Surprise: TSA hasn’t held court-ordered public hearings on scanners, junk-touching

posted at 9:21 pm on July 18, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

As an occasional-to-frequent flier, I was pretty attuned to the news story in 2010 when the Transportation Security Administration suddenly decided that letting them see naked pictures of you or put their hands in your pants was a prerequisite to flight. I enjoyed the public backlash if for no other reason than it was refreshing to see a bunch of citizens draw a line with the federal government, thereby making other apolitical citizens at least think about what rights they should reasonably give up when walking into a screening line. So often, these things go unremarked upon.

These days, as the backscatter machines become more prevalent, I opt out. It’s not so much for any worries about the backscatters, though I don’t think they or their operators should be blindly trusted, as it is a desire that the TSA agent involved suffer the slight delay and humiliation that comes with a public feeling up along with me. That, and I’ve discovered that if you opt out, because you’re not technically done with your screening process, the TSA agent intent on groping you has to carry your bags and bins for you to the screening area. It seems like the least they can do, and I like a little valet with my TSA.

Now, it’s been more than a year since the uproar over the scanners. At the time, the Electronic Privacy Information Center went to court demanding that the government be blocked from using the scanners, on constitutional grounds. A federal appeals court rejected the constitutional arguments 3-0, but also said the TSA violated federal law when it implemented new search guidelines without a public comment period and public hearings. The TSA argued it didn’t have to do public comments or hearings because it’s reacting to evolving threats. From a Wired report on the court’s ruling:

Judge Douglas Ginsburg, writing for the majority, said the TSA must allow for the 90-day notice-and-comment period because of the new “substantive obligations” on airline passengers.

“It is clear that by producing an image of the unclothed passenger, an AIT scanner intrudes upon his or her personal privacy in a way a magnetometer does not. Therefore, regardless whether this is a ‘new substantive burden,’ the change substantively affects the public to a degree sufficient to implicate the policy interests animating notice-and-comment rulemaking, Ginsburg wrote.

“Indeed, few if any regulatory procedures impose directly and significantly upon so many members of the public. Not surprisingly, therefore, much public concern and media coverage have been focused upon issues of privacy, safety, and efficacy, each of which no doubt would have been the subject of many comments had the TSA seen fit to solicit comments upon a proposal to use AIT for primary screening.”

The court ordered the TSA to do a public comment period and hearings “promptly.”

A year later, the government has yet to hold those hearings. And the appellate court has twice denied motions from the Electronic Privacy Information Center, which brought the case, to order the TSA to get going.

The TSA did start displaying outlines of passengers instead of the more explicit pictures it was formerly seeing.

A Cato Institute scholar has started a WhiteHouse.gov petition to get a White House response on TSA’s feet-dragging. It takes 25,000 signatures to compel a White House response, according to, well, the White House (for whatever that’s worth). Sign onto it if you’d like to try to make them answer. Though I suspect there’s a problematic correlation between those who are suspicious of body scanners and those who do not wish to “create an account” on a White House website.

Now, think back to every TSA outrage you’ve heard about in the past year— the tiny children terrorized, the elderly women decolostomized— and remember the federal agency’s constant refrain: “Trust us. Our consummately professional screeners are just here to keep you safe.”

Then, there’s this. No comment.

A silly flashback video to my ire of the time:

Comments

25K signatures to ‘get the WH to respond’…..the hell you say.

make it 250K and they’ll still shrug it off.

ted c on July 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

you didn’t just touch that junk on your own, somebody got you the opportunity to touch that junk.

ted c on July 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

heh! I can’t believe you linked to that story MKH!

ted c on July 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

The TSA is still strip-searching crippled, cancer-stricken grannies, and groping 4-year olds trying to board planes with their parents. Meanwhile they’ve allowed 25 illegal aliens to get flight training in a flight school owned by . . . an illegal alien.

AZCoyote on July 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM

…prolly won’t be any trolls on this thread…they got no junk to touch!

KOOLAID2 on July 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Keep your d*mn dirty Progressive paws
off my shiny,clean junk!!
(sarc).

canopfor on July 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM

It’s not sexual assault if it’s the government that does it.

slickwillie2001 on July 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

MKH, I am glad you are posting at HotAir. I like the fact that you are young, because I think young people are conservatives for different reasons than the older generations. It also gives the possibility that maybe the bloggers won’t always agree on every issue which makes the topics more fun.

ArkyDore on July 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Me thinks,I need a smoke,after watching that,haha!

canopfor on July 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

The Gropestapo doesn’t answer to anybody!

VorDaj on July 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM

There is a simple explanation for this. Obama is completely devoid of empathy for any other human being. The dude won’t even help out the unions in WI or speak at that NAACP convention. These are the people who put him in power. If he won’t piss on them to put out a fire, how do you think he feels about the average citizen?

Kataklysmic on July 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Get on a plane? No way. Unless it’s my own.

Corporal Tunnel on July 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

If you like your junk..
You can keep your junk..

Just as ZZTop once sang…

“TSA been bad, TSA been good,
Dallas, Texas, Hollywood.
TSA man ain’t askin’ for much.
TSA man said, Lord, take it all off,
I’m just lookin’ for some junk.”

Electrongod on July 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Kataklysmic on July 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Even his own brother still living in a hut in Kenya.

VorDaj on July 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Maybe Junk Touching should be an Olympic sport. TSA-style only. Egyptian protestor junk touching would get you immediately disqualified.

RBMN on July 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM

TSA man said, Lord, take it all off,
I’m just lookin’ for some junk.”

Electrongod on July 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Electrongod:Lol:)

canopfor on July 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

“Nekkid…!”

Seven Percent Solution on July 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM

ArkyDore on July 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Speaking as a young person, I’m glad they finally have a talented and insightful “young” blogger on HA. Wayy better than that other young blogger who ended up getting an awesome promotion to working at some policy group no ones heard of in some state that no one cares about… oklahoma or wherever.

Timin203 on July 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

we can be confident that we will die of old age after a lifetime of careful groping……

ted c on July 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Of course! Big Sis is untouchable… until November, that is.

ultracon on July 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Don’t scan me bro.

Don’t grope me bro.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Second thing…. if you are a groper on the NY subway, they will throw your butt in jail! TSA does the same thing and gets away with it!!

ultracon on July 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Thanks, TSA, for allowing 25 illegal aliens to enroll in a flight school…a school owned by an illegal alien.

Illegal aliens had nothing to do with 9/11, right?

itsnotaboutme on July 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Amazing that we put up with this …

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

ArkyDore on July 18, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Timin203 on July 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Timin, be nice.
How do you guys know Allahpundit isn’t a high school senior?

itsnotaboutme on July 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

ted c on July 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Lolz, good one.

Someone made those nifty gloves, someone sewed those gubmint uniforms, someone taught you how to humiliate elderly women…

4Grace on July 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

O/T…

Senate Democrats — holding firm against extending tax cuts for the rich — are proposing a novel way to circumvent the Republican pledge not to vote for any tax increase: Allow all the tax cuts to expire Jan. 1, then vote on a tax cut for the middle class shortly thereafter.

This is smart politics. It forces the GOP to vote for what the Democrats want or vote against a middle class tax cut.

The Republicans are playing with gentlemen rules and the Democrats are using any weapon at hand.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

The court ordered the TSA..

…there’s the problem! Only the masses have to obey court orders in JugEar’s America…if you want government entities to obey the law…you have to ‘OCCUPY’ them!

KOOLAID2 on July 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM

MKH:

I really enjoyed the disembodied cat tail (what is it with bloggers and cats?) at the end of your video.

Meric1837 on July 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

… as it is a desire that the TSA agent involved suffer the slight delay and humiliation that comes with a public feeling up along with me.

That is exactly why I keep all my feeling ups private, but it does lead to delay, in the good sense. ;-)

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

If they really want to make flying the friendly skies safe for everyone, I guess they could make everyone strip and give them an anal cavity search. Let’s make sure there are no risks in life after all.

Reggie1971 on July 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Oneof my favorite HotAir quote, and I wish I remembered who posted it:

“The Left is at war with the Right
and the Right thinks it’s having a political discussion”.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Amazing that we put up with this …

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I no longer do.

Started 4 yrs ago to drive my family all trips within 8 hrs. This year driving our 1,000+ mile trip instead of subjecting my family to the patdowns, bodyscans, and subjective family separations from our friendly TSA. Not the only reason to give up flying, but one of many.

mdenis39 on July 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

“The Left is at war with the Right
and the Right thinks it’s having a political discussion”.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Very accurate, and its why we lose so often.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

mdenis39 on July 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I refuse to fly as well.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Given the option between a one in “I don’t know how many thousands” chance that a terrorist will be on the plane, and getting groped….

I’ll take the former option.

Reggie1971 on July 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Reggie1971 on July 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’ve seen this coming and I’ve been buying stock in rubber-glove companies for months now. Just my luck they’ll decide to reuse them.

slickwillie2001 on July 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

mdenis39 on July 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

If we had any backbone we’d shut the airlines down before we submitted to this outrage.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Very accurate, and its why we lose so often.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Often? In the last 32 years, we won the WH in 1980, 1984, 1988, 2000, and 2004. They won in 1992, 1996, and 2008. That’s 5 of 8 presidential elections, over 60%. And, that doesn’t include the absolute wipe out of them in 2010, up and down the ballot, when the Right finally decided to go to war.

And, why we need to go to war this year, like never before. The time for debate is over, it should be now be about wiping the left from the face of the earth, not just winning.

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

When all this idiocy started, I gave up flying unless absolutely compelled to for my job. And we took the kids to Disney World last summer from Texas … we drove.

toby11 on July 18, 2012 at 10:20 PM

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

What you call a victory isn’t what most conservatives call a victory. We haven’t rolled back government in decades. The entitlements just keep getting larger and more numerous and the out of control spending keeps on being bankrolled.

That’s Charlie Sheen’s idea of ‘winning’.

You are talking about the Red Jersey Team getting their turn to chow down at the public trough and most of us could care less about that.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM

This just screams for tthe Zucker brothers to make an Airplane! sequel.

socalcon on July 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Mark Steyn puts it this way, TXUS:

Republicans are often in office but seldom in power. What they end up doing is presiding over vast infrastuctures of Progressive initiatives.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Don’t scan me bro.

Don’t grope me bro.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM

There’s an idea.

Find Andrew Myers and create some political ads with him saying just that to some TSA people.

That would make a great political ad.

: )

listens2glenn on July 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Did you not see what else I wrote?

… And, that doesn’t include the absolute wipe out of them in 2010, up and down the ballot, when the Right finally decided to go to war.

And, why we need to go to war this year, like never before. The time for debate is over, it should now be about wiping the left from the face of the earth, not just winning.

Please don’t quote me out of context again.

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Mark Steyn puts it this way, TXUS:

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Can’t disagree, and why my call to arms to use this election to wipe the Left off the face of our little place on earth. Yes, Romney isn’t perfect in this respect, but there are candidates up and down the ballot where we can have an effect, and we can not survive if Obama gets another 4, period, Romney or not.

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Please don’t quote me out of context again.

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

You called the previous years victories, and they weren’t, and that certainly isn’t going to change with Romney who is worse than HW Bush.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I like the sentiment,TXUS, but I really only see a few who exhibit that they share them and none of them are running for office.

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

TXUS on July 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

So why are we on the precipice of marxist socialism? Actually, we’re over the precipice and we need a strong arm to pull us back over the cliff.

Red Creek on July 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

reminds me of a line in “The Hunger Games” (the book, not the movie)where Katniss Everdeen quips that, in District 12, the people are allowed to starve to death in complete and utter safety within the confines of the electrical wire fences surrounding it.

/comparisons.

ted c on July 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Not even a week in and she goes out with a whimper. HotAir needs to drop the pretense that it’s a conservative, limited government site that has even the most basic understanding of the Constitution and our rights.

Dante on July 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Cleombrotus on July 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Why would you go after the airlines instead of shutting down government???

Odd.

Dante on July 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM

The “Government” isn’t going to do a damned thing until people revolt and REFUSE TO FLY.

Money talks, or in this case, the lack of getting it out of the public. The public doesn’t fly. Planes don’t take off. Planes don’t take off, government doesn’t get “fees” for each take-off or landing. Planes don’t take off, planes don’t get paid for. Airline employees don’t get paid.

Like I said, the public stops flying, Barry is going to have a whole hell of a lot more to worry about that 25,000 signatures IN ORDER TO PROVOKE A RESPONSE.

GarandFan on July 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Oh, good Lord, Dante. I thought it was clear I was expressing the thoughts of someone who doesn’t normally think libertarian. As in, the good news is people who don’t usually think about their rights are thinking about them. Not everyone thinks exactly like you. Being a blowhard doesn’t help convince them.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I started opting out after my first backscatter experience at RDU a few years back.

It was quite unnerving to watch all those sheep travelers being herded through the machine without so much as a peep of protest.

Now I simply allow myself more time to pass thru security while having the pleasure of getting a very public rubdown. And the pained expression they always give when you say you’re opting out is just too precious for words.

Though I will say that all of the female TSA agents I’ve come across have been very respectful and professional during the pat down procedure.

The Ugly American on July 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM

So not thinking about and reflecting on their rights, but “thinking about what rights they should reasonably give up.”

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Uh, yes, because that’s the question posed to someone who doesn’t normally think about his rights: “Hm, what am I giving up here, and am I okay with that?” Blowhard.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

You’re missing the reasonably part and what it implies.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM

That got cut off. Had typed the “should reasonably part”

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM

You’re just missing the reasonable part. But if you want to characterize my entire political philosophy based on the willful misreading of one adverb, I can’t stop you. Have a good night, but you’re being super blowhardy.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM

We all compromise rights to a greater or lesser degree when we get involved with something. When you join the military you compromise certain rights due to what you are doing and where you are. When you go into a theater you don’t have the right to yell fire. When we board a plane we don’t have the right to wander around the airplane at will. The TSA screening is an example of that which has gone too far and for too little reason.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 12:44 AM

No, I’m pretty lasered in on the reasonable part. I looked at your wikipedia page, and it says you describe yourself as a “security-conscious conservative.”

What rights do you think we should reasonably give up in order to purchase a plane ticket and board a plane? Do you think the TSA is unconstitutional, or necessary, but just poorly run?

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM

When you go into a theater you don’t have the right to yell fire.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Not this myth again. I do have the right to yell fire. In fact, I would hope that if the theater were on fire, there would be someone yelling fire in order to call everyone’s attention to it.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

You are being pedantic. You don’t have the right to falsely yell fire, which of course you know.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Also, two of your examples are private and not public. So it’s not that we don’t have a right to walk around the plane at will, we don’t have the privilege. Unfortunately, in a further erosion of rights, these directives are not coming from the airline, but from your government.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Sure you do. There’s no law against it (and again, you’re talking private property). What one doesn’t have a right to do is deliberately create a panic in which someone comes to harm.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Its not that you don’t have the right to board the plane without undergoing a full body cavity search, its that you don’t have the privilege. /sarcasm

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Do I really have to explain a play on words to you? I know you can figure it out if you work at it. Look, unless you drive 150 mph everywhere you go, you too have given up some rights to live in a civil society. If you do, I’ll shut up right now, but I doubt you do, you big sell-out! I wouldn’t have written the post to start with if I were enamored of the TSA. Also, here’s how you’d start a reasonable conversation about this: “Mary Katharine, while I agree with some of your overarching points, I take issue with your use of the word reasonable as it pertains to rights, and here’s why.” You can start again if you want.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Given up some freedom, I should say, to avoid being misread, not that it will help.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Someone’s wrong on the Internet. Peace out, peeps! Have a good one.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I strongly disagree. I haven’t given up any rights to “live in a civil society”. Far from it, and that’s not quite how the Founders viewed it, either, declaring them inalienable. And not driving 150 is not giving up rights. Yes, you are not enamored with the TSA, but do you believe it is unconstitutional or that it is necessary but poorly run? And do you think there are rights we should reasonably give up to purchase a ticket and board a plane?

I can’t say I agree with some of your overarching points, because I don’t know the answer to these questions. I do like your attitude, though.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

There you go mixing public and private again.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

A dweeb will be a dweep, chance or not…

Gohawgs on July 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Mary Katharine,

Dueling with an unarmed man serves only to elevate him, no matter how spot on your bullet.

TXUS on July 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

There you go mixing public and private again.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 1:32 AM

It’s always a comfort to me to know that the hand up my bum belongs to a private security guard rather than a government security guard.

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM

“It was probably harder on them than it was on me,” Falcon said.

Ya think? I imagine it’s not the first time he’s heard that ladies. Lol!

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Oh, Mary Katharine, nice job with Dante today. He just doesn’t get it.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Pervs and sexual molesters need to work someplace, donchya know?

I’m so very glad that this agency was set up by a Republican President to offer a safehouse to them where they can exercise their natural inclinations safely on the traveling public… and boatloads of cash so that they can invent new and fun means to hinder the traveling public and yet still be incompetent enough to miss actual weapons brought on-board flights that have gone through their entire scanner/grope line-up. Why, such safety can be had through these means! And those things that get through are those REPORTED by the concerned public and yet I doubt one single TSA agent has ever lost their job over a security breach.

Or someone walking through the security set-up without going through such things thus requiring an entire airport to be evacuated.

Mind you the ground crew get no such oversight.

Imagine what one terrorist cell could do if it ever got anyone skilled enough to get hired into airport ground crews!

But at least the pervs and sexual molesters are safely off the streets and in our airports.

ajacksonian on July 19, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Got that right.

petefrt on July 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

sharrukin on July 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM

It’s pretty key knowing the difference between the two, but you’re missing the point. Government is inherently force and coercion, and has no rights, and forcibly infringes upon yours. Private entities do have rights, and yours do not trump theirs, even when you enter into a voluntary transaction with them. Additionally, private entities cannot take away your rights. So when you’re giving examples of giving up your rights, it’s best if you didn’t include examples of private entities, because it doesn’t apply. The Constitution protects us from government, not from each other.

So yes, we all have a Constitutionally-guaranteed right – an inherent, inalienable right – to not be searched by government unless suspected of a crime committed or about to be committed, yet we all allow it to happen. Some because they don’t know any better, some because they rationalize it by thinking that it’s about safety and demonizing a group of people.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I hope Mary Katherine pops in again. She has supported my point without even realizing it when she said, “you too have given up some rights/freedoms to live in a civil society”. Unless her position is that these freedoms were forcibly taken and not voluntarily ceded. I sincerely hope she’s not going down the social contract path.

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

25,000 ????

I am reminded of the line from Pirates of the Caribbean regarding ‘Pirate laws”: they’re not so much laws, as guidelines!

For instance, the WH pounced to give an Response to an OWS petition with less than 12,000 signatures back in Oct 2011…

socalcon on July 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM

ted c on July 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Somebody taught you how to touch your junk –

Oh, yeah. That was Jocelyn Elders.

CJ on July 19, 2012 at 8:02 AM

now that Roberts-taxcare is here, why not have the TSA also do routine prostate and breast exams?

imagine the savings!

Safe junk is happy, healthy junk! (A message from your TSA.)

mittens on July 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If they ever get around to holding hearings, I will be sorely disappointed if the term “junk-touching” is not uttered at some point. I want to see that on the court record!!!

Liberty 5-3001 on July 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Dante on July 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Actually it was you supporting her point without realizing it. Should have answered the question, this would be much clearer to you, if you had. Or not.

Bmore on July 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM