Finally: Blogger works for site everyone always thought she worked for anyway

posted at 12:05 am on July 11, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Just a quick note to say hey and thank you for your generous welcome, everyone! I’ve been a fan of HotAir since its launch, and a fan of Ed’s and AP’s since almost the beginning of their blogging careers. It’s truly a privilege to work with them and the rest of the crew here.

As Allah noted, I’ve worked for a few conservative organizations during my career— The Heritage Foundation, Townhall, the Weekly Standard, the Daily Caller, and a morning radio show on Washington’s conservative talk station. It was near the beginning of that career that Michelle Malkin, the Boss Emeritus as she’s known around here, was kind enough to let me fill in for her in the early days of HotAir, recording a couple episodes of her daily video blog, Vent. It was my first attempt at online video, and I’m sure it was pretty goofy, and not entirely intentionally. You HotAir veterans know what I’m talkin’ about.

Ever since then, HotAir’s always made me feel like an honorary part of the team, and many in the HotAir audience apparently agreed. For years, I’ve been running into people who assume I work for HotAir, so I’m glad we could make it official.

Around here, I’m just hoping to add to the talent on hand and keep y’all entertained. I’ll be blogging, appearing on The Ed Morrissey Show, doing some video, and possibly a little podcasting.

Thanks to the team here for being so inviting and to the team that got me here for being so good to me. Without Michelle and my other bosses (Jon Garthwaite, Hugh, Tucker and Bill Kristol, lookin’ at you!)— most of whom I’m lucky to still work with— taking a chance on me and my occasionally Peep-themed work, I wouldn’t get to have so much fun doing what I love for you guys.

As for what I’ll be able to accomplish here, I think we can safely say that we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the time – when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals.

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

Follow me on Twitter @mkhammer!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Great news! Not only is it great to see you back here, but it’s evident you are the perfect complement to the team. You bring wit, intelligence, energy, judgement, and good looks, and they take care of the rest.

Adjoran on July 11, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Great to see you here MK, you’re brilliant and gorgeous, sucks you have be on with a lightweight like Juan Williams all the time

gsherin on July 11, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Yay! Always been a fan, listened to you on WMAL too!

surrounded on July 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM

now that’s the snark that I’m talkin’ ’bout!

welcome, MKH. I’ve only been around HotAir since 2008-ish, so I never knew ye except in your appearances on Hannity, BOR, and columns. Looking forward to reading your stuff.

Summer of Recovery is here!

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Can I have a date?

SC.Charlie on July 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Erika and now MKH? The hawtness is strong. It’s like watching Fox News Chanel!

LtGenRob on July 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

I’ve been a fan of the Ham since “Obama On My Shoulder.”

disa on July 11, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Now that she’s writing here, I give it a week before MKH attains the treasured RINO status. How long did it take for Allah? Two days or so?

Help us HondaV65, you’re our only hope.

KingGold on July 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM

LOL

Bizarro No. 1 on July 11, 2012 at 6:39 AM

oops, bad link, try this

disa on July 11, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Yeah, I think O’Reilly mistook you for a lightweight, MK –
and then couldn’t stand that you cut through his pomp and made him look like a clown.
I like him, but he should let you sub for him on Fridays.

flicker on July 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Hmmmm, I didn’t see it that way – I thought MKH was too nice/passive when she first went on BOR, and, because she’s smart, she learned she needed to not let him talk over her.

As a related defense of O’Reilly, think about this – how often does Bill side with Juan Williams instead of Mary Katherine, or Alan Colmes instead of Monica Crowley? Those are rare events!

I like your idea about having her sub – that sure would be fun to see :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 11, 2012 at 6:54 AM

More eye candy + more great journalism = life is good.

Welcome aboard, young lady!

locomotivebreath1901 on July 11, 2012 at 6:56 AM

burning the midnight oil eh MKH…

alrighty then :)

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Great to see you joining Hotair!

ctomrun on July 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Awesome to see your work on here Kathy. O’Reilly never lets you finish your points, but thats his job usually and he does it to both sides. I enjoy your segments with him and Juan and in general and you usually have better points when Bill lets you finish it. Looking forward to seeing your work on here.

As a side note, with a Last name like HAM you should certainly be an FCC licensed ham radio operator!

TX-96 on July 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Welcome Mary. Look forward to reading you.

Kaptain Amerika on July 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Welcome back :) !

Skwor on July 11, 2012 at 7:05 AM

….woops I meant Mary! :)

TX-96 on July 11, 2012 at 7:05 AM

This is fantastic news, MK!! Looking forward to at least reading your thoughts here more regularly…even if I can’t hear your voice on the radio every morning anymore.

PS: Although I really like the other 2 guys on that show (as well as other 2 that had to leave a year or two ago…frankly I STILL miss them), you definitely added a very needed third, and very different voice, that truly contributed a special quality to the show. (But I bet you don’t miss the working hours there!)

Can’t wait to see more of your writing here!

Yiwen on July 11, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Welcome back!

golfer1 on July 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Help us HondaV65, you’re our only hope.

KingGold on July 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Baiting: You’re the master at it.

fossten on July 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Welcome aboard, MK!

AZCoyote on July 11, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Well it’s about time, MKH!

Welcome.

eforhan on July 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Can you get us a CME to go with that?

The cuteness is strong in this one.

ajacksonian on July 11, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Can we expect the return of Hamnation? :)

Yogurt on July 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I thought MKH–not Elaine Benes of Seinfeld–was joining Hot Air.

Stop letting BOR interrupt you, even if it is his program.

BuckeyeSam on July 11, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Yes yes yes!!!

doufree on July 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Glad to see that you’re now part of HotAir officially.
As for Bill O’Reilly; I get tired of listening to him interrupt you but he’d rather hear himself talk than listen to cogent thoughts from you. I don’t know how you can deal with him without raising your voice.

Zooid on July 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Check out some of the screennames from that 2007 link. It predates me by about six months. That was back when Ed et al. guarded the borders more carefully. All the same, a few familiar names and a few that made me think, “Whatever happened to him or her?”

BuckeyeSam on July 11, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Erika and now MKH? The hawtness is strong. It’s like watching Fox News Chanel!

LtGenRob on July 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Delighted to have MKH here, but I’m still going to make my wife wear the Erika Johnsen mask in bed. Don’t give me that crap, people. If I have to wear that Liam Neeson mask it’s only fair.

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Welcome MK! In my mind’s eye, I am you when challenging one of my few liberal friends on an issue. Young, beautiful, long hair, brilliant and articulate. In reality, I’m closer to Andrea Mitchell’s age, hairstyle, and about as verbal as she was against John Sununu.
You rock!!
(my IPad posted this first on the Assuange article for some reason. Oops)

tj4osu on July 11, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Since it’s way to early to do the official Hot Gas Venting Peep handshake, let me just say welcome back MKH

Bunsin2 on July 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM

THE HAMMER.

Good Lt on July 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

THE HAMMER.

Good Lt on July 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

HAMMER TIME!

Bizarro No. 1 on July 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 7:45 AM

i like your wife :)

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Just read through all of these comments and I have only one thing to add…

…guys, stop with the drooling will ya? It’s smearing the words on the pages and makes them hard to read.

;-)

Flora Duh on July 11, 2012 at 7:56 AM

YAY! MKH IS HERE NOW!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!*cough**cough**deeepbreath*

Erm, um, welcome aboard! Glad to have you here!

wearyman on July 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Welcome MKH. Good to see you here for a permanent gig.

Now can you get Allahpundit a date, please? He’s been pining after you and KP for years. And you’re already taken, I believe. The things some minor deities have to suffer to make the rest of us happy, eh? He’s a pretty good sport too.

Welcome aboard, ma’am.

Subsunk

Subsunk on July 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

i like your wife :)

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM

She can be mean, though. After almost 39 years of marriage she still introduces me to people as her “first husband”.

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

we’ll miss you on WMAL, MK. stop by anytime you have the chance.

t8stlikchkn on July 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Hooray! Welcome!

bitsy on July 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I remember “The View” spoofs with MM, MKH, Lashawn, and KP. Those were classic.

vcferlita on July 11, 2012 at 8:10 AM

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

cmsinaz on July 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

LOL

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Welcome MKH! It’s neat to see all the great talent being added to the site. The original crew is great, but the new folks are making it better.

Rufus on July 11, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Well for one very important thing, the landscape has improved

crosshugger on July 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Glad you’re here Mary Katharine! I do miss ya on WMAL though. I was sad to see you leave. “Mornings on the Mall” is not the same without you.

lucyvanpelt on July 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM

As good as HA is/was..it just got light years better.

Welcome Mary!

LaRepublican on July 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Mary Katharine, I’m so pleased you’ll be here!

My morning commute is so sad without your cheerful and insightful voice piping through my radio. Your stint at WMAL was outstanding and the few minutes I got to listen in were the highlight of my day.

Welcome. I look forward to your blogging at HotAir!

freedomfirst on July 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Ditto!

lucyvanpelt on July 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM

this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless …

And this was the moment that peeps came to the fore and got their due.

Peeps!

Paul-Cincy on July 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Welcome MKat! You are a DGD! GATA and Go Dawgs!

NeoDawg on July 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

The Haminator! One of my first “tweeple” in the early days of the Twitterverse. Every site is made better with the addition of MKH.

di butler on July 11, 2012 at 8:36 AM

WELCOME to the fray!

Katfish on July 11, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Great now maybe someone at HotAir can push to get either a mobile/tablet app or at least rework the site so Adobe Flash is not required. I love coming here on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus or Tablet 10.1, but with Adobe pulling Flash support from Android, I’m about to lose my ability to see many videos on your site when I’m using one of my mobile devices. Guys this is important. Come on, let’s get a site rework or some mobile apps going. I prefer a site rework to an app unless you have a really nice widget that comes with it ;)

THANK YOU HOT AIR!

kerrhome on July 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Welcome!

rbj on July 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM

MKH: Way cool!

dmann on July 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Welcome, Mary Katharine. You’ve been on point with every appearance I have seen you make on Fox News. Speaking of appearances, all I can say is WOW!!!

OneVision on July 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Welcome aboard young lady…………. I will try not to hold you to Bari’s standards, but I know “the one” has the highest standards in this country for himself…….//////…….;)

angrymike on July 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

No MKH you’re not doing it right — if none of this happens you’re supposed to spend the next four years blaming it on Tina Korbe.

jon1979 on July 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

…and now we know the real answer to Allah’s Monday question.

A: Because we have Hamm, Malkin, et.al.– and they have, well, see for yourself.

Terp Mole on July 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Wow, Hot Air is still getting better despite all of the ads. First Erika and now Mary Katherine. Welcome! And yes I remember the Vent.

brtex on July 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Baiting: You’re the master at it.

fossten on July 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Yes…he is a master baiter…

ClassicCon on July 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Just read through all of these comments and I have only one thing to add…

;-)

Flora Duh on July 11, 2012 at 7:56 AM

…I have liberal4life’s old bib on!

KOOLAID2 on July 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Elsewhere, Leftists crow over Rachel Maddow’s ratings (ahem) handsomely beating CNN and HNL.

*sigh*: she has cutest little adam’s apple.

/*channeling Kos*

Terp Mole on July 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Welcome home!

Vince on July 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

you don’t party and dance like Katie Couric, do you MKH???

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Welcome Mary Katharine!

JoAnn1965 on July 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Hmmm… why didn’t you like them before that?

Akzed on July 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Welcome to Hot Air, Mary Katherine Ham, looking forward to reading more of your work.

Mini-14 on July 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Allahpundit has a career…? wait, what/?

ted c on July 11, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Welcome back, MKH. I’ve been reading HA since the day it opened and I’ve always wondered if and when you’d land back over here. Asked and answered, I guess. In any event, it’s good to have you back.

Physics Geek on July 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

What’s going on in that picture? Is that your interpretation of Elaine Benes’ dancing in “The Little Kicks”?

JohnBrown on July 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I’m just happy you know the proper usage and spelling of “y’all”.

Welcome!

Dominion on July 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

So, when do the Hamnation videos start up again?

Physics Geek on July 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Welcome and congrats!

theflyonthewall on July 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

@ntif@n on July 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Let me take this opportunity to put in my request for further, “This Week With Peeps”. I lOVED “This Week with Peeps.” The one concerning Immigration was the best. Hire an intern or set Allah to doing the Peep Costumes.

JFKY on July 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Welcome MKH. I’ve seen you on The Factor numerous times, and would use many words to describe you (all good, by the way), but one of them would not be “goofy”! I’m looking forward to your contributions here.

mel23059 on July 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Welcome aboard, MKH!!

You have surely improved the ‘gene pool’ around here…

;-)

Khun Joe on July 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Go dawgs.

SFH on July 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

More HamNation, please. Bring back “This Week in Peeps” and “Obama on Your Shoulder”!

Penfold on July 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I loved you on WMAL…the guys are OK, but not even close to the trio.

And we want the scoop. Juan Williams seems like such a nice guy. But is he really as brainwashed as he presents? Or is that just part of his schtick to be the resident liberal?

And I do NOT believe strip joints ought to be built next to nunnaries, especially when the nuns were there first and the local politicians seemed to have changed the zoning law to allow it. Smells of Chicago corruption to me….just saying.

Welcome!

Portia46 on July 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yay! Welcome!

foxforce91 on July 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Can I have a date?

SC.Charlie on July 11, 2012 at 6:31 AM

No. She’s recently, and happily, married.

ITguy on July 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

And I do NOT believe strip joints ought to be built next to nunnaries

Why not, provides a little extra income for the sisters, wouldn’t you say? Everyone KNOWS about Catholic grrrrrls…….

JFKY on July 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

Sure. No problem. We have a MUCH BIGGER job for you anyhow. Collie,
want to tell her what it is?

My collie says:

We expect you to somehow transform Ed and AllahPundit into TRUE conservatives. And we are going to hold you accoutable for that.

I guess that collie is just tired of watching a couple of RINOs run this “so-called” conservative site.

CyberCipher on July 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

No. She’s recently, and happily, married.

ITguy on July 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

It’s only “happily” because it is “recently”. A few years and she’ll be like the rest of us, waiting for the sweet release than only death can bring./

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM

No. She’s recently, and happily, married.

Damn, I wanted to introduce her to my mom and my many cats.

MechanicalBill on July 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

You are watching Hotair.com. Not to be confused with Beauty and the Geeks.

Penfold on July 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I’m late to the welcome wagon, but this is awesome news!

Glad you’re here, Mary!

Darksean on July 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Welcome to Hot Gas.

James on July 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I just want to tell you good luck. We’re all counting on you.

I just want to tell you good luck. We’re all counting on you.

PopsRacer on July 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

MKH’s return has brought out several verteran commenters that I haven’t seen in a long time (which could either be that they haven’t commented in ages, or that they have commented and I just didn’t see it). It feels like this.

ITguy on July 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Welcome… feel free to use my comments to round out your posts. I share my wisdom gladly and for the benefit of all.

;)

mankai on July 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM

And she runs marathons and climbs tall mountains (Kilimanjaro) too!

Yiwen on July 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Welcome aboard MKH.

A++

Del Dolemonte on July 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Welcome to Hot Gas!

dczombie on July 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I read that, and it brought a tear to my eye…the Oceans are rising!

kirkill on July 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM