Finally: Blogger works for site everyone always thought she worked for anyway

posted at 12:05 am on July 11, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Just a quick note to say hey and thank you for your generous welcome, everyone! I’ve been a fan of HotAir since its launch, and a fan of Ed’s and AP’s since almost the beginning of their blogging careers. It’s truly a privilege to work with them and the rest of the crew here.

As Allah noted, I’ve worked for a few conservative organizations during my career— The Heritage Foundation, Townhall, the Weekly Standard, the Daily Caller, and a morning radio show on Washington’s conservative talk station. It was near the beginning of that career that Michelle Malkin, the Boss Emeritus as she’s known around here, was kind enough to let me fill in for her in the early days of HotAir, recording a couple episodes of her daily video blog, Vent. It was my first attempt at online video, and I’m sure it was pretty goofy, and not entirely intentionally. You HotAir veterans know what I’m talkin’ about.

Ever since then, HotAir’s always made me feel like an honorary part of the team, and many in the HotAir audience apparently agreed. For years, I’ve been running into people who assume I work for HotAir, so I’m glad we could make it official.

Around here, I’m just hoping to add to the talent on hand and keep y’all entertained. I’ll be blogging, appearing on The Ed Morrissey Show, doing some video, and possibly a little podcasting.

Thanks to the team here for being so inviting and to the team that got me here for being so good to me. Without Michelle and my other bosses (Jon Garthwaite, Hugh, Tucker and Bill Kristol, lookin’ at you!)— most of whom I’m lucky to still work with— taking a chance on me and my occasionally Peep-themed work, I wouldn’t get to have so much fun doing what I love for you guys.

As for what I’ll be able to accomplish here, I think we can safely say that we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the time – when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals.

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

Follow me on Twitter @mkhammer!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

MC Hammer love listening to you on Hewitt and Fox and will enjoy I’m sure reading your thoughts where not limited by commercial breaks, but your 1 link in the above sends you to a link where the video doesn’t work and at least 1 of the links doesn’t either, just saying.
Welcome aboard but don’t expect fawning.

smitty41 on July 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Welcome aboard but don’t expect fawning.

smitty41 on July 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

You forgot your sarc tag, Smitty.

gryphon202 on July 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Ms. Ham,

I have been a long time fan of yours and believe your addition to the Hot Gas line-up will be as sterling as the surprisingly and wonderfully tart Mr Johnsen (whom I have grown to adore over the fast few months).

Also, please be advised that the work you and Guy Benson do on the bloviatingly stultifying Huge Hughitt’s show is stellar. Would that you, Guy, and the masterful Duane R. Patterson could pull off a palace coup and consign the self-important Hewitt to doing those terminally glad-handing mortgage minute spots on weekends between the pet show and the half hour infomercials for incontinence products.

Love ya, girlfriend!

The War Planner

The War Planner on July 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I insist — Nay, DEMAND — that this getting-jiggy photograph be MK’s standard photo.

I at least weakly suggest.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

MKH,

Glad to have you. Obama is still on my shoulder, so it’s kinda like nothing’s changed.

Bigurn on July 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

*possible MH. Possible MKH. I’m still adapting.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Democrats have pork. We have Ham. :)

oldroy on July 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

She can be mean, though. After almost 39 years of marriage she still introduces me to people as her “first husband”.

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

When I’m mad, I refer to the Hubby as:

“My soon-to-be-late husband”

Laura in Maryland on July 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I see a ring on the ring finger in that picture. What’s up with that, Mary Katharine? I hope you’ve found a good solid guy.

Ward Cleaver on July 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Mary, et al., as much as I love sites to read, consider and comment it is time for the blogger world have a verifiable impact on the November election. WAY too much at stake this time around.

sdbatboy on July 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Love it.

ChipDWood on July 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

White Girl Overbite Quota: Achieved

Hollowpoint on July 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM

RushBaby on July 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Ms. Ham,

I have been a long time fan of yours and believe your addition to the Hot Gas line-up will be as sterling as the surprisingly and wonderfully tart Mr Mrs Johnsen (whom I have grown to adore over the fast few months).

…snip…

Love ya, girlfriend!

The War Planner

The War Planner on July 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Fix’t it for ya.

ornery_independent on July 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Hot Air just got way hotter, MK. Very very cool seeing you over here.

RRG

Mornin Mojo on July 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

WHAT A HOTTIE!!!

LizardLips on July 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Cool! Welcome Home MKH!

Rick554 on July 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I found it! Seems overly edited to me.

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

YAY! A real conservative! It’s about time, Hot Gas. Welcome!

alwaysfiredup on July 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Welcome MKH!! Go Dawgs!!!!

birddog on July 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I found it! Seems overly edited to me.

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

My heavens man. You worked so hard to run that down!

And the world is better for it.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

MKH and Erika both here at Hot Gas! woohoo! I’m in conservative blog heaven!

gravityman on July 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM

MKH. Growl!

I would do things with you that would get me arrested or killed in Saudi Arabia, like let you drive a car and vote.

Pcoop on July 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Welcome (back?) Mary Katharine Ham!

Logic on July 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

“Nekkid…!”

Video: Mary Katharine Ham on “nekkid” pictures

Seven Percent Solution on July 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Welcome! Can we get Vent back? Or even The Vent? Please.

Esthier on July 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

So-o-o-o, we’ve been recently informed by no less a source than SCOTUS that ObamaCare-aka-PPACA-aka the UN-Affordable-Care-Act is a Big Freakin’ Tax™…

… And Middle-Class Joe wants his sheeples to know that Voter-Photo-ID is only so the mean old GOP can arrest ‘em when they vote. ( Ri-i-i-i-ight…)

… And Bwana Barrack Milhouse Oswami (or at least TOTUS) wants a little more $ympathy for the Devil because he has, after all, been out$pent before, or sumpin’…

So I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say I’m prolly not the only one hereabouts who’s just about had it, right… up… to… here… with all this Bad News cleverly disguised as B$, YKWIS? Proglodytes and Lib-ocrites forever trying to tell us how to pick up their turds by the clean end… *gack!*

And now there’s this:

… As for what I’ll be able to accomplish here, I think we can safely say that we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the time – when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals…

Okay, so I only got my passport to HotGas™ recently, during the first of those two waves of dubious immigrants when Ed & Allah raised the portcullis for reasons apparently known only to Allah’s cats (and they ain’t talkin’)… but I’ve been a lurker *cough* reader almost since the beginning, so I feel like I’ve got some sense of what’s what, hmm? But…

… Well, this “MKHammer comes (back) to HotGas” story better not be one of those “Onion” spoof-things, or Imma gonna cancel my subscription (or sumpin’)!!

Welcome (back), MKat… somehow, it’s like you never left us at all. Don’t let the bedbugs, er, trolls bite, eh?

“Ask not what your TEA Party can do for you…”
~ DeepWheat

DeepWheat on July 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

MKH’s first AP-style Christian-bashing post in 3…2…1…

Knott Buyinit on July 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

My heavens man. You worked so hard to run that down!

And the world is better for it.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Worth all 33 seconds of it. Georgia Alumni are proud! Would love to see the takes that hit the edit room floor. Mary Katharine, how about it?

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Good for MK…glad to see her here. I follow her on Twitter and always enjoyed the HamNation videos for all the time they were on.

And Mary Katharine..my favorite video is the parody of PETA with the good looking girl coming out of the swimming pool eating a veggie in a skimpy swim suit. In yours, you coming out of the pool with camo clothes and eating venison…if I remember right. It made this old deer hunter laugh til he fell of the chair.

norm1111 on July 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Seven Percent Solution on July 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I see what you did there. Can’t say that I blame you . ; )

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Seven Percent Solution on July 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I see what you did there. Can’t say that I blame you . ; )

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’m ashamed. :)

We’re so predictable.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Geez, I’d forgotten that that was when I first saw and heard of you. Those were the days. You were a terrific fill-in who’s since built up a great reputation and impressive résumé.

They’re–we’re–lucky to have you back, Mary.

CO2 Producer on July 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

About time!

gitarfan on July 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I’m ashamed. :)

We’re so predictable.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

No shame. Mary Katharine, I’m positive, finds all this quite flattering.

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Dear Mary Katharine Ham,
When I was on twitter, you were the only person, whom I followed, that sent me a personal message thanking me. I am no longer on twitter, but I shall always remember how classy that was of you.
You are an amazing addition to Hot Gas, and a conservative treasure.

the new aesthetic on July 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM

P.S. Please lift the restraining order on me.

the new aesthetic on July 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM

MC I want to personally thank you for taking this gig. You have the same common sense approach and ability to deconstruct the left’s arguments and narative like Steven Crowder…I think you guys are the young voices of a resurrgence in conservatism that is long overdue! Welcome Aboard.

RedLizard64 on July 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

MK Ham used to be on the Wash DC WMAL morning show. I notice she’s not on anymore.

Bevan on July 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM

P.S. Please lift the restraining order on me.

the new aesthetic on July 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM

lol

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

P.S. Please lift the restraining order on me.

the new aesthetic on July 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM

; )

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM

ho-hum another cheesecake hire by HotAir? I’m sure Ms. Ham is perfectly qualified, but what’s with the frontpage tease photo? I didn’t see Jazz Shaw in a muscle shirt when he officially joined the team.

Sorry to rain on the adulation, but I think R. S. McCain has a point.

I was never impressed with Ms. Korbe’s writing and never thought she wrote to the standard of other, non-cheesecake HotAir hires.

And many of the Green Room writers do fantastic work. Why not repay them for their tireless service?

I guess this route must be working for them, they keep taking it.

babygiraffe on July 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

btw, I’m talking about the section “The Cruel Charade”, not the length of Korbe’s skirt, about HotAir’s hiring charade.

babygiraffe on July 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

MKH, your fist clench in the picture on the front page is almost the same as Nancy Pelosis’.

Why is my reaction so different?

BTW, you forgot to plug Hugh Hewitts’ book.
He is not going to be happy. ;)

MichaelGabriel on July 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Mary Katharine Ham’s resume is full of former employers. There must be a reason. Perhaps the party girls work while of high quality is minimal in quantity.

meci on July 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Great get for Hot Gas! Glad you’re here, MKH — but how do you stand being constantly interrupted and condescended to by Bill O’Reilly? He cuts you off everytime you try to make a point. It’s so annoying for me to watch… can’t imagine how you feel!

SheVee on July 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I guess this route must be working for them, they keep taking it.

babygiraffe on July 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Not big on dancing I take it.

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM

high quality is minimal in quantity.

meci on July 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

You could always apply for one of the openings Mary Katharine left behind. Or not. Cause heaven forbid we all enjoy life. No wouldn’t be prudent at this juncture. We should all just wallow in the envy of others. ; )

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I didn’t see Jazz Shaw in a muscle shirt when he officially joined the team.

babygiraffe on July 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

For good reason. But if the ladies of HA need a cheesecake photo, I can always provide them with a picture of me in a Speedo. :)

Good Solid B-Plus on July 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

You say “hey”, and use the word “y’all”, so I’m a fan.

You’ve gussied up the place a bit, not to mention what you’ve done to the Hot Gas men. ;o)

I love the way you take on the libs with a smile on your face, and the ninja throwing stars of truth with your voice.

Welcome! I’m glad you are back, and look forward to your reports in the future.

kakypat on July 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM

lol, I see a lot of fat disgruntled jealous chicks hating on the MKH in this thread.

the new aesthetic on July 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Democrats have pork. We have Ham. :)

oldroy on July 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Nominate for thread winner!

Yiwen on July 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Hope you don’t have to be stepped on, talked over, and further ignored by Blo O’Reiily any longer. What a buffoon! How can you stand it?

bill glass on July 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I suppose it’s one thing when the co-blogger selects the most complimentary photo of someone; I just tend to think a photo of balloons or confetti might have been more appropriate for a “party time” caption. Then again I don’t think there’s much of a party atmosphere afoot over the next four months given the importance of ridding leftists from the government.

Allendundit on July 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM

MKH: Further proof that conservative chicks are smarter and prettier, and thus overall hotter, than lib chicks.

Ira on July 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I’m glad to hear that you are onboard. I always loved your Townhall blog, but I’ve been wondering where you went after you left that. Good to have you back, so to sepak.

Wolfman on July 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Nothing says “serious journalist” quite like that photo.

Labamigo on July 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

my joke no go?

eh on July 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Uhmmm, Ms. Hamm? What does this make? Your 19th job switch in 5 years? The fact of the matter is that you DON’T LAST in a job.

If I was the hiring manager considering your resume, I wouldn’t offer you a job because the 8 pages of jobs you’ve had in recent years raises red flags all over the place, or SHOULD raise them.

Either you can’t perform your intended job function (because your skill set has been grossly overhyped?) and you keep getting fired at your first evaluation, OR you have difficulties getting along with people (because of an over-inflated ego) and you end up getting pushed out quickly by management to quell a pending riot by other employees, OR you view a job as nothing more than a stepping stone, OR you have emotional problems and simply can’t handle a day job no matter what the position is (like my brother).

So, which is it?

Mahdi on July 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Welcome aboard, MKH. Been a fan for a while. Happen to like that pic. It does, however, remind me a bit of one of King Threeputt of Bogey’s most annoying habits. You know, that little jog-hop he does when taking the stage at some fundraiser or appearance. That “hey, look at me…I am so peppy and happy to be here to a) pander to; or b) pilfer from, you.”

Huckabye-Romney on July 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The Hammer! Outstanding news. Always loved The Vent, hope it returns as your own regular feature.

Freelancer on July 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM

So, which is it?

Mahdi on July 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I think in your judgement you have missed more then just a few facts. Think about it some more. Hints. What year is it? What is the genre of work? What is the age of the young lady? What is she worth in the free market? What does the market require? And lastly if you were the one doing the hiring. Is she good for my company? You don’t sound competent to sit in judgement of any prospective employee in this field or any other. So there’s that. Perhaps you should go back and review your comment and modify it?

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM

So, which is it?

Mahdi on July 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Oh and you are a very negative individual.

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Absolutely LOVE you, MKH!

ToddonCapeCod on July 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Late to the party, but just wanted to add:

Mary Katherine has joined Hot Air and that’s swell!

AZfederalist on July 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Sorry to rain on the adulation, but I think R. S. McCain has a point.

I guess this route must be working for them, they keep taking it.

babygiraffe on July 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

You consider that picture of MKH cheesecake-y? Showing a little too much arm there for you, eh? LOL geez!

You sound like you’re right out of Victorian England – I bet anything less than a burqa on a woman is too sexually provocative for you…

Bizarro No. 1 on July 12, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Very cool!

DannoJyd on July 12, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Awesome. I remember wa back in the Vent days….god I’ve been here too long…welcome back :)

mythicknight on July 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Mary Katharine proves the liberal fantasy, you can have beauty or you can have brains, but you can’t have both, is pure hokey.

Oracleforhire on July 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

So, which is it?

Mahdi on July 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM

As a hiring manager in my company….Bmore, you are dead on correct…Mahdi? You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

MK is a young woman who is from the generation that move around a lot. Her job change numbers pretty much follow professional people of her age; in most fields (I hire professional medical lab people). And no I am not Mary Katharine’s age…I have children much older than her…those my age tend to hold on to the same job for …decades. These young people don’t hold on to jobs for years and years….doesn’t make wrong, just makes it different.

norm1111 on July 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Awesome. Thanks, HA & MKH.

hillbillyjim on July 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I call that a win-win-win. :)

Bob's Kid on July 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I at least weakly suggest.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I’ll second this (or, by this time, maybe 100th it or whatever).

Also, hi res please!

ex_machina on July 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

norm1111 on July 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

What I said was factual. Your only refutation is to assert that this is a generational thing to work for years and years and not hold a single job for more than a few months?

I understand working to get experience, but numerous job switches in a short amount of time raises questions which extend beyond seeking experience. That was my point. Too bad it was lost on minor intellects.

The other idiot just prefers to attack the messenger rather than have a discussion about the fact that Ms. Hamm has a serious lack of longevity in her employment history.

Mahdi on July 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Welcome “back”, MKH, and as to

just might happen, if an important change is made in November! You have a much better likelihood that that guy currently in the WH.

IrishEyes on July 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM