Say it ain’t so: The Obamas get booed for dissing the Kiss Cam

posted at 9:21 am on July 17, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

The last time I was at a basketball game, I wondered to myself, “What kind of person doesn’t kiss for the Kiss Cam? Give the people what they want!” It’s a bit of harmless fun that makes everyone in the arena happy that we can cajole even the shyest among us into a little friendly smooch or full-on PDA. It’s peer pressure for a good cause.

Turns out the Obamas are those kind of people. I would not have guessed the guy who now jumps at every possible chance to be Crooner-in-Chief would get all timid, here. According to the pool report, the POTUS and FLOTUS were booed when they wouldn’t lip-lock on demand at the USA vs. Brazil men’s basketball game at the Verizon Center in D.C. Monday. As they should have been. We respect the office, but we treasure more our freedom to heckle even the highest office holders when they’re going all buzz kill at our sporting events.

The populist can’t pucker up? He’s normally so good at giving each audience exactly what it wants at the moment it wants it. What’s next? Sullenly sitting during The Wave? Observing the 7th-inning Supinity?

Turns out the president and his wife got a second chance, and delivered. They also made sure the press was present for it. As Zeke Miller of Buzzfeed caught in the press pool report, the press was sitting outside the Verizon Center in vans during much of the game, but were brought back in and given a clear view of the Obamas for their second shot at the Kiss Cam. Because nothing’s sexier than a second try at spontaneity. I wonder which moment will get more coverage.

Photos of both the diss and the delivery are at the link, along with the press pool reports.

As if that weren’t enough, there’s this tidbit buried inside the story on the USA women’s team’s rout of Brazil. They played before the men’s team, but to fewer famous audience members:

The team met with President Obama in the locker room after the game. He arrived after the game had ended, just before the men’s game.

I see how it is. War on women.

As for the actual games, both men’s and women’s teams won handily, but not without some sloppy play. The men’s team trailed Brazil by 10 in the first half. Safe to say there’s some gelling to do before London. The Romneys have some time to get their game together, too, before they make an appearance at the opening ceremony of the Olympics next week. Start smooching!

Update: From steebo77 in comments, “I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough whoopie.” Ha.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It was her fault for waxing her mustache before the game.

Shiny_Tiara on July 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Are we even sure that Obama was there to support Team USA? He loves him some Soros Brazil!

cicerone on July 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle
You need a point? You come here daily and crap on threads, and you ask someone to make a point? STFU, and go back under the rock you trolls share………..

angrymike on July 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

FIFY

katablog.com on July 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

…thanks!…that works too! (:->)

KOOLAID2 on July 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I’m with the president and First Lady on this one. Kiss Cam, above all other Cams, needs to die.

It’s one thing when they show you on the Jumbotron and then you’re free to do whatever you want, like wave, smile, jump up and down, or cover your face. But now we have these obnoxious “Cams” that tell you what to do. Kiss! Make a muscle! Moon the camera! Punch the person sitting next to you!

Kiss Cam is easily the worst. Any sign of affection should be genuine, and not forced because a bottle spun your way, some jerks made a tink sound on their glasses at a wedding reception, or because you just ended up on the big screen. Plus, if someone gives his/her partner a sweet, lovely smooch on the cheek, the people still boo. Elitists!

Die, Kiss Cam. Die. So that’s, what, three things I agree with Obama on now?

bmmg39 on July 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM

angrymike on July 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

…(:->)…never had a concern when people picked on Ann for the equestrian therapy for MS…never had a problem with the Trig comments or comments about the daughter …but you say …”can you blame him?” and the mental midget hypocrite comes out screaming!…that’s why it’s not worth engaging feces…you said it better!

KOOLAID2 on July 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Given his track record this mean the death of thin mints

workingclass artist on July 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Thin Mints were not successful without me.
/bho

VietVet_Dave on July 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Somewhere on the campaign trail…

Girlscout: Look Mr.President I won my troops best cookie seller this year…and I did it riding my bike

Obama: Great…But you didn’t earn that patch yourself

workingclass artist on July 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Obama kissed his beard?

May they have the same success as the Gores did.

Schadenfreude on July 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I hope they fail.

Pork-Chop on July 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I wouldn’t kiss my wife for some stupid “Kiss Cam”. We aren’t performing monkeys for an audience.

Agreed. I despise this administration with the heat of ten thousand suns. But I hate this kind of manipulation.

Chriscom on July 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I wanted to throw up! Also, during the half-time interview. You can’t even enjoy a basketball game any more without his mug on the TV.

silvernana on July 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Gosh! If he were sitting next to me, he could kiss my A…..!

GCStateConservative on July 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

“Kiss my thingamajig!”

Nutstuyu on July 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I was at a Marlins game with my secretary when they started the Smooch Cam.

I thought, “Uh-oh,” and moved to another row.

SWLiP on July 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Would that be the very top row where the secretary has no choice but to “sit” on your lap? Sorry. Had to go there. Anyone else remember that video from the early days of YouTube?

Nutstuyu on July 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I’m there to watch the damn game. The Kiss Cam is womanly.

NoDonkey on July 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Hey, hey now! Stop right there! Being “womanly” is a positive attribute of a woman. :-) You might try “womanish”, “girly”, or “effeminate”… ;-)

Mary in LA on July 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Mary in LA on July 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Maybe he’s talking about little Bammie’s effeminacy.

slickwillie2001 on July 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Who’s to say they weren’t booing for completely other reasons? Maybe dumb America is starting to catch on.
stukinIL4now on July 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Because their sudden and unexpected arrival moments before tip was cheered wildly, much to my dismay from my couch.

jjraines on July 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

When he first glanced over he thought he was sitting next to Samuel L Jackson. Say what again!

sgtstogie on July 17, 2012 at 5:16 PM

You wondered to yourself? That’s an interesting bit.

OldTimeRadio on July 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM

They probably stopped kissing a long time ago anyway.

Mutual repugnance between two repugnant people.

Sherman1864 on July 17, 2012 at 10:13 PM

bmmg39 on July 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM Kiss Cam is easily the worst. Any sign of affection should be genuine, and not forced because a bottle spun your way, some jerks made a tink sound on their glasses at a wedding

Thanks for the advice, Doc!

Sherman1864 on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM