The “Don’t trust anyone over 30″ generation is now robbing everyone under 30

posted at 1:21 pm on July 12, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Almost fifty years ago, teenagers and young adults proclaimed, “Don’t trust anyone over 30!”  These days, though, the same generation seems intent on impoverishing everyone under 30 now, as Nick Gillespie argues at Reason.  From ObamaCare to efforts at reimposing a draft for military or national service to the refusal to address the obvious entitlement collapse rapidly approaching, the generation that sang “hope I die before I get old” seems more content to use its grandchildren as ATMs in their final years  (via Instapundit):

You’re not getting screwed by billionaires and plutocrats. You’re getting screwed by Mom and Dad.

Systematically and in all sorts of ways. Old people are doing everything possible to rob you of your money, your future, your dignity, and your freedom.

Here’s the irony, too (in a sort of Alanis Morissette sense): You’re getting hosed by the very same group that 45 years ago was bitching and moaning about “the generation gap” and how their parents just didn’t understand what really mattered in life.

You mean the generation that rebelled at the imposition of a draft in order to properly resource an unpopular war? Er …

Did you read that New York Times op-ed that called for a brand-spankin’ new military draft and national service plan? “Let’s Draft Our Kids,” by veteran (read: old, born in 1955) journalist Thomas Ricks, is symptomatic of the new vibe, a kind of reverse Logan’s Run scenario. In that godawful 1976 flick, when you turned 30, you were killed for the common good. Nowadays, it’s more like life begins at 30. Which is confusing because 40 is the new 30 and 50 is the new 40 and on and on. The important thing: Youth is no longer to be wasted on the young.

Neither are the resources of youth:

But here’s the real rub, kids: You’re getting screwed by Social Security, a program that is now more sacrosanct to aging boomers than Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. You’re paying more into the system than you’re ever going to get out. No wonder it’s mandatory. C. Eugene Steuerle and Stephanie Rennane put out a study for the Urban Institute last summer that should have caused far more riots than anything that happened at Zuccotti Park. They document that folks making average wages who retired in 2010 will get a raw deal over the coming decades. The deal will only get worse if you retire in, say, 2030. Read it and weep, kids, and don’t believe it when old people who are either already on Social Security or about to join that club tell you it’s part of a generational bargain that can’t be changed even if retirees are totally wealthy compared to you.

An even better example, one which Nick doesn’t use but is much more immediate and clear, is ObamaCare.  True, the law mandates that insurance companies keep “children” on their parents’ policies until the age of 26.  At that point, though, the law forces adults to purchase expensive comprehensive policies that make financial sense for few adults below middle age, if then.  A comprehensive policy in Minnesota cost an average of $32oo a year, with a moderate deductible but 100% coverage for “wellness” services.  In a free market with price signals that actually reach consumers, those activities might cost $500 a year, but probably significantly less.

A hospitalization policy combined with HSAs would make much better financial sense for young adults, cost less, and would lower insurance companies’ overhead by reducing their role in routine health-care activities.  That, however, would force insurance companies to charge much more for comprehensive insurance policies to middle-age consumers.  ObamaCare forces young adults to spend much more than necessary — and far more than they receive in services — in order to subsidize the costs of comprehensive insurance to pre-Medicare older adults.

Younger voters have to bear a lot of the responsibility for their plight, since they enthusiastically supported Barack Obama in 2008, ensuring his election.  Perhaps four years of economic stagnation and pocket-picking will make them wiser this time around.

Update: Got my overs and unders confused on the headline — it’s fixed now, and in the post, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh Yeah, and while I’m ranting:

These ‘young people’ are the most OVER PROTECTED, OVER VALUED, OVER INDULGED, and OVER RATED in the history of mankind. They’ve been fed, coddled, patted on the head, feted, chauffeured to soccer games, cub scouts, piano lessons, french lessons, ballet class, given ipods, $200 sneakers, E-tablets, computers, televisions, and ever gizmo or gadget and designer label that their parents could afford. WHO did this to them? Mostly BOOMERS and BOOMER’S BRATS.

They’ve never faced a real challenge in their lives. They’ve sleep walked though what passes for an education these day. I just read that in California, at the University of California campuses its become the norm to take 6 years to get a four year degree and about half never manage to get the degree even after racking up 6 years of student loans. This is astonishing since they get to take boutique classes like ‘Marvel Comics’ for credit to graduate. However, don’t worry, they don’t have to take ANY American History or Economics! Over 40% didn’t even know that George Washington was the first president of the United States when asked!

So… if Boomers are waiting for THESE people to step up and take care of their elders… I’d advise all Boomers not physically disabled to KEEP THEIR JOBS until they’re carried out FEET FIRST!

thatsafactjack on July 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Dying in the wilderness. Headed your way.

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Logan’s Run?

trigon on July 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

“Woke up this morning, my head was so bad
The worst hangover that I ever had
What happened to me last night
That girl of mine, she loved me so right (yeah!) (oh, oh)
She loved me so long and she loved me so hard
I finally passed out in her front yard (whoo!)
It wasn’t wine that I had too much of
It was a double shot of my baby’s love”

The Swingin’ Medallions

“There is no pain you are receding
A distant ship, smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can’t hear what you’re saying.
When I was a child I had a fever
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I’ve got that feeling once again
I can’t explain you would not understand
This is not how I am.
I have become comfortably numb.”

Pink Floyd

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Those under 30′s set themselves up to be robbed by voting mindlessly and unchangingly for the Democrats.

I’m a Baby Boomer (60) and I’m for rationalizing the welfare state because I’m AGAINST screwing the under 30s. Yeah, as the “What’s the Matter with Kansas” nitwit would say, I’m voting against my own interest. But the concept of “enlightened self-interest” is totally alien to the Left. We CANNOT have a civil society if one group is going to use its voting power to pilfer from other groups. Well, maybe I’m just wallowing in the tired, old way of doing things….

Marxism is for dummies on July 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Dying in the wilderness. Headed your way.

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Logan’s Run?

trigon on July 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

There is NO sanctuary.

Only soylent green (sp?)

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Archangelic. One.

I am so sorry.

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I almost 61 but really have no sympathy for young people. After all, they’re the ones who worshiped and still worship the messiah. They’re knowingly voting for their own executioner. So tell me, why should I feel sympathy?

BillCarson on July 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

gwelf on July 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM

They are feeling the pain. They just believe the BS that it’s all Bush’s fault as if no economy could ever recover after a Bush term in office LOL.

This is the line of hooey they are buying into. Never mind that the U.S. economy has recovered from down turns in the past, and at a faster rate… never mind- Bush lied people died, and it’s, because of the wars we’re poor.

It’s not because Pelosi picked up the gavel in 2007 (The House of Representatives is where all the government spending starts). Wasn’t there just a post where Pelosi made a butt load of money from off shoring jobs? Time to draw another Hitler mustache on George W Bush, and blame him for off shoring/

Pelosi made up to $5 million by … offshoring?

Dr Evil on July 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

BillCarson on July 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Cause……”MONEY CAN’T BUY ME LOVE”.

And. “WILL YOU STILL NEED ME”‘ , probably not. But you’ll need them, Eleanor Rigby

(this is getting old)

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Did boomers grow up with the expectation that the government would pay for their healthcare after retirement and supplement their retirement (and that they would live around 20 years with such an arrangement)?

That is part of what most were led to believe from our glorious political leaders. That, and many were also lulled into trustingly believe that we would retire after 20 or so years of dedicated service to a loyal and appreciative employer who would graciously and generously provide a solid retirement and health care package to make our retirement worry free, secure and comfortable.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I have become comfortably numb.”

Pink Floyd

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I’m travelin’ down the road and I’m flirtin’ with disaster
I’ve got the pedal to the floor and my life is running faster
I’m outta money outta hope it looks like self destruction
Well how much more can we take with all of this corruption

We’re flirtin’ with disaster, ya’ll know what I mean
And the way we run our lives it makes no sense to me
I don’t know about yourself or what you wanna to be, yeah
When we gamble with our time we choose our destiny

I’m travelin’ down that lonesome road.
Feel like I’m draggin a heavy load.
Yet I’ve tried to turn my head away,
Feel about the same most every day
You know what I’m talkin about man

We got our sights set straight ahead but I ain’t sure what we’re after

Flirting with Disaster

Molly Hatchet.

Dr Evil on July 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Would that be before, or, after the unions started striking, threatening the very existence of those said same employers?

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Actually, it’s funny how much the unions and progressives think alike. almost like they were soulmates or something

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

The earlier Baby Boomers went to Woodstock.
The later Baby Boomers were in grade school and have no memory of Woodstock whatsoever.

The Baby Boom is divided into two distinct generations.

Early Baby Boomers are retiring and collecting Social Security and Medicare. Later Baby Boomers have no expectations that those programs will even exist when they retire.

The later Baby Boomers have been mopping up after their older brothers and sisters for their entire lives, still working and paying taxes into a system that is bankrupt.

To hear some 30 year old whine about the “Baby Boomers” makes me laugh.

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hmmm, likely be before and concurrently. Unions helped cook the golden goose.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

My three sisters are just pre-boomers, born between ’41-’44. Lucky me, I came along 10 years after the last sister. All are happily, for now, living in retirement, but concerned about economic threats to that lifestyle they’ve been enjoying for the past several years. I only can hope to make it to retirement financially intact, but may be in end up in a position that has me resort to hunting, gathering, foraging and scavenging in my retirement.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hmmm, likely be before and concurrently. Unions helped cook the golden goose.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 3:38 PM

So, all that’s left now is to pass the popcorn and sauce for the gander, and make the best of what hopefully comes soon.

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Bill – that is a fair statement – but how did WE allow the schools to teach such pablum that they listen to a guy like Obama with zero suspicion?

I presume you are all for SS and Medicare continuing with few changes – if not, I congratulate you. You are in the minority even amongst the Tea Partiers.

The modern statist politician, mostly a prog dem but not exclusively so, thinks they can save the world. SO instead of putting up a few safety nets and rules of the road they keep pushing. More rules, more laws, more welfare. The last economic collapse we had of this magnitude (the Depression) resulted in everyone deciding to turn to govt – even though they helped create the disaster and were almost solely responsible for continuing the suffering – for a fricking decade!!

If you vote for a dem – any dem – you are supporting continued playing of interest against interest with bribes to buy votes! Why, because they will vote with Pelsi and Reid, who are both hypocrites of the highest order – Nancy probably criminally so.

The reason jobs are scarce is because the prog lib has made it too expensive to hire anyone – and this after the US’s productivity superiority is bring jobs back. A business is in business to make a profit – not supply you a job.

Zomcon JEM on July 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Zomcon

Do you suppose (dare hope) that in watching the Europeans vote for one feckless government shortly after another, we are actually watching the Liberals worst nightmare come true? People coming to the realization that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and Big Government can’t change that?

WryTrvllr on July 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Perhaps if you slapped some sense into your older “siblings” we wouldn’t be in this mess.
At least Xers and the under thirty have to guts to repudiate Boomer stupidity.

LincolntheHun on July 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The Trees, by Rush:

There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees,
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,
(And they’re quite convinced the’re right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light.
But the oaks can’t help their feelings
If they like the way they’re made.
And they wonder why the maples
Can’t be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the Forest,
And the Creatures all have fled,
As the Maples scream oppression,
And the Oaks just shake their heads.

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
“These oaks are just too greedy;
We will make them give us light.”
Now there’s no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Ed, you chump. Logan’s Run was AWESOME!

misterpeasea on July 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM

And you guys BELIEVED that!!???

How is that different than the young peeps believing that Obama will pull some unicorn money from his stash and make all their cares go away without taxing then for it?

I constantly think about this for firefighters etc. who were promised unicorn rainbows forever when they retired. One one hand, they bought a lie and I feel for them because they were lied to. On the other hand, you don;t have to be Einstein to look into the future and do the math to see that the government can;t pay for new firefighters and pay for multiple generations of retired firefighters at the same time. Welcome to realville!

Free Indeed on July 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

At least Xers and the under thirty have to guts to repudiate Boomer stupidity.

LincolntheHun on July 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Heh. Tried many times, being the baby in the family (youngest of 6 kids), guess who got slapped.

I didn’t go to grade school with my oldest sister, I went to grade school with her daughter. Guess which generation I identified with.

I don’t like all of this inter-generational squabling, we’re all in this together.

My main comlaint with this subject is the title of this arcticle:

The “Don’t trust anyone over 30″ generation is now robbing everyone under 30

….manipulative, deceptive and devisive.

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM

being the baby in the family (youngest of 6 kids),

BTW, the only boy.

I have issues.

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM

The under 30 crowd votes heavily Dem.

The nation is on a path to commit financial and economic suicide and a majority of the under 30 crowd are voting to stay the course.

It is mostly people over 30 who are trying to assemble a majority coalition to stop the madness.

farsighted on July 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Baby Boomers like to think they are still young. Many are retired and want whats theirs, because that was the crap they were promised.

They use a terrible excuse of “young people vote Dem, so let’s screw’em!”m but fail to realize a much great er percentage of people over 30 vote. Also, by that definition, many conservatives under 30 are lumped in with the bad crowd.

You are only hurting your own children. That’s fine, whatever. History will say the Boomers were unwilling or unable to perform the life saving operation to save this country. Once it all falls apart the under 30′s will fix it for ya.

My grandparents tell me they are happy they won’t live to see it. I feel many Boomer’s (who claim to be younger and younger as time goes on), secretly agree. Thus they lash out at the young to distract from their own self-guilt.

antisense on July 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM

The under 30 crowd votes heavily Dem.

farsighted on July 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Then why is SS the third rail of politics? Why do most of the young people who are totally libs think SS won’t be there for them?

If its the older crowd trying to reform SS then why wasn’t it done already, since it is commonly known they are the largest voting bloc?

antisense on July 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM

The earlier Baby Boomers went to Woodstock.

The Baby Boom is divided into two distinct generations.

To hear some 30 year old whine about the “Baby Boomers” makes me laugh.

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I was a slightly more aware child (I was 9 when Woodstock happened and begged the folks to let me go – oddly, they said no) so I have the distinct privilege of both remembering Woodstock in my 9-year-old way and also cleaning up after people who are older than me and paying into a system I know will never benefit me.

It also never occurred to me that I would NOT work for the same company for my whole career. It was widely believed to be normal, and until recently it was. Now, it’s common to “job hop”. When I first started out after college, to job hop was considered less than seemly.

I feel old today.

chelie on July 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM

*shrug* Old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill.

My collie says:

I’m googling, but I seem to be having some trouble finding the origins of that phrase.

It just might pre-date written history, collie.

CyberCipher on July 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM

It was always a pyramid scheme. It worked at first because there were more than enough workers and tax revenues to pay for the retirees. The scales began to tip drastically as retirees lived well past 20+ years after retirement with defined benefits that had COLAs and some that included paid for health care, smaller workforces because of layoffs, forced by tax revenues misspent all over the place and skyrocketing overspending, and many who manipulated the rules to cash out big time on pensions that far exceeded their average annual salaries.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM

It was always a pyramid scheme.

The problem of the Baby Boom reaching retirement age was identified as early as 1980.
Congress has had more than 30 FREAKING YEARS to address this issue.

They didn’t.

They also squandered the money.

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM

antisense on July 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Precisely which of the three statements I made are you taking issue with?

All three are factual.

farsighted on July 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Oh Yeah, and while I’m ranting:

thatsafactjack on July 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Ooooh, I-pods? Sneakers? You boomers are so generous.

Say, why did my boomer parents have their college paid for, but I had to take out loans from the gov’t? Oh, that’s right, my boomer parents were broke from remortgaging the house for a second time to buy a boat and a harley davidson.

You freaking boomers take the cake.

You were the “me” generation, and now you bristle at being called short sighted and selfish.

Oooh, I-pads? Piano lessons? How many piano lessons equal that caddie with the dead head sticker on it?

Face it, you squandered your superior parent’s generation’s money on yourselves, you remortgaged all your sh!t to buy new toys, now you have no retirement saved, and you want your kids and grandkids to pay for it all.

Say, who made Apple so successful buying all that overpriced Apple sh!t in the first place? Gen X? Y? Nope. You. Oh, but it was so hip, so cool, it went well with your golf clubs and your fishing gear. Now you have to pay the piper, and what do you do? “Waaahhh, I want social security, I want medicare, waahhhh”, even though you’ve known since you became an adult that your children would never have it.

Rant? Please. Yeah, you were so good to us, leaving us a bankrupt country. Enjoy your days at “Looming Sunset” nursing home, and wonder why nobody ever visits you.

underemployed on July 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Congress has had more than 30 FREAKING YEARS to address this issue.

They didn’t.

They also squandered the money.

MichaelGabriel on July 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Uh-huh…the problem was anticipated 30 years ago, but the 1983 SS Reform Act actually did address the issue of retiring Boomers. FICA tax rates were raised and the eligible age for benefits was raised from 65 to 67. Baby Boomers were told in 1983, that in exchange for giving the government trillions of dollars more than was necessary to meet its ongoing Social Security obligations, Baby Boomers would be sure to get the system’s promised benefits when they retired. In other words, we’ve been paying for ourselves for 30 years.

lynncgb on July 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

The “Don’t trust anyone over 30″ generation is now robbing everyone under 30

Exactly… and when did the ‘stay outta my bedroom/womb/_______’ crowd become the ‘we want government in every part of our HC/choices/______’ mob?

RalphyBoy on July 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM

The under 30 crowd votes heavily Dem.

The nation is on a path to commit financial and economic suicide and a majority of the under 30 crowd are voting to stay the course…

farsighted on July 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Behold! The miracle of liberal indoctrination! A generation of mushy-brained sociopaths.

Mmmm mmmm mmmm…

the_souse on July 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

The “Don’t trust anyone over 30″ generation is now robbing everyone under 30

And that’s why you can’t trust anyone over 30. Duh.

Herb on July 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

The “Don’t trust anyone over thirty” line goes back at least as far as Goethe’s Faust.

stillings on July 13, 2012 at 11:12 AM

BillCarson on July 12, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Because not all of us voted for him.

RDE2010 on July 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM