Open thread: Romney to speak at NAACP; Update: Excerpts added

posted at 9:21 am on July 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Mitt Romney makes his pitch to the oldest civil-rights organization in the US today with a 9:30 speech to the NAACP at its annual convention.  Republican presidential candidates usually make this one of the stops in election years, although Republican Presidents don’t usually return.  George W. Bush skipped the convention in 2004 after attending in 2000, an appearance that was followed by an NAACP ad in that election cycle that tried to blame Bush for the dragging death of James Byrd in Texas for Bush’s opposition to “hate crime” legislation. (It’s worth noting that Byrd’s white-supremacist murderers got the death penalty for that despicable murder even without having “hate crime” laws on the books.)

The Washington Post reports that the appearance is part of an attempt by Team Romney to reach outside the GOP’s base:

The NAACP visit is the former Massachusetts governor’s attempt to move beyond the traditional Republican Party base by trying to deliver a message that the GOP is serious about attracting black voters.

Critics say the effort is pointless for his chances in November. Supporters say it is important for the future of the party.

Romney’s campaign began preliminary outreach efforts in May by hiring a senior black consultant to engage African American voters and by visiting a predominantly black charter school in Philadelphia. Campaign officials say those efforts will be expanded in the coming weeks in an effort to wrest as many votes as possible from President Obama.

“The governor is committed to competing in the black community. The odds are high, it’s challenging, but every percentage point that we chip away from President Obama counts,” said Tara Wall, who is consulting with the Romney campaign on outreach efforts. “There are shared values with this community around faith, family, free enterprise and education. He will highlight his record in terms of addressing health, wealth and disparity gaps and show clear distinctions between him and Obama.”

Romney will stick to the economy and avoid any divisive topics, the Daily Caller reports.  In other words, don’t expect Romney to discuss Operation Fast and Furious today:

When asked if Romney plans to talk about any of the aforementioned issues during his Wednesday NAACP convention speech, though, campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul replied with just one word to The Daily Caller: “Economy,” she wrote.

Romney’s decision to avoid talking about anything but the economy when heading into a potentially unpleasant situation — like he’s doing by speaking to NAACP on the same stage as Holder spoke the day before, while refusing to address his criticism of him — is a campaign tactic that has drawn fierce criticism from conservatives as of late.

Does anyone really expect — or want — Romney to go to the NAACP and spend his time arguing that Holder should be fired?  Please.  That’s not an argument that Romney needs to make today — or actually any other day, at least not until voters engage on that topic.  Darrell Issa is doing just fine in pursuing the civil contempt charge, as polls have already shown, and the GOP should stick to the legal strategy for now.  Voters care about the economy, and every time Romney engages on other topics, he wastes an opportunity to hit Obama where he’s weakest.

Plus, the economy should be an even more important topic today.  While Obama and Democrats claim to be happy to be adding jobs at a pace of 65,200 per month during the recovery, the topline jobless rate for African-Americans is 14.4%.  That’s up from 13.0% just two months ago, and darned close to the 14.8% it was at the start of the recovery.  That’s where Romney’s focus should be — and perhaps on school choice, the best opportunity for black children to escape failing urban school districts and have a better chance at economic success in the future.

We’ll add the speech later today.  If we can find an embeddable live-video stream of the speech, we’ll add that as well.

Update: Yes, I screwed up the tag on the headline.  Yes, I had already had my first cup of coffee.  Obvious lesson: Time to move to a richer blend.

Team Romney released some excerpts from the prepared speech, and as I figured, Romney is sticking to the economy and school choice:

You all know something of my background, and maybe you’ve wondered how any Republican ever becomes governor of Massachusetts in the first place. Well, in a state with 11 percent Republican registration, you don’t get there by just talking to Republicans. We have to make our case to every voter. We don’t count anybody out, and we sure don’t make a habit of presuming anyone’s support. Support is asked for and earned – and that’s why I’m here today. …

… I believe that if you understood who I truly am in my heart, and if it were possible to fully communicate what I believe is in the real, enduring best interest of African American families, you would vote for me for president. I want you to know that if I did not believe that my policies and my leadership would help families of color — and families of any color — more than the policies and leadership of President Obama, I would not be running for president. …

… I am running for president because I know that my policies and vision will help hundreds of millions of middle class Americans of all races, will lift people from poverty, and will help prevent people from becoming poor. My campaign is about helping the people who need help. The course the President has set has not done that – and will not do that. My course will.

When President Obama called to congratulate me on becoming the presumptive Republican nominee, he said that he, quote, “looked forward to an important and healthy debate about America’s future.” To date, I’m afraid that his campaign has taken a different course than that.

If someone had told us in the 1950s or 60s that a black citizen would serve as the forty-fourth president, we would have been proud and many would have been surprised. Picturing that day, we might have assumed that the American presidency would be the very last door of opportunity to be opened. Before that came to pass, every other barrier on the path to equal opportunity would surely have to come down.

Of course, it hasn’t happened quite that way. Many barriers remain. Old inequities persist. In some ways, the challenges are even more complicated than before. And across America — and even within your own ranks — there are serious, honest debates about the way forward.

If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, then a chronically bad economy would be equally bad for everyone. Instead, it’s worse for African Americans in almost every way. The unemployment rate, the duration of unemployment, average income, and median family wealth are all worse for the black community. In June, while the overall unemployment rate remained stuck at 8.2 percent, the unemployment rate for African Americans actually went up, from 13.6 percent to 14.4 percent.

Americans of every background are asking when this economy will finally recover – and you, in particular, are entitled to an answer.

If equal opportunity in America were an accomplished fact, black families could send their sons and daughters to public schools that truly offer the hope of a better life. Instead, for generations, the African-American community has been waiting and waiting for that promise to be kept. Today, black children are 17 percent of students nationwide – but they are 42 percent of the students in our worst-performing schools.

When it comes to education reform, candidates cannot have it both ways – talking up education reform, while indulging the same groups that are blocking reform. You can be the voice of disadvantaged public-school students, or you can be the protector of special interests like the teachers unions, but you can’t be both. I have made my choice: As president, I will be a champion of real education reform in America, and I won’t let any special interest get in the way.

I will give the parents of every low-income and special needs student the chance to choose where their child goes to school. For the first time in history, federal education funds will be linked to a student, so that parents can send their child to any public or charter school, or to a private school, where permitted. And I will make that a true choice by ensuring there are good options available to all.

Should I be elected President, I’ll lead as I did when governor. I will look for support wherever there is good will and shared conviction. I will work with you to help our children attend better schools and help our economy create good jobs with better wages.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You left out a letter, Ed. It’s the NAALCP.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Font color=red? That sounds serious! Hehe.

Meric1837 on July 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Close your tags, Ed.

I always knew HotAir had a rightward slant.

Abby Adams on July 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

And now everything is in italics? Did I take the wrong pill this morning or something?

Meric1837 on July 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

OMG…it’s font color=red>! RUN for your lives====>>>>!

Bishop on July 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Italicize ALL THE THINGS!!!

Flyover Country on July 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Romney to speak at NAACP

Ummm—Why bother?

dirtseller on July 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

font color=black> I hope he does well!

Gingotts on July 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

</IThis is goigbto be about like Robinson Cano's reception in Kansas City during the Home Run Derby Monday night. Which actually makes it a good place for Romney to get a point or two across, since anything he says short of endorsing Obama for president is going to get booed.

jon1979 on July 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I always knew HotAir had a rightward slant.

Abby Adams on July 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

heh!! ++

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

font color=red>Open thread: Romney to speak at NAACP

Bloggers… oh cmon, Ed. Its not THAT early anymore!

Valkyriepundit on July 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Hahahahahaha…it is a comfort to see that dumb stuff can happen even to a pro like Ed.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Font color=red? That sounds serious!

Meric1837 on July 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Are we back to color-coding terrorist threats?

Fallon on July 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Meric1837 on July 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

LOL — I told you this day would come. I WARNED ALL Y’ALL. Next up — Locusts.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

kick the hornet’s nest Mitt. Remind them that UE rate is 14.4% and they’re BROKE and Pookie’s couch cushions are done shook out!

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I admire Romney for making this appearance….but

I don’t think there’s much he will accomplish…

Isn’t this the same cast of characters who derided
a sitting President (Bush) during Coretta Scott King’s funeral??

ToddPA on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Still doesn’t beat Giant Rick Perry™.

Spannerhead on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

What he needs to talk about is how black men have shown to be some of the biggest entrpreneuers in the country, but it’s too easy to lose people who should be their future community business leaders to vice.

In other words, gang members have the drive and hustle of any Wall Streeter, but they get pulled into drugs and a police record before they have a chance.

budfox on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

LOL — I told you this day would come. I WARNED ALL Y’ALL. Next up — Locusts.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

heh. I thought it was frogs……

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Let’s see don’t go and they call you a racist and or go have them call you a racist anyway. Love this game, may as well go and cover the bases and 1 person’s mind is changed, but probably not.

gsherin on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

OMG…it’s font color=red>! RUN for your lives====>>>>!

Bishop on July 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Ed gave me my first laugh of the day. Bish gives me the second.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM

heh. I thought it was frogs……

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

HEY! I just remembered. Isn’t this Mary Katharine Ham’s first day?

Someone, get her away from the buttons!

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Can we loook forward to an appearance by Revrund Al asking:

“Yo Mitt, where’s the White women”??

ToddPA on July 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Romney should fire the guy who advised him to do this. While reaching out to the opposite side is a good idea, speaking at NAACP is an awful one. He is giving a lot of shameless people the opportunity to embarrass him and give him bad press.

CoolAir on July 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

As for Romney, no surprise that he lacks the moral clarity to speak directly to all Americans while telling this racist black-victimhood cabal to go eff themselves.

Too bad.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Use your negro dialect, Mitt!

The Rogue Tomato on July 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM

National
Association for the
Advantage of
Certain
People

Akzed on July 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM

CoolAir on July 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

But Romney doesn’t have the brass to say no.

mankai on July 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I think the act of going into the lion’s den is more important than the result. I’d still love to know what real good the NAALCP does for people of any color.

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I’m sure that Eugene Robinson et al are now preparing their “how dare he” faux outrage pieces aimed at Romney’s epidermis and its lack of melanin.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Rombo should come out and say “I ain’t no ways tiiiiirrrdddd!”

Bishop on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

NAALCP are a bunch of racists. Mitt’s just wasting his time.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

heh. I thought it was frogs……

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

How awesome would it be for a frog plague? It’s the boils plague that I want to avoid.

Fallon on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Look, if Mitt Romney can go and force Obama to defend there…..then that is a good thing.

Even if he were to call into question 2%…maybe 3% of those voters then that’s a BFD.
/saith Sheriff Joe

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Will libfreeordie break his self-imposed hotair exile to come back to call all of us racists one last time?

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Something tells me the audience will be less than gracious

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Waste of time.

Joe Mama on July 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Mitt, enough with the “black vote bloc is a monolith” meme. Treat them as individuals, then families. That is the least common denominator of interest here. Ya feelin’ me?

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

CoolAir on July 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Why, so they can embarrass him and give him bad press for ignoring black people or whatever by not speaking? We know they’re going to support the Dem, but it doesn’t hurt to give a speech in front of them.

changer1701 on July 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I do not look for him to be well-received and that’s an understatement.

kingsjester on July 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

It’s probably good that Romney goes. The NAACP is just waiting to throw the “Mormons hate blacks” card at him. This is a chance for Romney to get out in front of it with his family’s civil rights bona fides. In the end it likely won’t matter though, they’ll still smear him, but at least this way it would be openly disingenuous after speaking directly to the NAACP.

Meric1837 on July 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Will Romney be speaking with other racist, un-American organizations, or just the NAACP?

So gross – he shouldn’t waste his time.

Pork-Chop on July 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM

It sounds as if he went there with his hat in his hand and respectfully tried to pitch his case. The CBC and others will ask how dare he talk down to those people.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

He will be heckled just like Bush.

Wigglesworth on July 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Meh. Trolls are fungible. Not to mention they make good pinatas.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on July 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

mankai on July 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Come on, it takes a lot more brass to go speak to a hostile audience than to just say ‘no’ to them. Give the guy a little credit.

Meric1837 on July 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Romney is not campaigning for the black vote by going to this. He is campaigning for the guilty white Philadelphia and NOVA suburbanite vote.

swamp_yankee on July 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I do not look for him to be well-received and that’s an understatement.

kingsjester on July 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

But they’re not racist….

Oh noooooooo……….

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on July 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Ed
Its alright, we all make mistakes, except King Putt, I would start with a POT of coffee before doing headlines though……..;-)

angrymike on July 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Romney will stick to the economy and avoid any divisive topics, the Daily Caller reports. In other words, don’t expect Romney to discuss Operation Fast and Furious today:

wait, what? OF&F is a divisive topic? Holder received a bipartisan vote of contempt. I’d say that’s unifying. The only things that remain divided are the families of Brian Terry and 200 Mexicans. Oh, and about 1400 more weapons that we haven’t got any ideas as to where they are right now. Oh and yes, the US Border Patrol is alarmingly shutting down border control stations in southwestern states……..

related???

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Please dear Moroni I beg thee, make him drop his g’s. Also if you could throw in an inappropriate food anecdote I’d be greatly appreciative.

tommyhawk on July 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Obama sending in Biden to speak to NAACP:

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

CoolAir on July 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Nailed it. Real smooth move ex-lax! What’s next, a speech in front of a pro-Aztlan crowd?

Really, Romney, what’s there to say? “Pull up your pants, speak English, and quit trading your votes for welfare?”

MelonCollie on July 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Good luck, Mitt… wear your kevlar…

Khun Joe on July 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

This event will convince nor sway a single person there. If Romney was inspirational in any kind of way, maybe. Just not the kind of candidate we have atm.

And if anyone thinks this will give him cred with the MSM, or any libs for that matter, I laugh in your general direction.

Dongemaharu on July 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I suppose Romney would bring up the 14% black un-employment rate but anger them with getting a J-O-B as a solution to that, rather than federal financial compensation.

Marcus on July 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

From what the Houston Chronicle reports there are not many that showed up for this spectacle but they got to hear a second stringer yesterday harp about Texas voter ID bill even though you must have a pictured ID to get in.

docflash on July 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I believe that distinction belongs to the National Rifle Association.

MPC on July 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Mitt’s speech, from the excerpts above, is quite a contrast to anything Oblowhard can say.

My fave part is where he explained how a Republican in MA can win the governorship: he got voters to cross party lines. In contrast, Obladeeoblada wrote off white middle class voters month ago.

Hopefully Mitt will keep rolling like this, to showcase the stark differences between him and the current squatter in our White House.

Liam on July 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Big opportunity.

Speakup on July 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Has Oblamer scheduled himself for the National Roughneck Convention?

hillsoftx on July 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

What the F**K could go wrong?

Romney had to do this, you know. It’s what the GOP does. Pander to an organization run by bought-and-paid for Democratic Organizers who happen to be black so he can pander to the Independents and the Good Gummint RINO Squishtards like John Huntsman who are burdened with White Guilt.

They will still run a commercial blaming him for the death of James Byrd.

Oh, wait. Wrong Election.

I wish to God this were Palin making that speech. The thread would be into the thousands.

victor82 on July 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Dongemaharu on July 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I don’t think Mitt even has to go that far. All that he has to do is sow the seeds of doubt about the President’s policies. You never know what will happen. Consider how fertile the ground may be there—UE rate of 14.4%, children in sh!tty schools and zero ZERO jobs on the horizon. That’s a hard sell for an incumbent to face when he’s asking for four more years. The challenger has to merely make those peeps question their current existence and Mitt may just spark a wildfire or fan the flames of one that is already smoldering.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Dongemaharu on July 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I think the intent is to give him cred with the feel-good mushy moderate morons who fell for Hope & Change last time around.

rhombus on July 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Obama sending in Biden to speak to NAACP:

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

heh!!! When you care enough to send the very BEST!! send in Sheriff Joe.

bring in the clowns.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Excerpts sound pretty dang good

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Looks like Mitt missed a golden opportunity to talk about his father’s stellar role as a civil rights trailblazer.

Buy Danish on July 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Obama sending in Biden to speak to NAACP:

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

must have a golf outing or a fundraiser with Clooney. A real ‘man of the people’ that guy. Betcha he stays at a HoJo.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM

It’s tough for any GOPer in that room. Obama is still revered in the black community because he is the First (for Real, now) Black President, even though he has no slave lineage in him.

The black community might waver on him some, but it’s a question of moving from 95% support down to, perhaps, 92% support.

The James Byrd Dragging Death commercial is out there, somewhere, that applies to Mitt Romney. It’s just waiting to be put in the can, in case black support starts to soften or black voters start thinking heretical thoughts, like, “where the f**k did all the jobs go to that we were promised?”

Can’t have that now, can we?

victor82 on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Obama sending in Biden to speak to NAACP:

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I can’t wait for the gaffe reel.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Opening sentence of Mitt’s speech today:

“I’m in no ways taarrd” I’ve come too faaaaarr”

ToddPA on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

About the Only thing I can say he’ll accomplish is to prevent them from complaining he didn’t come. Doubt if he’ll change one mind, although the speech sounds good.

Cleombrotus on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Its going to be difficult for the LSM to show their contempt for Mitt on this one since jumpin Joe is Barky’s counter-punch.

But they have no shame. Should make for interesting coverage to see the hypocracy.

VietVet_Dave on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

This is worthwhile for Romney. They will hate him a little less and be a little less inclined to show up on Super Tuesday.

michaelthomas on July 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Which speech will help Mitt more – Mitt’s or Joe’s?

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Brave move by Romney. Giving the speech was the right decision, at the right time, and the message is spot-on.

HoosierStateofMind on July 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

He’s not allowed to say that; he’s a Mormon. And as we all know, you can take Mormons out of Utah, but you can’t take the racism out of Mormonism.

/stuck-in-the-1970′s

aunursa on July 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

One of those border stations…is here in Lubbock.
I really HATE that b@#&^!d in the WH!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Can’t have that now, can we?

victor82 on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Apparently, it is nearly impossible for a Dem to win without that vote locked up tight. I don’t quite understand why, but Sun Tzu implored generals to test your opponent to find where they are sufficient and where they are lacking. Moreover, forcing the opponent to defend ground that they have never had to defend before is a sharp blow to an opponent’s morale.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Today’s Quinnipiac Poll has Obama beating Romney among Blacks, 92-2. While Whites prefer Romney 53-38.

LOL!

Who’s racist?

kevinkristy on July 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Nothing wrong with pushing faith, family, jobs and school choice. The action items present themselves, yet no one ever plugs them into a coherent action plan

MarkT on July 11, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Which speech will help Mitt more – Mitt’s or Joe’s?

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

If Mr. Obama is counting on Joe to “have his back” at the NAACP, then he may need to rethink his defenses…..

2 cent

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

No live coverage, even over at C-SPAN. Have these been broadcast live before?

WisRich on July 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

…WONDERBREAD…!!!

KOOLAID2 on July 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

rhombus on July 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Ah.

Dongemaharu on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Does he touch on these two issues?

The Obama administration issued a politically charged policy directive Friday that will make about 800,000 young people who were brought to the United States illegally as children safe from deportation proceedings, and may make them eligible for work permits.

Even more alarming is the unemployment rate among black youth, ages 16-19, jumped a full 2.8 points, to 39.3 percent.

Fallon on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Which speech will help Mitt more – Mitt’s or Joe’s?

gwelf on July 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Hard to tell. I guess it depends if Mitt shows sincerity, while Plagarism Joe puts all his smugness on display again.

Liam on July 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Thought of you when I read about this yesterday !!
Arrrrrggghhh !!

pambi on July 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

changer1701

Meric1837

If some group in the audience heckles him do you think there will be supportive folks to drown it in applause? What if somebody stops him in the midst of speech and asks a question. Who do you the audience will agree with? Hell, do you even think there will even a single applause at any point in the speech? Remember what happened in Philly. I agree they themselves will be shown in bad light due to such behavior. But as long as they can take down Romney, do you think they will care? Moreover they will become heroes in their own community.

Bad move.

CoolAir on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Mitt is not overlooking conditions that could cause his opponent to fall into defeat. I wonder if he could peel a few points off this demographic.

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Great speech and great zinger! Obama couldn’t give a crap about blacks because he knows that he can assume their support no matter what.

That said, this won’t move the needle much, if at all. You’re not going to deprogram everything they’ve been mistaught about Republicans since birth. But, at least he can’t be accused of not reaching out to the black community.

The Count on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Is James Earl Jones in the audience?

Electrongod on July 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Opening sentence of Mitt’s speech today:

“I’m in no ways taarrd” I’ve come too faaaaarr”

ToddPA on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

That would be piss-pants funny!

CurtZHP on July 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Since Romney is addressing the NAALCP, I’m sure Obama will soon give a speech to National Right To Life or the National Rifle Association or Club For Growth, right?

itsnotaboutme on July 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Is James Earl Jones in the audience?

Electrongod on July 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Speaking of James Earl Jones…

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Excerpts read like a wasted opportunity.

If he doesn’t talk about his dad, to this crowd, then it was pointless.

budfox on July 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The Count on July 11, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I don’t think he needs to move the needle much. It’s a risky bet, but I give him props for taking risk on this one. In order to make a stark distinction between himself and the president, he needs to go to venues that help him make a stark distinction—stand in front of Solyndra, stand in front of the NAACP, hell–go stand in Detroit. Either way, be distinctive.

Go Mitt.!

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Sweet, sweet music.

I can see the fight at Thanksgiving, though. My hippie sister, and my low-information-niece-in-law, will tell me that starving the public schools of cash is a bad thing.

I will explain that no one will actually be starved, and then talk about how moving toward private education will cause whole “education systems” to start appearing, competing for students (competing for vouchers) — how great it will be …

My sister will tell me I’ve been brainwashed by “them,” and how stupid I am. She’ll tell me I’m being used. (My support for Palin, BTW, was, apparently, my Libido.) My niece will be more forgiving, let it go, and play Angry Birds.

… No grand bargain will be reached.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM