Hot Air Survey: July VP Results

posted at 10:41 am on July 12, 2012 by Patrick Ishmael

For the second survey in a row, Bobby Jindal takes the top spot in the VP preference poll. Marco Rubio again takes second. Paul Ryan moves into third ahead of fourth-place holding Allen West, and Condoleezza Rice holds on to fifth.

Readers are still pretty high on Mitt Romney’s chances.

Here’s how the electoral vote predictions were distributed. 270 would be a Romney win.

Demographics were consistent, as is almost always the case. Representative sample of the readership.

Questions? You can find me here.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

As long as I don’t have to listen to Bobby make a speech……….

bflat879 on July 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I voted for Christie because he is a bulldog and we need fighters. He is a bit of a RINO but that will appeal to the Indy’s and a few Dems. Having said that I’ll be happy with Jindal, West, or Ryan. Good men all.

neyney on July 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Paul Ryan moves into third

So my vote DOES count! :-D

SouthernGent on July 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Paul Ryan moves into third

So my vote DOES count! :-D

SouthernGent on July 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Suck it, libs.

Common Sense Floridian on July 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Bobby’s a good man.

kingsjester on July 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Electoral vote: 400.

Akzed on July 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

As long as I don’t have to listen to Bobby make a speech……….

bflat879 on July 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Jindal just had a bad day. He probably listened to a bunch of “experts,” and let them “fix” his speech, and then suffered the consequences of their ineptitude. That happened to Reagan in his first debate with Mondale. Then, he had to shine in the second debate, and did.

RBMN on July 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I’d be more concerned about the results of this polling if it weren’t for the fact that the presidential HA polls were all also, shall we just say, not correct in predicting the eventually GOP nominee.

thatsafactjack on July 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Gee, we HotGassers certainly are a racist bunch. Only one lily-white choice in the top 5? Suck it, libs. Common Sense Floridian on July 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Good get!

I didn’t even notice that, so I must be even less racist than you.

Akzed on July 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

As long as I don’t have to listen to Bobby make a speech……….

bflat879 on July 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Don’t let the SOTU rebuttal fool you. The dude can actually give a speech. Listen to some of his other speeches and you’ll know what I’m talking about. With that said, if he is chosen, the low expectations will only help him at the convention.

GOPRanknFile on July 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

JINDAL

cmsinaz on July 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I’d be satisfied with West or Ryan (a greater loss in the House than West).

Do you good folks remember all the hubbub out there about a certain President’s qualifications on the basis of the Natural Born Citizen requirement?

Remember how there was curiously a push, oh, about 10 years ago, on the Republican side, to set aside this qualifier for a certain swoon-at-the-moment Schwarzennegger?

As much as I admire them as persuasive, effective politicians, if you don’t want to be responsible for making yet another part of our Constitution null and void, both Jindal and Rubio must be taken out of consideration for the job.

Put wishful thinking aside.

Czar of Defenestration on July 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM

RBMN on July 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Bingo.

Jindal is my pick as well. He’ll wipe the floor with Stimulus Sheriff Joe…

Common Sense Floridian on July 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Col. West is a great man, but the establishment may be uncomfortable with how he shoots from the hip.

kingsjester on July 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I really like Paul Ryan, but I don’t want him as VP.

My reasoning is simple:
We need a “grown-up” on Capitol Hill. Paul Ryan is that “grown up.”

You can’t concentrate all your political talent in one branch.

J_Crater on July 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Suck it, libs.

Common Sense Floridian on July 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

LOL. But Paul Ryan is, as you say, lily- white. In other words, really, really, really white. I mean, they don’t come much whiter than Paul Ryan. So this nullifies the total sum of ‘diversity’ from the other four picks. In short, we’re still racists.

LetsBfrank on July 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

piyush ‘volcano’ jindal lol.

sesquipedalian on July 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Condaleeza Rice is PRO-CHOICE. Good way to turn off the base.

teri_b on July 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I voted Jindal, he’s an experienced capable governor and a good campaigner. I like the less experienced Rubio and if he could guarantee Florida by all means go for it. I’m a Paul Ryan fan but I buy into his very own argument–we are better served with him in the House leadership.

cartooner on July 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I voted for West for VP but will be VERY VERY happy if Bobby is VP.

Bobby can attack Obamacare like no other VP can. It will be hard for the liberal media to make Bobby stupid like they will do to other VP.

BroncosRock on July 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM

LetsBfrank on July 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Maybe, but Paul Ryan gets cuteness points, so we’re racists with good taste in men!

Valkyriepundit on July 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I like Jindal… and would prefer him to get the rest of his seasoning done as Governor. He puts into play the Indian immigrant storyline and that shouldn’t be slipped into the VP slot but brought forward on how legal immigration with immigrants wanting to be Americans builds this Nation and makes it stronger. This is an important part of the body politic as the US has picked up many immigrants from the sub-continent who wish to escape the caste system and be in a place where your name or ethnic lineage does not consign you to a status place in life.

Basically I still went with the ‘he won’t outshine Romney, will do no wrong’ Tim Pawlenty as he puts some of the north-central area into focus. After Walker in WI (and he needs to stay there to co what he was elected, twice, to do) the idea of spreading that social outlook into the rest of the region becomes a vital one.

The Tea Party freshmen need to become sophomores, establish their anti-establishment creds and start pulling the rest of the GOP away from the old guard that is now seeing the end of its era approaching. In four more years some of those candidates will be ready to step up to the plate and continue the process of restoring our liberty by reigning in government… and good Governors will play a huge role in that. And as the Senate may play the single deciding role for the next two years, keeping members in that body is vital, although replacement of the old guard needs to go on there, too… Mitch McConnell is far too fond of the old politics and needs to find that his way of doing things is no longer the right way to do them. Thus any picks are tempered by not wanting a young, fresh face at VP but someone relatively solid that will do no harm and really doesn’t have a career ahead of them any more.

ajacksonian on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

All poor choices.

Jindal and Rubio are not natural born citizens, and do not meet the Constitutional requirements of the 12th Amendment.

Ryan is a big government lover who has fooled people into thinking he’s some type of financial conservative/financial guru.

West is another big government lover, voting to continue the fraudulent Pigford payouts, voting to increase the debt ceiling, and telling citizens to shut up for criticizing government.

Rice is another neoconservative. No thanks. We’ve had plenty of those and have seen the results of their dangerous, decadent ideology.

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Want to know the democrat strategy for immigration enforcement?

Here it is:

Demographic change is the silver lining for Obama in these shifting patterns of political support. As recently as 1992, non-college whites cast an absolute 53 majority of all votes, and minorities just 12 percent, with college whites contributing the remaining 35 percent. By 2008, minorities had increased to 26 percent and non-college whites fallen sharply to 39 percent of the votes, with college whites holding steady at 35 percent, according to the exit polls.

I should say…lack of immigration enforcement.

BobMbx on July 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Czar of Defenestration on July 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I thought Jindal was born in Baton Rouge?

bernzright777 on July 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

kingsjester on July 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I didn’t pick West, but you make a good point, I may have to reconsider.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Suck it, libs.

Common Sense Floridian on July 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Have the Republicans ever been so out of the mainstream?

Rice and West are not authentically black, Rubio is a coconut, Jindal’s Republican Taliban, and Ryan is serial granny killer.

/Chris Matthews

CorporatePiggy on July 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

So Dante, who’s your pick for the ticket?

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

We don’t need the Constitution anymore. Especially that 12th amendment mumbo jumbo.

LetsBfrank on July 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Czar of Defenestration on July 12, 2012

Jindal was born in the United States. Jindal has already released his Birth Certificate.

PrettyD_Vicious on July 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

bernzright777 on July 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I refer to his parents, as those of Sen. Rubio, who are legal immigrants but not American citizens.

Such a “push” for Jindal or Rubio on the part of Republicans would therefore logically open the floodgates and legitimize the eventual running of a anchor babies of illegals for the Presidency.

NO THANKS!

Czar of Defenestration on July 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I live in Louisiana and know Bobby Jindal. Bobby Jindal was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He meets the qualifications to be Vice President or President of the United States. Damn!

Seaplane Driver on July 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

LOL, glad to see that establishment hack loser Portman not even finishing in the Top Ten.

Norwegian on July 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

That bench: Jindal, Ryan, Rubio, West, Walker, et al., is very encouraging.

TitularHead on July 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m confused at how many minorities are at the top of that list. Republicans must be really playing the long game with this racism thing.

BadgerHawk on July 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Sorry, but Portman just ain’t doin’ it.

Mitt, you’re a fool if you pick him.

Abby Adams on July 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Czar of Defenestration on July 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM

You’re off base, his parents were LEGAL immigrants. They came over the LEGAL way. There is nothing wrong with that! Get your head out of the sand.

bernzright777 on July 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I didn’t really make a vote before, but after listening to Paul Ryan on Mark Levin last night…that’s who I’m pickin’ now!

kirkill on July 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Patrick,

where are the results for the “how conservative are you on social issues v fiscal issues” questions?

Kataklysmic on July 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Guess Palin isn’t on the list to give someone else a chance to win this meaningless poll?

RWRFAN on July 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

bernzright777 on July 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I believe the commenter you are responding to may be siting this issue.

According to Jindal, his mother was already four months pregnant with him when they arrived from India.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

RAWN PAULLL

wargamer6 on July 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

so? the requirement is to be born here, not conceived here.

AndStatistics on July 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

piyush ‘volcano’ jindal lol.

sesquipedalian on July 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

My goodness that’s juvenile. Lefties are obsessed with jindal’s given name, and they never fail to mention it. Teehee, those furrin names are so funny!

How lame, if that’s all you can come up with against Jindal.

Racist.

juliesa on July 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

so? the requirement is to be born here, not conceived here.

AndStatistics on July 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM

For the record, this is not my area of expertise, that said. I do not mind entertaining conversation about it. It is a serious Constitutional issue that requires being addressed in a serious manner. Anytime this issue is brought up, folks here love to heave the birther label at you, that should be patently wrong from a Conservative point of view. The parents have to be citizens at the time of birth. Think anchor babies, something most of us have issue with. People , Lawyers have varying opinions on his status.

Natural-born citizens are children born on US soil to parents who are both US citizens at the time of their child’s birth, regardless of how the parents acquired their citizenship. People born on US soil to one or two immigrant parents are simply native-born citizens, according to current interpretations of the 14th Amendment.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I understand your reasoning that ‘natural born citizen’ means a person born a citizen to two parents who were also citizens. It’s not a settled question, but I understand the reasoning.

That said, nobody has been able to mount a successful Constitutional challenge to Obama’s eligibility, so it seems from this point forward anyone born a citizen of the US under US jurisdiction will be effectively considered a ‘natural born citizen’, whether that’s what the Founders intended or not.

(I do think your definition may have some merit based on historical evidence, even though only one of my own two children would qualify under it, even though they have the same two parents.)

DarkCurrent on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

neyney on July 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

With all due respect but, a bit of a RINO?

Cap & Trade

Here in New Jersey, unfortunately, we’ve had leadership that likes to talk a lot about renewable energy but hasn’t done much of anything. That’s why we are 43rd in the nation in the production of renewable energy. That is simply not good enough. It’s not meeting the President’s goals and it’s not meeting the needs of New Jersey citizens. That’s why I’m going to make renewable energy a key part of the Christie administration.

Illegal Immigration

“Being in this country without proper documentation is not a crime,” Christie told more than 60 residents and town officials. “The whole phrase of ‘illegal immigrant’ connotes that the person, by just being here, is committing a crime.”

“Don’t let people make you believe that that’s a crime that the U.S. Attorney’s Office should be doing something about,” he added of entering the country illegally. “It is not.”

Gun Control

Christie: We have a densely populated state and there’s a big handgun problem in New Jersey. Now, I don’t support all the things that the governor supports, by a long stretch. But on certain gun control issues, looking at it from a law enforcement perspective, seeing how many police officers were killed — we have an illegal gun problem in New Jersey.

Hannity: Should every citizen in your state be allowed to get a licensed weapon if they want one?

Christie: In New Jersey, that’s not going to happen, Sean.

Hannity: Why?

Christie: Listen, with the Democratic Legislature that we have, there is no way those type of things -

Hannity: Would you support it.”

Christie: Listen, at the end of the day, what I support are common sense laws that will allow people to protect themselves. But I also am very concerned about the safety of our police officers on the streets. Very concerned. And I want to make sure that we don’t have an abundance of guns out there.

Ground Zero Mosque

“Given my last position, that I was the first U.S. attorney post-9/11 in New Jersey, I understand acutely the pain and sorrow and upset of the family members who lost loved ones that day at the hands of radical Muslim extremists,” Christie said. “And their sensitivities and concerns have to be taken into account. Just because it’s nearly nine years later, those sensitivities cannot and should not be ignored.

“On the other hand, we cannot paint all of Islam with that brush. … We have to bring people together. And what offends me the most about all this, is that it’s being used as a political football by both parties. And what disturbs me about the president’s remarks is that he is now using it as a political football as well. I think the president of the United States should rise above that. And should not be using this as a political football, and I don’t believe that it would be responsible of me to get involved and comment on this any further because it just put me in the same political arena as all of them.”

Flora Duh on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Well, I’m sure your candidate has the non decadent ideology then…..

1nolibgal on July 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Czar of Defenestration on July 12, 2012

PrettyD_Vicious on July 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Give up, Vicious. These hyper-birther types will each go to their graves muttering about ineligibility, no matter how much contrary evidence is presented to them.

itsnotaboutme on July 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

As long as I don’t have to listen to Bobby make a speech……….

bflat879 on July 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

This shows you have only listened to one of Jindal’s speeches. This just makes you ignorant. If you don’t correct that ignorance it just makes you……..?

Conservative4Ever on July 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

…OMG!…I must be getting smarter…just hanging and reading the HA posts!…
During the primary I had to keep changing candidates as one by one they flamed out…leaving me with the flicker of light at the bottom of my list…
BUT NOW!…my guy is there!…and my top five matches… you all!
…you can grow brain cells!…you can grow brain cells!… Dorothy!

KOOLAID2 on July 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Best choice for VP is Mike Johanns of Nebraska

KornKing on July 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

…where were you again in 2008?

KOOLAID2 on July 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

So Dante, who’s your pick for the ticket?

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

…Dante’s Inferno!

KOOLAID2 on July 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I didn’t even notice that, so I must be even less racist than you.

Akzed on July 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

No! You’re more racist because everybody knows that it’s racist not to notice a person’s race.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Why do I keep getting this sinking feeling that our top 4 have zero chance at VP?

Knott Buyinit on July 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM

All poor choices.

Don’t you knuckle-dragging rubes understand???
IT IS I, DANTE THE MAGNIFICENT, THAT SHOULD BE ON THE TICKET! ONLY I AM SMART ENOUGH TO HERD YOU SHEEPLE INTO MY ALL-SEEING, ALL-KNOWING CARE!!

MY REFLECTION IN THE MIRROR SHALL BE MY RUNNING MATE!!

KNEEL BEFORE DANTE!!!!!!!ELEVENTYHUDERND!!!!!drrrooooolllll!!!!!!

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Spot on, Flora Duh, unfortunately, I see almost no daylight between Christie’s views on those issues and where I believe a Romney administration’s views would end up.

Knott Buyinit on July 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Valkyriepundit on July 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Aha! A war on ugly men! Evil GOP.

LetsBfrank on July 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM

DarkCurrent on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

My wicked, Hell-bound nemesis is dead on again, in my opinion. There are the rules we wrote, and the ones we are playing by, and they are different.

For example, here is a disgusting analysis from snopes (not linking it) defending Obama’s qualification:

The Fourteenth Amendment states that “all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States.” Since Hawaii is part of the United States, even if Barack Obama’s parents were both non-U.S. citizens who hadn’t even set foot in the country until just before he was born, he’d still qualify as a natural-born citizen.

If Obama can be president, Jindal can be VP.

Axe on July 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

The Constitutional ignorance continues.

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 7:43 AM

If you would get a real education you wouldn’t be so ignorant.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

This is not for lost causes like dante, Lourdes and the other birther nutball morons. This is for those of y’all who may be swayed by Rosie O’Donnell type conspiracy nutballs. Don’t be fooled by their superficially sounding theories and down right disingenuous links. Hear that Bmore, I’m lookin’ at you. No credible questions have ever made it past the appellate courts or even won in a district court. Including the morons that argued Goldwater was ineligible because he was born in Arizona before Arizona was a state. If you don’t like it, change the constitution, but don’t join the birter nutballs in their idiocy.

They will fully overlook the fourteenth amendment and centruries of case law that settled “natural born”. The supreme court validates lower court case law by refusing to take any of these nutball birther cases. Black’s Law Dictionary defines natural born, look it up, it will educate you.

Some quotes I will link to for the Bing/google challenged.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

itsnotaboutme on July 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Yea, I gathered that. Linked the one article that is evidence of his eligibility and like liberals, Dante and Czar fails to acknowledge the positive proof.

PrettyD_Vicious on July 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Best choice for VP is Mike Johanns of Nebraska

KornKing on July 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I’d rather Romney would choose Dave Heineman…

OmahaConservative on July 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

If that were truly the current interpretation of the 14th amendment then Obama could not be president because he would not be a natural born citizen. Somehow I don’t think that’s the current legal interpretation of the 14th amendment.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I THINK that it will be either Portman or Pawlenty. The reasons are numerous and relate most to EXPERIENCE and the fact that both men are friends of Romney who have proven themselves to be dedicated and hard workers.

That being said, THIS article appeared today Top 20% pay 94% of all taxes on The Drudge Report.

Not only is the information very salient, its timely.

thatsafactjack on July 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

ajacksonian on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I want Jindal to stay here (LA) and work. The only thing that’s softened me to the idea of losing him is the reality that some of these “career windows” open and then close and never re-open. I don’t want him to miss his opportunity (I don’t want us to miss the opportunity either).

All things being equal … a real governor in LA is …

… a green-eyed Chinese girl. :)

Axe on July 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Dude, no. See above.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Hear that Bmore, I’m lookin’ at you.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Did I send you a picture of me? Oh, thats right I can’t, that dang moniker of yours isn’t working, please fix I want to comment. ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

What if he picks Jeb Bush?

Oldnuke on July 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

That was supposed to read “since United States v. Wong Kim Ark in 1898″.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My wicked, Hellpreta-bound nemesis is dead on again …

Axe on July 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

FIFY!

DarkCurrent on July 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Dante on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

DarkCurrent on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

That’s not quite accurate. The refusal of the courts to address the NBC issue does not set legal precedent.

The issue is very real, and needs adjudicating by the SCOTUS, especially with all the anchor babies coming up.

Every single challenge to 0bama’s eligibility was rejected out of had due to the plaintiffs’ “lack of standing” to sue – and NOT adjudicated.

Clarence Thomas joked (half-seriously, IMO) that the SCOTUS was intentionally ducking the issue.

Certain issues DO need adjudication, no matter what Chief Justice Roberts thinks his purpose in like is, and the NBC is an open sore thatis one of them.

It is not clear whether Jindal and Rubio are eligible. they may be – they may not be – not but it is a legal gray area – not adjudicated – and it’s bad for the country, IMO.

Just because 0bama has gotten away with never having to answer the suits against him doesn’t set legal precedent, and doesn’t resolve the “anchor-baby” issue.

Roberts need to get off his smug rear and start adjudicating.

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

jeez – the typos are flowing this morning!

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Dude, no. See above.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Just so we are clear on this issue. I do not have a formed opinion one way or the other. I just find it a curious question that is still undecided.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

jeez – the typos are flowing this morning!

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

cane_loader, Gohawgs asked me to relay this message to you. He will be down your way end of month and wants to come see you to help on the rebuilding. Last nights QOTD here.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I’m surprised McDonnell didn’t get higher consideration. As Gov. in Virginia and born in PA, he could be a big boost in the rust belt.

TonyR on July 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I’d still prefer to see Jindal appointed to HHS, instead of VP.

pambi on July 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I just find it a curious question that is still undecided.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Only if SCOTUS wants to revisit United States v. Wong Kim Ark.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

a curious question that is still undecided.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

It was pretty well decided on the day Barack Hussein Obama was sworn into office. That’s a pretty big precedent that no court will be willing to overturn. The only way for this to be changed is a constitutional amendment and that will be after the fact.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Natural-born citizens are children born on US soil to parents who are both US citizens at the time of their child’s birth [...].

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

That was the general idea. It’s just not what’s happened since the 14th.

I’ll support fixing up the problems with the 14th … till then, you know, it’s just broken.

Axe on July 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

TonyR on July 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Nobody outside of Virginia and Hot Air knows who he is.

Oldnuke on July 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Far beyond my means to predict what the court will take up. Especially this court. I’m not even sure I trust them to take anything up after the 0care ruling.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

DarkCurrent on July 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Apologies. :)

Axe on July 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Axe on July 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Sounds reasonable and correct to me. ; ) Say while I have your attention, I’m running low on………, save me a trip to the store? ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

That’s very nice of him to think of me. I don’t how I would get ahold of him. The situation’s a bit complicated – (I rent – don’t own), but I could tell him what’s going on. Thanks for passing the message :-)

Been off the board while helping for 2 months in the search for Mickey Shunick, a 22-y.o. college student who’s missing.

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

SCOTUS has had many opportunities to take another look at “natural born”. That they have passed very time, shows that the law on natural born is more settled than Roe. They do look at that one now and again.

They gave us a Robert’s like answer. “That is how the law stands, if you don’t like it its your job to change it”. In this case it will take changing the constitution.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Oldnuke on July 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Yep, though my interest in this issue does not begin or end with it in relation to 0. I would just like to, at some point have clarity, lack there of, in my opinion is what we have now. It is, I believe a legitimate concern. When 0 was first sworn in, the thought crossed my mind at the time, Roberts had botched it intentionally to buy time, time to check. I don’t think that is the case in hindsight. I think Roberts is just capable of botching stuff. LOL!

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

cane_loader, do you have a throw away type email? If not I’ll check and see if Gohawgs does.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM

bernzright777 on July 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Please refer to my post at 11:11am, in which *I* point out that their parents were legal immigrants…but *not* American citizens.

Czar of Defenestration on July 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Some quotes I will link to for the Bing/google challenged.

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Hey, if birth alone is good enough for James Madison, St. George Tucker, Justice Story, and William Rawle, then it’s good enough for me. Reading the text of the Constitution, I wavered a bit and bought into the basic argument of the birthers at first – the text is not clear what it means by natural-born citizen. I’ve come across some of the references you’ve linked, as well as a few others, and that’ll do it for me. If some folks around here aren’t familiar with the names (I’m sure pretty much everyone knows who James Madison was, and perhaps even Justice Story), then you owe it to yourselves to look them up.

Othniel on July 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

cozmo on July 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

But as far as 0bama – and as far as settled adjudication, we have nothing.

There have been penumbrae and assumptions made off of tangents from certain cases – but nothing is settled – otherwise people wouldn’t still be arguing. Not all of us who believe it’s an open question are idiots.

As far as 0bama, there has been no affirmative adjudicationfrom the courts – only avoidance through “lack of standing.” Every single case against 0bama has been rejected before evidence was heard, until the plaintiff can prove any harm has been done by 0bama’s ostensibly not passing the NBC test.

Seems like judicial cowardice, to me. I just want it adjudicated one way or the other. Kind of like a henhouse guard being told there is a fox in the henhouse, but refusing to look inside until the informant can produce a dead chicken that somehow got out of the henhouse.

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM

The latest not-white guy won?

Shocking.

Looks like Paul Ryan is closing in, though. Whatcha gonna do?

Moesart on July 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM

No, I actually don’t… so don’t want to post my paid e-mail here….

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM

No, I actually don’t… so don’t want to post my paid e-mail here….

cane_loader on July 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I definitely understand that. I’m the same way. HeII I don’t even want to post my throw always. LOL! I’ll see if Gohawgs has one and let you know when I see you again. Is that okay?

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Crap, I on a fairly large pitch right now and just got a phone call saying we have to modify something. Gotta run. cane_loader, I’ll check back. Later. : )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

John Thune

Rapskins on July 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

i= I’m, dang typos.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

P.S. cozmo, get that dang moniker fixed, I want to comment. ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Jindal, West, Ryan, Walker (or Palin) would all be great choices and give Romney a positive boost and brings some desperately needed passion and fire to the campaign.

Pork-Chop on July 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM