Palin snubbed by GOP convention?

posted at 10:01 am on July 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

So says Newsweek, and apparently Sarah Palin.  Six weeks out from the Republican convention in Tampa, Palin has yet to get an invite to the big show.  According to Newsweek’s Peter J. Boyer, Tea Party activists are furious over the snub … although there seems to scant evidence of that in the article itself:

Palin would certainly light up the base at the convention—her 2008 vice-presidential acceptance speech was, in terms of partisan enthusiasm, the high-water mark of the McCain campaign—but a jolt of Palin at Romney’s convention seems most unlikely. The Romney campaign prides itself on a slavish adherence to script, and Palin cannot be trusted to avoid the impulse to go rogue. That is why, perhaps, the Romney campaign has not asked Palin to speak at the convention nor contacted her about even attending the party’s marquee event in Tampa. Queries to the Romney camp about any possible Palin role at the convention meet with a stony silence. Palin does not seem surprised. “What can I say?” she responded in an email from Alaska, when asked by Newsweek about the convention, just before heading to Michigan to deliver an Obama-thumping speech. “I’m sure I’m not the only one accepting consequences for calling out both sides of the aisle for spending too much money, putting us on the road to bankruptcy, and engaging in crony capitalism.”

“In accepting those consequences,” she added, “one must remember this isn’t Sadie Hawkins and you don’t invite yourself and a date to the Big Dance.” …

“Romney’s just not a fighter,” says Jenny Beth Martin, head of the Tea Party Patriots, the largest of the activist groups. “That’s why it would be good for him to have someone like Palin speaking at the convention. He needs to do something to rile up his base, to make them enthusiastic. And I don’t mean just the Tea Party. I mean die-hard Republicans. I live in the second-most-Republican county in the state of Georgia, and the folks around here are not enthusiastic about him.”

The lead-in splash at the top of the web page says, “The Tea Party is livid” over a lack of an invitation (see update), but has anyone heard this?  We’re at least in contact with a number of Tea Party organizations, and to my knowledge none of us has heard that Palin won’t get an invitation to speak, nor of anger over a lack of an invitation to this point.  In fact, I’m not sure we know of anyone who has been inked into a specific speaking slot, including some of the actual presidential contenders from this cycle.

The quote from Martin is the only one Boyer provides from any grassroots leaders, by name or anonymously, and it doesn’t seem very “livid” to me.   Most of Boyers’ assessment of Tea Party activists come from a rehash of commentary and reaction to Romney during the nomination fight.  The Romney camp apparently declined to respond to Boyers (with one exception, to which I’ll return momentarily), and they declined to respond to me when I asked them about this article today, preferring to focus on their new strategy to attack Obama over his crony capitalism.

After reading the article, there doesn’t appear to be much in which to respond, frankly, except one point.  The article seems to be pretty heavy on sourcing from Palin’s camp, and very little from Tea Party activists. In fact, it seems very heavily sourced from Palin herself.  The one comment made by “one adviser associated with the campaign” was that they thought Palin’s contract with Fox would preclude her from speaking at the convention, which Palin refutes herself on the record (and Fox concurs).  It looks like a shot across the bow, leveraged through Boyers with some very weak Tea-Party-is-angry dressing, aimed at Team Romney to give Palin a platform in August.  We’ll see if the message is received, and what the response will be.

Update: The “livid” part came from the “dek” that gets added by editors, not by the reporter.  If you put that expectation aside, the article is actually pretty straightforward.  Also, be sure to read what Herman Cain has to say about Tea Party temperament, which is — to no one’s great surprise — skeptical but open to convincing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 16 17 18 19

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I’ll work on being less of a SOB in the future, but in the liberal land of ChiTcago we are raised to be nothing less, thus like my recovering from being a Dem-0-holic of almost 10 years I’ll have to reform my attitude as well.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

…like my recovering from being a Dem-0-holic of almost 10 years I’ll have to reform my attitude as well.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Whoa. For realz? Wow. So you really have stared down into the yawning abyss and lived to tell of it. Good for you. How old are you — that is to say, how long have you been Conservative?

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

This should be comment 1,702 [second post on page 18]. Wouldn’t it be nice if Romney could draw this sort of attention?

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Goodnight, B. I almost abbreviated you to “BM,” but I thought better of it. I will no doubt be sending you a long, rambling nosy email some time soon! :D

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Good Night Cyndy, Pleasant Dreams. No problem if you had of abbreviated. That kind of thing from friends hasn’t bothered me since 2nd or 3rd grade. ; )

Bmore on July 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Exciting or not, I’ll kiss that darn mormon on the lips if he can rid us of the Anti-Chr!st this November.

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Bmore on July 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Does Bmore mean ‘Baltimore?’

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I kid you not.

Let’s see. I moved out of ChiTcago when I was 28, I became conservative about 16 years ago, and I’ve been voting for republicans for just over 20 years [if my math is right].

I turned 51 last June… and I look it, durnit to 0bamaland! LOL!

I began as a grass roots volunteer about 12 years ago. I would have signed up earlier but I didn’t know where the GOP was hiding.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Why are you such a d!ck toward our last hope of dethroning the petty tyrant? You badmouth Romney all day long, it makes me wonder if you are who you say you are, and aren’t paid to be here. In case you’re wondering, no, waxing your conservative purity creds does NOT make your phallus look any bigger.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

We live in NE Ohio. In my city Republicans are definitely out-numbered. The County GOP is very frustrating here, too. Finally we just started reaching out to specific candidates. If Mandel defeats Brown in November, we could take back the Senate. He is a wonderful guy. It’s all just so important this time.

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

This is where we part ways. You want to be rid of 0bama, but I want to be rid of the liberal policies and legislaqtion that will keep bankrupting America until someone with a strong back and set of convictions gets to work removing it all. IMHO, 0bama is a big nothing that a strong Congress could reign in almost immediately.

After doing the research [months of it] I still don’t think Mitt is the man for that job, BUT if we get a TEA Party Senate elected…

When Mitt is toast [October?] I hope people look for an alterntive, thus giving Johnson the win. That is my worse case scenario.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

JTL! :) Why does everything just start to get interesting when I need to be in bed????

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

There is absolutely no chance that Gary Johnson will win anything. Is he even on the ballot in all the states? No, this time around, it’s going to be Mitt or the rapid decline of all that makes this country great.

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Little did I know, when I emailed tips@hotair last night that this one article would generate 18 pages of over 1700 comments….

This has gone beyond my wildest dreams. If I’m the only one that emailed this in, Allapundit owes me for all the site hits this has generated. If I’m not the only one who emailed the heads up, I’m willing to split the reward for all these lovely clicks.

My goodness. Sarah, you’ve still got it, m’dear. They may try to take you down, but you are still in there pitching.

theotherone on July 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Yikes! Shades of ChiTcago!

Are you signed up to get TEA Party notifications from your local group? That would assist you greatly I believe.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I earlier made the point about how foul mouthed, sophmoric, irrelevant, and disgusting the typical LIbEral Romney supporter is. Thank you for providing me the proof of that particular allegation. Indeed, you did so within an hour! LMAO@YOU!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

when I need to be in bed????

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Go to bed!!!11!1

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Go to bed!!!11!1

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Okay, okay. I mean, Yes sir! :D Til tomorrow, then. You’ll finish up in here, right? :)

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I stumbled upon this yesterday. I wish it could just be easily dismissed, but even this Pollyanna is having a hard time doing that.

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Its the American version of what Europe is facing with Islam. A nation that doesn’t control its own borders isn’t really a nation.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

LMAO@YOU!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

You’re a born-again conservative who has to overcompensate for years of being a liberal moron, but don’t quite have the right stuff.

So you thump your chest a lot and don’t make any sense.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

cynccook on July 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Cy, Johnson WILL be on the ballot in all 50 states, both Romney and 0bama have taken to following Johnsons stands on gay marriage, legalizing drugs, and where do you think the TEA Party and Ron Paul voters recently insulted by the GOP will go?

Johnson is getting over 5% of the vote nationally [over 17% in some states] without so much as running a single ad! He has no where to go but up.

I made my point in the Ron Paul topic here. What you need to understand is my plan would only work if Romney keeps pissing off the base. It is my Plan C [for Conservative].

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

My guess is because some of the most selfish members of the “me” generation think it is a wiser course of action to jump off the cliff with the flag flying than it is to try to save the country. Thomas Paine once famously said “To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” It’s sadly as true today as it was back then.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

So you thump your chest a lot and don’t make any sense.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Projecting yet again we see. Well, that too was expected.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Why are you such a d!ck toward our last hope of dethroning the petty tyrant?

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Romney isn’t going to save anything or anybody.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Mitt Romney needs the support of Sarah Palin and the grassroots if he is to maximize conservative turnout.

Now what evidence do we have that Sarah Palin and the grassroots will be able to achieve this.

All we need to go back to the 2010 midterms when Sarah Palin adopted the role of Patton and orchestrated a massive GOP victory which was fostered by a 77% of the electorate among white voters and conservatives representing 42% of the electorate up from 34% in 2008 while moderate voters only represented 38% of the electorate down 6 points from 2010.

This is the blueprint that Romney needs to follow for certain victory in 2012. Instead he and his staff are obsessed about capturing those precious moderates and independents and winning Hispanic voters who by the way only represent at most 9% of the electorate.

And because Romney and his team are obsessed with winning without maximizing conservative support and following a flawed model that has been attempted several times since 1992, our side is destined to lose to Obama narrowly in the electoral college.

Here’s what it boils down to. According to Rasmussen Obama can now claim safe blue states and leaning blue states to the tune of 247 electoral votes (EV) and Romney can claim 191 EV.

For those of you mathematically challenged Obama only needs 23 more EV to win a second term and Romney needs 79 EV of the remaining 100 EV outstanding.

Here are the states which Rasmussen says are outstanding:

Ohio (18)

Virginia (13)

North Carolina (15)

Florida (29)

Wisconsin (10)

Colorado (9)

Iowa (6)

For Romney to have a realistic chance of prevailing he needs to:

a)Win Florida for sure

b)Win 3 of 4 of OH, VA, NC and Wisconsin

c) Win Colorado or Colorado and Iowa

Scenarios:

Let’s assume Romney wins Florida. That takes him up to 220 EV.

Now if Romney were to also to win OH, NC and WI that would add another 43 EV and take Romney to 263 EV.

He would be then forced to win both Colorado and Iowa because winning CO alone would only give him a tie at 269 EV.

But objectively although Romney is shown to be withing 2 points in the popular vote, the electoral college looks pretty bleak for Romney’s chances.

Now some would argue that Romney should be able to sweep all five big swing states including Virgina. If Romney did that he would pass the 270 EV threshold without needing CO or Iowa.

But let me also note some pollsters (not Rasmussen) are showing NH (4) and Nevada (6) as toss-up states as well. If that is the case then that gives Romney a little more flexibility.

Having said that let me be blunt: If Romney loses Florida or a combination of Ohio and NC, Ohio and VA, or VA and NC it will be all over. Mathematically Obama will be re-elected.

technopeasant on July 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Projecting yet again we see.
DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Wow. I’m impressed. You burned me. I’m so burned.

You come to this site and dump all over our last and only hope. Why? To show off how cool and conservative you are? How hard and throbbing you are? It just makes you seem stupid and petty. We don’t have any other choice, we have to get Obama out and flip the Senate.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Romney isn’t going to save anything or anybody.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Your basis for believing this is?

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Excellent quote. And precisely why I don’t discuss politics with liberals. Sadly, the TrueCons ™ are just as narcissistic.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Popcorn? Anyone?

Bmore on July 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Your basis for believing this is?

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

His record in office.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Romney isn’t going to save anything or anybody.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I don’t look to Romney as a Reagan by any stretch. But he’s a turnaround artist, and I do believe he’ll stop the hemorrhaging. Most of the reform will come out of the House, I suspect. He won’t stand in the way.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Let us review:

Why is Willard working overtime to give 0bama the win?

The GOP just flipped off the TEA Party.
The GOP skewered the results in one state to flip off the Ron Paul supporters.
Romney’s guy came out and told us that 0bamacare is not a tax.
The same Romney guy told us how Romney would do an Etch-A-Sketch move to move back to his liberal roots once elected.
Romney refuses to fire the guy. Maybe because he is right in the eyes of Willard.
Romney went on Fox News trying to sell the liberal notion that his Individual MANDATE is a conservative ideal.

Why take your ire out on me? I’m not the one throwing the race for the GOP. I’m not the one selling the failed liberal candidate. I’m not the one causing republican voters to stay home or look for a better candidate.

Why do you RomBots want 0bama to win? Why do you support Romney’s Individual Mandate? Where is the freedom in any MANDATE? Why are you people killing off the ABO movement?

Supporting Ron Me certainly will give us 4 more years of living in 0bamaland.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

John Boehner?

Didn’t we bet on that swayback nag a few times before? Its never come in a winner so why do you think that will change?

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM

His record in office.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

You mean where he got a budget balanced? Heaven save us from that!

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

BUT, will he lead the Spelunker of the House and Mr. Chao in an effort to reverse the socialistic programs instituted by the obamanation or will he sit back and “manage” after issuing his EO on obamacare?…

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I don’t think she gives a rat’s azz about an invitation. The lack of one will not go well for the Romney team.

katy the mean old lady on July 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Pointing out the ever so obvious:

then whytheheck is she communicating with Newsratsazzweak.

The obvious, it’s glaring. She’s making an issue to agitate…which, unfortunately, is just ordinary old Leftwingism.

I wish more people would not fall for this sort of ratsazz bait but they do, unfortunately.

Most of the attacks on Romney in the last election were from these same “Palin people” and it set in motion most of what Obama and the rest of the Left have since tried to capitalize upon as to gaining and trying to keep Obama in office.

If any of you want to really “stop feeding the trolls,” then stop doing the Left’s work for them.

It’s Romney’s night, the nomination, the Convention, all who claim to be Republicans should be gracious and more than happy and hearty to congratulate the moment and think about winning for a change instead of who they can knife for “popularity” purposes.

Hey, ‘Twerp, I agree with you in your Page 2 comments. I stopped reading, however, at Page 3.

Lourdes on July 17, 2012 at 2:13 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Because it is. The idea came out of the Heritage Foundation. In Massachusetts (hey, what a concept, federalism enables states to experiment AND proscribe mandates, like having car insurance), you have the freedom not to buy insurance. No one puts you in jail. But if you use healthcare in Massachusetts and don’t have insurance, you have to pay extra for taking that risk.

The beautiful thing about states have the power to experiment is that you can pack up and move if you don’t like it. You can’t do that when Obama mandates it at the federal level.

And here’s the whopper for you, because you don’t do your research and just thump your chest a lot: why isn’t anyone complaining about healthcare in Massachusetts?

It’s idiots such as you who can’t possibly fathom that we ALREADY HAVE SOCIALIZED MEDICINE in this country because the law dictates that you cannot turn people away from the emergency room. So who pays for those visits? The taxpayers.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Wow. I’m impressed. You burned me. I’m so burned.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Don’t blame me for your problems. Your illogical support of the GOP’s liberal is what burns you the most, and that wound is self inflicted.

Your liberal may be your only hope, but he isn’t mine. I REFUSE to let the GOP limit my choices. I am not one of the sheep that are easily led off of their cliff.

I’ve been hard at work working to get our TEA Party candidate for the Senate elected. What have you been doing? Checking out the porn sites again?

BTW, your comment serves to prove that you need to see a sex therapist. Admitting your illness is the first step in getting the cure. /smug

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM

LOOK!!!! Someone took time away from watching Star Trek and eating her steak to call out the lying liars lying…

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

And Palin isn’t right for the Presidency. She may be right for a lot of other things, but she isn’t right for the Presidency. I also don’t consider her the epitome of what it means to be Conservative.

How about we focus on the objective for November 2012 and knock off comparing all the subjective, personality stuff? Like Palin, don’t like Palin, she’s not the issue except when she keeps popping up courting the Left.

Contacted by Newsweak, questioned if she’s been invited or not, all she should have replied is, “No, not invited, not yet, thanks for contacting me and have a nice day.”

The only reason to go on with her other details written to Newsweak is due to Palin’s personality issues, unfortunately, which reflects: either her weak judgement professionally or her intent to create liabilities for the GOP.

Lourdes on July 17, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Let us review:

Why is Willard working overtime to give 0bama the win?

He’s only doing that in your head.

The GOP just flipped off the TEA Party.

No they didn’t.

The GOP skewered the results in one state to flip off the Ron Paul supporters.

The GOP didn’t play nice with the crowd who booed Republicans off the stage at state conventions? Whatever it is they did to the Ron Paul supporters they’re reaping what they’ve sewn.

Romney’s guy came out and told us that 0bamacare is not a tax.
Romney refuses to fire the guy.

I thought Romney should have fired the guy, or any other surrogate who goes rogue like that.

Maybe because he is right in the eyes of Willard.

Speculation on your part.

The Heritage Foundation used to think so. It was their idea after all.

Why take your ire out on me?

Because you’re talking stupid. Or was that a rhetorical question.

I’m not the one throwing the race for the GOP.

If you’re not voting for the GOP candidate against Obama then yes you are.

That’s what the primaries are for. My guy lost. So did yours. The difference is I’m not such a whiny sore loser that I think cutting off my nose just to spite my face is now a reasonable course of action.

Why do you RomBots want 0bama to win?

I don’t know if I qualify as a RomBot or not but I don’t want Obama to win. That is the reason I’m going to the polls in November to vote against the most viable alternate to Obama (i.e.: Mitt Romney)

Why do you support Romney’s Individual Mandate?

I don’t.

Supporting Ron Me certainly will give us 4 more years of living in 0bamaland.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Remember what I said before about you talking stupid? You’re doing it again.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:19 AM

You mean where he got a budget balanced? Heaven save us from that!

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM

[T]he state’s health insurance law…Cahill said, “has nearly bankrupted the state.”

RomneyCare, anemic job growth, assault weapons ban, increased taxes and fee’s, refusal to support the Bush tax cuts, carbon emission cuts, attempted regional AGW agreement, handing out free wheels to Massachusetts welfare recipients, etc.

On Dec. 7, 2005, the Romney administration unveiled the final orders. “These carbon emission limits will provide real and immediate progress in the battle to improve our environment,” then-Gov. Romney said in a press release touting Massachusetts as “the first and only state to set CO2 emissions limits on power plants.”

Yee haw! The new conservatism.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

You’re always on the wrong side of just about everything.

Grilled cod with basil, FOX News and personal tasks in preparation for an upcoming exam later this week.

Lourdes on July 17, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Yee haw! The new conservatism.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Still better than Obama and it’s not even close on that one.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Break out the nodoze…

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

The Heritage Foundation distanced themselves from the Individual Mandate after reviewing it. Americans are against the Individual Mandate. Socialism never works, and when they are forced to cut both Medicaid and Medicare you will see the truth of it.

The Heritage Foundation’s constitutional law expert, Todd Gaziano, fired back last week at people who have said the group came up with the idea of a law that requires everyone to buy health insurance also known as the individual mandate.

“It wasn’t really our idea. Any constitutional scholar worth their salt should have known that the individual mandate was unconstitutional,” Gaziano told Newsmax.TV during an exclusive interview Thursday.

Why do Romney supporters post lies and filth? OH YEAH! It is because they are liberals.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Still better than Obama and it’s not even close on that one.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM

In ten years you guys will be telling conservatives to vote for Vladimir Lenin because he is at least better than that Joe Stalin guy. You would be right and miss the point all at the same time.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Don’t be simple. The Heritage Foundation were quick to distance themselves from the notion of an individual mandate because they caught he!l for it. You still aren’t addressing the elephant in the room, Einstein. We already have socialized medicine in this country. What’s your brilliant plan to solve it?

Be careful not to regurgitate Romney’s plan of tort reform, allowing out-of-state private insurance companies to compete and giving incentives to people to buy insurance (which is not a mandate).

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Gary Johnson is mopping the floor with Mitt.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Remember what I said before about you talking stupid? You’re doing it again.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 2:19 AM

You hear me talking? ROTFLMAO!!!

BTW, here is Romney increasing America’s tax burden while Governor:

Mitt Romney has raised taxes on as many people as Barack Obama has

Half of RomneyCare’s new spending was financed by the federal government through the Medicaid program, which is financed through federal taxes, which fall on taxpayers in all 50 states. That means that when Romney financed half of RomneyCare’s new spending by pulling down more federal Medicaid dollars, he increased taxes on residents of all 50 states.

Ever wonder where 0bama’s trillions in deficit spending goes? Well, now you know where a good sized portion ends up. /smug

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Bull dozer coming through. We need to sweep away all the refuse and get all the Mitt off the floor.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Gary Johnson is mopping the floor with Mitt.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Careful with the hair…

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Yee haw! The new conservatism.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:20 AM

All I can say is I have relatives in MA who are Reagan conservatives. They love Romneycare and never complain about it. As for the AGW, I give a lot of people a pass for sitting on the loveseat with Nanzi prior to 2008, or later, when hide-the-decline became all the rage.

I do think Mitt tries to do the right thing, and by right I mean conservative, which is virtually impossible in a state as blue as MA.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

As will Romney once the 0bama campaign makes it an issue.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

So far I caught 2 Bishes on this thread for fun. They were my friends so I let them go.

I thank INC for telling me what Bish means.

Its from Bishop when he tricks you like he is catching fish. It helps if you use the word mop too.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Charlie Gibson: Governor Romney’s system has mandates in Massachusetts, although you backed away from mandates on a national basis.

Mitt Romney: No, no, I like mandates. The mandates work.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

As you refuse to so much as consider the libertarian candidate maybe you need to change your name to John the Liberal, John the RINO, or John the 0bama supporter as those would be factual.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Its one excuse after another when you get down to Romney’s actual record.

Romney…No I didn’t. Honest… I ran out of gas! I–I had a flat tire! I didn’t have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn’t come back from the cleaners! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!!!

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM

As will Romney once the 0bama campaign makes it an issue.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM

This makes no sense. Obama CAN’T attack anyone with the so-called merits of his signature legislation as if it were a bad thing.

This makes me suspect you don’t think very clearly.

Sorry, I’ve got no more bandwidth for you. Why don’t you start posting in all-caps with bold and emphasis, like that rocket scientist, Pragmatic? NOMITTENS2012!!!11!!

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

John the 0bama supporter as those would be factual.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Now I’m starting to suspect you’re slightly retarded.

Why would I have to march lock-step to anyone? Libertarianism is freedom of thought, as well.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:47 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM

funny and ironic, this coming from a self-confessed liberal of not long ago…

jimver on July 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Gary Johnson is mopping the floor with Mitt.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:31 AM

You asked for this, so…

If the Ron Paul supporters, along with the TEA Party membership were to get behind Two Term Conservative Republican Governor Gary Johnson, who today is the libertarian candidate for POTUS, neither Romney or the other liberal would win this year. Considering how the GOP Elitists [Romney included] have insulted both groups within one week, the chances of that happening are increasing on a daily basis.

Check out Johnson’s political stances. More republican politicians are following his lead every day which shows who the real leader in this years race is.

Johnson hasn’t been running for office for 4 years as 0bama and Willard have, yet today he is getting over 5% of the vote according to a Zogby National Poll. In one state he is over 17%. Those percentages will skyrocket once he begins to run his ads.

We are not locked into having to choose between two liberals
. We still have a choice this year. We need to choose wisely as has been proven by the past 4 years of enduring one liberal POTUS. Why settle for another one?

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM

For some reason bold looks better when italicized on the iPad. Bold alone isn’t as good.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Obama says…Now Mitt Romney wants to get elected…uh…and he will say anything he needs to say…but there was a time when Mitt liked a mandated health care system. In fact he had one just like ours in Massachusetts. We took a lot of his ideas and now he wants to run away from that. Mr Etch-A-Sketch strikes again.

Gee that was easy.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:51 AM

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I will keep that in mind.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:52 AM

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:51 AM

That is much better. The italics looks classy.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM

funny and ironic, this coming from a self-confessed liberal of not long ago…

jimver on July 17, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I am an admitted recovering Dem-0-holic of over 26 years and am proud of that. I’m no longer subject to the liberal dogma as are so many so-called republican voters today.

I have nothing to be ashamed of, especially sine I remain an elected GOP delegate who is again on the ballot here in my state. I will win! Can you say the same today?

What I find to be both funny and ironic are the RomBots who wax liberally here while admitting they are too lazy to work at the grass roots level to get Willard elected. Way to show your support from those lazyboys, folks!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM

That is much better. The italics looks classy.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Thanks. Too many people are underestimating the Democrats, their threshold for hypocrisy and the power of the big lie. They will cheerfully accuse their opponents of exactly what they are doing and stare right into your eyes while doing it.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Ok we know BMore has an “in” with Ed.

Maybe BMore could ask Ed to give us a yellow highlighter option. That would be so cool.

But only if BMore thinks its a good idea too.

SparkPlug on July 17, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Gee that was easy.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Yes and no. Because Mitt will say it was right for Massachusetts, and that it’s a state’s right to experiment with individualized solutions. In fact, the Supreme Court has ruled that all you can do at the Federal level is tax, so, in fact, you, Mr. Obama, have levied the largest regressive tax on the American people in the history of the world. When you promised you wouldn’t raise taxes.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:59 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Your problem is you are not at all free. You have been successfully programmed to believe that only a candidate from one of the alphabet parties can win an election no matter how liberal they are, thus you fail.

Free your mind! The rest will follow.
Be party blind! Don’t be so shallow.
Free your mind!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:00 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Trying to say that it was a good idea for Massachusetts but not for the nation makes no logical sense. Romney maintains that Romneycare was great so why wouldn’t it be something he would push for the entire country if its so wonderful?

Its not going to fly.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Gee that was easy.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Thank you for saving me that effort.

The really sad thing is John is better than that. He just choses to believe he isn’t up to the task thanks to the liberal propaganda put out there by the GOP and the DNC.

When I take people to task it is usually an effort to make them rise to the occasion. Damn shame that so many are too lazy to make the effort.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:07 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM

once a liberal, always a liberal, and you still sound like one, dogmatic and all…as for myself, I think you are on crack, as always, if you paid less attention to the voices in your head, and more to what people are actually saying you obviously wouldn’t confuse matters…I said it’s not for me and not interested in working at the grass roots, I have better things to do in life and evidently more options than you do…not interested in political activism, simple as that, I give the money, up to Romney what he does with them, I trust he is going to put them to good use and run a smart campaign. he can hire smart people to do the job that you do as a volunteer, probably they would be more professional and more motivated than you anyways…

jimver on July 17, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Its not going to fly.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 3:05 AM

We both know why Romneycare is bad for all of America:

Mitt Romney has raised taxes on as many people as Barack Obama has

Thanks for your share of our deficit, Romney… NOT!
Thanks for making the people in Mass. a bunch of freeloaders living on our dime.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Free your mind! The rest will follow.
Be party blind! Don’t be so shallow.
Free your mind!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:00 AM

lool :-) this coming from certified insane asylum tin foil ‘vote for Gary Jonhson’ camp :-)…comedy gold :-)…

jimver on July 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Thanks for your share of our deficit, Romney… NOT!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Romney made that clear in his announcement of Romneycare.

Senator Kennedy, together we pitched the secretary, on our vision to insure all our citizens. And on the need for federal support, to make the vision real. His work in Washington, and behind the scenes on Beacon Hill, was absolutely essential.”

It is now my pleasure to introduce my collaborator and friend Senator Edward Kennedy.”

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 3:17 AM

jimver on July 17, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Thus 0bama wins again! Enjoy your life… until the liberals in the alphabet parties take that away from you and yours.

BTW, if YOU really wanted to hear what people were saying you would be a greeter at your local GOP Victory HQ as am I. Instead you prefer to turn on an electronic gizmo loaded with liberal propaganda, and that is what keeps you clueless.

Be programmed well! Enjoy it!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:19 AM

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Great example of birds of a feather.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:00 AM

heh. Romney don’t want no scrubs…

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM

jimver on July 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM

OOPS! Your liberal side is showing again. Best lower your skirt so people won’t see that.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:23 AM

heh. Romney don’t want no scrubs…

Gohawgs on July 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM

From his actions and those from the GOP during the past seven days it is clear that they don’t want any votes. No wonder we no longer hear ABO.

GOP Elitists: Capturing failure from success every chance they get.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I just noticed something here at Hot Air. Amongst the topics here there is only one topic telling the story of how Romney is fighting to win the election in which there is a mere 133 comments while most are about 0bama, the democrat party, and the one with the most interest is this Sarah Palin topic, which now has over 1,780 comments in it.

Is Willard really that disengaged this year? Is he really that incapable of garnering the enthusiasm of the readers here? Is there any reason what-so-ever to believe that he is capable of winning this election?

I wonder if Sarah can smell the GOP FAIL from Alaska today. PHEW! /s

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM

Endorse Romney officially. Case closed. Don’t be squishy. Her “endoresement” sounded a lot like Rick Santorum’s. A non-endorsement endorsement. Philly on July 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Sad to Say
but “Squish” support
is what Romney evinces.

If he expects to win this Job,
its incumbent upon him to fix
the wounds he inflicted during
the primary.

Its obvious however that his plan
is to tippy toe through Lefty tulips.
Pretending that the Conservative avalanche
roaring down the valley is a harmless rumble,
no threat to his ‘middle of the road’ performance.

Mitt’s miscalculation may indeed cost him, and US the same
price we paid for McCain’s failure to prepare the party for battle.

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on July 17, 2012 at 3:43 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM

That’s because born-again idjits wanting to brandish their conservative creds show up hoping to thump their chests and not make any sense.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Mitt’s miscalculation may indeed cost him, and US the same
price we paid for McCain’s failure to prepare the party for battle.

On Watch on July 17, 2012 at 3:43 AM

So the question remains, Are the voters ready to change course if the GOP selectee refuses to fight the good fight, or will they capitulate to the liberal 0bama Regime?

That is as relevant as it gets.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:58 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Speaking for yourself yet again? How quaint!

BTW, read your post to yourself. Hurts a lot, eh?

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2012 at 3:55 AM

No, its because Caspar Milquetoast doesn’t generate a tenth of the interest that Sarah Palin does. Romney is simply dull as dishwater. Bob Dole at least talked about himself in the third person which was at least mildly interesting.

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 4:01 AM

sharrukin on July 17, 2012 at 4:01 AM

My point exactly, and the proof of that resides right here in Hot Air. Heck, even John the clueless didn’t show as much interest in the Willard topic as he does in this one.

Great post.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 4:08 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Thanks for your share of our deficit, Romney… NOT!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM

You know I appreciate your attempt at smugness. As far as efforts go, even first efforts, it was fairly lame but if you keep working at it eventually you might say something funny and then, if you try hard and keep on working at it then eventually you might even be clever.

You know what other governor increased the deficit by expanding their state’s federal Medicaid burden, both in terms of dollars and a percentage? Sarah Palin. When she took office Alaska was getting about $615 million per year from the feds in Medicaid and when she left it was over $700 million.

Glass houses, dude.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM

That got brought up about ten pages ago and I’ll make the same point now I did then.

Avatar and Titanic are the highest grossing movies of all-time. Popular sure doesn’t mean good.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 4:21 AM

In the 1980′s Geo HW Bush sent a crime fighting task force to Miami Florida to clean up the spree of killing and drug related violence. I was in a local hot spot bar drinking next to a fellow who was an agent for that task force; I asked him how he felt about the violent retaliation that the authorities were putting on the criminals? His response was: “They don’t matter and I don’t care.”

Since that day I have realized that this attitude is endemic to our “leadership”. The 1,700 plus commenter’s on this blog really don’t matter to either party leadership when push comes to shove and they don’t care.

jarhead0311 on July 17, 2012 at 4:29 AM

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I’m sorry! Is there some relevance in that comment? Are you, in some inane way, trying to prove that Romney will still beat 0bama even though he continues to piss off the GOP base?

LMAO! OK! That was a silly concept as we both know it is now proven Willard cannot now energize enough voters to win this year no matter what he does, or how many more lies he tells since he is happy to let 0bama do all of the messaging this year.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Glass houses, dude.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM

Got a source? Thought not, but I DO!

RomneyCare was born of, and expanded, a corrupt scheme by Massachusetts politicians to tax residents of all 50 states.

What motivated Romney to enact RomneyCare, as former Romney/Obama adviser Jonathan Gruber explains here, was the widespread desire (within Massachusetts) to hang on to $385 million of federal Medicaid money that Massachusetts had secured using one of Medicaid’s notorious and fraudulent “provider tax” scams. In other words, the whole purpose of RomneyCare was to enable Massachusetts to hold on to $385 million that it received by defrauding and taxing residents of other states. And of course, Romney/RomneyCare caused the tax burden that Massachusetts effectively imposes on non-Massachusetts residents to grow.

Glass houses, dude!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 4:43 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 4:43 AM

I never complained about any governor taking federal dollars to fund their state Medicaid program (and thus contributing to the budget deficit). All I did is point out that if you’re going to hold it against Governor Romney for doing it then you ought to hold it against Governor Palin for doing the same.

As for my source:

Click the “Medicaid Enrollments and Payments” tab then scroll down a bit to find the numbers.

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 4:54 AM

jarhead0311 on July 17, 2012 at 4:29 AM

1) There are 1,7892 comments, not commenters, in this topic.
2) Whenever any politician learns that voters are not happy with them in any election year they wet their depends.
3) We’ve seen the results of how more than 2,000 people have read here at Hot Air per day, but not every single day.

My point is that politicians remain scared to death of We the People, especially since the TEA Party groups formed, and that is the way it should be.

Buck up. The 2012 fight has barely begun.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 4:59 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 4:43 AM

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 4:54 AM

It was tempting to interrupt the “love fest” you two have going, but never mind.

I’m off to work . . . . . . BUT KEEP THE COMMENT COUNT GOING . . . . after all, I hear she’s not “relevant” you know.

listens2glenn on July 17, 2012 at 5:05 AM

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 4:54 AM

While I was unable to get your link to work I DID find something particularly relevant:

Medicaid Alaska is an insurance is a program that is primarily designed to give low income citizens health insurance.

Although Medicaid Alaska was created by the federal government, it is mainly administered by the state of Alaska government. What this health insurance program does is that it provides financial medical assistance to low income individuals and families. Even the elderly, the disabled, and children living with low income families can be qualified for Medicaid.

What is that? No freedom stealing MANDATE in that? How relevant!

In the meantime, the citizens in Mass. remain nothing better than a bunch of dirty freeloaders getting their healthcare paid for out of the taxes I pay in.

Thanks for nothing, Mr. Individual Mandate!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM

After reading the article, there doesn’t appear to be much in which to respond, frankly, except one point. The article seems to be pretty heavy on sourcing from Palin’s camp, and very little from Tea Party activists. In fact, it seems very heavily sourced from Palin herself. The one comment made by “one adviser associated with the campaign” was that they thought Palin’s contract with Fox would preclude her from speaking at the convention, which Palin refutes herself on the record (and Fox concurs). It looks like a shot across the bow, leveraged through Boyers with some very weak Tea-Party-is-angry dressing, aimed at Team Romney to give Palin a platform in August. We’ll see if the message is received, and what the response will be.

I have just read this piece. Wait a minute, so after this news your gripe is that there were no sources for the tea party angst but not Romney campaign’s dastardly actions? Good to know Ed. These four years have been quite instructive. If this is war, I certainly wouldn’t want to stand with people like you.

promachus on July 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 5:10 AM

You couldn’t get it to work? Mmhmmmmmm……

On the off chance you’re telling the truth, I’ll throw some numbers at you.

In 2008 when Sarah Palin was governor the state of Alaska it got 60% of its Medicaid funding from the federal government. That same year in Massachusetts with Romneycare having been signed into law two years before the state only was getting 50% of its Medicaid funding from the feds.

So if want to pillory governors of dirty freeloader states who are getting health care funding out of the taxes you pay, Massachusetts and Romneycare are doing a better job keeping themselves off the federal teat than Sarah Palin’s Alaska ever did.

Facts are stubborn things, aren’t they?

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 5:28 AM

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 5:28 AM

fitting handle for you. trying desperately all night to turn romney lead into gold.

We have gold, alchemist, its called Sarah Palin.

renalin on July 17, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Facts are stubborn things, aren’t they?

alchemist19 on July 17, 2012 at 5:28 AM

They certainly are, and that is why Romneycare remains an anchor around his neck today.

Speaking of facts:

Palin has stated that her decreasing support for federal funding was a source of friction between her and the state’s congressional delegation; Palin requested less in federal funding each year than her predecessor Frank Murkowski requested in his last year.

BTW, I’m still trying to get your bloody link to work. Leave it to a government run site to work like 0bama.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 5:36 AM