Obama spokesperson: Er, yeah, maybe jumping on that “felony” thing was a little hasty

posted at 5:21 pm on July 13, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As I posted earlier, the hot new liberal-attack meme, Could Romney Be An Actual Felon?, is already old and busted, and now Team Obama just looks pathetically desperate. I want to be very careful about underestimating Obama’s campaign, but the fact that they so quickly and unscrupulously seized on something so wildly dubious makes me wonder whether they’ve got any new attack-ideas left in reserve for the long haul to November.

While I highly doubt that Mitt Romney will receive the straightforward apology for which he asked yesterday after Team Obama decided to run with the “felony” thing, at least one Obama campaign spokeswoman tried to create some distance from it. An actual apology would be admission of misconduct, so that’s obviously a no-go,but maybe if they just back away, real slow and quiet-like, nobody will notice:

President Obama’s campaign spokeswoman on Air Force One backed away from yesterday’s suggestion that Mitt Romney had committed “a felony” by allegedly misrepresenting his relationship with Bain Capital on documents submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

“[I]f he did violate, if he did mislead the SEC, there could be — that could raise questions, there could be legal questions that are raised about that,” Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki said today.  “We’re not the ones who can answer that.”

You certainly could answer that — by oh, I don’t know, checking the facts, maybe — but if you don’t want to answer that, then don’t jump on the media bandwagon that’s insinuating it.

Obama surrogate Ed Rendell, the former Pennsylvania governor who’s been known to answer questions about Team O’s attacks on Mitt Romney just a little too truthfully for their tastes, conceded as much on MSNBC this morning. “…All this attack may be hurting the president’s brand a little bit, too. Like, I think our supporters went a little bit too far with the felony business. … I’m not sure it does us well to be saying it. It’s okay if the press says it.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Stephanie Cutter Apologizes – kind of

Fixed it – Sorry

koaiko on July 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Check out DRUDGE now!

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Fixed it – Sorry

koaiko on July 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Well….Uh…..That was….uh…interesting

Night Owl on July 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

And who pays attention to Ben Stein?

Buehler? Buehler?

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM

LoLz!..Good one!..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

koaiko on July 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on July 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

cmsinaz on July 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Fixed it – Sorry

koaiko on July 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Well….Uh…..That was….uh…interesting

Night Owl on July 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I think the alphabets will be showing it after the second break

koaiko on July 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Dire Straits on July 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

*clink*

time to boogie oogie oogie :)

cmsinaz on July 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM

cmsinaz on July 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM

+ 100..Sounds good!..:)

Dire Straits on July 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

koaiko on July 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I especially liked how she called her own big donors bastards. All I can say is if these are the people we are up against, I like our chances!

Night Owl on July 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Night Owl on July 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM

That isn’t really Stephanie Cutter, it is satire. But from what I know about her, it probably isn’t too far off the mark.

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Liberals = Hypocrites

g2825m on July 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Oops, I don’t watch TV much- LOL Hey, I left you a message on the QOTD this morning. I put Firefox on my computer. Does it auto-refresh? If it does, can you give me those instructions again? I couldn’t find anyplace in “tools” to change it.

Night Owl on July 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Night Owl on July 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Here ya go. :-)

How to Disable Web Page Auto-Refresh For Various Browsers

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM

But today it is really cute. The woman stepped in so deep she won’t even have to be thrown under the bus. Felony “stupid”.

koaiko on July 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Here ya go. :-)

How to Disable Web Page Auto-Refresh For Various Browsers

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

haha typical gov’t computers as DoD blocks the site out here for me…

“Thanks, for nothin’” as the famous movie quote goes… :o)

g2825m on July 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

haha typical gov’t computers as DoD blocks the site out here for me…

“Thanks, for nothin’” as the famous movie quote goes… :o)

g2825m on July 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM

In Firefox, go to Preferences -> Advanced. In the General tab, check the box “Warn me when the web sites try to redirect or reload the page“.

In IE 7 & 8, go to “Tools -> Internet Options -> Security“, click on the Custom Level button.

Scroll down the list until you see the entry “Allow META REFRESH”. Select “Disable”

In Opera, go to “Preferences -> Advanced” and click on the “Network” entry. Uncheck the box “Enable Automatic Redirection”.

No such “Stop auto refresh”option in Google chrome settings at this time.

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

cmsinaz on July 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

A lot of it.

If a little is good, then a lot would be better. :)

PatriotGal2257 on July 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Here ya go. :-)

How to Disable Web Page Auto-Refresh For Various Browsers

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Thank you very much! I had Google Chrome but I didn’t like it, and IE is so slow I thought I’d try this. So far, so good!

Night Owl on July 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Check out DRUDGE now!

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

1. HAPPY to see how Romney’s speaking about this Bain attack..
2. The right is blamed for the O worker’s death in 3..2..

pambi on July 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Check out DRUDGE now!

Flora Duh on July 13, 2012 at 6:48 PM

1. HAPPY to see how Romney’s speaking about this Bain attack..
2. The right is blamed for the O worker’s death in 3..2..

pambi on July 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

My first thought on the worker, -was he gay?

slickwillie2001 on July 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM

My first thought on the worker, -was he gay?

slickwillie2001 on July 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Sad, dude.

pambi on July 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM

July 13, 2012 6:00 PM
Romney: Obama owes me an apology
*********************************

(CBS News) President Obama should apologize for his campaign’s suggestion that Mitt Romney is either a criminal or a liar, the presumptive GOP nominee told CBS News’ Jan Crawford in an interview Friday.

The president “ought to apologize for what he’s doing,” Romney told Crawford. The former Massachusetts governor sat down with all five networks one day after Mr. Obama’s deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter posed two damning outcomes for the former Massachusetts governor from Thursday’s Boston Globe story, which alleged that Romney continued to head the private equity firm Bain Capital three years after he claimed to have left.

Cutter said in a conference call Thursday with reporters that if the allegations are true, then Romney is either a felon for “misrepresenting his position at Bain” to the Securities and Exchange Commission, or “he was lying to the American people.”(More….)
==========

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Romney: No role in Bain Capital management after 1999 but was still a shareholder – @AP

Submitted 1 hour ago by editor

canopfor on July 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM

1. HAPPY to see how Romney’s speaking about this Bain attack..
2. The right is blamed for the O worker’s death in 3..2..

pambi on July 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Actually, I’m pretty sure Sarah Palin’s bullseye map is what killed that O worker. She should just shut up.

Harbingeing on July 13, 2012 at 8:03 PM

this has the smell of the “bush national guard” thing.

i guarantee that the left will seethe and ruminate and nurture this thing until it ends in a reprise of the killian documents.

eh on July 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It’s hopeless to defend the steady barrage of lies and false accusations coming from Obama and his communist supporters. There are unlimited lies and it takes too much time and energy to respond to each one. It allows them to keep the focus away from their failed policies. My strategy would be: Spotlight/Attack/Solution..Spotlight/Attack/Solution! Take it to the American people and let them decide. One will never succeed by trying to placate the communists by trying to offer a lighter version of their looney bizarre views. The model and inspiration of this is Michelle Malkin!!Thousand more need to join her in blowing the whistle on the attempted Communist/Muslim/Totalitarian takeover of the U.S. Americans know that a sinking ship takes us all down regardless of class, race, religion, sex, etc. No class warfare. Appeal to Americans! Let’s have an election!!

Marco on July 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Obama was just showin’ off, cuz let’s face it–he knows and has dealt with many, many felons and might be one himself. Pot meet kettle, but are they really black or just mixed-race?

stukinIL4now on July 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Speaking of felons, how’s Tony Rezko and Rod Blagojevich doin’ these days?

olesparkie on July 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM