Did Bob Kerrey’s wife sabotage his campaign?

posted at 12:01 pm on July 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Let’s be clear: Bob Kerrey had as much chance of winning his US Senate race in Nebraska after spending the last decade in New York City as Republicans have of defeating Dianne Feinstein in California with a candidate who actually lived in the state.  The one-time Senator has been as far as 18 points behind surprise GOP nominee Deb Fischer in polls, in large part thanks to his full-throated support for ObamaCare and retiring incumbent Ben Nelson’s betrayal in voting for it.

Kerrey’s wife, former Saturday Night Live writer Sarah Paley, apparently still worried that her husband might eke out a win and force them to live in Nebraska.  How could she keep that from happening?  The Washington Post reports that Paley took out a little insurance — by insulting the state in which her husband is campaigning:

Consider the case of Bob Kerrey — war hero, former governor and senator from Nebraska, presidential candidate. After a dozen years working in New York, the high-profile Democrat, 68, jumped back into politics earlier this year when he decided to run for his old Senate seatvacated by retiring Sen. Ben Nelson.

Exciting news? Not for his wife.

“My friends were understanding, some even as outraged as I that he would choose his country over his family,” Sarah Paley wrote in an essay for Vogue’s July issue. While she insisted her husband would be a great senator, Paley seemingly hates everything else about his decision; she even wrote that she fantasized about a career-ending sex scandal. …

Describing herself as “secretive” and “so private,” Paley said she doesn’t much like politics — or anything that requires social interaction. (“My idea of a good time is when people cancel.”) What do you think about Nebraska, Ms. Paley? “The Midwest is a strange land for an Easterner of my ilk,” she wrote, describing anti-abortion billboards and the deer carcasses her son frolics among. Oh, and take note, Cornhuskers: She doesn’t like football.

What does the candidate have to say about that?  Hey, Nebraskans should get a kick out of her sense of humor:

We reached out to Paley, who did not respond to requests for comment. Kerrey told the Omaha World that while it might appear his wife is “making fun of Nebraskans,” she is just a comedian trying for laughs.

Yeah, that should go over well.  After all, nothing makes Midwesterners laugh more than New Yorkers carpetbagging into their state, running for their offices, all the while joking about how odd the natives are — in Vogue, of all places, where Barack Obama supporter Anna Wintour reigns:

It’s a joke, people!  Unfortunately for Democrats, it’s not the only joke in this campaign.

Comments

Kerry and all should lose due to ObamaTax alone. All, quit calling it ObamaCare. It has nothing to do with care and the SC made it a tax. That’s what it is. It will destroy you and yours, and the best health care system in the world too.

The reality is that in the four months before the election, there’s really no time for Republicans to flesh out an alternative GOP healthcare plan. Nor should they fall for the MSM trap– that it is imperative that the Republicans and Romney lay out an alternative plan. That is a road to nowhere, a detour around the main issue. All that time permits is the communication of the essential message: It’s a tax increase, and the tax-increasers are not to be trusted. The lie has been exposed: It’s the ObamaTax. And now here’s a whole division of IRS agents to extract it from the people.

This is the winning strategy for Republicans. This is the road not yet taken. This is the path that many Republicans leaders, with their blinders on, refuse to see. But it is the road that can lead them to a decisive victory in 2012.

If Republican leaders cannot and will not see the logic of this argument and take this case to the American people, then shame on them.

“Tax” is the Achilles Heel of Obamacare. “Trust” is the Achilles Heel of Obama.

That is how the Obamacare is defeated. Reject the lie. Repeal the ObamaTax.

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Oh, and take note, Cornhuskers: She doesn’t like football.

Yeah. That’ll fly in Lincoln. I am sure.

JohnGalt23 on July 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Carpet bagging….

redguy on July 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Yes, her ilk would rather that her son frolic around the carcasses of babies, who’ve been ripped from the womb.

Her ilk, can just go to hell.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

It’s not like he had a chance.

Apologetic California on July 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Good times.

a capella on July 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

“The Midwest is a strange land for an Easterner of my ilk,”

Thank you God!

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I have some friends who moved from LA to Kansas and they love it. More bang for their buck home wise and excellent schools. They are now living the American dream.

Blake on July 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Oh, and it’s beautiful, too. Where they live is all parks, ponds, streams, and golf courses. What more can you ask for?

Blake on July 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

So HotAir commenter “Uppereastside” is Sarah Paley?

Good to know.

portlandon on July 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Blake on July 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Hopefully they don’t over run Kansas, Join the city councils/school boards/planing commissions, and turn your little piece of heaven into the liberal cesspool that they escaped from.

(I’m a native Oregonian. Ask me how migrating Californians have destroyed my state.)

portlandon on July 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Go Big Red.

taternuggets on July 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Flyover country, aka, John Galt country. Just need to susceed from the coasts, see how long they last. Arrogant B**ch*s!

kirkill on July 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

God, country, family you communist word that rhymes with runt. But whatever. If liberal selfishness is going to help Fischer then so be it.

NotCoach on July 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Can’t imagine why the good people of Nebraska wouldn’t want this snooty b*tch looking down her nose at them for the next six years.

AZCoyote on July 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM

She doesn’t sound too secretive to me.

stldave on July 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM

On behalf of us sensible Easterners, I apologize profusely for this wannabe Glitterati-camp follower.

We didn’t want them here either…really.

BlaxPac on July 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Those Democrats sure do have a sense of humor!

So it’s okay to refer to liberals as “ilk” now?

GarandFan on July 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Wouldn’t you think he’d discussed it with her?

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM

“Nebraska is why it takes so long to fly to LA”

BobMbx on July 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

ROTFLMAO… Bob Kerrey’s wife doesn’t like being forced to travel amongst the dirty unwashed masses that support her aristocracy lifestyle. Next thing you know you’re going to be telling us that the Media lies to people.

SWalker on July 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I wonder where we’d be if millions hadn’t chosen “country over family,” say … around 1941?

The selfish bastards.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Yeah. That’ll fly in Lincoln. I am sure.

JohnGalt23 on July 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yep, all she would have to do now is personally insult Tom Osborne and she would have the trifecta.

Bunsin2 on July 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Do they have ilk hunting in Nebraska?

either orr on July 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Does this couple talk to each other?

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Wouldn’t you think he’d discussed it with her?

Schadenfreude on July 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Maybe shes one of those obnoxious women who say sarcastic things like, “You do whatever you like.” And being a man, he believes her!

NotCoach on July 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Just think what she sounds like inside a NYC taxi. Looking at all of that trash, walking on the sidewalks, so very beneath her.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Bob Kerrey may not have a chance to win the state, but there’s a congressional district in Nebraska that he could try to win to help pull Obama over the line. Keep in mind that Nebraska and Maine award the electoral votes by Congressional District and Senate seat. Even one electoral vote could be significant if the race is close.

Jill1066 on July 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Well, Sarah, we don’t want your “Easterner ilk” living here either. Don’t worry, your husband never stood a chance at winning this seat anyway.

KateNE on July 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hope he gets smoked.

goflyers on July 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

portlandon on July 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Ask me how New York weekenders destroyed Connecticut.
These people are like locusts.

vityas on July 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Before the Battle of Little Big Horn, one of Custer’s scouts came galloping up and dismounted in a flurry of dust and sweat. He said, “General, I have some good news and some bad news to report.”
Custer,-”Give me the bad news first”
Scout,-” We’re surounded by hostiles and about to be wiped out.”
Custer,-”Good heavens , man. Quick, what’s the good news?”
Scout,-” We won’t have that long damn drive back across Nebraska.”

a capella on July 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM

We reached out to Paley, who did not respond to requests for comment. Kerrey told the Omaha World that while it might appear his wife is “making fun of Nebraskans,” she is just a comedian trying for laughs.

Wow, he just described Saturday Night Live, in a nutshell.

No wonder it’s sucked for decades, now.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Oh, and take note, Cornhuskers: She doesn’t like football.

Look, I’m a born and raised Hawkeye girl, but even I know that you don’t say such things in Nebraska. If Ben Nelson was booed out of a pizza parlor, imagine what Nebraskans will do to this woman. (Probably the nicest-worded protest signs you’ll ever see.)

pookysgirl on July 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Go Big Red.

taternuggets on July 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Hey, another Cornell fan.

Or not.

TexasDan on July 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Note to self: stay away from Bob Kerrey’s twitter feed.

TexasDan on July 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Here’s Kerrey’s latest campaign ad, with his wife in it:

radjah shelduck on July 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I almost pity Bob Kerrey. Not only he has agreed to take one for the team up his rear, his wife is busy wiping lubricant off.

Archivarix on July 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM

joekenha on July 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Nancy Grace is a pig.

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Nancy Grace is a pig.

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM

The fact that she’s got a very serious psychiatric problem prohibits me from tell you what I think of her.

I can’t even look at her.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

[telling]

OhEssYouCowboys on July 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

“My friends were understanding, some even as outraged as I that he would choose his country over his family,” Sarah Paley wrote in an essay for Vogue’s July issue. While she insisted her husband would be a great senator, Paley seemingly hates everything else about his decision; she even wrote that she fantasized about a career-ending sex scandal.

So why doesn’t she pose for Playboy or Cosmo and do Nebraska a favor?

Deb Fischer will probably be out selling “Vogue” magazine in Omaha.

With a new toxic Sarah P., maybe the media will leave the other Sarah P. alone…

Steve Z on July 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

So it’s okay to refer to liberals as “ilk” now?

GarandFan on July 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

It’s more honest than considering them as tolerant, enlightened, noble, and the future hope of humanity.

Gladtobehere on July 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

portlandon on July 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I’m a native Coloradoan Oregonian. Ask me how migrating Californians have destroyed my state.

;-)

kirkill on July 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

O/T: Nancy Grace claims another life

joekenha on July 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I wouldn’t blame it all on Grace. People don’t light themselves on fire because someone on TV said something mean about them. Besides, she did drink herself into manslaughter and had a history of DWI’s. It’s highly unlikely her story was ever going to end well.

Esthier on July 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Those Democrats sure do have a sense of humor!

So it’s okay to refer to liberals as “ilk” now?

GarandFan on July 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Yes, and a whole lot of us are planning on doing some major “ilk” hunting in November.

TXUS on July 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

LMAO! I haven’t seen anything that funny since I attempted to watch Saturday Night Live, post Mike Myers/Dana Carvey.

MNHawk on July 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Blake on July 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Mountains.

davidk on July 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM

So it’s okay to refer to liberals as “ilk” now?

GarandFan on July 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Breast Ilk.
Curdled Ilk.
Don’t Cry Over Spilled Ilk.
Land Of Ilk & Honey.
Got Ilk.
The cow is of the bovine ilk; One end is moo, the other, milk.
Ilk Duds.

oldfiveanddimer on July 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

So it’s okay to refer to liberals as “ilk” now?

GarandFan on July 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Do they have ilk hunting in Nebraska?

either orr on July 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

They do but only for residents and non-resident landowners.

Fallon on July 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Blake on July 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

For all of those filthy, unkempt, grubby, gun owning, anti-Communist, Christians to get out of my sight.

- Sarah Paley

OhEssYouCowboys on July 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Do they have ilk hunting in Nebraska?

either orr on July 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

LOL

Nathan_OH on July 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Why does the theme to Green Acres come to mind?

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin’ is the life for me.
Land spreadin’ out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I’d rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

Odysseus on July 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Speaking of the CALIFORNIA race between Feinstein and Elizabeth Emken – - – Feinstein has refused to debate Emken –

For those who don’t know about Elizabeth Emken, you should check her out – she is a really good, pro-life candidate with a lot to offer, and she could use some $$$ help.

Pork-Chop on July 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Kerrey’s still got the votes of regular folks in Nebraska like Warren Buffett.

fadetogray on July 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Go Big Red.

taternuggets on July 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

+1000

tommer74 on July 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

a capella on July 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM

BobMbx on July 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

LOL

tommer74 on July 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I have loathed this pale wussy ever since he bullied Condi Rice (“Did ya connect those dots”) in the 9-11 hearings. He and his ilk can go straight to hell…

Pest on July 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Democrat bumper-sticker for Nebraska “Kerry/The One 2012″.

Flange on July 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM

portlandon on July 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Mother = leftard
Father = conservative (which was never easy in Hollywood)
1 kid = vocally conservative, articulate, and already involved in politics; got into a fight over Reagan with people on a layover in SFX.
2nd kid = unknown

Blake on July 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Pest on July 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

He was awarded the Medal of Honor. “Wussy” probably isn’t the right term.

Kerrey is an even better example than McCain of how voters confuse courage in war with good judgment and character in politics. They are entirely different things.

fadetogray on July 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

….Paley Puke would probably get along with Mooch…Liberals are all outraged about their country!

KOOLAID2 on July 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Good riddance, Kerrey is a fulsome idiot.

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

oldfiveanddimer on July 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

LOL!

Oh, yes … and we all know how terrible (the horror!) it is to choose his country over his family. If it were possible for me to give Sarah Paley and her ilk a one-way passport out of the U.S., I’d do it. She does not deserve this country and she is absolutely not worthy of it.

PatriotGal2257 on July 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Nancy Grace is a pig.

slickwillie2001 on July 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM

That’s an insult to pigs. She is a monster.

MadisonConservative on July 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Do they have ilk hunting in Nebraska?

either orr on July 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Now that there was funny. LOLOLOL

bluealice on July 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Being elected to a national office must be like a drug stronger than heroin. It is amazing how these retreads can convince themselves to run up that hill again.

echosyst on July 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM

He was awarded the Medal of Honor. “Wussy” probably isn’t the right term.

fadetogray on July 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yes, and hell yes, on both of your points! While he “evolved” into just another liberal elite, he has my undying appreciation for his courage and heroism in battle, as represented by that venerable Medal.

TXUS on July 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Sorry, once a wuss, always a wuss, medal or no medal… Just ask John Kerry…

Pest on July 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Maybe that’s why I’ve never heard of her before today and why SNL hasn’t been funny for eons.

Ick.

kim roy on July 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I was at the Independence Day parade in Seward, Nebraska’s “4th of July Capitol.” Both Kerrey and Deb Fischer walked in the parade. Fischer received sustained applause from the crowd when she walked by. Other than a “let’s go Bob” chant that his retinue tried to start, Kerrey received little more than chirping crickets.

HuskerNate on July 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

O/T: Nancy Grace claims another life

joekenha on July 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Who cares about the woman who killed her 3 week old baby while drunk? Not Nancy Grace’s fault at all. That woman was a loser.

Raquel Pinkbullet on July 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

How did Bob Kerrey ever win statewide in Nebraska? How do all these libs keep getting elected in Nebraska?

Raquel Pinkbullet on July 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

HuskerNate on July 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Yep. I’m proud to say he has no chance in this state. About the only downside is that his candidacy is so hopeless that the DNC won’t be wasting any money here.

LukeinNE on July 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I can see why a political career might seem a cleaner one to someone who was President of the New School. But then he wanted to be President of the New School… and after he got them military contracts and everything he expected to be *thanked* by the Leftists there.

Now after supporting Obamacare he expects to get his old political job back as *thanks* from Nebraska.

‘Sunshine’ Bob Kerrey has a problem. It stares him in the face from the mirror each and every morning. And heckles him from his bed, to boot!

ajacksonian on July 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Thought Bob has more sense. Just what he needs, a life of achievement drubbed in the mire of obama politics. Bob, political WHORE….Why?

StevC on July 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Oh, and take note, Cornhuskers: She doesn’t like football.

Yeah. That’ll fly in Lincoln. I am sure.

JohnGalt23 on July 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yah, like a ton of bricks..lolol! I read that article the other day & was thrilled to know those East coast elites have once again shown their true disdain for the down to earth, God Loving, Gun toting, hard working folks of Nebraska! Yep, we love our football & hunting & don’t let the door hit ur a$$ on the way back to NY Bob! Thanks & we really don’t care if she doesn’t like football, we’ll make sure she never has to endure Memorial Stadium on a Saturday afternoon next fall! GO BIG RED!!! (THE Real Big REd-NOT CORNELL – tho my daughter went there..haha)

huskerdiva on July 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Her son frolics with deer carcasses? I don’t know why – we have a lovely zoo here.

CommonSensical on July 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM