Romney: I expected to be booed by the NAACP when I mentioned ObamaCare

posted at 6:31 pm on July 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

Everyone expected it, no? When you’re addressing a group that’s supporting the other guy to the tune of 95 percent, bet on there being a few awkward moments.

I doubt he’ll win any votes for showing up but it’s worth his while to do it anyway for two reasons. One: It’s a gesture of outreach. The left will, as always, demagogue him more viciously on race the closer we get to election day (especially if O starts to fall behind); this is Romney’s way of trying to show good faith and inoculate himself against the charge. Liberals won’t care but some swing voters might. Two: It’s catnip for the media. An event that’s guaranteed to end with a black audience criticizing the Republican nominee for president is as good as it gets if you’re among the 98 percent or whatever of reporters who are liberal. BuzzFeed’s clearly enjoying it bunches, and Think Progress is being as Think Progress-y as you’d expect. But look at it this way: How often is a Romney speech the big news story of the day? This is a windfall of earned media for his stump speech at a moment when The One has nothing much going on to distract from it. Romney knows how unpopular ObamaCare is with most of the public and he knows that the media would go nuts if he got booed by the NAACP for criticizing it, and so he did it. And now every newscast in the country tonight will have footage of him talking about how bad the boondoggler-in-chief’s big health-care program is. The press gets what it wants and Romney gets what he wants. Great.

“We expected that [the booing],” Romney told Fox Business Network’s Neil Cavuto in a interview set to air later in the day. “I am going to give the same message to the NAACP that I give across the country which is that Obamacare is killing jobs, and if jobs is the priority, we are going to have to replace it with something that actually holds down healthcare costs, as opposed to something that causes more spending for the government and more spending for American families.”

In a statement after his address, NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous called Romney’s positions “antithetical” to the organization’s interests in a statement.

“While we are glad that Governor Romney recognized the power of the black electorate, he laid out an agenda that was antithetical to many of our interests,”said Jealous. “His criticism of the Affordable Care Act — legislation that will improve access to quality health care for millions — signals his fundamental misunderstanding of the needs of many African Americans.”

This has to be the only event in American political life where a candidate is cordially invited — and accepts — full in the knowledge that he’ll be denounced by the organizers immediately afterward as antithetical to their agenda. Emmanuel Cleaver, chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, said flat out after Romney’s speech that he shouldn’t have bothered going. But he had to go, of course: Turning down the invite would be spun as prima facie proof of racism. Better to go, make your pitch, and then be judged a racist. That way, at least you get some news coverage and some grudging respect from the media for having engaged an audience that’s voting against you.

As for the bigger picture, wise words from J.C. Watts:

“With all due respect to Governor Romney, he’s probably doing it to check the box,” Watts told CBS News. “Having a Republican candidate speak at the NAACP convention is like trying to build a house starting at the roof. If you don’t have a foundation, the roof isn’t going to stand.”

Watts argues that the Republican Party is not serious about dedicating the time and money necessary to establishing serious ties with leaders in the black community. He wonders why, for example, the GOP isn’t working harder to form strong relationships with southern black religious leaders. “Republicans think that the NAACP is the only voice in the black community. It is a voice in the black community. But it’s not the only voice.”

“The establishment wonders why we can’t get more of the black vote,” he added. “It’s because it’s not doing the things necessary to establish a deeper relationship with the black community. Most black people don’t think alike. Most black people just vote alike.”

Ben Jealous’s perfunctory condemnation notwithstanding, the audience was gracious to Romney for most of the speech, with some attendees saying afterward that they respected him for coming even though they disagreed with him on basically everything. (The speech ended with a standing ovation.) In fact, via Mediaite, there was a notable applause line during the speech itself. Watch this and you’ll see what Watts means.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

He was going to be called racist whether he did or didn’t go so might as well go and state your case.

Wagthatdog on July 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Ladies and Gents, let’s all give libfreeordie a hearty welcome back to the Hot Air.

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Hahahaha….your link in your ID, hahahaa…

Lourdes on July 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Yet you aren’t explaining why you allege such, upon what, specifically.

Everything he alleges from asserting that Dems tell blacks they can’t make it on their own to blacks voting for policies that break up the black family is just well…quite frankly complete and utter nonsense. Their are no facts involved, just assumptions and his or her’s warped view of the world.

The other person there (“Midas”) explained his views citing specific conditions in reality that explain aspects of his life and behaviors. You denigrate him without mentioning any specifics, by not explaining anything to support why you would.

I promise, I’m not being a douche, but what was the question I was supposed to provide specifics about. I got several different people coming at me, so please tell me what you want to know.

So it’s really just specifics people are asking about. If you continue to respond by calling others “racists” and such (your earlier remarks about the Tea Partiers as to what you think about them but you don’t cite anything specific to support your allegations about them, either == same as to your remarks about the “Republican Party”), then you’re simply fulfilling the lowest common denominator of why there’s criticism in the first place, as to why some people vote by race for their own race motivated by race and claim some sort of success in doing so despite the results being liabilities for them by race.

Lourdes on July 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Earlier remark about Tea-Partiers…what on earth are you talking about??? I didn’t call anyone a racist.

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Adults? The only thing you have done is call people names directly, or by implication.

sharrukin on July 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Yeah I’m pretty sure you can’t find one example of me name-calling, but I’ll a million dollars that you can find at least two aimed towards me. Care to wager?

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Hahahaha….your link in your ID, hahahaa…

Lourdes on July 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Still the endorsed candidate of Ace of Spades, HQ, I believe.

I take back my assertion that StoneKrab – if he’s on the level and not playing a character, this being the Internet and all – is libfree. Stoney sounds a lot more reasonable and less didactic. Let’s sit back and see what tales he spins.

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

No matter who Romney picks for VP there are two things you can be sure of.

1)They will be smarter than Joe Biden.

2)They will give much more to charity than Joe Biden.

Those are very low bars to reach.

Wagthatdog on July 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous

Is that his name, or his personality?

Mr. Prodigy on July 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM

No matter who Romney picks for VP there are two things you can be sure of.

1)They will be smarter than Joe Biden.

2)They will give much more to charity than Joe Biden.

Those are very low bars to reach.

Wagthatdog on July 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

3)They will be racist and clearly worse than Hitler according to Team Barry and the MSM.

Kataklysmic on July 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

????

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

????

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

libfreeordie was everyone’s (least) favorite liberal troll on here, but he had his account deleted earlier today, so the implication is that you’re his account reroll.

It’s an absurd claim, you’re not a troll as far as I’ve seen.

LukeinNE on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Romney: I expected to be booed by the NAACP when I mentioned ObamaCare

So why the f$ck did you go there and mention it then? To prove to your under educated base that you’re a tough guy? What a pandering f$ck.

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Nicely done, Mitt. You gave them the simple truth. Obama has been a disaster for the pocket-book interests of African Americans. A train-wreck. And he has offered them nothing but lies. But then, Barry does not have a drop of African-American blood in his body. Obama is one-half Kenyan Muslim (with no connection to the American experience) and one-half White-American atheist.

minnesoter on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Romney went off script after being booed and said small businesses will not hire more workers under Obamacare.

Mormontheman on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Like the dollar symbol in your F word..

OTax will do that to us…

Electrongod on July 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

“he expected to be booed”. wow. even a humble hispanic like myself can tell a loser.

you can’t grow cojones. you’re born with or without them. mitts a eunuch. a eunuchc who fixes things, but a eunuch nonetheless.

obama the happy warrior. mitt the grim reaper. WINNING!!!!!!!

renalin on July 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM

????
StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Retracted in my post above.

LukeinNE on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I wouldn’t even say libfree was a troll. Simple disagreement – even with the tired academic talking points – isn’t really trolling if done in sincere attempt at conversation.

Now the rest of them…yeah they’re mostly just posting to get a rise out of us and/or validate their own hatred and anger.

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Got it. Yeah I assure you, whoever he is, I’m not him.

It’s an absurd claim, you’re not a troll as far as I’ve seen.

LukeinNE on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Many would disagree, but thanks! :-D

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I think he mentioned it because Obamacare is the single largest impediment to employment in the history of the United States. IIRC, employment is something that should be of interest to colored folks at the NAACP.

HTH.

tom daschle concerned on July 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

In the first place Romney doesn’t really have a base; secondly, Obama has a lock on that undereducated demographic.

ddrintn on July 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I give Romney credit for having the guts to go and get booed by a crowd whose mindset is already cemented into place. And maybe he even loosened some of the cement here and there, because he told them what he thinks has happened to them, and to the nation, and what he plans to do about it.

RebeccaH on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

RebeccaH on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

+ 100..Nice post!..:)

Dire Straits on July 11, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Yep, missed your retraction before posting, sorry about that. I tend to be defensive of the few non-conservatives here for honest discussion because I feel they do add to the debate.

Many would disagree, but thanks! :-D

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

No problem, just don’t make me eat my words later please. ;)

LukeinNE on July 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

At least he didn’t go in there promising a bunch of free crap just to suck up. Obama’s going down the list of the aggrieved, making sure he’s kissed their asses and commiserated with them, while ignoring them for the past 3-1/2 years, and couldn’t be bothered with their issues when he had a compliant Congress. Single horny women, check. Gays, check. Illegal immigrants, check. Now that there are rumblings in the black community by pastors over the gay marriage issue Obama will have to practice his famous “Negro dialect”, that he can apparently turn on and off, according to Joe, to remind African-Americans that he’s a “brother”.

tpitman on July 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM

RebeccaH on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

and the tooth fairy actually exists, right?

renalin on July 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM

NAACP…….National Association of COMMUNIST POLITICIANS!!!

Don’t believe me?

List to Reverend Al talking about the FedGov making sure all the house have the same stuff in them….THAT’S KARL MARX CRAZY TALK!!!!

PappyD61 on July 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

RebeccaH on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

sadly for most Americans these days, its all about identity politics. we don’t see the same goals.

i was taught we were all one. guess i was wrong.

renalin on July 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

If Romney keeps this up, he will enjoy the fruits of my checkbook.

stvnscott on July 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM

No problem, just don’t make me eat my words later please. ;)

LukeinNE on July 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Raj.

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM

LukeinNE on July 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM

It does seems strange, though, not just in this case but many others, how one troll/lib/oppo/whatever leaves, another appears immediately afterwards. A lot of folks here accuse the trolls of being part of an organized effort, paid or otherwise (I tend to think it’s done for fun/out of psychological need.)

If that’s the case, it makes good sense, with our closed registration system, for them to reg a whole batch of accounts during open reg, in order to carry on when one gets banned.

I mean, that’s what I do at Kos/DU/TPM/etc… ;)

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

So libfree points out the truth about Tyrone West and some crazy con reveals his personal info on the internet?? God help us all.

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I mean, that’s what I do at Kos/DU/TPM/etc… ;)

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I’m not paid dude. I’ve actually been here for quite some time, I just stopped posting for a while, because…well quite frankly between school and work, I’ve just been super busy. I initially signed up about a year or two ago, because I like AP’s writing style. He seems pretty fair minded and he picks the best topics. Ed on the other hand…not so much. :-D

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Wait…what happened???

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

The absurdity of my argument completely went over your head. Let me simplify it. If two white people are runnning against each other in a Presidential race, what race gets the most votes?

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

No, your argument was just incredibly stupid, so it was easy to dismantle.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Libfree shared too much personal information. What ‘Humpbot Salvation’ did was wrong, but he couldn’t have tracked him down if libfree didn’t leave a trail of breadcrumbs.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

No, your argument was just incredibly stupid, so it was easy to dismantle.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I agree it was, but I made the same exact argument you did. Go re-read what I wrote and you’ll put it together.

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Where’s the absurdity? Every Presidential election in history except for one has matched up a white man versus a white man at the top of the ticket.

The only time it was a black man vs. a white man, what percentage of the white vote did the white man get? 55%. Barely even a majority.

The one time in POTUS election history that whites were given a chance to vote monolithically, they said “Thanks but no thanks.”

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I think AP appeals to an under-served demographic (ack my marketing background is showing) among Conservative/Libertarian readers. Without him, Hot Air would be a quality news+analysis blog, but I agree, not nearly as fun a read. (Which is not to say he doesn’t also bring excellent analysis – one of the best IMO.)

The gang at Ace of Spades is the only other set of writers that come close, specifically Ace himself (who is absolutely, definitely, probably not AP ;)

Dirt McGirt on July 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Wow. That almost makes me want to leave HA myself, I know I left my share of bread crumbs on this thread alone. Wait…how did Libfree end up getting banned???

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

It’s not the same argument at all. Here’s exactly what you said:

You are creating a false argument. If the Democratic party was called the Black party and it was filled with nothing but black representives, then you’d have a legit argument; but we both know that this isn’t the case. Blacks have traditionally voted democratic, but they’ve also overwhelmingly voted for 14 White Presidents and countless white representitives. Meanwhile, white people have overwhelmingly voted for other white people throughout the history of this nation; of course the exception being 2008, so that obviously means that the white people of this country up until 2008 were racist. Pretty ignorant argument to make isn’t it?

It’s nice to speculate, but the facts are that there’s only been one Presidential election in history where racial blocs could vote monolithically for “their” guy. Blacks did, and whites didn’t.

There are other reasons for that, of course. Blacks voted pretty monolithically for white Democrats as well in the decades leading up to Obama’s election.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

He didn’t. He just said he was leaving and wouldn’t be coming back. He’s not banned, but I wouldn’t blame him for not coming back, since someone on here was obsessed enough about him to find out his real name, the college where he works, etc.

Here’s a tip: Don’t leave bread crumbs. If I tell you to lock your car doors, it doesn’t mean I’m going to try and steal your car, just that I know other people might. I won’t try and track down your identity, but someone else might, and they’ll only be able to if you leave them enough information to get on your trail.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

yeah, but not because they weren’t racist right? My argument is that if Blacks voted purely based on race that they would’ve never voted for any white man ever, which historically they have. So the whole race argument is nonsense…hence your argument.

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Well, I didn’t read any comments before this one:
Odumbocare must be stopped no matter what happens! It “seals” our national bankruptcy.

Amazing that the liberals don’t care!

RedCrow on July 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Dude, you’re boxing against shadows. Nobody is saying blacks vote monolithically for Democrats because they’re racist. The vast majority of Democratic politicians they’ve voted for over the past few decades have been white. If Allen West was the GOP nominee and Joe Biden was the Dem nominee, Biden would win the black vote in a landslide.

The point that I’m making, and that KingGold is making, and that Allen West is making….it’s all the same point, and it has nothing to do with racism. The point is that blacks vote monolithically for one party, and the GOP is trying to change that.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM

The only part of the general punditry I disagree with is the disclaimer that Romney has no chance of winning any votes with it.

That’s just wrong. No matter what absurd percentage of blacks is voting for Obama, the votes at the margins of any group are still contested. If Romney wins 15% of blacks, he’s our next President. If black turnout is near 2010 levels – i.e., black voters aren’t energized to vote for Obama – Romney is our next President.

The bottom line is that most plays for racial votes are pandering and enemy-making exercises that create animosity with other races. Like so:

I.e. payoffs, pandering, and affirmative action. With this speech, Romney possibly made small headway at the margins of a racial group without costing a single white vote. That’s nothing to sneeze at…at least until the returns come in.

HitNRun on July 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM

HitNRun on July 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM

This is sad commentary. True, but sad.

RedCrow on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM

RebeccaH on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I think you’re right. Romney lost nothing by appearing at the function. But I think he was actually talking over the heads of the NAACP attendees and directing his message to American voters at large.

minnesoter on July 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Romney went and did NOT pander or push anything other than all inclusive ideas.
He was there to make his case to Americans. Not Black people or African Americans.
He was treating this crowd of people like he treats everyone.
Respectfully!

Among the boos were also some who applauded. They will hopefully voting for someone other than a Socialist and for a party who treats all people the SAME. A party that doesn’t divide people into groups.
Hopefully, some in the crowd will vote for a way out of poverty and handouts. Hopefully, some in the crowd will vote Republican.

Delsa on July 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Romney: I expected to be booed by the NAACP when I mentioned ObamaCare

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You conveniently forget that in 2008 O’bama set a new alltime record by winning 70% of the High School Dropout Vote.

No other candidate had ever done that before, except for Democrat Al Gore, who got 61% of the HS Dropout Vote in 2000.

FAIL–

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

ddrintn on July 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

lol, have you two announced your wedding date yet, or are you just living together?

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

So libfree points out the truth about Tyrone West

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Please tell us what you consider “the truth” to be about Allen West.

In your own words.

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Most black people don’t think alike. Most black people just vote alike.”

Yes, because blacks overwhelmingly will vote for a black candidate over a white candidate because most blacks are racists. They are also incredibly stupid since the democrat party they also overwhelmingly support also created the KKK and kept them from voting for so long even after emancipation.

Most blacks don’t even know that MLK was a republican, as was Lincoln.

Stupid is as stupid does.

woodNfish on July 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

With the exception of gay marriage you could easily be a Republican.

sharrukin on July 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Dick Cheney isn’t easily a Republican?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

That’s the first, and apparently only, inference you can come up to explain why he did what he did? If anyone needed any evidence that you are a small, unhappy person….

Bizarro No. 1 on July 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Dick Cheney isn’t easily a Republican?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM

No not easily. He’s still a Republican but its a point where he differs from most Republicans.

sharrukin on July 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

You got it wrong, kid. Any strong Black man that dares to stray off the Liberal Plantation is called an Uncle Tom.

kingsjester on July 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I cannot believe you forgot to mention “Oreo”, too!

Bizarro No. 1 on July 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

It wasn’t very nice, but since just the day before Mr. Libfreeordie was advocating democrat operatives posting videos and personal information of Republican representatives on the internet, it does have sort of a karma feel to it. It’s okay as long as it happens to other people, just not to him?

Night Owl on July 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You seem upset. As for pandering ****’s, I don’t think anyone can hold a candle to Obama in that regard.

Night Owl on July 12, 2012 at 12:00 AM

You’re right, the NAACP has a proud history, which is why I don’t begrudge the standard members. However, lil’ Ben Jealous is a far cry from the likes of W.E.B. DuBois.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The same W.E.B. Du Bois who opposed the Korean War because he believed it was attempt by imperialist whites to keep colored people down, who believed capitalism was responsible for poverty and racism, who thought that communism might be the best route to achieve racial harmony, who called the USSR the “most hopeful country on earth”, who ran for Senate in 1950 as a member of the American Labor Party, and who became a Communist in 1961? That W.E.B. Du Bois?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Romney, bravo!
This has the effect of energizing conservatives, and of helping convince the wider electorate that you are a man of principle, and you vibrant and strong to boot! Keep looking for these types of publicity opportunities, where you stand firm on a conservative principle, especially if it has some degree of “controversy,” because that gets attention, and attention is what you need in this case. Fight the misperception that you are an opportunist that tones down all your viewpoints to the least offensive common denominator.

anotherJoe on July 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I loved what Mitt said on Neil Cavuto was great, Loved the write up AP.

boogaleesnots on July 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Uppereastside

Taking a page from humpbot salvation, I am now revealing the identity of uppereastside.

xblade on July 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM

…so what?…I’d give everybody my name and address…I don’t care. I write letters to the editor…I don’t sign my letters KOOLAID2!

KOOLAID2 on July 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Suck what tough guy?

Bmore on July 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Yes, the exact same one. MLK was a commie sympathizer who cheated on his wife. None of them were perfect men, just like our founders weren’t perfect men, but they stood for something and fought for their rights when it was a difficult, dangerous thing to do. Ben Jealous is a little creep who can’t compare to either of them.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 12, 2012 at 3:22 AM

anyone aware that in the video above at the 00:34 or 00:35 mark, someone edited the audio so it sounds like Romney is calling the cacous and it previous director “faags”?

beselfish on July 12, 2012 at 7:12 AM

The more speeches he makes, the more words we have to hold him to. I think it did show a level of courage to go before an obviously hostile audience like that. As an historically anti-Mitt I am encouraged.

swinia sutki on July 12, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I wonder when Romney will begin his effort to energize the GOP base. To date he has yet to do so, and it shows:

Romney Faces Conservatives’ Calls to Deliver Counterpunch

DannoJyd on July 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM

If you say black people need you are racist because they will tell the Republican black people aren’t the same. You speak as individuals they will say it doesn’t fit in to what black people want. The NAACP and the democratic party have created problems so they can fix them. It isn’t something you can tell people and make them understand. It is like an addiction. You Can be around like a friend and be the cool guy who was there to help when people generally need it. Republicans don’t do that.

Republicans generally just want to live our own lives and do what we have to do. It is a tough mix between the two, but I’d rather people learn from republicans/conservatives rather than the alternative.

I as a republican don’t like it when we treat people Like cattle…whether it is a willing thing or not. The more people we approach the less we have to deal with democratic values. If ti is work then fine…that is what we do well.

tomas on July 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Fortunately, Biden will be doing the work that Mitt refuses to do, namely giving people in the NAACP a REASON to consider supporting Willard:

Biden to offer rebuttal to Romney at NAACP

If anyone can get the vote out for Mitt… LMAO!

DannoJyd on July 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM

FTA

Most black people don’t think alike. Most black people just vote alike.

Given JC Watts is correct on this then what is the point of engaging the black community any further, no matter how much you get them to think differently or “like you” they are still going to vote the same, as a bloc for democrats.

People vote money and the black community will not stop voting hand outs. Your own words JC Watts. Other than optics there is no other reason to engage the black community until they show independent thought and VOTE patterns.

Skwor on July 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I’m not sure how many in the crowd recognized it, but that’s what leadership looks like. Does anyone think that, with the economy the way it is, Romney would be calling Republicans only to the White House to hold a “strategy” session?

bflat879 on July 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Biden to offer rebuttal to Romney at NAACP

If anyone can get the vote out for Mitt… LMAO!

DannoJyd on July 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Nah even Biden will get this right, he will go to the plantation and offer good meals on weekends and free cigarettes / booze and the whole lot will applaud and run to vote democrat again.

Skwor on July 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM

“NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous called Romney’s positions “antithetical” to the organization’s interests in a statement.”

If Romney’s position w.r.t. embalmacare is “antithetical” to the NAACP’s interests, then the NAACP quite obviously needs to change their name to the NAOCPP- that is, the National Association for the Obstruction of Colored People’s Progress.

Jealous then says…

Useful idiot, is Jealous. This “intelligent leader” doesn’t understand that “health insurance” is in no way equal to “health care”. Great, you’ve got “health insurance”- how do you utilize said insurance when hundreds if not thousands of doctors are walking away from their jobs?

This “legislation” will not improve access to anything except higher costs, more paperwork, and a rapid diminishing of the number of medical professionals (check recent survey indicating 83% of doctors contemplating quitting due to the embalmacare idiocy). A side benefit is that thousands of small businesses across the country will not hire people thanks to the snarl of regulations that this “law” brings to anyone with the audacity to try and run a business.

So let’s see- millions more patients (assuming embalmacare works) with a vastly reduced number of doctors and associated medical professionals to provide service. Throw in increased costs due to taxes on medical equipment and increased bureaucratic oversight, plus potentially the entire Catholic Hospital network closing due to king putt’s facistastic decree that they must provide contraception to their employees. Funny, muslims are exempt from the whole healthcare scam due to their religious “beliefs”, yet lil’ choomie and cryptkeeper sebelius insist upon stomping all over Catholic doctrine with this moronic healthcare scam.

AND the cherry on the whole shite sundae is increased unemployment – the Black community already has a rate insanely higher than the national fake average, added unemployment should be great news, right?

Oh, yeah- this is a scenario that’s definitely a boon to providing for the needs of “African Americans”. As well as all Americans. Or not.

Let’s go with “Or not”.

Jealous is a sad dope. But he’s got his 30 odd pieces of silver, so it’s all good.

GrassMudHorsey on July 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

And if Romney had declined the invitation…

Romney is a racist Mormon!!1!!!1eleventy1!!!!!

gwelf on July 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM

The NAACP is simply irrelevant except as a black power & shakedown organization. The civil rights battles for African Americans have been more than won. All that’s left is a pressure & pester NAACP trying to exploit excessive “civil rights” laws & stupid white guilt for all it’s worth. Romney, by his speaking there, gave it more legitimacy than it deserves.

Chessplayer on July 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Romney has what it takes to be a leader of this country. He’s not afraid to walk into other peoples camps and state his case for what he thinks is necessary to help the majority. Romney has gained even more respect from me.

Cherokee on July 12, 2012 at 8:43 AM

“The establishment wonders why we can’t get more of the black vote,” he added. “It’s because it’s not doing the things necessary to establish a deeper relationship with the black community. Most black people don’t think alike. Most black people just vote alike”

J.C. Watts can’t really be this naive. Or, maybe he can. But when the dialog goes only one way, there really is no way to “do[ing] the things necessary to establish a deeper relationship with the black community”.

A deeper relationship is built upon truth and the truth is that the black community, generally speaking, has bought into a whole mess of lies, distortions, and untruths and until they come to deal with them, any attempts at establishing a “deeper relationship” with them must involve compromising truth and principles on the part of the Republican Party.

Cleombrotus on July 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I was watching Think Progress’s interview of people after the speech. These people whine about how MR can’t relate to them because he’s too white and rich. But somehow Nancy Pinocchio, John Kerry, Dianne Feinstein, and Bill Clinton relate to them even though they’re white and rich. Right. And they actually believe OBAMACARE is going to make their health care better. Again right. They apparently just repeat what they’re told to repeat by their “leaders”.

yhxqqsn on July 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM

…by the group that defines its membership by the color of their skin.

The irony in a racist group calling a non-racist member of the the party of abolution and civil rights is… overwhelming.

Some people are just stuck on stupid.

dominigan on July 12, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Cleo – unfortunately – you are correct. The black community lives on bribes and handouts. They vote how they are told, not how they think. The few exceptions to the rule, like a JC Watts, become republicans. Black democrats are looking for handouts, even if the handout is killing them. Sad.

Zomcon JEM on July 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Zomcon JEM on July 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM

The chains are acceptable as long as they are invisible.

SKYFOX on July 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM

sharrukin on July 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I guess it depends on how one defines “easily”, then!

Bizarro No. 1 on July 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 12, 2012 at 3:22 AM

What exactly did W.E.B. Du Bois stand for which was worth praising, besides racial/gender equality?

He didn’t like capitalism, blaming it for poverty and racism, to the point that he sided with the USSR over our form of government – IOW, he sounds like a negative, immature, counterproductive OWSer. That kind of thinking/attitude helps further black success in America, and somehow shows that he was significantly different than Jealous?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

sounds sounded

-FIFM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM

One of the very first things I learned about politics in the 1960s is that liberal candidates in New York held rallies on Wall Street at lunch time to get booed in front of the cameras for street cred with the Democrat base. Even John Lindsay, the moderate Republican did it.

SurferDoc on July 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM

“As the U.S. economic recovery approaches its fourth year, the unemployment rate among blacks has started to rise again.
That rate moved from 13.6 percent in January to 14.4 percent in June, while the overall unemployment rate fell from 8.3 percent to 8.2 percent.

… and the black underemployment rate is closer to 23 percent nationally.”

Read more: Unemployment hitting Black middle class in the U.S. – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_21056321/unemployment-hitting-black-middle-class#ixzz20Q0w0QqT

only a few will step forward, be branded race traitors, and mention just how hard black americans have been hit by the economic policies of the first black POTUS. it’s racism and insidious, destructive denial. just because someone is the same race as you doesn’t mean they have your best interests in mind. if blacks objectively reflected on the deleterious effect this president has had on not only the economy but race relations in themselves and honestly voted their own best interests for security and prosperity- they would not vote for obama but vote to remove him from office and reverse his caustic policies.

as the minister who supported romney at the NAACP speech said- results matter. if bush had plunged african americans( and for black teenagers the unemployment rate is something like 40%) into spiraling unemployment rates the screams of racism would be deafening and unending. you know someone by their works- and liberals like obama have done nothing but destroy black families and black prosperity , chaining an entire segment of of society to a destructive and self destructive culture of dependence posing falsely and cynically as ‘pay back’ and some sort of reparations. it’s not empowering, this racial pandering, it’s the exact opposite.

mittens on July 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I doubt he’ll win any votes for showing up

Inner Eeyore.. just can’t help it…

gatorboy on July 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

> “signals his fundamental misunderstanding of the needs of many African Americans.” – Ben Jealous

And there’s the problem. We need to care about the needs of Americans, not African Americans. It’s time to put skin color politics behind us, and most current black leaders are the greatest obstruction to doing that.

paul1149 on July 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Got it. Yeah I assure you, whoever he is, I’m not him.

StoneKrab on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Stoner’s been around for a long time. From what I recall he’s a virulently anti-Fox, pro-Media Matters liberal who claims to be a black Iraqi vet (well, he may not be a vet, but that’s what his handle stands for – StoneKrab is the call sign for the 506 AEG, a pretty bad-ass group of flyboys in Iraq attached to the 332 AEW, which itself was originally formed by the Tuskegee Airmen, but I digress).

He has a history as a Beck basher and a Fox hater, and I’ll be interested to see if his rhetoric has mellowed at all.

AJsDaddie on July 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM

You mad bro? Mad I called him Jose? Hurts your feelings doesn’t it?

Uppereastside on June 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

That’s his middle name. Marco Jose Rubio.

Uppereastside on June 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I read it somewhere here that his middle name was Jose.

Uppereastside on June 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM

So libfree points out the truth about Tyrone West…

Uppereastside on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

rogerb on July 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Will Obama be speaking at the National Rifle Association?
You know, the actual oldest civil rights group in the nation?

Dexter_Alarius on July 12, 2012 at 12:20 PM