Plouffe: Romney backers are trying to “purchase” the election

posted at 2:41 pm on July 10, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

In a miraculous showcase of exactly what it means to try and have your cake and eat it too, senior White House adviser David Plouffe appeared on ABC on Tuesday morning to criticize Mitt Romney and his supporters for trying “to purchase the White House.”

“You’ve got a few very wealthy people lining up trying to purchase the White House for Mr. Romney,” said Plouffe on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “We’re going to have to have everybody out there who wants the president to continue to a second term to step up and help the campaign.” …

“We had our best fundraising month yet, and we still fell about $35 million short. We can win while being outspent — but we need to keep it close,” said Ann Marie Habershaw, the campaign’s chief operating officer. …

“The real new dynamic in this race is obviously the super-PACs, and we have three or four Republican super-PACs at any time spending tens of millions of dollars aimed at the president. So that’s what’s really new in this election cycle,” Plouffe said.

“Money matters in politics. We’re running a great campaign, we’ve got millions of volunteers out there registering voters, donating $25 or $50, but you’ve got to have enough money to run a one-year campaign and our big concern are these super-PACs.”

Okay, first off, just a gentle reminder: Team Obama currently holds the record for the most money raised by a presidential campaign in a single month, evah. They raised $150 million dollars in September 2008, but now that the tables have turned and Mitt Romney’s camp is already hitting the $100 million mark, they’re throwing a hissyfit. I do not for a hot second believe, as Plouffe claims, that Team Obama fully expected to be outfundraised and outspent by Team Romney — I’d wager they’re rather unpleasantly surprised, and are now trying to play up the put-upon little-guy angle.

Secondly, news flash: All candidates and their supporters try to buy elections. That’s what campaigning is. Just like Plouffe said in the segment, money matters in politics. I know that Team Obama knows this, because I’ve lately been inundated with a barrage of e-mails from Obama & Co. asking me for more money.

We’re getting outraised — a first for a sitting president, if this continues. Not just by the super PACs and outside groups that are pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into misleading ads, but by our opponent and the Republican Party, which just outraised us for the second month in a row.

We can win a race in which the other side spends more than we do. But not this much more.

So I need your help. If you believe that regular people should decide elections, then please chip in $3 or more today.

Really, the Obama campaign can stop acting like the innocent victims of evil corporate usury any time now. Obama was Wall Street’s favorite candidate in 2008, and I haven’t seen him make any moves to shut down the wily outside-group game operating in his favor. What’s more, as Ed already noted, if President Obama is so averse to large donations, how is it somehow more moral to accept gigantic sums from unions (whose donations are almost overwhelmingly Democratic) than corporations (who tend to divide their donations between both parties)?

The hypocrisy truly knows no bounds.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Plouffe: Romney backers are trying to “purchase” the election

The socialist extremists are most upset from the fact that Romney campaign spending will do more to stimulate the economy than all of the TRILLIONS of taxpayer money the socialists wasted allegedly trying to do the same.

TeaPartyNation on July 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Hey Plouffe, you hypocritical pos, your quiver is empty. this is all you have?

rjoco1 on July 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

David Plouffe is just figuring this out? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

BetseyRoss on July 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Standard Obama procedure: accuse the other side of doing what you are already doing first.

albill on July 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

How does this wormy idiot think Obama captured the White House?

rplat on July 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Happy anniversary! Today is the one year anniversary of Hot Air’s most ubiquitous quotation, isn’t it?

novaculus on July 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I have no idea, but I do know that you guys come up with really cool names for your fake scandals.

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Sorry I didn’t post this at 1:24 PM, but I had a work project I needed to finish up. Better late than never!

Del Dolemonte on July 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Little Barack Obama loved that rascal Plouffe

PolarCoug on July 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Laughed so loud I almost woke my sleeping grandaughter on that one. Too funny.

Fallon on July 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

How does this wormy idiot think Obama captured the White House?

rplat on July 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

O’bama lied to the (totally unqualified) Hillary Clinton in ’08 about public financing, then outraised his Republican opponent 2 to 1 thanks to PAC money.

Nope, no Hypocrisy there!

Del Dolemonte on July 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

It takes balls to declare that Romney backers are trying to “purchase” the election when your guy had the largest campaign warchest in history in 2008 and has been paying off his donors by investing in crap companies like Solyndra.

teke184 on July 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Nope, no Hypocrisy there!

Del Dolemonte on July 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Plouffe’s statements are straight off page 23 of the official Dem playbook; whatever we are doing, accuse the other guy of doing as misdirection. It’s in the official playbook so that allows the Dems to be totally blind to their own hypocricies.

ghostwalker1 on July 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

A small caveat to this story. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/07/10/Unions-Have-Spent-4-4-billion-on-Political-Activity-Since-2005, and http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/10/political-spending-by-unions-far-exceeds-direct-donations/ WHO is ‘trying’ to “purchase” the White House? Same story, I know. And yes, it IS the same old story …

Netclimber on July 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM

George Soros’ 2 billion sock puppets each made a $3 donation.

darwin on July 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM

It’s amazing how much money those ‘poor’ ‘palestinian’ ‘refugees’ can come up with isn’t it?

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM

How about a twist on the old “drinking game”. Every time they say this, Ima give a small donation to the Romney campaign.

ronsfi on July 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM

REALLY??? Isn’t that what bami did in 2008.

McCain spent approx $1.25 a vote
Obama spent approx $8.00 a vote now who bought what election???

xler8bmw on July 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

You left out all the votes that Obama has been buying the past 4 years with billions of stimulus slush funds, the hidden slush funds in Obamacare, and every other goody he has given away of our money to buy supporters for himself.

Remember that accounting the next time you add up the dollars involved in “buying an election.”

PrincetonAl on July 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Plouffe must mean like the Muslims.

lilium479 on July 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Just once – once ! – I’d like to see some reporter react to Obama and/or his minions the way Hot Air commenters do !

or, perhaps, Saturday Night Live could do it . . . *sigh*

williampeck1958 on July 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We’re getting outraised — a first for a sitting president, if this continues.

I smell racism as the root cause. I suggest filing a complaint with EEOC, ask for expedited handling and compensation to the tune $500M to be used to buy the election spread the message of Hope and Change.

BobMbx on July 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Soooooo funny. And I don’t even like Romney. But the turnabout is too delicious. Suck it, Barry.

alwaysfiredup on July 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I just want to say that Erika Johnsen has been a TERRIFIC addition to HotAir. I find her posts informative, energetic and always with just the right amount of humor/sarcasm.

Always enjoy reading her stuff!

bluegill on July 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Pouffe must be dizzy spinning back and forth between his proud claims that O’Bozo is going to raise $1 billion from Hollywood and foreign, unnamed donors, and shrieking in horror that Romney is raising a lot of money from Americans, some of whom are very rich.

Hopefully he’ll spontaneously combust soon.

Jaibones on July 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Pouffe!

Jaibones on July 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Rich. ; )

Bmore on July 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM

From the Allen West thread

With my last post I ask that the moderators eliminate the link to my personal information. Congrats, I’m gone.

libfreeordie on July 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Del Dolemonte on July 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 P

M

Sorry I didn’t post this at 1:24 PM, but I had a work project I needed to finish upBetter late than never!

Del Dolemonte on July 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Indeed. That one is never going to get old.

novaculus on July 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

So, PUffy, what do you think witless Obama is trying to do, calling backers and begging for more cash??? Disgusting. So shut up, you fool…. from someone who is sick of stupid liberals.

chai on July 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM

No memory of how Obigspender “purchased” the election in 2008? Wonder what kind of drugs might be causing the apparent amnesia from which his campaign staff suffers.

stukinIL4now on July 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I was unaware that the billionaires and ex-billionaires that purchased the 2008 election were putting it up for sale, I thought they were just taking it public with a new IPO.

duncantwn on July 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM

EFF you, poof.

We know you love to revel in the fact that a certain kenyan purchased an election result in 2008, right?

Right?

Yeah, thought so.

Wolfmoon on July 11, 2012 at 3:07 AM

This from the man that boasts he would have a billion dollars to spend on his re-election.

generouse on July 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM