is a relief. I worded my post wrong anyway spazzing about him “Opposing LOST”. I wanted him to oppose it but you caught my drift. Maybe you’re wrong about the other reasons you don’t like him. :)

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

You see, this is ROMNEY’s NOMINATION.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

No Sh*t Sherlock. And as the NOMINEE it is his job
to go around the country mending fences where needed,
and convening with those who are already on board.
THAT’S WHAT REPUBLICAN NOMINEES DO DINGBAT!

That’s what John McCain did 4 years ago, get over yourself.

ToddPA on July 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Sarah Palin Deserves to Deliver Game Changer Speech at GOP Convention

Winning the presidency has a lot more to do with the charisma of the leader than it does with the policies that are brought to the American dinner table. Just look at the last sorrowful example the country was saddled with in 2008 with the current president. Now there is reportedly, current intrigue moving about in the backrooms of GOP political leadership within Romney’s campaign concerning Sarah Palin. It is suggested that Romney is sitting pat on the idea of not issuing Sarah Palin VIP credentials to the August RNC Convention in Tampa, let alone giving her any real speaking role.

Read more at…

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

She endorsed Gingrich in the primary
She did no such thing.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Well true but she was behind Todd working the gears to make his mouth move.

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Read more at…

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Honestly, she’s better off not being connected with yet another squish trainwreck.

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Well true but she was behind Todd working the gears to make his mouth move.

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Sorta like Ed Gillespie’s working Mitt’s gears?

ddrintn on July 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM

SARAH PALIN HAS NOT ENDORSED ROMNEY, right?

She endorsed Gingrich in the primary as did her husband.

Since then, Palin has refused to endorse Mitt Romney.

Both Gingrich and Santorum have endorsed Romney.

You see, this is ROMNEY’s NOMINATION.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

When are you whacked out liberals ever going to get your
facts straight? The answer is “never” because the facts don’t
fit your narrative. Therefore, you make things up.

Sarah Palin never endorsed Gingrich or anyone else.
And if you don’t know why the first female vice presidential
candidate in the republican party’s history should be invited to speak at the convention then you don’t have a brain.

It is about class; Romney and his team have none and apparently
neither do you.

It is about brains; Romney needs conservatives to have a reason
to vote for him, not just ABO.

So Romney is giving the prime speaking position to a “fat f**k”
who yells at people, who is a pseudo conservative. And ignores
the real conservative. Not too smart. And we are taking notice.

Amjean on July 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

No, but that’s for another time.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Well true but she was behind Todd working the gears to make his mouth move.

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Another lie from a whacked out liberal.

Amjean on July 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM

We can’t have anybody showing up the nominee, doncha know. All speakers must be even duller than the Mittster.

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

It’s called the Republican National Convention, not the Romney National Convention. The nominating process lasts about an hour. The convention last four days.

NoNails on July 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM

mountainaires
on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Mitt won, and should be nominated as the Republican candidate for POTUS.
But the convention IS NOT MITTS !

It’s the Republicans.

listens2glenn on July 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I am wrong on this one. That’s a relief

INC on July 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Buttercup on July 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Hey, nobody’s perfect.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Except me.

listens2glenn on July 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

The left leaning Tea Party Express?

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I’ve never thot of them as left leaning. Followed all they did during 2009/2010 and appeared to me they supported Conservatives.

The Tea Party Patriots are the ones that Bachmann met with behind closed doors with her TP Caucus in the House.

Dick Armey’s Freedom Works in my opinion sometimes back the wrong Candidate.

Do you think something has changed with TP Express? I may have missed something:-)

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Herman Cain should speak … mostly because Herman Cain is one of the best orators in the conservative movement. In fact, can we get him two speaking slots?

Nor should those be the only featured speakers. Let’s hear from Chris Christie and Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio and Sam Brownback, Kay Bailey Hutchison and Brian Sandoval, and Susan Collins and John McCain, too.

There’s a lot of pro and con about having Sarah Palin speak, but most definitely keep Ron Paul off the dais–would he have ANYTHING good to say about Romney or the Republican Party?

Herman Cain might not be a good idea either, given all the accusations against him of groping women. If we want a black speaker, why not Rep. Allen West?

I’m not sure Susan Collins would add much either–if we want a female New England Senator, wouldn’t the up-and-coming Kelly Ayotte be a better choice? Or how about a female Governor, such as Susana Martinez (NM), Nikki Haley (SC), or Jan Brewer (AZ)?

Steve Z on July 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

There are lots of speaking slots at the convention. There are VERY FEW prime time slots.

NO ONE is “entitled” to a prime time slot.

On the subject of Tea Party groups, TPP, TPX, FW, etc. are NOT “the Tea Party.” Nobody elected them. They each appointed themselves to try and use the Tea Party name for their own purposes. Those purposes may be very good, or not, but they have NOTHING to do with the Tea Party as a grassroots movement.

These are all PRIVATE groups who raise and spend money for their own reasons and are accountable only to themselves.

Adjoran on July 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Because we all know if anyone has our best interests in mind, it’s liberals.

xblade on July 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

So THAT is why so many want to go vote for Mr. Individual Mandate. It is because the liberal has our best interests at heart. /s

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I cannot speak from direct experience about that group, but I DO KNOW the GOP keeps trying to infiltrate the TEA Party groups on the South West side of Michigan.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM

But the convention IS NOT MITTS !

It’s the Republicans.

listens2glenn on July 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Don’t tell that to the GOP or they will find a way to silence you the way they silenced Ron Paul’s delegates.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM

It is about class; Romney and his team have none and apparently
neither do you.

It is about brains; Romney needs conservatives to have a reason
to vote for him, not just ABO.

So Romney is giving the prime speaking position to a “fat f**k”
who yells at people, who is a pseudo conservative. And ignores
the real conservative. Not too smart. And we are taking notice.

Amjean on July 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Very Well Done! [tips hat]

For those who don’t know about the “fat f**k”:

Chris Christie supporter of gun control, amnesty, Obamacare and climate legislation

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM

That’s the mistake we made in 2008. Palin made McCain look like a dull butter knife. But duller then Romney is setting the bar pretty low.

smokinjoe on July 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I didn’t trust John Ziegler when he was backing Palin. Now I know why.

smokinjoe on July 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM

How many passes will pMSNBC be giving to Madea Benjamin this year?

SouthernGent on July 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Unsubstantiated? There’s a book by one of her advisors documenting the participation in crony capitalism by members of both parties. Denny Hastert and a land deal in Plano, Il., is on the list, if memory serves.
wolfsDad on July 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Denny Hastert? Wow, that’s really topical and germane as we approach Romney’s nomination and the GOP convention./

Buy Danish on July 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I don’t even like Palin, as is well known around here.
Still, to hell with all of you who try to shut people up for telling the truth.
The right is as culpable, often more culpable for what ails the land.
The right is often creepier than the left in their deceipt and quest for power. I resent DC in almost its entirety and have not hear Mitt fight against it. I resent Boehner and McConnell and all the creeps like them. That includes McCain and Ms. Lindsey, Lugar and the others.
Mitt has not proven to have a couple, not to speak of steely ones.
You and yours can go on all you want. There is more to fixing the land than getting Obama out, which is TOP priority.
Multi-thread – is is a god-given possibility for the right, alas.
Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

First – my complaint with Palin (as I have repeatedly documented) is her non-specific, veiled innuendo. I’m beyond fed up with this tactic. Next, to say the right is more culpable than the Left is absurd. The Democrat Party has essentially become the Gangster Party. You cannot possibly make that charge against the GOP. Are they faultless? Of course not. For better or worse, I admire McConnell in particular. As for Mitt not having steel balls, your comment could not be more poorly timed and out of touch.

Buy Danish on July 18, 2012 at 6:49 PM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Oh, yes I know many in the GOP and also the Dems dislike the TP groups and the movement itself. I think tho that anyone new joining would be recognized quickly if they didn’t seem to be on board. Trust is important within any organization & much more so when it’s political.

My experience with the TP Express came during 2009 when I worked with a like minded group of Patriots online against Obamacare. I had signed up to TP Express and received emails and info on their bus tours and which Conservative Candidates they were supporting. In my opinion they are the #1 group.

Anyone can see their About/Leadership/2010 & 2011 Endorsements on their site. They also have a few 2012 Endorsements by State up now. The Leadership info is there also, when they started up and why.

I think most people would be surprised at how much they do for the Conservative Cause.

I received an email from Gov. Kasich about signing up to make calls on Romney’s behalf tomorrow and will try to do that. Our County Republican Party has been much more active in the last few years also.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Except me.

listens2glenn on July 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM

:-)

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM

i have studied Sarah for these past 4 years. Her intellect far surpasses mine or anyone i have known.

…Her mind is always working, always analyzing.

renalin on July 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

We neither want nor need Sarah Palin at the nominating convention. Americans of all political ideologies have had enough of Palin’s efforts to continue extending her 15 minutes of fame. The country has taken a look at Palin and, though people many agree with her on the issues, has rightly deemed her a divisive, self-interested, incompetent, unqualified bore.

She’s a boring public speaker who only ever says anything worthwhile when she is reading scripts handed to her. Besides the handful of gullible, empty-headed shut-ins like the spammers on this site who post endless blather in these Palin threads in order to increase the comment count, the only people who want Sarah at the convention are Obama supporters who know that she hurts conservatives and the Republican Party more than she helps. National laughingstock Sarah Palin, whose most memorable act in her career was to resign in disgrace before even completing a single term in office, must not ever again been seen as the face of conservatism or the Republican Party.

Queen Quitter Sarah, who laughably endorsed Newt Gingrich, of all people, during the primary campaign, has been working to undercut support for our Republican nominee.

As someone who supported and defended Palin in 2008 and who wants Obama defeated this November, I say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH to Palin. NO MORE.

Hey, Sarah! Despite what you think, you’re not the center of the conservative political universe.

bluegill on July 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Adjoran on July 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I can’t speak for FW or TPP, but the Tea Party Express would be accountable to their supporters.

I think if you took the time to read the TP Express info, you’d perhaps have a better opinion. This is the only TP Organization that I trust.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

bluegill on July 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Hey bluegill, Only Conservatives love Sarah Palin. That leaves you out so we don’t expect anything from you anyway. Isn’t SP Haters.com open for you?

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Hey bluegill, Only Conservatives love Sarah Palin.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Most conservatives tolerate Palin up to a point, but we don’t want this woman representing us. She’s not exactly one of our brightest conservative lights. Give me a Paul Ryan or a Marco Rubio or even Michele Bachmann any day over this attention-seeking, incompetent woman Sarah Palin. No one except for her brainwashed groupies take Sarah Palin seriously anymore. We would support her if the alternative is Obama, OF COURSE, but we shouldn’t be holding her up as any kind of great leader.

A great way to win points from voters would be to reject Palin and to refuse to give her the RNC convention attention she so desperately craves. Liberals would go crazy, of course, because they want a prominent Sarah Palin to run against, but nearly all conservatives would be quietly and privately applauding the move. We are sick of Palin representing us, and though many probably don’t feel comfortable saying it outloud, conservatives and the Republican Party are better off WITHOUT an unpopular and almost universally mocked buffoon like Sarah Palin out there front and center.

bluegill on July 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

She endorsed Gingrich in the primary as did her husband.

Since then, Palin has refused to endorse Mitt Romney.

mountainaires on July 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Agreed 100%.

Palin is all about Palin. She is not entitled to a primetime speaking slot. Um, she’s a reality tv show star and a political “analyst” on cable who never says anything intelligent or interesting. Let her continue to “analyze” the events at the convention. If anyone cares what she has to say (and most don’t), they can “TiVo” some of her guest appearances on cable news that month.

bluegill on July 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

That’s because John “Frank Bailey” Zeigler is still in meltdown that Palin didn’t hire him for $300 per hour to be her chief advisor (and probably lover).

God, he is a complete *ss.

KirknBurker on July 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

bluegill on July 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Bluegill,

Nobody here really believes for a second that you are a conservative.

Why do you keep spouting nonsense like that?

KirknBurker on July 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Read more at…

idesign on July 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

This doesn’t surprise me as the Establishment Republicans selected Romney and their approval of not only who will be speaking at the Convention, but who they support as VP must be sought. It’s all about the “good old boys” as Palin has pointed out.

Palin has always been “bi-partisan” in her criticizms. It should be a well known fact the GOP have been against Palin/Tea Parties/Conservatives. They love there “seats of power” the same as the Dems and they certainly don’t want anyone taking that away.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Bluegill,

Nobody here really believes for a second that you are a conservative.

Why do you keep spouting nonsense like that?

KirknBurker on July 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

That’s what obots do. They mimic their supporters, paid or unpaid.
Sarah Palin brings out the hate(effect)due to fear(cause) for Dems & Repubs alike. That’s what you see here being expressed.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM

where’s the infamous “joana” the avid romney supporter. once roberts stabbed us in the back, she was gone. mission accomplished. the mittsters accuse us of helping obama, all he while their ranks are filled with obamas minions.

renalin on July 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Bluegill is a Moby Mittenista.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Bluegill, you are as far from being a Conservative, as the East is from the West.

kingsjester on July 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Bluegill is a Moby Mittenista.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

It took me a minute until I could pronounce that:-)

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Jim DeMint said he’d love to see Sarah Palin have a speaking spot at the Convention. Greta was asking him if the Tea Party should be represented, i.e. a speaker.

Good for Jim DeMint. He also spoke of House member Jim Jordan of Ohio. Now he is a great Conservative and I’d love to see him speak also. He’s a hard worker,on the order of Rand Paul.

Now how is Romney going to say no to Mr. Conservative about Sarah?
(being Jim DeMint)

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Sorry Ed but your old friend Ziegler belongs in a straight jacket in a padded room.

I do agree with you. No matter what faction everyone belongs too, the convention is about unity and we need everyone together united to beat Obama in November. Palin should definitely speak. She has earned that right and she holds influence over a large voting block of the GOP.

Firelight on July 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Here’s a surefired way to force Mitt Romney to give Sarah Palin a speaking spot at the convention.

All the married conservative Republican women tell their husbands they will not have sex with them until Sarah Palin is given a speaking spot at the convention.

Do you think Mitt Romney and gang might receive a flood of e-mails telling them to reverse course?

technopeasant on July 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Very, very good! You are a true Patriot and should be proud.

Your efforts will be a big help in getting Romney elected while the couch potatoes do nothing except get moldy.

DannoJyd on July 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM

… but we don’t want this woman representing us…

bluegill on July 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Wow, so the idiot just went from a rabid liberal to a multiple-personality disorder rabid liberal, no other way to explain WE in the post.

So, so how many of you does Manchurian represent?

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Ed, I’m hoping you forgot your sarc tag, cuz admitting that Ziegler is “an old friend” does nothing for your conservative cred.

tencole on July 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Cut him a break. Ziegler only gets creepy when he starts acting suspiciously like a spurned lover groupie.

tom on July 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Come on, Palinistas! Admit that you want Palin to run third party. Admit that you want to punish the Republican Party for taking TruCons for granted all these years. Enough of this “I’ll hold my nose and vote for Willard”, or “I’ll vote for Mittens, and after I’ve finished puking…” passive aggressive nonsense. Admit that you want Mittens to lose.

Admit it, you’ll feel better.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Based on Palin’s actual words about there only being two parties in the country, and her actions in campaigning exclusively for Republicans in 2010, I’d say you’re fixating on an implausible conspiracy theory.

I’ll grant I’d be in favor of Mitt losing. He doesn’t look like much of a leader, he splits hairs to incredible fineness to finesse his way around saying anything unpopular, and I get the distinct impression he’d far rather get good press from the NYT than have a winning political coalition that included icky conservatives.

But Mitt losing means Obama winning, so we’ll just have to try to make a silk purse out of the sow’s ear.

tom on July 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

technopeasant on July 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I think that would work:-)

bluefox on July 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Very, very good! You are a true Patriot and should be proud.

DannoJyd on July 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Thanks, I try. I keep the family up to date too. From reading your posts, you’ve been at this a lot longer than I have. During 2009, my fax machine/phone/emails went almost 10 or more hours a day. Worked with a group online. We were organized and shared info. I think I started being somewhat active in 2007 but almost full time in early 2009. Remembering those days and laughing as I’d have the TV on, c-span, the fax going and printer & radio:-)Oh, and the forum too. Crazy time!!

bluefox on July 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM

It’s cute how Mittbots turn this to Palin. It’s also cute that HA won’t link to John Mccain’s statement that he chose Palin because she was a better candidate than Romney. That’s what it comes down to. Palin is not being invited because Palin beat Romney to the veepstakes in 2008. Ever since, Mittens has been using his surrogates to diminish her standing. He seems to be obsessed that Palin got the nod not him.

What was the biggest talking point this year? Palin was a bad veep candidate. Where did it originate from? Ed Gillespie. Who is he? Romney campaign higher up official. See? Romney’s team attacked Palin more than Obama this year and it all seems to point to 2008 veep selection.

As soon as they locked in nomination, this campaign seems to go all out on the meme on how Palin was not vetted( not true), how Palin brought Mccain down( not true) and how Romney is going to choose an anti-Palin to be his veep. It’s as if he has an inner demon which won’t let him go. This is frankly juvenile and immature.

Even if Palin has to be kept away, there’s no point in rehashing 2008 is there? The Mittbots claim that they don’t want Palin because they don’t want voters to be reminded of 2008 and yet they can’t help bringing themselves to remind themselves of 2008.

And now, when Romney should be the leader of the party and unite various factions, he’s alienating the biggest block of voters there is in the party.

promachus on July 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I can’t argue with any of that. I don’t know if it’s obsession, or fear that Palin might steal his spot (but that seems most likely.)

It continues to amaze me how much the RINO Republicans react just like the left. Both seem to hate Palin for all they’re worth.

tom on July 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Oh no you don’t. Not to Sarah. 667

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Just to be sure.668

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Fine. You don’t want to change the number on the home page. 669

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

The butter buyer now has another reason for not liking Palin.

“Always with the evoluton, Moriarty, always with the evolution”…

Gohawgs on July 19, 2012 at 5:06 AM

A faikure to include Palin as a convention speaker would be a slap in the face to conservatives and tea partyites by a nominee whose support among these two groups is tepid at best.Romney will get the votes of this demographic only because his opponent is a socialist hell-bent on destroying America.That said many of us will either stay home or not actively support Romney if there are any blatant snubs or clearly squishy policy decisions made by the least conservative nominee we could get.

redware on July 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

tom on July 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

There is no difference between RINOs and liberals, maybe just a level of stupidity.

And Palin is definitely a threat to both groups.

Remember, “Papa John built Papa John’s pizza”.

riddick on July 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

kingsjester on July 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

bluegill doesn’t fall within the 40% of Americans who are Conservative and define Conservatism exactly as you and I do.

Foxhound on July 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM

She does reek of rotting fish however. Perfume?

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Why is it that people from across the ocean get it while Romney supporters keep their heads buried in the sand? I thought Americans were smarter than that:

Why Romney has to invite Palin to the Republican convention

Romney thought this was a good moment to explain to Politico that tax irregularities uncovered in the vetting process had not been the reason McCain passed on Romney for his choice. It was simply that Palin had been a “better candidate“.

Pearls of wisdom from the Mitt man himself.

DannoJyd on July 20, 2012 at 6:28 AM

bluefox on July 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM

That is how I started out here in Michigan sans the fax machine and with Fox news on. Our phone service out here amongst the cows and chickens is up to about 1960 standards today, and that is after they replaced our phone lines!

Do keep up the great work. You are leading the way for the unenthused couch warmers who will be the grass roots volunteers and political candidates of tomorrow.

DannoJyd on July 20, 2012 at 6:40 AM