Marriage is good for society … and the GOP

posted at 2:01 pm on July 15, 2012 by Rob Bluey

Marriage plays a key role in strengthening civil society and reducing poverty. Families of married couples, for example, are approximately six times less likely to be poor than single-parent families. That suggests marriage is one way to reduce the growing dependence on government welfare programs.

It also turns out that married couples think about the world quite differently from their single counterparts. When it comes to their political preferences, married couples tend to back Republicans while single men and women support Democrats. That was the case in 2008 and it’s once again shaping up to be a dividing line in 2012.

Pollster John Zogby noted the distinction in a recent piece on the “marriage gap,” which he called more dramatic than the gender gap. Zogby runs through the numbers:

In an analysis provide by my colleagues at Gallup after the 2008 election, all married voters supported Senator John McCain over his Senate counterpart Barack Obama by a 12 point margin – 56% to 44%. Single voters favored Obama overwhelmingly by 30 points – 65% to 35%. But the gender characteristics of voter patterns were nearly canceled out by the marriage gap. In 2008, married men gave McCain a 16 point advantage over Obama – 58% to 42% — while single men pounded the Arizona Senator by 26 points – 63% to 37%. Married women supported McCain by 6 points, 53% to 47%, but it was Obama’s 32 point margin among single women – 66% to 34% — that provided him with a comfortable margin of victory.

We see every indication thus far that married voters will turn out and we see pretty much the same patterns as in 2008 in our 2012 polling. Thus, Romney leads Obama among married voters by 13 points – 50% to 37% — which is about the same as McCain’s margin in 2008. But Obama’s 18 point lead among all single voters – 52% to 34%– is far short of his performance four years ago. Again the Republican leads among married men by 18 points – 51% to 33% — even better than McCain’s margin. Obama’s margin in our poll of 27 points (56% to 29%) among single men is also on the mark with 2008. Romney leads among married women this time by 10 points (50% to 40%), better than McCain’s 6 point margin. But, while Obama leads among single women by 21 points – 50% to 29% — this does not match his 32 point margin in 2008. Even worse for Obama, at this point in time, is that 21% of single women are undecided. This is a strong suggestion that they may not even vote.

These numbers paint a sharp contrast between married and single voters. And while married couples don’t think monolithically about policy issues, there’s clearly something that draws more of them to conservative ideas. Even more striking, however, is the larger number of single men and women who come down on the other side.

With marriage on the decline among the poor and middle class, this should be a wake-up call for conservatives. Leaving politics aside, the benefits of marriage are so significant — for personal success and educational attainment — that it’s worth focusing on ways to strengthen and promote marriage.

Comments

….can I have muliple wives?

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Does this factor in the SSM crowd? With marriage being redefined, something is going to get very screwy somewhere down the road.

Liam on July 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I wonder if the difference in point of view can be measured among unmarried people that are attempting/philic/etc marriage …

Axe on July 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

….can I have muliple wives?

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Everyone but you dude. We decided that last week. :) See the flier, new rule #6.

Axe on July 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I can picture Chris Matthews on this topic: “While it is claimed by Conservatives that married people lean Republican, our own unbiased fair-and-balanced survey of same-sex marriage partners overwhelming support Dear Lea…er…President Barack Obama fifty thousand to one.

“I think I just got another thrill up my leg…”

Liam on July 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

….can I have muliple wives?

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

That would fall under The Cadillac Marriage section of the new Healthcare Law.

Electrongod on July 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

….can I have muliple wives?

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

only if they are all conservative :-)

jimver on July 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM

2nd look at gay marriage? Oh! Wait!

VegasRick on July 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM

You mean married people think long term more so than singles? Well knock me over with a feather…

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

….can I have muliple wives?

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

can you handle the PMS?

Just saying.

upinak on July 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

….can I have muliple wives?

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I don’t know why marriage should be limited. Seems kind of discriminatory .

Kind of ironic coming from teh gheys. /

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

married couples tend to back Republicans…

it should read ‘married heterosexual couples’ :)

jimver on July 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

That would fall under The Cadillac Marriage section of the new Healthcare Law.

Electrongod on July 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

…krap! …I didn’t read the WHOLE thing…I don’t belong to a UNION ):

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

This depends on what you mean by ‘marriage’…because you know nothing is real, everything is a construct.

just sayin

John Kettlewell on July 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM

it should read ‘married heterosexual couples’ :)

jimver on July 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It is not like gays are really embracing the idea in great numbers.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM

can you handle the PMS?

Just saying.

upinak on July 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

…been spoiled!…my wife doesn’t have that affliction (:->) I do!

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

married couples tend to back Republicans…

it should read ‘married heterosexual couples’ :)

jimver on July 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I’m sure it’s true among the gays, too.

Only it goes from 96%-4% Obama to 84%-16% Obama.

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

It is not like gays are really embracing the idea in great numbers.

… and yet, there are indications that they might be.
“Hillbuzz.org” seems to now be … Conservative … and has been for maybe a year and a half. One of them stopped by Table9chat several months ago …
Teh JEF has changed America …and it looks to be not the way he intended.

Arbalest on July 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Is this the 0 ate dog, 0 married a dog, or a dog voted for 0 thread? Oh well, no matter, I’m sure one of them will work here.

Bmore on July 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Only it goes from 96%-4% Obama to 84%-16% Obama.

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM

WGAF as*hole?

. There’s very few of them anyway. It is clear most are dimwits like you that don’t care about future generations. ESAD SCUMBAG.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Does this factor in the SSM crowd?

SSM is so uncommon, even after legalization, to have pretty much no effect on the numbers.

18-1 on July 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Hungover? Unlaid? Even for you, you’re a little cranky.

Of course I care about future generations, who’s going to pay my Social Security?

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Marriage may be good for society and the GOP, but it is a raw deal for men. The statistics about the benefits of marriage are misleading, since they never include the divorced, just the marriages that survive. Convenient.

Divorce theft — child support, alimony — makes marriage for a man like playing Russian Roulette with three chambers loaded. Plus one braves false DV accusations, a common tool used by women in court. Progressives couldn’t create such a toxic environment alone; they need the help of naive white knight enforcers from conservative ranks to get it done, as always.

If conservatives really wanted to strengthen marriage, they would start by repealing the draconian VAWA in its entirety. That conservatives are focused on gays — a statistically insignificant fragment of the population — shows they’re more concerned about status-signaling their own righteousness than advancing their own agenda.

Note — I’ve never been married. I’m just saying what’s going through the heads of many young people, and why the conservative “Man up, get married” bs turns people off.

JHB on July 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Ummm. Welfare programs are designed to take the place of the husband/family. Liberalism(socialism/communism/fascism) is designed to weaken civil society so they can make people dependent on the government and concentrate power in a single place(run by them of course because they know better than others how to run your life)

Corsair on July 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

18-1 on July 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

And, of the states where it is legal, only two (Iowa and New Hampshire) are in play.

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Marriage is good for society … and the GOP

headline: Rob Bluey

Because the definition of marriage is being “temporarily blurred”, we must be more specific.

Marriage [as defined by the God of the Bible] is good for society … and the GOP, period.

listens2glenn on July 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

WE (the productive) already pay your welfare, food stamps, medicare…why not SS?

ES you’re dumber than a box of retarded Democrats…I know that is redundant but who cares?

You’re a scumbag.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

been spoiled!…my wife doesn’t have that affliction (:->) I do!

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

lool :-)…

jimver on July 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

UrbanE your use of the English language would make anyone believe your education was not up to standard. Have you ever thought about suing PS 243 and Phoenix?

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Does marriage make people better? Not really. Better people get married, more like it.

MeatHeadinCA on July 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Bmore on July 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, and they say we Christians are crazy for drawing a correlation between the rejection of a Biblical worldview and the current political/cultural situation in the West.

Cleombrotus on July 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Well, therefore it follows that marriage makes better people even better?

Cleombrotus on July 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Bmore on July 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Actually with this joke of an ObamaRecovery it is not going to happen.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

WE (the productive) already pay your welfare, food stamps, medicare…why not SS?

You’re a scumbag.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Actually, I’ve been a taxpaying citizen for many years, have never been on any sort of public assistance and have maxed out on social security payments for the last decade. I am boringly normal with regard to being an employed, married, taxpaying, child-raising, heterosexual,home owning American.

I think my grammar’s been OK today. You have particular beef? I confess my typing sucks, though.

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I think my grammar’s been OK today. You have particular beef?

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

You are the gift that keeps giving.

Thanks for playing mooch.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

UrbanE you and I know you are FOS. The liars are so easy to spot.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM

CW, outside of the comments at the end of last nights QOTD, I don’t think I have seen an assertion quite as incredible today. Not yours, urban elitist, remarkable. I always quote the comments as stand alones as I also copy and save them for later. The logic of this particular comment is without logic. ; ) urban elitist a a peculiar little troll.

Bmore on July 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM

a=is, dang iPad thingy!

Bmore on July 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Well, therefore it follows that marriage makes better people even better?
Cleombrotus on July 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM

If just say more mature, independent individuals will get married. Someone that’s milking the system isn’t going to be a better citizen if the get hitched to one of their child’s father.

MeatHeadinCA on July 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Married people favor Romney. Big Surprise. Married people are also far less likely to be poor or dependent on government. Married people pay their taxes. No surprise that democrats favor everything that weakens marriage: unfettered abortion, mandatory insurance for contraception, gay marriage, etc. They’re just increasing their base.

“mawwiage. Wove, twue wove.”

jpferman on July 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The urban elitists still cheer it and Obama on.

Thanks guys!

Mooches.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Corsair on July 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Agree.

Tyrannical Governments undercut traditional cultural glue found in organizations like community churches/synagogues…then drive out or destroy resisting churches or force conciliatory churches to be the puppets of the state (a devil’s bargain).

Once the “community glue” is dissolved the families are easier to breakup and happens often within a generation or two.

The Tyrannical State will not tolerate any competing authority…even in the home of the citizen

workingclass artist on July 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Bmore on July 15, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I’m not quite sure I follow you. The original comment on this thread, “96%-4%” was, obviously (I assumed) facetious. The second, regarding swing states that permit same sex marriage, was motivated by a little curiosity.

I’ve been on good behavior today, I thought.

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I think my grammar’s been OK today. You have particular beef?

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Comedy gold.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Or maybe people who are drawn to conservative ideas are more likely to be the ones wanting to get married…

Correlation doesn’t equal causation

ChrisL on July 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Comedy gold.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Just throw a quarter in the hat when they pass it around.

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

The Love Boat!

Hey!

Soon will be making another run –

The Love Boat!

Enjoy desert!

Promises something for everyone!

Set a course for adventure, your heart on a new romance.

Eddie on the piano, everyone. Some love for Eddie.

Da da da da, it’s love!

Axe on July 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Correlation doesn’t equal causation

ChrisL on July 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

My niece got a lot more conservative when she had her child and they bought a house. Things like that tend to change your outlook because you have skin in the game, and someone who depends on you. You are not inclined to take chances with guys like Obama and you listen more closely for the things that can threaten what you love.

sharrukin on July 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

18-1 on July 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

While that might be statistically accurate for now, the liberal media will use it where they can.

For an idea:

Why are there no official government studies of women who have had abortions, to learn what they think and feel after doing the deed.

Why are there no studies of adopted children raised in same-sex households?

The government has conducted studies to figure out why Frisbees fly. What haven’t they looked at those things I mentioned?

Liam on July 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM

So, what’s the incentive for Democrats not to weaken marriage as much as possible?

The bottom line for all Democrat policies is retention of political power. Anything that gets in the way of that is sacrificed. National security, fiscal sustainability, economic prosperity, social stability, scientific progress, education, etc.

Socratease on July 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM

MeatHeadinCA on July 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Yeah, there’s something about those who are married and actively participating in the raising of their children that those of us who are single do not have, regardless of how good we are as persons. There’s some actual psychic or spiritual benefit. It does seem to require an active and willing participation in the process though.

I used to go to a men’s Bible Study where I was one of the few single guys there. I could run rings around them with what I knew about the Bible but I could recognize that most of them were actually better men than I.

Which is what it’s really about after all, anyway.

Cleombrotus on July 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I think my grammar’s been OK today. You have particular beef?

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Comedy gold.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

urban onanist’s favorite dish I guess.

slickwillie2001 on July 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

….can I have muliple wives?

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Many women would be better off if the man was a decent sort-I don’t know what some of these women are thinking out there (Oh I can guess…”He neeeeeds me”…”I’ll fix him!”). There oughta be a law along the lines of “You can’t marry or ‘date’ (obvious euphemism for having sex) a man that can afford tattoos, cigarettes, weed and booze but doesn’t have a car or a job.”

So many of these men I see out there anymore are just big babies that happen to be loaded with testosterone…selfish, brooding, ignorant, lack direction…and many of them have college degrees or skills!

Of course, many women are psychotic. I’ve known ones that have really good husbands…and it’s just not enough…nooooo, they want a “bad boy”, they want excitement. Naturally, they get hurt, crash…and do it all over again! or settle for some dud because he’s safe somehow…possibly some kind of self-induced punishment for their mistakes.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

can you handle the PMS?

Just saying.

upinak on July 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Multiple mother in laws

Schadenfreude on July 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

If you are interested in why women fall for bad boys look up hypergamy and the dark triad.

Marriage is especially good for women but a wash, at best, for men. It would be a good idea if the GOP wised up and started changing the horrible divorce laws so to protect the men who vote for them.

Bill C on July 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I love it when people somehow thing that the Bible is the Constitution.

Fourteenth Amendment? Never heard of it!

It's Vintage, Duh on July 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I’ll never know if I’m better off as a married man but I know without a doubt my daughters are better off with a father who enjoys his 2nd Amendment liberties. Even I know that marriage isn’t about “me me me”, it’s about my children – something homosexual activists will never truly understand and/or accept.

ImageSniper on July 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM

It’s Vintage, Duh on July 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Without the Bible’s influence there wouldn’t BE a Constitution, sport.

Cleombrotus on July 15, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I’m curious if Marriage itself changes peoples attitudes, or if it’s just that in today’s society, with divorce being so easy, the type of people who are more likely to stay together tend to have values (beyond just about marriage) more in line with the Republican party.

FireDrake on July 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I’ve been on good behavior today, I thought.

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Nothing peculiar here folks, move along, move along. In our next exhibit………..

Bmore on July 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM

It probably correlates with several things. Religious people tend to marry more than those who see no value in such sacraments and the religious are also more GOP. Also married people are likely more concerned about leaving their grandchildren in hopeless debt and thus support Republicans who call for fiscal prudence rather than those with no children who have more of a “Let the good times roll” attitude for the present and let the future take care of itself. Also married women get some input from husbands who are more conservative that has some impact on their thinking; while, as any woman will tell you however, the wife sharing her more liberal information with her husband will have no impact.

KW64 on July 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Married people are also older on average than singles and that correlates with voting GOP. (Probably something about wisdom?)

KW64 on July 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Note: gay marriage is primarily promoted to reduce the stigma for heterosexuals not marrying, and to reduce the stigma for married couples not having kids. It’s to normalize sterile homosexual relationships as a model for heterosexual relationships.

Count to 10 on July 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

KW64 on July 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Umm speak for yourself. I became a conservative before my husband did..

melle1228 on July 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I am single so I can say it: Single people are more likely to be flakes or totally self centered. Nobody could live with many of them although there are married people who are even more messed up the numbers are skewed.

IlikedAUH2O on July 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Why do you think the Democrat want to destroy Marriage?

njcommuter on July 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I think my grammar’s been OK today. You have particular beef?

urban elitist on July 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Comedy gold.

CW on July 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

urban onanist’s favorite dish I guess.

slickwillie2001 on July 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

What the hell is wrong with you people? I love needling a leftist as much as the next guy, but you guys are just being mean here, and for no good reason.

I mean, besides the missing “a”, the grammar of the question is just fine.

runawayyyy on July 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM

(insert outdated polygamy joke here)

CrustyB on July 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM