Bad news: Looks like there won’t be a Bush on the ticket this year
posted at 3:21 pm on July 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey
Bad news for Barack Obama, that is, who would have loved to run against the Bushes one more time this year. According to Jeb Bush’s son George P. Bush, often considered an up-and-comer for the GOP himself, his dad’s not being vetted in the Veepstakes … at least not yet:
Former Gov. Jeb Bush is not being vetted to be the running mate of Mitt Romney, says a source close to the Florida Republican: his son.
“I don’t have a crystal ball [but] he’s not being vetted right now… He’s one of the few politicians that does what he says in the sense that he’s not actively pursuing a higher office,” George P. Bush said on CNN’s “The Situation Room” Monday.
George P. Bush added that he still thought that his father would “do whatever he can” to help get Romney elected president.
“I see him working hard on behalf of Governor Romney in some key battleground states, but like me he’s going to do whatever he can when he’s called to service this fall on behalf of the governor,” he said.
Not that it will make much difference. Obama and his campaign have so far pursued a two-prong strategy: paint Mitt Romney as a demonic corporate raider, and claim that the alternative to Obamanomics is the Ghost Of W. In fact, the latter has been Obama’s strategy for the last three-plus years, as his economic and regulatory policies have produced the worst recovery in post-WWII recessions. He’s still complaining about having “inherited” a bad economy, an excuse that even Robert Reich has publicly announced he’s tired of hearing.
Romney could have played into Obama’s hands with a Jeb Bush pick. After the reaction to Jeb’s assertion that the party that nominated his family members four out of the last seven cycles and just selected Romney as its banner-carrier had become too conservative, though, that seemed very unlikely indeed. Looks like we’ll get another cycle without a Bush — although someone may need to transmit that to Obama.