Conservatives hit magic number to sink Law of the Sea Treaty

posted at 3:21 pm on July 16, 2012 by Rob Bluey

This was supposed to be the year the U.S. Senate finally ratified the age-old Law of the Sea Treaty. That was apparently enough motivation for conservatives to rally the grassroots and sink the treaty once again.

Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) announced that he had secured commitments from 34 senators to oppose LOST, ensuring it would not be ratified by the Senate this year. Because it requires 67 votes for the Senate to approve treaties, only 34 votes are needed block them.

The 34 senators include:

1. Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ)
  2. Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
  3. Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO)
  4. Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS)
  5. Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)
  6. Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI)
  7. Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX)
  8. Sen. Jim Demint (R-SC)
  9. Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK)
  10. Sen. John Boozman (R-AR)
  11. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
  12. Sen. Jim Risch (R-ID)
  13. Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT)
  14. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
  15. Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID)
  16. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
  17. Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY)
  18. Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL)
  19. Sen. John Thune (R-SD)
  20. Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC)
  21. Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
  22. Sen. Dan Coats (R-IN)
  23. Sen. John Hoeven (R-ND)
  24. Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS)
  25. Sen. Mark Rubio (R-FL)
  26. Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS)
  27. Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV)
  28. Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA)
  29. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
  30. Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
  31. Sen. Mike Johanns (R-NE)
  32. Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA)
  33. Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH)
  34. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)

The treaty offered little upside for the United States in the view of  many conservatives. Yet it would have instituted a new, international legal regime and further eroded American sovereignty.

DeMint spearheaded a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to outline the opposition. It was signed by 31 of the 34 senators. Isakson announced his opposition independently and Portman and Ayotte wrote a separate letter. Here’s the full text of the DeMint letter:

We understand that Chairman Kerry has renewed his efforts to pursue Senate ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.  We are writing to let you know that we believe this Convention reflects political, economic, and ideological assumptions which are inconsistent with American values and sovereignty.

By its current terms, the Law of the Sea Convention encompasses economic and technology interests in the deep sea, redistribution of wealth from developed to undeveloped nations, freedom of navigation in the deep sea and exclusive economic zones which may impact maritime security, and environmental regulation over virtually all sources of pollution.

To effect the treaty’s broad regime of governance, we are particularly concerned that United States sovereignty could be subjugated in many areas to a supranational government that is chartered by the United Nations under the 1982 Convention.  Further, we are troubled that compulsory dispute resolution could pertain to public and private activities including law enforcement, maritime security, business operations, and nonmilitary activities performed aboard military vessels.

If this treaty comes to the floor, we will oppose its ratification.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wonderful news! Good for Demint. It should be 100 Senators against. Stop relinquishing our sovereignty.

Magnum on July 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Only 34?! How did we end up with 66 treasonously inclined Senators?! And who are the mealy mouthed Republicans who were too spineless or traitorous to reject Demint’s lobbying? It is disgusting and appalling beyond belief that ANYONE (yes, I know that today’s democrats are universally traitorous) would support this treaty. Every blasted one of them should be tarred and feathered.

SteveThomas on July 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Oh no, Reid and his bunch are at it again.

acyl72 on July 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM

SteveThomas on July 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Sen. Imhofe on c-span 2 is speaking on this Sea treaty now. Said there are now 35 members now. Didn’t say which one signed on.

On another note, the Cloture Vote on the Disclosure Act failed. Don’t know if there was a Roll Call Vote requested or not.

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

THANK YOU SEN.DEMINT, et al!Now to hunt down and expose the pro votes.

SMACKRUNNER on July 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I’m reading a book called “The Fearful Master,” by G. Edward Griffin, which I also just discovered online at this link.

The copyright is 1964, however as I read through the first few chapters, it’s clear that the United Nations and Communism is one and the same. “… A person [my paraphrase] must have sufficient loyalty to the United Nations that he is willing to place it well above any loyalty to his own native land.”

So naturally, anything that comes from the U.N. in the form of some treaty or some resolution should immediately be suspect and defeated, as should the treasonous representatives and other government officials within this country who support it. Trust nothing that comes from the U.N., even if, and especially if, it has a candy coating.

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Where in the tee total hell is Lindsey Graham’s signature? Damn, I’m sick of this RINO. He reps my state, and I’m just pissed . . .he can’t even support the conservs on this?

Conservchik on July 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Amen to that. Talk about a stacked deck. The only thing the U.N. is United about is against the U.S. Well and Israel and any allies we have left.

Interesting isn’t it that many old books and Christian writers sound like they are still alive and commenting on today’s news?

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Conservchik on July 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I’ve heard that he is in a Democratic district and must keep them happy in order to keep being re-elected. I can’t say that since I don’t live there but you may know. If he didn’t oppose this, then he may not be up for re-election this year.

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Senators represent the entire state. You’re thinking of a Representative. Graham is a stinking’ RINO and needs to be kicked to the curb in 2014.

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM

While I think this may be sarcasam, just in case I would note that Lugar is a hard core Globalist and was one of the earliest, staunchist LOST supporters.

tommyboy on July 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Yeah, Lugar is a worthless bastard. Has been for years. I can only assume Lugar was better than Vance Hartke, the democrat incumbent whom he beat in 1976. That’s not saying much.

jaime on July 16, 2012 at 8:00 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM

You can say that again. As I was reading, I kept having to remind myself that the book was written in 1964.

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM

conservative pilgrim on July 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Thanks. Perhaps I didn’t say it right:-) I can’t recall where I heard that but just remember that if it wasn’t for the Democrats voting for him, he wouldn’t be re-elected. I know he votes with the Dems most of the time. There must be some reason the Republicans don’t vote him out.

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I know!! A few years ago I started listening to a Christian radio program and the teacher was great. For some time, I thot he was talking about today’s political/Church scene. To my amazement, I found out later that the programs were all tape recorded and he had passed away in 1988!!! And even today, you would think he was alive if you heard his program. Amazing!!

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

What’s the name of the radio show? Sounds very worthwhile.

Guess it just proves that there’s nothing new under the sun, but it does show that knowing history is more important than ever, inasmuch as it keeps getting recycled under different names.

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Is there no way to give LOST a permanent deep six status?

E-R

Sen. Jim Demint (R-SC)
Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK)
Sen. John Boozman (R-AR)
Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
Sen. Jim Risch (R-ID)
Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT)
Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
Sen. Mike Crapo (R-ID)
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY)
Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL)
Sen. John Thune (R-SD)
Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC)
Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
Sen. Dan Coats (R-IN)
Sen. John Hoeven (R-ND)
Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS)
Sen. Mark Rubio (R-FL)
Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS)
Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV)
Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA)
Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
Sen. Mike Johanns (R-NE)
Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA)
Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH)
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)

Lisa Murkowski
John McCain
Richard Lugar
Mark Kirk (He still may be out)
Olympia Snowe
Susan Collins
Scott Brown
Lindsey Graham
Lamar Alexander
Bob Corker
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Mike Enzi

I’m missing a name if anyone recognises who it is.

Resist We Much on July 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Yay.

98ZJUSMC on July 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

These are the 13 Republican Senators that did NOT sign the letter:

Thad Cochran
Lisa Murkowski
John McCain
Richard Lugar
Mark Kirk (He still may be out)
Olympia Snowe
Susan Collins
Scott Brown
Lindsey Graham
Lamar Alexander
Bob Corker
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Mike Enzi

Resist We Much on July 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Obama will just decree that the LOST is law and be done with this trivial distraction.

jukin3 on July 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM

2014, Lindsey Graham. 2014.

SouthernGent on July 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

2014, Lindsey Graham. 2014.

SouthernGent on July 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

We can do this:-)

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I’m happy to see my Senator’s name on that list (well, one of them — the other Dem Senator from my state better watch out). I wrote to *both* of them & told them that LOST was ratified by the Senate I was not only going to hold those who voted for it responsible, I was going to hold the 2 of them responsible for *not* stopping it regardless of how they voted because I was well aware how the “I scratch my back you scratch mine” system works & that there were plenty of Senators who cut deals with “my people are against it, so I can’t vote for it, your people don’t care so you vote for it & I’ll vote for the bill your people don’t like so you don’t have to” scam. IOW, if it passed with them voting against it, I was going to assume they cut a deal like that instead of stopping it.

Like I said, the Dem Senator from my state better enjoy the perks of office while he can because 2014 I’m doing all in my power to get him out.

Dark Star on July 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

What’s the name of the radio show? Sounds very worthwhile.

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

The following site is a 24/7 Christian station that is entirely listener supported; no commercials. No program is charged for their airtime. http://www.bbnradio.org/WCM4/Default.aspx?alias=www.bbnradio.org/wcm4/english

The teacher I listen to is Dr. J. Vernon McGee and his site is:

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM

@ PatriotGal2257

The archived programs are at this site:

Right now he’s teaching on Acts. I missed a couple of programs and have used the archives to catch up:-)

The BBN station have beautiful music too in between programs.

Hope you find the sites to your liking.

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

These are the 13 Republican Senators that did NOT sign the letter:Resist We Much on July 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Thank you. I plan on contacting them and ask why they didn’t sign the letter. After I contact those that did to thank them.

(Will try to do the same regarding the Disclose Act that the cloture vote failed)

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM

This thing’s been kicking around for thirty years so I guess I can’t blame Obama for this one.

I’m a little confused about the history of it. The US is listed among a small group of countries that have signed, but not ratified the treaty. So who exactly was it that signed on behalf of the US? The Wikipedia entry isn’t clear on this.

Tomolena1 on July 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

THANK GOD!

easyt65 on July 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

OT, but … Mitt’s YouTube ad has been pulled.

pambi on July 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Nothing surprises me about Google owned Youtube. Some of the comments on the DailyCaller seemed to think that software scanned for copyright material. But I don’t believe that. Mitt’s campaign need to get permission to use copyrighted material and then they won’t have anything to say. Or hire a singer/writer:-)

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Great! Thanks, I’ll check them out. I listen to Internet radio while I’m at work, so these should be right up my alley.

Thanks again!

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Good, now they need to reject the small arms treaty with not just a NO but with a HELL NO.

Beastdogs on July 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Tomolena1 on July 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I am not versed in this, but here is a link that appears to have a good background on it:

Hope that gives you a start.

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Paging Senator John McCain (AZ)…..Senator McCain….why oh why are you MIA on this important vote????? How is it possible that our party’s 2008 candidate is showing 0 leadership here??

azconservativegirl on July 16, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Light up the phone lines folks. These spineless wankers don’t concern themselves with comment boards. Make them feel the heat.

SteveThomas on July 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Dark Star on July 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I think we all better start watching closer and do the same. These House and Senate members that are against the American people and the Constitution need to be replaced ASAP.

Yes, I saw the game playing you speak of when the various votes for Obamacare; i.e, the “blue dogs.” Pelosi’s pets were a more apt description. They voted like musical chairs:-)

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 10:29 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Thanks again!
PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

You are very welcome. That’s nice that you can listen to radio at work!! After listening to McGee, I wondered how one person could learn so much in one lifetime about the Bible. One of the best teachers in my opinion.

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Thank Goodness. The left (aka UN) has been trying to get this passed for years. Let’s hope O can’t do another “exec order” and override it. Man, we’ve GOT to win this November.

MN J on July 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Beastdogs on July 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I’ve heard of this, but don’t have all of the details yet. I plan on being somewhat active again on expressing my opinion to the Congress critters so any info would be helpful if you have it.

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Lindsay Graham (mccain’s mini-me)

TeaPartyNation on July 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Uh no:

Lindsay Graham, the standard of RINO-ness.

Axeman on July 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Call them. Multiple times a day. Give them different names and numbers if you must. They never call back anyway, and as long as you give them a zip code in their state they will mke a note of your comment. You can bet that leftie interests are paying people to do the same thing (that’s the difference between liberal and Conservtive activists; the liberals are often paid). Call their Washington office(s) as well as their local offices. Let them know that their jobs are at stake, and that you expect them to do the job they promised to when they ran for election (or re-election). Every one of these self important twits swore to uphold, defend and protect the Constitution. Let them know in no uncertain terms that you intend to hold them to it. And I know how difficult it is to keep from screaming at their office message takers, but they’ll pay more attention if you’re civil.

SteveThomas on July 16, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Wow. Amazingly close to passing. That in itself is a travesty. I never thought I would see the day the united states is so close to go over to full fledged communism.

Are people even paying attention?!!

KMC1 on July 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM

A hyperventilating Just-Us John Benedict-Roberts called the White House and excitedly asked Zero: “Let me try Boss?… you know how I like rewriting then force-feeding the peons repackaged legislation.”

viking01 on July 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM

bluefox on July 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Thanks again! Actually, I have headphones. :) So do a lot of my co-workers; they are pretty laid back and wouldn’t give me grief over what I choose to listen to. Not that I’d pay any attention if they did. LOL

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Are people even paying attention?!!

KMC1 on July 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Incidentally, The Founders screwed up on two counts:

-They didn’t foresee the sheer number of morons that would one day occupy and vote in the Republic.
-They didn’t foresee an immensely powerful MSM that was bent on destroying everything that the Founders developed.

justltl on July 16, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I remember how the left hated Jesse Helms; the real reason is not because of any so-called racism, but because he got things done and turned a tin ear to the anger spewed at him.

DeMint performed in such a manner; he ignored the bantering, the positioning, and did something good for America. Well done sir. If I were in your state you’d have my vote.

itsspideyman on July 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

These are the 13 Republican Senators that did NOT sign the letter:

Thad Cochran
Lisa Murkowski
John McCain
Richard Lugar
Mark Kirk (He still may be out)
Olympia Snowe
Susan Collins
Scott Brown
Lindsey Graham
Lamar Alexander
Bob Corker
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Mike Enzi

Resist We Much on July 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Where was Mitt on the issue? Isn’t he the titular leader of the GOP today?

DannoJyd on July 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Elections matter! If we lose in November (Pres and congress), this is what we have to look forward to — UN control of our sovereignty. The libs can’t wait to make this happen.

Christian Conservative on July 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

LOST lost.

bayview on July 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Christian Conservative on July 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

With the WillardBots deciding enmasse to sit out this election again we are certain to lose the White House. With the GOP working to defeat the TEA Partys we may not take back the Senate.

In the end it will be the amount of people getting involved that will decide these elections… like always!

DannoJyd on July 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM

SWalker on July 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM

So a pro-forma is actually a “session” of the Senate.

You should read more.

Lost in Jersey on July 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM

But then, what would he do with all that condescension?

Solaratov on July 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Yes sir… good man, that Sen DeMint. Good man indeed!

JohnGalt23 on July 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I hope DeMint is majority chairman someday soon. Although, McConnell is doing a better job than Boehner.

HellCat on July 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Hey, look! Orrin Hatch is a conservatave again. That won’t last long.

Mr. Grump on July 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Aside from the fact that it is internationalist garbage it is hard to see why even Dems would be in favor of this treaty.

CorporatePiggy on July 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I can’t believe McCain was re-elected. Thanks AZ.

Mr. Arrogant on July 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Beastdogs on July 16, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I think I might act like it was going to pass and plan accordingly.

roy_batty on July 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Geez! There are 47 Republican Senators and the best they can do is come up with 34 to oppose this abrogation of the sovereignty of the USA.

paulus1 on July 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM