Obama: “If You’ve Been Successful, You Didn’t Get There On Your Own”

posted at 2:01 pm on July 16, 2012 by Dustin Siggins

In a Friday speech in Roanoke, Virginia, President Obama attacked the idea that the wealthy get that way on their own. From the Real Clear Politics partial transcript:

[L]ook, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

Jazz Shaw tagged this part of the speech in a post on Saturday, and noted that President Obama is taking this part of his speech almost directly from the mouth of Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren. Back in 2011 Warren famously said the following:

“You [wealthy people] moved your goods on roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces the rest of us paid for.”

This is a fantastic campaign line. Or, rather, it should have been, but as Jazz pointed out it fell down around Warren’s ears. Perhaps the rhetoric couldn’t stand up against the facts, such as the following:

1. The wealthy already pay more taxes than everyone else, both as a percentage of total federal taxes collected and as a percentage of their own income. So unless Obama is seeing different facts than the rest of us, upper-income earners are definitely not getting a free ride, or even half of a free ride, on the backs of middle-class earners. So the “somebody” who “invested” in “publicly funded widget XYZ” is actually the wealthy person Obama is bashing.

2. Unless wealth was earned dishonestly, it belongs first and foremost to its earner. Otherwise, we no longer have a country of free people earning money and paying a small amount of it (or, rather, what should be a small amount, and would be if our federal government was the size the Constitution dictated it ought to be) to taxes. Instead, we have a nation of people who earn money first and foremost for government. Combined with the recent Supreme Court decision that forced contracts are now legal (my interpretation, at least, of the practical implication of the Court’s decision that the mandate is a tax), this attitude by the highest office-holder in the land is quite dangerous. Not new, of course — liberals have used this language at least as long as I’ve been around, which is an ancient nearly-27 years — but dangerous.

3. I’ve long argued with liberal friends and acquaintances that even if  business owners (especially wealthy ones) don’t pay “enough” in taxes, their contributions to society through an expanded tax base, an expanded economic pie, providing income for employees and their families, providing employees with the opportunity to learn and use skills, etc. more than make up for any perceived lack of taxation. I have yet to convince any liberals of the validity of this argument, but hope springs eternal.

4. Tangentially-related, most of the social services and publicly-funded investments Obama is talking about aren’t even paid for by the people he is pandering to. In fact, the taxes covering those programs are largely paid for by the very people he’s bashing. As I wrote last week:

While almost all Americans do pay some sort of federal taxes – from taxes on cigarettes to payroll taxes…the 50% or so of taxpayers who don’t pay non-payroll income taxes benefit from federally-funded roads, education services, immigration control, the military and other federal services. Who, then, pays for these services? According to the Tax Foundation in an October 2011 report, “The top 5 percent earned 31.7 percent of the nation’s adjusted gross income, but paid approximately 58.7 percent of federal individual income taxes.” In short, most taxes for non-retirement social spending – the same social spending liberals are so keen on expanding – are being paid by those people liberals also say don’t pay enough in taxes – the top five percent, whose income was a relatively modest $154,643,000 in 2009, according to the Tax Foundation.

The facts stand on their own, and are more powerful than any rhetorical devices Obama or Warren can come up with — the wealthy pay their fair share, on average, and while the tax system is certainly deficient (it provides many well-connected rich Americans with special loopholes, and prevents 50% of workers from paying any non-payroll income taxes at all, to name but two flaws) it does not need higher rates while spending continues to grow unchecked and without proper oversight. Obama wants higher taxes? How about we cut spending by 20% or 30% as a trade-off or, better yet, simply eliminate loopholes and apply some of the extra tax revenue to deficit reduction and the rest to lower rates for everyone? Would that be the balanced approach he allegedly wants, and claimed to be for on Friday?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Full skit here.

Bmore on July 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Obama speaks only of what he knows. He is a product of help. From affirmative action to lawyers, Obama sure hasn’t earned any success on his own.

The Notorious G.O.P on July 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Commie.

Terrye on July 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM

5. Since the roads and infrastructure and employees “the rich” “used” in bringing the goods to market are paid by and available to all, they are commons. Anyone can use them. But not everyone creates a business. Therefore, the businesses were created entirely by whatever extra the investors and small business owners bring to the equation. So the business is created entirely by the business owners.

jpferman on July 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I built my business MYSELF… in spite of City, County, State and Federal taxes and regulations on all of it. FU Mister President. You’re an imbecile, and you just lost 98% of the vote of every small-business owners in the country – or at least you would have if the MSM would report this story.

baldylox on July 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

You borrowed money against my future to pay for the roads and you tell me because of that I am more indebted to you for any future things I do.

Mormontheman on July 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

It not too surprising == this has been his experience. He knows that almost nothing he has done accounts for his success … it was all other people.

Jaibones on July 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

This is the same attitude of Bill Gates and many of the greatest capitalists of our time. I don’t understand the controversy.
To anyone who knows many Wall Street bankers, this statement is going to resonate. Some are brilliant traders, but many others simply knew the right people and that’s why they enjoy multi-million dollar bonuses every year. You’ll hear this observation from people inside finance all the time.

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I don’t understand the controversy

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Good, you’re back. You never told us how an 8% increase in the cost of imported components for assembled-in-America widgets will encourage local job creation. Thankfully it ties into this thread nicely. Please explain.

rogerb on July 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

WHY are there ONLY 209 comments here? THIS IS THE MOST EGREGIOUS THING THAT I HAVE HEARD THIS POLITICAL MOUNTEBANK EVER SAY!!!!

Glenn Jericho on July 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM

You small business owners would be nowhere if it weren’t for the intercontinental railroad the rest of us paid for.

McNinja on July 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I don’t understand the controversy

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

rogerb on July 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Yes, our semi-trade policies with China have boosted job growth in the US. Because assembled in America products are a huge source of American wealth generation. Good call.

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Obama is simply projecting. He never accomplished a damn thing in his pathetic life without someone propping him up.

Please God deliver us from this evil.

tom daschle concerned on July 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Once again, the Republican Party is showing us how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Romney and his team need to get on this NOW and HAMMER him to the ground on this and other statements. PLEASE don’t be all Mr. Nice Guy (McCain) on us and let Obama say whatever he wants without any response!

Decoski on July 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM

So we’re all responsible to each other eh?

Where is my thank you note from the government for my tax money so they could build and staff the largess of the welfare system, and where is my thank you note from all those people I have been supporting since starting work at age 14?

batterup on July 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Memorable quotes for Enemy of the State (1998)

Robert Clayton Dean: That tape has been the bane of my existence. I wish the one that we have was at the bottom of the Chesapeake.

J_Crater on July 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

This evil, malevolent, nakedly anti-American ‘president’ *must* be removed from office.

Midas on July 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

batterup on July 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Dude, they did *that* all by themselves, see?

Midas on July 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Why must liberals start every discussion about taxes with the assumption that the pie is fixed? (Rhetorical).

To quote Milton Friedman: “Grow the pie.”

Of course, this president and his minions have no interest in growing the pie. They want to destroy the pie. Stupid commie bastards.

H.E. Pennypacker on July 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Memorable quotes for
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Elrond: Strangers from distant lands, friends of old, you have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction; none can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom. Bring forth the ring, Frodo.
Boromir: [Frodo puts the ring on a stand for all to see] So it is true. In a dream, I saw the Eastern sky grow dark. But in the West, a pale light lingered. A voice was crying, “The doom is near at hand, Isildur’s Bane is found.”
[reaches for the Ring]
Boromir: Isildur’s Bane

J_Crater on July 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

ya know…?
For someone who uses “I” and “ME” as much as he does in his speeches, you’d think he’d give some slack to other people.

Narcissist much?

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on July 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Short list
Mr. Wilcinski chemistry
Mr. Van Antwerp music
Dennis Warren Silicon Valley. Entrepreneur
Mark McNally Las Vegas. Entrepreneur
My Dad
My Mom
Yeah we all owe our fellow citizens
Xo ha

seesalrun2 on July 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Given the fact that the rich pay nearly ALL the taxes used for his pet projects and spending, it’s pretty obvious he is simply lying to play up to the base. If he doesn’t KNOW its a lie then he should resign immediately for being a complete idiot.

goflyers on July 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM

A commenter on another blog echoed my thoughts exactly: I’m moving from mere political disagreement with Obama to outright revulsion.

schlagerman on July 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM

If you want to see idiocy on parade, Hannity had a clip of one of my failed Senators, Patty Murray, talking “tough” about not allowing the GOP to hurt the middle class. How is she protecting the middle class? She will not allow the “Bush Tax Cuts” to be continued because the rich will not pay their fair share if those cuts continued.

Like I said . . . Patty Murray is an idiot.

Voter from WA State on July 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Isn’t she the one that was voted the stupidest person in this Congress?

slickwillie2001 on July 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Obama: “If You’ve Been Successful, You Didn’t Get There On Your Own, PAY UP

Kenosha Kid on July 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Romney can’t defend free market capitalism. He is the antithesis of honest capitalism.The only payroll he ever met was for his employees in China.

Uppereastside on July 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I was shopping in Staples today and did not see a single one of these Chinese employees Axeldouche and Oliar are speaking of.
What up with that?

Oh, btw- exactly what is Ozero’s business experience again ?

You commies need smarter squirrels.

FlaMurph on July 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Uppereastside on July 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Tell us about O’bama and General Electric, one of his Sugar Dads.

How many of their jobs are offshore?

U-

Del Dolemonte on July 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Yes, outsourcing is evil.

You must hate Obama for outsourcing our rides to the space station to the Russians.

itsspideyman on July 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Barry in the Virginia Speech: Look at me, if I’ve been successful, I didn’t get there on my own, based only on my lies. Affirmative Action, White Quilt, Black Racism and Chicago Corrupt Politics were there to give me a big helping hand along the way.

bayview on July 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

You sir, are either really, really stupid or you are a raving lunatic. Any trader who got there by knowing someone is not going to admit that, even to themselves. How on earth will their resonating show? You think they are going to vote for Obama, who wants to take their wealth because they know, deep down, they don’t deserve it? Idiot.

Night Owl on July 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I found this on the DU website. It was posted by a “Star Member” named “KansDem” with a mind-boggling 22,352 posts. (WOW!)

It offers much insight into the thoughts of a committed-leftist on the topic of economics and governance. It also helps to explain why the Obama campaign is using the “workers(big-government)versus big-business” rhetoric.
The full text is between the dashes.

(HEADER)
———-

Star Member KansDem (22,352 posts)

Because the myth of the ‘self-made’ man…

———-

10 Reasons You Should Be Starting Your Own Business

1. You have control
2. Financial compensation.
3. You get to be the boss.
4. You can write off more expenses.
5. You can benefit from the talents of others.
6. In-office political immunity.
7. Recognition.
8. Equity.
9. It’s easy, if you have the expertise.
10. You can work from home.

(details provided at link)

I don’t know if these are weighted, but I always thought the no. 1 reason was no. 3–”You get to be the boss.” Also no. 1–”You have control.” In other words, you don’t have to take orders from anyone.

I don’t mind folks starting a business and working hard to make it succeed. What I do mind is when they “forget” they’re doing it for self-centered reasons.

As far as making it on your own: no. 5 requires the good work of others who you employ. You rely on these folks making your business successful.

In summary–
Self interest: nos. 1, 3
Rely on work of others: no. 5
Financial benefit: nos. 2, 4, 8
Self satisfaction: nos. 6, 7, 9, 10

Also–
…inspires people to believe that privatized solutions are always superior to government solutions

“Big Government” is “of, for, and by” the people. I find it laughable that it’s demonized by the Republicans. By the same token, I find it strange that no conservative equates “Big Corporation” with “of, for, and by the investors.”

———-
(END OF POST)

It is funny that KansDem started the post with the statement that: “Hardly mentioned in these scenarios is that fact that “self-made men” go into business for themselves for basically self-centered reasons.”

Well, YA THINK!!! LOL!!!

There was a book written about 200 years ago about “self interest.” If you are fat and happy, I’m not going to give you one of my potatoes unless you give me a dollar. If you buy one of my potatoes I make money and it serves my self interest.
It amazes me that a person could then state that the main reasons people go into business for themselves is firstly “You get to be the boss,” and secondly “You have control.” Of course, this totally contradicts the first statement of the post.

Those are actually the top-two reason why politicians run for office. The third is for “2. Financial compensation.”

The REAL #1 reason a person starts a business is “2. Financial compensation.” The REAL reason anyone applies for a job at that business is “2. Financial compensation.” Those workers don’t really give a hoot how much the the owner makes as long as they get a paycheck for their work. Surely, the employees will be aware of mismanagement and market-conditions, but their first concern is always “2. Financial compensation.” It is self-interest that makes the system work.

KansDem ends with this:

This is the strategy. “The People” are the (big) government.” “The Investors” are evil-aliens from some dark world that eats babies and poisons the air and water. They make their fortunes off of slaves toiling in their mills of death.

Hey! KansDem!

Q: “I mean who has the best interests of the American people at heart? Government (“The People”) or Corporations (“The Investors”)?”

The Answer is…..

YOU!!!

shorebird on July 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

To the small businessman he is saying Your wealth was earned on the backs of others, now that you have built your business into a successful enterprise, it is time to pay for what others gave you. He made it absolutely clear your wealth, your success, your business belongs to him, and the entities who supposedly helped you like the government, and he plans on taking your success and wealth and giving it to his supporters because he honestly believes nobody can do it without government help. Instead of celebrating the success of small business people, he sees you as the problem, rich and self indulgent, enjoying the fruits of your labor. If he can take what is yours and give it to his followers he will, through higher taxes, penalties, fees and outright theft through Executive Orders. Sounds like Communism to me, but he would never use that word, even though that is who he is.

stormridercx4 on July 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Where does this type of Marxist rhetoric belong in our constitutional republic that has built wealth, prowess and individual success based on the capitalist system?

Rhetorically, nowhere. It has no place, nor should it receive any support in our country.

Immigrants have and still do come to our country with a dream of being successful and living their life free from the encumbrance of government. They have come for the uniqueness of our society which allows a man, any man irrespective of background or position in life to become successful through hard work, perserverance and the sweat of their brow.

Those roads and schools he speaks of were built with tax money taken from the productive. They were installed with sweat from the brow of people who worked hard and had these same dreams.

The police and firefighters were not given anything except money from the taxpayers who support them. They work hard on their own, not due to anything the government gave to them or did for them.

This is a government of the people. It’s about time we showed that in November and got back on the road to a succesful future.

Marcus Traianus on July 17, 2012 at 3:01 AM

If it’s that easy why isn’t everybody wealthy?

{^_^}

herself on July 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM

If it’s that easy why isn’t everybody wealthy?

{^_^}

herself on July 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM

If it is that easy why doesn’t everyone vote?

The answer to both questions remains the same; Laziness.

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 6:28 AM

I didn’t get there on my own? I beg your pardon?

msidders on July 17, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I don’t understand the controversy

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

rogerb on July 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

You made the initial argument and then you abandoned it. I’m just asking how you believe an 8% increase in the cost of components will encourage job creation in the US.

Thanks in advance.

rogerb on July 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Mandated equality is the same enforced mediocrity that unions create. Innovation and hard work makes the rest of us look bad. You mustn’t skew the numbers.

Extrafishy on July 17, 2012 at 7:34 AM

bayam on July 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

So, some people are successful because of who they know, or their families, and because of that – they owe the gov’t more $$?

And enough with the “bill gates wants his taxes raised” b.s. As usual, it is completely dishonest. If Bill Gates wants to pay the gov’t more, nobody is stopping him. The fact that he doesn’t proves that what he wants is for others to pay the gov’t more. His own money will continue to be safely protected in tax shelters. That is what rich people do – they use the gov’t to put up hurdles to keep the competition out.

Every thread you leftists throw out this nonsense – “Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Zuckerberg want higher taxes – therefore it must be good policy” and you know it is dishonest b.s. Does the constant need to lie not inform you that your philosophy is wrong? If any of these people you cite wanted to pay higher taxes, they are free to do so. So, come back to me after they voluntarily pay the gov’t double their tax rate – without taking any deductions or credits, for 5 years. After they have done that voluntarily for 5 years, then you may have an argument that these people truly want to pay higher taxes. Until that happens, what they want is for other people to pay higher taxes.

And, as long as we are on your compulsive need to “cite to authority” rather than make a rational, logical argument based on facts, if we are taking rich people’s opinions as gospel, why don’t we poll everyone who is in the top 1% in wealth and agree that whatever policies a majority of those people prefer – all leftists will agree to support? That you will push the democrats to enact laws in conformity with the top 1%’s wishes. Will you do that? If not, then why do you keep telling us what Gates or Zuckerberg allegedly want for policies?

I just wish that for once leftists would be honest, logical and rational. Just for one argument about anything.

Monkeytoe on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Also, Bill Gates claims that he did not build Microsoft? That he doesn’t deserve the credit? That it was due to gov’t? Then why does he keep all that money?

Such idiocy. And you think you are intelligent. It is too funny.

Monkeytoe on July 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM

“If You’ve Been Successful, You Didn’t Get There On Your Own”

This from the trashy little punk who never held a real job in his lifetime.

For once I agree with Huckabee: Of all the stupid and outrageous things that have come out of Øbama’s mouth, this is the most stupid and most outrageous of them all.

I would crawl over broken glass to vote against this vile poser.

petefrt on July 17, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Monkeytoe on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Well done.

rogerb on July 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM

So THIS GUY understands economics more than Mitt Romney?

What’s next? Marriage advise from Bill Clinton?

Wagthatdog on July 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Obama: “If You’ve Been Successful, You Didn’t Get There On Your Own”

New heights reached in the wonderful world of leftist douchebaggery….

“Liar” Lizzie Warren must be so proud !!

BigSven on July 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM

In Warren’s inflammatory rabble-rousing rhetoric “the rest of us paid for” is a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth. It implies the “business owners” (ie. capitalists) using the roads and protected by the police and firemen did not help pay for them. An accurate statement would be “that we all paid for, some paying a lot more than others”.

Not to mention that business owners usually pay extra for security guards and systems, because the police usually arrive after a crime has been committed, and for fire prevention and suppression systems, because fireman usually just try to control the fire and prevent it from spreading. Much of the damage is already done by the time they arrive.

Socialists like Warren and Obama are despicable contemptible baiting liars.

farsighted on July 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Mitt should make an ad showing the govt can’t make it on it’s own with out help from the taxpayers. Everybody gets helped according to Prezzy You Can’t Make It On Your Own.

Kissmygrits on July 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM

In Obama’s absurd world everyone should carry a ledger 24×7, charge for every word conveying advice or information they utter to another, and keep a record what everyone owes them, just to keep the books straight on who owes who what. Further, before uttering a word of advice or information to another, everyone should state their price up front and give people a chance to buy or decline to purchase, so they have a choice in the matter.

Such is the way the world works in the mind of a socialist.

farsighted on July 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’

Government is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

HT: Ronaldus Magnus

petefrt on July 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Tell us about O’bama and General Electric, one of his Sugar Dads.

How many of their jobs are offshore?

U-

Del Dolemonte on July 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

THIS. you frickin’ hypocrites. Commie douches all.

HomeoftheBrave on July 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Obama: “If You’ve Been Successful, You Didn’t Get There On Your Own”

Thus spoketh the Post Turtle of the United States

Roy Rogers on July 17, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I do not understand how this is allowed to continue. I do not understand why this person occupying the Oval Office is not under impeachment and/or under arrest. Really. I do not understand why his cronies in elected office are also not under impeachment and/or under arrest. Every single one of them, and perhaps a few RINOs, have flagrantly violated their oaths of office, the most egregious of which is the oath of office of the President of the United States. They have committed treason in some instances, they have gotten innocent people killed, they have stolen private property. We have criminals running our government. Isn’t it about time we removed them permanently?

HomeoftheBrave on July 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM

The fable of small businesses started solely by individuals is pure deception, a deception perpetrated by small business owners alone. In truth, small businesses can only be started with a collection of magic coins, amulets, and tokens. These charms can only be gathered by a group of equals or collective but never by an individual.

But, one of the collective always gets greedy and wants them all for himself. This is always a male and nearly always of white skin. He is known as a risk taker. The risk taker, either by cajoling, mutilation, or outright theft, steals all the collective’s magic coins, amulets, and tokens until they have enough to bring forth a small business. The exact operation is not completely understood, it just sort of happens out of thin air. Later, the risk taker may “hire” a few from the former collective (now known as serfs) for a handful of parched corn or perhaps a place to sleep in front of the open pit fire in return for their tireless and unselfish labor.

However, the serfs are noble and many refuse to sell themselves so cheaply and instead rely upon the munificence of the “wise elders” in the faraway land of DC to provide for them by the righteous TAX thrown like thunderbolts at the evil small businesses. Someday, someday soon though, the serfs shall rise up and take back what was theirs previously and thus, end the small business ventures and restore true ownership of the magic coins, amulets, and tokens to the virtuous collectives.

/paraphrased from the dns’s 2012 election handbook…..

roy_batty on July 17, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Not surprisingly, God Jr. has never heard of intellectual property.

diogenes on July 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Just because you exploit capitalism as a lefty it doesn’t make you a capitalist. Not one of those dudes have taken it upon themselves to use the system now in place to GIVE their extra funds to the US government. Not one of those idiots appreciate the fact that they exploited conservative capitalism to make their dough.. they are more in line with communism than freedom… you see what they really want is to keep their money and make it so that you can never, ever, ever give them a run for their.. well money.

When you actually get the economy and that make it so that more sloths on the bottom don’t pay is .. going to keep that group growing- getting very closer to 50% that PAY NOTHING AT ALL or GET MONEY they don’t deserve and to make that group pay their SHARE we might actually get somewhere. When does that sloth group finally give back and realize that because they do NOTHING they give NOTHING they actually need to “give back” and start producing?

But then they and you would have to actually provide services and labor and that is what you lefties truly hope to do.

Noelie on July 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

A couple of thoughts:
When Bill Gates was developing Microsoft, his friends and neighbors used government roads, just like he did.

Why aren’t they billionaires also?

ObamaPresident 10-289: “If You’ve Been Successful, You Didn’t Get There On Your Own”

That is almost a direct quote from “Atlas Shrugged”.

Wait until Hollywood hears that the government is seizing intellectual property rights.

Directive 10-289
Point Three. All patents and copyrights, pertaining to any devices, inventions, formulas, processes and works of any nature whatsoever, shall be turned over to the nation as a patriotic emergency gift by means of Gift Certificates to be signed voluntarily by the owners of all such patents and copyrights. The Unification Board shall then license the use of such patents and copyrights to all applicants, equally and without discrimination, for the purpose of eliminating monopolistic practices, discarding obsolete products and making the best available to the whole nation. No trademarks, brand names or copyrighted titles shall be used. Every formerly patented product shall be known by a new name and sold by all manufacturers under the same name, such name to be selected by the Unification Board. All private trademarks and brand names are hereby abolished.

MichaelGabriel on July 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Does the constant need to lie not inform you that your philosophy is wrong?

Monkeytoe on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM

bayam lives in George Costanza-Land, in other words, a Land About Nothing.

“Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it.”

Del Dolemonte on July 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Saw a great cartoon earlier this morning. Not sure who was responsible for it.

It shows O’bama looking up as the Wright Brothers fly overhead in their 1903 Wright Flyer.

O’bama shouts up at them: “You didn’t build that!”

Del Dolemonte on July 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Jaibones on July 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yes, he is especially beholden to those who are complicit with him, in perpetrating the biggest hoax in our history, namely the massive cover-up of all information related to his birth, his schooling, his muslim faith, the phony Social Security numbers, Selective Service records, medical history, college records, and his patent ineligibility for the office he holds, you name it. Everything about this guy is phony, and / or concealed.

uncle_fweddy on July 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Obama: “You Are Nothing Without Government!!”

M2RB: Olive

Resist We Much on July 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

People who don’t get the controversy about this can’t get it because they agree with all the premises.

Enrepreneurs:

1. Are parasites who didn’t pay for the roads and bridges they use. Check.

2. Are arrogant, glory hogs who say, “I built this business all by myself, and not one single person helped me, because I think I’m the smartest, hardest working person on the planet.” Check.

3. Should be expropriated, horsewhipped, and then sent to the guillotine. Check.

So when they hear Obama or Warren ranting on this theme, to them it’s like hearing someone say, “and then you take 2 plus 2 and you get 4.” What’s the controversy?

The controversy is THIS IS AMERICA NOT VENEZUELA OR FRANCE!! And we don’t talk like that here.

smellthecoffee on July 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM