CNN: Hey, how about noted nanny-state independent for Romney’s VP?

posted at 1:21 pm on July 18, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The veepstakes story has already brought out a lot of silly speculation and advice for Mitt Romney, but LZ Granderson’s column at CNN might take the blue ribbon.  With Romney trying to close the deal with the GOP grassroots he’ll need in November and fighting an attack from Barack Obama of being an out-of-touch rich elitist, what better choice might there be than … New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg?

We’re gonna need a lot more than a 16-ounce serving of a liquid libation to wash this down:

It seems he hasn’t figured out that as long as Barack Obama is president, his base will be fired up in spite of his dull personality, so what he doesn’t need to do is waste this pick on a running mate Republicans will like.

What he needs is someone who can attract voters on the fence.

A media darling with a successful track record to point to and someone whose social politics won’t immediately get them labeled by independents as “crazy.”

Enter Michael Bloomberg: that union-fighting/gay-couple-loving renegade who would make things complicated for Democrats because he’s managed to get elected three times in the most diverse region in the country while being a rich, old white guy.

And why would this work?

Four years ago, Sen. John McCain selected a game changer who turned out to be better in theory than in practice. Like Sarah Palin, Bloomberg would be a curve ball. But while she got people talking, the New York mayor would get people talking and thinking.

How?

By being something many of the other VP options are not: a real Republican. An old school Republican.

Er, did “old school Republicans” renounce their party and run as independents in order to curry favor back in the day?  Rudy Giuliani won two terms as mayor before Bloomberg and didn’t feel the need to bail out of the GOP to do so.  Bloomberg switched to independent in 2007 and remains one to this day.  Memo to CNN: Real Republicans are at least, you know, Republicans.

Last I checked, real Republicans didn’t feel the need to impose nanny-state restrictions on personal choices, either.  At the same time that this “real Republican” was boosting National Donut Day, he was imposing a top-down edict that forbade restaurants and other establishments from serving anything more than sixteen ounces of sugary cola at a time.  Bloomberg has also barred New York restaurants from using trans-fats in their cooking, and all but criminalized smoking outside the home.  How exactly will picking the Nanny in Chief of the Big Apple help sell Romney as an alternative to Barack Obama?

Heck, at least there would be a little upside.  Compared to Bloomberg, Romney looks positively middle-class.  And it’s not as if adding a multi-billionaire to the ticket would help Obama’s efforts to conduct a class-warfare campaign against Romney, is it?  Naaaaaah.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Is it possible for you to even look at the facts?

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM

When you say “look at the facts” clearly you mean “drink Romneys koolaid”. Just because two so-called “conservative” Republicans from the crappy Bush administration supported Romneycare doesn’t make it right and proper. Your argument isn’t based on the merits of Romneycare whatsoever, but on pure, naked partisanship. Romneycare is good because of the letter R and Obamacare is bad because of the letter D; never mind that they are substantially the same.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

One of the reasons people mock Bloomburg is because he is a petty nanny-stater who is trying to control the small things, whereas Romney is in the big-leagues, forcing every single person, not just smokers or pop drinkers, to do it his way at great expense to themselves.FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The people of Massachusetts OVERWHELMINGLY supported the health care law by 61% in 2006 at the time of passage.
Other signs of public support for the law include the following:

•77% support providing subsidized coverage
•58% support requiring individuals to have insurance
•71% say the law has been successful at reducing the number of uninsured in Massachusetts

As governor are you saying that he should have gone directly against the wishes of his citizens? Is that what a democracy means to you?

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

If someone like Bloomberg is the VP pick then I’ll vote third party. I kid you not.

GardenGnome on July 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I hate the bloomburglar but I’d vote for him before I’d vote for Romney.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

WAIT! Since when is Willard trying to close the deal? Snubbing Palin and pissing off Ron Paul’s people [their delegates SHOULD be allowed!] is not my idea of closing the deal, but of tossing it into the ash can.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Memo to CNN: Real Republicans are at least, you know, Republicans.

Really? Since when?

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It’s more realistic than Bloomberg would want to be on the other ticket, not Romney’s.

Marcus on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Wrong. You are being willfully blind here. Fact: Romney was the governor of a state which OVERWHELMINGLY wanted this health care law. 61% in fact. Six years later it is still overwhelmingly favored by an even higher margin (66% happy with it). Did you even read what I posted? It passed by an almost unheard of majority in the Mass legislature. To oppose it, Romney would have had to in effect go DIRECTLY against the wishes of the citizens of Massachusetts. How is that comparable to Obamacare which is directly in conflict with the Constitution of the United States and contains so many unknown provisions that Nancy Pelosi said we’d have to pass it to find out what was in it???

Are you truly incapable of seeing facts in a rational manner?

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Now that I got that our of my system… and spit…

There is no way on the face of this Earth that Romney is foolish enough to choose an idiot like Bloomberg as VP.

Bloomberg is what you’d get for VP if Biden and Spectre had a love child!

Romney will select someone who is COMPETENT, RELIABLE, LOYAL, EFFECTIVE, and EFFICIENT and who has the experience to step in, should the necessity arise, also would lead the nation along a similar path as Romney would have chosen.

thatsafactjack on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

The “rich old white guy” and “blue-state moderate” angles are already taken by Mitt Romney. Bloomberg doesn’t balance the ticket. A young, articulate and LIKABLE person would.

wgant on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I hate the bloomburglar but I’d vote for him before I’d vote for Romney.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

No way you could support a knucklehead like Bloomberg…not unless you got pictures of Romney using puppies as putting balls.

Bloomberg is a Independent now, so any marginal ties he had to the GOP at best are RINO like.

Again, Romney, not first choice, but he’s going to wind up being the last, best choice out of the two.

The ONLY way he could flub it is to pick a guy like Bloomberg…He might as well pick Pelosi, for cripes sake.

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I think it is time to break out the Wellers’. If the libruls paid as much attention to the stupidity in the dhimpcrapt party as they do to anything in the Republican party, we wouldn’t have as much stupidity on net posts.

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

who is LZ Granderson and why should i care?

r keller on July 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I hate the bloomburglar but I’d vote for him before I’d vote for Romney.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Really? You’d prefer to vote for a quasi-Democrat who has moved to strip citizens of the right to decide how thirsty they are and how salty they like their food just because he wasn’t the one to spank your hero Ron Paul in the primaries? The same Ron Paul who blew up his own campaign by saying things like fences to protect our borders could ‘keep us in’? Sure. That sounds perfectly rational.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

This story is to distract us from Romney’s good day yesterday, get us fighting & depress turnout. Don’t fall for it.

Dark Star on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I will wait until Palin states its a official thing that she wont be there.

But as for Ron Paul and his 5% Band, BFD.

Janet said it best “What have you done for ME, Lately?”

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Bloomberg?

I wouldn’t vote for Bloomie for dog-catcher.

mojo on July 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Bloomberg?

WAIT! Since when is Willard trying to …
DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Ya know, anytime I see the derogatory names of “willard” or “mitttens” appearing in a comment, I automatically discontinue reading that comment, note the author, and never read another of that author’s comments. The primary is over you paulista idiot. Either get on board, or go to some other party. We are all sick of reading your perjorative comments.

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Dark Star on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

…mittens never has good days

Pragmatic on July 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

GardenGnome on July 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM

People in politics make ridiculous decisions all the time…hopefully Romney has learned from others past mistakes. But Romney would be a total fool to bring Bloomy, or anyone like him, along for the ride to November.

JetBoy on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Are you truly incapable of seeing facts in a rational manner?

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Let’s just say that our interpretation of the facts are different. You obviously don’t give a crap about the rights of the minority in Mass and embrace mob rule. I don’t. You are apparently a corporatist that doesn’t hold much value in the principles of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I do. You think Romneycare is great and Obamacare is for partisan reason, I’m not partisan, I’m just an American who is concerned about my country.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

LOL :D I really don’t think they can help themselves.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I think I get it. The media want to raise speculation about various RINOs and liberals being likely choices, then when Romney actually chooses a conservative the lamestreams will portray the selection to be extreme right in comparison.

Reggie1971 on July 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The only reason CNN is suggesting this absurdity is because it would mean losing the South, Evangelicals, Reagan democrats and just about any group of sane people.

Can anyone imagine Bloomberg venturing outside of the liberal conclaves to campaign? Southerners would regard him as the nanny-state, over-bearing freak that he is.

Yeah, two Northeastern, wealthy dudes that the MSM can savage.

Try again, Lefties.

Cody1991 on July 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

it’s because they know that mittens is a lefty at heart….that’s why they even bother throwing out a guy like bloomberg’s name as possible VP to mittens milquetoast!

NOW MORE THAN EVER. . . AMERICA NEEDS CONSERVATIVES IN CHARGE FOR A CHANGE!
Step 1 dump mittens [mittens don't fit so he must quit]!
Step 2 nominate Jindal who will then pick West
Step 3 cake-walk over obama to the White House!

Pragmatic on July 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

who is LZ Granderson and why should i care?

r keller on July 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Some dope with an internet connection and you shouldn’t.

Lost in Jersey on July 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

L
O
F
L
!

kevinkristy on July 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I almost vomitted on my iPad, but then I realized that the suggestion came from the Commie/NAZI Network. Perhaps they will recommend AlGore next…

oldleprechaun on July 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Are you kidding me? “Rights of the minority?” Is that really the best you got? Do you really want to expand that thought a little? What about the rights of the NAMBLA members? What about the rights of the poor felons who can’t vote? Shall I go on? You know that I have a lot of respect for you, FR, but isn’t it time that you let go of this absurd vendetta you hold against Romney and realize that he’s our best hope of getting rid of 0bama? And you didn’t answer my question: are you really honestly saying that you think Romney would have been discharging his duty to the citizens of Massachusetts by vetoing a law that was so clearly wanted by the people? There was NEVER any question of it running afoul of the MASSACHUSETTS state Constitution. NEVER. I thought you were in favor of states being allowed to exercise the rights reserved to them by the Constitution of the UNITED STATES of America. When did that change?

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You make me sick, comparing people who resent being forced by dictators like Romney and Obama to buy expensive insurance from their cronies to pedophiles? You un-American POS!

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Obama in the White House is one of the few things that could make me vote for Romney. (Hillary being the other)
Bloomberg on the ticket is about the only thing that could make me leave “president” blank on the ballot.

single stack on July 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Never heard off this person in my life, this LZ Granderson. Search.

Hey! It’s Milli Vanilli

mapper on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

OT/Drudge

And not just by a little. Currently, the average Canadian household is more than $40,000 richer than the average American household. The net worth of the average Canadian household in 2011 was $363,202, compared to around $320,000 for Americans.

Freakin’ floppy-headed Canadians. Let the invasion begin.

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

NOW MORE THAN EVER. . . AMERICA NEEDS CONSERVATIVES IN CHARGE FOR A CHANGE!
Step 1 dump mittens [mittens don't fit so he must quit]!
Step 2 nominate Jindal who will then pick West
Step 3 cake-walk over obama to the White House!

Pragmatic on July 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Really? We should hand the nomination to someone who made it clear that he wasn’t interested in running for President, who did not take part in the debates or spend even one minute campaigning for votes? As a party we should flip the middle finger to the millions of Republicans who donated money and time and support to their candidates during the primaries? Really? Brilliant plan. I guess people are right, your nickname really is supposed to be ironic.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

single stack on July 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Agreed.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Yes Romney had the right to piss all over the Constitution and Bill of Rights because it doesn’t apply to the state, but we have a right to oppose to the death un-American POS like that being promoted and given the opportunity to do the same thing to the entire country.

If Romney picks Bloomberg for his VP, you’ll be making the same argument about him, saying he has a right to violate the principles of the Constitution and run NY like his personal gestapo, that doesn’t mean he’ll do it when he’s VP… as though the past record of Americas worst, most tyrannical/crony politicians is immaterial.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

But…but…the right of the minorities!!! Isn’t that what you said? How was Romney a dictator again, exactly? Was it in the way that he was lawfully elected governor and then allowed his state’s lawfully elected representatives to pass an incredibly popular law that is to this day OVERWHELMINGLY approved by the citizens of Massachusetts? Also: ad hominems just make it seem like you don’t really have any cogent arguments to make. And I like to assume for the sake of argument that you take your arguments seriously.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Romney dictated that everybody in Mass is required under penalty of law to buy expensive healthcare insurance from the cronies that donated to Romney’s campaign.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Beat me to it.

Like i stated before, I am happy of sorts, that there is loyalty to a candidate, but really.

I would love to see either West or Jindal run. But running now is not going to result in that 3rd party swell.

This isn’t Hollywood. Sometimes, it takes time and the problem isn’t solved in 2 hours or even 2 sequels. No one likes it but there you go.

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

What will you be fighting for after the convention? You’ve already lost the nomination battle, I think, but I guess you want to take it to the last possible line, and that’s the convention. When the convention is over, and the nomination is over over, and it’s Romney, then what?

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Bloomie?!?

What a CLEAR, UNEQUIVOCAL WAY for Romney to tell Republicans: VOTE OBAMA!

Czar of Defenestration on July 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Bloomberg wouldn’t bring in a single vote west of the Hudson River.

After Romney just gave a great speech about government getting out of the way of private enterprise, he’s going to run with a guy who wants to limit soda consumption?

As they say in Bwooklyn or da Bwonx: Fuhgeddaboudit!!

Steve Z on July 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

You do realize that no one in Romney’s camp has ever even implied that Bloomberg would be considered for Ambassador to Guadalhoopistan let alone VP, right? I mean, you do understand that this is all just a hollow ploy by a network completely hostile to the Romney campaign designed to generate some kind of interest? Bottom line is that you don’t believe that in the rights of the states to exercise their prerogatives under the Tenth Amendment. Wow. I have to admit that that really surprises me because even Ron Paul said this:

..the federal government can’t go in and prohibit the states from doing bad things. And I would consider that a very bad thing, but you don’t send in a federal police force because they’re doing it. So they do have that leeway under our Constitution.

Gee. What other parts of our Constitution do you disagree with?

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Bloomie?!?

What a CLEAR, UNEQUIVOCAL WAY for Romney to tell Republicans: VOTE OBAMA!

Czar of Defenestration on July 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Yep. Not his idea. CNN’s idea as part of their ongoing 24/7 Obama re-election efforts.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It’s your convention, not mine. I stopped calling myself a Republican after Reagan left office and have been an independent ever since. I couldn’t care less about your crappy convention and don’t think taxpayers should be paying for it, either. The Republican Party made perfectly clear during the primary/caucuses that the Republican Party is a private club and they can cheat and disenfranchise Ron Paul supporters if they want and there’s nothing to stop them, so why should the Republican Party, a criminal organization IMO, get taxpayer money to hold a pep rally that is nothing more than orchestrated propaganda?

Once again the Republican and Democrat Parties are ripping off American taxpayers; so what else is new?

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Do you actually understand how a representative democracy works? At all? Do you even read direct replies to your comments? I told you this earlier:

Furthermore, the plan was supported overwhelmingly in the MA legislature with 198 house reps supporting the bill and only 2 voting against it – 99% voting in favor of the plan! The bill also passed through the state senate without a single dissenting vote

Now tell me, what could the citizens of Massachusetts do if they were unhappy with their representation that the unfortunate citizens of a dictatorship could not do? I’ll give you a minute to think….

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I’m not a Republican, and you didn’t answer my question.

Nevermind.

Axe on July 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

(thankfully the VP doesn’t do squat)

Kataklysmic on July 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Except on those rare occasions one goes from being VP to being President within a manner of hours.

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Bottom line: Ron Paul didn’t have the votes. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

So why should I care? I’m not voting for Romney and have said so all along, starting back in ’07. And anyway, Bloomberg would be a huge improvement over Romney, as much as I despise both men, so I couldn’t care less about the motivations of CNN. I think their suggestion makes perfects sense, why should America’s two most extreme far-right politicians be on the same ticket together, it makes perfect sense.

And I would be proud to vote against two corporate fascists on the same ticket and two Marxists on the D ticket all in one fell swoop by voting for Gary Johnson, the American candidate.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

s/b matter

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

LOL! Bloomberg has as much chance of getting on the ticket as Jerry Sandusky.

MaiDee on July 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Flora Duh on July 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Ha. Like that’s ever happened before….

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I’ve asked you so many legitimate questions on this thread because I was truly interested in hearing your answers and all you do is the equivalent of sticking your fingers into your ears and shouting “NANANANAN! I can’t hear you!”

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

It passed by an almost unheard of majority in the Mass legislature.

cynccook

snort- that’s one of the most delusional things i’ve heard all week. there were ,oh, say, pretty much less than a handful of Republicans in the MA legislature at the time ( there are more now.). willard DID NOT write the bill- the speaker of the house and health insurance shills did. brave sit mittenz did veto portions- all easily over riden by the totally heard of all the time Democrat overwhelming majority.

the MA legislature passing a socialist based bill into law is known as every day they are in sessions not an ‘unheard of majority”. with 3 speakers of the house being convicted felons, romneycare can hardly be said to come out of a sterling example of democracy in action. more like hacktopia.

most of the polls about how everyone here in MA loves them some romneycare all the time comes out of harvard university and others associated with not only the passing of the bill but it’s bureaucracy- like everything in MA. they’re part of the tax payer gravy train- of course they say we love romneycare. that doesn’t mean it’s working. it’s not. it’s propped up with federal funds and in the red. small businesses stopped screaming about the costs because they simply dropped offering insurance to their employees- something ‘unheard of’ in a state where previously even the tiniest of businesses were forced to, if they had insurance for themselves through their business, to offer it to employees. Ma long championed forcing businesses to offer health insurance.

effectively people long covered lost insurance under romneycare- it will happen with robertstax- even more so.they also lost their jobs.

mittens on July 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Oh yeah, Goofy Johnson, that’s the ticket. Why not Arlen Specter, another traitor to the Republican party? How do you fans of Goofy know that he won’t change parties again, maybe to the democratic party?

slickwillie2001 on July 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Sarah Palin Save McCain from being blown out in 2008
Bloomberg would insure a blow out for Romney in 2012

Gwillie on July 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Bottom line: Ron Paul didn’t have the votes. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Didn’t then and still doesn’t.

I can understand the frustration: But leaving the Party isnt enough…saying you’ll vote for a 3rd Party isn’t enough, and in some ways it’s intellectually dishonest.

There are *plenty* of 3rd Party Choices, from the Greens, to the Jeffersonian, to the Reds/Maoist. They all have the right to run, they’re all different from the 2 parties in play, and nary one of them have a hoot in hell of winning.

Offer the public someone they will vote for and they will. If you try to be to much to everyone, you tend to wind up like the current Administration.

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

If Bloomberg is on the ticket, I will stay home and wait for the rapture. Absolutely no way will I vote for Romney if he picks someone to the left of him.

jaimo on July 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

most of the polls about how everyone here in MA loves them some
mittens on July 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM

It’s delusional? Really? I thought Massachusetts Legislature records were a reliable source, but I’d love to see your source that contradicts the offical count. Please link it here. Right now. And getting back to my original point with FR, so you only favor our system when it delivers the results you favor? So you really do want a dictatorship then? Got it.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM

jaimo on July 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

He’s not picking Bloomberg. CNN’s attempt to smear him. Sheesh.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It’s like trying to talk sensibly with someone from a cult.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:15 PM

FloatingRock

romney did not force this into the law-it had nothing to do with romney. it was the democrats who wrote the bill. romney was opposed to the penalty and wanted rather people to show they had certain funds set aside for healthcare-like health savings accounts. it was the speaker of the house, a felon and democrat who had formed the bill with his democrat cronies in the insurance industry.

look, i think romney is a tool for going along with this mess and being proud of it afterwards- even if he vetoed the whole thing it would have done no good. i don’t think the states have the right to force people to buy a product either but claiming romney wrote the whole thing and forced it on the democratic legislature of MA is a bold faced lie. even if romney was too RINO and short sighted to not run from any association with it.

the converse of this is, however, as gov. of a state with an elected legislature that overwhelming passed this hunk of poop-in a democracy willard really had no choice but to sign it or be seen as standing against the will of the people- even if those people were represented by shills and hacks of longstanding with vast lists of cronies to appease none of whom are actually the citizens and tax payers of MA.

the MA legislature is provably corrupt and overwhelmingly democrat-socialist: teddicrats.they’re every bit as uninterested in representing the people as the congress that rammed through robertstax. all of romneycare rose from the likes of teddy kennedy and dukakis- it’s really teddicare. romney just was a johnny come lately looking for blue state cred so he could run for president. i still don’t forgive him but will still vote It out.

mittens on July 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

jaimo on July 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I mean I know its just adolescent woolgathering over at the Atlanta Pravda division, but I would be gobsmacked if Romney who could get a good chance to grab the WH finally, makes a blunder like that.

I expect him to pick a somewhat flawed VP (not everything the base wants), but no way would he really risk it on a Hail Mary like a Bloomberg or Christie (who hasn’t been fully vetted yet IMHO) .

My only drawback is that outside of West, there aren’t any real predominate Conservatives with a military background that’s available. But that can be waived if his FP team is solid.

John Roberts as SecState? I would leave Condi in an advisory role, shes a lot better that way, and she doesn’t deserve to be put through the racial wringer she had to endure last go-round.

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM

mittens on July 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Wow. You surprised me, but well said! :D

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Just heard on Hannity’s radio show that Marco Rubio is the Tea Party Express choice for VP.

Link: http://www.teapartyexpress.org/

Washington, DC –Tea Party Express Chairman Amy Kremer announced today the results of the nationwide survey of Tea Party Express supporters that showed Florida U.S. Senator Marco Rubio the favorite vice-presidential candidate.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Oh Hell No!

New York City residents wanted him ; they can keep him!

ProfShadow on July 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Uh – huh?

Pork-Chop on July 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

jaimo on July 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

He’s not picking Bloomberg. CNN’s attempt to smear him. Sheesh.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Ditto. It’s amusing how desperate msm is, they didn’t manage to get any trustworthy leak from the romney camp re: the vp choice and they went all into wild make-up stuff territory and overactive imagination mode. Methinks they can use a vacation to declutter their highly dysfunctional collective brain and come back when the vp is officially announced…once they have a name, they can start the dirt dig-up and lie fabrication with more energy and enthusiasm :)…

jimver on July 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I believe that this year, even more than most years, the VP pick means nothing. Job #1 is getting rid of Hype and Blame. I couldn’t even think of a pick Romney could make that would have any effect on me one way or the other. I stand corrected!

Russ in OR on July 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

The fastest way for Romney to lose my vote is to nominate this idiot. It would prove to me that Romney isn’t a serious candidate and that he is no conservative.

Dollayo on July 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM

HOW ABOUT FU NANNY DOOMBERG?

“The Absolute Shalls” of Progressive Tyranny Return

M2RB: The Kinks

You keep all your smart modern writers
Give me William Shakespeare
You keep all your smart modern painters
I’ll take Rembrandt, Titian, da Vinci, and Gainsborough

I was born in a welfare state
Ruled by bureaucracy
Controlled by civil servants
And people dressed in grey
Got no privacy got no liberty
’Cause the 20th-century people
Took it all away from me.

- “20th Century Man” by The Kinks

“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

- C S Lewis

“Nothing so needs reforming as other people’s habits. Fanatics will never learn that, though it be written in letters of gold across the sky: It is the prohibition that makes anything precious.”

- Mark Twain

“Very little good has ever been done by the absolute shall.”

- Anonymous American clergyman, 19th century

Resist We Much on July 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM

jimver on July 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sigh. I don’t know about that; look how well it’s working on some of the intellectual giants around here…

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Dollayo on July 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Please. At least read the first 5 lines of the post.

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Why is there even a post about this non-story, which has a zero percent chance of happening?

bigdubs on July 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

How to destroy the fabric of space-time as we know it: Drop a libertarian and a Bloomberg into a beaker and shake it.

Catahoula on July 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Bloomberg, Christie, Ayotte, they’re all the same. Northeast RINO’s that will lose the election for Romney.

Mr. Arrogant on July 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

“(Big) Gulp” — hilarious!!!

KS Rex on July 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Now that you have stated that you will not vote for the republican nominee (being the pusulista you are), and you have thoroughly removed yourself from being a party member or supporting the party independently, why don’t you butt out of the discussion? You have already shown you have nothing to add and are against anything the repubs can do from here on. (I am not a republican, but will vote for a yellow dog before I will vote for obama.) After your previous statements, I don’t think that many really care what you think. If you would state that if Romney would come out and support yada yada, then you would support him, you may have some merit. However, you are prejudgemntal and would not vote for him since before the primaries. What is the good or interest in your opinion after that? You are not trying to contribute to the anti-obama effort, which is the real necessity.

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

jimver on July 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

:) yeah, well, our side suffers too, but from a different psychological affliction, wild projectionitis :)…it’s almost like they are rooting for him to make a wacko choice like Mayor B, so that their projections come true :). I mean why the heck wait till he actually makes an announcement, right?….that’s waaay too rational and boring :)…

jimver on July 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Catahoula on July 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Don’t stir :)….yep, perfect antidote for a perfectly boring summer day, unless you are on vacay at the beaches and then you don’t care :)…which reminds me, where’s my martini :)…

jimver on July 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Top 12 VP choices of 8,000 Tea Party Express supporters:

Marco Rubio 66.0%
Paul Ryan 49.9%
Allen West 46.8%
Rick Santorum 44.0%
Sarah Palin 41.0%
Michele Bachmann 40.9%
Scott Walker 39.8%
Mike Huckabee 39.1%
Chris Christie 37.9%
Newt Gingrich 34.7%
Herman Cain 34.5%
Rand Paul 31.9%

Bloomberg? ROFL I doubt he was even thot of!!

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM

romney did not force this into the law-it had nothing to do with romney.

mittens on July 18, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Don’t lie, it’s one of Romney’s proudest accomplishments proven by the fact that he had a lavish bill signing ceremony and it’s the only thing Romney has not and never will flip flop on.

And in fact another Romney supporter just wasted all of his/her time in this thread saying that Romneycare, unlike Obamacare, is awesome and Republicans love it, in fact it’s a GOP idea!

Maybe all of the unprincipled and/or dishonest Romney supporters should get their story straight.

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Jindal’s not on the list so the poll isn’t legit.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Yes, I am quite committed to voting Obama out of office. I’m even willing to look more at Romney’s business knowledge and experience–something Obama is sorely lacking–and think that it outweighs the misgivings I have about more liberal adventures in his past. But if Romney wants me to seriously think about looking third party, nominating Bloomberg would do it. That being said, I doubt that this is more than idle speculation from CNN.

PerceptorII on July 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Jindal’s not on the list so the poll isn’t legit.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I noticed that too. I have no idea. Perhaps he was on the list, but not in the top 12. It is strange tho, I agree.

bluefox on July 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Charlie Crist

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM

whadda yuck…that might be the only pick that would keep conservatives away from the voting booth…

RedInMD on July 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Why do you think C(rap)NN is throwing it out there ??

cableguy615 on July 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Besides naming a Democrat, this is the only thing Romney could do that would make me vote for whoever the Libertarians nominate.

Lawdawg86 on July 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Romney didn’t dictate anything. It’s a law that was duly enacted by the Massachusetts legislature, not a diktat from the governor’s mansion.

single stack on July 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

WOW! The liberal supporting couch potato ‘speaks’! Color this grass roots activist totally unimpressed.

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I will wait until Palin states its a official thing that she wont be there.

Janet said it best “What have you done for ME, Lately?”

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM

It is clear to everyone here that you are waiting for SOMETHING while keeping that couch warm, but for what? Do we need to send Mitt over there to carry your arse to the GOP HQ?

What I’ve been doing for over a decade is called Grass Roots Activism. IMHO, the TEA Party Patriots were late to the party. I’ve been doing the heavy lifting the RomBot couch potatoes REFUSE to do today, refused to do in 2010, and have never done in their entire miserable lives!

Should I look down on lazy people like you? All I know for certain that I’ve earned the right to do so, especially after the HISTORIC TEAnami of 2010. /smug

Go ahead and prove me wrong. Get involved NOW then after the elections you can go tell me to stick it. I DARE YOU!!!

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Corporations Aren’t People, But Trees Are!

M2RB: Depeche Mode, Wembley Stadium, 1986

Resist We Much on July 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Charlie Crist

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Orange you thinking that he is more Speaker material?

Resist We Much on July 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Memo to CNN : F off.

Fuquay Steve on July 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I will wait until Palin states its a official thing that she wont be there.

Janet said it best “What have you done for ME, Lately?”

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

What the heck heavy lifting are you doing exactly and bragging about it day in and day out…people who actually do somehting have the decency of not vocalizing it ad nauseam….If you are so involved as a volunteer as you maintain and have a day job too, then when do you find the time to constantly post here for hours in a row and infest HA with your non stop gary johnson propaganda?? besides, what exactly do you call heavy lifting that the rombots aren’t doing, but you are…campaigning for gary frrackin jonhson, excuse me, but did it occur to you that we don’t do it because we don’t want garry friggin jonhson….so there, enough nonsense, you are not doing this for ”us’, ‘us’ have chosen already and it’s ROmney…so whoever you work for is your personal business and definitely you do not do this for us ‘rombots’, you’re in for yourself…and such am not interested in hearing about it….

jimver on July 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Hey, how about noted nanny-state independent for Romney’s VP?

Funny! Short Answer. No! Long Answer HeII No!

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Oy, you are dense or really, really unfunny.

I said i sent support to Mitt; I donated a little money to a general fund and, when they aren’t as brick headed as you are, debate friends that will vote in Nov.

You know, like actual voters n stuff.

I’ve never claimed to be the Reaper of GOP Votes. I do what I can and that’s it. YOU, OTOH are during 100x what I’m doing and I am willing to bet, my candidate will win, while yours will fade out like a bad AM station.

Congrats, you’ve worked for a group for over a decade that has LESS name recongnition than the TEA Party, which was started in less that 3 years.

Doesn’t say much about *your* track record, huh?

Again, *YOU* stated you aren’t supporting Romney, but Gary Johnszzzzzz. So why do you even care if the “Rom-Bots” sit home and eat Cheetos or go out door to door getting votes now? Doesn’t that apathy help *your* candidate, Gov Snoozer?

OMG so you want to take credit for the TEA party sucess of 2010?

How can you? I thought you were a “Grass Roots Activist”?

(again, champ, /smug only works when you have something credible to be /smug about, mmmkay?)

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Dude, I’m telling you to stick it, now….metaphorically speaking of course…:o)

Here’s the future for you.

Johnson doesn’t win via “Brokered Convention”

Johnson doesn’t win a General Election.

Johnson withdraws from active Political Life, due to Natural Selection.

BlaxPac on July 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM

DISCLAIMER: HAVE NOT READ THE POST NOR THE TREAD. JUST SHOOTING FROM THE HIP.

IF THIS EVENTUATES, I WILL SERIOUSLY CONSIDER VOTING FOR OBAMA!

semi ;-)

..but now I know how the TrueCons feel and it hoits.

The War Planner on July 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

DannoJyd on July 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I think I can safely say that you are insane. (And based on your comments on other threads, a coward too.) But being a coward may excuse youfrom being insane.

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Or vice versa

Old Country Boy on July 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM

FloatingRock on July 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Are you truly incapable of seeing facts in a rational manner?

cynccook on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Well, if 61% of the people wanted it, that totally justifies forcing the other 39% to buy products they didn’t want at a higher rate than they had to pay to subsidize the ones who wanted insurance they couldn’t afford.

Starts sounding a lot like socialism…

tom on July 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM