Harry Reid: We should seriously “burn” those Olympic uniforms

posted at 4:01 pm on July 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The U.S. Olympic Committee forged a partnership with Ralph Lauren to design the uniforms that our representative athletes will wear for the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in London this August. Ralph Lauren just recently rolled out the 2012 Olympic collection, and the opening ceremony outfits are causing a bit of a stir.

Firstly, there are a few folks complaining that the overall feel of the uniforms, and the berets in particular, isn’t very patriotic. I don’t know that I’d say the outfits (the ladies’ skirts and shoes especially, yikes) are exactly my favorite thing I’ve ever seen, but I totally get the classic, vintage idea of it. Ralph Lauren is an iconic American brand; they’ve been designing outfits of over-the-top collar-poppin’ preppiness for ages, and they’ve always demonstrated a solid penchant for anglophiliac, old-school campus-inspired influences — I think the duds are actually pretty appropriate for London. This isn’t about practicality, it’s about high fashion and letting Ralph Lauren show off their brand. This is a privately-funded endeavor, and as long as there are no midriffs or Che Guevara emblems or whatever showing, I say let the Olympic Committee dress up the athletes how they like.

But the real outcry of outrageous outrage is coming from the fact that the outfits weren’t manufactured in America. Please, spare us:

Reid, D-Nev., made the remarks following reports that China has already taken gold from America by manufacturing the uniforms Team USA will wear during the opening ceremonies.

“I think the Olympic Committee should be ashamed,” Reid told reporters on Capitol Hill. He said they should “burn” the current uniforms, and would rather America’s athletes wear shirts with “USA” hand-painted on them. …

“And they should be wearing uniforms made in America,” Pelosi said.

Boehner, meanwhile, said: “You’d think they’d know better.” …

The company, in a statement, said the outfits aim to embody “the spirit of American athleticism and sportsmanship.”

Reality check: Americans don’t make clothing anymore, we just design it. 98 percent of clothing purchased in the United States is imported from abroad. Check your clothes, ’cause all of them likely carry an overseas label. And why is the fact that we don’t do everything in the United States — in other words, that we have an advanced and specialized economy — supposed to be a bad thing? Of course, our political leaders won’t say this, lest they appear “unpatriotic” (heaven forbid they stand up against the populist “buy American” fallacy that in practice can be a detractor to economic growth).

Maybe this is supposed to be a about some misplaced sense of “pride,” but sorry, I’m damn proud of our economy and of our ability to compete and cooperate in a global market. I actually agree with Harry Reid on one point: It would be kind of awesome if our athletes just wore “USA!”-emblazoned t-shirts and walked in to the ceremonies while fist-pumping. But, these situations do require a certain level of decorum out of respect for the other attendees and the gravity of it all, and these uniforms definitely communicate that.

Honestly, you could just as well argue that President Obama is at all times the chief representative of the United States — I didn’t hear Harry Reid saying we should burn Obama’s Canadian-made Ground Force One bus last summer, and that was paid for with tax dollars.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 6:15 PM

lol

Axe on July 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM

An alternate picure of the uniform, showing the neckerchief featuring vertical solid stripes:

I think the vertical stripes, and lack of white stars on the blue field, make the neckerchief appear more suggestive of the flag of France than the flag of the United States of America.

ITguy on July 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Maybe I am missing the link or something. Does anyone have a link to photos of the uniforms?

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Lets keep the outfits and ditch you reid, you worthless gasbag

crosshugger on July 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Oh I see, I get to visit RL shop online to see photos of the stuff. I’m sure RL appreciates the traffic. Say, do you think his site was also made in China.?

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Okay, I have now viewed the entire line at RL’s joint. My observation. Crap, expensive crap. We had to go to China to have expensive crap made. Sorry I’m with Reid, this is bullsh*t. Not just the line of wears but the price and where they were manufactured. At those prices, I don’t think we can afford to burn them. Anyone know what the approximate $1300. + cost per individual comes to with interest and tax?

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I’m with IT Guy, very French in appearance.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I’m sorry, but to complete the men’s outfit, they should be carrying a French loaf under their arm.

OldEnglish on July 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Around the neck, the stripes are horizontal, but when the scarf comes down the front, the stripes are vertical, and there are no white stars on the blue background, so it ends up looking more suggestive of the French flag, in my opinion.

ITguy on July 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM

that’s precisely what I meant, they way they wrap those scarves around their necks make it look like the stripes are placed vertically (like in the French banner), which in reality are not…otherwise, the tricolour is what it is, the French and the American banners share the same colours…as for the stars, why aren’t they there, keep in mind that he is an artist, a fashion one, yeah, but still an artist, and they stylize and ‘recycle’ a lot (as in visual recycling :-) recurrent or traditional patterns, themes etc, they are not merely replicating/reproducing reality, but re-create it in an unique and original fashion…if that was the idea, he could have simply wrapped them in the American banner, kinda like in an Indian sari or Roman toga :-)… am surprised that Lauren is so bashed for these uniforms though, he has a lot of vintage americana themes running throughout his collections and designer portfolio and of all the American designers I think he’s the furthest away from the European/French style…he really is as American as it gets, designing-wise, together with Tommy Hilfiger probably…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM

ITguy on July 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM

As you can see, I didn’t read, first. Sorry.

OldEnglish on July 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM

“And they should be wearing uniforms made in America,” Pelosi said.

Obama should be driving a bus made in America.

Washington Nearsider on July 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Males: Red, white and blue combat uniforms, with a big patch on the back depicting Muhammad’s decapitated head.

Females: Stars and stripes bikinis.

The fact that anything else was even considered should be investigated.

WhatSlushfund on July 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Guys, guys…we had berets at the 2002 Winter (Romney) Games too. And if you’ll recall, they became big sellers in the souvenier shops.

Wonder if the Times and Post would say the same nice things if Romney were running the olympics now:

On February 8th, 2002, the Opening Ceremony of the XIXth Olympic Winter Games became the highest rated Olympic Ceremony in history, with 3.5 billion viewers, and it was highly acclaimed by the worldwide press.

“An emotional opening ceremony. . . creators successfully intertwined American patriotism and the international hope for unity.”
– Michael Janosky, New York Times

“… a glorious spectacle…” “… a stunningly beautiful pageant!”
– Washington Post

IrishEi on July 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM

the whole Olympic uniform thing is a privately funded endeavor, so no taxpayer money involved, the Olympic committee can choose whatever they want to dress their athletes in and pay however much and it really isn’t anybody’s business really. as for where the uniforms are made, oh, my, they are made in China, shocka :-)…newsflash, everything is made in China, so to go all up in arms coz OMG, the Olympic uniforms are made in China, sounds a bit like manufactured outrage on the part of the lawmakers, especially coming from that idiot Reid…besides, what the heck do they care, it’s not like they are paying for it with some of their entitlement programs, whatever private entity (or entities) paid for it have the right to choose whatever manufacturer they want, no? besides, it’s a global economy, am sure that if the Canadian Olympic Committee decided to have their uniforms done in the US, Harry Reid would have been awfully please and would not have screamed hysterically ‘burn ‘em’…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM

OK, but what are the straight athletes wearing?

tomg51 on July 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM

…I think Barney Franks requested KILTS!

KOOLAID2 on July 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Your just mad because we said they look French. ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

pleased, that is…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Your just mad because we said they look French. ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

yeah, that’s it :-)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM

…I think Barney Franks requested KILTS!

KOOLAID2 on July 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

complete with this (talking of berets): )

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM

8.2% unemployment.
47 million on food stamps.
Foreclosures are up. Again.
And, this is what Harry Reid is concerned about?
I say, take his advice, but put it to use in DC. All of it.
As far as the uniforms, you can’t really tell the difference between the men and the women…so French.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on July 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM

We can all purchase a suit and look just like team USA. Pretty pricey tho. Think I’ll wait for the Walmart knock offs.

Kissmygrits on July 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

All the beret is missing is the little red star on the front.

JFS61 on July 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM

The uniform for man is too French or too gay?

bayview on July 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Will the fat ugly Mooch be wearing one too?

jqc1970 on July 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM

A lot of retailers wish they could source their clothing here to shorten the lead time. Some manage to do that, but mostly it’s too expensive. And not just labor. Since when are excessive environmental laws and other regulatory burdens a good thing?

VerbumSap on July 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Berets have no useful function. They don’t protect from the elements. They don’t shade the eyes. They don’t shed water. They make the wearer look like a FrancoFool hanging out in some Beatnik cafe.

kenny on July 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I think this is officially the straw that broke the camels back. (It didn’t need much, obviously.) I say this as someone who did nothing but stare at the television during the LA games for two weeks straight. (I mean, I barely even took time to shower.) Between the reports on the sex, drugs, drinking in the ‘village’, the fact that there are more professional athletes than amateur and now this (metrosexual socialist uniform with French rather than American color scheme), I officially couldn’t care less about the upcoming olympics. /sad

pannw on July 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Thats right Harry focus on whats important. Whats that you say? Rome is burning? Quick fetch me my fiddle!

neyney on July 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

yeah, that’s it :-)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM

jimver, for what its worth I am of German and French bloodlines. Strasbourg.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

VerbumSap on July 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM

they are not a good thing, but they’re a fact of everyday life in the US, and we don’t have a choice but to live with it, adapt, find ways around it. you don’t really expect a dem prezzy and a dem senate to actually vote for deregulation or for less environmental terror, do you….

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

yeah, that’s it :-)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM

jimver, for what its worth I am of German and French bloodlines. Strasbourg.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Alsace, good choice :-), beautiful area…my family used to own vineyards in that area (grandparents on paternal side)…les vins d’Alsace are considered superior in France, for those who like Rieslings and Gewurtztraminer of course :-)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

O/T Mark Levin said Drudge has that Condi Rice is in top running for VP.

bluefox on July 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Basically the costumes make them look like Statist Youth. Hmm

kenny on July 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I also don’t expect it to be spun as an example of “an advanced and specialized economy”. It’s not.

VerbumSap on July 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM

They look disturbingly too much like the figures you see on the billboards on the Chinese side of the border while traveling from Hong Kong to the mainland.
The “Made in China” is only part of it. What happened to good old track uniforms?

BigFluffyClouds on July 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM

all uniforms have something creepy in them, and you can find similarities and common elements among all of them, be it party yout-style (commie, fascist), or simply school preppy,or boy/girl scout etc, no matter how original a designer might try to be when it comes to uniforms, probably it’s been done in the past and it will bring all sort of analogies in people’s minds…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I don’t agree with your support of other countries making our products Erica that to me just does not resonate.

On the other hand I find it funny that Pelosi and Reid have these criticisms but never for one moment stop to think why we don’t have manufacturing in United States.

KMC1 on July 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

The uniform for man is too French or too gay?

bayview on July 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Oui.

Dingbat63 on July 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I agree that the ladies shoes are blah; what is more American than Stripper Shoes? :P

oddball on July 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

jimver, just curious have you ever had supper here? One of my fav’s.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

oddball on July 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

loool :-) especially that they seem to be so much in fashion this season/summer, they are everywhere in the stores :-)…but I have to admit those shoes in the Lauren Olympic uniform are kinda lost on me…preppy is fine, but I agree, preppy blah is not…he should have gone instead for the knee high socks and pleated skirts :-)..

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM

jimver, just curious have you ever had supper here? One of my fav’s.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

hehe, yep, it’s an iconic brasserie…its Lorraine though, not Alsace…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM

jimver, just curious have you ever had supper here? One of my fav’s.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

so, you visit France often? do you still have relatives there? we’re from the south-west part of france actually (the old province of Aquitaine, Limousin, Midi-Pyrénées, that area, also most famous for the Bordeaux types of wines, st Emilion, etc)…my grandparents and great grand owned vineyards in different parts of france, tey had very eclectic taste and were very fond of Riesling, which is kinda an underrated wine in France…Alsace/Lorraine is the best region for growing Riesling grapes (bit colder and more rain than in the south)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Your just mad because we said they look French. ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

The outfits don’t just evoke a French aura either. That’s an actual French flag on the beret. And the women’s scarf is just an elongated tricolor. Who thought up those details? Why the French flag but not the US flag? We’ve got stripes galore (French stripes) but no stars? Oh well, that’s the Obamanation fur ya.

limmo on July 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I love France. It’s a wonderful place to visit, and I’m sure to live, but these are supposed to be uniforms for American not French athletes. Why do they have the freaking French flag on the beret with the tricolor scarf?

limmo on July 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

No, nothing but the buried kind of relatives I’m sorry to report. I used to enjoy travel. I don’t travel off shore anymore. Land bound I am. But when in Nancy I would never pass up on a fine meal. ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

O/T Mark Levin said Drudge has that Condi Rice is in top running for VP.

bluefox on July 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Well she may be a RINO neo-con academic but hey at least she’s black?

CorporatePiggy on July 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

limmo on July 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM

limmo on July 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

LOL! ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

oddball on July 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

voila, there’s a stripper shoes variety in the Ralph Lauren female uniform after all (well, wedge-stripper, not stripper-stripper, but still :-)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Why do they have the freaking French flag on the beret with the tricolor scarf?

limmo on July 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

who knows, maybe Lauren is a closet francophile (quelle horreur :-)…did anyone run a background check on him, is he naturally born, were his both parents american at birth? :-)…his name can be French (Lauren derived from Laurent :) as far as I am concerned…ok, just kiddin’ :-)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

For the record, the Opening ceremonies of the 2012 Summer Olympics are July 27th (not August as the opening sentence indicates).

Personally, I think the uniforms could have (and should have) been made in the USA, or even an allied country. Canada had a good thing with Roots, but I guess they are using made in Canada uni’s this year too.

shanimal on July 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

But when in Nancy I would never pass up on a fine meal. ; )

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

tell you what, never pass up on a fine meal anywhere in France :-)…the worst place I ate in France is ten time better than an upscale diner in London, seriously…here in the US at least there’s variety, and in California I can always find really good places to eat, there’s a lot of fusion restaurants popular here which I love….but yeah, apart from my family and the area I grew up in (absolutely stunningly beautiful + tonnes of history)the thing that I miss most from France is the food :-)…shocka, I know :-)…the wines, not so much, I can get most of the French ones here, and then some of the California ones are better/superior (I know, my grand parents will turn in their grave, but it’s the truth though)….

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I’m sorry I don’t have time to read the article, so:

Why is there a picture of the French Army on Hot Air?

Browncoatone on July 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Who cares where anything so ridiculous looking was made. These are supposed to be world class athletes, not bellhops.

Nomas on July 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Those uniforms are not French, just like the 9/11 Memorial in Shanksville, PA is not an Islamic Crescent.

BobMbx on July 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

limmo on July 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Call it the consequences of style/design choices.

For whatever reason, I guess you could ask Ralphie… the ‘star’ symbol is not incorporated into the design/motif. That being the case, the only other elements available are the national colors: red, white, and blue (remember those…?).

And since we’re discussing the French, I should point out that France (post-revol.), adopted OUR colors, not vice versa. I’ll set the debate of our colors being borrowed/stolen from the Brits aside for the moment.

Bottom line: they’re our national colors, they stand for freedom (instead of empire), and in that context, we are first.

Everyone else follows under the category of imitation = flattery.

They’re our colors, so quit bitching and whining like little girls and deal with it.

CPT. Charles on July 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Browncoatone, we have been purchased by the French in a highly under reported reversal of the Louisiana Purchase.

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Geez don’t I hate to agree with gas bad Reid and scarface Pelosi but, but…..come on…those uniforms are hedious and yes….they should be made in America. Sorry Erika but I think you missed this one badly.

tractah on July 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Memo to Vegas Harry:

Norma Rae killed the US garment industry. It was in all the papers.

98ZJUSMC on July 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Maybe we could get the Ladies Garment Workers to run up a few things. Look for the union label.

Lose the ghastly berets and the rest of it is okay, I guess, although I find the overall design more suggestive of a militaristic aggression than the playing fields of Eton. These are games we’re going to, after all.

SukieTawdry on July 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM

So people think the berets are somwhow not American enough? Hmmm…tell that to the Rangers, Special Forces, etc.
Oh and Ralph Lauren is hardly French. His real name is Ralph Lifshitz and he’s from the Bronx. Get a grip people…good grief. LOL
And the only reason Reid and Pelosi are making a case of this is because of the unions. I’ll bet they both buy all kinds of stuff made in China.

Deanna on July 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Keep the uniforms. Ditch the berets. Have them all wear bowler hats.

trigon on July 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Maybe Reid can share with us the uniforms for his Cowboy Poetry fest, if he is such a critic.

PattyJ on July 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Jeepers. The prices are high because it raises funds to help sponsor the athletes. Instead of making the clothes in China making them here would do two things : raise the purchase price and simultaneously reduce the volume of sales and conversely reduce the proceeds.

The clothes look sharp in that Retro style and if I were still the sports fan that I used to be, I’d be interested. But I don’t care one whit about the Olympics hence I’m not motivated to “support” them with my $$. Now if some of the stylings trickle down to Wally world, Kohl’s etc at a reasonable price point, I’ll buy. The few RL items of clothing I do have, I love their fit, looks and quality so if I see these on the discount rack, I’ll probably grab the Polo, belt and tie.

AH_C on July 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I remember James Taylor’s song, “Millworker” about the plight of American garment industry workers.

(Yeah), but it’s my life has been wasted
And I have been the fool
To let this manufacturer
Use my body for a tool
(I’ll) ride home every evening
Staring at my hands
Swearing to my sorrow that a young girl
Ought to stand a better chance

So may I work your mills just as long as I am able
And never meet the man whose name is on the label

(it’s still)me and my machine
For the rest of the morning
And the rest of the afternoon (and on and on and on…)
for the rest of my life

He got what he wanted. That industry has gone away.

They can’t have it both ways.

Buck Turgidson on July 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

He got what he wanted. That industry has gone away.

They can’t have it both ways.

Buck Turgidson on July 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

now this is probably the anthem of the Chinese garment industry workers :-)…lyrics translated in Chinese of course :-)

jimver on July 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM

AH_C on July 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM

agreed, the uniforms are very stylish and in excellent taste, beret or not :-)…the US athletes will rock the Olympic parade, total fashion icons :)…but then I’m subjective, I love Ralph Lauren style, his polo shirts and his palette of colors in general, I buy them regularly…doubtful that you’d find that styling at wally’s in the future, Kohls possible, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Marshalls and TJ Max more likely…

jimver on July 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

jimver on July 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM

The truth finally comes out. It’s not because we were picking on the French. ; )

Bmore on July 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

That logic doesn’t fly with me. My clothes may have overseas labels, but then again, I’m not a US Olympian. The USOC could have done something about this, but they chose not to.
At the very least, they could have their outfits done by Root, which is in Canada – see the 2002 Salt Lake City olympian garb.

Until a change takes place, I’m done donating to the USOC, and I live in Colorado Springs.

RMCS_USN on July 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Not that much decorum. The wuss uniforms are a joke, even if they had been made in USA

IMHO the cowboy hates were discarded because they were no longer politically correct in the new ‘global’ vision. Too chauvinist

Guess the next step is everyone wear the same uniform so no one nation shines above another

However, I disagree we should burn the uniforms

We should burn the relationship between the US Olympic Committee and the Congress. Ever since Congress gave ownership of the very word ‘Olympics’ to the organization, the Olympics has become more and more pompous

It is a creepy carefully cast advertising tale, skipping over the little people and losers, while filling the broadcasts with happy dappy tales of those the press want to hype.

I dont have a lot of criticisms for Romney lately, but I think it was his Olympics where I first saw those awful giant stick puppets paraded around the stadium like a Euro carnival nightmare,

When the stick puppets show up, I sign off

entagor on July 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I can’t stand dingy harry, but I don’t like the uniforms either.
How about denim, cowboy boots and 10 gallon hats? Yah, I like that!

Bambi on July 13, 2012 at 2:12 AM

It is reassuring to know that Reid cares about something besides his poor pomegranate trees.

Nah, these lib aholes grasp at anything that they think distracts attention from their evil ways.

I am not fooled, you ahole socialists!

Sherman1864 on July 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Harry Reid: We should seriously “burn” those Olympic uniforms

Put one on, Harry.

I’ll light the match.

Hawkins1701 on July 13, 2012 at 3:43 AM

I don’t get the beret thing…why the “militant” look?

Looks like something Dear Leader would dream up.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 13, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Made in the USA? What, Harry is going to get my wife to sew the outfits? Who sews commercial here anymore?
“Patriotic” berets, are so ghey.
So, Harry, he who sews the blazer offshore, sows the new sew revolution?

Open The Door on July 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Democrats trying to pretend that they care about America…I guess that’s more important the putting Obamacare repeal to a vote.

cajunpatriot on July 13, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Look for the Union label, when you are buying a coat, dress, or blouse….” Remember that little song? THAT is why there is no longer clothing made in the USA. Blame the Unions, not Ralph Lauren. The uniforms are cheesy, however.

BigAnge on July 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Meh. Stupid looking uniforms (Other than the white women’s one. Lose the stupid scarf and put a stethoscope on her. Hellloooo Nurse!)

The berets are NOT the cool military ones, they are the slouchy French civilian baguette muncher type. Note the missing hard leather band around the brim area, and the missing button down on the side to keep the hat short and tight on the head. Also, yes, that IS the French Tricolor flag on the side. The French Tricolor is (from the top) Blue, White & Red. (The order IS significant) A proper “US Military” style beret would have either service insignia or a US flag affixed to the side. In this case the US flag would be most appropriate.

The scarf has the same issue. It is the wrong color order. Combined with the Euro-styling, these outfits look definitively French in origin.

Clearly, Ralph Lauren is exercising his lefty Euro-wannabe tendencies with these outfits. I agree (and I can’t beleive I’m typing these words) with Harry Reid. Burn the damn ugly outfits. They can wear their warm-up suits and some baseball caps. These things are a national embarrassment.

wearyman on July 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t take too much pride in the fact that we like to think of the good old USA as a “information enconomy”. You can’t wear it,eat it, drive it,construct with it and it certainly won’t provide the employment this country sorely needs. In these uncertain times it makes no sense to me to let our manufacturing of basic items being off shored. We could be more business friendly but that would mean the gov and unions getting off the gravy train. Don’t much see that happening.
More and more I see developing nations as just the hired help doing things that we don’t much want to do ourselves. 50% of this country takes a goverment handout of some sort. We can afford that but we can’t afford letting those who can provide the economic power from doing their thing?

jims on July 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM

If Ralph Lauren is going for the Metro-sexual look, he nailed it.

Lawrence on July 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM

They look like automotans (?).
I STILL LIKE DENIM, COWBOY BOOTS AND TEN GALLON HATS!
Not exactly what 0b0z0 would like!

Bambi on July 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Harry Reid: We should seriously “burn” those Olympic uniforms

Can we use coal?

NotEasilyFooled on July 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Harry Reid: We should seriously “burn” those Olympic uniforms
Au Contraire….we should seriously consider burning Harry Reid.

logicman_1998 on July 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM

The uniform for man is too French or too gay?

bayview

There’s a difference????? ;-)

E9RET on July 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I agree the uniform for the Olympics should be burned but not because they were made in China.
They should be burned because they look like HELL!
I vote the athletes wear their blue jeans and whatever else they want!
But don’t put that awful uniform on.

We are NOT FRENCH

Delsa on July 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM

During the early 1980s, I did some writing for a company that made wall calendars and stationery. The company comprised three women just starting out on their own.

When it came time to publish their first glossy, high-quality calendars, they looked and looked for some place that would do it for a price they could afford.

They couldn’t find one in this country, but Chinese companies were eager to help. As much as the gals hated outsourcing their calendar production, they couldn’t afford the prices here.

And they blamed it on the unions.

KyMouse on July 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

There is nothing wrong with the Olympic uniforms IMHO. Yes, it would be great if they were made in the USA, but they weren’t? When were the last US Olympic uniforms made in the USA?

I have a BIG problem with Harry Reid making comments and said exactly what HotAir said when I first heard him on CNN.

Dingy Harry also didn’t complain about the US dollars to Brazil.

katablog.com on July 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

And they blamed it on the unions.

KyMouse on July 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Wages is a minor expense compared to what materials are.

The fact is, they sold their soul to China…I am in the printing business, you can get prices close enough here to make it worth while…and not have to support a communist regime that fixes prices to put our companies out of business.
It’s the politicians who have allowed China to get away with illegal pricing schemes, and regulations here in the U.S. to make us not competitive.

right2bright on July 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I’m a little surprised that nobody seems to know what a singlet.

No college, school or club wreslters at HA?

Capitalist Hog on July 13, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Harry Reid and other phonies are getting their panties in a wad. The panties made in China.

My daughter tried out for the Olympics. None of her shoes were domestic. Should they go barefoot or wear LL Bean boots?

The good news is all synthetic fibres come from Koch Bros Inc. They bought Dupont fibers and renamed it invista. Of course Invista has a huge operation in China.

seven on July 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM

right2bright on July 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Isn’t it just awful? Can you imagine the uproar if politicians in ages past had tried to give this kind of privilege to the bloodthirsty monsters in the USSR?

MelonCollie on July 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Those “uniforms” are hideous. Beret’s? Really, berets? Who could have possibly thought this would be a good idea? They look like stewardesses (and yes, I meant to use that term), not world-class athletes.

Big John on July 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Anything Ralph Lauren makes should be burned anyway. Why do we need national uniforms with that stupid damn polo logo the most prominent part of it?

stacman on July 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM

RMCS_USN on July 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Ralph Lauren is providing these uniforms to the Olympic Team gratis. Only a Democrat could be arrogant enough to look that gift horse in the mouth and kvetch, and only a Republican could be dumb enough to join in when the Democrat waves their little American flag around. *ahem*

As for Roots, and the mouthbreathers who think Lauren’s design here is the Worst. Design. Ever. ought to look at the simply GAWDAWFUL uniforms Roots provided in 2004. Also, the Roots logo was plastered all over the stuff they provided, that’s the trade off, we provide you with tailoring and uniforms, we get our logo and name out there. No different from McDonald’s or any other company that gives to the Olympics.

All you people complaining aren’t even thinking, you’re just reacting to a bunch of chum the left threw in the water, unfortunately that chum is laced with poison. Chuckie Schumer’s trying to use this to force the Olympic Committee to buy American clothes for the games. Its a pander to the garment industry in NY, but it can become worse, we seriously do not need the windowlickers in Congress trying to run the Olympic program, because they’ll run it into the ground like everything else they run. This would be their foot in the door. Don’t fall for it.

No, I don’t like the beret either, but it’s because it’s too much of an informal hat for a well cut blazer. The caps that Lauren provided for the 2008 Olympics were a better choice, I also think a straw boater would have been a better choice in both instances.

As far as the clothes, what do you people want them to friggin’ wear? Ill-fitting jeans or shorts and t-shirts? Hipster crap? Tracksuits? Tapout shirts and brah hats? What? This is a formal sporting event, you can’t dress like a schlub like most Americans do on a daily basis. And spare me the elitist spew, I’m done letting leftists and fellow class warriors tell me I need to dress like a schlub.

In the US, there’s only two choices for this kind of occasion, classic northeastern prepwear and formal western. We did the formal western in 2000, and I liked it, and I think someday we’ll see it again, but for now? Lauren is doing the uniforms since he’s giving them away. And Lauren and western…just…NO. Dude does prep, and he does it well. Asking Lauren to do westernwear would be like asking Justin Boots to make me a pair of boat shoes. Not gonna happen, and if it did, the results would be tragic.

doubleplusundead on July 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM

BTW, the worst thing about those uniforms is the berets. China we can invade and conquer if necessary, and force everyone to watch Brady Bunch reruns, episodes of Rawhide, and American Idol; but the berets we can never live down.

J.E. Dyer on July 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM