Of “canards” and canaries

posted at 6:41 pm on July 18, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

As some of our usual weekend readers may recall, I posted an article on Saturday which brought up some rather typical offensive comments the President made on Friday about business owners. It seemed like pretty typical fare from Barack Obama, albeit a bit more honest than usual in the sense of being a Kinsley gaffe. Also, it was a really slow news day, and I was briefly happy that the President had given me something else to write about. But beyond that I didn’t think much of it.

That’s why I was rather surprised when a writer for Talking Points Memo contacted me requesting a phone interview about the piece. (For those not familiar, TPM is also known as one of the more prominent members of the Unofficial Committee to Reelect Barack Obama.) Now, I’ve been interviewed by a few horses from this stable in the past, particularly during our 2010 congressional race, and it never ends well. But what can I say? It’s the dog days of July, the news cycle is often very slow and I was bored. I decided to do the interview, going into it with open eyes and the knowledge that it was going to be twisted in the worst possible light.

The article went live today and it certainly didn’t disappoint, at least in terms of my expectations. The title alone tells the whole story:

How the “you didn’t build that” canard took off.

Let’s start with the definition of Canard.

1 a : a false or unfounded report or story; especially : a fabricated report
b : a groundless rumor or belief

Here’s another definition which the author, David Taintor, might want to look up. Hack.

hack2 n
5. a drudge
6. (Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) a person who produces mediocre literary or journalistic work

If you read through that entire piece of tripe, a rather desperate, Obama supporting meme is very quickly established. Obama must have been simply “taken out of context” with those remarks. Come on, guys! You know what he meant to say, right? Mr. Taintor even got his canards (another word for “duck,” by the way) in a row early with this offering.

Referring to large-scale infrastructure investments like bridges and highways and the Internet, Obama recycled a line he has used often on the stump but with a slight variation: “If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

David then goes on to perform some sort of “investigative journalism” to describe how my simple Saturday blog post somehow sparked an explosion of “false” hype which wound up “in Mitt Romney’s mouth.”

Just lovely.

Here’s the part of the story – and the wide ranging, roughly 1/2 hour interview – that you didn’t hear if you only read this TPM piece.

David did the usual routine of acting like some sort of above the fray, independent, “just the facts M’am” journalist, posing all sorts of questions and engaging in a discussion. But the majority of that interview had very little to do with the quote he references, as if it were the entire article. I brought up the more serious, and far more offensive comment which I highlighted in my original article. Let’s replay it.

I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

That was the part that I found “offensive” more than anything else, and I told David so repeatedly. (That portion of Obama’s comments never appears in the TPM article nor my direct comments on it.) At one point I asked him about this – and I’m paraphrasing from memory because I’m not paranoid enough to tape all of my own calls at home. I asked him if even he wouldn’t find those comments offensive. He responded deftly, saying that he was covering the story and didn’t want to make it about him. I agreed, so I rephrased the question, asking him if he couldn’t see how even some people who might be naturally inclined to support Obama and favor government taxation and spending as the best path to curing our nation’s ills might find that offensive. He agreed, most congenially, that he could indeed see how such people might. I can’t even count the number of times I quoted that specific piece of Obama’s remarks to David during our discussion. It was the major point of the piece.

Of course, none of that appeared in the article.

David tried to treat this as some story of a bored blogger seizing on an out of context comment which wound up in a Romney speech. But the fact is, the actual words of the president which I was focusing on were the meat of the issue, and it’s looking more and more like they will come back to haunt him. David Taintor wants to talk about canards. I’d prefer to talk about canaries… in coal mines. If the unofficial Obama reelection committee is working this hard to hide it, you can tell that this is an early indicator of how much trouble they are in. Obama spoke about what he truly believes on Friday, laughingly chiding small business owners for thinking they are “so smart” or that they “work so hard.”

Real working people know that anyone building a business in today’s competitive environment truly must be smart, hard working and brave to even attempt launching a successful, private commercial endeavor. This attitude by the president offers a stark choice to American voters. And TPM’s efforts to cover it up or wash it away under the illusion of an “out of context comment” will not win the day.

Comments

Bishop?

Quack

PolAgnostic on July 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

God Bless you Jazz

cmsinaz on July 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

he must have gotten another email from valerie or cutter…

cmsinaz on July 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

… I’m paraphrasing from memory because I’m not paranoid enough to tape all of my own calls at home.

It’s not paranoia, it’s common sense today.

Of course, none of that appeared in the article.

This is why you tape. No he said/she said moments.

The media has no interest in reporting things in their entirety. They only want what will prove their point.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Hey Jazz…welcome to the vast right wing conspiracy.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Let’s start with the definition of Canard.
==========================================

What a relief,for a moment there,I thought it was a typo,missing the T,as in,ahem…(CanTard)
(sarc).

canopfor on July 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Years and years ago while homeschooling in the NE, in an area that could be hostile to have a tape recorder ready to go by the front door to deter intimidation, lies and misrepresentation.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Re-electing Obama isn’t about politics, it’s a RELIGION with them. Even Tingles Matthews waxes poetic about the ‘Perfection” of The Chosen One.

GarandFan on July 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

The left are simply insane.

The right are stupid because they don’t throw the gifts from the left back in their faces.

Obama, the utter Fool in Chief, either doesn’t know, or plays dumb to the masses, that the gov’t doesn’t exist without taxes paid from hard earned income, either from sole proprietors, or from other enterprises, which hire people.

All else is a waste of talk, including your interview with thost fools.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Clarification:

Years and years ago while homeschooling in the NE, in an area that could be hostile to home school families, to have a tape recorder ready to go by the front door to deter intimidation, lies and misrepresentation.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

What idiot would be interviewed by TPM?

faraway on July 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Just because the latte idiot made it in life by sheer PC idiocy, doesn’t mean that all other did, or that he was paid by a “gov’t”. The azzhole is an ingrate and has no idea how he succeeded based on NO achievement of any kind.

Hate him and his with all your passion. He is out to destroy you, while laughing at you.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

It’s taking notes, Jazz. Tape the ones where you need notes.

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

with thost those fools.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I do get tired of reposting this … but it IS the heart of the matter:

You are crediting liberals The New York Times David Taintor with having a conscience. He doesn’t.

Moral equivalence is impossible if you have a conscience.

Intellectual dishonesty is impossible if you have a conscience.

Denying rampant corruption is impossible if you have a conscience.

A fanatic level of devotion where anything done in the name of a cause is alright is impossible if you have a conscience.

If you have a conscience, treating a liberal as a moral, rational individual should keep you up at night – you lend credibility to their malfeasance when you do.

It is just that simple.

PolAgnostic on July 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Hey Jazz…welcome to the vast right wing conspiracy.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

O! That’s awesome! An actual source within the VRWC. I didn’t even think about that. :)

Wait. Maybe I should be taking screen captures.

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

That’s just ducky.

juanito on July 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

OT- Anyone think Geithner’s sphincter puckers everytime he hears the words “tax returns” is said on TV ?

FlaMurph on July 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

This is nothing more than another “depends what the meaning of ‘is’ is” bullchit dodge by the left and their lapdogs in the media.

The fact that they’re trying so frantically to change the meaning of what they boy king said indicates to me that he and they know he stepped in it with both feet.

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Clarification:

Years and years ago while homeschooling in the NE, in an area that could be hostile to home school families, [I kept] to have a tape recorder ready to go by the front door to deter intimidation, lies and misrepresentation.

INC on July 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Of “canards” retards and canaries fairies

Enhanced.

hillsoftx on July 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

The canary died back in 2008, if more people had paid attention we wouldn’t have been buried alive by the resulting mine explosion, desperately trying to claw our way out.

Bishop on July 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM

canopfor on July 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

cmsinaz on July 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Ed allowed them room in the Obamateurism, trying to be reasonable, I suppose. The problem is that Obama clearly didn’t mean the “reasonable revisions;” — he meant, as always, what he said.

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I saw this woman last night on Greta’s show. It’s reactions like this from small business owners across the country that has the left so nervous.

Small business owner reflects on president’s recent comments, insists she ‘built that’

Dana Loesch posted this on her website earlier today.

A Letter To The Obama Administration… From A Small Business Owner Who Did It Himself

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Obama let the cat out of the bag.

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Nowadays they only serve canard a l’orange at the White House because when they said duck Slow Joe would hide under the table.

viking01 on July 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I heart Hot Gas.

Towash on July 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM

“Canard” is the French word for “duck” (the bird), but even in French it has the alternate meaning of a false rumor that is deliberately spread through the public.

Steve Z on July 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

My brain obviously needs a jump start today! But you get what I meant. :)

INC on July 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

As is true I am sure for many Hot Air commenters:
I started with little although some thought I was smart; I worked very hard and got good grades, all the way through law school; I then worked very hard and became an owner of a business; I continued to work very hard at that business, along with others, and made a fair amount of money. I paid maximum federal, state, social security and related taxes for most of the 41 years I worked in that business; I retired and now others run that business and employ lots of people, who earn lots of money and pay lots of taxes.
Obama does not have a clue.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hopefully this time around the GOP will actually make these sorts of things an issue and connect the dots on just who Obama is, but the Sununu episode suggests otherwise.

Romney surrogate Sununu: ‘I wish this president would learn how to be an American
msnbc.com‎ – 20 hours ago

Sununu: I apologize
Politico (blog)‎ – 23 hours ago

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I agree… sensibilities far and wide have been offended. Why, how dare the President suggest that good fortune shines upon anyone- after all, everyone in this country is both exceptional and special! If you know many people on Wall Street, you’ll learn that no one, NO ONE believes that a certain percentage of people reach positions of power and wealth primarily through collegiate or other connections. Everyone on Wall Street is pure genius and talent- especially senior managers outside the trading desks.

Obama needs to apologize NOW. It’s so unfortunate when there are gays, minorities, and so many other easy targets. Why not rail against gay rights? That’s worked so well in national politics before.. did Obama have to stoop to this?

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

That’s scary. I was going to post something similar and was scrolling down when your name caught my eye and I looked.

GMTA or poor you. ;) Always a pleasure to see you in these parts, Flora.

kim roy on July 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

1 a : a false or unfounded report or story; especially : a fabricated report
b : a groundless rumor or belief

How about this for a canard- Glenn Beck inventing stories about Clinton support for the Muslim Brotherhood, resulting in riots against America. Talk about a truly destructive circle jerk in Beck land:

When McCain has to rail to the defense of Obama foreign policy, you Glenn has really f**ked things up.
HotAir is steering clear of this story like a free dinner with Al Sharpton.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Damn!! A recording would have been hilarious.

KenInIL on July 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Why is my name on these diplomas?

earlgrey133 on July 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM

We have Obama as proof that connections most certainly make a difference. However in the private sector results are often expected which is not the case when government money is involved. Getting the opportunity is one thing and making use of it is another.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on July 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Success like yours is to be admired and saluted.

My son-in-law came to the U.S. from Cuba almost 30 yrs ago. All those years he worked as a chef/cook, saving every penny he could along the way in the hope of someday owning his own restaurant.

One year ago today he and my daughter opened that restaurant – without receiving one red cent from friends, family OR the government – THEY built that business, not they boy king’s big government policies.

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM

“Don’t believe any false rumors unless you hear them from me.”

—— Victor Schiro, mayor of New Orleans about 4 or 5 decades ago.

viking01 on July 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM

kim roy on July 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

You too Kim.

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM

In attempting to walk Jazz down the primrose path, a glimpse of the depth of the desperation rising in the Democrats camp was inadvertently revealed.

I’ve been saying for months now that I believe that on election day there will be a massive GOP wave that washes across this nation. I don’t even think its about blue states and red states and purple states anymore.

Its about putting this nation back on the path to real prosperity again. Its about retaining and revitalizing our preeminence in the world. Its about ending the divisions between Americans, so often distinguished with a hyphen placed after a qualifier or descriptor deliberately prefacing…American. Its about the freedom for SMART, HARD WORKING people to, as Governor Romney recently said, “…lift themselves up.” Its about being free to BE self reliant.

The Democrats are in trouble, just as Jazz said, because they’ve put themselves between Americans and the American Dream.

thatsafactjack on July 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Has anyone with the Obama campaign or at the White House said that the comments have been taken out of context or tried to walk them back in any way?

Mark1971 on July 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

HotAir is steering clear of this story like a free dinner with Al Sharpton.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

tips@hotair.com

Use it, instead of trying to divert from the topic of this thread.

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Thank you, Jazz, for acknowledging that. Every day, my husband goes into the office and tries to drum up business in a very bad market. Like he says, “who needs Vegas when we take a gamble every day we are open?”. He puts in twelve hour days and often goes in on weekends. It kills me to see how demoralized he is right now. Then to hear a US president deride small businesses…well, it just takes my breath away. He has NO BUSINESS being president of these great states. Sunnunu was correct…he needs to learn the American way of business. I’ll go one step further, I think he knows it, that is why he acts in the exact opposite in its interests. He hates our nation and you won’t convince me otherwise. No way.

herm2416 on July 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Bishop

Aflac

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Free dinner with Al $harpton?

Who wants to get thrown out of an all you can eat trough-a-thon?

viking01 on July 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I used to play the base canard. It sure was a pain to keep the thing in tune.

Mary in LA on July 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM

My brain obviously needs a jump start today! But you get what I meant. :)

INC on July 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

:) Just playing. It was clear, of course.

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Super success story! Congratulations to your entrepreneurs.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Romney’s selling T-Shirts with “I built my business, Mr. President” on the front and a quote from his speech yesterday on the back.

Love it!

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

We already know Obama is quackers.

andycanuck on July 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Good for your husband and he certainly deserves whatever success eventually comes his way, as it undoubtedly will. Yet I don’t doubt for a second that your husband is probably smarter and harder working than any number of 20-something’s in LA and silicon valley running gaming startups that are valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars each.

When you look at the statistics behind wealth, the number one indicator of anyone’s financial stature is the wealth of their parents. Hard work and business savvy may be a prerequisite of success but it doesn’t guarantee anything. Your family’s net worth is a much stronger indicator of your future financial status.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

canopfor on July 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM

cmsinaz on July 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

cmsinaz:-:)

canopfor on July 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Implicit in Obama’s little canard speech is that people who work hard to establish a business are not entitled to all of the fruits of their labor.

I find this ironic since, a few months ago, I started working for a franchisee of a major food service corporation. He and three of his business associates have put their asses on the line, each putting more money on the line than I will probably ever make in a year’s time with no guarantee of success.

At every turn, government on the city, state, and federal level have done NOTHING but regulate the ever-loving shit out of them. They have to do this. They can’t do that. And they can’t even THINK about the other thing. If they succeed, it won’t be because of government. It will be in spite of government.

Why do I bring this up? Simple. I was there from day one. Actually, I was there a few days before they opened to the public; myself, and several others who are still around some four-and-a-half months later. Of course the operating manager (my boss and one of the four investors) couldn’t have done it on his own. He had my help. And the help of every other employee who is working or has ever worked for him. And he pays us, not handsomely, but more than the going minimum wage. Government should have nothing to do with the social contract between myself and my boss, particularly not as it relates to “you didn’t do it by yourself.” That’s between myself, my boss, and no one else.

gryphon202 on July 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

HotAir is steering clear of this story like a free dinner with Al Sharpton.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

tips@hotair.com

Use it, instead of trying to divert from the topic of this thread.

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Well, I was just calling a canard a canard. Anyway, everyone at HA knows about the Beck story but it’s not PC to cover here. It’s already old news.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Your family’s net worth work ethic is a much stronger indicator of your future financial status.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

FIFY

gryphon202 on July 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Dysfunctional families teach dysfunctional lessons and wealthy families teach lessons in how to be and remain wealthy?

Shocker! Film at 11:00 /

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

O/T: did anyone just hear what Shep just said? On the no-fly list? Doesn’t matter! You just can’t fly in the back of a plane, you can fly in the front and fly it into a building if you want!

OMGosh! When are they going to can this bubblehead?

herm2416 on July 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Shocker! Film at 11:00 /

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

And wealthy families send their kids to Groton and other pathway private schools to the Ivy League.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I’m sure there is some leftist elitist literature that makes your argument, but:
I had no family wealth to help me get started. To the contrary, I remember in the summer of 1957 in Alabama my mom asking me if she could borrow from my piggy bank to buy groceries, and she would pay me back when my dad got paid at the end of the month. My dad supported not only his family but his almost-destitute mother and step-father.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Doing an interview with the leftist media and expecting fairness is like running barefoot through a busy cow pasture and expecting your feet to develop the smell of clover.

Don L on July 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM

You mean the filthy villains use their wealth to benefit themselves and their children?

Clearly we need to bring back the guillotine my comrade! /

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

David Taintor looks to like an arrogant waiter at one of these Yuppie restaurants with a cutesy name.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Those are awesome! Let’s build a lot more of those!

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Bishop

Aflac

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

…ROTFLMFAO!

…for the smartest most articulate President in generations…poor JugEars gets misunderstood alot.
Why is that?

KOOLAID2 on July 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

that may be true for a generation…but here in the US there’s much more turn over (in terms of quintiles).

(Obviously there’s the trust fundies that never have to work, and never have to think..and so therefore are uniformly leftists because of, well, their social calendars….100 years ago these same people would be talking about eugenics..and cleaning up some portions of, well, the human race..you know)

yes, bayam, that is your heritage speaking…congrats!

of course thru most history the landed aristocracy et al. kept everything kind off buttoned up

and in communist countries…well, i guess bayam doesn’t want to got there.

r keller on July 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Taintor – hey isn’t “Taint” a word that describes the area between the scrotum and the anus?

‘t ain’t balls, ‘t ain’t butt hole, neither……..

famous amos on July 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Those are awesome! Let’s build a lot more of those!

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Those are all in blue states where social justice reigns supreme.
Very odd?

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Those are awesome! Let’s build a lot more of those!

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Those are all in blue states where social justice reigns supreme.
Very odd?

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

It’s interesting that people with Groton backgrounds might ascribe some of their success to the wealth of their families, and be willing to increase their own taxes.

Not that higher taxes will solve this country’s problems- the fiscal cliff is strong medicine.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Thank you for your kind comment in the first paragraph; however, I strongly disagree with your second paragraph. My father’s father died when Dad was ten (1936). His mother took in boarders and laundry, they were on welfare. My dad did not finish beyond one year of college. He worked until he died, at 76. My dad died a millionaire because he had an outstanding work ethic, he believed an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay, we never took ONE vacation, although all four of us attended Catholic schools, and I was the only child to graduate from college–which I paid for MYSELF. I took out no loans, hence nine years of night and weekend classes, while working full time. My husband’s dad came from Scotland, virtually penniless. He and his father used to grow vegetables and sell them on the corner to raise money for him and his brother to attend college. He also paid his own way through school, was in the USMC, and raised four boys–one of whom is my husband. My husband worked his way through college, we have raised seven children together (four from his first marriage), helped put them through school. ALL children have learned a strong work ethic from both of us–NOT from the government. They see their father battling at work, they watch their money even more closely than we do, and we watch it closely. They will not buy anything if they can’t afford it–bear in mind, they (our three) are mid-teens to twenty years old–atypical behavior for that age group.

So, bayam, don’t presume that one’s “luck” comes from wealthy parents. Our “luck” has come through sheer hard work. Let me tell you, our net worth was considerably higher a few years ago–that is what happens when one wants to keep one’s employees–one tends to forego a paycheck to keep other people employed. Indeed, hard work and business savvy ARE a pre-requisite for success–familial wealth is not a barometer. If that were the case, why does it seem the scions of Hollywood are not out on the forefront of creating commerce?

herm2416 on July 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I think folks will appreciate Jon Lovitz’ take on the absurdity that is Barack

novaculus on July 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

what makes the left so ‘impressive’ is their zealotry…their fealty to their guy (think cult of personality)

no leftist, so far as i know, has said..boy, barry kind of went to far…i think he should walk that back (actually, maybe beckel did say something like that sub voce)

anyway…bayam..and other trolls, here is your guy being mocked

this is my favorite…and since, bayam, you like the techies, you’ll like this too

r keller on July 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM

herm2416 on July 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I don’t doubt that your past success came of hard work. I was referring to any number of socioeconomic studies on the predictors of individual income and net worth. In the overwhelming majority of cases, familial wealth is the best predictor.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

He long ago became tiresome, this imitation President. But now he’s tiring me out, just keeping up with the nonsense he says. Gotta hang in there, though, to outlast him if nothing else.

Okay, here we go (again).

I get that someone might drive on a public street on their way to their place of business (if not taking a subway). No problem. They and their tax-paying like (the 50% who pay taxes) sent money to a government that then paved a road. Can’t have everybody out there building roads on their own, makes no sense (thus public utility transmission lines and so forth).

But, he left out a few things (as usual) from his examples.

Somebody (or some company, if you can imagine that companies are people for a second, Mr. President) made the coffee he drank this morning. And shipped it to the store where the White House Chef shops. Same for the sweetener and Cream/2%/Coconut Milk he put in it. Same for the spoon with which he stirred it. The cup that held it. The chair he sat in. The shirt on his back. The tie he wore. The shoes and socks on his feet. The soap in the shower. The towel. Shall I go on?

Some business out there made all those things. So, what do we say to him? “You think you’re being President, but you’re not. Somebody else did that. Because, if you didn’t eat, you couldn’t survive and you didn’t make your breakfast from scratch, did you? And you’d have to be The (Naked) One if you had no clothes to wear to work. So, you’re not President at all.”

No, that doesn’t make any sense any more than his suggestion that riding to work on a taxpayer built highway means an entrepreneur didn’t start or build their business.

See how silly it sounds when somebody else spouts the same drivel?

IndieDogg on July 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

What’s more interesting is how liberals seem to have one set of rules for themselves and another for the people whose lives they want to legislate so desperately. Don’t the Obama girls go to a private school as well?

Conservatives believe that people should be given the opportunity to make it in life, but they don’t believe that the outcome should in any way be guaranteed.

Some people start out beautiful, or smart, or wealthy and others are not so bright, plain looking, or poor. We are all born with positives and negatives in life, and it is up to us to make it work with the cards we are dealt.

Life isn’t fair.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Yes yes yes, taxes, rich people, legs up, etc. And massive amounts of hypocrisy, right, among rich, permanently-entrenched, political-class people that need functioning schools for their own kids?

Anyway — the interesting bit. These are all focused. It’s beyond my experience to select a high school the same way one might select a college, by paying attention to the focus of the school itself. There’s science, dance, theater — these schools each have an emphasis. Amazing.

So, I guess we’re all agreed that until we can free ourselves from an overreaching government, the thing to do is to start printing vouchers as fast as we can print them, so these people can start franchising out a bit and start building a private infrastructure?

I love your idea, bayam.

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

David @ TPM- Hoist by his own canard.

waterytart on July 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM

OMGosh! When are they going to can this bubblehead?

herm2416 on July 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM

He looks deathly ill on top of being a peabrain.

slickwillie2001 on July 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Bayam, Obama’s grandparents put him through private school, he attended Columbia and Harvard, yet he became a very low paid community organizer! So much for family wealth. Now that he has two cents to rub together, despite his personal financial travails of only a few years ago, his daughters attend $30k annual tuition per child–Sidwell Friends. We do all have equal opportunities in this great nation, just not equal outcomes. If your fearless leader wants “a level playing field” why aren’t his children in the DC public school system? Why aren’t more of public school children offered the same opportunity of the Obama girls?

herm2416 on July 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

And that is why it needs to be confiscated by corruptocrats right comrade.

I am sick of you collectivists. You sh*& never works and harms millions along the way.

tom daschle concerned on July 18, 2012 at 8:28 PM

TPM, you had to have been really, really bored. A better use of your time – you could have been cleaning belly button lint out of your navel.

Dr Evil on July 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

…let’s not make too much of canard being synonymous with a species of waterfowl…that is true, but in French, a pleasant, melliflouous but rather inflexible language requiring an adenoidal condition and a certain “je n’cest bit me peasant” attitude to speak it properly….

…so, we move on….

Folks out there in cable-television-land have made some hay about Mr. O’s recent soul-bearing blunder resembling (if something nearly verbatim can be said to “resemble”) a speech recently gushed-forth by a certain faux-aboriginal Senate candidate from regions north of common sense. This “resemblitude” isn’t accidental. On both occasions, the pol’s in question were mouthing boilerplate Lefty collectivist dogma.

…let me explain….

Once upon a time, it was fashionable to think that “ownership is theft”, meaning that to own some “stuff” — especially when other folks down the way didn’t own that “stuff” or any “stuff” like it — meant that you must’ve cheated and/or stolen said “stuff” from the collective…the ultimate source of “stuff”. In Utopias (Utopii?), “stuff” isn’t created out of whole cloth, but magically appears from out of the anuses (anuii?) of well-meaning and altruistic and self-less bureaucrats, guided by those with well-stuffed resumes, and supply is limited (not surprising, considering the source).

No, say our betters in the Borg Republic, you don’t work and earn/make/invent stuff. To say that you do is heresy. Furthermore, once you have your ration of “stuff”, it’s not really yours…it still belongs to the collective…rather like software licensed from Microsoft or movies you pay to see…or sex, given or received from any other you can name, significant or otherwise. You have the use of it, but you don’t “own” it.

So, there you have it: stuff isn’t created, isn’t sweatted over, isn’t marketed, and surely isn’t sold…it comes form the latter stages of the State’s alimentary canal, and arrives sanitized and vetted for nutritional efficacy on your plate in monthly allotments…with a plastic spork.

That mindset continues on to define those who are in charge of allocating the “stuff”: they’re sinless, selfless, ideolically correct and morally impeccible heroes. Think the Soviet nomenclatura, and you’re close.

Was Mr. O’s speech of last weekend a “gaffe”, Kinsley-an or otherwise? I’m certain that it wasn’t. It certainly wasn’t planned. He knew that he wasn’t before a “safe” audience (i.e., one without recording equipment) as he had been pre-presidency when spoke of clinging to guns, etc…and look how “safe” that audience turned out to be!

No, it wasn’t a gaffe…it was a rare soul-bearing look into who Mr. O is. In both cases, Candidate Obama in 2008 and both Candidates Pocahontas and Obama in 2012, we were treated with something which slipped past the handlers, the pliant media ostensibly vetting candidates, and the Party…they spoke truth to power.

…the truth was a peek into Progressivism, and the handlers, et. al., wish that the power’d been on to his teleprompter and off to his mike….

…that’s the problem with Marxists is that when they feel comfortable and you give the a chance to speak, they tell the truth as they see it. Just as Mr. Roddenberry created an entire universe and worldview, complete with Tribbles, so too did Mr. Marx, with the help of Mr. Lenin. So, they tell the truth of the world as they see it, how things should be once we’ve thrown off the shackles of religion, capitalism, selfishness and the cult of individual achievement. The problem is that Mr. Marx’s world is about as fictional as that created in the televised 23rd Century. Just as there aren’t really any Vulcans, there aren’t really any selfless, sinless, invariably correct bureaucrats in the human family. Anyone who’s had their drivers license renewed recently, had mail misdirected, had to fill out their own taxes or has served in the military can tell you that.

Mind you, conservative commentators have a bit of a “la-la land” of their own, where individual initiative, hard work, and luck succeed. Ask the majority of restauranteurs…it usually isn’t the case. Mind you, most level-headed righty’s realize that rugged individualism isn’t a cure-all, and sometimes rugged individualists CAN be selfish, exploitative, cruel, greedy and short-sighted. Let’s be honest.

The true difference between them — the conservative go-getter and the progressive one-worlder — is that, unless he’s got something to sell you, to buy from you, or needs your input, the conservative will actually leave you alone once in a while. The progressive just can’t…you might be up to something…and he’s just got to have control over the somethings that might be up….

…success, after all, is relative. For some, success is ones labors paying off. For others, it’s a threat to a well-defined, well-oiled and totally theoretical system.

Mr. O (and, Ms. Dances-With-Totalitarians) are collectivists, and to the bone. There must be a system, that system must be controlled, and they must be the ones to control that system. They’re ideologically pure, meaning that they ignore anything which doesn’t fit into their worldview, however practical or revealing it may be. They “know” the cruelty of the world and want to protect us from it…rather as if we were children or mentally deficient or related to them. It’s maternalism/paternalism, but in a smothering, sterile sort of way. Wouldn’t want Junior getting his jumper all muddy out there succeeding, after all.

The whole “birther” distraction aside, Mr. O was never properly vetted by the afforementioned pliant media. Every now and then, though, he vets himself for us. It’d be nice if his opposition would pick up on these incidents of self-revelation. It would be useful.

Puritan1648 on July 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM

“je n’cest bit me peasant”

…bitE me…bite me peasant….

…favorite joke in the piece, and I screw it up…sheesh….

Puritan1648 on July 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I’m enjoying the heck out of watching these liberal twinkies desperately twisting their Captain Barky extra special secret decoder rings trying to put a positive spin on this turd of a statement.

natasha333 on July 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

In the overwhelming majority of cases, familial wealth is the best predictor.

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

My God!

This maroon makes UES look like a Rhodes Scholar!

Oh noes! You done unleashed a poorly sourced Wikipedia article!

Whatever shall we do ???

Well, Sparky, thanks for playing “Am I dumber than Obumber?”

Audience, please give him the one hand clapping salute for proving

“He IS dumber than Obumber!”

PolAgnostic on July 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Jazz, when they’re the only ones recording, the conversation is whatever they say it is.

IMO, record your conversations. Then there can’t be a doubt what is actually said. Even further, post the entire conversation online before the article is released so their opinion of the conversation is just that, their opinion.

itsspideyman on July 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM

You do a telephonic interview with an Obama lapdog so-called “journalist” from Talking Points Memo knowing what would happen — and you’re dismayed because your worst fears materialized?

Want some cheese to go with that whine, Jazz?

FlatFoot on July 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Talking Points Memo, or what would be referred to as…what’s the term for a group of hacks? A hackery of hacks? A stupid of hacks?

waelse1 on July 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM

waelse1 on July 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I’d suggest a murder of crowhacks.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 19, 2012 at 2:27 AM

If all it takes to create a successful business is access to taxpayer-funded services, then why aren’t we all millionaires?

skydaddy on July 19, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Our teleprompter-dependent sock puppet POTUS talking about people not deserving credit for their achievements is supreme irony.

Akzed on July 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Every single time this moron wants another “stimulus” it’s supposedly for infrastructure. He has already looted enough to REPLACE every friggin bridge in the country, but not ONE has even been repaired. Catch a clue, people.

PJ Emeritus on July 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Want some cheese to go with that whine, Jazz?

FlatFoot on July 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

+1000.

What is really funny is that Jazz Shaw is one of the whiny moderates who insists that the problem is those “extremist” conservatives and how Obama and his supporters are just misunderstood.

Perhaps if he gets reamed and misquoted enough by the liberals whose butts he desperately kisses for love, he might learn something.

northdallasthirty on July 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

bayam on July 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

And how is familial wealth generated?

Oh, that’s right — by hard work of a previous generation.

Someone always has to be first, bayam. But instead of getting off your rear and working like our parents did so that your descendants can have that advantage, you and your Obama scream and bleat and squall that you’re poor because your parents were lazy, and therefore other peoples’ work should be confiscated for your benefit.

You and your screaming Obama add absolutely nothing of value to this country. You are parasites who steal other peoples’ work because you’re too lazy to work yourself and then burn it up on useless items, just like your Choom Prince Obama stole from his grandparents’ so that he could smoke weed and snort coke.

northdallasthirty on July 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

TPM: “It’s hack all the way down.”

mojo on July 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM