Finally: Blogger works for site everyone always thought she worked for anyway

posted at 12:05 am on July 11, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

Just a quick note to say hey and thank you for your generous welcome, everyone! I’ve been a fan of HotAir since its launch, and a fan of Ed’s and AP’s since almost the beginning of their blogging careers. It’s truly a privilege to work with them and the rest of the crew here.

As Allah noted, I’ve worked for a few conservative organizations during my career— The Heritage Foundation, Townhall, the Weekly Standard, the Daily Caller, and a morning radio show on Washington’s conservative talk station. It was near the beginning of that career that Michelle Malkin, the Boss Emeritus as she’s known around here, was kind enough to let me fill in for her in the early days of HotAir, recording a couple episodes of her daily video blog, Vent. It was my first attempt at online video, and I’m sure it was pretty goofy, and not entirely intentionally. You HotAir veterans know what I’m talkin’ about.

Ever since then, HotAir’s always made me feel like an honorary part of the team, and many in the HotAir audience apparently agreed. For years, I’ve been running into people who assume I work for HotAir, so I’m glad we could make it official.

Around here, I’m just hoping to add to the talent on hand and keep y’all entertained. I’ll be blogging, appearing on The Ed Morrissey Show, doing some video, and possibly a little podcasting.

Thanks to the team here for being so inviting and to the team that got me here for being so good to me. Without Michelle and my other bosses (Jon Garthwaite, Hugh, Tucker and Bill Kristol, lookin’ at you!)— most of whom I’m lucky to still work with— taking a chance on me and my occasionally Peep-themed work, I wouldn’t get to have so much fun doing what I love for you guys.

As for what I’ll be able to accomplish here, I think we can safely say that we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the time – when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals.

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

Follow me on Twitter @mkhammer!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

wow.. has it been so long since “vent”?
man.. those were the days..

johnnyboy on July 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Welcome back aboard! Please bring back the Vent segments!!

SouthernGent on July 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Hot Air is little hotter now. ;>

Enjoy dealing with us, and congratulations on the new gig.

PXCharon on July 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Welcome! Here’s a machete. Cut through the testosterone and make yourself at home (‘scuse the mess)!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Oh, wow…the Peeps! I remember that. Welcome back, MKH!

James on July 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

And gravy. This is the time when red eye gravy became cool again. And biscuits. Sausage biscuits with gravy.

I love southern girls.

BacaDog on July 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Now that she’s writing here, I give it a week before MKH attains the treasured RINO status. How long did it take for Allah? Two days or so?

Help us HondaV65, you’re our only hope.

KingGold on July 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM

So happy you are here, MKH!

XXOO

exliberal on July 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Welcome back M. Katharine, with an “a”.

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

You can always blame Obama.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Again, welcome.

/and smack Juan Williams for me.

rayra on July 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Ok, Ed. You hooked MKH – I won’t complain about the self-launching video ads anymore.

The Count on July 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Great news! Welcome MKH, look forward to your posts and TEMS appearances.

Paradox Drive on July 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Thank GOD you’re here, Mary Katherine! Hopefully you can drown out some less reasonable people who post here…….

williamg on July 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Please, Mary Katharine, please don’t put that picture up on the screen cap again. It shivers me timbers. ;-)

So glad you’re here, as a regular, now. As Hank Williams said, “Sonofagun, gonna have big fun on the bayou.”

TXUS on July 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Just mere two days ago, I was showing my wife how pretty conservative female pundits can be, using MKH as a particularly stunning example – and here, lo and behold, she’ll be writing for Hot Air. It looks like Heaven can even answer an unspoken prayer from an atheist.

Archivarix on July 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Come back home Mary Kate….and Go Dawgs

the Coondawg on July 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

One of our hometown girls who went away and did well. Welcome home, MK. We’re livin’ the dream here.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Finally: Blogger works for site everyone always thought she worked for anyway
posted at 12:05 am on July 11, 2012 by Mary Katharine Ham

We’re all thankful you’re here, but why did you wait until 00:05 in the morning to post this?
God bless! : )

listens2glenn on July 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

PS What, precisely, have you done to Jesse “Staples” Jackson, Jr.?

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Young lady, the conservative women are the ones who have been guiding us through this current wilderness. Welcome to HotAir, MKH.

hawkdriver on July 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Noticed Allah seems preppier and less eeyoreish in his recent posts?

Could this by why?

Hmmm….

Omega_Rage on July 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Welcome, Comrade Hamm!

JPeterman on July 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Welcome!

melle1228 on July 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I recall the Vent days with a sense of whimsy. Good times.

Do I also recall a special “View-esque” episode with MM, MKH, KP, and La Shawn Barber too?

Congrats MKH!

juanito on July 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Finally: Blogger works for site everyone always thought she worked for anyway

I love the “Finally” hat tip to Allahpundit! :-)

Two HotAir OLD SCHOOL Classics:

HotAir VENT with Mary Katharine Ham

HotAir VENT with Mary Katharine Ham

You did great. We all love you here, Mary Katharine!
Welcome “Home”! :-)

ITguy on July 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Is that Elaine Bennis in the pic?

Mr. Arrogant on July 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

@listens2glenn: Ha, I hosted Hugh Hewitt’s show til 9 EST, and then got home to write this. I’m still learning the ropes, so I figured it was better if I posted later in case I messed up the formatting. Tomorrow, I’ll have it safely figured out.

Mary Katharine Ham on July 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

TXUS on July 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Dang it TXUS, I was keeping a pure mind until I read that.

No, I don’t blame you. : )

listens2glenn on July 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

No lie. Back when I put building wide wireless in where I work I wanted to test if it was working and fast enough. The best way to do that was streaming video so I went right to Hot Air and played Vent. Worked like a charm.

Rocks on July 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Oh, and a very warm official welcome MKH.

Rocks on July 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

All these right wing babes blogging. Michelle, Tina, Erika, now Mary Katherine. How about Allah? Do we get to see his picture some day?

AshleyTKing on July 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

williamg on July 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

FIFY

Now let me go get my list ;)

Laura in Maryland on July 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Totally unexpected, great to have you here! Look forward to seeing more of your work.

waelse1 on July 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Mary Katharine, I’m so pleased you’ll be here!

My morning commute is so sad without your cheerful and insightful voice piping through my radio. Your stint at WMAL was outstanding and the few minutes I got to listen in were the highlight of my day.

Welcome. I look forward to your blogging at HotAir!

freedomfirst on July 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Wow, MKH, I have had a girl crush on you ever since I saw you on a foxnews segment, long time ago. You are one of the most articulate conservative spokespeeps out there, and I love how you keep that blowhard O’Reilly in check.

Keep up the good work and I am squealing with delight you are going to read one of my posts. :)

karenhasfreedom on July 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Love that pic from you Twitter account.

swamp_yankee on July 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Aww, thanks so much, @freedomfirst! I miss the Bry(i)ans, but I’m glad to be here (and not getting up so early).

Mary Katharine Ham on July 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

MKH, you are joining a first class bunch of people…and Allah, Ed, and Erika aren’t so bad either…
Looking forward to all the fun we will have and the tales for our kids…er, grandkids. Well, they will be our stories and we can tell them anyway we want. Cool.

d1carter on July 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Welcome back, Mary Katharine! We missed you!

infidel on July 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Mary Katharine Ham
on July 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I get it . . . first day, getting oriented. Check.

But some of us here don’t “have a life”, so all we have to live for is criticizing Hotair.com staffers. It gives us that smug feeling of superiority that we otherwise could never achieve on our own.

So, thanks again for joining. And we’ll be watching . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on July 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Wow, Erika and MKH both here at Hot Gas! Glad you’re here!

Eren on July 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Your work is great and I look forward to seeing you here in the future.

Cheers!

Corporal Tunnel on July 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Great Scott,I was doing a Lurking sorte,before
play’n Ace Combat,and a sneaky late night post
goes up!

MKH,its going to be a real pleasure having you back,
keep an eye on tips,I’ll be flooding it,

and a hardy,

**** WELCOME BACK TO the USS HOT AIR OnLine BattleShip of da Net***
———————————————–:)

Oh,I guess you’ll be in the Command/Control Room…..Tee-Hee—–:)

canopfor on July 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I actually laughed out loud!

Welcome to Hot Gas, MKH.

Mr. Prodigy on July 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

MKH, does it bother you when men objectify as a conservative babe?

Actually, it doesn’t matter. We’re going to do it anyway.

swamp_yankee on July 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Yeah, I loved Bryan and Michelle doing little singing numbers as well. Man, that was 7 years ago. My how time flies. Welcome aboard MKH! Great news.

JeffB. on July 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I’m not worthy!
My spouse will not know why I’m coming to bed with such a grin after having you comment on my post. Then, when I tell her it was Mary Katharine….she’ll understand.

Well, 4 hours til wakeup. Good night.

Woohoo! MKH at HA!

freedomfirst on July 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Aw, here’s the View-esque episode in question: Glory Days – Cannot get it to load in the page, and the Youtube version has been taken down.

It was all a dream…

juanito on July 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

MUCH better pic…

Gohawgs on July 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Lots of great videos here:

ITguy on July 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Good times….

tdau1997 on July 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I’m not worthy!

Well, 4 hours til wakeup. Good night.

Woohoo! MKH at HA!

freedomfirst on July 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

LOL– MKH you are gonna make a bunch of women Hot Air widows :)

melle1228 on July 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

In the thick of rough-and-tumble Hot Gas, Ms. Ham, these hours of glad welcome will be looked back upon as “The Salad Days”, “Days of Glory”, “Days of Wine and Roses”. Enjoy (and gird, I beg you!)

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM

The TownHall folks might want to fix this broken link:

ITguy on July 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Welcome back!

sulla on July 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I like how it’s just ‘Allah’ and not ‘AllahPundit’. He should just change his moniker officially, and start issuing fatwahs and whatnot.

Fenris on July 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Welcome back Mary! Any chance you’ll be doing any more HamNations?

FogDog on July 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Yikes, too much pressure!!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Always had much respected for you, MKat. You’re a class act, and I am glad to see you here full-time. You’re an inspiration to other strong southern women out here, who are part of the “new media.”

Hugs, sistah!

MsUnderestimated on July 11, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Does this make you wealthy enough not to have to go on Ted Baxter’s show anymore? Your appearances on that show are the only time I scream at my TV because he won’t let you talk. Bill O’Reilly almost makes me want to join NOW. Sort of just kidding, we need smart conservative women on the front lines.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

BTW, I love this picture of you. It somehow shows your character and wit, and your sense of joy.

MsUnderestimated on July 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Ms. Ham, you have perfect timing.

We need the big guns in the next four months, and I’m glad to see Hot Air properly stocking up.

This is awesome. Still not as awesome as the “Allah is in the House” days (Bitchslap in Beantown!), but hey, that was a special time.

Between Ed, Allah, and Ms. Ham you have a powerful trio of recognized and respected bloggers who you know will bring the goods. Looking forward to some great reporting, blogging and conversations, and best of luck Ms. Ham!

Tman on July 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Alright fellas. I guess this means no more passing Hot Gas here at Hot Air since Erika and MKH are here. I think it’s a fair trade-off.
Brains and beauty before comfort.

bigjacket on July 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Blogging? Never heard of it.

-Charles Gibson

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Welcome, Mary Katharine! Great to have you at Hot Air – I can see you are already stirring up enthusiasm.

ghostwalker1 on July 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM

The pic….

It’s the Elaine Benes (Seinfelf) dance, right?

aquaviva on July 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Thread winner. Posting should have been closed immediately.

NotCoach on July 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Mr. Wednesday Night on July 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Beech tree logging is rare, but not unheard of.

Ugly on July 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Just got back from the Pink Floyd show and saw the good news….great to have MKH here………

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

……yea….this is going to work out real good.

Baxter Greene on July 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Thought of you tonight.

Roger Waters had on all black….with shiny white shoes…..

……thought “Dam#…..Mrs. Munford was right….bad look.”

Baxter Greene on July 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Beech tree logging is rare, but not unheard of.

Ugly on July 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

/I hate my fingers.

Ugly on July 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

MKH: Just assure us that you were not sitting amongst Grecian Columns™ when you typed it, and we will let you off the hook!

Welcome.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 11, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Yeah, I think O’Reilly mistook you for a lightweight, MK –
and then couldn’t stand that you cut through his pomp and made him look like a clown. I like him, but he should let you sub for him on Fridays.

flicker on July 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Things just keep getting better around here.

Welcome doesn’t seem quite appropriate since you’ve been around so long.

Maybe… Welcome home!

trigon on July 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Whadda ya know…she’s a celebrity in her own right:

LOL!

Blake on July 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Mary Katharine Ham on July 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

The video of you coming out of the water. Please. Where is it hidden? Give a poor ole Georgia boy a break, would ya? ; )

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Welcome MKH! I’m Twerp the official HA mascot. If the drooling neanderthals that inhibit here give you and trouble-let me, lovingmyusa, or Cindy know. we’ll ‘take care of it’…and stay FAR away from Lorien. Faaar away.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 1:55 AM

The problem with being a neanderthal isn’t the drool, it’s the chaffing on the knuckles as they drag.

WashingtonsWake on July 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

I’ve been searching for the Ham Nation where you toss the cat from the balcony.. This works too. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

WashingtonsWake on July 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

As one of the middle-aged broads here, it is my maternal DUTY to look out for MKH and Erika and protect them from all you alter cockers. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Hi Mary Katharine

Welcome back!

Please keep your O’reilly Factor gig
I love watching your facial expressions of cool indignation

audiotom on July 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Welcome back MKH! Wow, a second helping of Ham for me today :)

…but this Ham is giving me Hot Gas, and somehow I’m down with that.

ornery_independent on July 11, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Am I the only person who doesn’t know who MKH is? I’m glad she is here. But everyone already seems to know her.

There must be something wrong with me.

SparkPlug on July 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Hey what is an alter cocker? You can protect those two from all the guys hitting on them so I can have a chance.

We can cut a deal or something.

SparkPlug on July 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM

MKH Aloha!
Can’t wait to read your articles!

Kini on July 11, 2012 at 2:33 AM

SparkPlug on July 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM

An ‘alter cocker’ is a dirty old man.
Ya’ll know that I like to befuddle folks by talkin’ Joooo! LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 2:34 AM

P.S. Don’t forget the water vid. ; )

Bmore on July 11, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Well.

We’ll see.

But you aren’t my real mom, and you aren’t the boss of me!

*sniff*

*clicks stop watch*

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Do you fight conservatives like atheist pundit Does? Atheist pundit wants a brave new homosexual promoting country.

Mormontheman on July 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Now Hot Air needs to get Bethany from the former realVerse to come back and all will be good and life will be complete.

Namaste

jpcpt03 on July 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM

There must be something wrong with me.

SparkPlug on July 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM

She’s not really a stranger to Hot Air. It’s just been a while.

A couple people have posted links that are worth following, if you want to get an idea what people are remembering about MKH.

Oh, and Welcome Back, Mary Katharine Ham!

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 11, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Awesome.

WitchDoctor on July 11, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Welcome Back MKat !!!

I remember that swimming hole video from Vent also.

Thanks for jogging my memory cells, who need a refresher!

I’ve always been impressed at how well you do your public speaking during debates on live TV. I know how hard that can be, and I’ve always been impressed at how you clearly articulate a Conservative viewpoint.

Awesome job for our side, always!

Jimmy Doolittle on July 11, 2012 at 4:16 AM

I just ask that you never hold me accountable for any of that. Cool? Cool.

It will be Bush’s fault!

Flora Duh on July 11, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Ahhh, Vent and your other videos. So informative yet entertaining too. Hot Air is till top notch but I do miss those vids.

Yakko77 on July 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

But what’s with that picture of a young Maria Conchita Alonso on the front page?

Tuning Spork on July 11, 2012 at 5:14 AM

A great fit. MKH to bring the HA to Hot Air. Good luck!

curved space on July 11, 2012 at 5:40 AM

It will be Bush’s fault!

Flora Duh on July 11, 2012 at 4:25 AM

California is currently in the process of renaming the San Andreas Fault to Bush’s Fault.

crosspatch on July 11, 2012 at 5:42 AM

wow.. has it been so long since “vent”?
man.. those were the days..

johnnyboy on July 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I was thinking exactly the same thing…

BadBrad on July 11, 2012 at 5:51 AM