On Palin & her potential lack of an invitation to the GOP convention

posted at 10:01 am on July 17, 2012 by Dustin Siggins

Yesterday morning Ed tagged a Newsweek article that tried to make hay out of the fact that Palin may not receive an invitation to speak at the GOP convention. Ed pointed out that this may not actually be a big deal, both to Palin and the grassroots, and I agree with comments made below the post by RBJ and Skwor that it’s likely just Newsweek trying to create controversy out of nothing substantive.

However, this is where RBJ, Skwor and a great deal of the Hot Air viewership and I may split our views. While I am not a fan of Mitt Romney’s candidacy, and think he is far too moderate in almost every way, I am not disappointed that Palin may not speak at the convention. In fact, I’m quite pleased.

When Palin first came onto the national scene in 2008, I knew literally nothing about her. I actually thought that Romney should have been the VP pick that year, since back then he had the backing of many prominent conservatives and his Olympic, gubernatorial and business background would have been useful during the economic crash. Of course, back then, I also thought he was a conservative — clearly, I’ve learned better since.

But back to Palin. I decided to keep an open mind prior to her 2008 GOP Convention speech, but afterwards was the only person in a roomful of conservative interns who thought it was merely decent. Everyone else was ecstatic about what she had said. I also watched part of her much-maligned Couric interview, but heard from my friend Adam Brickley — who as a college student helped launch Palin to the national spotlight — that I should not put much weight into what I saw there. I then spent the next two years reading her op-eds, watching her speak, and discussing the excitement many other young conservatives had for Palin and her future within the GOP, and realized I just didn’t think Palin added much to the conservative movement. Yes, she has her positive attributes, both personally and with regards to public policy. But between her unpopularity with the general public (yes, partially created and exacerbated by utterly dishonest media portrayals of Palin and her family, as well as completely hateful attacks on her by Paul Krugman and others after the Giffords shooting) and her lack of knowledge on issues outside of anti-corruption and energy policy, I think inviting her to speak at the convention would be a poor decision for the GOP.

Of course, inviting Palin to speak would have its positive effects. Certainly, much of the conservative base would be excited to see and hear her, and it would give them hope that Romney and the GOP establishment isn’t trying to take conservative votes for granted. Additionally, she is certainly a more powerful speaker than Romney and most of the GOP leadership. However, I think the negatives of such an appearance outweigh the net positives for those whose sole electoral goal is to get Obama out of office — including potentially scaring off moderate voters who are open to voting for Romney and giving the liberal media the opportunity to attach Romney to the largely unpopular Palin.

This is not to say the GOP should continue its path to liberal and corrupt political stances. I think one can be a philosophical, small-government conservative and still not want Sarah Palin leading the party, but her legions of fans do have a point that often it is establishment Republicans who are focusing on getting Palin out of the party. However, inviting Ted Cruz, Jim DeMint, Rand Paul, or any of several dozen other prominent conservatives to speak at the convention would provide the needed conservative slant in the lineup of speakers as well as the policy-strong opinions needed to stand up against a biased media intent on getting Obama re-elected.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10 11

the only way to flush him out.

So to speak…

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Touché!

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Between this and last night’s Palin thread, I’m sure we’ll make 3000 easily. On this thread? I’m not so sure. Might be a little Palin fatigue from last night.

gryphon202 on July 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Looks like Gryph was just about dead on this morning with a combined 3000 post estimate.

Kudos!

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM

And you?

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Sorry Cindy – don’t spend majority of my waking hours here and certainly not the night shift. See ya in the qotd thread i suppose…

Bradky on July 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM

BoxHead1 on July 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM

BoxHead1 on July 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM

But not least…

Gohawgs on July 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Bradky on July 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM

You can see me anywhere I decide to be at anytime I decide to be there.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

908

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

909

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Just for you OC :)

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Bischof

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

912

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Just for you OC :)

Schadenfreude on July 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Me too. I saw his comment and came right over.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Good deal OC, looks like were all one big happy family playing on the same team. Nice job. I just knew everyone would come around. Go Team!

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

*clink*

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

What number are we trying to attain?

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

*clink*

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

*clink!* Just wonderful to all be pulling in the same direction towards a common goal of unseating 0, isn’t it?

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

What number are we trying to attain?

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I think OC is liking an even 1000.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Of course stopping this train at a thousand may prove difficult. ; )

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Quick someone say something nice about Gov. Palin so Bradky and Buy Danish can add to the count.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Palin rocks. Draws em in like no one else can. She’s da bomb. Me likey.Romney should be so lucky. Of course she will out shine him come Convention time. But thats okay cause we are all on the same team now. Go Sarah!!! How was that?

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Bwaaahh. All we have to do is say

PALIN and their heads explode.

But if you say

Palin is Reagan they will go batsh!t insane.

Sorry about the bad word.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

You know SarahCuda will read this. (:

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Fuel. Sarah we love you! Each and everyone of us on this winning team.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

You know SarahCuda will read this. (:

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Its no secret. I love her!

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I don’t think I dislike Obama as much as a lot of these folks dislike Gov. Palin. It is just so odd.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Sarah is the female version of Reagan. Certainly the closest thing I’ve seen in my life time. We love you Sarah! Each and every one of us.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

They are simply jealous. Sarah goes toe to toe with 0 and wipes the floor with his bloodied remains. Romney should sign up for lessons with Sarah.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Okay I’ve done my share back to QOTD. Love you Sarah!

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Each and every one of us.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Well that should do it!

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM

BMore brings the MoJo.

Schad will be by to pump up the volume.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Minus the long list of accomplishments and widespread popularity with the American people, of course.

alchemist19 on July 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

You see how the other Palin thread ended. I pronounced it dead. I’ll do that here of course when the time comes and run a final tally on both. I count them as one.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM

alchemist19 on July 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Of Course.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

alchemist19 on July 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

But if you say

Palin is Reagan they will go batsh!t insane.

Sorry about the bad word.

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

You called it.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

What a pile of crap this post is. How can one person be so clueless and be allowed to publish his nonsense so the entire would could see how clueless he really is?

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM

936? Lol hope this helps achieve the goal of 1000!!

Scrumpy on July 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Gibberish…

OmahaConservative on July 18, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Sarah oh Sarah were art thou Sarah?

Don’t be sad, you don’t need to speak!

Love ya Sarahcudda!

(too over the top?)lol

Scrumpy on July 18, 2012 at 1:36 AM

this post is one of the main reasons why I don’t come to this site much anymore.

the writing has gone down hill. Seems a conservative site has become nothing but mittbot central.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Now now, you know exactly why!

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM

But what about all of us in the stands who stand up for her?

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Two threads with +2K in comments about Mrs. P not being invited to the big ball. And yet no one has stated the obvious. This is all stage craft, creating a little controversy before the convention so that when the surprise announcement comes that she will be speaking after all it will create even an greater media frenzy. Especially when that speaking role will be that as the Vice President nominee. Wouldn’t that be something. And everyone at HA but bluegill will be singing the praises of the bold and visionary Mitt Romney. She of course will be under the close supervision of mental health experts with all sharp objects removed from her room.

Never happen, but one can dream that Romney would do something total out of the box. A true Shock and Awe move. But he’ll play it safe and the convention will be a snore fest.

Tarnsman on July 18, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Govt men in black are breeding super-aggressive black Bronx squirrels originally to control pigeons and rodents but now to control poverty births. Muffled black AWACS helos drop them into homes and babies disappear to Nellis AFB, Groom Lake, NV. These squirrels have eight instead of the usual four (A,G,C,T) DNA base pairs, because the UFO-derived bases of hazinine, vudanine, quikunine and shugimine are included.

UFOs also passed on their W and Z heterogametic chromosomes to snakes, birds and moths. Translucent blue-skinned, pointed-ear, subterranean reptile-human-hybrid aliens (aka subters), whose white-hair-covered elders are mistaken for sashquatch, also have these eight base pairs, and it was by experimenting with them that the squirrels were developed.

These subterraneans were bred by the reptoids from fallen blues, from which commonly known as angels or fairies. The fallen blues were sent to help humans ascend to a higher plane but instead conspired with the reptoids and became what we commonly think of as demons and witches. These subterraneans have a complex underground world of tunnels which connect them to major secret underground archives of many powerful organizations. Their central offices are in fact hidden underneath Vatican Hill and connect to the Vatican archives, where cloaked aliens are mistaken for apparitions of dead popes.

The pyramids of Egypt have long been laboratories where they experiment on humans. The aliens thusly manipulate Vatican, White House and Kremlin archives to control world events. Their peculiar-shaped single eye, surrounded with pyramid-like horn-bone structure has served as the symbol for the masonic and illuminatist movements, whose highest-ranking members attend the councils of the subterranean masters. The horn-bone is also the basis of the unicorn myth. They had also fooled the Jewish people into thinking they were a tribe, and so actually form the mythical “lost tribe” of Israel, as well as the supposed lost continent of Atlantis.

Petroleum is actually synthetically produced from their sewage and they pipe it into reservoirs we mistakenly call oilfields, and by manipulating the appearance of oil, they further control world events by sending oil mostly to Islamic countries susceptible to subterranean-inspired superstitions – The famous meteor of Muhammad was actually fired by the reptoids to help the subterraneans do so. Common UFO drones are greys which were bred to serve the reptoids, and some have been bred for earth and disguised as some, but not all, monkeys. The monkeys which spread AIDS to humanity were actually greys, as were the Ashanti who sold African slaves to the West.

The fallen blues fought a nuclear war with the reptoids on earth which led to the extinction of reptoid-derived dinosaurs, allowing humanoids to first settle the earth. The time-travelling Pleiadians are the source of Judeao-Christian deity, and the Haryapans (commonly called “Aryans” and after whom Harappa was named) are the source of Hindu-Graeco-Nordic deity. Humanoids from Sirius are the combined source of the Mongolian, Shinto and AmerIndian deities, and those from Vega are the source of African animist deities.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 1:41 AM

if supposed conservatives allow good quaility people like Palin to be sidelined then there will never be a conservative movement in this country. which part is hard to understand. If you allow every conservative that rises to leadership positions to be destroyed it isn’t long before candidates and political figures stop being conservative and embrace the media lords. Seriously is this hard to understand. the only conservatives the media will allow to be unmolested are the whack jobs that make conservatives look nuts like this writer. the solid conservatives like Palin will be protrayed as the loons while the real loons will be protrayed as the “real deal” making the avg person avoid conservatism like a red hot poker.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

You know when ever I say “Of Course”, I always think of this guy. Why is that?

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

sharrukin, This word led me right to it shugimine.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:46 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I think its too late for the GOP. They have become Democrats while the Democrats have drifted into being a socialist party. Conservatives need to walk away and nothing is going to change until that happens.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 1:46 AM

See.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Now now, you know exactly why!

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM

maybe not sure. I think they allow it because they have a total lack of respect for the conservative base and think we are too stupid to see what they are trying to do. Everytime i think I might vote for Mitt I see some insane article like this and say never .

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM

sharrukin, This word led me right to it shugimine.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Well we were supposed to post gibberish so I figured that qualified. Of course some would say that a lot of my posts qualify as well.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM

…darn right we do!
Dusty is going to have a stroke if there is a thousand on here by the a.m.

KOOLAID2 on July 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM

But what about all of us in the stands who stand up for her?

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Its a ying and yang thing. I stay away because of the blog writers, i come back for the commentors…:)

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I wouldn’t let some blogger talk me into or out of voting for anybody. He doesn’t speak for Romney. I won’t go into what a strategic blunder ignoring her is. It won’t be his first or last mistake.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

This ^^^

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Dusty is going to have a stroke if there is a thousand on here by the a.m.

KOOLAID2 on July 18, 2012 at 1:48 AM

He is too young for a stroke. He may get his first erection. From his writing I’m not sure he hit puberty yet

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:52 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM

…don’t you leave dammit!
I see a Palin thread and I HOPE that unseen will be there!
This is no different that the battles you waged against others before she really turned the lights off…and your flame went out for a while….no I enjoyed it!…DON’T YOU QUIT DAMMIT!

KOOLAID2 on July 18, 2012 at 1:54 AM

The Most Clueless folks wait for Sarah like kids waiting for Santa.. Then its “Say it ain’t so, Joe. I’ve been had.”

Of course former Governor and failed Vice Presidential candidate Palin didn’t do any part of the book, tour or movie for coin.

It is certainly a great sacrifice for her to work like she does. That ambition stops just short of running for office but after the fleeces the sheepie.

Work your Google, clowns.

IlikedAUH2O on July 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 1:46 AM

The progressives won this race regardless of which liberal wins the POTUS. The liberal agenda will be advanced. They made sure of that after they lost control in 2009. From Nov 2010 until the start of the 2012 primaries the progressives did everything in their power to ensure a victory no matter which party won.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

This ^^^

SparkPlug on July 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM

…I’ll vote for Mitt…and I honestly think he will be a LOT more conservative than people think…especially if we get some Republicans with something between their legs and ears in the Senate…if not…I’m hoping someone starts a conservative movement to forming another party…and no…that doesn’t mean Dems will rule from then on.

KOOLAID2 on July 18, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 1:51 AM

it not so much “talking me into or out of something” It’s more the realization that I have nothing in common with these people. At least with liberals they have an agenda a goal. I think they are 100% wrong but they have a set agenda. With people like this writer he cares nothing about anything but winning. He hasn’t the mental power to think beyond that and understand that winning is the beginning not the end. He seems like he would give up everything for a win when that means he really gains nothing from a win. The logic defies all logic. Its mind boggling.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Thats how I see it, and given how little the GOP has delivered when given the chance I don’t see any hope of it changing any time soon. We will see dog and pony shows as the GOP and the Democrats play the Washington game, but nothing will change except the letterhead.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Seems a conservative site has become nothing but mittbot central.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Says the guy who smeared by inference both Bachmann and Perry. You were ruthless in your attempts to clear the deck for Palin, and she ended up balking.

I don’t appreciate the suggestion that no true conservative can call himself conservative unless he worships at the altar of Sarah. She had a golden opportunity to enter the race, and she flinched.

John the Libertarian on July 18, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Garym on July 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

You and John McCain were both Cuda fans, so I don’t get it. Of course, she needed him at the time.

NoNails on July 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Are you one of her accountants?

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 9:30 PM

So….on your planet, Sarah actually ran for the Presidential nomination and/or made no money on the tour or attendant fame. She appears on FOX for nothing.

Sarah = Political version of Kardashians

IlikedAUH2O on July 18, 2012 at 2:08 AM

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 2:03 AM

if the gop wins the POTUS and hous but not the senate we will get some crap about only controling 1/2 of the gov. If they win the senate and house we will get some crap on how they must work with the Dem POTUS because he won or something stupid. If they win the trifecta they will say its that evil SCOTUS that is stopping them. Always some excuse on why the conservative agenda they pretend to run on never gets put into play. Bush g\had the house, the senate and the Wh and we got no child left behind, Medicare part D and $5 trillion in debt.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:09 AM

John the Libertarian on July 18, 2012 at 2:06 AM

A conservative shouldn’t be pretending that Mitt Romney is conservative, ‘severe’ or otherwise. He is a self-described progressive. Eric Fehrnstrom, Romney’s advisor said…“Everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch A Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all over again.”

You have to be willfully blind to not see Romney for what he is… and he’s not a conservative.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Oh, and your comments are either based on ignorance, stupidity, or dishonesty. Which is it?

NoNails on July 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM

The word “either” applies to two alternatives.

Then you listed three.

Work on your math or vocabulary then start with civics before offering political opinions. You embarrass yourself.

IlikedAUH2O on July 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I think they will be pushing the idea that we have to offer something to replace Obamacare and that will be a variant of Romneycare.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Like Boehner with his $100 billion in cuts or HW Bush and his read my lips. They never had any intention of keeping their word.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 2:15 AM

John the Libertarian on July 18, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Perry and Bachmann? Please Perry All of a sudden couldn’t stay awake in a debate? Yeah he didn’t throw the fight or anything did he. Bachmann? The skewed version of what the elites thing Palin is like? Both were part of the puzzle that the lelites thought they needed to stop Palin neither was ever a threat to Mitt. As I made clear at the time and as the final results show. Wise up and understand how your “betters” played you.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 AM

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Compared to our POTUS, Mitt is

conservative. Otherwise, not so much.

However, he did deign to run. And not just do a “bustour”. Our POTUS does the bus thing, too. But at least he runs.

Sarah is not a serious candidate and has little interest outside of the nut roots. It is useful to attack Sarah to gin up the toothless for her. She is awesome for that.

IlikedAUH2O on July 18, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Wise up and understand how your “betters” played you.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I was there. I read your comments. First you went after Bachmann for having migraines, then you suggested she was in the foster-kid industry to make money. When Perry became a threat, you smeared him with all this made-up innuendo about crony investments.

John the Libertarian on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 AM

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Mine too. I’m looking for a word I’ve misplaced for Cindy. Guess its not here. Hmmm. Oh thats right its at the radio show. This isn’t the radio show. Sorry.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 AM

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 2:15 AM

nope and the problem with these moderates is they are tired of having to lie to win elections. They can’t stand having to get up there on stage and mouth conservative principles they don’t believe in then have to figure out a way to weasal out of them the moment the election is over and come back and lie again in 2 4 or 6 years. They just want the lying to stop and be able to run as the progressives they are.

You can’t really blame the voters because even when we know like with Mitt that they are lying their butts off what choice do we have stay home? tried that. The liberal wins. Go vote for the dem. Not something In really want to try. Vote for the liar and hope he carries out his wrod. Been there done that. Try to start a 3rd party? Many tried that with Perot. He was 10 screws short of a full load….. Maybe if the right person tried the 3rd party route things will change. As it is know we can vote for the dem or the lying gop. either choice sucks.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I understand, it seems like the best we can hope to do this election is to stop the hemorrhaging. I truly dislike our president and am scared to death at what he will do by royal decree once reelection is no longer an issue. Horrible horrible man.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Yeah well, its hardly surprising that so many don’t even bother to vote any more and that keeps getting worse. That also plays into strengthening the progressive hold on power.

sharrukin on July 18, 2012 at 2:27 AM

John the Libertarian on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Really. Migranes
Thought the moderate rag Daily caller published that piece/hit on your conservative standard bearer. Yoou know the same moderates that are now telling you to vote for the progressive Mitt. Also thought That the migrane story was never denied by Bachmann in fac tif I recall bachmann confirmed the story then cancled several planned events for no given reason. Had the lighting changed at one event in IW because It was too bright for her.

Perry’s crony capitalism record is there for all to see. It doesn’t take much digging start with the easement he got on his property that he flipped for a nice profit and go from there. People told me at the time that I just didn’t understand TX politics and that was how it was done in TX. Never denied his links to the STD drug his Cheif of staff being buddies with the drug company making the drug and all other insdie baseball stuff. But its ok because that’s how things are done in TX. Crony capitalism is fine because its how things are done. And Perry says some nice conservative things once in awhile who cares if he gets a payoff while in office.

You really are clueless. Go vote for Mitt and let me know how your progressive GOP star does while in office.

Oh one other thing with a progressive R in office there will be no tea party in 2014 to save the country form the cliff we are going over as we speak.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM

When you factor in that there is barely a dimes worth of difference between the parties and how the GOP treats conservatives, they are darned lucky to still be in the fight. I think if it was anyone other than Obama I could easily stay home.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I don’t know, I don’t think the Tea Party is going to just be satisfied with an R behind the name. I think they are the true promoters of change.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Horrible horrible man.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 2:23 AM

agreed. But Obama did more for the conservative cause then all gop Presidents since Reagan. 2010 was an election result not seen in generations. It wouldn’t have been possible with Progressive R Potus. Conservatism was advanced in places like WI and NC that have been progressive since the ealry human history:) So we can stop the bleeding . Or use the bleeding to fuel our bloodlust to see all progressives both in the DEm and GOP stripped from power. I will never support a progressive no matter which team he is playing for. Will I vote to stop the bleeding . Maybe I one of those precious undecideds that Mitt and his team needs to win over. Right now he hasn’t made the sale and Im more afraid of what a liberal in conservative clothing can do to this country then an out and out liberal. Mitt is an unknown on so many issues. his promise to repeal obamacare moved me in the right direction then the next day his team comes out and says no we will replace it. Not repeal it and keep the good parts.. Put me back in the not sure camp. His tax returns. His “asking” for an “i;m sorry” for that evil man. And more and more. I just got nothing but fear of both of these men. One we know one we have no idea about. I dont like blank slate candidates nor do I like candidates with a history of changing positions based on polls. But at the end of the day we have three choices. Mitt, Obama not voting for the top spot. I’m leaning toward dooor #3. wishing we had a 4th choice.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM

ok out for a bit might check in again later. thanks for the conversation guys and gals. Hope things turn out better then i think they will for all concerned.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:47 AM

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I will never insult you for taking your vote seriously. It’s a gift. I hope regardless of what you decide you will vote the down ticket and maybe get some new blood in D.C.. I won’t rehash my views from the other Palin thread about chances lost because I am still hoping someone will buy a clue. But right now I am a get Obama the hell out the White House voter.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 2:49 AM

982

steebo77 on July 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Folks, Mitt Romney is going to lose the election to President Obama albeit narrowly in the electoral college.

And there is one main reason for that: He and his team fail to acknowledge the political reality of GOP presidential candidates and insist in living in a world of political fantasy and delusion.

And the cornerstone of my claim is their desire to ignore the lessons of the 2010 midterm election and instead pursue a GOP presidential strategy that has failed miserably and resulted in ignoble defeats in 1992, 1996, and 2008.

What else can you call it but delusional when exit polls tell you that self-identified conservatives represented 42% of the electorate two years ago whereas in 2004, 2006 and 2008 they only represented 34% of the electorate and you ignore this result?

And the increase in conservative representation was last confirmed by Gallup in Jan. 2012 when they claimed that the breakdown of the electorate was now: L: 21 M: 35 C: 40

In addition we see in the 2010 exit polls that whites represented 77% of the electorate whereas they only represented 74% of the electorate in 2008. And while McCain beat Obama by 12 points among white voters in 2008, the GOP beat the Dems by 23 points in the House races in 2010.

What does Team Romney want to do? Appeal to Hispanics who have consistently been 8%-9% of the electorate since the year 2000.

In other words we have here a blueprint for victory in 2012. And Romney and his team have virtually ignored it and instead are trying to reinvent the wheel or to return to a political playbook that has consistently yielded failure after failure.

Conservatives you have been betrayed by Mitt Romney in many ways but the greatest betrayal is he and his team would rather go down with the ship like the captain and crew of the Titanic rather than to lose face and admit their political strategy was dead wrong.

technopeasant on July 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM

technopeasant on July 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I keep hoping he will wise up. I can’t say that I am always optimistic.

Cindy Munford on July 18, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Romney Campaign Disses Palin: Throws Party Unity Overboard

By Jeffrey Lord on 7.17.12 @ 10:05AM

Here we go.

So now come all these news reports (just for example, here, here, here, and here) that Team Romney has decided deliberately — deliberately — to trash Sarah Palin by not inviting her to the Tampa convention.

And they expect people to rally to their candidate when they are out there sticking their finger in the eye of the party’s base? Sending a message to the Tea Party to go take a flying leap?

If this is true, and no less than Governor Palin herself has said she is uninvited, one can only wonder:

What are these wizards of smart thinking?

Historically, people who are trashed by their own party employ the one entirely fatal weapon they have at their disposal: they stay home in November.

Having a unified convention is Politics 101.

Having — make that deliberately sponsoring — a convention inevitably perceived as being run by small people with no agenda except their own routinely yields the same results: defeat.

What should be done? Having had the opportunity to once upon-a-time work on this kind of issue myself, here’s the answer.

First, quickly and publicly remedy this by graciously inviting Governor Palin.

Second. As the 2008 nominees, Senator McCain and Governor Palin should have some place and/or role of honor at the convention — in this case, yes, speaking slots for both.

Third. Make certain that all of the nominee’s defeated rivals — Gingrich, Santorum, Bachmann, Ron Paul, Pawlenty, Perry — are given some public role at the convention. Have a unity dinner/breakfast/lunch with Governor Romney — lots of pictures. If there is a running mate selected by then — include the running mate.

Fourth: Get the platform under control — consult, consult, consult, consult. And have the votes in subcommittees, full committees and on the floor to get it done.

Last but not least: The night that Governor Romney accepts the nomination, at the conclusion of his speech and his bows with his running mate — flood the stage with McCain, Palin and all the defeated rivals.

Message: We are not Team Romney — we are Team America. And yes, Barack Obama, we are as one on the mission to stop you and your “transforming” of America in its tracks.

But for heaven’s sakes — be inclusive.

Get Governor Palin invited now. Post haste.

She was the first woman VP nominee of the Republican Party. She has more than earned simple, basic respect.

Don’t add to Governor Romney’s problems by making him seem like an ungracious, small man.

He quite decidedly isn’t. But the lights are on now — people are paying attention. He has real enemies out there. He will need all the help he can get not just to win, but to govern.

And that specifically includes Governor Palin.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM

thing the gop convention will have some of the lowest ratings in recent history.

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 3:14 AM

10 questions to ponder:

1)Have you ever wondered why there is little talk or discussion of the results of the 2010 midterm election in respect to the 2012 election?

2)Have you ever wondered why there is little talk or discussion of Romney in most polls not reaching McCain’s popular vote in 2008 of 46%, in light that Obama got 53% of the popular vote but would only command about 47%-48% at the present time?

3)Have you ever wondered why there has been absolutely no discussion of Sarah Palin’s political blueprint to victory in 2012 she posted in the National Review, two days after the midterm election?

4)Have you wondered why there is not more focus on the electoral college and especially the contention from pollsters like Rasmussen that Obama is safe or leading in states yielding him 247 EV which means he only needs 23 more EV to be re-elected?

5)Have you ever tried to reconcile the stories that the sky is falling for Obama and the recent national poll results he is leading Romney by 2 points and leads Romney in most battleground polls?

6)Have you ever heard of Virgil Goode or the PPP poll result showing him now commanding 9% of the vote in Virginia, much of it coming from conservatives or our side of the aisle?

7) Have you ever wondered why Sarah Palin is still popular with conservatives? Hasn’t she been discredited?

8)Did you know that via the 2008 exit polls. 60% of voters claimed that the choice of Palin influnenced their vote and of those people 56% voted for McCain and 43% voted for Obama, but of the 33% who said Palin did not influence their vote at all Obama won these folks 65% to 33% over McCain?

9) Did you know Mitt Romney recently snubbed Focus in the Family, by ignoring Sean Hannity’s question on his radio program whether he was going to get together with FITF while he was in Colorado Springs?

10)Did you know that Mitt Romney did not win one state in the South (other than Florida) in competitive primary contests in either 2008 or 2012?

technopeasant on July 18, 2012 at 3:20 AM

To help educate the author of this badly misguided blog post, filled with erroneous statements about Sarah Palin:

No, Sarah Palin Did Not Cost McCain the Presidency

Palin Holds High Ground Over Harsh and Unfair Critics

Some of Sarah Palin’s Ideas Cross the Political Divide

Ralph Nader praises Sarah Palin

Simply put, the positions taken by Sarah Palin are not only attractive to conservatives, but also to libertarians, independents, moderates and even some liberals.

john.frank on July 18, 2012 at 3:24 AM

See if it works here. First the test. Sweet water.

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:27 AM

That is so strange. What on Earth does the mill have against water thats sweet?

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:28 AM

technopeasant on July 18, 2012 at 3:20 AM

follow the money explains a lot of them. If people knew how bad Mitt is doing they would be unlikely to give funds to Mitt and the RNC meaning that the big whales and Mitt will be on the hook for millions.

the others are more like in Mitt’s mind he would rather lose asa moderate than win as a conservatinve…

some are just because the smart people aren’t that smart

unseen on July 18, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Bmore on July 18, 2012 at 3:47 AM

John the Libertarian on July 18, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Yep, and for her trouble MM was called a harpy, shrill, a shrill harpy, extreme, and an extremist by some who claim not to have a problem with women holding positions of power…

Oh. Wait. You meant unseen and not MM…

Gohawgs on July 18, 2012 at 3:47 AM