Quotes of the Day

posted at 9:15 pm on July 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Now, my understanding is that Mr. Romney attested to the SEC, multiple times, that he was the chairman, CEO and president of Bain Capital and I think most Americans figure if you are the chairman, CEO and president of a company that you are responsible for what that company does.

Ultimately Mr. Romney, I think, is going to have to answer those questions, because if he aspires to being president one of the things you learn is, you are ultimately responsible for the conduct of your operations, but again that’s probably a question that he’s going to have to answer and I think that’s a legitimate part of the campaign.

***

Okay then, so President Obama is responsible for: Solyndra, Fast and Furious, the GSA scandal…oh you fill in the rest.

***

Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter charged in a conference call with reporters this week that Romney “through his own words and his own signature was misrepresenting his position at Bain to the SEC, which is a felony,” or was otherwise “misrepresenting his position at Bain to the American people to avoid responsibility for some of the consequences of his investments.”

Presented with Cutter’s felony suggestion, Romney asked if that is “really what’s expected from the campaign of the sitting president of the United States?”

“Is this the level that the Obama campaign is willing to stoop to? Is this up to the standards expected of the presidency of the United States?” he asked. “It’s disgusting, it’s demeaning it’s something which I think the president should take responsibility for and stop.”

***

A day after some of the roughest charges and countercharges of the campaign so far, President Obama steered clear of any mention on Friday of questions surrounding Mitt Romney’s departure from Bain Capital.

Speaking to 1,400 supporters at a high school here, Mr. Obama voiced his familiar lament that “there is so much negativity and so much cynicism” in politics that he could understand if voters simply tuned out the election.

***

Now, are there any experts on the drugs laws of Hawaii, California, and New York out there? Before I call the president a felon for his admitted drug use, I want to make sure I’m accurate.

***

“What’s absolutely wrong and it should not be part of this and it’s tremendously disingenuous on the part of the administration and their team in this campaign is to say that things happened after Mitt Romney left Bain Capital as the executive and managing director when he went to rescue the Olympics,” McDonnell said.

The Virginia governor, who is a top campaign surrogate for Romney and is often mentioned as a potential vice presidential contender, said that attacks on Romney’s dealings with Bain post-1999 were “not fair.”

McDonnell called on the Obama campaign to take down any campaign ads leveling such attacks.

“That’s not honest and if he’s got those things on the ad, he needs to pull them,” the Virginia governor said.

***

***

Bain’s involvement in a company that disposed of aborted fetuses could make a powerful final week direct mail piece or attack ad on Christian radio. And in a close election, turnout of the religious right is one of the keys to a Romney victory in November.

Bain negotiated the Stericyle investment deal in November 1999, nine months after Romney said he left.

Bain’s investors pour money into numbered investment pools. Several sources said that Fund VII was the main investment vehicle at that time.

“You don’t see his name anywhere — in the meetings list, the investor documents, the manager paperwork — it would have to be there if he was involved in any way,” one current Bain officer said of Romney and Fund VII. “He was long gone then.”

Note: Allahpundit is on vacation from now until July 23rd.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

Slade
hahaha sorry your teams suck, remember the browns are here, that’s why I’ve been a Jets fan since 81………like Allah……….;-)

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM

for the people who didn’t get the joke :)

watch it, it’s funny and I swearsies it’s a clean link.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Gayveiw
because in the flyover states we get married to ppl of the opposite sex, you might not understand …..

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I am viewing from from above, a lot of repression in you. Do you know what projection is? Is that why you keep calling other people gay?

bayview on July 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM

hey, two of my pro teams made the playoffs this year. They choked of course but the Eagles will put it all together this year.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Is that why you keep calling other people gay?

bayview on July 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I do it cause I like a nice rounded male buttocks. Not that I’m gay or anything – like you are! Gaybers

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Anyway. Do not want to waste any more time here. It is morning, like what Thoreau ay, Enjoy your fraternity.

bayview on July 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Bayveiw
Please don’t let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya, if ya believe in GOD……….

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

like what Thoreau ay?

I wish I had the IQ to have any idea what that means

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I do it cause I like a nice rounded male buttocks.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM

LOL — WTH?

Ah, geez. Breaking. Need to … go find something to do. :) It’s obviously gonna be a weird, weird day for HA.

Axe on July 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Slade
eagles????? College?

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

hahahahaha

too much coffee this AM Axe, sorry about that one :)

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

“like what Thoreau said” — typo on “say” (if you really couldn’t make it out).

Axe on July 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Axe
isn’t it always ……….see ya later……;)

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM

angry mike – nah, pros :) don’t really have a college team since Penn State did some pretty effed up stuff, but the new playoff system could be interesting.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Note: Allahpundit is on vacation from now until July 23rd.

Martha’s Vineyard?

Akzed on July 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Axe
slade loves to hit’em where it hurts………hehe……..

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM

“like what Thoreau said” — typo on “say” (if you really couldn’t make it out).

Axe on July 14, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I made it out, I just love pointing out the genius level IQ’s grammar problems.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM

ED
Thanks for letting us know about Allah, don’t want to lose my fellow JETS fan……..

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM

JETS, JETS, JETS!

ya’ll should bench that loser for Tebow :)

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Do you think Allah peeks at HotAir while he’s on vacation? I hope he has the best time ever, meets the love of his life and she feels the same about him.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM

karenhasfreedom on July 14, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Congratulations, he sounds beautiful and I’m sure he’s a lucky cat to have been found by you.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Being a Texas Eagle fan is as bad as a Cleveland jet fan………. Tebow is a great change of pace but NOT an NFL qb……,..Sanchez will be fine, we have to go back to the ground game FIRST…..
How can you like Vick, the dog killer?

angrymike on July 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM

hehehehe…I’m a Texas transplant from Philly. I not in love with Vick but I emphasize with former criminals for some reason :) Dog fighting was a normal thing where he grew up.

Didn’t Tebow take the Broncos to the Champ game? He’s got that Jesus power, don’t underestimate him.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM

You didn’t sleep very long, Cindy!

Okay, I take it back, that was not good. I must admit up front that girl bands have limited appeal for me.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Do you like any girl bands?

Still, early Leon isn’t as frightening as early Willie Nelson.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 4:26 AM

lol it’s hard to argue against that! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM

there was a Futurama movie called Bender’s Game where the Dixie Chicks were all melded together into a freak girl band. I liked that one.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Funniest post of the day from Ace

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Guess this means you didn’t hit the road. Looks like some of the boys spent some quality time bonding on this thread.

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I sincerely hope AP finds solace in his atheism with his atheist cat.

Keep being awesome AP, and enjoy the HoJo’s vacation with a swimming pool, Obama style :)

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Nope, more puppy issues (and things the husband didn’t get done), tomorrow might be the day. I’ll believe it when I hit I-95.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 10:54 AM

“Well, here’s what I know, we were just talking about responsibility and as president of the United States, it’s pretty clear to me that I’m responsible for folks who are working in the federal government and you know, Harry Truman said the buck stops with you.”

(insert pic of a disillusioned Obozo supporter here):

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on July 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I take naps!!! I don’t know how to explain the girl band thing, obvious there are great voices out there but since I lean towards big music, they don’t often sync. I think it’s more of a pop thing, not a fan. But then I don’t like pop guy bands either. I’m just weird and I’ve accepted it.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Bookmarked it. Thanks.

thatsafactjack on July 14, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I bookmarked it, too! I want to hear more from this guy.

4Grace on July 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Thanks for listening, and thanks for your comments. Stay tuned…

de rigueur on July 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Naps are very important. They will keep you young.

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The song, the performer, the video itself– whatever elicits a reaction. Will have to check in later. Thanks.

de rigueur on July 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I noticed you came back to pick up the reviews. The song, is average okay I suppose, no accounting for taste don’t forget. The video is good, nice to see the dissolve of the lead part over the main part. Single bank with hair light works fine. Sound quality is excellent. The performer, seems okay, nothing earth shattering. Good thing there is self production these days. On balance a fine little tune. As with most musicians I wish he wasn’t a lib. But I have always tolerated the fact that musicians, though descent with rhyme, are not deep thinkers. How did I do,? Too harsh, too honest, not hot enough on it? ; )

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hello, peeps. Obama’s living in a glass house.

kingsjester on July 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Oh and de rigueur, you didn’t ask, but because I like you. I’ll throw this other observation at you for no charge. Not like you’re paying me much for this short critique anyway. The website was very well done. ; )

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Hello, peeps. Obama’s living in a glass house.

kingsjester on July 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I have stones. ; )

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM

kingsjester on July 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Nice to see I’m not the only one who lifts photoshop art from there for their blog. ; )

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I hope Rmoney does.

kingsjester on July 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I just go to Bing and search for the image I want.:)

kingsjester on July 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Too harsh, too honest, not hot enough on it? ; )

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM

No, no, all good. In fact, the techies will be thrilled. Thanks. (And apologies if I’ve overlooked others’ comments.)

de rigueur on July 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Just clicked on this post. Some questions/observations:

#1:

I do it cause I like a nice rounded male buttocks.

Slade73 on July 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Dude.

#2. How is the QOTD 9 pages long? Did Dr. Tesla make a guest appearance somewhere in the middle?

#3. Does the answer to Question #2 have something to do with Observation #1?

RINO in Name Only on July 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Meh, never mind, I guess it must be a Friday thing – I see some of the other QOTD threads are pretty long on other Friday nights.

Still, I stand by Observation #1.

RINO in Name Only on July 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

One word comes to mind : Corzine.

pat on July 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM

If Obama wins it is Mcain’s fault. Mcain is the guy who allowed Obama to skate free past Wright and Ayers. Now it’s 4 years too late. So BAin is fair game but BO’s past can no longer be touched. It’s ground that Mcain surrendered. Mcain f’f up 2 elections for the GOP.

BoxHead1 on July 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

RINO in Name Only on July 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

LOL! Oddly enough Dr. T did not stop by. I think it is safe to say that this thread is all over the map.

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Cindy Munford on July 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Maps can help you get places, naps will help keep you young.

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM

eh, and it was said bain attacks were out of bounds in the primaries…

nathor on July 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM

For what its worth nathor, they won’t work in this instance either.

Bmore on July 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM