Bad news: The Obama bridal registry not as popular as you’d imagine

posted at 11:21 am on July 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s summer, so we’re right in the middle of wedding season, where brides schedule their big day when the weather will be most likely to cooperate.  There is so much to do — planning the food, the reception venue, how to keep fueding relations separated by the seating chart — that a whole industry has evolved to take some of the burden off of the happy harried couple.  A traditional industry helps to manage gifts; brides register at a particular outlet (or more than one these days) and compile a list of items that they want, in order to keep from having to answer the same question on 200 phone calls, and to keep from getting five toaster ovens.  (That’s a true story from my wedding, by the way, because our choice for bridal registry kept forgetting to take items off the list.)

Imagine, then, how happy brides must have been to have found yet another option to increase their convenience!  A month ago, the Barack Obama campaign offered to make it even easier for those heading to the altar by, er, just taking their gifts away from them:

Oddly, the New York Post reports today that brides and grooms haven’t exactly rushed to take advantage of this option:

President Obama’s bizarre marriage-theme fund-raising scheme — where he asks couples to request campaign donations from their guests in lieu of wedding gifts — has been a total flop.

The desperate initiative, dubbed “the Event Registry,” is being mocked by event planners and couples — and shows how desperate the Obama campaign is to keep up with GOP contender Mitt Romney’s fund-raising. …

So far, “the Event Registry” has been all but ignored on social-media sites — even though Facebook, Twitter and other networks have been a strong suit for the Obama campaign.

“The number of links and stories about the announcement is very low since the news went live on June 22,” said Meredith Klee, a spokeswoman for the social-media tracking firm Topsy.

Her site’s latest data show 1,137 posts on Twitter about the registry.

And only a few hundred links to the registry have been shared on Facebook — even though Obama has more than 27 million fans on the site, according to Topsy.

What a shock.  Who knew that young couples just starting out in life might really prefer to get gifts that help them put together a new household?  And who knew that most people getting married, regardless of age, want their special day to focus on their new relationship rather than act as a fundraiser for a politician?

It’s too bad that the campaign’s flop took place this late in the year.  They could have tried out grad-party donations, where high school and college students ask Grandma and Grandpa to drop $50 into Team Obama’s pockets rather than their own.  I’d bet that would be every bit as successful as the Obama Bridal Registry, especially considering the jobs prospects for these young men and women in the Obama economy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

No. It’s doing exactly as well as I would have imagined.

JohnGalt23 on July 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

And for a mere $3.00 campaign contribution he’ll take prima nocta too.

Akzed on July 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

If the Obama Event Registry fails to raise enough money, Family-Man-in-Chief will issue an Executive Order, by which all engaged couples planning to marry before November 6, 2012 shall pay a $100 Marriage Fee/Penalty/Tax to Obama for America, whose consitutionality shall be guaranteed by Chief Justice John Roberts.

Steve Z on July 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Whoa! You mean my wedding isn’t about Obama???

“Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.

- Princess Diana, 20 November 1995

Resist We Much on July 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM

White folks getting married are racists.

Think what this man has done to this country in just 3 1/2 years.

Food stamp use exploding, Black Unemployment on the rise and over 14%, Budget deficits off the charts, mandates to wretch hold of every part of our lives (family farms, Big Gulps, fracking, you name it). And he and the Mooch Mama have tasteless and crassness like I’ve never seen. They are just a complete embarassment to this nation.

God help us, send President Plague on America back to Chicago.

PappyD61 on July 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Bad news: The Obama bridal registry not as popular as you’d imagine

…he needs a funeral registry.

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

what next, jus primae noctis ?

or would Michelle hit him with a frying pan for that?

Depends on whether he’s screwing the bride or the groom or both.

A considerable number of feudal rights were related to the vassal’s marriage, particularly the lord’s right to select a bride for his vassal, but these were almost invariably redeemed by a money payment, or “avail”; and it seems likely that the droit du seigneur amounted, in effect, only to another tax of this sort.

Wallythedog on July 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Young people take note:

Democrats “inherited” the economy when they took majority control of the House of Representatives and Senate on January 3, 2007.

The last month that Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and Presidency was December 2006.

In December 2006, the Employment-Population Ratio was 63.4%

If we still had that same Employment-Population Ratio today, over 11.7 Million more people would be employed.

Employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years and over

Current (June 2012) civilian noninstitutional population aged 16 years and over: 243,155,000
243,155,000 * 63.4% = 154,160,000 jobs
Actual employment: 142,415,000
Difference: 11,745,000 jobs

Got that? Over 11.7 Million jobs are missing from the Democrat economy.

Even if we use the average Employment-Population Ratio from the entire 96 months of the George W. Bush Presidency (62.7%), there are over 10 Million jobs missing from the Democrat economy.

Do you want HOPE?
Do you want CHANGE?

Then vote Republican this November.

Put the party that gave you higher employment back in control of the House, Senate, and Presidency, and watch the Employment-Population Ratio start going back up again.

ITguy on July 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

For a few hundred more, Biden will giver her a social disease.

coldwarrior on July 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

You owe me a new monitor.

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’d guess that the bigger problem would be that a large percentage of his voting base is not married and has no plans to be — you will not often hear a conservative utter a statement like “we don’t need a piece of paper to tell us we’re in love,” but you’ll hear it out of “progressives” with depressing regularity.

sockpuppetpolitic on July 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

what next, jus primae noctis ?

or would Michelle hit him with a frying pan for that?

Wallythedog on July 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Depends on whether he’s screwing the bride or the groom or both.

kbTexan on July 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Well, he’s already screwed everybody for free.

On a realted front, how far are we from the current POTUS pimping his FLOTUS for campaign cash?

apostic on July 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I’m sure some how Mrs. Crazy Legs and I not putting our baby registry for our adoption on the Obama event registry is somehow RAAAAAAAAACIST.

crazy_legs on July 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Just realized my thought was similar to this post yesterday: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/07/15/marriage-is-good-for-society-and-the-gop/

sockpuppetpolitic on July 16, 2012 at 12:10 PM

And not a single person has donated to my registry page!

ex_machina on July 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

The Obama bridal registry not as popular as you’d imagine

I’d imagined zero.   My bad.   There are really stupid people out there.

TerryW on July 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I’ve got something to send Obumbles…..I pick it up everyday whilst walking the dog.

Tim_CA on July 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM

What, Obama doesn’t like candlesticks?

Khun Joe on July 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Wow, you would think he would at least pick up an extra blender or two.

Bmore on July 16, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I have a couple of old fry pans too…

PatriotRider on July 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I think I’ll donate my old lawnmower to the Registry…

PatriotRider on July 16, 2012 at 11:32 AM

He can have the juicer we got for our wedding, it’s still in the original box, unopened and covered with dust up in the attic.

Bishop on July 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

All RIGHT

timmytee on July 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

For an extra $50 Biden will give your daughter a drunken toast.

“This is a big f*cking deal!”

LetsBfrank on July 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Better to give now while its voluntary …. because, later on, it won’t be.

/subliminals.

ted c on July 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Whoops – hit the send before giving you your instructions.

Load the car trunks, vans, little trailers are good – the address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Use entrance to South Lawn where Moochelle with her staff of 50 make-up artists and fashion advisors will have tables and blankets ready to spread out your “stuff”.

Secret Service will direct you to the left for kitchen items, straight ahead for used clothing and to the right for old furniture.

We can make this the Flea Market to remember! Let’s DO it!!!

timmytee on July 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

For an extra $50 Biden will give your daughter a drunken toast.

Probably goose your daughter, too.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The Obama bridal registry not as popular as you’d imagine

It’s the economy, stupid. Young couples across the land know they need every blender, every toaster, every last dime for the future.

LetsBfrank on July 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Impress the White House team. Send food stamps to make sure they use the money in the right way. DON’T send beer or lottery tickets!

Stefan

stefanslaw on July 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I can’t think of anything Obama has done which has more starkly exposed him as a totally self-absorbed Narcissist who thinks that he should be uppermost in upperyeastside’s everyone’s mind…even on the most important day in a young couples’ life.

The attempted hijacking of wedding gifts has got to be a historical new and shameful low in political fund raising.

landlines on July 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Had to

koaiko on July 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM

well, if they had launched it during a month that actually had a lot of weddings like June then they may have had more success……oh wait.

ted c on July 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Can couples expect an appearance by Rev Jeremiah Wright who can give the “nanana not God Bless America….” benediction and blessing to the newlyweds if their guests give donations in lieu of gifts?

/questions.

ted c on July 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Bad news: The Obama bridal registry not as popular as you’d imagine

Why are Americans these days so unpatriotic and racist? ;-(

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

For a few hundred more, Biden will give her a social disease.

coldwarrior on July 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

How insensitive of you! The syphilis that has turned Joe’s brain into swiss cheese is a serious problem.

slickwillie2001 on July 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

If someone donated a tanto for Obama to commit seppuku with AFTER the election, would that as creepy as this registry?

WhatNot on July 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Next campaign “Bong hits with Obambi”

VegasRick on July 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

AWWW. Barney and friends didn’t chip in either. What a skunk.

elm on July 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Say, the better half just informed me we got two of the poached egg ? devices. They are 28 years old now. They might bring something. Never used, still in the original packaging. Maybe Mitt can use them if 0 doesn’t want them.

Bmore on July 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Lol. I’m sure someone’s already said this–I apologize if so, been stuck at the Palin thread.

I’ve never been married, but if my bride-to-be suggested such a thing, I’d immediately remember a promise I had made to join the Peace Corp.

Secondly, if I got a wedding invite that suggested this BS, the happy couple would most definitely be getting a toaster.

RedCrow on July 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Bishop on July 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I’m checking to see if I can match your donation. Give me just a minute.

Bmore on July 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I keep getting mailers for Obama donations.

So far I’ve sent them grocery coupons, a buy one get one free coupon for golf balls, a teeth whitening discount, a coupon for $4.00 of a carton of Marlboro and a used up Starbucks card.

Anything I can do to help the cause. //

BacaDog on July 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I bet plenty of the links were from people like me who linked it to mock the idea of a wedding being used to give money to Obama.

njrob on July 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I’ve got one for Team Odumbo:

“Contribute to the president’s retirement fund. Yes, your $50 donation will go toward President Obama’s life after the White House next January.”

RedCrow on July 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I’m trying to imagine the brain storming group that came up with this brilliant idea. Were they young idealists who remember the glory days of ’08 and really believed couples would be honored to donate their once in a lifetime chance for big bucks china settings to the ONE? Or very cynical operatives who thought it was worth a shot?

tj4osu on July 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

0bama evidently did not have the foresight to see that, when you intentionally tank the economy, people have less money to contribute to your campaign.

It’s basic economics, something that he has never understood.

What a shame… for him.

UltimateBob on July 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

For a few hundred more, Biden will giver her a social disease.

coldwarrior on July 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM

You owe me a new monitor.

Flora Duh on July 16, 2012 at 12:07 PM

both comments are hilarious. Can’t stop chuckling, and the thought of Biden…oh, my word…..

chai on July 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

BacaDog on July 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Lol. This is funny–especially if you really did it!

Of course, you realize he could really use the golf ball and Marlboro coupons.

RedCrow on July 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Lol. This is funny–especially if you really did it!

Of course, you realize he could really use the golf ball and Marlboro coupons.

RedCrow on July 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I have done it.

I get a great deal of satisfaction imagining the workers at Bambi’s fundraiser HQ furiously ripping open the envelopes hoping for cash.

I can hear them saying, “Dammit, another 20% off coupon for chicken breasts!”

BacaDog on July 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

The link to this registry is in the online Merriam-Wesbter Site for the word “Obamateurism”.

VietVet_Dave on July 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

njrob on July 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I’m one of ‘em as well (see above for link). My money’s on the majority of them being mockery sign-ups like ours. Would be great if someone would do the breakdown for us–for the spoofs should be easy to separate from the authentic ones.

But then again, maybe not.

ex_machina on July 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM

BacaDog on July 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Priceless. Surprised Odumbo hasn’t wasted more taxpayer money by sending out the local FBI to have a word. (It is his money, after all.)

VietVet_Dave on July 16, 2012 at 1:01 PM

That’s great! Wonder how long that’ll stand?

Okay, see y’all later. Have a nice day.

RedCrow on July 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I wonder if it is possible to contribute to King Putt’s ‘marital diversion campaign’ using EBT cards? If so, then he should be raking in million$ … off the book of course. Not unlike his ‘overseas contributors’ from 2008.

Missilengr on July 16, 2012 at 1:14 PM

And for a mere $3.00 campaign contribution he’ll take prima nocta too.

Akzed on July 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Or whatever the islamic equivalent is…

bofh on July 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

bofh on July 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Goat or camel?

coldwarrior on July 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I’m picturing uppereastside canvasing weddings and stealing the tip jars at the bar so that he can send the money to him.

A typical government solution when the “fools” don’t understand whats best for them.

acyl72 on July 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Bishop on July 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Sorry, I won’t be able to match your contribution, the better half wants to keep the juicer. I’m still good giving up the poached egg thingys.

Bmore on July 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM

God help us, send President Plague on America back to Chicago.

PappyD61 on July 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

With all the options for EBT cards, perhaps the unemployed could donate a portion to Obama. I wonder if Organizing for America has considered that.

bw222 on July 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Alice Roosevelt Longworth once said her father Theodore “wants to be the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral, and the baby at every christening,” but leave it to Obama to try that literally.

bgoldman on July 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Most of the stories and tests were surely conservatives making fun of the registery.

William Teach on July 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Now it all makes sense…Barky suddenly “evolving” view on Gey Marriage…just think of all the registry donations…

Strike Hornet on July 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Kinda like “cash for clunkers”, huh?

Amazingoly on July 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I thought a woman needs to get married like a fish needs a bicycle. Now we’re supposed to get married to help the 0bama campaign? It’s all so confusing.

pedestrian on July 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Considering the recent polling, which shows that married people support Mitt Romney over Obama by a wide margin, while singles support Obama by an equal margin, this is no surprise. What I would love to see is someone giving the bride and groom a “human fund” card (a la George Costanza) in lieu of a wedding gift on a show like “Bridezillas,” and watch the fireworks.

jpferman on July 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hey, Ed, have any of those toaster ovens left? My daughter is heading off to professional school, and my cut-back Obamaplan medical insurance has left me a little low on funds. If you still have one in the attic….

mr.blacksheep on July 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM

All RIGHT

timmytee on July 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’d be glad to donate the garish-beyond-belief framed landscape print that has been up in our attic for the past 27 years.

Or maybe I should donate one of those paintings of dogs playing poker on black velvet. :)

PatriotGal2257 on July 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Whoa! You mean my wedding isn’t about Obama???

“Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.”

- Princess Diana, 20 November 1995

Resist We Much on July 16, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Loool :)…obviously threesomes were not very popular in England in the ’80s :)…and as we can see not awfully popular in the US in the 2010s either :)…methinks obambi overreached alas, again :)

jimver on July 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM

And for a mere $3.00 campaign contribution he’ll take prima nocta too.

Akzed on July 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

With the groom :)

jimver on July 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

If I saw this on someone’s registry, I wouldn’t go.

Xasprtr on July 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Bad news: The Obama bridal registry not as popular as you’d imagine

…he needs a funeral registry.

KOOLAID2 on July 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

He does, it’s called the voter registry logs.

Ann NY on July 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM

RedCrow on July 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I’d go one better. I’d give them a card and in there say “We were going to give you $X. However, we decided to give $X to the Mitt Romney campaign and keep the rest for ourselves because it is obvious that you don’t need it.”

italianguy626 on July 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM

you would think all the LGBTQ or whatever today’s alphabet soup acryonym is would have jumped right on this offer!

Mini-14 on July 16, 2012 at 3:47 PM

The dignity of the CiC in the WH is seriously tarnished and it’ll take a long time to repair.

This a$$clown needs to be removed in Nov.

NapaConservative on July 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM

1100 mentions on Twitter and a few hundred more on Facebook….and how many of those are just conservatives raining down scorn on this stupid idea?

LukeinNE on July 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I wonder if the bright idea was that there were presumed to be an awful lot of people who support the President but don’t care to make a separate donation so make it easy for them to do so. I could see something like this gaining momentum (i.e. groupthink?) and dignity and decorum (of the Presidency) being ignored or set aside as unimportant (compared to the objective of raising funds and getting Obama reelected).

One might think of this … ploy? … as being somewhat pathetic if the expectation was that it would generate any signficant amount of contributions. I wonder if the idea was that it would be a show of public support for Obama (i.e. as the Best President EVER or something).

Russ808 on July 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM

How about a dunk tank?

entagor on July 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM

But, but, I sent the toaster and matching bathtub…

di butler on July 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Can we name a star after him instead?

jackmac on July 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I just found a Dustbuster™ I can contribute. ; )

Bmore on July 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Maybe each donation gets a raffle chance to have Obama show up at their one-year anniversary to give a speech.

Ukiah on July 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Obama still leading in the swing states (and strong in OH as always where they hate Romney) according to new polls from Purple Strategy. All Obama needs is to win Ohio, and he wins the election.

OHIO:

Obama Job: Approve: 46 — Disapprove: 49.

Obama: 48 — Romney 45

FLORIDA:

Obama Job: Approve 43 — Disapprove 54

Obama: 45 — Romney 48

COLORADO:

Obama Job: Approve 45 — Disapprove 51

Obama: 45 — Romney 44

VIRGINIA:

Obama Job: Approve 45 — Disapprove 50

Obama 46 — Romney 44.

gumbyandpokey on July 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM

If you’ve got a wedding business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

AshleyTKing on July 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM

beatcanvas on July 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Aw, you beat me to it!

AshleyTKing on July 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Does he accepts the Monopoly Money??

How about “Kar for Kidds” shipped to “White House”

deeshant48 on July 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

That’s why it’s up to us conservatives to get the word out.

Or at least call the liberals racist for not wanting to share their bounty with a black man.

Now, I know that some of you are conservative-thinking out there. You’re thinking what other president have they offered a cut of the wedding-day take? But that makes sense and it’s just not going to fly. What other president who campaigned on nationalizing healthcare did we enthusiastically embrace? Still, we were racists for being just as against the AC(t)A as we were “Hillarycare” (excuse the sexist term).

Thus, not wanting the president to have a cut of your wedding-day take is RACIST!! -> Racist liberals.

Axeman on July 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM

You know, they already had the lottery to get dinner with Obama, and then the lottery to have dinner with Obama and a famous lefty to be named later.

If they really wanted to have a wedding theme, why not a lottery to have your wedding at the white house? 5 bucks and if we pull your name out of the hat, you could be in the Lincoln bedroom for your first night.

Just not alone.

TexasDan on July 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m trying to imagine the brain storming group that came up with this brilliant idea. Were they young idealists who remember the glory days of ’08 … who thought it was worth a shot?

tj4osu on July 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Remember the shirtless beer ponging speech writers?

DanMan on July 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Well if this doesn’t work, how about “SELL YOUR ORGANS FOR OBAMA!”

grogster on July 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM

pedestrian on July 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Better, go fishing and send the fish to the Obama campaign.

slickwillie2001 on July 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Don’t give your little children any gifts this Christmas. Instead send the money to the Obama campaign. If your kids cry because they got no presents don’t tell them you sent the gift buying money to the Obama campaign just tell them Santa Claus doesn’t like them.

VorDaj on July 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I might be an outlier, but hey if I were being wed this summer, I’d fer sure give every best-wishes gift to the teleprompter reading goofball from Chicago. Probly.

spivey on July 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM

apostic on July 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Ewwwwwwwwww. I need to go brush my teeth. NOT a good mental image.

iurockhead on July 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Obama, who wants to “invest” in America, doesn’t know how to invest. He can’t tell a peach from a pooch. This wasn’t even a pooch; it was a pooch’s poo!

njcommuter on July 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I wouldn’t even acknowledge an invitation asking for a contribution to any politician, especially Obummer. I wouldn’t attend the event and wouldn’t bother sending a gift.

sherrimae on July 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM