Senate Dems introducing the “Team USA Made in America Act of 2012.” Seriously.

posted at 8:01 pm on July 13, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

I’m having trouble typing this, because I absolutely cannot stop laughing — it’s just that absurd. But sadly, as ever, I only laugh to keep from weeping. I mean… is this real? Are they serious?

Yesterday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said we should “burn” the Team USA uniforms that Ralph Lauren designed for the opening ceremonies of the Olympics, because they were manufactured overseas — just like 98 percent of the clothing purchased in America everyday. I thought it was just Harry Reid being Harry Reid, but apparently, the Senate Democrats are mounting a full-frontal legislative assault on this ostensible travesty of justice. …The term “fundamentally unserious” springs to mind:

Six U.S. senators put out a statement late Friday detailing the bill, saying it will require the committee to adopt a policy that ensures ceremonial uniforms are “sewn or assembled in the United States.”

“The U.S. Olympic Committee was 100 percent wrong to outsource the manufacturing of U.S. uniforms for the opening ceremony to China,” Sen. Bob Casey. D-Pa., one of the sponsors, said. …

The lawmakers introducing the bill signaled it would be applied to future Olympics, but continued to call on the Olympic Committee to “do the right thing for this summer’s team” by soliciting new, made-in-the-USA uniforms. …

But Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., who is also sponsoring the new bill, called on the committee to use an American company, suggesting Rochester-based suit maker Hickey Freeman as an ideal candidate for the job. He also said the New York state firm would be “thrilled” to partner with Ralph Lauren provided Ralph Lauren wants to make the uniforms stateside.

Wow, guys. What with your sense of petty big-government interference in this privately-funded endeavor, with your appallingly misaligned priorities with the country in economic crisis, and with your clamorous disapproval of Republicans’ “show votes,” you’ve truly outdone yourselves.

I take umbrage — So. Much. Umbrage. — with politicians who imply that “protectionism” and “patriotism” are the same thing, because they aren’t. If we made everything in America, just for the sake of making everything in America, we would be vastly poorer. Think about it: What if you made and did everything for yourself, just for the sake of being self-sufficient? What if all of your food, clothing, shelter, tools, etcetera were the product of your own two hands, without any specialized employment in which you earned money to buy these things? How much more rich and well-off do you think you’d be? You wouldn’t, because obtaining things from wherever and whomever they are best, least expensively, and most efficiently produced is the most effective route to having more things, a.k.a economic growth. Pandering to faux populist outrage should not be on our legislative to-do list.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Another Law…

Means nothing though..

One EO..
Puff…

Electrongod on July 13, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I’d support this if they were trying to ban teh ugly.

Nessuno on July 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Lawmakers were livid to discover that the United States’ Olympic team uniforms were made in China. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) even suggested “they should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile and burn them and start all over again.”

The company who designed the uniforms, Ralph Lauren, has received less scrutiny. Few outlets have noted that Ralph Lauren himself is a prominent contributor to President Obama and the Democratic Party.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Lauren has given $7,300 to Obama since 2008, and more than $35,000 to the Democratic National Committee.

bayview on July 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Good thing there’s nothing else going on that needs more attention right now. The middle class is ‘doing fine’

rightside on July 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

What about the “Presidential Campaign Bus Made In America Act”?

Or the “US Taxpayer Money Should be Spent In The US Act”?

I think we’re on to something….that’s why it will never see a vote.

BobMbx on July 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

You want Freedom Fries with that?

FlatFoot on July 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The excerpt posted is from an article noting Ralph Lauren the outsourcer is from Washington Free Beacon.

bayview on July 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Unemployment, foreclosures, entitlement costs skyrocketing.
Open border, but let’s do this thing, senators.
Burn yourselves down, Harry.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on July 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

This.

knob on July 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

And then they’ll get to work on a budget, right?

Flange on July 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Here we go again.

They reason they’re doing this is because it works. Only the GOP would be stupid enough to evetry arguing that outsourcing is a good thing in this economy. They are, therefore, taking advantage of the opportunity this stupidity provides.

HB3 on July 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Brilliant

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I’m sure ABC news is fully in support if this move by the Democrats, they’ve been pushing “protectionism” as “patriotism” since the last election.

Sharr on July 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Is there such thing as a triple facepalm?

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

This is a tapestry of injustice!

ya2daup on July 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

It’s all about “optics” with the Left.

John the Libertarian on July 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Man, this will save & create jobs big time, won’t it?

Harbingeing on July 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Pandering to faux populist outrage should not be on our legislative to-do list.

That’s pretty much all they do anymore. It’s an election year, missy!

squint on July 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Is the Senate going to confiscate these Athletes’ cell phones and laptops too? They’re invariably partially or completely made in China.

AYNBLAND on July 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I would think the outrage would be more that they are butt freaking ugly.

Berets? Berets?

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Idiotic…

lexhamfox on July 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM

This is ALL ABOUT THE OUTSOURCING ANGLE……

I wish the Romney campaign was half as on offense as these despicable Communist Democrats are.

GOD save us.

PappyD61 on July 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM

“fundamentally unserious”

While I agree, this is also an apt description for the 33 Obamacare repeal votes in the house…

ernesto on July 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

This from the Party that gave us NAFTA, GATT, and Chinese admission to the WTO. Arguments for unlimited free trade making things oh so cheap for American consumers reminds me of my parents description of the depression. “You could buy anything for a nickle..but nobody had a job to earn a nickle.”

bluesdoc70 on July 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

A Hickey Freeman sport coat is approx $1500!
Just sayin’

kooly on July 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Obama stands for Change.

Key West Reader on July 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Proof positive – you just can’t fix stupid!

OldEnglish on July 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM

My old flag was getting a little faded before the 4th of July so I went looking to buy a replacement. I was appalled to find most of them were ‘Made in China’.

There’s no way that I could fly a U.S. flag made in China. There are a lot of veterans in my family and the flag, and everything it stands for, means a lot to us.

I was afraid that I was going to have to go on line and order one made in the USA. Before I gave up and headed home, I decided to check a few more stores across town and my persistence paid off. I finally managed to find a quality flag that should last us for several years that was made here in the USA.

I’m hoping I don’t have to stockpile several flags to be sure that we can always fly one that’s made here in the USA.

thatsafactjack on July 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Obama Stands for Change

Key West Reader on July 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Theyre just finding a reason to get back at the Olympic Committee after they embarrassed the Messiah when they rejected the thugs he sent to arm twist for a Chicago Olympic site.

malkinmania on July 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Berets? Berets?

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM

And no French loaves! Mon Dieu!

OldEnglish on July 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I don’t really care. The uniforms are ugly. Ralph Lauren looks like he started with some flight attendants uniforms, and sewed an emblem on them.

Is it too late to get them new uniforms entirely? Something that doesn’t make me want to ask them to stow my carry on luggage in the overhead bin, and bring me a beverage?

Ralph Lauren introduces U.S. Olympic uniforms: We are now flying at 30,000 feet if you look out the right side of the cockpit you can see where we are going to land, and people are going to expect you to help them de-board the plane, and direct them to their checked baggage. Thanks for flying my over hyped name brand. Watch your step when you exit. SNARK.

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Yet another case of something that should be remedied in the social arena, but lawmakers insist on making a law to force their will.

Count to 10 on July 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Democrats version of Freedom Fries.

Skywise on July 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

dude..?

ted c on July 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Wait one second.

The uniforms reflect an artistic mix of English, French, and Latino Communist chic. They were designed by a bi-sexual Jew who is also disabled (he is unnaturally short). AND they were crafted by Chinese peasants.

Celebrate Diversity, haters!

CorporatePiggy on July 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

This is much, MUCH, more important than passing a budget or keeping our federal deficit from becoming a black hole that will consume the entire country, or the threat of annihilation from a nuclear Iran.

I long for the days of yore when Democrats in Congress actually gave a damn about the country.

Socratease on July 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Team America already has a theme song…..

ted c on July 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Pure Genius

smorrow66 on July 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Cindy has her thinking cap on…

turfmann on July 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Is this a huge outrage really with normal people? I know I am able to sleep at night knowing the uniforms were made in China.

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Let them fart around with ridiculous distractions they pray will make everyone forget about their disastrous reign. Such contemptuous treatment of the voters only digs their graves deeper.

NotCoach on July 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

How about a bill that requires American Astronauts to only travel on American-made rockets?

Socratease on July 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

“fundamentally unserious”

ernesto on July 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Heh. I perused the comments , saw your name and knew exactly what you posted without looking. Your predictable.

Hey tell me …how did Judge Roberts change the ACA into a revenue producing law when such laws are supposed to start in the House?
Do tell smart guy. Btw the leading by fiat(whether it be Roberts or Obama) is going to bite you libturds in the arse.

CW on July 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Count to 10 on July 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Where are Nike’s made? Just saying if people looked in these lawmakers closets, chances are they will find some made in “Chinese” apparel.

When the American athletes go on air – when the Olympics start, this is what the world is going to see the American athletes wearing. Can’t we get someone to come in, and I don’t know freshen their uniforms up?

I am wondering if Ralph Lauren just didn’t sub contract out the design of these uniform?

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM

“fundamentally unserious”

ernesto on July 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Only to entitlement grabbers like you, Fidel.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on July 13, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Is there such thing as a triple facepalm?

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Can you touch your face with your feet?

NotCoach on July 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Because ever single one of our other problems has been solved, including the lack of a budget for 3 years..right?

Mutnodjmet on July 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM

So, the same people who hasn’t passed a budget in three years, nor even considered the 30 some House bills actually aimed at creating jobs, stops everything to pass a piece of crap like this. Idiots, all.

Now, do these Dem-asses know that Ralph Lauren, who outsourced the making of these threads in the first place, has contributed some $42,000 to Obama’s re-election? How’s that going to sit with the TFGP?

TXUS on July 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Electioneering with political theater: Pretending progs are not anti-American.

Pffft.

petefrt on July 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Cindy – this would have worked, if our cover had not been blown. The GOP could have hidden this provision in the bill — because, after all, you have to pass the bill so we can find out what’s in it.

Our secret is now out.

Mutnodjmet on July 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Comparative advantage anyone?

While I’d like to see reduction in regulation that currently makes US textiles prohibitively expensive, we do benefit from inexpensive Chinese clothing.

Liberals seem to always consider economics a zero-sum game. It is when corruption enters the equation, but that’s rare. 90-95-98% of the time all parties benefit.

beancounter on July 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

That would be even funnier still! Good one !

Bmore on July 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM

What about the “Presidential Campaign Bus Made In America Act”?

Or the “US Taxpayer Money Should be Spent In The US Act”?

I think we’re on to something….that’s why it will never see a vote.

BobMbx on July 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM

OY!

workingclass artist on July 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Great, and then China will ban the importation of Boeing airplanes in retaliation. Way to go, Democrats.

pedestrian on July 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I lived in Chucks in the 80”s, they lasted forever. Still made in the USA.
Fast forward to 2012, you can create your own Chucks now, but when I got them, I wasn’t impressed. They were pretty, but they didn’t fit the same, they didn’t really fit at all, too big, even in my correct size. The quality was inferior. They are made in China.
I will never buy another pair of Chucks.
Bob Beckel is convinced that the Chicoms are going to put something in the clothes to make our athletes slow.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on July 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Designer plans to produce future uniforms in USA
July 13, 2012
*************

At the next Olympics, the team from the USA will wear uniforms made in the USA.

Designer Ralph Lauren announced Friday that the uniforms it provides the U.S. Olympic team at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, will, in fact,

be made in the United States.
*******************************

The U.S. uniforms for the London Games were made in China, which sparked congressional criticism of the U.S. Olympic Committee.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said the USOC should be “ashamed of themselves” and Rep. Steve Israel, D-N.Y., called the decision “not just outrageous, it’s just plain dumb. It is self-defeating.”(More….)
==========================

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:41 PM

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I think Obama touring in a campaign bus made in Canada is a bigger deal than where these uniforms were mass produced. Ralph Lauren’s Olympic fashion statement “Service” class chic? Ralph Lauren statement: America’s not just in decline, we want to take your drink orders. Ralph: London, my names Ralph, I’ll be your server tonight. LOL!

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Maybe Ralph could make a jacket with more pockets for Harry to keep all the bills that the House has passed…I’d bet he’d be all over that…

ccrosby on July 13, 2012 at 8:41 PM

=================================

Haha,yup,who will blink first,Erika!!

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

TXUS on July 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Well, they’ve run out of baseball players to interrogate…
Busy, busy, busy!

4Grace on July 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

bayview on July 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Ralph Lauren has contributed a tiny fraction of a percent of what the Chinese Communist government has contributed to Obama’s campaign.

Harry Reid knows full well who paid what to whom. This is all smoke and mirrors.

logis on July 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM

So the Democrats are slamming the Chinese. I guess Hsu wasn’t bundling for them this go around.

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Ya know,ahem,the unifirm colours remind me,
of Obama For America,jus say’n!!

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM

==================

A Collective Symbolic Gesture Sumpin Sumpin….MMM..MMM..MMM!!
(sarc).

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

This.

knob on July 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Brilliant

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Cindy has her thinking cap on…

turfmann on July 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Motion carries; all those in favor say “aye”.

AYE !

listens2glenn on July 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:41 PM

That’s exactly what they look like.

I don’t understand why Ralph Lauren is the only designer that gets to do these either.

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

That’s exactly what they look like.

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

He’s an Obama contributor, to the tune of $42,000 for this election. Any questions?

TXUS on July 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I hadn’t thought of that one. Excellent observation, Dr’.

listens2glenn on July 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Pandering to faux populist outrage should not be on our legislative to-do list.
==========

Me thinks,Reid is on a Social Justice Crusade,of some type!!

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM

So when is the Democratic controlled Senate GOING TO PASS A BUDGET?

GarandFan on July 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM

That’s exactly what they look like.

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

They say there is still time to get them new uniforms. If I was a fashion designer- who wanted some press, I would be sending in a new design for the uniforms to the U.S. Olympic team headquarters give them an option.

Ralph Lauren either handed off the design to an underling or the design of the Olympic uniform wasn’t a priority for him. I am guessing he had to sign off on the final design though.

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM

As others have said, comparative advantage is the name of the game. Somebody send Harry Reid this video with the explanation; it explains absolute and comparative advantage using Gilligan’s Island characters (it should be about his speed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38hvvAzgXZY

Brad G on July 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Dr Evil:Great catch,and it looks like a bad week or so for Dems
getting caught on/in Campaign Fraud!:)

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’d rather see the legislative branch craft and pass legislation that would encourage US manufacturing. Then, with a more competitive manufacturing base, it would be more likely that the things we buy would come from the US, without the need of limiting legislation like this…

/then I woke up from my pleasant dream.

massrighty on July 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

TXUS on July 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM

This reminds me of The Emperor’s New Clothes.

The Emperor (Obama) orders a new suit of clothes for the Olympic team, and get’s swindled.

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM

“fundamentally unserious”

ernesto on July 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM

You, sir, are comically moronic.

Midas on July 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM

This.

knob on July 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Brilliant

gophergirl on July 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Cindy has her thinking cap on…

turfmann on July 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Motion carries; all those in favor say “aye”.

AYE !

listens2glenn on July 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

MOST. BRILLIANT. IDEA. EVER!
AYE!

PatriotGal2257 on July 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Oops,oh boy,did Reid and Posse` start an International Political
Incident!!
(sarc)
________

Made-in-China U.S. Olympic uniforms spark political row
14 07 2012
**********

EW YORK (Reuters) – Ralph Lauren’s stylish uniforms for the U.S. Olympic team, complete with a jaunty beret, have sparked a political row because the red, white and blue outfits were made in China.

With U.S. unemployment hovering just above 8 percent,

politicians have spoken out against the uniforms for the London Games, which start later this month, and six Democratic senators said they plan to introduce legislation requiring the ceremonial uniforms be produced in the United States

“At a time when too many Americans are looking for work and our manufacturers are closing factories,

we need to do everything we can to keep jobs in America and not give the work of producing our iconic American uniforms for our Olympians to China,”

Senator Robert Menendez of New Jersey said in a statement announcing the measure.
(More…)
========

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I am sure it has been mentioned but Obamalamadingdong’s bus was manufactured n Canada. I do not recall Harry Reid having a hissy fit at the time.

mouell on July 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Senate Dems introducing the “Team USA Made in America Act of 2012.”

Ok, McConnell. Here’s your chance. Attach a “Budget” as a rider to this bill. It’ll be “fun” to see Reid et al vote AGAINST the Made in the USA bill due to something as frivolous as a budget rider…

Gohawgs on July 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Long car trips seem to sharpen your rapier wit.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Cindy Munford:I must chime in as well,very well put!!:)

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Hate to agree with Reid on anything but this makes sense. I don’t care what percentage of clothes sold in the US are foreign made we make fine clothes here and especially uniforms. There is no reason anyone representing the US is wearing something foreign made unless the company provided the stuff free and is kicking in a large sponsor fee to boot.

Rocks on July 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Or, what Mrs. Munford said!!!

Gohawgs on July 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

It appears the Libs/Dems/Socialist Pinko’s/ProgTards,
are a wee bit sensitive,

could it be, jobs/economy related!!

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Doesn’t it seem odd that the Democrats would be slamming the Chinese given their history with Chinese campaign donors?

I can’t remember the last time the Chinese name didn’t come up with Democrat fund raising.

If the democrats have lost the support of the communist Chinese they really are in deep doo doo :)

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The hypocrisy begins when you realize the federal government provides no funding at all for our Olympics teams, athletes, or trainers. IIRC, we are the ONLY nation whose team is 100% privately funded.

So what business is it of Schumer’s or Congress’ in the first place? Issuing demands? Passing laws? Based on WHAT authority – legal OR moral?

And you can bet the fancy suits Schumer and Reid wore to their indignant press conferences weren’t made in the USA.

I used to dislike Sam Donaldson a lot for his disrespect of Reagan, and Sen. Fritz Hollings for his wholesale abandonment of his conservative South Carolina ideals to accommodate liberals and promote himself as a Presidential possibility. But the two got off some great zingers at each other in an episode of This Week with David Brinkley some 25 years ago:

Hollings was spouting his protectionist blather (he took lots of cash from a textile billionaire) and Donaldson interrupted him and pinned him down on “buying American” and Hollings dug himself a hole. “But Senator,” Donaldson broke in, “where did you buy the suit you are wearing?” [He knew Hollings' suits were all hand-tailored in Hong Kong].

Hollings was visibly taken aback, but only for a moment, and replied, “Why, Sam! I don’t ask where you buy your toupees!” Donaldson was speechless.

Adjoran on July 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Team USA Made in America Act of 2012?
Democrats are sooooooo gay.

jan3 on July 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

But look who ordered them made in China, demo donor.

Schadenfreude on July 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Pandering to faux populist outrage should not be on our legislative to-do list.

“It’s for the children”…in an election season…fools have no concept of Capitalilms and export/import.

Plus, they kissed China’s azz for years and all of a sudden are outraged.

On the other hand the uniforms are sooo incredibly ugly and look like Che or Mao ones, that they s/b burned.

The athletes should just wear their own clothes, to each their own and win medals.

Schadenfreude on July 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Well, s/b Capitalism.

Schadenfreude on July 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM

But look who ordered them made in China, demo donor.

Schadenfreude on July 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Heh

Dr Evil on July 13, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Gillibrad NY,weighs in!!

__________________________________

American Athletes Kicking Off 2012 Olympic Games in Uniforms Made in China – Gillibrand and Israel Outraged, Call on U.S. Olympic Committee to Only Use Uniforms Made in America For Future Olympics

Officials Express Deep Disappointment That $1 Billion Purchase for U.S. Athletes Was Not Produced Here at Home

July 12, 2012
*************

Washington, D.C. – Following reports that American athletes will be kicking off the 2012 Olympics in uniforms made in China, U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Congressman Steve Israel expressed outrage, and called on the U.S. Olympic Committee to produce uniforms for Team USA for all future Olympics that are made by American workers. Manufacturing Olympic garments in America would bring $1 billion into the U.S. economy.

Senator Gillibrand said, “When America’s best athletes are representing our country on the world stage, we should be representing the best of American-made goods. The pride of our Olympic athletics goes hand in hand with the pride of American innovation and manufacturing. We shouldn’t be going to the world stage with anything less. From head to toe, Team USA must be made in America.”

Rep. Israel said, “It is disgraceful that our American athletes will be wearing Chinese-made uniforms during the Olympics. We should be promoting American-made goods and supporting our domestic manufacturers and laborers. I urge the U.S. Olympic Committee to reconsider their decision.”

The full text of the letter sent to the U.S. Olympic Committee is below and attached:
===================

Mr. Lawrence F. Probst
Chairman
United States Olympic Committee

Dear Chairman Probst,

It has come to our attention that this year’s U.S. Olympic uniforms were manufactured overseas in China, this is both shocking and deeply disappointing. We have enormous pride in all of our Olympic athletes and want to ensure they are displaying the same pride we have in our American workers when competing on the world stage. We are asking that the Committee and its Board of Directors take immediate steps to guarantee that this embarrassment does not happen again by voting that any future contracts for Olympic uniforms are made in America. This would ensure that U.S. Olympians are supporting American jobs. As American fans cheer for our Olympians, we should also be cheering for the American manufacturers and laborers reflected in the red, white and blue on their uniforms.

There is no compelling reason why all of the uniforms cannot be made here on U.S. soil at the same price, at better quality. Just as our athletes will be proudly competing in London, American manufacturers compete for the honor to outfit them on the criteria of using solely American workers to make these uniforms. It has been reported by economists that if every one of us spent an extra $3.33 on U.S.- made goods every year, it would create nearly 10,000 new jobs in this country. We also know that manufacturing is on the rise in the U.S. As reported in June, U.S. manufacturers added nearly 500,000 jobs in the previous 26 months – the strongest growth for any 26 month period since 1995.

We understand the hard work and dedication that the committee puts into the planning and execution of each Olympics Games, and we appreciate the support of all the sponsors involved. We ask that the committee have the same pride in and deference towards America’s manufacturers, laborers and small businesses. With a line from your mission statement in mind – “to preserve the Olympic Ideals, thereby inspiring all Americans” – we look forward to seeing the all our uniforms saying Made In America at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia. Thank you for your attention to this urgent matter. We look forward to your prompt response and action.

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I hope this doesn’t cause a backlash toward American companies that may supply other countries’ Olympic teams with equipment or some other type of needed product.

mike_NC9 on July 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Adjoran on July 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Touche. Excellent point. If only a reporter would ask them, “As a person representing the United States of America, both here and abroad, are all of your suits and shoes made in the U.S.A.?”

(Like that’s going to happen. But, a gal can dream.)

4Grace on July 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Rocks on July 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM

So, you’re okay with the congress and the federal government telling a privately funded organization, the US Olympics, where their clothes must be made or, for that matter, where yours and my clothes must be made? Sounds kind of mandate-y to me.

I agree with your sentiment, but it is not the province of the federal government to be involved in this matter at all.

TXUS on July 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM