Harry Reid: We should seriously “burn” those Olympic uniforms

posted at 4:01 pm on July 12, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

The U.S. Olympic Committee forged a partnership with Ralph Lauren to design the uniforms that our representative athletes will wear for the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in London this August. Ralph Lauren just recently rolled out the 2012 Olympic collection, and the opening ceremony outfits are causing a bit of a stir.

Firstly, there are a few folks complaining that the overall feel of the uniforms, and the berets in particular, isn’t very patriotic. I don’t know that I’d say the outfits (the ladies’ skirts and shoes especially, yikes) are exactly my favorite thing I’ve ever seen, but I totally get the classic, vintage idea of it. Ralph Lauren is an iconic American brand; they’ve been designing outfits of over-the-top collar-poppin’ preppiness for ages, and they’ve always demonstrated a solid penchant for anglophiliac, old-school campus-inspired influences — I think the duds are actually pretty appropriate for London. This isn’t about practicality, it’s about high fashion and letting Ralph Lauren show off their brand. This is a privately-funded endeavor, and as long as there are no midriffs or Che Guevara emblems or whatever showing, I say let the Olympic Committee dress up the athletes how they like.

But the real outcry of outrageous outrage is coming from the fact that the outfits weren’t manufactured in America. Please, spare us:

Reid, D-Nev., made the remarks following reports that China has already taken gold from America by manufacturing the uniforms Team USA will wear during the opening ceremonies.

“I think the Olympic Committee should be ashamed,” Reid told reporters on Capitol Hill. He said they should “burn” the current uniforms, and would rather America’s athletes wear shirts with “USA” hand-painted on them. …

“And they should be wearing uniforms made in America,” Pelosi said.

Boehner, meanwhile, said: “You’d think they’d know better.” …

The company, in a statement, said the outfits aim to embody “the spirit of American athleticism and sportsmanship.”

Reality check: Americans don’t make clothing anymore, we just design it. 98 percent of clothing purchased in the United States is imported from abroad. Check your clothes, ’cause all of them likely carry an overseas label. And why is the fact that we don’t do everything in the United States — in other words, that we have an advanced and specialized economy — supposed to be a bad thing? Of course, our political leaders won’t say this, lest they appear “unpatriotic” (heaven forbid they stand up against the populist “buy American” fallacy that in practice can be a detractor to economic growth).

Maybe this is supposed to be a about some misplaced sense of “pride,” but sorry, I’m damn proud of our economy and of our ability to compete and cooperate in a global market. I actually agree with Harry Reid on one point: It would be kind of awesome if our athletes just wore “USA!”-emblazoned t-shirts and walked in to the ceremonies while fist-pumping. But, these situations do require a certain level of decorum out of respect for the other attendees and the gravity of it all, and these uniforms definitely communicate that.

Honestly, you could just as well argue that President Obama is at all times the chief representative of the United States — I didn’t hear Harry Reid saying we should burn Obama’s Canadian-made Ground Force One bus last summer, and that was paid for with tax dollars.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Can we Burn Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi at the same time… PLEASE…

SWalker on July 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Harry Reid is not the brightest of bulbs.

anotherJoe on July 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Well dingy does have to make a statement on something other than dealing with his yard high bills he hasn’t allowed to the floor of the sentate dealing with our Republic, now does he?
L

letget on July 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Harry Reid is just mad at this.

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The uniforms do look silly, but not so silly as Harry Reid’s litle outburst.

dczombie on July 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Put one on Harry, then I’ll make up my mind.

HumpBot Salvation on July 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Hopey/Changey…..National Civilian Security Forces Uniforms!!!!!!!
(sarc).

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Harry’s upset because the Unions weren’t involved.

kingsjester on July 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Our unies should have WWII helmets, two pearl handled revolvers in a low-slung holster, a deer skin jacket with them frills hanging down from the arms, no, check that, ankle-length wool dusters, calico shirts with pearl button snaps, skinny jeans and hip waders.

Just kidding about the hip waders. Cowboy boots of course! And for the females, cowboy girl boots.

Akzed on July 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

As the world marches towards freedom, it sure looks more and more like a police state.

tom daschle concerned on July 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

What a laugh…From the party and the first black President Bill Clinton who gave us NAFTA, GATT, and Chinese admission to the WTO.

bluesdoc70 on July 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

More jobs being outsourced during the 0 term, eh?

Boehner, meanwhile, said: “You’d think they’d know better.” …

Maybe you think Harry and Nancy would know better Mr. Speaker, but the rest of us gave up hope long ago.

txhsmom on July 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I think that the uniforms, as per the picture, make them look like an American version of the Soviet Young Pioneers, just waiting for orders from the State – to be vigorously and unquestioningly followed. Along with a chant: “Down With The Oppressive Rich Oppressors Of The Oppressed.”

I hate the uniforms. For full effect, the damn things should be all brown, and should be worn like a potato sack.

Hell, I hate the Olympics.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Is there anything about the Olympics that is not a farce?

pedestrian on July 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

The Dems are probably outraged that Che Guevara tees have been banned from the Olympics.

Buy Danish on July 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Eh from a visual standpoint, I agree with Reid.

LukeinNE on July 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Didn’t we get some Olympic outfits from Roots out of Canada one time?

I did a little pokin’ around and, yup, actually twice:

Roots also clothed the United States (2002, 2004) [4] and British Olympic (2002) teams.

I know, it’s Canada. That’s like our bigger little sister.

Fallon on July 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I am not fond of the uniforms either, but even weighing on the uniforms reflects more on how embarrassingly unserious our pols (especially the dems) are.

mwbri on July 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM

98 percent of clothing purchased in the United States is imported from abroad.

My guess is that most of the remaining 2% is overpriced, pretentious clothing for wealthy leftist. Think American Apparel.

thuja on July 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM

“I think the Olympic Committee should be ashamed,” Reid told reporters

“And they should be wearing uniforms made in America,” Pelosi said.

Boehner, meanwhile, said: “You’d think they’d know better.” …

Leadership!

sharrukin on July 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Lets see,

the Uniforms were under Hopeys Watch,and they were made in China,

and…******O.M.G.*****,that means,Oh Oh,
that Obama had them……(sarc).

***************** “OUTSOURCED” *********************!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

At least the uniforms were non-union made!

:OP

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Those uniforms are ugly, but they should be made-in-America ugly.
The Olympic committee is a Euro-weenie joke.
I feel sorry that athletes who want to compete with the best to be the best have to participate in such a sorry spectacle to do it.

sandspur on July 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Oddly, I find myself in agreement with Harry Reid. Burn em.

faraway on July 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Those uniforms are pretty lame. But Reid is still an A-hole.

RadClown on July 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Somehow foreign oil is preferable to domestic production, even though we have massive reserves. But foreign made clothing is an affront, even though we have very little manufacturing capacity.

novaculus on July 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I know, it’s Canada. That’s like our bigger little sister.

Fallon on July 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Fallon:Lol,(yes I’m still laughing)!:)

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

OMG, I NEVER thought I would agree with anything Reid said….

SERIOUSLY, though?! French Berets and clothes made in CHINA?! Our athelets shouldn’t wear anything but clothes made in AMERICA. Of course, after over $6 Trillion added in new debt by this President, money borrowed from CHINA, it is only ‘appropriate’ that we show up at the Olympics wearing nothing but clothes bearing the tag “Made In China”.

easyt65 on July 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Can we Burn …Nancy Pelosi …

SWalker on July 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

As much as she drinks?? Are you crazy??

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Berets are symbols of communists.

BobMbx on July 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I do have a complaint about these uniforms – not because the berets are too French or they were made in China; it’s that they remind me of something the Symbionese Liberation Front or New Black Panthers might wear – albeit with a different color scheme.

Buy Danish on July 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Harry Reid is one of many individuals in this Country that is responsible for our +$16 Trillion dollar debt, +$100 Trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities, No Senate Budget for over three years, he won’t allow any bill from the House to be brought up for a vote, wanted the war in Iran lost, and is the most partisan hack in the history of this Country…!

… Basically, he can go fu%k himself!

(yes… i feel better now)

Seven Percent Solution on July 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Harry’s upset because the Unions weren’t involved.

kingsjester on July 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

He’s upset because they weren’t purple.

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

More jobs being outsourced during the 0 term, eh?

txhsmom on July 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM

txhsmom:Agreed!:)

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

While the fire is a-blazin’ Dinghy, may I request a lil cowboy poetry music in the background..thanks pard.

hillsoftx on July 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Berets are symbols of communists.

BobMbx on July 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn’t say that too loud in front of US Army special forces.

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Berets are symbols of communists.
BobMbx on July 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

You’re thinking of the hammer and sickle, and not of the Green Berets.

Akzed on July 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM

My first thought was Starship Troopers

BobMbx on July 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Did anyone say “Look for the Union Label” yet?

D-fusit on July 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Cowboy hats or not hats at all.

Blake on July 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

And offend mehicans ?

burrata on July 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Nice EuroWeenie berets. Sweeeeet.

ConservativeLA on July 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Excellent analogy, Erika!

Dear lady, don’t let all the cavemen’s natural reactions on the MKH additon bother you.

Your substantive writing is a fantastic asset to HA.

The four of you have differnt talents and it’s a varied team, for good.

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I like preppy….sue me

cmsinaz on July 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Apparently people are still mad that he banished crazypants Sharron Angle into the dustbin of history.

inthemiddle on July 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

If they’re going Brit they should wear boaters with those blazers. The girls would look cuter in boaters too.

Seth Halpern on July 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I think the outfits are great.

ookete on July 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

But. The berets?…… nope

cmsinaz on July 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I don’t like the uniforms.

Harry Reid can still burn in hell and in Hell.

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I suspect Harry Reid’s concern is a lead in for a Romney slam
of some sort. Where did the uniforms come from when Romney
was in charge of the Olympics?

I smell a rat.

Amjean on July 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Reid. *sigh*

davidk on July 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

98 percent of clothing purchased in the United States is imported from abroad.

Probably made by low paid indentured or illegal workers imported for cheap labor so’s the label can proudly boast “Made in the USA!”

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Uh, right monkey. So, it’s a tragedy that our Olympic athletes are wearing clothing made in communist China, but it’s not a tragedy that virtually all consumer goods, including most clothing available in the U.S., is manufactured in communist China or some foreign land? REALLY? We have decades of democrat policies to thank for the fact that America no longer produces our own goods. Like all democrats, Reid is a delusion turd-on-a-string twisting in the wind. Nothing like election-cycle, outrage kabuki from dicks like Reid.

Pork-Chop on July 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Berets are symbols of communists.
BobMbx on July 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Che

burrata on July 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Harry Reid is just mad at this.

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

It’s a wonder anyone attends these events. It’s as bad as the TSA. You have to pay to be there, and you have to accept that you will be treated like a criminal and that your comfort is of no concern to the officials herding you like cattle from venue to venue.

As far as the uniforms, they look more British than American preppy to me, but on my give a poop meter, it barely registers.

Night Owl on July 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

inthemiddle on July 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Non sequitur much?

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I like them…kinda cute and retro. However, the hat seems over the top, makes them look like space cadets.

PattyJ on July 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I agree the beret is a little weird…too frenchy. They should have a cute baseball cap, a jaunty sailor cap or if you are really a nitpicker for national symbolism, a dunce cap.

2L8 on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

(yes I’m still laughing)!:)

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

*Phew!*

I was hoping you wouldn’t be offended.

Fallon on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

ding ding ding

cmsinaz on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I really don’t care that the outfits were made in China.

The outfits look like the folks are going to a yacht club party in the post apocalyptic mega city from the movie Judge Dredd.

Wallythedog on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

And offend mehicans ?

Oh, nationalistic unis are just so 20th Century. Shouldn’t all Olympic athletes be attired in the same simple “We are the World” clothing and just do away with national symbols altogether.

Actually, all Olympians could just simply wear what the original Olympic athletes wore when it all started eons ago in Greece.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

kingsjester on July 12, 2012 at 4:05 PM

cmsinaz on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Eh, I hate to say it, but I agree with Reid that it would be nice if they were made in the USA. However, I am just an ignoramus who believes in having pride in our country and thinks that our representatives to the Olympics should display the best we have to offer, so pay no attention to my opinion

McDuck on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Harry Reid? He’s a real clothes horse.

Philly on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

They should wear sleeveless flannel shirts and ripped blue jeans.

And the girls should wear “daisy dukes!”

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I think that propeller beanies would be just right.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

From the little shown here, I have to agree with Harry, they’re awful. They look like a French air stewardess uniform.

RJL on July 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM

And offend mehicans ?

burrata on July 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

ruh roh

cmsinaz on July 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM

They look more like military uniforms than they do something that athletes might wear. What were they thinking?

NuclearPhysicist on July 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

They look like a French air stewardess uniform.

RJL on July 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM

And that’s just what the guys are wearing.

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM

*Phew!*

I was hoping you wouldn’t be offended.

Fallon on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Fallon:Never:)

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Well THAT would certainly improve the ratings!

2L8 on July 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

even the men’s swim team?
;-)

burrata on July 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

inthemiddle on July 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Because no one could dislike Reid for any other reason? Did you just fall off a turnip truck?

Night Owl on July 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Ya know,I loved the Green Berets movie,with John Wayne,
but,ahem,*cough—cough*,

Saddom InSane wore one too,jus say’n!!

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Well THAT would certainly improve the ratings!

2L8 on July 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM

How soon they forget the Eastern Block women … men … women … men … women … yes … yes … women.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

The uniforms? Meh. The only cringe-worthy part is the beret. As to the poster who said that is for communists, er, various elements of the US Army wear berets (for several years, all of the US Army wore berets, a legacy of former CSA, GEN Eric Shinsecki). The key to me, at least in the picture, is that the models sporting the berets don’t know how to wear them. I seriously question whether many of our Olympic athletes are going to know how to wear one. Not because they lack the skill, intellect or ability, but why would they have that skill? Unless they were in the US Army, this would probably be the first time and only time they would wear a beret.

On the other hand, Harry Reid is an idiot. Totally agree with that comment.

Grinch on July 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hope the despicable liar hypocrite Harry doesn’t own any foriegn cars/products.

bob77 on July 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I think the costumes look ghey (and not in a good “Project Runway” sense, either).

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

“They should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile and burn them,” the Nevada Democrat told reporters at a news conference on a Democratic jobs bill.
…with dingy-harry you never know for sure: is he talking about the Olympics, the US military or both?

TeaPartyNation on July 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

The uniforms are appropriate. They look make the athletes looks like French school children who attend the much feared Ecole Nationale de Sandusky.

CorporatePiggy on July 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Looks like some sort of glorious youth -worshipping ‘Internationale’ Abercrombie & Fitch garbage.

rayra on July 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM

[Bloc]

Just in case any MKH anals are in the house.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yacht Club chic

rayra on July 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

ding ding ding

cmsinaz on July 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM

cmsinaz:I bet Bush gets blamed,or Mittens,in some MSM Bazarre
Twisted 6 degrees of seperation,sumpin..sumpin!!:)

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Cowboy hats or not hats at all.

Blake on July 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Nothing wrong with a stylish seed corn or John Deere billed cap,..bill creased in the middle, of course.

a capella on July 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I think they are cool in a preppy/New England/Old England kinda way :)…very appropriate for London Olympics….don’t get the berets though, a bit too French resistance :-), clashing with the overall English preppy style..but then Ralph Lauren can be quite the eclectic too :-)…

jimver on July 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Why does the Olympic team always look like cowboys for the winter games but flight attendants for the summer games?

As David Spade says, “Bu-Bye.”

Fallon on July 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Oddly, I find myself in agreement with Harry Reid. Burn em.

faraway on July 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I don’t recall ever agreeing with Harry Reid before, but this time I do. Why do we want the U.S. athletes to look French? I don’t have a problem with the blazers or the ties, but those berets should go. Problem solved.

Outsourcing is a separate issue and just par for the course under Obama.

talkingpoints on July 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Eh. Broken analog clocks are right twice a day. I’ll concur with Reid on this one, although my beef is they evoke a sense of fascism from when fascism was militaristic — not a thing I’d want to see amateur athletes wearing given the current administration.

apostic on July 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Don’t burn those uniforms–imagine the global warming caused by the CO2 emissions! Can we sequester them in Yucca Mountain?

Let’s put Harry Reid in front of a sewing machine and pay him $1 an hour to make Olympic uniforms, like Chinese textile workers do. He’ll be more useful than in the Senate, where he hasn’t passed a budget in three years.

Steve Z on July 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The slogan for the thread picture should be:

Are we not men?

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I think,this means,a,

Congressional Hearing!
(sarc)

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

The Polo logo on them is a nice touch. Can we charge Ralph for advertising space.

HumpBot Salvation on July 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

cmsinaz:I bet Bush gets blamed,or Mittens,in some MSM Bazarre
Twisted 6 degrees of seperation,sumpin..sumpin!!:)

canopfor on July 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Wait, isn’t Lauren’s son married to Bush’s niece or something? It is Bush’s fault!/

talkingpoints on July 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I agree with both Reid and Pelosi “Burn Them”. Those are some lame costumes. Did Ralph Lauren get his inspiration from South West Airline’s hostess uniforms?

Dr Evil on July 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Must be election season…the leftists are all ‘against’ China, including oaf Obama.

Still, the uniforms just suck.

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

The slogan for the thread picture should be:

Are we not men?

OhEssYouCowboys on July 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM

AAARGHH!! Ice cube out the nose!! Damn, that hurts!!!

CurtZHP on July 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM

We’re all French socialists now.

It’s not just the beret, it’s the neckerchief that looks like the French flag instead of the US flag.

BPinNC on July 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM