Quotes of the Day

posted at 9:51 pm on July 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Well, here’s what I know, we were just talking about responsibility and as president of the United States, it’s pretty clear to me that I’m responsible for folks who are working in the federal government and you know, Harry Truman said the buck stops with you.

***

If we can’t get a good deal, a balanced deal that calls on the wealthy to pay their fair share, then I will absolutely continue this debate into 2013 rather than lock in a long-term deal this year that throws middle-class families under the bus.

***

This morning we lowered our tracking of Q2 GDP growth from 1.7% to 1.4%. For some time now we have noted that our Q3 GDP call — which was already below consensus at 2.0% — had risks that were skewed to the downside.

After the latest round of data we have decided to lower our projection for Q3 to 1.5%.

***

The Obama administration’s continued failure to meet the statutory deadline to report the midsession budget review is unacceptable for a government tumbling toward a debt crisis.

***

“That is his argument and you don’t hear me complaining about him making that argument, because if I was in his shoes I’d be making the same argument.”

***

Instead of moving to the center as the election approaches, Obama has moved even further left. One only hopes that Mitt Romney stops debating over what dates he ran Bain Capital and instead gets busy defending the benefits of free-trade. Americans can’t be surprised when American companies, as well as foreign ones, don’t want to invest in the United States. With this president, why should anyone take the risk?

***

I’m sure every small-business owner who took a second mortgage on their home, maxed out their credit cards or borrowed money from their own retirement savings to start their business disagrees strongly with President Obama’s claim. They know that hard work does matter.

Every small business is not indebted to the government or some other benefactor. If anything, small businesses are historically an economic and job-creating powerhouse in spite of the government.

***

I am running out of room with regard to being above zero!

***

Update: My apologies for the formatting errors. Allahpundit is on vacation this week.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM

mornin’ NC

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I, along with most Conservatives who love this country, plan on holding our noses and voting for you on November 6th, in spite of it all., so we can rid our nation of the Manchurian President.

So, would you please start attacking Obama as viciously as you attacked your fellow Republicans in the Primary?

Thanks.

Very well said, KJ. Giddyup!

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Ed Morrissey does a MUCH better job with the “Quotes of the Day” then Allahpundit does. Allahpundit is such a follower who just tries to guess what the “theme of the day” is, and then he follows the political pundit swarm along in reposting their takes related to that particular theme.

Can we PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE maybe get Ed Morrissey to do the QOTD a few times a week on a regular basis? The man is a genius.

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM

He never expected one. He was pointing out how a decent human being would have apologized.

swinia sutki on July 17, 2012 at 6:24 AM

therein lies romneys problem. he never minded nuking newt . with obama, all of a sudden he’s looking for subtle character defects.

mitt doesn’t have it in his heart to attack liberals.

renalin on July 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Thanks.

Blah, blah, blah. Hey, Mr. Originality, is it possible for you parrot Mark Levin or Michelle Malkin any more? LAME.

There won’t be any noseplugs or nose-holding in this household come November. We proudly welcome the election of President Romney, who I believe will be one of our greatest presidents in decades.

GO MITT!!

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 AM

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Me too, ma’am…but, I’m not holding my breath.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 AM

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 AM

When you’ve written 840 blogs, get back to me, Captain Queeg.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:07 AM

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Crap, who woke the baby up??

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM

“The buck stops with you, Generation Screwed”…

Pest on July 17, 2012 at 7:10 AM

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 AM

*sigh*

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM

LOL.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM

so the latest ad from obama is implying that mitt may have not paid ANY taxes in the last few years….cripe

Hello, Mitt?

FIGHT BACK, FIGHT BACK HARD!!!!!

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM

When you’ve written 840 blogs, get back to me, Captain Queeg.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I’m sorry, but you make no sense. What are you trying to say? Are you the one who wrote the quote I called lame, unoriginal and an obvious parroting of Mark Levin? I’ve never visited your blog, but if you wrote over 840 blog postings, then I applaud you. I think that’s terrific, and wish you the best of luck in your future blogging endeavours. Just don’t expect people to always agree with or be impressed by your points.

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:16 AM

the latest tripe from dear leader

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM

If Romney can stand boldly before the NAALCP he should have no trouble embracing, or at least talking to, a mamma grizzly. He doesn’t have to choose her as VP, but a conversation with someone who represents so many millions of us couldn’t hurt, could it? Those who think it could have their own hateful motives.

swinia sutki on July 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I’m still waiting.

#WAR

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM

the latest tripe from dear leader

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM

While I don’t believe that Romney needs to disclose any but what is required by law, I have this fantasy that he’s holding this information in reserve and will release it when the truth of it will be most damaging to Duh Won and deliver a smack-down from which Barry will not recover. It’s a good fantasy anyway.

Extrafishy on July 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM

mika gushing over stephanie cutter

blech

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Disgustingly dishonest, but I do like the response from Team Romney:

UPDATE: In an email, Romney spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg criticized the White House for its transparency practices without addressing the charges made against her candidate. “President Obama has run one of the least transparent administrations in American history. Whether hiding lobbyists in coffee shops, cutting back-room deals on Obamacare, or concealing the records of ‘Fast and Furious,’ President Obama’s pledge to be transparent has turned out to be just another broken promise,” she said.

Who’s the felon?

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Soooooooo not going to be Jindal apparently, per WSJ article…..

Angst In Hotairopolis over that one.

Please pick another old white RINO Mitt, fire up the base…..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PappyD61 on July 17, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Extrafishy on July 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM

indeed

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM

exactamundo

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I don’t. But, as your predecessor csdeven did, you come on here, and go off on Palin and Conservatives and expect to be admired and embraced. Ain’t happenin’, Sunshine.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM

softball questions to stephanie…

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Professor Gruberlove: How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love The ObamaCare Bomb

A Twofer Tuesday M2RB: Depeche Mode and Dr. Strangelove’s Theme Song

Resist We Much on July 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Sorry, but your Obama-supporting fake conservative internet troll buddies who like to sing the praises of Sarah Palin and constantly trash our Republican nominee and campaign for Obama are NOT conservatives. People like you and others who self-proclaim yourselves “true conservatives” are usually the biggest poseurs of the bunch.

And if you haven’t figured out by now that I quite obviously care nothing about being admired or embraced by some of you trollish regulars, then you are apparently even more clueless than we originally thought.

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM

softball questions to stephanie…

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I had to turn it off. Back to Steve Doocy murdering the King’s English.

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:36 AM

it was vomit inducing…

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I’m still waiting.

#WAR

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM

What did I miss?

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM

What do you mean “we”? You have a mouse in your pocket…or another Hot Air identity?

When are 40% of the political population of America, and 78% of the Religious population, considered “Trolls”?

Get help…soon.

kingsjester on July 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Either provide proof of that claim you made about me last night or publicly apologize for being a damn liar.

#WAR

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM

What did I miss?

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Oh, give me a break. Get over it. How pathetic that some people hold grudges after having been shown to be incorrect time and again.

bluegill on July 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Please, enlighten us. When have you EVER showed something I’ve written here to be incorrect?

#WAR

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Notice the time I issued that challenge. I’m still waiting for just one example of the blue gilled one having shown me to be incorrect on something I’ve posted.

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM

ot: you can tell a political party by their budget
-joe biden

yeah, we certainly can, the do nothing party with a missing budget for the past 3 years…

puhleeze

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Surely Romney and Co. have a plan. They’ve made some smart moves. I wish he would take Trump’s advice and ask for o’s college records.

I must say, I get tired of the battle with the trolls. It just takes over the conversation with mindless back and forth from the them. It’s exactly what they want to accomplish.

I, too, wish we would hear more from Ed.

texanpride on July 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

When did the doofus make that brilliant statement?

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM

ot: you can tell a political party by their budget
-joe biden

puhleeze

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

The Obama administration has missed another annual budget deadline, failing to send Congress a mid-session budget review before July 16.

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) confirmed Monday that the deadline for the review, due every year on that date, was not met this year.

“There will be a mid-session review and timing is still being determined,” spokeswoman Moira Mack said. Source

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM

apparently from a fundraiser…morning joe crew thought he was spot on bashing ryan’s budget…where was the gop guy to say, hey where is the senate’s budget???

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM

natch

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Notice the time I issued that challenge. I’m still waiting for justoneexample of the blue gilled one having shown me to be incorrect on somethingI’veposted.

Flora Duh on July 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM

#War. My money’s on you, Flora.

Naturally Curly on July 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Damn stench.

Bmore on July 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Since I started reading this section many years ago, I have always wondered just who is being quoted. About five percent of the time, I recognize the speaker/writer, but only because I read it somewhere else.

Is it not possible to actually identify the person being quoted??

Is it too much trouble to attribute the “quote”? Or is it really a quote if it’s not attributed?

new2wnc on July 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM

texanpride on July 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM

+++
Agreed on all counts.

cmsinaz on July 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Lol. How you watch that garbage is beyond my reasoning. Thanks, though. :)

RedCrow on July 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Obama’s “You didn’t build that” is like the groundskeeper at Giant Stadium insisting on his Super Bowl Ring.

Christian Conservative on July 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Christian Conservative on July 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

..your point is taken. However, did you know that, in the old days of baseball, the players used to vote various staff members portions of World Series shares? In some cases, the groundskeeping staff used to receive a small honorarium.

The War Planner on July 21, 2012 at 2:29 AM

bluegill on July 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM

..admittedly, Ed is the Go Juice of Hot Air. But you do realize that he works the early shift, don’t you? Allah takes over at about 1500 after Ed puts his innertoob show to bed. (So to speak.) If he were to do this 24/7, I suspect the First Mate would be very upset.

Besides, there is nothing finer than to open up HG in the mornign and read one of Ed’s posts whee he eviscerates those lib D+13 polls that have Obama and Romney tied. Ed on the financial and employment numbers? Absolute reading ambrosia!

Why, it almost makes me want to stoip my subscription to the NYT!

//////////////////////////////////eleventy!

The War Planner on July 21, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Drat! Mornign == morning, of course!

The War Planner on July 21, 2012 at 2:38 AM