Pennsylvania in play?

posted at 4:01 pm on July 17, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Republicans haven’t won Pennsylvania since the 1988 election.  Democrats can’t win the White House without it.  Most people assume that Barack Obama will ride a huge popular-vote margin in Philadelphia to a Keystone State victory in November.  Two different media outlets working on analyses of different trends think the state may be in play for Mitt Romney, however, which would put Obama’s re-election chances in grave peril.

CBS’ Brian Montopoli writes that Obama can’t count on a winning margin in Philadelphia being enough this time around:

President Obama won Pennsylvania by more than 620,000 votes in the 2008 election, largely on the strength of his performance in and around Philadelphia: He won Philadelphia County by nearly 480,000 votes and the surrounding swing areas by roughly another 200,000 votes. His performance in the region, which holds about 40 percent of the state population, made what happened in the rest of the state close to irrelevant.

Yet after nearly four years in office, there are big questions over whether Mr. Obama can even come close to repeating that performance. It appears unlikely that African-Americans and young voters, who powered Mr. Obama’s big margins in 2008, will come out in the same numbers that they did last time around; a Pew Research Center last month found that, nationally, 60 percent of younger voters are giving a lot of thought to the election, a drop from 71 percent in 2008. A drop in voter enthusiasm in places like Philadelphia County – which is 44 percent African-American – puts the state’s 20 electoral votes very much in play.

The problem for Obama in 2012 is very much the same as it was in the 2008 Democratic primary, which Obama himself diagnosed as people who bitterly cling to their guns and Bibles:

Mr. Obama wasn’t supposed to lose Beaver and the counties around it, steel-industry strongholds full of working-class, unionized white voters who have long leaned Democratic. Yet he alienated many in the 2008 cycle when it was revealed he had claimed that working-class voters in Pennsylvania “cling to guns or religion” as a result of economic hardship. The comment prompted one man at an Obama rally in Beaver to show up with a fully-loaded gun prominently displayed in a holster.

“The social values of Democrats in western Pennsylvania tend to be different than the social values back east,” said Delano. “They tend to be conservative. We like our guns very much – we love our guns. We grew up hunting. Some tend to be Bible thumpers. And candidate Obama was dissing people for their religion and their guns.”

They do tend toward populism on fiscal matters, though, which gives Obama an opening.  However, that might not be enough, since four years of Obama’s populism has hardly improved lives in Pennsylvania.  A jump in the nominal jobless rate might doom Obama for good among those voters, National Journal’s Beth Reinhard reports:

Just six weeks ago, conventional wisdom was that Pennsylvania was off the table. Mitt Romney’s campaign didn’t list it as a top target, and his state chairman said the GOP nominee himself was skeptical he could win there. A Republican nominee hasn’t won the state since 1988 and it didn’t look like 2012 would be any different.

Today the picture does look different. The Rust Belt has been getting a lot of attention from both campaigns as they court white, blue-collar voters. Romney is holding a rally in Irwin, PA, Tuesday afternoon, and President Obama’s campaign announced it is running a tough new anti-Romney ad exclusively in the state. Pro-Romney super PACs are also spending money there.

What gives? Well for one thing, unemployment in the state rose in June to 7.6 percent from 7.4 percent.

Team Romney sent Rick Santorum out to woo voters in the western part of the state, a natural fit for the erstwhile contender, as well as an opportunity to apply some influence on Romney’s messaging. If Santorum can help deliver a win for Romney, his stock in the GOP will soar — and put him solidly in place for a Cabinet post in a Romney administration, if not a chance to run for the top spot again down the road.

It might not take a win in Pennsylvania to boost Romney’s chances, either.  Obama won the state by eleven points in 2008, and until now the fight with Romney didn’t look to be much of a challenge in the state.  If Obama has to fight it out with Romney to hold a state he took by better than his national popular vote margin, it will force Team Obama to spend resources that might otherwise go to swing states like Ohio, Florida, Virginia, and even Wisconsin and Iowa, which already seem more competitive than Pennsylvania.

I’d still consider a win in Pennsylvania a long shot for Romney, but a tantalizing target.  I’d expect to see a bigger push there than what Team Romney hinted earlier this spring.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Of course Pennsylvania can not be in play..after all Pennsylvania was so happy with Obama and Ed Randell, that in 2010 the turned the entire legislature and Governor and a US Senator Pat Toomey…no Pennsylvania could not possibly be in play…

DVPTexFla on July 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Why not enlist the help of Lynn Swann to at least rally the folks in Western PA?

OneVision on July 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Is this “PA is in play!” story being recycled from 2008 or from 3 months ago? Either way, it’s about as likely to happen as Mitt Romney making up his mind on any single issue.

inthemiddle on July 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

PA will be like the US in general. The rural areas will go R. The cities

..I conjure up this image of you huddled in the utility bathroom down there in your mom’s basement, hugging the commode and quaking in apprehension of the imminent carpet bombing that will hit after your blessed patron Saint Crapsack has blown all his cash and is begging his buds in the kneepad media for some free press.

Between you and me, troll breath, I’d stay in your ersatz bomb shelter and have your mom bring you some of her meatloaf sandwiches down.

The War Planner on July 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Give this a listen, Romney Today in Irwin Pennsylvania..

Sure doesn’t sound like Romney has given up on Pennsylvania to me..

Michelle Malkin said this was great. See for yourself.

RockyJ. on July 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Yes, I second that, the video of his speech is definitely worth watching! What is awesome is he’s back to saying that this election is about “the soul of the country,” and it comes off really well, and crowd really eats it up. Enjoy.

anotherJoe on July 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I’m listening to the speech again.

Great content. Romney is animated. The facts just roll off his tongue. And….. he looks and sounds as though he respects his audience.

If he keeps this up, we could be in for some surprising poll numbers.

I can hardly wait for the debates…..

Cody1991 on July 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM

In California weird things are happening….the state is broke. In June by overwhelming numbers the voters in San Diego and San Jose…voted to change how public pensions are funded, and statewide they voted down a tax increase on cigarettes…..In the past month the legislature and governor have proceeded to fund the high speed rail which is now opposed by 59% according to a poll in July, and in November they will.In November 2012 they will have a vote on raising taxes…..

In the mean time the state, counties cities school districts are being hit with high increases of pension expenses because California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CALPERS)just announced the investment income was drastically below what was needed….someone has to pay…and California is already broke..

Did we mention a 10.8% unemployment..( Well in the official rate)

I am thinking weird things may be happening…

DVPTexFla on July 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

OneVision on July 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Excellent idea.

UltimateBob on July 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I think Dan Rooney still supports Ochoomba, but the rest of W.Pa. has had it with hope, change and the electricity bills.

Coal is right. Energy policy matters here and in Ohio. I am sure Mitt knows that.

Philly on July 17, 2012 at 5:41 PM

The War Planner on July 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

HEY! Meatloaf sandwiches are not just for guys who live in their moms’ basements. I make my own, just for me, and I love them. Been working on leftover meatloaf since Sunday…

chelie on July 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

inthemiddle on July 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Do you live in PA? I doubt it. I do. ANd yes it is in play. The Repubs have done very well here, I notice you left off the 2010 elections. People are not happy with unions either. If Romney can carry the NW and West and the North and some of the Central parts of the state he will carry the whole thing. And he has a very good chance to do that. Even Bob Casey Jr. is staying away from Obama and is much more Moderate than his old man was. Heck even Fast Eddie isn’t exactly going out of his way to support Obama.

Deanna on July 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I hope Pennsylvania is in play… they owe the rest of the USA for Arlen Specter and John Murtha…

Khun Joe on July 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

August playbook, life in the media/pool circus. Ninety-nine pages of roll the dice.

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

DVPTexFla on July 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Our county was one that turned completely red from the commissioners on down and ousted all the Dems, who had had a hold on it for the past 50 years. That should tell you something about the mood in PA and the fact that there were a lot of us very fed up with the Dems, even at the county level.

PatriotGal2257 on July 17, 2012 at 5:58 PM

chelie on July 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You know this thread just needs a recipe now. Ha ha!

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

There is NOTHING to suggest PA is in play. Romney trails in every poll by high single digits, and that’s too far to come back from. Next we’ll be hearing that NJ is in play, which it never is.

gumbyandpokey on July 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

You know this thread just needs a recipe now. Ha ha!

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

8 lbs of bacon

1/2 a teaspoon of hamburger

two saltines, crushes

seventeen whole eggs

kneed with fingers

bake at 350 for 40 mins

top with chopped jalapenos

call 911.

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Khun Joe on July 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

You got that right, I have intense dislike for both, Murtha especially as I am a vet…He disgust me..

RockyJ. on July 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Other than CA, IL NY HA and VT, what state isn’t in play? If Scott Brown can win in MA, so can Mitt. Christie won NJ, why can’t Mitt? Months before the 2010 midterms, just about everyone scoffed at the notion of Repubs winning 60 seats. Obama was radioactive and no dem would even mention him in their ads. now things are worse. Not only will Romney win, 8 Senate seats are in the bag with a good chance of many more. I think you will see a huge wave of straight repub ticket voters yielding major coattails.

phillysfinest on July 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM

awesome! /

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Folks in western Pa. can easily get along with folks from Eastex pretty well. Football, oil bidness, hunting and rednecks flourish all around.

DanMan on July 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

We do! I grew up in PA and moved to Texas for 14 years. If it weren’t for my parents living here and needing help, I would go back in a heartbeat. (I would still be a Steelers fan though)

I just watched the speech Romney gave here in PA today (thanks Mark1971). As a non-Romney fan, I have to say that the speech was almost perfect and should satisfy everyone saying he needs to fight back. Here’s the link again.

Night Owl on July 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

reddevil on July 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Yeah, un-huh. It will be won or lost below the Rappahannock, and on a line from Dalhart to Flagstaff. Mitt better find his Rocky steps, and quick.

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 6:13 PM

“For those that believe PA is not in play, then why is Barry flooding the airwaves in Western PA? I wish the Romney campaign would run some ads and not rely on 3rd party stuff.”

He’s just locking up the state by defining Romney during the summer, which any incumbent President will do if he’s smart.

WORRY ABOUT OHIO AND VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only way PA is even close is if it’s a landslide nationally for Mitt.

It’s folly to even think about PA when Romney isn’t doing well in the other swing states.

gumbyandpokey on July 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Ask, and ye shall receive:

1 lb lean (90/10) ground beef
2 packets instant oatmeal
2 eggs
1 cup salsa
salt, pepper, onion powder, worcestershire sauce to taste.

Bake 1 hour in 350 degree oven.

Yum!!

chelie on July 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

AND VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gumbyandpokey on July 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Boom-bada-bing!

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Oops – mix all the stuff together in a bowl, shape into a loaf and put on a cookie sheet, THEN bake for 1 hour at 350.

chelie on July 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

chelie on July 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM

You’re on! Sat I’ll give a review.

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Every 4 years Republican candidates get pipe dreams about winning Pennsylvania or even New Jersey. And every 4 years, tons of money spent there for nothing. Have a much better shot at flipping Ohio and Virginia than Pennsylvania.

People point to Toomey’s win, but they don’t seem to remember that despite a historic wave election and a horrible Dem candidate, Toomey only won by 2%. If the national wave had been even a tiny bit smaller Toomey would have lost.

AngusMc on July 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

So goes Virginia, so goes the midwest. That is the one to watch early.

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

In 120 days the networks and the headlines will be about the re-elect or the new elect. Biting your fingernails yet?

Limerick on July 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM

PA’s in play along with 56 of the 57 states. Watch.

CW on July 17, 2012 at 6:49 PM

PA has voter ID now. It is being challenged, but it is pretty much like Indiana’s, which SCOTUS ok’d.

Wethal on July 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Yep, it’s being challenged by an entire ten professional grievance-mongers, who no doubt have a photo ID of their own.

Oh, and while we’re discussing voting, there’s this from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt: it could be that they are just trying to level the playing field, as it were, since other PA counties permit newspaper photographers to take photographs inside polling places — but only if the voter consents and not while they are in the act of casting their vote. However, I found it very interesting that this article was mentioned a couple days in a row on one of the local radio stations. Knowing how the P-G has morphed into western PA’s version of the NYT, I’m suspicious. Why are they so hot on wanting to take photos inside polling places? Let me guess — they are counting on enough low-info voters not being aware that they don’t have to give consent to any photographer at any time, let alone at a polling place. A more subtle form of intimidation? Maybe. As I said, my Suspicion Meter went to eleven on this.

PatriotGal2257 on July 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Correct – Barry is flooding the airwaves here, which means something is worrying him. PA is not a slam dunk for him. He’s spending a lot of money here. LOL. Keep burning up the cash, Barry.

Philly on July 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

It must be fabulous to create an assertion out of thin air and state it with absolute certainty.

mockmook on July 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

chelie on July 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Love it!

I have some frozen ground turkey that I was going to use to make chili. Maybe I’ll make the meatloaf instead.
I have oatmeal as well, but it’s not instant. I’m sure I could find a converter somewhere on the interwebs.

Thanks chelie!

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

mockmook on July 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

There may be a cabinet opening for V.A.

slickwillie2001 on July 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

PatriotGal2257 on July 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Does anyone know anything more about the PPG? I used to tangle with a rabid and un-self-aware leftist who works there as a news assistant on another blog. He had a creepy habit to respond and start arguments with anyone who posted things he didn’t agree with. I’d be curious if he’s representative of the newspaper, it sounds like he might be.

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reads like a lefty small town almanac. Read the Pittsburgh Tribune Review instead.

lulub on July 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The Post Gazette has always been “liberal,” in the Left’s definition of that term, but in the 90s, they really took a sharp left turn, no doubt because they were the survivors of the joint operating agreement between them and the Pittsburgh Press. The Press used to be the afternoon paper, and was more middle-of-the-road and representative of Pittsburgh’s industrial heritage. The P-G, on the other hand, always exuded a certain snobbishness and not-so-veiled anti-Catholicism, but they used to … ahem! … try a little harder to disguise it. Now the mask is off — both their syndicated columnists and their local writers reflexively take the extreme Left view whatever the subject. I haven’t read it in years, but I seem to remember that they used to have a syndicated column on their editorial page by Jack Kelly as their token conservative, and he was pretty much treated as such.

The Trib is a superior alternative. Many former Press people migrated there and they make much more of an effort to be balanced.

PatriotGal2257 on July 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

This MIGHT be an impressive statement,

AngusMc on July 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

BUT

Toomey ran an aggressive and often contentious campaign to defeat Sestak in a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans by 1.2 million.

Obama will lose in the Fall in PA , too.

DevilsPrinciple on July 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM

PatriotGal2257 on July 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Nice summary, thanks.
I think I vaguely remember seeing links to Jack Kelly’s column on the RCP site, and occasionally clicking those, if the headline looked interesting.

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I’ve been saying this for a few months…

The 2012 presidential election will be decided in the Rust Belt. That’s Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin. (Illinois also has a significant portion of this vote, primarily the Chicago area, but I don’t think IL will be in play in 2012.)

Each of these states have large percentages of white, 45+ year old, working-class social conservative male voters who typically vote Democrat. They are largely Catholic, 2nd Amendment supporters and not unionized.

Unemployment is high among this group and their families and communities are paying a very steep price in the Obamanomics “Great Recession”. There is a huge opportunity to resurrect the “Reagan Democrat” vote this time and move all these states to the “R” column.

This isn’t a crazy notion. The proof is in Obama’s “class warfare” rhetoric. That line isn’t to satisfy the liberal base…if they lose them the Dems are cooked anyway. It’s goal is to hold the white working-class vote in the Rust Belt. The only person this groups hates more than the tax man is the “boss”. So, they have to make enough of these voters view Romney as the “boss”.

Also consider that each of these states flipped their state governments from “D” to “R” in 2010. And, economic conditions have only gotten worse. Obama is in deep “doo doo” here.

Everyone is making a big deal out of PA being “in play”…and it is in play. But, if Obama loses Michigan and/or Wisconsin…which is very likely (as it stands today)…the prez is toast. Meaning a Pennsylvania win just may end up being icing on the Romney “Victory Cake”.

That’s my opinion…who wants pie?

LaserBeam on July 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Deanna on July 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I’m from NE PA, and I was there this weekend. It most definitely is in play. People may not be completely sold on Romney, but they are souring on Obama. The issue that may put Romney over the top is this UN Gun Treaty. Pennsylvania is full of hunters.

DagoTwit on July 18, 2012 at 2:38 AM

LaserBeam on July 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I live 12 miles west of the Ohio / PA border, your Demographics are fairly accurate, but I do not see these guys pulling the lever for an R in a national election.

They have been doing so, in local and state elections for the past several elections, but as the campaigns stand today? I do not see them taking that last step and going R for POTUS.

How can Romney change this? Start beating the drum about the current and coming impact of the new and even more empowered EPA. How it is in active combat with our energy production.

Then discuss how we have more recoverable hydrocarbons than the rest of the world. Hammer the billions of dollars burnt on ‘green initiatives’.

Emphasize that these hydrocarbons are the key to real energy independence and allow us to tell the Sauds to GSaD. Which is something that folks around here would love to do.

I have heard the ads they are running in PA and Ohio: Romney has yet to start banging on these subjects. If you show these folks you have a plan to go forward and help the country they may pull the lever for him

Nathan_OH on July 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM

22044 on July 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM

You’re quite welcome. I always liked Jack Kelly’s articles — he seemed to have a no-nonsense, realistic view on things. Plus, I do believe he was a former Green Beret and he once wrote a memorable column not about politics, but about fitness. He took several taekwondo classes, and talked about the usual day-after phenomenon of muscles he never knew he had hurting beyond belief, even though he believed himself to be fit. LOL

PatriotGal2257 on July 18, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The War Planner on July 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

chelie on July 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Why is there this infatuation with where other people happen to live? Plenty of people live with their parents while leading productive lives, helping other people. Everybody should find a different way to insult somebody…

bmmg39 on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

If Our Zero Hero lets Iran sink something in the Persian Gulf, he’s done for. Our recent and ongoing in the area, however, argues against that.

Remember his “spiking the ball” over OBL, and all his drone strikes and other Maximum Leader tough-guy stuff, I think there is an Evil Plan for the ultimate distraction from Zero’s economic record.

And the b!tch is, those of us that yelled “Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran!!” since 1979 will like it.

Not enough to vote for Zero, but for sure some of the Sheeple will change their widdle minds.

Who is John Galt on July 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Our recent and ongoing buildup in the area

FIFM.

Who is John Galt on July 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM

bmmg39 on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I didn’t, bmmg39 – look upthread to the post I referenced. I was taking joking umbrage to the comment that meatloaf is for basement dwellers.

chelie on July 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

bmmg39 on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

chelie on July 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I didn’t mean to suggest you did. I’m sorry. I was going on a general rant. That’s why I said “Everybody should…”

bmmg39 on July 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM

This is an old trick used by democrats and the media. It goes like this: (1) show up at a deep blue state and try to convince republicans that they can win the state, (2) conduct biased polls to back up their theory that the democrat might lose and hype the story as if the state is in play (3) sucker the republicans into believing the hype and wasting money in a state they won’t win. I remember back in 96 when the media had Bob Dole believing he could take CA. I hope team Romney won’t fall for it.

Dollayo on July 19, 2012 at 4:33 AM