New Romney ad: “Whatever happened to Hope and Change?”

posted at 8:41 am on July 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Two new ads from Team Romney over the last 24 hours have the Republican nominee playing offense. First, a new TV spot uses clips from political journalists like CBS’ Bob Schieffer, Time’s Mark Halperin, and the New York Times’ David Brooks wondering where the “Hope and Change” went:

Both Schieffer and Halperin have complained about being included in the ad:

On “Face the Nation” this morning, Schieffer said he was “shocked” by the ad. “That was a question that I posed to David Axelrod — not a statement,” he said. “I have no affiliation with the Romney campaign. This was done without our permission.”

On Twitter, Halperin wrote, “To echo what NBC News’ Tom Brokaw said in January, when his image and voice were used in a Romney campaign TV ad: ‘I am extremely uncomfortable with the use of my personal image in this political ad. I do not want my role as a journalist compromised for political gain by any campaign.’”

Well, that comes with the territory, doesn’t it?  I’m not sure it actually will make much of an impression outside those already closely engaged in the political battle; most people who aren’t glued to their sets on Sunday mornings or don’t watch MSNBC will know who any of these men are anyway.  However, it’s certainly a fair use of their public statements, although Schieffer’s claim about context is also a fair point.

It won’t make much difference, because the Romney campaign has already shifted its line of attack to a new strategy — this one attacking Obama for using his office to pay off big donors.  Another new ad out today, this one a web ad, features Obama’s impromptu performance of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together,” while posting headlines from media outlets about Obama’s crony capitalism:

Expect to see more of this strategy as this week progresses.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…Someone Lied?

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM

@DRUDGE_REPORT

ROMNEY RIPS OBAMA ‘DISHONESTY’ http://drudge.tw/NCY3zY

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM

…the MSM concerned about being used in a campaign…Ha Ha!

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Tom Brokaw.

Thanks for the laughs Tom.

forest on July 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Schieffer is about worthless like Bernie Goldberg said 1 time he wouldn’t know his house burned down if he didn’t see it in the NY Times or Wash. Compost.

gsherin on July 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Web ads are pointless. If it’s a good attack, put it on TV. Otherwise, it’s just a waste of time.

gumbyandpokey on July 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Romney could easily have an ad of everyday AMERICANS asking “Whatever happened to hope and change?!” Black people. College students. There was no need to use these media turds who are going to moan about it.

Marcus on July 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

@DRUDGE_REPORT

ROMNEY RIPS OBAMA ‘DISHONESTY’ http://drudge.tw/NCY3zY

‘Dishonesty’ in scare quotes, of course.

Good Lt on July 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Pretty good ads by Team Romney. Looks like they’re bleeding the opposition of cash early.

workingclass artist on July 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

The “oh shiit” look on Schieffer’s face was awesome.

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

On Twitter, Halperin wrote, “To echo what NBC News’ Tom Brokaw said in January, when his image and voice were used in a Romney campaign TV ad: ‘I am extremely uncomfortable with the use of my personal image in this political ad. I do not want my role as a journalist compromised for political gain by any campaign.’”

$hit, that’s rich. What about you and Odopey packing each other’s fudge? Is that compromise?

msupertas on July 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Feeling A bit Breitbarted, eh, MSM ??
Quitcher bitchin’.
Whiners !!

pambi on July 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Too bad journos you have no problems voicing your distaste for mitt it’s ok for dear leader as well

cmsinaz on July 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM

gumbyandpokey on July 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Over 60% of Americans get their news on the web…not on TeeVee. It’s also an interesting way to test which ads are effective.

Save the TeeVee ads till convention time…imho

workingclass artist on July 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM

‘Dishonesty’ in scare quotes, of course.

Good Lt on July 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM

It was quoting the Politico headline. What else would you expect?

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Morning joe, lets talk about bain and tax returns

cmsinaz on July 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Damn! Those are two TOUGH ads! I LOVE the ad with Obama singing…to his donors! Ha! Backatcha, barack! That one should NOT be a web ad. Run it in swing states.

And piss off, Bob Schieffer, you worthless democrat party hack. And Halperin?? Your “role as a journalist” has always been compromised. Dead Fish Rahm says…QUIT WHINING!

Rational Thought on July 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM

” I do not want my role as a journalist compromised for political gain by any campaign.’”

Yeah, that Obama is kind of a Dick. Right, Mark?

Naturally Curly on July 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Just want to show obamas ad with mitt singing mika thinks this is awesome

cmsinaz on July 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM

The “oh shiit” look on Schieffer’s face was awesome.

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

*snicker*

workingclass artist on July 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Touche, Schieffer, you old gotcha “journalist,” selectively focusing in on the irrelevant in your own interviews while ignoring fundamental issues.

onlineanalyst on July 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Loved Romney’s answer to the “singing” ad.

Sekhmet on July 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Good ad with dear leader singing im sure we’ll hear whining about out of context

cmsinaz on July 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

…the MSM concerned about being used in a campaign…Ha Ha!

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Exactly. They’re perfectly happy to shill for the Democrats.

eyedoc on July 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

when you start being a journalist, your role shouldn’t be compromised. Until that time though, you are fair game.

dirtseller on July 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Expect to see more of this strategy as this week progresses.
posted at 8:41 am on July 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’ll enjoy that

workingclass artist on July 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM

O/T I know

Roseanne Barr lost the Green Party nomination. Stop the Insanity. All hope is lost. LOL

msupertas on July 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Schieffer and Brokaw were afraid their kneepads emblazoned with with Barky’s face might be seen by the public.

Bishop on July 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM

The new meme retired retroactively from the wh and the lsm

cmsinaz on July 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Romney just needs to use the,

“If you’ve got a business…you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.”

quote in an ad.

Dongemaharu on July 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

All y’all who were panicking last week need to chill. We are at most two weeks from the announcement of Romney’s running mate. There’s vetting, meetings with staff, figuring out who’s gonna be mad, bro for not being asked, and what you plan to do to make it up to him/her, get a set of preliminary campaign designs and bumper stickers ready, get preliminary ideas about the travel schedule for both candidates, figure out the how, when, and where of the announcement—-and that’s before you even ask the person to run with you. If Mister/Madame X has had that phone call, there’s even more of the same before it is even announced.

0bama knows this, and took the opportunity to steal a news cycle. It’s comforting to see Romney stealing it back, but I think the powder is staying dry for the running mate announcement.

Sekhmet on July 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Hey, was that ole’ Bob Schieffer Brains?
Stupid joke, I know.

tj4osu on July 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM

msupertas on July 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I didn’t know she was running…

Come to think of it…
I don’t think I have ever seen her run….
Come to think of it…
I am glad I haven’t..

Electrongod on July 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

the “america the beautiful” ad is really hitting its target.

sadly all the romney campaign is firing are duds.

btw whatever happened to “romney” supporter “joana”? seems to have disappeared after obamacare was passed(mission accomplished)

renalin on July 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Based on that web ad and Romney’s interview on Fox News this morning, it looks like Romney is going after Obama for giving taxpayer-funded loans and other taxpayer monies to large campaign contributors. THIS is the kind of war to wage: It shows barack as entirely corrupt, which he is, and which the voting public needs to understand. “Political payoffs and middle class layoffs.” Keep it up, Mitt!

Rational Thought on July 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Not to be cranky or anything but when is this purported GOP candidate going to tell us how he’s going to fix the problems, instead of what’s wrong with the other guy?

I’ll vote for him but this holding my nose while voting thingy is getting old fast.

platypus on July 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I hope he loses in a landslide. That’s my hope.

The Rogue Tomato on July 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

platypus on July 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

mika asked kevin madden this morning why mitt had no plans. he referred her to mitts 59 point plan. 59 platitudes piped in joe klein.

crickets from madden.

must still be waiting for that apology.

renalin on July 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM

gumbyandpokey on July 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Web ads are frequently broadcast on shows like O’Reilly and AC 360.

aunursa on July 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM

platypus on July 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Mitt Romney lays out his 5 steps to get the economy going

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I don’t like the idea about asking “Whatever happened to Hope and Change,” as though this were some kind of desirable 2008 campaign concept to begin with. Not in my book. We sure the hell got change – he delivered on that one. And he delivered on giving hope to all nonproducers in our society that the government will punish success.

That Romney ad also elevates the MSM talking heads to some kind of authority figures – which they are certainly not. When these featured people start to come out against Romney, which they already appear to be doing, it becomes that much more difficult for the Romney campaign to attack them.

Romney needs to instead focus his fire like a laser on what Obozo said over the weekend, that business owners did not build their own businesses, that somebody else made that happen. This is Obozo’s most overt display of Marxism yet and shows his lack of experience in building or owning any business whatsoever, thereby illustrating the starkest of differences between Obozo and Romney. That ad should be running 24/7 all the way to November.

OneVision on July 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Heh. I love their complaining about being featured in an ad. Translation: I’m for the other guy, and this isn’t helpful!

That said, I don’t think the ad is all that effective. Complaining about the negative ads of your opponent doesn’t really get you anywhere, though I suppose it is worth it to rub the One’s face in his hypocrisy.

I’d rather the web one be the TV spot.

changer1701 on July 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I hope he loses in a landslide. That’s my hope.

The Rogue Tomato on July 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

That would be nice…

PatriotRider on July 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Electrongod on July 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Heh, the only part of her that’s able to run is her mouth.

antipc on July 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM

The Hope & Change is still there. But now we know what Changes that Comrade Chairman Obama is Hopin’ to make —

- more class warfare,
- more socialism,
- less free enterprise,
- less capitalism,
- higher taxes on whoever he decides is “rich” and is not paying their “fair share”,
- more confiscation of wealth in the name of “social justice”,
- more government (more federal government rules and regulations, more unionized government employees, more government spending on “infrastructure”, etc),
- more wealth redistribution (more direct transfer programs, more block grants to state and local governments, more government “loans”, more government “services”, more government “programs”, etc.).

Once you realize he is a radical and a socialist it is easy to know what Changes he wants to make.

farsighted on July 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM

The web ad is better than the TV ad, and the web ad needs to be made for TV.

Meanwhile, the Blame Stream Media is all over claims about “outsourcing” of jobs to foreign countries. When is Romney going to start running ads about Obama spending tax dollars on jobs in Mexico (solar panels), Brazil (oil drilling), and Finland (“Fiscal” Karma electric cars)?

Steve Z on July 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I do not want my role as a journalist compromised compensated when providing for political gain by any campaign.

reality.

hillsoftx on July 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM

OneVision on July 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I’m actually certain that Team Mitt is presently constructing attacks on that statement, but when you consider the MOUNTAINS of fodder they have to search thru to make it MOST damaging /effective, it might just take some time, y’think ??

pambi on July 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I was called by Rasmussen yesterday morning, so there should be a Wisconsin poll coming today or tomorrow. All straight questions with no slant (and a ton of them). Presidential race, Senate race, VP candidates favorability, etc…

gumbyandpokey on July 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

“Political payoffs and middle class layoffs.”

Great line in that second add. Rolls off the tongue and sticks in your head.

Pope Linus on July 16, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Ads:

Out: The private sector is doing just fine.

In: If you’ve got a business…you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Immediately, if not sooner, please.

hillsoftx on July 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Changer, its to rub the hopey. Changey in his face all that crapola about changing things and hes the biggest status quo guy with his crony capitalism

cmsinaz on July 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM

So many ways to attack Obama…

albill on July 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM

If only Team Romney would do a singing ad with Obama actually singing his real theme song:

The Great Pretender Lyrics
The Platters

Oh-oh, yes I’m the great pretender
Pretending that I’m doing well
My need is such I pretend too much
I’m lonely but no one can tell

Oh-oh, yes I’m the great pretender
Adrift in a world of my own
I’ve played the game but to my real shame
You’ve left me to grieve all alone

Too real is this feeling of make-believe

Yes, I’m the great pretender
Just laughin’ and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I’m not, you see
I’m wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you’re still around
(Still around)

This Ode to the American Voter fits Obama even better than Fortunate Son fitted Al gore Jr.

meci on July 16, 2012 at 9:27 AM

In the same group of ads as the web ad Ed linked to, is another ad in Spanish made by Craig Romney, who apparently speaks very fluent Spanish. Romney might have a “secret weapon” in his son for reaching out to Hispanic voters…

Steve Z on July 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Using Schieffer and Brokaw:

1. Con – It ratifies MSM as truth speakers.

2. Pro – It’s a sure-fire way to change the MSM’s story line, (but it may lose its effectiveness after the first time).

After the last week or so, I’d go for #2. Offense at almost any cost.

petefrt on July 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Jennifer Rubin at the Washington Post says Obama’s blown $100 million:

“The extent of that effort is only now becoming clear. The Associated Press reports: “President Barack Obama’s campaign has spent nearly $100 million on television commercials in selected battleground states so far, unleashing a sustained early barrage designed to create lasting, negative impressions of Republican Mitt Romney before he and his allies ramp up for the fall.” Think of it like the Confederacy’s artillery barrage on the third day of Gettysburg before Pickett’s charge — you have to in essence disable the other side before the charge begins or its curtains.

Virtually all of the ads were viciously negative, and judging from the number of Pinocchios they’ve racked up, continually and materially false.”

The important part—Obama’s polling numbers have barely moved the needle in his favor. Out of money, out of ideas, and out of ammo. How many of Obama’s “troops”/ (other Democrats desperately attempting to cling to their jobs), will abandon the lines and run away from his failed negative campaign? How many will stand beside him with an empty gun? Stay tuned!

Rovin on July 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Steve Z on July 16, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Oh, THAT’s cool !!

pambi on July 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM

O/T I know

msupertas on July 16, 2012 at 8:59 AM

*heartache*

Guess it’s back to the farm for her

workingclass artist on July 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM

pambi on July 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

We’ll see what happens. There is so much more that Romney can do in order to go on the offensive than what he has been doing so far.

He has to date refrained from calling Obozo a Socialist. That needs to end. It is time from Romney to take the gloves off. Go after the Socialist teachings – just quote from Obozo’s autobiography.

Team Romney should attack Obozo’s lack of experience in the private sector, which strips him of all legitimacy to levy any attacks against Mitt’s business background. Go after his refusal to enforce immigration laws, which have allowed drug criminals to run rampant through our states, like Arizona. Go after the ever-escalating crime rate in Chicago, Obozo’s home town, and pin it to the Dems’ control of that city.

The jugular is there for the attacking. Team Romney needs to show the will to follow through and take no prisoners.

OneVision on July 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Steve Z on July 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Right. And since they brought up the ‘felon’ word, let’s take another look at the dealings between Øbama and Rezko in Chicago.

petefrt on July 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

…and my role was to not do any vetting on JugEars!

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Rovin on July 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

That’s very true…despite the barrage from Obama, Mitt’s hanging right in there. Also, we need to remember that it’s July…polls don’t start to become worrisome (at least to me) until after the conventions.

changer1701 on July 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Halperin thinks he’s a journalist? Who knew?

talkingpoints on July 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

petefrt on July 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM

…in his own hand…he wrote of his drug use…oh wait!…another set of laws that don’t apply……………….if your ears are bigger than saucers?

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I suspect that Schieffer, Halperin and Brokaw would not be so “uncomfortable” if their clips were used in an 0bama campaign spot.

Now that made me laugh. I guess he’d rather openly shill for 0bama than have his image and voice used without permission?

UltimateBob on July 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Aw, the conundrum a poor JournoLister. If you honestly report something, and evil Republican might quote you. If you prop up your poor clusterfluke of a loser, you’re not an honest journalist.

I feel for you all.

MNHawk on July 16, 2012 at 9:52 AM

msupertas on July 16, 2012 at 8:50 AM

..love it! Like Resist We Much‘s funny line about Lucky Pierre.

The War Planner on July 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I think we need to continuously run a variation of two or three ads against Obama showing his utter failed record as a President… Highest continuous unemployment rate in 60 years, lowest GDP growth in 60 years, added more than 5 trillions dollars in debt more than any other President in history, and three years of the largest deficit ever… Do you want four more years of this? asks the announcer of the ad… Then the ad should end by the announcer saying “Socialism does not work, Socialism has never worked, and Socialism would never work”…

mnjg on July 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM

That too. Let it all hang out.

Trump was right on the money on F&F this morning. Øbama plans to win this one with street-fighting. Team Romney has to take the gloves off, and do it fast. If they can’t out street-fight Øbama, then Romney needs to find people who can. He needs troops to do the street-fighting while he focuses on the economy/jobs and Øbama’s record.

petefrt on July 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I’m reminded of that clip Rush plays occasionally when two ‘journalists’ discuss the O’s INTELLIGENCE / IQ, before he was elected.
Paraphrased: Just who IS this BO ?? What is his IQ ?? Well, it must be sky-high ! Etc.
Wish I could pin-point who that was … Totally laughable.

pambi on July 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM

the “america the beautiful” ad is really hitting its target.

sadly all the romney campaign is firing are duds.

renalin on July 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Enlighten us please how the ad is hitting its target?

mnjg on July 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

The American electorate in 2008 showed it is willing to elect a president based on this campaign strategy. In fact, it accepted a campaign strategy of Obama running against someone who was not even eligible (based on the Constitition) for serving as President (again). For the time being, I am OK with Romney pointing out Obama’s incompetence. When the debates are held and the media has less of a chance to filter what is front and center on the TV screen then Romney (I hope) can offer his solutions to the nation’s problems. As an aside, why offer any solutions when the Democrats only paint it as pushing people over the cliff in a wheel chair or some such other baseless hyperbole. Romney doesn’t need to convince most of us here to vote for him. He needs to convince the squishy middle who are politely called “independents”. Most people who I know who call themselves independents have ADD when it comes to educating themselves on policy issues.

DaveDief on July 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I would like to see some ads to counteract the innuendo by the Obama campaign.

Since a lot of folks know about Chicago politics being synonymous with corruption the ads would run like this;

Do we know what kind of politician Barack Obama is, let’s ask his friends.

First ad

His next door neighbor, Tony Rezko a convicted felon.

Second ad

John Corzine, who without authorization moved money from private accounts at SMF Global to cover his own failures.

Third ad

George Soros, who was found guilty of insider trading, nearly bankrupted the Bank of England through currency manipulation. Who is also wanted in a small Asian country for currency problems.

Fourth and my favorite ad.

Bill Ayers, a self admitted domestic terrorist. This would be accompanied by a picture of Bill standing on an American flag in a back alley.

With friends of Obama like these, who needs enemies

banzaibob on July 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM

These two journalists, complaining…

They are not proud to ask the right questions and to get noteworthy answers?

They are not happy to expose truths?

Sometimes I miss the old Meet the Press with Tim Russert. He was proud to ask the questions.

I have never seen a journalist from either side lob softballs to Romney, not ever, so we don’t know what it’s like.

Fleuries on July 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Too bad the Washington Post didn’t raise a stink about Obama using its headlines in his false “outsourcing” ads that he spent $50 million on Pretty much proves that it is in cahoots with the Obama campaign.

rockmom on July 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM

We were in South Dakota last week in Sioux City which borders both Iowa and Nebraska. Obama commercials attacking Romney with the “Bain blame” played non-stop.

Mitt needs to come out hard and fast with an explanation about the difference between private business where you do what you legally can to get a return on capital versus government where the task is to provide collective services to “We the People”. Then show BHO attacking the tea party, fox news, bitter clingers to guns and Bibles, Wall Street, etc. ending with how BHO cronies got 80% of the Stimulus, failed “green” projects, investing in GM, union cronies and thugs being supported, support for Occupy idiots etc.

katablog.com on July 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM

gosh I’d be concerned about this but we are still trying to figure out which buildings in iraq will kill us if we touch the water after we sold out all the military contracts to Haliburton. Please this is like the lamest story known to man, we jump for joy what corporations can give unlimited money to campaigns in the US and then we complain that it bought influence.. well no S**T sherlock!

Zekecorlain on July 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM

The “oh shiit” look on Schieffer’s face was awesome.

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Imagine the high-fives Schieffer-brains would be getting in the office if it was the other way around, if he had stuck his dagger into Governor Romney. He’d be the toast of Manhattan.

slickwillie2001 on July 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Someone used the media’s own words…against them?!?
I’m shocked, SHOCKED!

If *that’s the schtick they want to play, they can jump on Obama for using Romney’s singing of “America the Beautiful”

*crickets* in 3…2…1…

Czar of Defenestration on July 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM

The one with Schiffer is fine. His public statements are fair game. I wish the “approval” line had been placed up front.

The second ad didn’t do anything for me.

The one I’ve seen on TV recently and liked a lot is one sponsored by the GOP. It’s focus is less negative, saying that Barry “tried” to fix the problems but failed.

Yes, he’s a liar. Most who hang out here much are well aware of that. But the folks who haven’t paid as much attention will be put off by such overt negativity, especially if that’s all there is.

The GOP spot doesn’t come off nearly as negative — it actually struck me as somewhat neutral, and I was very surprised to see the party as the sponsor at the end.

Give the guy his due: He did the best he could; he just wasn’t good enough.

EconomicNeocon on July 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM

pambi on July 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM

This is probably what you were referring to.

OneVision on July 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I hope Team Romney hits hard over and over again. I’d love to see an ad that addresses O’s vanity and how he treats the election as though he was running for class president. How he cares more for getting elected than about the people.

And how’s about one addressing what damage this president unfettered by having to run for re-election can do. (Tell Vladmir to be patient until after the election.)

And why throwing tomatoes at Hillary is a good reflection on this administration

COgirl on July 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Your liberal bias did that a long, long time ago.

chemman on July 16, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Can’t wait for the debates!

Wait…”Mitt, where were you in 1999 when you were supposed to be running the Olympics?”

And then…”Barack ol’ buddy, what was your final golf handicap after 4 years in the White House?”

kirkill on July 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM

HOUSEHOLD DATA
HISTORICAL
A-1. Employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years and over, 1977 to date[Numbers in thousands]

From 2008 to June 2012, the population as a whole grew by 9.4 Million people, but the number of employed DROPPED by 2.9 Million people.

The average Employment-Population Ratio over the course of the entire George W. Bush presidency was 62.7%.

If we had the same Employment-Population Ratio now as we had as an average over the 96 months of the George W. Bush presidency, there would literally be over 10 Million more people employed.

Over 10 Million jobs are missing from the Obama economy.

Bush-era average Employment-Population Ratio: 62.7%
Current population: 243,155,000
Number that should be employed if we had Bush-era employment: 62.7% * 243,155,000 = 152,458,000

What was the actual number of people employed in June 2012?
142,415,000

What’s the Obama jobs deficit?
10,043,000 jobs

Over 10 Million jobs!

ITguy on July 16, 2012 at 11:01 AM

More please.

Tim_CA on July 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

…the MSM concerned about being used in a campaign…Ha Ha!

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Absolutely the most Hilarious line in the piece.

Tim_CA on July 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Odd. I don’t remember any networks complaining when Ron Paul using their talent in what is a far more brutal ad

BTW, Team Romney, you want blood? Hire Ron Paul’s ad team.

JohnGalt23 on July 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

BTW, Team Romney, you want blood? Hire Ron Paul’s ad team.

JohnGalt23 on July 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM

You are correct. That is one hell of an ad.

VegasRick on July 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Sure buddy sure.

gumbyandpokey on July 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I know the web is like so yesterday./
Do you realize TV watching is plummeting?
Do you ever go to youtube?

CW on July 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

If you asked Axelrod the question does that mean you know where the Hope and Change is at thereby making it a stupid inquiry?

Herb on July 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Good one.

Bobbertsan on July 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Uh, I guess I’m confused.

How did that Pickett’s charge thing work out for everyone again?

And Meade had the high ground as did the North during most of the three days of fighting.

Gettysburg finished the Confederacy. Why Lee didn’t cut his losses and run after the first day will forever be a mystery.

And, she compares the Obama campaign to the Confederates?

What an idiot. On several levels.

Tenwheeler on July 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Uh, I guess I’m confused.

You are not alone. The Confederacy’s artillery barrage before Pickett’s charge was ineffective. They shot too far, over the heads of the Union line and even over the Union artillery behind the line. It didn’t disable anyone or anything. The failure of the Confederate artillery barrage was one of the reasons for the failure of the charge.

And, she compares the Obama campaign to the Confederates?

Forget it. She’s rolling.

What an idiot. On several levels.

Tenwheeler on July 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

This is on par with John Belushi’s character talking about how it wasn’t over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

That error was deliberate, obvious, and meant to be funny. This one is meant to be serious and is due to ignorance.

It’s pathetic when people who have no idea what they are talking about try to use military analogies.

Unfortunately they usually get away with it because few know they have no idea what they are talking about. What’s worse, in the process they spread misinformation and promulgate ignorance.

farsighted on July 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I reread Rubin’s column trying, this time giving the benefit of the doubt and trying to make another effort to make sens of the Gettysburg analogy after my harsh assessment. I still don’t get it.

farsighted on July 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

They did the barrage – and it missed its mark – and then they got wiped out. The idea is that like the confederacy’s failed shelling, Obama too has missed the mark, based upon polling numbers.

Zomcon JEM on July 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Scheiffer’s upset for the same reason a basketball player would be upset if they accidently swished a jump shot through the opposing team’s hoop…….”hey, no fair, I’m playing for the other team”.

ardenenoch on July 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM