Romney camp: The gloves are coming off after the Bain attacks

posted at 10:01 am on July 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Republicans cheered Mitt Romney’s speech from Pennsylvania last night, attacking Barack Obama’s crony capitalism and ripping his statement that small business owners “didn’t build” their own successes.  They may have missed something that Romney left out — a mention of Obama as a “nice guy” who just isn’t up to the task of being President of the United States.  After getting a taste of Chicago politics, Romney and his team have decided to take the gloves off and jump into the character debate Obama apparently wants to have:

In speeches from Des Moines to Dallas, Romney has always been careful to hedge his tough digs at Obama with a civil nod toward the president’s moral character: “He’s a nice guy,” the Republican has often said. “He just has no idea how the private economy works.” But Tuesday’s speech included no such hedge — and one campaign adviser said there’s a reason for that.

“[Romney] has said Obama’s a nice fellow, he’s just in over his head,” the adviser said. “But I think the governor himself believes this latest round of attacks that have impugned his integrity and accused him of being a felon go so far beyond that pale that he’s really disappointed. He believes it’s time to vet the president. He really hasn’t been vetted; McCain didn’t do it.”

Indeed, facing what the candidate and his aides believe to be a series of surprisingly ruthless, unfounded, and unfair attacks from the Obama campaign on Romney’s finances and business record, the Republican’s campaign is now prepared to go eye for an eye in an intense, no-holds-barred act of political reprisal, said two Romney advisers who spoke on condition of anonymity. In the next chapter of Boston’s pushback — which began last week when they began labeling Obama a “liar” — very little will be off-limits, from the president’s youthful drug habit, to his ties to disgraced Chicago politicians.

“I mean, this is a guy who admitted to cocaine use, had a sweetheart deal with his house in Chicago, and was associated and worked with Rod Blagojevich to get Valerie Jarrett appointed to the Senate,” the adviser said. “The bottom line is there’ll be counterattacks.”

Might there be a reference or two to Jeremiah Wright, a man Obama described in 2007 as one of his close advisers and whose church Obama attended for 20 years, and the “God damn America” speech?  If so, I’d guess that they’ll farm that out to surrogates.

However, as BuzzFeed points out, this puts John Sununu’s offhanded comment about Obama needing to learn more about being American in some clearer context.  That may have gone farther than Sununu or the campaign intended, and Sununu apologized immediately afterward for the remark.  But that may have come from a new resolve to fully engage in the character battle that Obama launched unilaterally in May, and to do it in “nuclear” fashion, as John Hinderaker noted.

That may or may not be a great idea for the campaign – -depending on execution.  Sticking to an economic argument would focus on what voters care most about rather than fight on less-clear grounds about which is the better man morally for the job.  However, it has become clear that Obama won’t talk about the economy and will launch a character fight as a distraction.  This means Romney needs to find a way to turn that fight into something relevant to the economy — which Romney has started to do with his sharp attacks on Obama’s crony capitalism within the stimulus program as a way to argue that Obama is hopelessly corrupt.

My guess is that this will at least rally the base for Romney, where complaints over his lack of response to Obama’s attacks on his character have crescendoed recently.  It will also distance Team Romney from Team McCain, which disdained these kind of attacks on Obama, when Obama didn’t have a record to criticize.  That alone will make Romney more popular with Republicans and conservatives.

Update: The Boss Emeritus gives this news a literal “hallelujah!”  Also, I added “depending on execution” in the second-to-last paragraph to clarify my opening sentence.  I thought the meaning was clear, but just in case it wasn’t …

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

ANYONE who is cowered by the MSM’s “Birther” label needs to understand this.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Just a slight correction. It was places like Hotair that pushed the “birther” label, not the MSM. Evidently you weren’t around here during the 2008 race – when allah wrote a post about how Palin as VP scared him and he felt much more comfortable with a smart, able guy like the Indonesian Dog-Eater in the White House than Sarah Palin as VP.

Yes, allah actually wrote that – and tons of other pathetic, idiotic things along the same lines. That’s what Hotair is all about – long before Townhall had anything to do with things.

This place has always been like this and the bloggers here attacked those of us who raised the eligibility issue more than the MSM ever did. THis place made the pejorative “birther” the accepted term, as they tried to snuff out anyone that tried to stick up for the Constitution. Go back and look at the old 2008 posts, here. They’re beyond embarrassing.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

If that’s the substance of their counter-attacks, it’s a mistake.

All they have to do is recite the last three years, but do it in a way that no one in the GOP or in the media has. It’s all there: the lies, the constitutional perversions, the crony capitalism, the malicious incompetence, the institutional radicalism. Just thumb through Michelle Malkin’s book, or J. Christian Adams’ book, or Katie Pavlitch’s book. No research required. But to dig back to Obama’s cocaine use in college is stupid.

But the stupidity is a foregone conclusion. I mean, if Romney really was “disappointed” by the attacks in his integrity, if he’s that clueless about the Left not to have seen it coming, it’s pretty hopeless.

rrpjr on July 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That says all about you that anyone ever needs to know.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Boy is the lsm outraged that mitt bashed Obama on quote

Heh don’t let up mitt….keep digging in

cmsinaz on July 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That says all about you that anyone ever needs to know.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You waste our time again and again with debunked nonsense, and then you feign offense when someone has the temerity to call you on it?

Granted, some of the birthers may simply be naive, or overly excitable. But a good number of you are perfectly capable of knowing that the cr@p you are pushing is junk that’s either been debunked, or that was frivolous to begin with.

So please, do us all a favor and don’t act so shocked when people make the common sense comparison between you, and another extremely dishonest, disingenuous figure.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Ah the smell of team work. Good times! Go Team!!!

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Your trust in the word of the Indonesian Dog-Eater, who has lied about everything, makes everything you claim absolutely worthless. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That’s what you think.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

My only question is – where can I find a hard copy of the birth certificate for Obama (or even McCain and Romney), on file with a govt. office (i.e. records clerk) available for public inspection? Ya know, like any civil complaint? You seem pretty confident of this, so you must know. Not a .pdf scan, but an actual, time-stamped copy, I am assuiming, filed before they started their campaigns. In order to meet two, and only two, basic constitutional requirements Seriously, I’ll wait. Location and file number, thank you.

Saltyron on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

uh….wow.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I don’t trust Obama one bit, as I just said. I also do not trust people who repeatedly allege conspiracies when there is no evidence for them.

Not trusting Obama does not give me the obligation to entertain bullshit conspiracy theories from people who are equally untrustworthy.

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That’s what you think.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yes, that’s what I think. Would you like me to say it again?

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

No more Mr. “Nice Guy.”

I’ll believe it when I see it and hear it from Fur Mittens, NOT his surrogates.
Willard fights like a girl. Small wonder.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on July 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

It’s not about being cowed. It’s that we don’t believe the birthers in the first place. They have produced no credible evidence of any of their claims. It’s all based on easily debunked nonsense about pdfs producing layering effects…

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’m calling your bluff.

An official sheriff’s investigation has produced this Press Release which links to this 30 page comprehensive analysis.

You make the claim that “It’s all based on easily debunked nonsense”. I call your bluff. I challenge you to “debunk” the findings of Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s official investigation. Publish your “debunking” here AND make sure that you publicly get it to Sheriff Joe Arpaio so that he can see your analysis.

I DARE YOU.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Barry hasn’t had to defend himself in any of his elections, everyone has been afraid to take the fight to him, so he always attacked and hid behind his “special” status of being a poor kid from Hawaii…Ef That nonsense. There is only one way to win a mob war against a thug from Chicago, you take him out with every weapon in your arsenal. Bottom line. Never go on defense unless its a counter punch, attack attack and attack, make Barry defend himself for his now clear Record of Failure.

Every single week, from now til November…attack. Fast and Furious, Solyndra, Immigration failures, Welfare Reform, DOJ failures, Unemployment, Food Stamps, on and on and on, every single sweet heart deal his donors got and wasted our tax dollars with. GM, Unions, each week, attack with something new, its all there for the taking, and put the real Hard Hitters out there on TV, if they are NOT going to be your VP, then put them on the Press Trail day after day after day, Cain, West, Palin, Christie, Rubio, Ryan, Guilliani, attack every single issue over and over again and Destroy this menace to our society.

Dino V on July 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Hit his past too, “What jobs has Obama ever held? Who has he ever hired? What did he actually right in college? Who did he study with? Study under? Where are the people from his past? How well did he know Resko? How well does he know Ayers? Dorn? Who are the people in his administration? Who has he put in powerful positions? Who are they?” over and over again. Constantly put Barry on the defensive, he can’t laugh away the truth.

And hold back Wright…the second the MSM starts in on the Mormon stuff (cause they will, we all know it is coming) that’s when you break out the God Damn America speech, over an over again and say in the add, “Mitt Romney never heard that in any of his Mormon Services. Mitt Romney takes being a Christian seriously, not as a political opportunity”

Crush them with their own game and their own style.

Dino V on July 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM

right = write…I’m too fired up and didn’t “preview” my post

Dino V on July 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Yes, that’s what I think. Would you like me to say it again?

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Doubling down sunshine?

Just out of curiousity….please define a “birther”… and by all means, please inform us as to whom you plan to vote for.

You fascinate me.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Saltyron on July 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Go ahead and wait.

You’re the one who thinks this is anything other than an absolute joke, so you go dig it up. It’s not my job to waste my time following up on some crank’s allegations. If you have a legal claim, take it to court. If you have evidence of wrong-doing, present it.

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

uh….wow.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Well what else explains this other than flagrant dishonesty? This Arpaio character repeatedly grandstands to suggest he has evidence for some conspiracy theory or whatever, and time and again, he comes up with some obscenely stupid BS.

I have nothing against a random person who entertains some mild suspicion about these kinds of things. But when someone actively pushes it, as birthers like Orly Tates, or Sheriff Arpaio, then it goes beyond just a disagreement. These are people who claim to be actively researching this issue.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

comes up with some obscenely stupid BS

RINO in Name Only

RINO in Name Only,
You’re projecting.

I’ve called your bluff. And I’ll repeat for empasis…

I DARE YOU.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Doubling down sunshine?

You fascinate me.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

A birther is someone who repeatedly pesters me with stupid cr@p about Obama’s birth certificate, his social security number, his selective service card, what he had for breakfast last week, etc…

As to who I’m voting for, take a wild, f*ing guess.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

And then …

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Talk about a dishonest piece of sh!t … Either that or you’re immensely stupid and don’t understand that “the typical” type of something is the same as “a random” example of the same. Obviously, you’re not much of a thinker. Realize that and stop spouting offensive nonsense.

You are a Barky supporter, at this point, championing tyhe “honesty” of the Indonesian Retard who has lied about everything on Earth. But, you think him more honest than the typical person who questions the Indonsian Dog-Eater’s Constitutional eligibility (and having been a dual, and possibly triple citizen, he is NOT eligible – period).

That is what you are – a Barky supporter – and that is what you do. Utterly despicable.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

You have evidence that Obama’s father was an American instead of Kenyan? I thought everyone accepted that his father was from Kenya. But now I find that it’s really a conspiracy bullshit theory? What?

dominigan on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

RINO in Name Only,
You’re projecting.

I’ve called your bluff. And I’ll repeat for empasis…

I DARE YOU.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

What will you give me, in return?

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You have evidence that Obama’s father was an American instead of Kenyan?

I thought everyone accepted that his father was from Kenya.

But now I find that it’s really a conspiracy bullshit theory?

What?

What?

dominigan on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

What will you give me, in return?

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You claimed:

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

You LIE.

The official Sheriff’s investigation produced 30 pages of credible evidence.

You claim it’s “easily debunked”.

So, you either prove that you can easily debunk it, or you admit that you are a LIAR.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Huh. Seems to me that you’re the one doing the “pestering”…you might want to re-read the thread.

As to who I’m voting for, take a wild, f*ing guess.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

again….wow.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

SLASH AND BURN

John the Libertarian on July 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Talk about a dishonest piece of sh!t

Yes, that’s what I’m doing.

I already said before I have no problem with people entertaining the idea, nutty as I find it. The typical birther does not simply entertain the idea, they pester me constantly. That is typical. Someone who has mild suspicions that they aren’t particularly energetic about isn’t a “typical birther”, by any stretch of the imagination. These people might disagree with me, but they do not spam me with bullsh*t day after day after day.

Oh, and in the very post where you claimed someone else was being dishonest, you propagate another whopper, since in the very posts you’re b*tching about, I specifically championed his dishonesty.

Nice way to pull an Alan Grayson and claim I said the exact opposite of what I did. How very honest of you.

Sure, but that’s damning with rather faint praise. If I say somebody is stupider than a bag of rocks, that hardly constitutes an endorsement of the intellectual capabilities of rocks.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

There you go again with the lying. Despicable indeed.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Folks, I feel the need to step in and clarify the key piece of info that Sheriff Joe released today, and consider it.

Today, Sheriff Joe released something to back up his contention that the birth certificate has been altered, and IMO it’s damning. That’s why Drudge is leading with it….. because after all the smoke, I think that Sheriff Joe just found some fire.

Please refrain from just reflexively bashing me, and consider the specific info that Sheriff Joe presented today:

Sheriff Joe’s team actually found alive the 95-year-old registrar who signed the birth certificate – Verna K.L. Lee, and if we are being honest with ourselves and applying the critical standards that we like to uphold at Hot Air, then listen what Ms. Lee said:

Ms. Lee said that the certificate has definitely been altered, based upon the penciled numbers that we all have seen near some of the boxes. She said that the purpose of the numbers was as coding information to help employees transfer the info from the paper certificate into a database.

She said that the number “9″ was marked next to boxes that were left blank on the original certificate. She then noted that certain boxes that had a penciled “9″ by them should have been blank on 0bama’s certificate.

These boxes were: “Race of Father,” and “Kind of Business or Industry.”

While Ms. Lee says they should have been blank, those two boxes on the .pdf that the White House released to the media contained, “AFRICAN.” and “UNIVERSITY.”

Ms. Lee – remember, the ex-registrar who actually signed the certificate in 1961, said that these details prove that the “certificate” released by the White House has been altered.

She also said that the certificate numbering is incorrect, and tells her that the birth was not at Kapiolani Hospital.

Those are the key points released by Sheriff Joe, and so if there is discussion, instead of slamming posters like me and others, I would ask that the thinking people of Hot Air consider the source – the ex-registrar – and decide whether the source is credible.

To me – this is the first glimpse of “fire” in the whole controversy. I give a lot of weight to the statements of someone like Ms. Lee, who had the registrar’s job and personally signed the certificate.

Make of this what you will, but to me, this is the strongest thing yet to come out that the White House .pdf does not match the paper record.

Given the execrable record of the 0bama administration, vis a vis the truth, are we to give 0bama full credit, and dismiss the Hawaiian registrar as a crank?

It is what it is. Trouble.

cane_loader on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

RINO in Name Only,
It’s time to man up…

Either prove that you can easily debunk this evidence,
or you admit that you are a LIAR.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

As to who I’m voting for, take a wild, f*ing guess.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

again….wow.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Wow? What amazes you about this? What was so unclear about what I wrote? I even highlighted the relevant parts, for your convenience. Here it is again, in bold, emphasized, and with capital letters.

I DON’T TRUST OBAMA ONE BIT, as I just said. I also do not trust people who repeatedly allege conspiracies when there is no evidence for them.

NOT TRUSTING OBAMA does not give me the obligation to entertain bullshit conspiracy theories from people who are equally untrustworthy.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

OT, I know, but here are the three main links from the Drudge Report lead story this morning. I know how the management feels about the BC controversy, but I feel that as they routinely link to Drudge, and this is the Drudge headline, then this meets a certain standard of legitimacy as a topic of discussion du jour.

Read the links, y’all, and draw your own conclusions:

cane_loader on July 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM

RINO in Name Only,
It’s time to man up…

Either prove that you can easily debunk this evidence,
or you admit that you are a LIAR.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I ask again: What will you give me if I debunk it? How do I know you won’t just ask me to read a 60 page report next time? Or, if not you, some other birther?

Here’s my counter proposal. You make the argument, here, specifically, in your own words, that you want to debunk. One argument. Not 30 pages of a report from a guy I don’t trust.

Do you see me demanding that you read a 30 page report by someone you don’t trust?

Now, is my counter-proposal reasonable?

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

As to who I’m voting for, take a wild, f*ing guess.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

again….wow.

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I have a lot of quotes because a lot of people are replying to me. I have made one or two comments that were not specifically replies to something someone said, directed at me. How is that pestering?

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Now, is my counter-proposal reasonable?

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Also, take your time, because I need to step out for an hour or two. I will be back.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Go ahead and wait.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Way to have the strength of your conviction.

You seem to have burden of proof all confused. If you, or Obama, or any Presidential candidate for that matter, want to run for office, and assert that their qualifications are legit, they FIRST have the burden of production/proof. Actual, honest to God hard copies filed in a govt. records office, time-stamped for all to inspect, signed by officials who can be punished under the law for false filing. Just like a civil complaint, or a criminal filing, etc. independently verifiable. This is nothing unusual, I deal with it every day. THEN, if this is actually done, where is it filed? So if I or any other person, or even a “crank”, want to verify it, or to inspect it for forgery, so I know where I can obtain an original or a certified copy to do so? I’m not even discussing if it is true or false, I’m just asking how I can get a copy to review myself? a .pdf posted to the internet is not viable evidence – you can authenticate a copy of a document, only the document With a copy, you can only verify that the COPY wasn’t altered.

If my boss asks, “did you file that civil complaint” and I say, “nah, I just posted it online” it has no legal effect and is not credible as a legal filing, even though it is “RINO in Name Only ” approved. A copy, with a time-stamp to show filing is much better, but even that is not as viable as the original on file with the clerk office. This is normal stuff, done day in and out.

For Obama’s, Hawaii won’t release an original or a cert. copy expect to a select few, but if it was filed by his campaign as an election document, why is it not open to public inspection? Why do I have to work to find evidence of this like I’m examining the Shroud of Tuurin? If you are so damn certain as to cast aside all doubt and to slander anyone who simply asks where it is located, you must have first-hand knowledge to do so. And when asked, you arm-flail and hissy-fit because you ahve to justify your certitude.

I would personally love to go and find it myself. Really. When I first heard of this controversy years ago, I scoffed at how easy it was to prove, so I looked for a formal filing and couldn’t find one. Anywhere. The only actual place would be the Clerk of the US Senate, and it ain’t there. It is so dumb-ass simple it could have resolved this in ten minutes. And yet you, who are so certain, cannot provide this info that you are so certain of. A .pdf scan is enough for you, it’s all a matter of faith or what other people TELL you, not what you can verify yourself. From a man who admitted to manufacturing his own history in his own autobiographies. For a man who wants the position of leader of the free world.

Say it with me now – admitting that there are discrepancies that need looked into is not the same as saying you know he was born on Mars. And simply requesting that there be a formal procedural process to verify this info independently is not insane.

Again, the average person on the street can’t get a passport without submitting a certified original and a copy.

Saltyron on July 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Those are the key points released by Sheriff Joe…

cane_loader on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

While I applaud your comment, there was another key point released by Sheriff Joe… that under Hawaiian law, those born elsewhere in the world could AND DID get Hawaiian Birth Certificates.

The PDF on the White House web site is undoubtedly a forgery, but even if perfectly authentic Birth Certificate were produced, it alone would be insufficient to prove Hawaiian birth!

Sheriff Joe was absolutely correct when he said that this is a national security issue, as non-citizens can get Hawaiian Birth Certificates!

He said he never thought of Hawaii as a “border state” before, but he does now.

Our national security is only as strong as its weakest link, and this Hawaiian weak link must be replaced.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM

cane_loader on July 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I agree, very weird. Thank you for addressing these claims. Now, wouldn’t investigative journalists be interested in proving or disproving this? Or will they just proceed with per-determined conclusions?

Saltyron on July 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

You might want to ratchet back the hyperbole a tad amigo…my amazement is based on the fact that the posts of yours I’ve read before this seemed so spot on.

You’re entitled to your opinion…as F’d up as it might be.

If you want to see my birth certificate, it’s fairly easy. I keep a certified hard copy in my files and I’m happy to show it to you.

Don’t trust me? It’s a public record, you can look it up…no one is hiding it, and you’ll have no problem finding it (I was born at Daniel Freeman Hospital in Los Angeles, CA).

See how simple that is?

I wonder why it’s so friggin’ hard for Obama to do the same with such a harmless document.

I guess that makes me one of those “pestering” “birthers” you speak of.

well…c’est la vie sweetie!

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Obama is more honest than the typical birther.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Which one of his “composite girlfriends” told you that?

Saltyron on July 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Now, is my counter-proposal reasonable?

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

No, it’s not. You claimed:

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

You LIE. They have produced more credible evidence than you are willing to even look at. You falsely claim that it is “easily debunked”, but then you refuse to back up your claims without receiving something in return. You fail to come up with even a single thing from their evidence that you can “easily debunk”.

You are a LIAR.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I’ll believe Mitt Osmond’s gloves are off when I see it. But things do not bode well. I just did a search for a reminder of an apology Romney made recently that he should not have made. Oh yes, he made a snap apology for that prep school so-called bullying incident. No way he apologizes for that. His response should have been something like: “All due respect to the memory of my late school chum but I was far from the only preppie posing challenges for hippies in those days. I’ll apologize for that decades-old incident as soon as President Choom apologizes for all the ‘intercepting’ and for driving the Choom Wagon under the influence.”

And what’s this? In the same search: “Romney surrogate Sununu apologizes for remark”. Whah!? A perfectly appropriate remark considering the current state of campaign discourse. More importantly this is a story from 20 hours ago! Well within any gloves-off-for-Bain timeframe. Again, GOP needs to start playing the game for keeps. A Democrat would not apologize. He would clarify, plead out-of-context or dispute the meaning of a word. Sununu’s gloves-off response would have gone something like: “Read the whole statement, fool. Considering Obama doesn’t know how many states there are and that he holds fund-raisers in foreign countries anyone would think he gave up his citizenship voluntarily. And it depends on what the meaning of the word ‘American’ is. Ask Obama. I bet he can’t come up with one without consulting a focus group.”

Lowering yourself to their level, unnderstood. But do you want to win?

And oh look, in the same search: “Obama and campaign offers no apology to Romney.” Well, duh.

So don’t say the gloves are off if they’re not. Trying to put the Romney candidacy in the best light since he locked up the nomination is getting harder to do. If the campaign needs a gloves-off consultant they can have their people call my people.

curved space on July 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Tim_CA on July 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

BINGO. Same with me – I can tell ya the govt. office its located at, I have a .pdf scan on my computer, and a certified copy of my original in my home office cabinet. Pretty straight forward and independently verifiable. If mine is false, it’s news to me!

Saltyron on July 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I agree with curved space…Apologize for nothing…simply counter attack at every opportunity.

“What I feel sorry for are the millions of unemployed in this country that can’t find work because of President Obama’s constant attack of the private sector”

Dino V on July 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Please do it. Victory requires no explanation and defeat allows none. Whatever it takes* to get to 270, I will endorse.

*Violent felonies and impeachable offenses aside.

LukeinNE on July 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Romney camp: The gloves are coming off after the Bain attacks

Itzabout time, Mittens.

RAH RAH HISS BOOM BA
HIT HIM IN THE HEAD WITH A KO-BA-SA
HIT HIM HIGH
HIT HIM LOW
HIT HIM WHERE THE OEANUTS GROW!

timberline on July 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM

HIT HIM WHERE THE OEANUTS PEANUTS GROW!

timberline on July 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Opps….

timberline on July 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Aw, all those who mocked Romney for demanding an apology for Team Obama lying about something the *knew* was a lie to call Romney a “felon” are preemptively demanding Romney apologize for even *thinking* about telling the truth about Obama.

Obama walked right into the trap by saying it was “appropriate” to imply Romney a felon about something they knew was untrue. He should have done the *right* thing & apologize — but, of course, he can never do the *right* thing. Romney never *expected* an apology (and anyone thinking he did is a fool) — Romney wanted the OK to not have to hold back. The only difference is, Team Obama is lying about Romney’s character; Team Romney will not be lying about Obama’s. And when the MSM, which sided with Obama on calling Romney a “felon?” Yeah, they walked into the trap too — sure, they will howl in protest at how “wrong” Romney is & how he shouldn’t “go there” (like they did to shame McCain), but now people will see the disparate treatment.

As Romney said: he’s not going to play by a different set of rules set.

Dark Star on July 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Two things before I step out the door.

You are a LIAR.

ITguy on July 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Before I actually step out the door, let me point out that this is false. I originally asked what you would give me, since you are NOT merely asking me to refute something, you are asking me to read through 30 pages of allegations. You are asking me to do something on your behalf.

I offered to debunk the argument if you did one simple thing – choose a single example in your own words, so I don’t have to waste my time with 30 pages of nonsense. And you refuse to do even this?

The offer still stands.

You’re entitled to your opinion…as F’d up as it might be.

Thank you. Fair enough. I apologize for painting quite a broad brush. I do not retract my assessment of either the merits of this issue, nor my contention that Arpaio and Tates themselves are being dishonest.

However, “typical birther” is too broad. People like you seem reasonable and honest. My complaint is more properly directed at the people who accuse the rest of us of being cowards and/or RINOs for dismissing these claims. I’m sorry for lumping you and others in with them.

RINO in Name Only on July 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

It was a Grass and Cheese eating affair.

VorDaj on July 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

The fact that Sununu apologized tells us pretty much how this is going to go down. They’ll advance one step cautiously, and take two steps back when they apologize. We all told the ‘Romney is the most electable crowd’ that this is what would happen. He won’t fight Obama like he did Gingrich or Perry. He’s a typical GOP establishment joker.

I’d love to be wrong. Honestly. But I’m not holding my breath.

avgjo on July 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Let me be completely clear. The GCE’s (Grass and Cheese Eaters) used “Birther”, the “B” word, in the vary same way, and with the very same intent, as the “N” word was used in the past.

VorDaj on July 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Curved Space

I hadn’t read your comment before I posted mine.Yours can’t be improved upon. If I ever know anyone running for prez, I’m gonna tell them to look you up as chief consultant! MAN, that was good.

avgjo on July 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

But I’m not holding my breath.

We find ourselves saying this much too often, don’t we, avgjo? Thank you for the kind words. I hope we don’t have another McCain on our hands. But these polls should be starting to move ’round about now. Eek.

Apologize for nothing.

Yes, Dino V. These apologies mean nothing. They are purely media induced. That’s another area where the GOP is totally inept. Hostile media can be handled, but you have to want to. That’s a whole ‘nother dissertation. Cheers.

curved space on July 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It’s about time Romney starts fighting back. Obama is a dirty thug who will stop at nothing. Romney better start using Obama’s tactics against him. We need a street fighter to defeat the choom thug inhabitng the white house now.

jqc1970 on July 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

At first Mitt was listening to the advice of the GOP base which lost the last election by the way they coached McCain and threw Palin under the bus. Remember the two weeks of silence during their campaign and the announcement that they spent over a ton of money on Palin’s clothes which the moles at headquarters promptly made public? Mitt has been hounded by bloggers to get tough, grow a pair, and what’s wrong with you? The left is doing a fine job of putting Mitt in office with their present plans and I believe he has grown a pair. The fun is just starting and we’ll have over three more months of it.

mixplix on July 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

With so much there in Obama and his ugly party to attack and destroy, why not destroy. The wonder is what took so long, Romney didn’t recognize the filth he was running against ?

arand on July 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I do not believe this load of crap. romney is a wuss, just like mccain. Neither of them has the guts to climb the hill to call out obama. I honestly believe they both are secretly in bed with the ‘one-worlders’, as much as soros and obama are. I do not expect anything more out of him.

boogieboy on July 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

To win this election Governor Romney is going to have to put his gentility and civility aside and fight like poorboy underdog Rocky Balboa against his opponent, suave Apollo Hussain Creed. Dodge no punch, plant your feet, hit, hit, hit and hit some more, and keep hitting until the bell rings. His opponent, dance on his toes and dodge as he may, is just not man enough to stay up in a pounding match. This is for America.

etaoinshrdlu on July 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Romney camp: The gloves are coming off after the Bain attacks

Itzabout time, Mittens.

RAH RAH HISS BOOM BA
HIT HIM IN THE HEAD WITH A KO-BA-SA
HIT HIM HIGH
HIT HIM LOW
HIT HIM WHERE THE OEANUTS GROW!

timberline on July 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Aww, Dr Dre among us? :)

jimver on July 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Mmm, is Romney polishing up the Death Star?

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I would be very pleased to find out that Romney’s vaunted oppo research team has been working overtime the last couple of months, and that the only reasons Romney has been relatively placid lately are:

1) Romney wanted a couple of weeks of bile and bilge from the Obama team to hit the airwaves so that he looks like the aggrieved party.

2) He needed more resources, which are now flowing in like a mighty river.

3) The oppo team needed time to dot some “i’s” and cross some “t’s”.

We will see what Romney means by “vetting” the President very soon, I hope.

Mr. Arkadin on July 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

The time to play the eligibility (birth certificate) card ended one second after BHO was inaugurated. You can blame John McCain, that worthless nominee the G.O.P. selected (with help from the New York Times and other opposition media) and promoted to run in 2008.

John McCain and the G.O.P. Establishment is the reason Barack Hussein Obama is President. The G.O.P. Establishment is as corrupt as the Democratic Party. As a good man once wrote, “The entire establishment political establishment is corrupt.” Both parties, corrupt to the core.

I’m not giving the G.O.P. any financial support whatsoever. And unless Romney comes out and fights with both fists, then I’ll sit back and watch him flounder and fail.

Until the GOP is subsumed to the #TEAParty, taken over and controlled (as the once-proud Democratic Party was taken over and subsumed to the far-Left group that runs it now) then they are not worthy of any real support from me, or from any strong America-first American.

Romney, you’ve got just days to prove you are worthy of any but the Establishment’s support. Get busy, and make every punch count. This is your final test; a mistake should have outside looking in at the Convention. If the G.O.P. is serious about winning this time, that is.

Serr8d on July 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

About damn time Romney camp. The gloves should have never been put on in the first place!

melle1228 on July 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM

John Sununu’s offhanded comment about Obama needing to learn more about being American was correct. From 6-10 years of age Obama lived and was schooled in a foreign county and his mother hated the culture of the West and the US in particular. When he went to live with his grandparents at 10, at least his grandfather had similar opinions as his daughter. Obama does not think like an American nor understand our culture based on this, IMO. Heck the man did even know the way profits are taken from a business’s income. In a speach or interview,I forget, he stated profits were taken first, then the bills were paid. Tell that to small business owners, yea, the businesses that were built by everyone else helping the owner. He apparently knows nothing about the free market system.

amr on July 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM

This might be a tricky road to travel, but I think most people want someone that is willing to fight and is passionate about turning this country around. Obama crossed a line with the “felon” BS that has been spinning out of control since last week. Now Romney has to go all in, or he will be perceived as weak and ineffectual.

Plus, it will make for much better TV. :o

joedoe on July 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

That’s what I want to see….the Romney that took Gingrich and Santorum apart. Hell, Obama’s a much easier target with the record he’s compiled over the last three and a half years.

olesparkie on July 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Dear Mr President:

Before my death and Rebirth, I warned that “You’re headed for a one-term presidency” and it was because of statements and thinking like that on display last Friday, the 13th. Granted, you hadn’t been that out-of-control and off-message since you ran into a plumber playing football with his son on a Sunday afternoon, but still, dude. You sounded like you did back in the days at Occidental with Caroline Boss, Hasan Chandoo, John Drew, and Wahid and Sohale Siddiqi agitating, organising, writing, and spouting the Communist Party line and identifying yourselves as ‘ardent, Marxist Socialists.’ Don’t bother trying to deny it, dude. C’est moi. Not only does the paper record exist on Earth, but in Rebirth, I have the gift of knowledge and these things I know to be true.

Now, I heard that you said a few months ago:

“…But none of us make it on our own. Somebody — an outstanding entrepreneur like a Steve Jobs — somewhere along the line he had a teacher who helped inspire him. All those great Internet businesses wouldn’t have succeeded unless somebody had invested in the government research that helped to create the Internet. We don’t succeed on our own. We succeed because this country has, in previous generations, made investments that allow all of us to succeed.”

‘Tis true, I was inspired by many people along the way and the government did, in fact, conduct some of the research that went into transforming the world into one, global market and neighbourhood. I never claimed that my success is an island. My adoptive parents gave me a great life and taught me so much about life, but the government was not responsible for my success. I was. If government was the basis of success, then there would be no Solyndras, no Volts, no Edsels, no New Coke, no one in prison, no high school dropouts (each year more than a million Americans—that’s 7,000 every school day—are dropping out of high school), no teenage pregnancies, no drug addicts, no divorces, no failed businesses, etc.

It wouldn’t have taken Thomas Edison 9,999 times before he successfully discovered how to make an incandescent light bulb. Michael Jordan wouldn’t have lost almost 300 games, missed over 9,000 shots at goal, and missed the game-winning shot 26 times when he was given the ball for the score. Neither the Challenger nor the Columbia would have exploded. The housing market wouldn’t have collapsed. The financial system wouldn’t have have collapsed. The tech bubble wouldn’t have burst. No, none of this would have happened if government was the answer since it played a major role in many…not the things having to do with Edison and Jordan, obviously. That reminds me, if government were the answer, why are you such an average b-ball player and a 29 bowler?

If government was the root cause of all success, Social Security and Medicare wouldn’t be broke. The American public educational system wouldn’t have continued on a steady decline since the creation of the Department of Education. America’s longest war, the War on Poverty, beating its second — the Indian Wars, which lasted 46 years — by a year and still going strong, would have had an exit strategy that long ago would have been taken after a successful defeat of poverty. Yet, the poverty rate is about the same as it was in 1965. The War on Drugs, which now has lasted longer than World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, the Bosnian War, the Iraq War, and the ongoing Afghanistan War, would have long ago been successfully won…if government was the root of success.

Now, you’ve said to entrepreneurs:

“If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

Huh? You’re telling these hard workers, who overcome unbelievable odds to succeed (You do know that 50% of businesses don’t survive their first year, don’t you?), that they are only where they are because “somebody” invested in roads and businesses? Just who the hell do you think “somebody” is? It isn’t “government.”

Government, like corporations, is people, my friend, and, in this case, those people are called “taxpayers.” Many of these people just happen to open businesses. They invested in those roads and bridges. Indeed, the 50% of the businesses that will fail this year used those very same roads and bridges.

So, while the failed businessman is getting his debts wiped away in bankruptcy court, you want to hike the taxes on the successful man for a business that you claim “he didn’t build and someone else made happen.” Just exactly built his business? Which someones made it happen and why didn’t they make the other guy’s failed business succeed?

Sometimes, you just make absolutely no sense or, more likely, you slipp up and say what you really think. When I died, you released this statement:

“Steve was among the greatest of American innovators – brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

BY BUILDING ONE OF THE PLANET’S MOST SUCCESSFUL COMPANIES FROM HIS GARAGE, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.”

I remember my mum always ribbing my dad saying, “Behind every great man is a good woman”…although I think that she had it reversed. It seems that you are determined to change that to “Behind every man, woman, and child — be they good or bad, successes or failures, honest or untrustworthy, peaceful or warring — is, Behold!, thy mighty, omnipotent government!”

Dude, that’s just not how Americans roll.

A couple of years ago, you asked me “Why can’t [manufacturing jobs created by iPhone demand] come home?” I looked you in the eye and told you, “Those jobs aren’t coming back”…and I told you why.

I told you that your “administration was not business-friendly and that it was impossible to build a factory in the United States due to regulations and unnecessary costs.” I stressed that the American education system was “hopelessly antiquated” and crippled by the teachers’ unions, who selfishly put their demands above everything, including the common good and the children’s own welfare, including physical safety.

The government makes it impossible to do business and the educational system doesn’t produce qualified workers. A doctorate in Critical LGBT & Race Theory might make for some interesting banter in the faculty lounge, but it is absolutely worthless in the real world. As you may recall, Apple’s factories needed 30,000 skilled engineers — something the United States lack and the American educational system was not producing. China has tonnes of brilliantly-trained engineers and scientists. American doesn’t, but it does have armies of abysmally-trained apparatchiks and technocrats.

I suggested that, if you really want to win the future, then you would have to make the tax and regulatory systems competitive, overhaul the education system, extend the school year to eleven months with 11 hour days, look at the European system of testing to determine who is college material, break with the teachers’ unions, and reward science and math scholars.

If you want even the slightest chance of being reelected and doing so with a real mandate, as opposed to 2008, you had better stop insulting the American people. You have to stop demeaning them. Individuals and groups have an innate sense of pride in jobs they’ve done well. You can’t tell them that they didn’t build their businesses — someone else did. You can’t tell them that they owe their success to someone else and that they never sacrificed, but, rather, someone else did and was never given an equal opportunity to “suffer your success.”

I remember when Progressives like you wanted everyone to get a trophy, no tests to be graded in red ink, chant “everyone is special,” etc. Well, in your rabid and maniacal push for radical egalitarianism, you are telling millions of your fellow Americans that they do not deserve a trophy for actually succeeding. In fact, they deserve to be punished with higher taxes, more regulatory red tape, a diminished standard of living, commonness, ridicule, demonisation, and to be used as whipping boyz and gurlz to rile up your Lunatic Left base.

You are telling millions of Americans, who sacrificed, risked everything, worked on holidays when an employee called in ill, and worried about revenues while the 9-5 crowd was partying it up on Ladies’ Night, that not only are they less than special, they aren’t even above room temperature when it comes to intelligence, responsibility, perseverance, creative, capable of dreaming, formulating a plan, and bringing their ideas to fruition.

Must you tear down millions in order to elevate yourself and the real losers in life…you know, the ones that consider “getting massages” on the taxpayers’ dime and “bedrest” to be “work” in order for them to qualify for welfare cheques, food stamps, low income housing, free cellphones, Medicaid, and a whole host of other “social and economic justice” benefits?

If you think that is a winning strategy, once again, I reiterate: “I’m disappointed in you.”

Sincerely,

Steve Jobs’ Ghostwriter

PS: The Rebirthed Steve Jobs told me to tell you this:

“Er, not only did you “not build that” Peace Prize, you didn’t even earn or deserve it, Mr Drone Man.”

Resist We Much on July 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM