Open thread: Romney to speak at NAACP; Update: Excerpts added

posted at 9:21 am on July 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Mitt Romney makes his pitch to the oldest civil-rights organization in the US today with a 9:30 speech to the NAACP at its annual convention.  Republican presidential candidates usually make this one of the stops in election years, although Republican Presidents don’t usually return.  George W. Bush skipped the convention in 2004 after attending in 2000, an appearance that was followed by an NAACP ad in that election cycle that tried to blame Bush for the dragging death of James Byrd in Texas for Bush’s opposition to “hate crime” legislation. (It’s worth noting that Byrd’s white-supremacist murderers got the death penalty for that despicable murder even without having “hate crime” laws on the books.)

The Washington Post reports that the appearance is part of an attempt by Team Romney to reach outside the GOP’s base:

The NAACP visit is the former Massachusetts governor’s attempt to move beyond the traditional Republican Party base by trying to deliver a message that the GOP is serious about attracting black voters.

Critics say the effort is pointless for his chances in November. Supporters say it is important for the future of the party.

Romney’s campaign began preliminary outreach efforts in May by hiring a senior black consultant to engage African American voters and by visiting a predominantly black charter school in Philadelphia. Campaign officials say those efforts will be expanded in the coming weeks in an effort to wrest as many votes as possible from President Obama.

“The governor is committed to competing in the black community. The odds are high, it’s challenging, but every percentage point that we chip away from President Obama counts,” said Tara Wall, who is consulting with the Romney campaign on outreach efforts. “There are shared values with this community around faith, family, free enterprise and education. He will highlight his record in terms of addressing health, wealth and disparity gaps and show clear distinctions between him and Obama.”

Romney will stick to the economy and avoid any divisive topics, the Daily Caller reports.  In other words, don’t expect Romney to discuss Operation Fast and Furious today:

When asked if Romney plans to talk about any of the aforementioned issues during his Wednesday NAACP convention speech, though, campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul replied with just one word to The Daily Caller: “Economy,” she wrote.

Romney’s decision to avoid talking about anything but the economy when heading into a potentially unpleasant situation — like he’s doing by speaking to NAACP on the same stage as Holder spoke the day before, while refusing to address his criticism of him — is a campaign tactic that has drawn fierce criticism from conservatives as of late.

Does anyone really expect — or want — Romney to go to the NAACP and spend his time arguing that Holder should be fired?  Please.  That’s not an argument that Romney needs to make today — or actually any other day, at least not until voters engage on that topic.  Darrell Issa is doing just fine in pursuing the civil contempt charge, as polls have already shown, and the GOP should stick to the legal strategy for now.  Voters care about the economy, and every time Romney engages on other topics, he wastes an opportunity to hit Obama where he’s weakest.

Plus, the economy should be an even more important topic today.  While Obama and Democrats claim to be happy to be adding jobs at a pace of 65,200 per month during the recovery, the topline jobless rate for African-Americans is 14.4%.  That’s up from 13.0% just two months ago, and darned close to the 14.8% it was at the start of the recovery.  That’s where Romney’s focus should be — and perhaps on school choice, the best opportunity for black children to escape failing urban school districts and have a better chance at economic success in the future.

We’ll add the speech later today.  If we can find an embeddable live-video stream of the speech, we’ll add that as well.

Update: Yes, I screwed up the tag on the headline.  Yes, I had already had my first cup of coffee.  Obvious lesson: Time to move to a richer blend.

Team Romney released some excerpts from the prepared speech, and as I figured, Romney is sticking to the economy and school choice:

You all know something of my background, and maybe you’ve wondered how any Republican ever becomes governor of Massachusetts in the first place. Well, in a state with 11 percent Republican registration, you don’t get there by just talking to Republicans. We have to make our case to every voter. We don’t count anybody out, and we sure don’t make a habit of presuming anyone’s support. Support is asked for and earned – and that’s why I’m here today. …

… I believe that if you understood who I truly am in my heart, and if it were possible to fully communicate what I believe is in the real, enduring best interest of African American families, you would vote for me for president. I want you to know that if I did not believe that my policies and my leadership would help families of color — and families of any color — more than the policies and leadership of President Obama, I would not be running for president. …

… I am running for president because I know that my policies and vision will help hundreds of millions of middle class Americans of all races, will lift people from poverty, and will help prevent people from becoming poor. My campaign is about helping the people who need help. The course the President has set has not done that – and will not do that. My course will.

When President Obama called to congratulate me on becoming the presumptive Republican nominee, he said that he, quote, “looked forward to an important and healthy debate about America’s future.” To date, I’m afraid that his campaign has taken a different course than that.

If someone had told us in the 1950s or 60s that a black citizen would serve as the forty-fourth president, we would have been proud and many would have been surprised. Picturing that day, we might have assumed that the American presidency would be the very last door of opportunity to be opened. Before that came to pass, every other barrier on the path to equal opportunity would surely have to come down.

If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, then a chronically bad economy would be equally bad for everyone. Instead, it’s worse for African Americans in almost every way. The unemployment rate, the duration of unemployment, average income, and median family wealth are all worse for the black community. In June, while the overall unemployment rate remained stuck at 8.2 percent, the unemployment rate for African Americans actually went up, from 13.6 percent to 14.4 percent.

Americans of every background are asking when this economy will finally recover – and you, in particular, are entitled to an answer.

If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, black families could send their sons and daughters to public schools that truly offer the hope of a better life. Instead, for generations, the African-American community has been waiting and waiting for that promise to be kept. Today, black children are 17 percent of students nationwide – but they are 42 percent of the students in our worst-performing schools.

When it comes to education reform, candidates cannot have it both ways – talking up education reform, while indulging the same groups that are blocking reform. You can be the voice of disadvantaged public-school students, or you can be the protector of special interests like the teachers unions, but you can’t be both. I have made my choice: As president, I will be a champion of real education reform in America, and I won’t let any special interest get in the way.

I will give the parents of every low-income and special needs student the chance to choose where their child goes to school. For the first time in history, federal education funds will be linked to a student, so that parents can send their child to any public or charter school, or to a private school, where permitted. And I will make that a true choice by ensuring there are good options available to all.

Should I be elected President, I’ll lead as I did when governor. I will look for support wherever there is good will and shared conviction. I will work with you to help our children attend better schools and help our economy create good jobs with better wages.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What would mitt gain by standing in front of College Republicans? the Chamber of Commerce? an NRA gathering? a Tea Party? Would he move the needle much?? Nope– all of those people are most likely going to vote for him anyway. Mitt doesn’t need to come talk to me because he astutely knows that i’ll pull the lever for him anyway (because I have no other choices). He’s merely trying to go where the people are hurting, engage them on that plane, appeal to their parental instincts and pocketbooks, and ask them to take a risk with him. There will be a few that will do just that.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

If some group in the audience heckles him do you think there will be supportive folks to drown it in applause? What if somebody stops him in the midst of speech and asks a question. Who do you the audience will agree with? Hell, do you even think there will even a single applause at any point in the speech? Remember what happened in Philly. I agree they themselves will be shown in bad light due to such behavior. But as long as they can take down Romney, do you think they will care? Moreover they will become heroes in their own community.

Bad move.

CoolAir on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

By that logic he ought to shun every venue that might be unfavorable to him and just stick with being interviewed by Fox News in Utah, no? Besides, I’m sure they didn’t give Bush or McCain a warm reception, but I don’t remember anyone caring about it the next day.

Look, it’s not going to move the needle among black voters…Romney knows that, as does Obama (which is why he’s not even bothering to show). But not making the effort is far worse.

changer1701 on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

changer1701 on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

right on. Mitt has to go outside his comfort zone. He needs to sow seeds of doubt in Obama’s base, face the music, and stand in the gap. That’s what we expect President’s to do. I don’t care if he gets some heat–he needs to. Better expose him to some NAACP heat now because, once elected, then he’s going to get Vladimir Putin’s heat in the form of Russian warships off Syria.
/perspectives

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

these comments on this thread are…..eye-opening. you seem to be the only person that “gets” it.

Most likely, this is part of a long-term plan to have Mitt get out and talk to every voter.

peachaeo on July 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

changer1701 on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I challenge that paradigm. If I were the father of 3-4 kids in crappy schools and couldn’t find a job, I’d have to look long and hard at the guy I voted for and explore his character. If we continue to think that there are no men and women (in the black community) that are out there doing that, then we are utterly fooling ourselves. At some point, the race card doesn’t put food on the table, gas in the tank, or knowledge into the kiddos—EVERYONE knows that.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

well hell, i guess mitt should make plans to attend the democrat national convention! its one thing to “go outside your comfort zone” its another to jump right into enemy territory. this time would be better spent out w/ the public talking to voters that there is a chance of convincing instead of voters who will demonize him every chance they get

chasdal on July 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

peachaeo on July 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

thanks. Mitt doesn’t need to talk to every voter but he needs to get at the centers of gravity. We are really at a tipping point between 3-4 generations of socialism versus a return to a capitalistic and patriotic United States. I’m sensing that a few calculated pushes at the right points and Mitt could develop a landslide. This November, there will be people on their deathbeds getting rolled to the polls to vote against Obama and his failures.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Bad move.

CoolAir on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I doubt he’ll be heckled – seriously. It’s become increasingly difficult to justify the existence of the NAACP in the year 2012. And, if their audience acts like a bunch of clowns instead of a bunch of sober, rational adults, it will reflect much worse on their organization than it will Romney.

The Count on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Excerpts sound pretty dang good

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Yep. I’m also sure at least some in the audience are aware that Barry closed down the popular private school scholarship availabiity in D.C. for kids from ghetto schools. Drip, drip, drip.

a capella on July 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Yes, the race card does put food on the table in the form of an entitlement spending quid pro quo. And I wouldn’t be so fast to assume that everyone can tell the difference between a good and bad president no matter what is in their face.

michaelthomas on July 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Racist Mormon speaks at racist black event!!

SouthernGent on July 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM

chasdal on July 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

You’ve never read Sun Tzu, have you?

The best defense is an offense.

Mitt is not going in there guns a’ blazing–this is still US politics. If he and his advisers can properly sense that there are some very real (and Democrat-related) problems in the black community, then they would be remiss to avoid those voters. Continuing the premise that “you’ll never move the needle” is asinine. What if Mitt Romney selects Allen West, Condi Rice etc as a VP??? Would this decision seem as foolish?

/doubtful

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

chasdal on July 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I agree with ted c on this one, mostly. I think there are different, valid reasons not to speak to the NAACP — but the biggest one would be to disdain the incredible racism and irresponsibility that’s been flung from that podium of late.

But all those concerns have cooled a little, and people don’t seem to be remembering just how bad that podium has been lately … so, I guess, go forth and hack.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

ha…

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on July 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

And yet the evangelicals are threatening to stay home.

Not voting is a vote for Obama

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

when it comes down to gametime, there will be a black man and a black woman who will pull a curtain closed behind them with full knowledge that their beautiful little children will or are attending a school training ground for prison down the block and they will have to reconcile the policies of “D” Barack Obama –the man that shut down vouchers on kids like their or “R” Mitt Romney– who pitched a voucher plan to their faces.

That calculation will have to be made. Let’s not discount it.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Explain Marion Barry.

Oldnuke on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

This was a “heads I win, tails you lse” thing for Romney. If he had skipped the NAACP, there would have been brickbats thrown at him, even by some Republicans.

And believe me, this is not totally about trying to win actual votes from African-Americans. It’s sending cues to socially liberal white suburbanites, who have largely given up on Obama but still aren’t sold on voting for a Republican.

rockmom on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Let’s hope the NAACP hasn’t reduced itself to this:

Opportunity? The heck with that, “Give up the bucks!”

WisRich on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

And yet the evangelicals are threatening to stay home.

Not voting is a vote for Obama

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Not voting is a prerequisite for keeping your mouth shut for 4 years and a coward’s way of avoiding blame.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

That calculation will have to be made. Let’s not discount it.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I agree with your perspective, but let’s face it, there aren’t any men in that scenario. Two-parent black families have already fled the urban public schools. That’s a huge part of the problem.

rockmom on July 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Explain Marion Barry.

Oldnuke on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

he is an exception to my exceptional theory.

(or maybe its just naive)

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Ted c, thanks for doing all of my typing for me.. I’m with you, all the way.

pambi on July 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

rockmom on July 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

and therein lies another problem–also Democrat related and black community associated. Can Mitt ask the question “Hey, where are the fathers of these children?”

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

It’s also what got us into this mess back in 2006, allowing the Democrats to take control of the Congress

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

rockmom on July 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Would Barak Obama ask “Where are the fathers of these children?”

….what would be the response?…

…..*crickets*……

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I keep trying to warm up to Romney, but I just can’t. Equal opportunity is the law of the land and is reality. What causes higher rates of unemployment in the African American community is not racism, but lack of qualifications including education. Education is there for the taking and black culture that rejects education is the problem, not racism.

huckleberryfriend on July 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Any vote he manages to get at the NAACP is one vote that Obama was counting on. I wonder though if the number of votes he gets there today will outweigh the votes lost when MSNBC shows him being struck with rotten vegetables in the middle of his speech.

Browncoatone on July 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM

pambi on July 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

time for you to tag in. I needsta gets some work done.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM

For Romney it’s a no win but cut the loses situation. Normal people have to make an appearance before this group of old racist parasites. Vindictive and stupid, note the comment on the Byrd murder above, it gives them a moment of importance before they fade back to their usual obscurity. It’s something he must do and it’s a shame to have to lower himself doing it. If not imagine the additional hate to be heaped on him.

arand on July 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I wish to God this were Palin making that speech. The thread would be into the thousands.

victor82 on July 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM

After that hit the fan, you’d never, ever get the room clean again. There would be follow-up threads into August. :)

And yet the evangelicals are threatening to stay home.

Not voting is a vote for Obama

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I’m evangelical and I’ve heard not a whisper of that. I wish I were MadCon so I could tell you what I really think of that. :) And this is just not true:

Teavengelicals would love to see former Arkansas Governor and talk show host Mike Huckabee get the Romney nod, but that’s not likely to happen, Brody agrees. Romney needs the Teavengelical vote, but he won’t pander to it quite that much.

And this shows how unserious the whole analysis is:

“The folks that were actually voting for Herman Cain and Bachmann and Santorum, they’ll show up and vote for Romney even if they have to hold their nose, that’s not the issue. The question is, are they going to bring a friend?

Only Huckabee still wants Huckabee for anything.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

If Mitt failed to speak to the NAALCP, he’d be called a racist. Speaking to them, in the MSLM, is him being a racist and ‘condescending’ to address them and ‘pandering’ (you know he didn’t really want to do it!).

Among the liberal media, any Pub candidate is his own two-edged sword for them to use against him; the story writes itself, so to speak.

I don’t believe any minds will be changed among this professional panhandling reparations-seeking organization. And if the whole speech is as good as the excerpts indicate, the MSM won’t quote it. They’ll just find two or three attendees to say he was pandering, talking down to them, what-have-you.

It’s a no-win situation for Mitt in the media. The reality, though, might well prove to be a difference in his favor. Or, at least, I like to hope.

Liam on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

he is an exception to my exceptional theory.

(or maybe its just naive)

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Exception?

Charlie Rangel
Maxine Waters
Sheila Jackson Lee
John Conyers
Adam Clayton Powell (and yes I remember him)

Oldnuke on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

If this is something that Republican Presidential candidates usually do, why is it being reported as if it is some unheard-of, atypical move by Team Romney?

Oops, I forgot. Republicans are deeply racist white people for whom outreach to the black community is a revolutionary concept.

Oh, and Mitt Romney is a Mormon. Because Mormons hate blacks even more than ordinary white folks do, no-one expected Romney to do what every other Republican candidate for President has done since whenever.

I hope I don’t need a sarc tag for this.

That article is deeply insulting to Romney, and to Republicans in general.

Mr. Arkadin on July 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Including the whole cast of cartoon characters from Disneyland and Looney Toons. Naruto might even show up! Voter ID not required. Keep voting til the inkblot runs dry or the precinct runs out of ballots. Wear different NBA ball caps and fake different accents. Make good use of your local telephone directory, i.e. random acts of posing. WINNING!

racquetballer on July 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

arand on July 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

he’s not lowering himself to do it. It’s neutral ground for him and potentially fruitful. To him, as a candidate, just another pitch to voters that he sees might potentially make a choice for him. If they choose otherwise, ok then–freedom to choose. Those that lower the boom on him for no other reason than he is Mitt Romney, shame themselves only.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I hope you are correct. I was stunned when I saw this, then Fox News covered it. I just hope it is another case of the media trying to keep our attention.

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Oldnuke on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

lotsa suckers born over the last few decades, huh?…/

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM

My feeling is that the black vote is Barrack’s. It’s his for the same reason it was his in the last election. He’ll still get over 90% of the black vote but more will sit out the next election.

Oldnuke on July 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

This could quickly turn into a comedy of errors. Mitt better not go off-script…not one syllable…or he may not make it out of there!

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

And yet the evangelicals are threatening to stay home.

Not voting is a vote for Obama

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I really hope that’s just baseless speculation. One thing we absolutely know about Romney is that he’s devout.

The idea that evangelicals would shun Romney simply because his worship of Jesus Christ doesn’t happen the same way as theirs, is unsettling to say the least.

KingGold on July 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Live on msdnc…. sounds real good

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

And yet the evangelicals are threatening to stay home.

Not voting is a vote for Obama

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That’s a might wide brush you’re using.

Evangelicals for Mitt

Poll: Only 18 percent of voters indicate anti-Mormon bias

Iowa’s Evangelicals Softening Toward Romney

Flora Duh on July 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Romney on Fox, doing a good job, and receiving applause.

spypeach on July 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM

And yet the evangelicals are threatening to stay home.

Not voting is a vote for Obama

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

That’s a might wide brush you’re using.

Poll: Only 18 percent of voters indicate anti-Mormon bias

Iowa’s Evangelicals Softening Toward Romney

Flora Duh on July 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

+1 … an actual voice of reason here at hotgas.. who’d have thunk it

gatorboy on July 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I’m sure there are some black voters doing a bit of navel gazing, but I don’t think a speech before the NAACP changes the fact they’re the Dems most reliable voting bloc. Does that mean it’s not worth the effort? Hell no. Does it mean at least a few in that audience won’t come away wondering what the Dems have done for them lately? Of course not. But, when they routinely capture over 90% of those votes by not even trying very hard, that’s gonna be a tough nut to crack. Doesn’t mean you don’t try, but I wouldn’t expect Obama’s share of the black vote, at the end of the day, to vary much from what he got in ’08.

changer1701 on July 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Maybe there is a poll somewhere that would actually show it? Till I’m corrected, I’ll just … I’ll assume it’s some strange “conventional” wisdom and talking heads passing ideas in a circle. :)

1 Evangelical: 1st Choice: Jindal!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Rombo should have walked on stage carrying a loaf of pumpernickel.

Bishop on July 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Oldnuke on July 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

that’s probably an accurate prediction. I’d say that their votes are largely Democratic, but if there are a few points shaved off the top then things can change dramatically. Most likely case–most blacks vote Obama. Next likely case–most blacks vote obama, some stay home (benefit romney). Least likely–most blacks still vote obama, some stay home, a few vote romney--all benefits romney.

2 cent

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Oh O, just got booed, for saying he’ll remove Obamacare.

spypeach on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

KingGold on July 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

If the Mormon/Christian thing goes too far, Mitt can always mention that Nixon was of the Society of Friends (Quaker)–a much smaller affiliation than the Mormons. No one seemed to have a problem with that, did they?

Liam on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Been listening to excerpts on the radio .. majorly awesome speech.
He’s getting applause when promoting free enterprise, esp in depressed areas.
Likin’ this !

pambi on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Keep on wish-casting. Just like that Bradley Effect every conservative was counting on in 2008.

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Got booed for saying he’ll repeal obamacare

The lsm woll ONLY focus on that

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The sense of entitlement is strong.

kingsjester on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Oh O, just got booed, for saying he’ll remove Obamacare.

spypeach on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Really? Awesome!

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Good on him for not backing down on the Obamacare. He went on to say a few things he would do to fix problems with healthcare, and ended up with mild applause, so all and all, he’s really doing well.

spypeach on July 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

What Romney said about school choice could make a difference with these voters. There are lots of black parents who would welcome the opportunity to send their kids to private schools, or even public schools, outside the cities where they live, but can’t afford it.

While the NAACP meeting is hostile territory for Romney, it’s definitely a good idea for him to speak to them. Romney doesn’t have to win the black vote, but if he could get even 20% of the black vote, Obama would be in real trouble.

Steve Z on July 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Way to reach out to the conservative base there Mitt….at the NAACP. *sigh*

tencole on July 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

And yet the evangelicals are threatening to stay home.

Not voting is a vote for Obama

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Oh, and here’s a group that won’t be staying home.

Evangelicals for Mitt

Flora Duh on July 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Getting booed for criticising dear leader

Grow up naacp

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

He is not backing down in this speech. Good for him!

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Loving the boos!

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Way to reach out to the conservative base there Mitt….at the NAACP. *sigh*

tencole on July 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

You realize he can’t win with just the conservative base, right?

changer1701 on July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I cast no wishes bro…. just hypotheticals.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Loving the boos!

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

We’re shocked.

kingsjester on July 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

“Of course, it hasn’t happened quite that way. Many barriers remain. Old inequities persist. In some ways, the challenges are even more complicated than before. And across America — and even within your own ranks — there are serious, honest debates about the way forward.” – Willard Romney

Uh Huh …
How about we address the failure of affirmative action and the PC trend du jour of discriminating against White people, men in particular?

(i’ll save the comment re: what mittens and his think about blacks)
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on July 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Oh O, just got booed, for saying he’ll remove Obamacare.

spypeach on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I expected as much. But if he says anything about limiting cash bonuses for irresponsible breeding welfare benefits in the same speech, it’ll be ‘Katy bar the door’.

MelonCollie on July 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

He’s getting applause when promoting free enterprise, esp in depressed areas.
Likin’ this !

pambi on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

good for him. he’ll get some ups and downs I’m sure.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Oh O, just got booed, for saying he’ll remove Obamacare.

spypeach on July 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

He should say that he will only remove gay marriage couples from BarkyCare just to see the confused reaction.

“We don’t know whether to clap or boo.”

Bishop on July 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The lsm woll ONLY focus on that

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

“Public wants Affordable Care left alone.” :(

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Spy peach , the lsm wont show that last part…JUST the booing

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Loving the boos! Hating the applause!

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Fixed it for ya, Junior.

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Great speech thus far.

GOPRanknFile on July 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Axe *sigh*

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

But, het…I sure enjoyed Scooter’s speech at the Southern Baptist Covention, at their installation of their new Black President of the denomination. Oh, wait.

kingsjester on July 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

changer1701 on July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

i dont think he does.

awesome speech!! now go talk to some more people!

peachaeo on July 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Standing ovation! With that said, it probably won’t change a single mind, but I love the outreach. Take no vote for granted.

GOPRanknFile on July 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Loving the boos!

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The very definition of a troll…

TampaBayBull on July 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Msdnc talking heads give him an F for his policies and criticizing dear leader

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

He got an Obama dig in, too, saying if Pres, and invited back to speek to them, he WILL ! Applause !
LOL.

pambi on July 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I’m sure that Mr. O is shakin’ in his boots at having to face the NAACP now…..

what to do with them now that their interested in “free enterprise”??? Is he going to have the words “Free Enterprise” printed on the front of food stamps and Metro cards????

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Only focusing on the boo

Did we call it or did we call it

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Did you see the way they called him cracker and spat on him on his way off of the stage. Somebody call John Lewis and Emanuel Cleaver, the NAACP are racists! /s

TampaBayBull on July 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Got booed for saying he’ll repeal obamacare

The lsm woll ONLY focus on that

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Well, then Romney had better tailor his speeches to show that Obamacare is bad for all Americans, but in this case particularly worse for the identity group du jour.

The Dems worked overtime to make O-care a racial issue, starting with Pelosi’s gavel march to the House with the CBC members. Separating O-care from the racist argument will be the challenge for all GOP contenders.

onlineanalyst on July 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

lol … yeah.

But, hey, the LSM is losing. They are trusted by 6 people, 3 of them actually working as commentators on MSNBC. They have massive influence — but less every day. They mislead people — but with less impunity every day.

Just sayin’. :)

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

MSNBC, right on cue, re-playing the repealing of Obamacare booing.

Punchenko on July 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

inthemiddle on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Keep right on believing that it’s still 2008, Kid. That alone shows the flaw in your “thinking”. And I use that last word loosely in your case.

O’bama was an unknown in 2008. All people knew about what he would do as President is what he told them he would do as President.

Now that those people have seen what he has actually done in almost 4 years as President as opposed to what he said he would do as President, they won’t be fooled again.

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

F- on obamacare

Shut up talking head

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Obama isn’t bothering to attend; he’s sending block head Biden and the murderer Holder because the racist NAACP will vote skin color regardless of how bad Obama is.

jqc1970 on July 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

GOPRanknFile on July 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Of course it will….it shows he’s trying. Now he just needs to talk to real people, not organizations. Better for Romney to describe his plans than to have Obama do it for him.

peachaeo on July 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

95 percent of black voters will vote for Obama. Most blacks thing Repubs are mean, evil or racists, or all three. And it ain’t changing any time soon.

WordsMatter on July 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Based upon 2008 election vote totals – I’d say there is a 94% chance Romney is wasting his time. This is a constituency that is completely blinded by skin color.

BigOil on July 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

At the top of the hour, C-BS Radio “News” played (guess what?) the clip of Romney talking about O’bamacare and getting booed. No mention of all the times he was applauded.

In other words, Fake and Inaccurate.

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Only focusing on the boo

Did we call it or did we call it

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

So he was expected to get booed. He went in there said what he said and did not back down.

tbrickert on July 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I just watched it live and watched him get booed on Obamacare…while the rest of the speech was met largely with silence and small but polite applause.
I’m proud that he went there and stood his ground and made a great case for his educational reforms and how they will help black kids…using his Mass. work as governor to back up his words.
He may not get many converts…but I think anyone who listened to him in the audience will be less likely to demonize him as he came across as a man of good will and a good heart.

camaraderie on July 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

peachaeo on July 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I was talking about the minds of the people in that room. But I love what he’s doing.

GOPRanknFile on July 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Axe , I hear ya :)

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

jqc1970 on July 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Yup, Holder’s job was to talk about Rethuglicans denying the votes of people by requiring photo ID to vote. A photo ID was required to get into the convention to hear his speech.

And the reaction? Predictable.

The attorney general, the first Cabinet member ever held in contempt of Congress because of his refusal to hand over documents pertaining to a border guns operation called “Fast and Furious,” received a standing ovation after his address.

The convention also adopted an “emergency resolution” committing the association and its members to “strongly support” Holder’s efforts, especially in regard to voting rights. The resolution also called him one of the best attorneys general ever.

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM