What’s going on with Jesse Jackson Jr?

posted at 8:40 pm on July 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Last month, his office said he was suffering from “exhaustion.” Last week, they allowed that he’d struggled “with certain physical and emotional ailments privately for a long period of time” and was in the hospital — but would say no more. Tonight, a Democratic source tells Politico, “I don’t think he’s coming back until at least September, if he comes back at all.” His father denied a rumor broadcast on Chicago radio that Jackson had attempted suicide, but something’s obviously gravely wrong.

And the curious thing about it is that it’s DemocratsIllinois Democrats, in fact — who are pressing him to come clean. Michael Moynihan makes the case for disclosure:

With so few facts available, I can only say that if Jackson is indeed suffering from either physical or mental ailments — real problems that must be attended to by real medical professionals — it would be heartless to wish him anything but a speedy recovery. But as ABC News points out, Jackson is facing an ethics probe, and just “days before he left Congress on medical leave, a former fundraiser for Jackson, Raghuveer Nayak, was arrested by the FBI on charges of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to doctors.” Any disappearance shrouded in this much secrecy and circumlocution deserves a healthy dose of irritated skepticism.

Need I point out that Jackson is employed by his constituents, most of who cannot simply disappear from their jobs for a month without explanation? When a public servant claims that his ability to perform his job is hindered by health problems — the type that require at least a month of treatment — their medical affairs are no longer entirely private affairs. I can think of only two recent examples of politicians refusing to inform their subjects of serious medical conditions, save oblique references to a general diagnosis: Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez. When I was in Caracas in February, Chavez was about to again disappear to Cuba for treatment of his mystery illness. Responding to a question about whether Venezuela could still be considered a democracy, an opposition journalist huffed that in democratic countries like the United States, politicians cannot simply disappear for weeks at a time, never telling the public exactly why. I agreed.

A cynic might suspect that he’s faking to douse the heat from that ethics probe, but I wouldn’t leap to that conclusion. The ethics probe might have something to do with it, but it may be a legit case of added stress from the investigation exacerbating whatever real condition he has.

What I can’t figure out is the significance of Dick Durbin and Luis Gutierrez urging him to disclose his problem. That could cut two ways. One: They know it’s politically embarrassing and want it out sooner rather than later so that it doesn’t mess with the Democrats’ campaign messaging down the stretch. They’re throwing him to the wolves, in other words. Two: It’s not politically embarrassing but the needless mystery around it created by the Jackson family’s secrecy is starting to become a liability in itself. Rather than have people wondering if it’s something seamy, the party’s better off if he reveals his condition and puts the suspicions to rest. I’m thinking the first theory is a lot more likely than the second, but either way, expect to find out the truth soon. Democrats are obviously getting fidgety over this. If we make it to Friday without a leak from someone in the know, I’ll be shocked.

Update: Is Gutierrez pressuring Jackson out of spite?

Last year, tensions ran high between Gutierrez and Jackson after the decennial redraw of the state’s Congressional map. Jackson angered Gutierrez when he sought answers about whether the state’s burgeoning Hispanic population required a second majority House district.

Interesting, but then why is Durbin pressuring him too? I doubt he’d want to be on Jackson Sr’s bad side the next time he’s up for reelection.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Roe and Roeper on WLS Chicago said today they’d heard from “top democratic sources” it was a suicide attempt.

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

usedtobeinmich/wasinmich all the same! :)

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM

How are you, S?
C…

OmahaConservative on July 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Doing well – thought it might be you CJ.

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

From the Politico article

Nayak paid for two round-trip airlines tickets for a “social acquaintance” of Jackson’s, a Washington hostess, to fly to Chicago. Jackson later issued a public apology for his interaction with Giovana Huidobro but never explicitly admitted to an extramarital affair.

Democrats expect other to pay for everything for them.

bayview on July 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

You can only swim that far out of your depth so long before it starts to get to you. It’s a Daddy issue. Think of the pressure you’d be under being the son of someone with such a high irrelevance-to-prominence ratio. Best yadas for a speedy yada yada to someone who’d never in a million years return the sentiment. There’s a parking lot in the Loop with an opening for an attendant.

curved space on July 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Doing well – thought it might be you CJ.

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Heh. I’ve been here since 2008, you?
Your politicians are even more corrupt than the last time we connected…

OmahaConservative on July 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

If it was a suicide attempt I feel for him and his family.
However, JJJ is accountable to the people by his own choosing. Suicide attempt or not he needs to let people know what is going on and let someone replace him if it is that bad.
JJJ has been flirting with the devil for a long time. I’ll bet you the story is a whopper.
Chicago seems to the point of no return. Although all good Chicago Democrats would probably argue otherwise.

ORconservative on July 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Illiannoy – where our governors make our license plates!

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Lolz! I’ve missed your wit, darlin’

OmahaConservative on July 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

What if…

JJJ was feeling intense heat from the Nayak investigation, and the only way to exonerate himself would be to rat-out Ogambe and the Godfather? Something like that might cause distress, depression, and exhaustion. I’m starting to think he’s being asked to take one for the team and it’s a big one.

Just supposin…

NumberTwo on July 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I meant I been posting here since 2008…

OmahaConservative on July 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Now and then. More enjoy reading then anything else! Probably since ’08 as well.

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I come and go here. I’m starting to hate 0bama again and breaking commandments, so I take breaks…

OmahaConservative on July 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

What if…

Just supposin…

NumberTwo on July 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

My thought, as well. He is my rep…meh! Mel Reynolds, before JJJ, jailed for underage delinquency. Gus Savage, before MR, jailed for fraud. They sure know how to pick ‘em!,

herm2416 on July 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

OmahaConservative on July 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Sorry to intrude in your conversation, but I hear you there OC. After the Supreme Court ruling Thursday a week ago, I found myself really hating Benedict Roberts in the biblical sense of the word. That’s not a good thing. I think I can honestly say that I have never felt that way about anyone in the past. Sure, I’ve registered extreme displeasure and dislike for many people on the other side, including Carter, Clinton, Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Jim Wright, etc. … and I have supported the military engagement of our country’s enemies knowing that doing so would result in their eternal destruction but have always viewed that as just and the correct application of the power of the state to protect its citizens. This betrayal by Roberts though, that was something entirely different and I think that is what precipitated those feelings, knowing that this was nothing less than a betrayal of our Constitution and the country that Roberts swore to uphold and defend. Now, I don’t mean by that statement about hatred the desire to do him any physical harm, so don’t take my statement to mean that, but the fact that I felt no concern over the condition of his soul.

AZfederalist on July 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM

OmahaConservative on July 10, 2012 at 11:08 PM

AZfederalist on July 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM

…you both have to stay here until November! You can do penance after that for breaking Commandments. The lurkers need you now!

KOOLAID2 on July 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Thanks for that. I’ll be here, this place is what helps keep me grounded; it lets me know that there are others who hold the same views and are equally dismayed with the direction our country has headed.

AZfederalist on July 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Koolaid – I’ll be here beyond November. I just don’t post often but vote as often as I can! My spouse changed residency to Michigan, of all places, after the 67% tax hike in Illiannoy. I’m still here but I don’t have income (LOL). Proud to have Tom Morrison as my local state rep – Hillsdale College grad.

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Maybe Jr. finally realized just who his daddy really is…

Gohawgs on July 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

…hurry up and get here!…we need more conservatives in this state…especially on the east side!

KOOLAID2 on July 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Does anyone think that JJR is hiding out because of the ethics investigation? I’m thinking JJR may implicate the POTUS in the sale of his senate seat rather than face jail time. And, he is in hiding for fear of reprisals.

cpasherry on July 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

That’s very gracious of you, Allah, but it fails to give proper weight to the public record. The Jacksons are vermin. Jesse the Elder is a scumbag of the highest order who has made a life and career out of standing somewhere near MLK when he was shot. He has never worked a day in his life, extorts money to pay for his and his children’s many vices, has children out of wedlock.

Jesse Jr. is a half-retarded Marxist who has also never worked outside of the public trough, which he inherited from his scummy father and his skin color. He uses race as a crutch and also as his only talent, while cheating on his wife, and otherwise acting like an 18 year old, generally.

No, it’s not stress.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 12:05 AM

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I keep hearing this…but why? Does someone so desperately in love with himself as Staples Jackson really “try” to kill himself? Weird.

I am leaning toward some hubris-inflicted wound…coke, crack, any of the infidelity-related discomforts (a bad STD, a serious beating at the hands of a husband, his crazy-b1tch wife filing for an ugly public divorce, etc.)

Looking forward with maximum schadenfreude to learning why my douchebag congressman is in hiding…it should be a delicious story.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

What if…

Just supposin…

NumberTwo on July 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I’ll take this in an entirely different direction. What if he’s actually in protective custody, and the hammer is about to fall on Obama?

He’s in hiding, because he’s afraid for his life.

Just thinkin’ out loud….

nukemhill on July 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

AZfederalist on July 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM

You have every right to intrude. We all studied the same catechism before and after we were confirmed…

OmahaConservative on July 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

A cynic might suspect that he’s faking to douse the heat from that ethics probe

Say what? Don’t tell me that that terrible affliction that only infects public figures – “exhaustion” – isn’t really the killer they all say it is. It requires hospitalization so it must be real. I mean, I’m exhausted thinking about it. Maybe I should call 911 and tell them that I’m suffering from “exhaustion”. What do you think they’ll do – once I tell them I’m not a public figure?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

usedtobeinmich is as Lutheran as both of us…
She knows her catechism.

OmahaConservative on July 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Oh, we’ll make it to Friday, just not through Friday. I’m guessing we’ll see an announcement / info-dump late in the day, after the cable news networks have already done their dinnertime broadcasts.

Mr. Prodigy on July 11, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Don’t know what’s up with TripleJ but I’m sure some of it has to do with what sent Blago up the creek. On an amusing side note, since shrimpcake Luis Gutierrez piped up–if you want a good laugh look up the map for Illinois’ 4th US Congressional District whose large hispanic population Gutierrez represents and check out the ultimate in gerrymandering–that district has been like that for quite awhile.

stukinIL4now on July 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

He better hope Daddy doesn’t get mad at him and does that special surgery on him he wanted to perform on Obama.

bluesdoc70 on July 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM

He’s in hiding, because he’s afraid for his life.

Just thinkin’ out loud….

nukemhill on July 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Then he is not safe. Think of who runs the justice department and Holder is in charge of the US Marshalls, who protect people.

If he is going to speak up to avoid getting locked up, and take down some powerful people, he better have a meal taster. This is the kind of stuff they write movie scripts over.

karenhasfreedom on July 11, 2012 at 12:58 AM

usedtobeinmich is as Lutheran as both of us…
She knows her catechism.

OmahaConservative on July 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Then you understand where I am coming from. Righteous anger is one thing, the feelings that Roberts stirred up were entirely another.

AZfederalist on July 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM

usedtobeinmich on July 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I read the same thing. Could have something to do with the ladies he keeps on the side, his attempt with Nayak to purchase the Senate nomination from Blago or some other ethics violation.

He needs to get kicked out of office. His money overwhelmed a good D candidate in the primary, moderate former Congressman Deb Halvorsen. I think the R facing him is a token.

Hope he moves to his dad’s basement soon!

KenInIL on July 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM

He’s in hiding, because he’s afraid for his life.

Just thinkin’ out loud….

nukemhill on July 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I was just gonna say, maybe there was an attempt on his life that was almost successful. Something like Polonium poisoning to shut him up forever, and it didn’t work, but debilitated him, and it came from his overlords.

Stranger things have happened…

ornery_independent on July 11, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Communism ate his soul now his physical form is folding in on itself, like a star gone hyper-nova turning into a black hole. Don’t confuse the terms though, a hyper-nova is very bright, whereas jackson is not bright at all.

Wolfmoon on July 11, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Prior to moving to Texas we lived in IL 2. The far Chicago South Suburbs used to be vibrant, wonderful places to live. I grew up in the area. It’s wasn’t bad-until Jesse Jackson and his leftist trash came in and turned many of the suburbs into mini-Detroits.
I hope the b#st$rd is suffering.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Can’t say I know the man.
IL can surely be proud though, right?

mickytx on July 11, 2012 at 4:35 AM

The fog needs to clear before I can pass any judgement. But it needs to clear quickly or he needs to vacate his office.

SC.Charlie on July 11, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Jokes aside, I add my good wishes to Mr. Jackson Jr. for a speedy recovery, and to his family.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Good wishes for what, Lady? To recover from a failed attempt made with all cowardice to blow off your own head?

If he was injured and near death because of an accident, I would pray for him. But there is NO way I’ll send good tidings to a liberal racist coward who not only can’t handle reality and tries offing himself because of his weakness, but also fails at the attempt.

Further, such incapacity as to attempt suicide makes him ineligible to remain in Congress. He needs to be censured by that august body forthwith.

Liam on July 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Many here sent prayers, or good wishes.
I am an atheist.
I have no prayers.
I sent good wishes.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 11, 2012 at 5:54 AM

…ditto that!…but people have a right to the disclosure of what’s really going on…he’s not paying the bills like some entrepreneur his side despises…

KOOLAID2 on July 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM

yes Yes YES!! The people of his district are owed both explanation and effective representation. But, like other posters of the prayerful type, I want him to live and be well, whether there are corruption consequences to face or not.

um…amen.

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 11, 2012 at 6:00 AM

And the curious thing about it is that it’s Democrats — Illinois Democrats, in fact — who are pressing him to come clean.

WHITE Illinois Democrats.

Clearly a bunch of racists

FineasFinn on July 11, 2012 at 7:29 AM

He’s in hiding, because he’s afraid for his life.

Well we can hope, but if it’s that, he’s dead. Nowhere to run or hide. If only there were someone who could protect him for testimony like that.

My guess would then be that, the propagandists in the media having prepared the field with suggestions of mental illness, he suddenly turns up dead and it ‘looks like suicide.’

So brother Jesse (Sr.) gets to sacrifice his son for the cause. Nice. I wonder how he’d like that.

Dirty Creature on July 11, 2012 at 7:37 AM

stukinIL4now on July 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Heh, my mom is in Frankfort, he is her rep. Go figure! He became her rep last year. Frankfort, Mokena, and, I think, New Lenox. Not quite his demo!

herm2416 on July 11, 2012 at 7:45 AM

WHITE Illinois Democrats.

Clearly a bunch of racists

FineasFinn on July 11, 2012 at 7:29 AM

A whitey whit and a white latino.

bayview on July 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM

KenInIL on July 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Halvorsen stands for everything junior does–not a good choice. I voted for her in the primary so I could vote against her in the general.

I think Junior may be heading for witness protection, which is infinitely preferable, family-wise, to suicide attempt. I sincerely hope suicide is not the case, even though I can’t abide anything Jackson related.

herm2416 on July 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Well it wouldn’t ACTUALLY be suicide, but your point is still valid, since the Jacksons would have to play it that way in the media or THEY’D all be killed too (who doubts it?)

But I still hold to my position that he’s dead one way or another — who the he** is there to protect him from the Zeroites that isn’t on their side?

Dirty Creature on July 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM

herm2416 on July 11, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Not Mokena or New Lenox; that’s the rookie GOPer Kinzinger. I work here.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM

AZfederalist on July 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM

“Hate” gets a bad rap. We have let the word be defined by the culture (the same way we have let the word “love” be defined incorrectly). We equate “hate” with the Klan, etc. That is, we have defined “hate” as an irrational desire to exalt oneself and/or hurt someone based on a personal bias. Judgment based on individual action is legitimate.

There are things God hates. And the Psalmist wrote, “Do I not hate those who hate you, LORD, and abhor those who are in rebellion against you? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.”

Hatred is rejection. That rejection should be based on actions and be reserved to the actions and results of those those actions… it can be legitimate. I understand the dispensational difference, but the principle is there nonetheless.

Two cents.

mankai on July 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Junior is in this Senate seat buying deal up to his ears. There may be some other ethical issues that cross the legal line as well.

Witness protection? Who could he testify against? They’ve already got everybody else in the Blago deal either convicted, plead out, or turned state’s evidence. And Junior wasn’t senior enough to be privy to any of Obama corruption. They wouldn’t let him in, he wasn’t part of the inner circle. He has nothing to trade.

Nah, he is setting up an insanity defense to avoid prison time. Call me cynical, but I’ve never seen the first thing out of this man to make me trust him in word or deed.

Adjoran on July 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Italics baby!

mankai on July 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

This is Chicago. Has anyone checked his belongings for Polonium?

nhsteve on July 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

AIDS.

Bulletchaser on July 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

herm2416 on July 11, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Not Mokena or New Lenox; that’s the rookie GOPer Kinzinger. I work here.

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I thought she said Mokena/New Lenox. Maybe it was Manhattan and Green Garden. I don’t think Frankfort was the only town. Gosh, my parents have lived in Frankfort since Harlem and 30 was a stop sign! It has changed a lot; no more sleepy, quiet, little town, but a suburb of Chicago now. : (

herm2416 on July 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

If they drop everything he’ll make a speedy recovery. If they throw the book at him, it could escalate all the way up to suicide for sympathy.

At any rate he’ll hold the seat until they can appoint a successor if it comes to that. Like John Stroger, he doesn’t even have to be alive, really.

Silver-spooner, cheater on his marriage, lives in the shadow of his dad. One messed up guy.

MarkT on July 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

What if…

Just supposin…

NumberTwo on July 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I love a good conspiracy theory in the morning, and this one sounds good to me.

Obviously something’s up. This is not a mere case of an ethics violation and a case of the vapors. Chicago pols handle stuff like that over breakfast.

May I add to the fray and say that I see the vengeful hand of the Clinton’s behind this? They’ve been waiting years to take out the pols who screwed them in 2008, and the Jackson clan is high on the to do list.

A lot of people have been wondering why Romney has been so complacent and restrained against some of Obama’s recent attacks. Well, what if he doesn’t need to go all out just yet? What if Romney knows something that we don’t, and he’s waiting for it to drop?

Just asking.

Mr. Arkadin on July 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Good grief, what if he resigns and they appoint Todd Stroger to his seat? Perish that thought!

herm2416 on July 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Jaibones on July 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I agree. Pop the popcorn. What ever Chicago intrigue is going on this time, it is a whopper and it is about time one of these stories got some bright light.
With Chicago turning into a shoot out every night, the Democrat machine is going to have a rough time keeping this little sideshow from becoming a big one.

ORconservative on July 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Has anyone checked the Mayo clinic? That’s a favorite hiding place for liberals in a scandal or maybe Bloggo’s heard from him. JJJ is still trying to get a refund for that senate seat he purchased.

Buttercup on July 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM