On Palin & her potential lack of an invitation to the GOP convention

posted at 10:01 am on July 17, 2012 by Dustin Siggins

Yesterday morning Ed tagged a Newsweek article that tried to make hay out of the fact that Palin may not receive an invitation to speak at the GOP convention. Ed pointed out that this may not actually be a big deal, both to Palin and the grassroots, and I agree with comments made below the post by RBJ and Skwor that it’s likely just Newsweek trying to create controversy out of nothing substantive.

However, this is where RBJ, Skwor and a great deal of the Hot Air viewership and I may split our views. While I am not a fan of Mitt Romney’s candidacy, and think he is far too moderate in almost every way, I am not disappointed that Palin may not speak at the convention. In fact, I’m quite pleased.

When Palin first came onto the national scene in 2008, I knew literally nothing about her. I actually thought that Romney should have been the VP pick that year, since back then he had the backing of many prominent conservatives and his Olympic, gubernatorial and business background would have been useful during the economic crash. Of course, back then, I also thought he was a conservative — clearly, I’ve learned better since.

But back to Palin. I decided to keep an open mind prior to her 2008 GOP Convention speech, but afterwards was the only person in a roomful of conservative interns who thought it was merely decent. Everyone else was ecstatic about what she had said. I also watched part of her much-maligned Couric interview, but heard from my friend Adam Brickley — who as a college student helped launch Palin to the national spotlight — that I should not put much weight into what I saw there. I then spent the next two years reading her op-eds, watching her speak, and discussing the excitement many other young conservatives had for Palin and her future within the GOP, and realized I just didn’t think Palin added much to the conservative movement. Yes, she has her positive attributes, both personally and with regards to public policy. But between her unpopularity with the general public (yes, partially created and exacerbated by utterly dishonest media portrayals of Palin and her family, as well as completely hateful attacks on her by Paul Krugman and others after the Giffords shooting) and her lack of knowledge on issues outside of anti-corruption and energy policy, I think inviting her to speak at the convention would be a poor decision for the GOP.

Of course, inviting Palin to speak would have its positive effects. Certainly, much of the conservative base would be excited to see and hear her, and it would give them hope that Romney and the GOP establishment isn’t trying to take conservative votes for granted. Additionally, she is certainly a more powerful speaker than Romney and most of the GOP leadership. However, I think the negatives of such an appearance outweigh the net positives for those whose sole electoral goal is to get Obama out of office — including potentially scaring off moderate voters who are open to voting for Romney and giving the liberal media the opportunity to attach Romney to the largely unpopular Palin.

This is not to say the GOP should continue its path to liberal and corrupt political stances. I think one can be a philosophical, small-government conservative and still not want Sarah Palin leading the party, but her legions of fans do have a point that often it is establishment Republicans who are focusing on getting Palin out of the party. However, inviting Ted Cruz, Jim DeMint, Rand Paul, or any of several dozen other prominent conservatives to speak at the convention would provide the needed conservative slant in the lineup of speakers as well as the policy-strong opinions needed to stand up against a biased media intent on getting Obama re-elected.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 11

Grid your Lions!

Lost in Jersey on July 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Here we go again..

2,000 comments?

Electrongod on July 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

dang, she’s hot. just smokin’ hot. and i’m one of teh gayz.

GhoulAid on July 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

2,000 comments?

Electrongod on July 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Between this and last night’s Palin thread, I’m sure we’ll make 3000 easily. On this thread? I’m not so sure. Might be a little Palin fatigue from last night.

gryphon202 on July 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

This is just more proof that the republican establishment is part of the problem.

MoreLiberty on July 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Wait. Let me go get my case of Red Bull. Hold on a sec…

Dongemaharu on July 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Lol. HA is expanding, folks!
They need some cash!

RedCrow on July 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Excuse me, but who in the world are you, Dustin Siggins? Maybe you could introduce yourself.

gracie on July 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

She needs to be at the inauguration, not the convention.

ninjapirate on July 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM

and think he is far too moderate in almost every way

I wish we would stop quantifying the unquantifiable. Just say he’s too liberal.

Buddahpundit on July 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Maybe Dustin Siggins is baby bluegill in drag and trying to make a cogent argument.

gracie on July 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Well, of course she had a tough act to follow considering that barn-burner of a speech that Mitt gave prior to her appearance.

Come on. Palin’s speech at the RNC was one of the most memorable events at these meaningless get-togethers in ages. She delivered a spanking to Obama from which he still hasn’t really recovered. This is more “I dislike Palin viscerally so I’m going to create evidence as I go along to show how irrelevant and indeed toxic she is”. In other words, the typical Mittbot approach since 2008.

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Now ya did it Dustin…Created another Monster Thread

Yesterday’s Monster Palin Thread ate Cincinnati…

workingclass artist on July 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

including potentially scaring off moderate voters

Hide yer conservatives! The moderates are a commin’!

Dongemaharu on July 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Truly sad.

Dustin, here’s a tip in media management: Palin gets more attention and becomes more of a story, if GOP establishmentarians such as yourself keep her from speaking at the convention, rather than if you just give her a slot (perhaps non-prime time), and move on.

Anyway, I think there’s a moral and tradition-based argument for giving Palin a speaking role that I find more compelling, but even the practical reasons weigh in her favor.

Robert_Paulson on July 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I wish we would stop quantifying the unquantifiable. Just say he’s too liberal.

Buddahpundit on July 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

He’s not “too liberal.”

He checks every single damned box you TruCons value, you just hate him because 1) he’s from the wrong state and 2) he pursues elective office and not a future talk radio gig.

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Got Sardines?

Del Dolemonte on July 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Why doesn’t anyone at Hot Air ever write a piece like this about Mike Huckabee, or Tim Pawlenty, or Haley Barbour, or George Pataki, or Tom Ridge, or Tommy Thompson, or Jane Swift, or Jeb Bush, or Mark Sanford, or Christie Todd Whitman, or Bob Taft, or George Voinovich, Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Bill Owens, or Jim Gibbons, or Jon Huntsman, or Mike Leavitt…or any other Republican former governor?

Why so much disdain directed at Sarah Palin in particular?

steebo77 on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

People who love Sarah Palin, people who hate Sarah Palin, and people who couldn’t bother to give a flying eff about Sarah Palin agree in one thing: they absolutely must post on a thread about Sarah Palin.

Archivarix on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I actually thought that Romney should have been the VP pick that year,

There you have the essential reason. Little Lord Fauntleroy was bumped out of his entitled place by the chillbilly.

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Palin almost dragged McCain’s squishy self across the finish line, despite having his Campaign Team working against her.

Why are the GOP Elite allergic to Conservatism? Still smarting from Ronaldus Magnus politely telling you the way the cow ate the cabbage?

Dustin, do you happen to be from the Northeast Corridor? Just curious.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I know two things about Dustin now: He’s a dope smoker and he’s not worth reading any further. Good luck with that pick, Ed.

swinia sutki on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

She should be at the convention. In a big enough role to spotlight her for a 2014 run at Begich’s seat.

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

gracie on July 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I would not wish that on anyone, ma’am.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Question, Dusty? Do you think Palin’s endorsement of Cruz and Paul in their respective Senate primary races played no role in Paul’s upset victory and Cruz’s current lead in the polls?

I’ll concede she’s not popular with Democrats or moderates who basically believe what the media tells them to(one could call them sheep or mindless drones if you want to be less charitable), but frankly those folks can go Fluke themselves. Palin is a star with conservatives and Tea Partiers. She’d guarantee huge ratings if given a primetime speaking slot at the convention. And it would help bolster Romney’s cred with that bloc of voters which is key to him winning in November.

Doughboy on July 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Who is Dustin Siggins and why is he posting this crap?

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Dustin must not have been paying too much attention in 2008 when McCain actually pulled into the lead for a couple of weeks solely due to Palin’s addition to the ticket and her barnburner convention speech.

steebo77 on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Who is Dustin Siggins and why is he posting this crap?

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Who are you and why are you responding to it?

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Gracie,

I am a young conservative blogger from New Hampshire. I currently live in the D.C. area and formerly worked for a Texas Congressman in his D.C. office.

When it comes to public policy, my major issues of importance are debt, taxes, the economy (including energy policy), and abortion. They are first-tier issues for me.

Secondary issues are our overly-aggressive foreign policy, corruption and transparency in Congress, and immigration/border control.

I’ve blogged for Hot Air for several months now, and contribute to the Green Room, Right Wing News, Race42012.com, and have been published at National Review Online, Mediaite.com, Huffington Post, Daily Caller, Washington Examiner, and other places.

I think we need to uproot the existing D.C. establishment in both parties and basically start over. However, I think that without a strong conservative movement inside of D.C. that can resist the temptation to become part of the problem, succeeding in that goal will be difficult.

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Sarah Palin is like the multi-millionaire franchise player who insists on sitting out the entire preseason and then expects to start the first game. Other Conservatives are out there working hard to help defeat Obama. What’s she doing other than criticizing the GOP nominee? Palinistas can whine about that all day and all night for all I care. 50,000 comments won’t change the reality at all. It’s the truth and that’s that.

cicerone on July 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Palin would make an outstanding senator.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I see the Palintologists are up early this morning.

For the record, finishing 7 points back in no way, shape, or form qualifies as “almost dragged over the finish line”. It is close to the political equivalent of “getting lapped”.

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

What a shock! I thought anyone who fit that profile would just loooooove them some Palin… LOL

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Anything that reminds people of 2008 is a bad thing for the GOP. Do people really want to give Tina Fey fresh material for SNL?

inthemiddle on July 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Who are you and why are you responding to it?

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Who are you and why are you responding to me?

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Neither party wants a true reformer anywhere near DC . I knew that since the Arizona shooting. Sadly, Sarah is a conservative pin up fantasy girl . She will never be invited to sit at the table .

DeweyWins on July 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Palin would make an outstanding senator.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

If I’m playing fantasy politics, and I draft SP, that’s the move I have her make. And I have to think she is the best chance to take Begich down. Any AKers know any better GOP candidates?

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

This is the guy that should be speaking at the convention:

Background (Long but worth every second):

JusDreamin on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

What’s she doing other than criticizing the GOP nominee?

cicerone on July 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

When did she do that?

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Dustin, you make a decent tactical point, but it sounds as if you’re too young to understand how starved the GOP base had been for someone like Palin, and how enraged many of us were by how easily (and ruthlessly) she was demonized – not coincidentally at the very moment Obama was deified. Granted, it’s dangerous to personalize politics so much – Palin is not a holy martyr, just a sort of eclectically conservative prodigy with her share of eccentricities – but there’s something particularly galling about a willingness to dispense with her.

Seth Halpern on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Then I have to ask, outside of optics, what is the problem with Sarah Palin? If she isn’t capable of lighting the fire under that “strong conservative movement” we need so badly, who is?

gryphon202 on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Awwww. Poor widdle idesign can’t handle ANY negativity toward Governor Palin because idesign is easily twamatized. Awww.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Palin?

Mr. Arrogant on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I always wondered why network news couldn’t find just one conservative slanted reporter. Would it kill them? But I guess they know so much more than us. I’m a new commenter but have been a reader here for over 2 years and rarely does a featured writer give any more than left handed compliments to Palin. She inspired me and millions of others. But we keep being told to to sit down and shut up. She’s just not all that.

tj4osu on July 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

and realized I just didn’t think Palin added much to the conservative movement

I am having trouble understanding that statement.

Maybe you are using “adding” or “conservative movement” in a way that requires an understanding of the phrases that’s different from my own.

Axe on July 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Who are you and why are you responding to me?

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I’m somebody who doesn’t throw myself shrieking at Sarah Palin’s feet.

And I’m somebody who doesn’t throw myself shrieking at Sarah Palin’s feet.

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Regarding Palin’s endorsements, I think she’s done a good job in helping conservatives win primaries and get elected, and by and large I think her establishment picks haven’t been terrible. I think she did give McCain a temporary boost, but when the economy tanked hard that faded. I think McCain lost as many center-right and conservative votes because of Palin as he gained because of her.

This was not meant as a “I hate Palin” piece. I think she would make a much better President than Obama. She is more conservative than Romney. That does not mean I think she would be a good national-stage politician.

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

and think he is far too moderate in almost every way

I wish we would stop quantifying the unquantifiable. Just say he’s too liberal.

Buddahpundit on July 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Customer: Excuse me, do you have this shirt in the absence of color?

Shop clerk: …You mean black?

Customer: …Yeah, ok.

Dongemaharu on July 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Does anyone but politicos even watch either of these conventions (aka four day cheerleading rallies for those who have already decided who they’re voting for)? It almost seems like a better use of time/money would be to keep campaigning in the swing states.

inthemiddle on July 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Word must have come from the top that any Palin thread equals $$. Dustin, you could at least updated your post to reflect that Ed’s post was yesterday, not this morning. Having said that, this is just a continuation of the GOPe’s Palin problem. Laura Ingrahm was on Imus this morning saying Mitt needs Palin both at the convention and out on the trail to get the base fired up to counter Mitt’s and the GOP’s Bain problem. Sure to be an interesting summer.

CTSherman on July 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Love Sarah, but she chose not to run and not to support the current candidate.

She is beautiful though.

bluealice on July 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Lots of people get to speak on the podium at the national convention, but not necessarily in prominently featured speeches. Why not give Palin a few minutes to speak?

J.S.K. on July 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Like it or not, people outside the Republican Party & the Conservative Base do NOT Like Palin. They *know* she’s stupid & a moron, whether there is evidence to support it or not. The goal at this point is independents, and I can see the argument that the net impact of more Palin exposure would be, if anything, negative.

This election is really Romney’s to win or lose, Palin has very little to do with it. Romney needs to call Obama out on his BS directly and strongly. It’s always harder to campaign on long term stability and growth as opposed to short-term rainbows and unicorns, but people ARE capable of understanding this. Stop playing nice, Romney. CALL HIM OUT.

Violina23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I’m a Palin fan, but I look at her the way I looked at Newt in his back-bencher days – much better at shaking up the system than leading it.

Not inviting her to speak would be a huge missed opportunity. Having her breathe fire over the throngs on the first night would get the campaign rocking and buy Romney some much-needed credibility and enthusiasm from the conservatives. And, if he left it at that (i.e., no appointing Palin to any campaign position nor promise a governmental position), I think any trepidation from independents would dissipate as the convention rolled into the campaign.

Palin is a powerful political force who best serves as an independent voice and instigator – much like a John Adams.

Don’t be afraid.

Cricket624 on July 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

So if we go through this election with the moderate Romney, moderate VP choice, not offend any independents, and still lose…can we go back to real conservatives like Palin and forget this nonsense?

jmell7 on July 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Again, why not? I am fully aware that this is your opinion, Dustin. And you’re entitled to it. But I’d like to know just how you arrived at it, that is, if you’re capable of explaining. If this is just some emotion fueled by press coverage and vague personal expectations, just say that. I’d like to know where you’re coming from here.

gryphon202 on July 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Maybe the Mittwits hired this guy after Ed’s thread didn’t work out as planned with yesterday’s epic Palin thread.. :)

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM

If by “Palintologist” you mean someone who actually does research and lives out in the Heartland, then, you’ve nailed me.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Well, it’s a GOP convention, it’s not Romney’s damn convention. And I don’t think Sarah is “hugely unpopular” with the GOP base, and I could give a damn what the media thinks.

She’s pretty much expressed an Anybody But Obama attitude, and has not really kissed Romney’s ring. I think Romney’s people would be smart to try and get her further into the fold. Sarah’s appearance at the convention would give it some life and bring some buzz to what might be a pretty boring affair – especially if the VP is Pawlenty or Portman.

TarheelBen on July 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

“AKA where I shift the lynch mob from Ed to me…” – Dustin

Well, you got that right..

Electrongod on July 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Looks like King Gold popped a chip already. Man, and this thread just got started.

Dongemaharu on July 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Thank you, Dustin. I was raised in NH, too, so I won’t hold that against you. I understand your point in your post but I don’t agree with you. The Republican Convention needs to be a rabble rousing free for all to let Obama know we’re mad as hell and can’t take it any more….only Sarah Palin can do that. I had intended to donate the max to Mittens but I won’t unless SP is on site and welcomed to Tampa.

gracie on July 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Look, it’s Porky Pig…LOL

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Doughboy on July 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Seems pretty straightforward.

Axe on July 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Seriously? What planet are you on? We lost center-right and conservative votes because of Palin? You lost any and all credibility with that bit of stupidity.

jmell7 on July 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Sarah Palin is truly a Rorschach test.

I actually thought that Romney should have been the VP pick that year,

Dustin, with this post you’ve revealed your true leanings and ideas about government and approved political leaders. Bravo for coming out of the closet. Now let’s see how well you do when people disagree with you.

As for me….I couldn’t disagree with you more on your assessment and perspective of Sarah Palin.

conservative pilgrim on July 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

This was not meant as a “I hate Palin” piece.

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Oh, come on. Of course it was. This site is pretty much anti-Palin from top to bottom, with the exception of J. E Dyer and MadisonConservative who are usually confined to the Green Room. So it’s no surprise that we get these pieces written about Palin in a tone that would never ever be used for any other figure in the GOP.

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Sarah Palin was the first woman on a Republican Presidential ticket. This fact should be celebrated.

In 2010, Republicans won the women vote. Anyone ask themselves why?

But no, lets ban her from the Republican Convention and deny her a speaking slot and then watch as women in America turn their backs on the Republican party.

john.frank on July 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I’m somebody who doesn’t throw myself shrieking at Sarah Palin’s feet.

And I’m somebody who doesn’t throw myself shrieking at Sarah Palin’s feet.

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Of course not, you’re a Romney boot licker..:)

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

What is it that some folks up in the Northeast have against Palin? She’s a Reagan Conservative? She’s pretty?She’s a Christian? She’s not from there?

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Looks like the MSM and moderates still have the GOP by the balls. Some things never change.

Dongemaharu on July 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Maybe she wouldn’t be a good politician. She does seem more inclined to being a media figure at this stage of her career. But that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be allowed to speak at the convention. She fulfills all the basic criteria of a convention speaker. She’s relevant(2008 VP nominee). She’s influential(her endorsements). She’s inspiring(with conservatives and Tea Partiers). And she’s a ratings draw.

Doughboy on July 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Another Palin thread? Geez! We hate her but By God we’re going to make a buck off her.

Sarah Palin would be wise to stay far away from these Moderate jerkoffs and their increasingly McCain-esque run at Obungler.

She would do more good for herself and the GOP by commenting on Fox than associating herself with the backbiting little turds that swirl in the water around Mitt here and in his campaign.

SurferDoc on July 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Why so much disdain directed at Sarah Palin in particular?

steebo77 on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Because she said Obama pals around with terrorists to a national audience. It was a degree of bluntness that traumatized liberals for life. I’m not kidding, I think that’s it.

Buddahpundit on July 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

In the last year, this site keeps moving closer and closer to the middle.

Would have been nice if there were some facts in this piece instead of just opinion.

huckleberryfriend on July 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Keep digging..:)

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I remember when HotAir was a conservative site. It was cool.

Big Orange on July 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

This was not meant as a “I hate Palin” piece.

Dustin Siggins on July 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Baloney. The post is truly lame. For crying out loud, Sarah Palin was the first woman on a Republican Presidential ticket.

But no, even though she is a superb speaker, who can motivate the base like no one else, let’s deny her a prime time speaking slot.

Hell, let’s not even invite her to the convention.

Talk about stupidity.

john.frank on July 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Based on her public opinion polling, dislike of Palin is not limited to the Northeast, friend.

But for my part, I don’t like her because she’s impulsive, exclusionary, and all-too-easily manipulated by the media.

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Why so much disdain directed at Sarah Palin in particular?

steebo77 on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Buddahpundit on July 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Well, even before that she popped that Obama messianic bubble with the “styrofoam columns” line in that speech. He’s never recovered, and Mitt Romney can never in a million years be quite as effective against Obama.

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I think this is a planted media story.

Mrs. Palin surely will be there, she is a Fox contributor, and surely she will be recognized in the same way the McCain is.

Fleuries on July 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

No. One who does research is a “researcher”. One who lives in the “Heartland” is “someone who gravity sticks to affordable real estate”.

A Palintologist is one thinks that finishing 7 points back is somehow a close race, and that SP was the only reason it was a close race.

I know a little something about political cults… I worked for a man whose support included a fairly sizable one. Not every Palin supporter is a Palintologist, but her cult devotees indulge themselves in excesses that even the Paul cultists blanche at.

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

…um!…you’re wrong!…if they don’t invite her to the party…I will be voting for Mitt…but I will be encouraging people to form another party to join after the election!

KOOLAID2 on July 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I realize folks might jump all over me for this, but I think the piece (I went ahead and read it–didn’t want to, but I figured, “What the hell.”) is well reasoned and makes some valid points.

Young Mr. Siggins’s views are certainly no less valid than those on the “Palin Snubbed” thread from yesterday.

Still, perhaps it would have been better for him to argue his opinion on that thread? (Is it a slow news week?)

RedCrow on July 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Why so much disdain directed at Sarah Palin in particular?

steebo77 on July 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Because Palin’s supporters have anointed her the paragon of “true” conservative values, essentially styled her as the second coming of Reagan, and argue that she’s the ONLY individual with an (R) beside her name who has fought or is fighting against liberalism.

In other words, she’s been set up to be the standard bear or conservatism. And the problem is, she’s not up to that. She’s far, far too flawed.

Vyce on July 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Based on polling, dislike of Romney isn’t limited to them thar anti-Mormon bigots in the South either, friend.

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Jumpin Jazuz!! I got half way thru this piece of claptrap and had to look up top to see if I had linked to HuffPost or Daily Beast!!

Not only does the author have the facts wrong, he’s got the conservative’s position wrong, and is using double speak to infer things that he pretends he is not saying.

Take off your cloak Dusty Matthews – we can see through the mask…. Sheeeesh!!

Without Sarah or Ron Paul at the mike, all the old folks are going to nod off during this convention – and all the young folks will think they are watching a rerun of the Lawrence Welk show on PBS and spin the channel dial…….

Governor Palin ought to be “Keynoting‘ this sleep-in, not banned from it!!

Pecozbill on July 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Keep digging..:)

idesign on July 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Is he not allowed to have a differing view of Palin’s larger electoral appeal?

changer1701 on July 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

a snub is a snub. Palin was the VP candidate of the R party last time. Palin brought searing critique to the death panels and crony capitalism

Palin gave a riveting speech at the last convention that galvanized many people behind the loser McCain.

and, for this, she’d snubbed?

a pretty lousy party if you ask me. the Party that wants to be ‘big tent’….the party that wants to stem the socialist parties designs on America?

Think fast RNC…you could lose 5 percent of the vote because of this…and, bub, you can’t afford that

r keller on July 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

What a sorry comment on the state of politics today that conservatives have to guess and second guess and third guess every comment, decision, speech and tactic, while Dear Leader can spew outright lies and, not only get away with it, but get most of the media to back him up.

natasha333 on July 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Vyce on July 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Her supporters did nothing of the sort. You squishes and libs (but that’s a redundancy) did that from the moment she was named VP nominee.

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

The only time that old fart went ahead in the polls was when he chose Palin and after her rousing convention speech. She was the only person in that sh*** campaign that wanted to win.

The media can destroy anyone it wants to. And the MSM wanted to destroy Palin and did so.

gumbyandpokey on July 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Probably a good idea to let the Snowbilly sit this one out. She is the political equivalent of Polonium to independents.

She can go on Fox news and broadcast her commentary from her igloo.

CorporatePiggy on July 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Are you really going to start comparing favorability numbers between Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin? Really? Really?

KingGold on July 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Personally I’ve never understood how Palin has become the bastion of all conservatism. She’s more conservative than Romney and definitely more than McCain, but those aren’t high bars to clear. Other than that she’s a self-described feminist (though at least she took her husband’s name) that wasn’t too bullish about cutting spending as Governor. She plays both sides with her endorsements, sometimes picking the conservative, sometimes picking the establishment candidate, sometimes just plain picking the woman. I don’t dislike Palin, but I don’t understand the cult of personality around her either. She’s like Rubio, Christie, Daniels – great on a lot of stuff, but with flaws as well.

That said, I think Romney and the RNC should consider the effect that she has upon her supporters, however inexplicable it may be, when setting up convention invites. Still, joining the media (Newsweek, FFS) in complaining about a potential snub isn’t going to be beneficial to anybody but Barack Obama.

Gingotts on July 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

CTSherman on July 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Don’t you know it. The slow summer months mean less hits. A Palin post always brings out the *best* in everyone. ///

And Ed’s post was yesterday, not this morning.

conservative pilgrim on July 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Sorry, Dustin, nice try, but no sale.

Palin was the difference between McCain losing by 7 and McCain losing by 11 to 13 and losing a lot more downticket people than you’d like to believe.

But what’s really disappointing in your piece is your unwillingness to stand up and fight Left narratives.

You want to throw Palin over the side because of what the Left and the Media did to her in 2008.

As if they wouldn’t do that to the next chump who came along, like Nikki Haley or Susanna Martinez? As they are trying to do now?

Romney and the people around the Beltway despise Palin because she brings into presence all of Romney’s deficiencies and weaknesses as a politician: the sense of entitlement, the unwillingness to fight back against the Left, the State Capitalist/Big Government Republican solutions to problems that we saw during the Bush years.

The Roberts vote on Obamacare merely brought into relief the intellectual bankruptcy of Bush Republicanism as interpreted by Willard “Mitt” Romney. It was only highlighted when his aides came out and fumbled the aftermath and revealed Mitt’s true thinking on the subject (which he had to walk back furiously after the Base revolted).

I am not surprised at all that the Romney people are doing this kind of thing. There are other Movement Conservative people that Romney hasn’t brought on board. Leaders lead. Romney is most certainly NOT Ronald Reagan, who by this time in 1980 had unified the party behind his banner.

Governor Romney? Not only has he NOT unified the Party and ginned up enthusiasm against a Left wing President in Clown Shoes, his people are actively giving the middle finger to someone he needs to campaign for him in the fall while he keeps “clean hands”. This is just stupid of him and reminds one of the old phrase, “pride goeth before the fall”. And Palin isn’t the only one apparently on the outs. There are others and we will be hearing about them outside of the Romney Fanboi Bubble hear at Hot Air.

Mittens should be up five to seven points on this Disaster of a Brezhnevite Regime. That he is not tells you all you need to know about Mitt Romney, and has everything to do with the feckless, criminal incompetence and defensive nature of the Bushtard Romney Campaign. None of you here will get away with blaming Sarah Palin if this guy loses to Chicago Jesus.

Remember, Romneybots, if it’s close, Obama will steal it. And Romney will fold up like a Three-card Monte dealer being chased by the Transit Police. It’s who he is. Palin knows how to fight. Romney doesn’t.

You’ve been warned.

victor82 on July 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM

By not ensuring that your first female nominee fo Vice President is at the convention, you are sending the wrong message to women… period… end of story…

She doesn’t have to have a major speech, but she should be there…

Khun Joe on July 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Uh, no. A “Palintologist” to you is someone who denies that were it not for Palin the margin would be only 2 or 3 points. That 7-point spread is smaller than the one Romney’s going to suffer. And THEN it will be the fault of Sarah and her “cult” just the same.

You see, there’s also a “GOPe Groupie” cult.

ddrintn on July 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Sarah Palin is truly a Rorschach test.

I actually thought that Romney should have been the VP pick that year,

conservative pilgrim on July 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I know. A McCain/Romney ticket? Palin’s convention speech was just ok? I think we know what we’re dealing with here.

Dongemaharu on July 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM