Real talk: Allen West will not be bullied, thank you very much

posted at 4:01 pm on July 10, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Rep. Allen West (R-Florida) came under fire last week for a few choice comments about liberal racism, as well as about President Obama actively engendering a culture of dependency.

I really feel that it is demeaning to me to think that I need some individual to justify me and my existence. Look, I went through 22 years being in the military, I rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel, I have a bachelor and 2 masters degrees. And for these white liberals to believe they can have this condescending manner toward black conservatives that we need to have approval from our quote unquote, I guess “masters”, for us to be able to speak – see that’s where the true racism really lies governor is with the white liberals who don’t want to see someone such as myself that broke away from their dependency class and is out here and able to possibly contend against them with the policies that they are promoting that’s destroying the black community. I know I’m their #1 target and it just emboldens me to speak out even stronger.

And:

“Self-esteem comes from doing esteemable things. Sitting at home and getting a check from the government is not going to help your self-esteem. What it will do is make you an economic slave to people living in a far, far, distant place,” West said on Sunday.

Rep. West is often criticized for being incisive, intemperate, shooting from the hip, rabble rabble rabble — but West is having none of it. He doesn’t care what the liberal media does to exacerbate and twist his words, and he doesn’t care who knows it:

“I don’t care about my critics,” Rep. Allen West (R-Fla) said about the response to his comments about slavery and liberal racism. “I understand that my country is at a very perilous situation and i’m going to use the type of words that are necessary to get the attention of the American people.”

“I want to make sure that the United States of America, that has been around for 236 years as the beacon of liberty, freedom and democracy, continues on for our subsequent generations. Our children and grandchildren. And I really don’t care about critics. I really don’t care about the liberal media,” West said.

So. Boss. Even if you don’t like what Rep. West has to say, it’s hard to help admiring the way he says it. He’s never screeching or whining — he’s always calm and measured when he’s laying out his case, and he refuses to be cowed by anyone. Sorry, but I’ll take perhaps-politically-unwise-but-straight-shootin’ real talk over carefully-planned-populist-pandering rhetoric any day of the week.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

You know, given that fact that I’m a racist Tea Party supporter, it’s kind of strange; I would vote for Allen West for any office in the land in a heartbeat. Felt the same way about Clarence Thomas. Thomas Sowell and Walter E Williams, along with James T Harris are some of my favorite commentators.

Funny that.

AZfederalist on July 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Me too!!

And one of my favorite forms of entertainment is to hear Condi Rice take on ignorant lefty “news” folk. Typically, the interviewer asks a loaded question, and Condi responds instantly with well-formed paragraphs that sound like they’re being read from a carefully researched, meticulously foot-noted paper: making the questioner look like a slow child.

I’m also a racist Tea Party Herman Cain fan.

landlines on July 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Funny that.

AZfederalist on July 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Mychal Massie is superb.

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I’m also a racist Tea Party Herman Cain fan.

landlines on July 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Condoleezza Rice. Magnificent.

Would beg, borrow, or bribe the woman into my foreign policy apparatus.

Barring that, any other damn thing she wanted to do.

– racist Tea Party commentator.

Axe on July 11, 2012 at 5:50 AM

I regret that I cannot vote for Col. West as I am not a resident of his district or even of Florida. I look forward to the opportunity to vote for him an a national level. Let us hope that the hatred and racism of the left doesn’t discourage him and drive him away from politics too soon.

swinia sutki on July 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Love to hear and watch this man talk. I’m so very proud of him the way he conducts himself in public and with the manners and speech that is so lacking within the news media and totally lacking in the political arena. This man will go a long way and I’m sorry I am not from Florida to help.

mixplix on July 11, 2012 at 7:32 AM

LtCol West has led men in combat; that takes a special kind of person. He’s a real leader who says exactly what’s on his mind – and he won’t back down. I respect that. And oh, it certainly helps that he’s a proud conservative. Get Barry out of the white house; give us about 10-15 more like Alan West in the House, and a handful in the Senate, and we’ll be well on our way to taking this country back.

TarheelBen on July 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Rice Congratulates Obama Tearfully, Says She Is “Especially Proud” of obamas win!
huffington puffington post. First Posted: 11- 5-08 11:48 AM WASHINGTON — An emotional Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reveled Wednesday in Barack Obama’s election, calling it an “extraordinary step forward” for the nation.

A child of the segregated deep South who became the highest-ranking African-American woman ever in American government and was once considered a potential Republican presidential nominee, Rice called the Democratic president-elect “inspirational” and said his victory was proof of America’s promise.
i’m having trouble with the progressive cabals form of taquiya or kitman:
progressive scholars teach that progressives should generally be truthful to each other, unless the purpose of lying is to “smooth over differences.”

There are two forms of lying to non-believers that are permitted under certain circumstances, taqiyya and kitman. These circumstances are typically those that advance the cause progressiveism – in some cases by gaining the trust of non-believers in order to draw out their vulnerability and defeat them.
those that call evil good and good evil are kinda sick!

tm11999 on July 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Allen West a good man, soon to become a great man. I want a ppv debate between the traitorous, racist, USA hating obama and Alan West, patriot, great American, and future president. HA!

frizzbee on July 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I hope with all my heart that he wins re-election. I don’t know how his district shaped up after redistricting, but I believe there was an effort to try and scew him over by making his district lean farther left. Anyone of his constituents on here know how things are shaping up for him?

dczombie on July 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

West may be capable of making the point he seems to be striving for here, but when he throws in:
‘“He does not want you to have the self-esteem of getting up and earning and having that title of ‘American,’” the congressman said of the president. “He’d rather you be his slave and be economically dependent upon him.”,
he comes off like an ass.
It’s just absurd and idiotic to suggest Obama doesn’t ‘want you to have the self-esteem’…or be wants you to be ‘his slave’.
Pure drivel.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

he comes off like an ass.
Pure drivel.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Pure truth. The arguments Obama and his ilk advance are aimed at encouraging a perverse and tragic dependence on government. You filth-bags have always despised the Enlightenment and its emphasis on individual liberty and universal human dignity and essence, however imperfectly expressed.

ebrown2 on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Pure drivel.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Butthurt much?

Shambhala on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Pure drivel.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Butthurt much?

Shambhala on July 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

These punks are the George Fitzhughs of the 21st century.

“Fitzhugh believed that slavery reduced the pressure on the poor and lower classes; in other words, he advocated slavery for poor whites as well as blacks.”

ebrown2 on July 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Pure drivel.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’d say that applies to just about every thing YOU post here.

zoyclem on July 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Allen West is a founding-father-caliber patriot. Truly.

Is there any other such person in either the House or Senate?

GGMac on July 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Pure drivel.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’d say that applies to just about every thing YOU post here.

zoyclem on July 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Yes, you would say that.
But you don’t say much else.
The quote I pulled is indefensible. But of course that won’t stop a couple of die hards.
My point is that it’s inclusion results in everything West says to be rightfully dismissed by anyone not drunk on the kool aid..
Which is a shame, because I think he often speaks well and makes some well reasoned points. The sooner he learns to drop the pure b.s. he gets worked up into when in front of the torches and pitchfork crowd, the better his political prospects and future will be.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Is there any other such person in either the House or Senate?

GGMac on July 11, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Schadenfreude on July 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Damn, I’ll nominate you for the Tom Daschle Concern of the Year Award come this Awards season.

tom daschle concerned on July 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Pure drivel.

verbaluce on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM

You go ahead and believe that. This administration adds every single day to the list of things wherein they have decided to tell you and me just what we can and cannot do, or have. There is no self-esteem in being controlled by the Central State, and being deprived of choice is slavery by any other name.

However, you are cherry-picking and missing the point of Col. West’s words. He’s a black man who is being castigated by liberals for not being “the right kind” of black man. Meaning one who follows the expected program. A man who has made his own way by his own hard work would have to abdicate his self-esteem to comply with that expectation, and doing so would be giving himself up to the slavery of those expectations. And yes, Obama wishes that exactly, or else he won’t get those votes.

Any person of color who possesses self-esteem should be celebrating men like Allen West for their patriotism and determination to succeed.

Freelancer on July 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I wish Allen West was a NH senator. We could use one with some balls up here. All we have are a couple of pussies. And I mean that both ways. And yes, Ayotte sucks. She;s just another F’ing rino.

woodNfish on July 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Swoon. Man crush. And not ashamed.

Abiss on July 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM