That dastardly Romney’s tax plan versus Obama’s pro-growth one

posted at 7:15 pm on July 11, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As loathe as I am to admit it, I actually think President Obama’s piecemeal “let’s pass what we can agree on, and argue about the rest later” proposal to extend the Bush-era tax cuts just for those making less than a quarter of a million dollars a year was pretty darn clever. While anyone not mesmerized by his populist charm realizes that what he’s actually proposing are tax hikes on people who already pay way more than most in taxes, he gets to set himself up as the great Compromiser-in-Chief against those petty obstructionist Republicans.

Republicans are countering, however, with one of the obvious flaws in President Obama’s magnanimous proposal: We need economic growth, which is rarely-to-never a byproduct of tax hikes. Taxing the heck out of America’s job creators and small businesses, so that you can take money out of productive private-sector uses and instead put it to the public entitlement-heavy uses of your political whimsy, is not going to grow our economic pie.

So Obama’s got to try and cover his bases, and is apparently looking to some ostensibly pro-small business but basically weaksauce government actions to bolster his creds.

The White House said it is expanding a program to accelerate payments to small businesses that contract with the federal government, reducing paperwork for companies seeking disaster loans and boosting access to capital, among other things. The steps are aimed at “keeping the wind at the back of America’s small businesses, said U.S. Small Business Administration Administrator Karen Mills. …

Mr. Obama tried to undercut the GOP’s argument. “We know what those who are opposed to letting the high-end tax cuts expire will say,” Mr. Obama said from the White House Monday. “They’ll say that we can’t tax ‘job creators.’ And they’ll try to explain how this would be bad for small businesses.”

Top that with just a neat little messaging package and call it a day:

Er, okay, I’m not sure how you can accurately summarize two politicians’ plans for a wildly complex issue within a 30-second ad spot — oh, ’cause that’s right, you can’t. You can simplify them just enough to offer some relentless spin, by condensing Romney’s entire tax philosophy to this little gem:

“Mitt Romney’s plan,” the ad says, includes “a 25% tax cut for millionaires, tax breaks for oil companies and corporations that ship jobs overseas, but a tax hike for 18 million working families.”

For evidence on the “working families” tax increase, the Obama campaign cites a Politifact analysis which says Romney has not publicly supported extending tax provisions aimed at low-income earners including the American Opportunity Tax Credit (an education benefit), the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Child Tax Credit (to offset some of the cost of raising a child).

Yes, I’m certain that covers just about the long and short of it: Romney wants to raise taxes on the struggling middle class and lower taxes for his filthy-rich fellows, while Obama wants to do the exact opposite. Because, remember kids, tax cuts for the wealthy and oil companies, et al are always at the expense of the little guy, and do absolutely nothing to grow the economy and help him out, too. Amiright?

Comments

I love this BS he’s said lately that small business has no bigger friend than him. I don’t know what’s worse that he’s lying or maybe he actually believes that about himself.

gsherin on July 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Awe man
They just set up a softball for Romney when they come back with Obama has the biggest tax increase in world history. Obamataxmaggedon hahahahah.

Conservative4ev on July 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I guess someone (Romney, the RNC?) should be putting out ads making the case for the Republican candidate? I certainly wouldn’t expect the Democrats to do it.

sharrukin on July 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Team Romney should just shoot back with an ad highlighting the current state of the economy based on Obowma’s failed policies of his first term…

… then ask people if they want more what he has actually done, and not planning on doing.

Seven Percent Solution on July 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

…Barky beclowns himself!

KOOLAID2 on July 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I guess this is what rope-a-dope looks like.

Mark1971 on July 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Orwell was prescient. He just got the year wrong.

bayview on July 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

“President Barka wants to give you everything for free but Mitt Romney wants to kill you, yes kill you and your family using a rusty hatchet! Remember who to vote for in November, the nice guy or the KILLER!”

Bishop on July 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Democrats, Satan would drag them screaming straight to hell if they tried to tell the truth.

SWalker on July 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

So when are we gonna start seeing ‘American public strongly in favor of sticking it to the man’ polls from NYT???

BigWyo on July 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

..eh AP? You mean the 8-1/2 day income tax increase? Only to somnolent, mouth-breathing mirror foggers. (But I know what you’re trying to say.)

The War Planner on July 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Orwell was prescient. He just got the year wrong.

bayview on July 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

..maybe 1984 is 2012 in hexadecimal or octal or something.

The War Planner on July 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

reducing paperwork for companies seeking disaster loans

Wha?

Yes, my business is a disaster, so let me fill out some paperwork to claim a disaster because I need a loan, because my business is a disaster because of Obamanomics.

LMAO.

Key West Reader on July 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

“let’s pass what we can agree on, and argue about the rest later”

TRANSLATION: Give me a WIN! Don’t mention that the taxes collected “on the evil rich” will only fund the government for 8 days. Most of the simpletons who voted for me don’t even know that. Michelle can use the money for another over-seas vacation.

GarandFan on July 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Truly, there is only one way to sum up 0. Liar!

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Well, the thing is, you see, right, wrong or indifferent, that’s what most swing voters want. There are hills worth trying to take and then there are those that aren’t. I don’t want the anti-Obama forces to die on that hill.

VorDaj on July 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

PolitiLie should explain to their readers that those aren’t Taxes, they are Welfare Payments!

jaime on July 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Tax hike on working families?

What about the Obamacare tax?

Red Cloud on July 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM

But, but, but, Obama & the MSM have been telling me for months now that Romney doesn’t *have* any plan other than “I’m not Obama” and that the whole problem with him is he needs to *give specifics plans.*

So how do they all of a sudden know what Romney’s plan is?

I’m so confused.

Dark Star on July 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM

What isn’t to admire. The penalty hits in ’14. Long after the bamboozle of ’12. The victory disease here makes me wonder where the hell HArs shop. In my world, a red one, the blues are still in victimhood and still very very blue.

One chicken, two chickens, three chickens…five!

Limerick on July 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

and argue about the rest later

When is later?

Is it like never? Because that’s when the “you get what you wanted” actually happens in these deals.

rihar on July 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

HotAir needs to rethink the pop-ups. There is a few thousand metric tons of cash in election night popcorn. Work up a private label and get in on the rush before November. After the vote, market Tums.

Limerick on July 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

..eh AP? You mean the 8-1/2 day income tax increase?

The War Planner on July 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

U mean Erika, no?

hillsoftx on July 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Hike Taxes, buy more Steam Powered Whimsical Jollapies for Ron Paul!

Varchild on July 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

U mean Erika, no?

hillsoftx on July 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Have you ever seen them in the same place at the same time?

Mark1971 on July 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Obama’s tax plan: Tax increases on ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of taxpayers by 2014.

Everyone that he’s not raising taxes on January 1, 2013 gets theirs raised January 1, 2014.

Romney needs to drive that point home!

wildcat72 on July 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Romney needs to drive that point home!

wildcat72 on July 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

And Mitt and the RNC will listen?

(((clips my nails)))

Limerick on July 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

If you’re an democrat, and you see this Orwellian nonsensical lying going on…….how do you look at yourself in the mirror???????

KMC1 on July 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Bishop on July 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I’d go with the killer any day of the week, does this make me evil and/or callous? :-)

jimver on July 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Lies and the lying liars who tell them!

Romney never proposed a tax increase on the middle class–he only said that taxes on higher incomes shouldn’t increase.

Obama never offered a tax CUT to anyone, but only proposed that we go back to Clinton’s tax rates, which are higher than today’s taxes, which would be a tax INCREASE.

Obama just cleverly shifts the baseline. Bush cut taxes on the wealthy AND the middle class relative to Clinton. Letting the Bush tax cuts (on whomever) expire is a tax INCREASE, and not letting them expire maintains the status quo. But by not giving credit to Bush, Obama claims HE (not Bush) cuts taxes on the middle class, then he claims that Romney (not Bush) wants to cut taxes on the wealthy.

Romney needs to cut short his vacay in Lake Wimpy Wherever and rebut these ridiculous lies QUICKLY, before Vladimir Lenin’s prophecy is realized about lies repeated often enough being believed. Obama has already asked the latter-day Vladimir to give him flexibility…

Steve Z on July 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

completely unrelated, what’s up with the new aesthetic at Drudge, all B&W graphics and pics, looks nice and classy, but was just wondering what’s behind it…

jimver on July 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Hasn’t the meme of late been that Romney hasn’t a plan and darn it, needs to start giving specifics?

catmman on July 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Erica, I am assuming that *most* who read here know that and you are being factitious. The whole idea IS TO K.I.S.S. In my old sales days that was the first cardinal rule I learned:K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid. And that is what lying demon-crats do. They make up their own ‘news’, have “sources say..” some number of smears and then in the KISS fashion they run with it. How much millage do you think we got back in 2004 with “swift boat” ?

So what we do is attack “Alinsky” style. Period. We don’t win unless we do. Yes, tell as best you can upfront but Alinsky your enemy til death. I believe what Romney said to Cavuto today that there are blacks that may not of “shown” what was “expected” but on that voting day I think there is going to be a black exodus. There smart enough to know when they are being ‘honkyed’.

auspatriotman on July 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM

auspatriotman on July 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM

1. We don’t win by imitating them. We tell the truth.
2. The Swiftboaters told the truth about Kerry.
3. Learn English.

Basilsbest on July 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I am ashamed to admit that I have college educated people in my family that actually buy these lies put out by the Democrats each election year. In a couple of weeks I am going to have to go the family gathering at the beach. I am just going to have to chill out and keep my mouth shut.

SC.Charlie on July 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM

SC.Charlie on July 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Highlighted the problem and the oxymoron. These days a “college education” is having even your math and science professors working in Marxist garbage to the curriculum.

PastorJon on July 12, 2012 at 12:46 PM